PDA

View Full Version : Playbook

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
You need to watch NFL Playbook, they broke down Foster's big runs off the Zone Stretch, & Mario's dominance.

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Hopefully it'll be on NFL.com sometime soon.

DexmanC
09-14-2010, 07:14 PM
You need to watch NFL Playbook, they broke down Foster's big runs off the Zone Stretch, & Mario's dominance.

I saw on Total Access this morning, Marshall Faulk was downright GIDDY
about the Texans demolishing the Colts on Sunday. All of the Texans fans
in the media are starting to "come out of the closet."

False Start
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I saw on Total Access this morning, Marshall Faulk was downright GIDDY
about the Texans demolishing the Colts on Sunday. All of the Texans fans
in the media are starting to "come out of the closet."

Yeah I saw it too, pretty cool.

Too bad Peyton cant bring himself to do it, lol. :D

record
09-14-2010, 07:18 PM
that was pretty freaking sweet. That is how you win football games. Dominance and determination in the trenches by the OL, a FB blowing it up at the point of attack, and a RB with great vision who follows his blocks and/or knows when to cut back. Just great game plan and execution.

That was such a satisfying victory by the Texans ...thank you

Hagar
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM

I just watched it too and it felt good to get some good press on the national stage.

Thorn
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah, all I see on NFLN now is Foster running. LOL

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I just watched it too and it felt good to get some good press on the national stage.

I'm not so much about the media attention, I was in it for the breakdown of the ZBS.

One of our posters was upset because he thought Kubiak & Dennison showed everyone all our tricks, and all our run plays in week 1. But most of those runs were the same thing, only differences were we either stretch right or left, & which hole Vonta & Arian took.

& when your running back is making good decisions in the backfield, he's hard to stop, even though you know what's coming.

drs23
09-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm not so much about the media attention, I was in it for the breakdown of the ZBS.

One of our posters was upset because he thought Kubiak & Dennison showed everyone all our tricks, and all our run plays in week 1. But most of those runs were the same thing, only differences were we either stretch right or left, & which hole Vonta & Arian took.

& when your running back is making good decisions in the backfield, he's hard to stop, even though you know what's coming.

Thank you TK. We all saw it and it's been discussed among the talking heads and more. Everyone in the stadium and in their recliners knew what was coming, and they couldn't stop it!

DexmanC
09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I've heard Eric Winston state over the last couple years that "when run
right", this offense is impossible to stop. The key then becomes
execution. When the Texans are "on" between their ears, then no one
can stop them.

False Start
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, all I see on NFLN now is Foster running. LOL

Its pretty damn cool aint it? :texflag:

El Tejano
09-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Anyone see Mike Mayock act like he was a fan of the Mario Williams pick?

Thorn
09-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Anyone see Mike Mayock act like he was a fan of the Mario Williams pick?

The bandwagon is starting to get crowded. LOL

Austrian
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
If you haven't seen it yet
from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81a8a3be/Playbook-How-Foster-had-record-day)

Pantherstang84
09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
When you see it broken down like that, it just illustrates how beautiful this offensive scheme is.

Rey
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM

The thing that stood out to me the most when watching the plays being broken down is how good Arian Foster is. His vision and ability to cut are top notch. Dude is definitely the real deal.

On some of those runs the Colts D-line got good penetration and had things under control, but Foster would make a cut and find a seam or make a guy miss to burst through for good yardage...

I came away from that even more impressed with Arian.

The O-line did a really good job, but that wasn't all them. Arian elevated their play as much as they elevated his.

On a lot of those runs, I think lesser RB's wouldn't have gotten the yards he did.

BigBull17
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
The thing that stood out to me the most when watching the plays being broken down is how good Arian Foster is. His vision and ability to cut are top notch. Dude is definitely the real deal.

On some of those runs the Colts D-line got good penetration and had things under control, but Foster would make a cut and find a seam or make a guy miss to burst through for good yardage...

The O-line did a really good job, but that wasn't all them. Arian elevated their play as much as they elevated his.

On a lot of those runs, I think lesser RB's wouldn't have gotten that yards he did.

And he never gets tackled for a loss.

