PDA

View Full Version : Texans work out trio of possible replacements for Barwin

Allstar
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a86cba/article/texans-work-out-trio-of-possible-replacements-for-barwin?module=HP_headlines

The Houston Texans, who lost defensive end Connor Barwin for the season Sunday with a dislocated ankle, worked out three free-agent defensive ends on Tuesday morning -- Ryan Denney, Adewale Ogunleye and Bobby McCray, the Houston Chronicle reported via Twitter.

Denney played eight seasons for the Buffalo Bills but was not re-signed in the offseason. Ogunleye is a 10-year veteran who played for the Chicago Bears for the past six seasons. He sustained a broken leg in December and was not re-signed in the offseason. McCray, a seven-year veteran, was recently released by the New Orleans Saints for the second time this offseason. He started all three of the Saints' playoff victories last season.

"We've got to replace Connor for the season now, and anyone that's out there as a free agent is a possibility, so I think all doors are open and we'll continue to look at every possibility," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said at his news conference Monday.

El Tejano
09-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Ogunleye and Mccray are/should be the front runners. I prefer Mccray because if he works out we can keep him for a longer time. However, Ogunleye can make a case after having a 6 sacks season a year ago and having a veteran can only help us down the road.

TexansForTheW
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Seems like Ogunleye could be a steal. He has had a few double digit sack seasons. And I am sure he could play well with us if he is not receiving much attention.

bckey
09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Adewale Ogunleye seems like the best choice to me. We really only need a 1 year replacement with a strike looking like a possiblity and Conner coming back if there isn't a strike.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Adewale Ogunleye seems like the best choice to me. We really only need a 1 year replacement with a strike looking like a possiblity and Conner coming back if there isn't a strike.

Just for clarification, it's a lockout, not a strike. A strike is when players walk out. A lockout is when owners lock the players out. The owners opted out of the current CBA causing a potential lockout.

IDEXAN
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
McCray, a seven-year veteran, was recently released by the New Orleans Saints for the second time this offseason. He started all three of the Saints' playoff victories last season.

Stater in the playoffs just a few months ago for the current SB champs ?
That's pretty impressive, but what the hell is he doing walking around on the streets today ?

Blake
09-14-2010, 12:31 PM
My money is on the Buffalo connection. Bill Collar and Ryan Denney.

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 01:23 PM
I hope we get the guy who is most pissed off, that he got cut & wants to take it out on the rest of the league.

hradhak
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
I wonder if we are bringing in someone if they are only gonna play in the nickel / passing down sets or is it gonna be more of a rotation based on fatigue.

My feeling is that the Ogunleye would be the best of the 3, but I'm surprised that McCray is on the street. This pick up may be a boon for us ala Bernard Pollard

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I hope we get Adewale Ogunleye. He's been to a Super Bowl with the Bears, so he has that veteran experience. He was also pretty productive last season, even at his age. I wouldn't be upset if we signed McCray though. Those are my first and second choices.

09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
denney offers nothing as a pass rusher. i hope ogunleye is the one we sign.

Scooter
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
those are some fairly recognizable names who've been productive in the past, it's a little suprising that they're all still on the street. more than previous accomplishments, i'd be looking at who's kept themselves in the best shape and appears most eager to prove they should never have been released.

Errant Hothy
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Ogunleye, McCray and Denney is my order of preference.

hradhak
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Here is the stat sheet on Ogunleye http://www.nfl.com/players/adewaleogunleye/profile?id=OGU444955

And the same for McCray http://www.nfl.com/players/bobbymccray/profile?id=MCC663361

Oguneleye has gotten at least 5 sacks every year since his rookie year, although it's hard to say what kind of physical shape he's in.

Blazin' Toro
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Ogunleye looks like the best choice to me. Does anyone know when they will sign one of these players? It has to be at least before Thursday just to get them in the rhythm of the defense.

The Cush
09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Hopefully we can make a decision soon so we can get them in here and whip their ass into shape and up to speed.

Preferably, I would like AO because he has a nice body of work. I dont know if any of these guys can bring the versatility Barwin brought but that versatility was a huge part of our exotic looks up front at the start of the Colts game. So if anyone could bring somewhat of that element that would be nice because you could tell the coaching staff worked really hard trying to implement that over the off season, it would be a shame to limit that due to lack of personel.

The1ApplePie
09-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Ogunleye would awesome.

If nothing else, it would be for the Ogunleye-TAN! inside joke me and my friend have had for years.

JB
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Ogunleye would awesome.

If nothing else, it would be for the Ogunleye-TAN! inside joke me and my friend have had for years.

Why put it here if you are not going to share the joke?

El Tejano
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone hear anything yet?

Errant Hothy
09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone hear anything yet?

The lack of news makes me thing something is up. The Pack found out today that Grant is done for the year and they've already signed a replacement.

Curious?

Blake
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
The lack of news makes me thing something is up. The Pack found out today that Grant is done for the year and they've already signed a replacement.

Curious?

Arian Foster for Clay Matthews. Sounds logical. ;P