PDA

View Full Version : The Head Coach

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I just read this (http://http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryID=10349)
IRVING — In the wake of one of the biggest coaching blunders in Dallas Cowboys history, Wade Phillips suggested Monday he won't hesitate in the future to overrule decisions made by offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

“I need to interject more,” Phillips said. “I didn't. That was the problem.”

For the second time in 24 hours, Phillips accepted blame for the play that marked the turning point in Washington's stunning season-opening 13-7 upset of the Cowboys.

Rather than run out the clock with four seconds left in the first half and Dallas facing a first-and-20 from its own 36, Garrett called for Tony Romo to throw a Hail Mary. But under heavy pressure, Romo flipped the ball to running back Tashard Choice in the flat, resulting in cornerback DeAngelo Hall forcing a fumble and returning it 32 yards to give Washington a 10-0 lead.

& I was just thinking I would hate to hear my teams Head Coach said this. I would rather my Head Coach say, "it's on me."

I don't want to know my team has to screw up so badly before he realizes he needs to "interject" from time to time. & wether you believe it was a bad call or not! They had a whole half to score 14 points & the game winning TD was nullified by the second most penalized player in the NFL in 2009 ( who you just signed in lieu of the most penalized player in 2009)

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
FYI

I just did the previous post on my iPad, and it was a real pain in the ass; the quote & the link... Copying and pasting is a ***** on this thing.

Rey
09-15-2010, 07:07 PM
LOL @ that whole situation....

I think that the call was pretty bad, but I think Romo's decision to not just go down and take a sack or throw the ball away was even worse.

I mean...I can kind of see hitting a guy going deep and that guy breaking a tackle or making a guy miss and scoring..

But I don't understand the point of flipping it out to the RB at all when he'd have so much ground to try and cover for a score.

Both the coach and the players screwed up there. Generally when that happens, horrific things occur...

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 02:37 AM
& I was just thinking I would hate to hear my teams Head Coach said this. I would rather my Head Coach say, "it's on me."

I don't want to know my team has to screw up so badly before he realizes he needs to "interject" from time to time. & wether you believe it was a bad call or not! They had a whole half to score 14 points & the game winning TD was nullified by the second most penalized player in the NFL in 2009 ( who you just signed in lieu of the most penalized player in 2009)

OK, so, from what I've gathered, Phillips DID originally say "It's on me."

And then Garrett came out and said basically, "No. It's my fault. It was my decision."

But.. you're absolutely right, the fact that Phillips is now saying that he needs to actually act as a head coach and tell Garrett what's going to happen (instead of the other way around) is pretty freaking scary if you're a Cowboy fan. The way it's ended up with them, Phillips is the Defensive Coach and titular Head Coach while Garrett is the Offensive Coach and apparently had full reign over whatever was offensive related.

Phillips should have just shut up OR talked to Garrett and told him that he (Phillips) was going to take the fall because he's in charge and to STFU.

I'm hope these guys don't get this crap all worked out before they play us.

The1ApplePie
09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Phillips got embarassed last year when he was overidden by Romo.

It was 4th and 1 and Phillips sends out the punt team. Romo sees them comming out and has the offense stay on the field. You could see him tell the punt team to **** off and went back to the huddle.

Phillips sat on the sidelines looking blankly on while Romo chose a play and converted the 4th down, without him or Garrett saying so.

It confirmed that Phillips was not a real head coach.

The Boys would have two more rings right now if Parcells hadn't retired.

toronto
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I kept thinking when I was watching the game

"I wonder how much its killing Jerry Jones to see Shanahan on the other sideline?"

In the meantime, I'm thrilled, because as long as Wade Phillips is their coach I don't have to worry about the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl.

Mr. White
09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Doesn't matter if he says "Coulda shoulda woulda" or "it's on me." I don't think what Wade says is all that important. Nobody does.

Wade's in a no-win situation. His players don't listen to him and neither do his staff. They don't have to answer to him anyway.

thunderkyss
09-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Can't believe Wade Phillips wasted a time out on that Hester catch in the end-zone. That was an easy no-brainer, not even close.

thunderkyss
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I bet they are rethinking that decision to get rid of Nick Folk right now.

It's also a good time to point out the Cowboys did what I had wished we did, dump Folk, and get a new, fresh kicker.

Hopefully Rackers holds up, and the decision to go with a veteran kicker proves me wrong.