Scooter
09-15-2010, 12:30 PM
nowhere near as often obviously, but many of those holes were there last year as well and slaton just couldnt find them. foster appears to have the right combination of vision, patience, and burst required to be successful in the system and take advantage the shifting lanes of our ZBS. slaton's obviously a homerun threat, but he doesnt have the patience or decision making to be consistant as an every down back in the system.

what i really liked against the colts is that we didnt often see linemen overextending into the second and third levels until they'd successfully passed off their initial assignment. that was a peeve of mine the last couple of seasons, especially with myers - he'd blast into the second level before our guard could get engaged which usually resulted in DT's getting penetration. it's still happening as evidenced in the playbook reviews, but he's getting better at staying within his gap until it's time to release to seal the linebacker.

the play at 3:45 on playbook was almost perfect IMO. C and LG drove the nose tackle until leach had occupied the safety and LG could release to seal the linebacker. RG held space against the DT to open a cutback lane (though he should've located the persuit LB instead of hunting the safety). TE and RT cut the backside persuit. beautiful.

eriadoc
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
*pssst* ... We have good blocking WRs and TEs, too.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice at full speed, but when they broke it down, some of those cuts were sick.

Very impressive indeed.

76Texan
09-15-2010, 02:37 PM
nowhere near as often obviously, but many of those holes were there last year as well and slaton just couldnt find them. foster appears to have the right combination of vision, patience, and burst required to be successful in the system and take advantage the shifting lanes of our ZBS. slaton's obviously a homerun threat, but he doesnt have the patience or decision making to be consistant as an every down back in the system.

what i really liked against the colts is that we didnt often see linemen overextending into the second and third levels until they'd successfully passed off their initial assignment. that was a peeve of mine the last couple of seasons, especially with myers - he'd blast into the second level before our guard could get engaged which usually resulted in DT's getting penetration. it's still happening as evidenced in the playbook reviews, but he's getting better at staying within his gap until it's time to release to seal the linebacker.

the play at 3:45 on playbook was almost perfect IMO. C and LG drove the nose tackle until leach had occupied the safety and LG could release to seal the linebacker. RG held space against the DT to open a cutback lane (though he should've located the persuit LB instead of hunting the safety). TE and RT cut the backside persuit. beautiful.
From my understanding, zone blocking is about a lineman "basically" responsible for a gap. He would go to that gap and block any defender in his way.
I imagine each coaching staff would make certain adjustment in general, and perhaps situational specifically, depending upon the opponent as well.

At times, we don't know when an O-lineman was supposed to do what, and therefore we can't be sure if he carried out his assignment correctly or not.

The only thing we can tell (with certain degree of certainty) is that when the O-lineman fired out directly onto the second level, is that, he was instructed to do so.

I do agree about Slaton not seeing the cut back lane last year (for whatever reason.)

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
From my understanding, zone blocking is about a lineman "basically" responsible for a gap. He would go to that gap and block any defender in his way.
I imagine each coaching staff would make certain adjustment in general, and perhaps situational specifically, depending upon the opponent as well.

At times, we don't know when an O-lineman was supposed to do what, and therefore we can't be sure if he carried out his assignment correctly or not.

The only thing we can tell (with certain degree of certainty) is that when the O-lineman fired out directly onto the second level, is that, he was instructed to do so.

I do agree about Slaton not seeing the cut back lane last year (for whatever reason.)

I believe Scooter is talking about the plays where Meyers gets an initial chip on a double team with one of the guards, then goes to the second level. I think those are pretty obvious Meyers either didn't hold his chip long enough, or wasn't strong enough to allow the guard get the proper leverage he needed.

There were also some that were obvious that Studdard was supposed to stay on a block, but didn't, or Caldwell didn't get in quick enough.

Scooter
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
agreed, that's probably his assignment or atleast part of what he's instructed to do. i just hate seeing it because too often it's that DT who's able to disrupt the play. you can see that happen in the first replay, but being a stretch we were able to get foster outside before the DT could make the play.

drs23
09-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Yes, I think I do. Where does one find this NFL Playbook?

JB
09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Yes, I think I do. Where does one find this NFL Playbook?

:facepalm:drs23

check post #14 in this thread

drs23
09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
:facepalm:drs23

check post #14 in this thread

DOH!:tinfoil: Missed it Lee! Can't hear it here at the shop will have to log on @ home. Thanks.

Seņor Stan
09-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Man, after watching that breakdown, I actually feel BETTER about the running game. If that's possible. Foster has incredible vision. Some of the other backs we have had would have run into the backs of the linemen for a 2 yard gain.

