PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Power Rankings and the Texans

wagonhed
09-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Just made this thread to talk about power rankings and where the Texans show up in them this week. I'm a bit obsessed with these usually, and got so freaking excited about the first one I saw (bleacher report) that I have to post it. Please post more as you see them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/461012-nfl-power-rankings-week-1-san-francisco-49ers-falling-fast#page/26

Guess what fellas.... they have us at #7! That's right. One spot ahead of the Colts! Ahahahahaha!

I'm going to be on a cloud all week after this win.

brakos82
09-14-2010, 01:06 AM
OK, am I the only one not sold on the Ravens and Jets? :thinking:

wagonhed
09-14-2010, 01:07 AM
That one was written before the MNF games. Here is one written tonight and they have us at 3! That's right, THREE.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5790136/nfl_power_rankings_week_two_baltimore_pg2.html?cat =14

brakos82
09-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Well I wasn't before the game tonight either.

powerfuldragon
09-14-2010, 01:12 AM
too early in the season fo rme to get excited about these power rankings. they mean more 8 games deep.

that doesn't mean it's not nice to see. nat'l media's been big upping us lately. that always makes me worry a bit.

wagonhed
09-14-2010, 01:19 AM
To answer your question, I'm sold on the Ravens. Jets, not so much. I agree with those who are calling the Ravens legitimate SB contenders.

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2010, 01:24 AM
To answer your question, I'm sold on the Ravens. Jets, not so much. I agree with those who are calling the Ravens legitimate SB contenders.

After this weekend, our schedule doesn't look as hard as it could have been. Jets and Cowboys are two examples. Another is the Raiders, oddly enough. There was some noise coming from Oakland that they would be legit, but they look like crap (again). We have one game up on the Colts already, too.

wagonhed
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Yeah but at the same time, neither the Titans nor Jags are looking like a walk in the park. The AFC South looks like it's shaping up to be by far the most dominant division in the league.

Austrian
09-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Walterfootball has us as number four in the power rankings, also better than the Colts.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

gtexan02
09-14-2010, 07:35 AM
That one was written before the MNF games. Here is one written tonight and they have us at 3! That's right, THREE.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5790136/nfl_power_rankings_week_two_baltimore_pg2.html?cat =14

This has the Steelers at both 13 and 16 lol.

Texan_Bill
09-14-2010, 07:38 AM
OK, am I the only one not sold on the Ravens and Jets? :thinking:

Nope... You're not the only one not sold. :handshake:

BTW, I hate power rankings.

Thorn
09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Nope... You're not the only one not sold. :handshake:

BTW, I hate power rankings.

Power rankings are a lot of fun if your team is highly ranked. Not so much if you've got a crappy team. Same with press coverage. I'll enjoy the Texans in the limelight while they have it, and ignore the press when they don't. Same as always I guess.

Texan_Bill
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Power rankings are a lot of fun if your team is highly ranked. Not so much if you've got a crappy team. Same with press coverage. I'll enjoy the Texans in the limelight while they have it, and ignore the press when they don't. Same as always I guess.

Well, you have a point but since I've been telling the power rankings for 8 years to "kiss my ass", I'm a little cynical of them. ;)

Thorn
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Well, you have a point but since I've been telling the power rankings for 8 years to "kiss my ass", I'm a little cynical of them. ;)

And you'd be right because they are meaningless, even if they are showing your team in a good way. In any case it's up to the team to win, not the sports writers.

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 08:01 AM
After this weekend, our schedule doesn't look as hard as it could have been. Jets and Cowboys are two examples. Another is the Raiders, oddly enough. There was some noise coming from Oakland that they would be legit, but they look like crap (again). We have one game up on the Colts already, too.

I think we bought ourselves some breathing room, with the Win over Indy. Most everyone probably had us losing both games, and now, I think most will give us a chance to win the second one.

The Cowboys and Jets were swing games IMHO, which we can afford to lose, and not risk our 10-6 hopeful outcome.

I don't see the Cowboys losing 3 games to start the season, so I'm hoping they'll win in week 2. Not that we can't beat them, I just think it makes it less likely. They'll already be fired up for the game, being 0-2 just makes them even more so, & we'll have to match that intensity.

The Jets, we don't play them until November. Not a good month for the Texans & it gives the Jets a lot of time, & a lot of film to work some things out. If Rex Ryan is who people say he is, that's not going to be an easy game.

BIG TORO
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM

The ravens offense just looks like crap to me, even with all the talent at WR.