DexmanC
09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
To me, it seems Slaton runs where he's told to run. He has the burst and
speed, but lacks the vision Foster has. His rookie year, he'd press the hole,
and ALWAYS cut back. Defensive coordinators adjusted, and started
overplaying the cutback lanes on Slaton. With Foster, he's like a quarterback
with the running game. They take one lane away, he sees the next one.

Rey
09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
speed, but lacks the vision Foster has.

I think that Slaton is impatient...

I wish that he would slow down a little bit and let things develop, but it's probably extremely hard for him to do that because players normally only play at one speed...That is the speed they know...

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying...I just wish he would let the blocking develop...

But I do think that he's going to break some long runs this season...I think he'll do good as a reliever and kick returner...That is a good role for him...

Rey
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Zone blocking is still man blocking in the sense that you are responsible for a man.

It differs from straight up man blocking in that no matter how the defense is lined up or what kind of stunts they're running you can still execute your play. You have rules...

From week to week those rules may get tweaked a bit depending on what that defense does.

Last week our TE's were really focusing on cutting of Freeney and Mathis from the backside pursuit because those guys tend to crash down really hard.

But zone blocking really just differs from Man blocking in that you have the zone stretch plays and the footwork that you use. The footwork and the quickness to be able to cut off defenders is the biggest thing. Vision and a good feel from the back is super important.

In man blocking you are normally trying to make a defined hole whereas in Zone blocking if your defender outflanks you you just let them go where they want to go and push them past the hole...

You want the defense to flow in a ZBS whereas with man blocking you are generally just hitting it straight at them trying to push them backwards. I think all teams use zone blocking but some use it more than others. Some teams use running plays that just hit straight to a hole more than others.

But in general in both schemes you are still responsible for a certain defender, but in Zone blocking you don't chase...If you are going to the second level and the LB gets across your face without you laying a hand on him then you look for someone else that is in pursuit.

It's kind of difficult to explain over the net but it's really not all that complicated to understand. The biggest part of getting used to it is not understanding where to go, it's understanding the technique and taking the right steps to make the block that you need to make...Keeping your shoulders perpendicular to the line until you have your man outflanked...Not crossing your feet...hand placement..

Wheras in man blocking the biggest part is get low, be mean and drive...Keep a wide base of course....but thats for both kinds of blocking..

But no, you are not responsible for a gap...You have a man that you need to block...

Scooter
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
speed, but lacks the vision Foster has. His rookie year, he'd press the hole,
and ALWAYS cut back. Defensive coordinators adjusted, and started
overplaying the cutback lanes on Slaton. With Foster, he's like a quarterback
with the running game. They take one lane away, he sees the next one.

i agree completely, coordinators took away the cutback and slaton didnt know what to do. slaton's got all the physical tools and then some but doesnt have the vision or patience for a more complex system. he needs a more definitive "go here" assignment where he can make the most of his skillset. foster doesnt have the same explosiveness and top end speed, but he's a more cerebral player and able to anticipate the blocking progression infront of him.

Porky
09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I was excited when we signed Foster as a UDFA last yr but I never thought he was capable of that type of performance. Talk about a steal. He has good size, seems to be a durable type of guy, deceptive burst/quickness and speed, great instincts and cutback ability, excellent vision, and I really like how he is always running downhill. He doesn't dance around and it's rarely east/west with this guy. He rarely gets caught behind the LOS. You can see all of this going back to late last year, but the other day was just a complete thing of beauty. If it was a painting, they would hang it in the Louvre.

And yes, the blocking was fantastic, but Foster took every right read, every right cut, and had the athleticism to maximize that excellent blocking. Any NFL back probably would have gone for 100 given that blocking, but not every back would have gone for 230 in that game.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I was excited when we signed Foster as a UDFA last yr but I never thought he was capable of that type of performance. Talk about a steal. He has good size, seems to be a durable type of guy, deceptive burst/quickness and speed, great instincts and cutback ability, excellent vision, and I really like how he is always running downhill. He doesn't dance around and it's rarely east/west with this guy. He rarely gets caught behind the LOS. You can see all of this going back to late last year, but the other day was just a complete thing of beauty. If it was a painting, they would hang it in the Louvre.ter

And yes, the blocking was fantastic, but Foster took every right read, every right cut, and had the athleticism to maximize that excellent blocking. Any NFL back probably would have gone for 100 given that blocking, but not every back would have gone for 230 in that game.

I liked Foster as well when we signed him. I wasn't sold on Jeremiah Johnson until I saw him run in the preseason. He's very patient, uses his blockers very well, & has a burst & top end.

I still like Slaton, just waiting for him to stop trying so hard, and just play.

Then we get Tate back next year who looks every bit as good as we thought he would.

Damn nice to have these kind of problems

JB
09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
I liked Foster as well when we signed him. I wasn't sold on Jeremiah Johnson until I saw him run in the preseason. He's very patient, uses his blockers very well, & has a burst & top end.

I still like Slaton, just waiting for him to stop trying so hard, and just play.

Then we get Tate back next year who looks every bit as good as we thought he would.

Damn nice to have these kind of problems

That is the biggest issue with Slaton, imo. His first year he was reacting and using his football instincts. He is now trying to thing about the where the hole is going to be instead of just running to daylight. He did show a few signs of getting better last Sunday.

Actually, thinking about it, a lot of his big runs his rookie year came after bouncing off the pile, staying upright and then out-running the defense to the edge.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 08:50 PM
That is the biggest issue with Slaton, imo. His first year he was reacting and using his football instincts. He is now trying to thing about the where the hole is going to be instead of just running to daylight. He did show a few signs of getting better last Sunday.

Actually, thinking about it, a lot of his big runs his rookie year came after bouncing off the pile, staying upright and then out-running the defense to the edge.

Right, I think his success his rookie season was just him, being him. We didn't really block for him very well, very consistently. Sure there were some plays where everything went perfectly, and there were big holes, but we never gave him the clean backside cuts we saw Sunday. And if it weren't for his burst, he never would have made it through the creases we did consistently create.

DexmanC
09-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I was excited when we signed Foster as a UDFA last yr but I never thought he was capable of that type of performance. Talk about a steal. He has good size, seems to be a durable type of guy, deceptive burst/quickness and speed, great instincts and cutback ability, excellent vision, and I really like how he is always running downhill. He doesn't dance around and it's rarely east/west with this guy. He rarely gets caught behind the LOS. You can see all of this going back to late last year, but the other day was just a complete thing of beauty. If it was a painting, they would hang it in the Louvre.

Moose Johnston made that exact point. He would NOT let anyone downplay
Foster's performance. He said, on ESPN, "231 yards, is 231 yards."

Kaiser Toro
09-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Moose Johnston made that exact point.

I recall those being his exact words.

Kaiser Toro
09-15-2010, 11:49 PM
http://kochstory.smugmug.com/Sports/Texans-2010/Colts-91210/IMG3818/1008236676_YN3kV-L.jpg

76Texan
09-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Zone blocking is still man blocking in the sense that you are responsible for a man.

But no, you are not responsible for a gap...You have a man that you need to block...
Of course the O-lineman (or any blocker for that matter) seeks to block a defender (or two or even three if possible).

But let's take a specific example, and perhaps you can tell me who you think our linemen were responsible for.

This is the Foster's TD run against the Dolphins last year. It was 1st and 10 on their 17.

Texans were in offset I, TE strong right.
Leach behind Winston, shading very very slightly to the inside.
We would call an inside zone run strong side.

Dolphins in base 3-4.
NT in strong side A gap with his base just outside Myers' shoulder.
LE in strong side C gap with his base on Winston's outside shoulder.
RE in weak side B gap with his base outside Studdard.
Both ILBs within 5 yds of the LOS.
RILB in weak side A gap just inside Studdard.
LILB basically in front of our RG (White).

We flowed to the right.
Now you tell me which man you think our C, RG, and RT were responsible for?

This is just football discussion.
TK, scooter, dsr23, dexmanc, or anybody, please feel free to give you take.

Scooter
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
edit: i'll try this one again sober

TimeKiller
09-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Slaton had a decent run or two but since last week was Foster's breakout party I think they let the big man go. I hope they get Slaton more involved, a few screens to add to the run or two. So his strength isn't staring through the OL/DL looking for holes to get through...k...send him out to test his speed/agility against DBs.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Slaton had a decent run or two but since last week was Foster's breakout party I think they let the big man go. I hope they get Slaton more involved, a few screens to add to the run or two. So his strength isn't staring through the OL/DL looking for holes to get through...k...send him out to test his speed/agility against DBs.

Last week was a classic case of:

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They made an adjustment that worked and they kept hammering away at what they had found waiting for the Colts to adjust. And the Colts just never adjusted. There was no need to throw or even do any sort of play to try to get Slaton in space because the Colts were doing the same things over and over again.