Also with all these teams that are suppose to be good looking like crap, there are some teams crapy teams looking decent like: Chiefs, and Seahawks.

As far as power rankings, I like them! For some reason there always pretty accurate prediction on how a team is doing. Last year was the first year I kept up with them and it was fun and pretty right on.

Mike Kerns
09-14-2010, 08:30 AM
You know all these will be worthless when they still have the Cowboys in the top 5 probably.

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 08:39 AM
I don't see the Cowboys losing 3 games to start the season, so I'm hoping they'll win in week 2. Not that we can't beat them, I just think it makes it less likely. They'll already be fired up for the game, being 0-2 just makes them even more so, & we'll have to match that intensity.

I just checked their schedule. They play the Bears @ Cowboy Stadium. They'll probably route them, and come into Reliant very confident (overconfident).

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
The ravens offense just looks like crap to me, even with all the talent at WR.

I think people are saying the same thing about our passing game, and taking into account we were playing the Colts run defense. I think we are getting the benefit of the doubt, that we'll get Matt & AJ going.

I think the Ravens are getting that same benefit of the doubt, they are more talented on offense, than they were.

If they look like they did next week, I think they'll start to slip, as will we.

Jeff S.
09-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Is Kris Jenkins related to Bob Sanders? How long did Jenkins last, one whole quarter before he went out with a knee?

Looks like Boldin may be the annual one-in-ten FA signings that work out as planned. Good move for him and the Ravens.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure what y'all saw last night, but other than Kyle Wilson and Cromartie, I thought the Ravens and Jets both had awesome defenses.

Texan_Bill
09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure what y'all saw last night, but other than Kyle Wilson and Cromartie, I thought the Ravens and Jets both had awesome defenses.

I saw that. That said I also saw two fairly inept offenses too.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Yeah, the Jets maybe, but the Ravens moved the ball nicely after that 1st series. They just turned the ball over too much. The Ravens will be good

JB
09-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah, the Jets maybe, but the Ravens moved the ball nicely after that 1st series. They just turned the ball over too much. The Ravens will be good

The Ravens will be good if Flacco doesn't implode. He threw some really bad passes last night and was bailed out quite a bit by Wilson & Cromartie

ChampionTexan
09-14-2010, 09:17 AM

The Jets were inept on offense last year, and appear to have gone in the wrong direction by letting Thomas Jones and Alan Faneca go. The Ravens were somewhat better to begin with, and appear to have upgraded with Bolden.

Ultimately, the key to for both offenses will be the QB, and I'm giving Flacco the clear edge in that battle.

gtexan02
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
ESPN's got us at #7

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

hradhak
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
The Jets offense is atrocious. Mark Sanchez needs to shut his mouth about winning the Super Bowl. I have a feeling he will go the way of Leinart soon. However, the Jets D is something to contend with. That's not going to be an easy game, esp. in NY.

I think the Ravens are definitely a SB contender. Flacco has his moments but for the most part is their weakest link.

I always worry that we get ahead of ourselves with these kind of rankings. After 1 week of football it really is hard to tell whether you are awesome or your opponent just sucks, although I'm leaning towards our week 1 opponent was awesome but we were more so.

Thorn
09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I know it's only 1 week, and it's really meaningless at this point in the season, but look at the link below to see something you've never seen before in your entire life. EVER. The Texans are the number one rushing team in the NFL. LOL's'ville.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Texanmike02
09-14-2010, 01:15 PM
The Jets offense is atrocious. Mark Sanchez needs to shut his mouth about winning the Super Bowl. I have a feeling he will go the way of Leinart soon. However, the Jets D is something to contend with. That's not going to be an easy game, esp. in NY.

I think the Ravens are definitely a SB contender. Flacco has his moments but for the most part is their weakest link.

I always worry that we get ahead of ourselves with these kind of rankings. After 1 week of football it really is hard to tell whether you are awesome or your opponent just sucks, although I'm leaning towards our week 1 opponent was awesome but we were more so.

The Jets D is no where near as good without Jenkins.

Mike

wagonhed
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
It's just good to see us not in the 13-22 range that we have been sitting in constantly for the last 2 years I have been paying attention to these rankings!

ChampionTexan
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
The Jets D is no where near as good without Jenkins.

Mike

No argument, but he did miss 10 games last year, so it's not like they're totally unprepared to move forward without him.

BigBull17
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Sanchez had a little David Carr in em. Looked WAY to fast for the dump. At times the protection was solid. He was dog awful, and Flacco was only a little better.