2. Don't show too much. In the first game, it's nice to keep as much of your offense under wraps as you can so that people won't know the sorts of things you've got set up. We know from last year that we've got all sorts of bubble screens and things to get Slaton the ball in space. No need for them to show it if they don't have to that way upcoming opponents don't have any recent tape on it.

JB
09-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Last week was a classic case of:

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They made an adjustment that worked and they kept hammering away at what they had found waiting for the Colts to adjust. And the Colts just never adjusted. There was no need to throw or even do any sort of play to try to get Slaton in space because the Colts were doing the same things over and over again.

2. Don't show too much. In the first game, it's nice to keep as much of your offense under wraps as you can so that people won't know the sorts of things you've got set up. We know from last year that we've got all sorts of bubble screens and things to get Slaton the ball in space. No need for them to show it if they don't have to that way upcoming opponents don't have any recent tape on it.

They couldn't find a way to escape "The Hammer" Leach...

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Oh, geez, I'm reduced to quoting myself. How embarrassing.

BUT... as I was feeding the cats... I had another idea about this whole adjustment thing.

I'm just really grateful for Dennison. Kyle Shanahan did a great job last year but if he's still here, I don't think he makes the same adjustment at half-time. Maybe it's an age and maturity thing or maybe it's just a mind-set thing, but I think Kyle would have increased his run to pass ratio but I don't think he would have almost abandoned the pass like Dennison did. It seems like Dennison may be more patient than Kyle... or I could be talking out my ass.

JB
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM

BUT... as I was feeding the cats... I had another idea about this whole adjustment thing.

I'm just really grateful for Dennison. Kyle Shanahan did a great job last year but if he's still here, I don't think he makes the same adjustment at half-time. Maybe it's an age and maturity thing or maybe it's just a mind-set thing, but I think Kyle would have increased his run to pass ratio but I don't think he would have almost abandoned the pass like Dennison did. It seems like Dennison may be more patient than Kyle... or I could be talking out my ass.

No, I totally agree with you on this one. And we did see it numerous times last year. Granted, our running game was not good, but we saw our offense keep doing the same things, even after the defense would adjust to it.

At least, in the games where we had a first half lead.

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM

I think Kyle & Kubiak both favor the pass. They know & understand how important it is to run, but when your back is against the wall, we all tend to fall back to who we really are. That's why Martz doesn't run, that's why Reid can't run.

I loved how Kubiak came here, talking about & pumping up how important it is that we run the ball, but if you remember 2006 & 2007, we abandoned the run game so many times, way too early. The game we beat Indy & the one against Miami that year were the only two that I can recall Kubiak hung in there with the run game (even though our avg ypc against Miami was pretty low).

Kubiak & Kyle are products of the passing game, Dennison was born out of the running game. I think it's the perfect union.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 12:15 PM
I loved how Kubiak came here, talking about & pumping up how important it is that we run the ball, but if you remember 2006 & 2007, we abandoned the run game so many times, way too early. The game we beat Indy & the one against Miami that year were the only two that I can recall Kubiak hung in there with the run game (even though our avg ypc against Miami was pretty low).

Don't forget the Raider game where I think Kubiak was tempted to put Bradlee Van Pelt in there.

But, yeah, this could be a great union with Kubiak and Dennison balancing each other out where necessary.

76Texan
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Of course the O-lineman (or any blocker for that matter) seeks to block a defender (or two or even three if possible).

But let's take a specific example, and perhaps you can tell me who you think our linemen were responsible for.

This is the Foster's TD run against the Dolphins last year. It was 1st and 10 on their 17.

Texans were in offset I, TE strong right.
Leach behind Winston, shading very very slightly to the inside.
We would call an inside zone run strong side.

Dolphins in base 3-4.
NT in strong side A gap with his base just outside Myers' shoulder.
LE in strong side C gap with his base on Winston's outside shoulder.
RE in weak side B gap with his base outside Studdard.
Both ILBs within 5 yds of the LOS.
RILB in weak side A gap just inside Studdard.
LILB basically in front of our RG (White).

We flowed to the right.
Now you tell me which man you think our C, RG, and RT were responsible for?

This is just football discussion.
TK, scooter, dsr23, dexmanc, or anybody, please feel free to give you take.

Can we safely assume that as we were moving to the right that the C Myers would be on the NT, RT Winston would be on the LE, and RG White kicking out on an ILB after he had help Myers with a "chip"? (TK's term)

thunderkyss
09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Can we safely assume that as we were moving to the right that the C Myers would be on the NT, RT Winston would be on the LE, and RG White kicking out on an ILB after he had help Myers with a "chip"? (TK's term)

Definitely.

thunderkyss
09-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Guys, if you get a chance, you need to watch Playbook NFC.

1) they don't talk about the Texans in the AFC show (go figure)
2) they do a good job breaking down Dallas run D against Mike/Kyle Shanahan's run game. Very good stuff.

3) they show Washington's problems on offense.

Rey
09-17-2010, 07:18 PM

As long as the defense wasn't slanting or stunting, yes...

texasguy346
09-17-2010, 07:23 PM

They divide it up by the home team. Since we're playing in Washington they cover it on the NFC show.

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM

2) they do a good job breaking down Dallas run D against Mike/Kyle Shanahan's run game. Very good stuff.

3) they show Washington's problems on offense.

Whether a game is shown in the Playbook AFC vs. Playbook NFC depends on the HOME team of the game. Since we're playing Washington, we show up in the Playbook NFC show.

76Texan
09-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by 76Texan

As long as the defense wasn't slanting or stunting, yes...

TK, here Rey is very true!
The defense had the LE and the NT slanting against the flow of the run.

Both Myers and Winston were moving right (toward their area of responsibility) while those two defenders were moving toward the spots our two O-linemen just vacated (the back side of the run play.)

So, even though those defenders lined up on the play-side shoulder of Myers and Winston, the four of them never met.

Instead, the two ILBs were the destination for Myers and Winston since these two defenders both flowed toward play-side.

I wanted to bring up this example to show that our blocker(s) would take on whichever defender that enters his area of responsibility.

If the D-linemen had gone with the flow of the play, Myers and Winston would have taken on the NT and the LE.

There's no "pre-determined" defender for our blocker(s).

thunderkyss
09-18-2010, 10:08 AM
No fair, I wasn't expecting a trick question.

I see what you are saying, with our OL, because I know it's a zone concept, I check alignment before the snap, then a quick pause after the snap, I watch where our guys are looking & where our guys are going, to try to determine what his responsibility could have been.

I don't believe that I am "right" 100% of the time, because there are usually several plausible options.

I know we used to gripe, that Schaub should have more freedom at the line, because "we" didn't buy Gary's notion, that "we feel good about the plays we call." But if you factor in all the possibilities, and all the decisions that can be made at each level, the OL, the QB, the FB, the RB, the TE, the WR... if everyone is on the same page, looking at the same thing, consistently making good decisions, I have to agree, there should be very few occasions where you "have to" audible.

thunderkyss
09-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Baldinger: Houston: Donovan doesn't have enough weapons: offense not in sync

Sterling: Houston: our Dline forced the best third down offense to 4 for 12 on third down.

Theisman: Houston: Schaub is playing at a "Peyton Manning/Tom Brady" level.

Rey
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
TK, here Rey is very true!
The defense had the LE and the NT slanting against the flow of the run.

Both Myers and Winston were moving right (toward their area of responsibility) while those two defenders were moving toward the spots our two O-linemen just vacated (the back side of the run play.)

So, even though those defenders lined up on the play-side shoulder of Myers and Winston, the four of them never met.

Instead, the two ILBs were the destination for Myers and Winston since these two defenders both flowed toward play-side.

I wanted to bring up this example to show that our blocker(s) would take on whichever defender that enters his area of responsibility.

If the D-linemen had gone with the flow of the play, Myers and Winston would have taken on the NT and the LE.

There's no "pre-determined" defender for our blocker(s).

I think we are saying the same thing but with different language. There is a pre snap read made by olinemen. With that read you are looking at how the d is lined up and determining which man you'll block. If the d stunts or slants then you are just reacting on the run. My coach always used to say let your steps do the blocking. Its not just picking up a random defender in a gap because you know that if the d line slants one way you know that a lb has to fill that gap...you know that you have option a and option b as an o lineman... So if the d line runs a stunt or slants you quickly move your eyes to locate the lb taking their spot. now in the nfl teans have a lot more blitz packages but I'm sure they know what teams normally run stunt and blitz wise. But all teams have wrinkles so that is why you trust your steps.

Wolf
09-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Texans-Redskins playbook (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81a9d3b4/NFC-Playbook-Texans-vs-Redskins)