PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to the Washington Redskins

Pages : 1 [2]

redskins11
09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I have visited this site the past couple years. Really good site compared to other teams. I liked how most of you guys took a more objective approach to the Cushing matter vs every single pats fan who swore their team did nothing wrong in the spygate matter and bought Coach Bs "we had a different interpretation of the rules" schtick.

It seems like some have cherry picked the more homeristic skins fans comments to respond to and cast all skins fans as morons. I guess thats just the way message boards work. Out of 10 posts on any message board, 9 are reasonable and intelligent and 1 is someone talking out their rear. Guess which one oppossing fans pick to cut and paste on their own message board as an example of that teams fanbase?

IMO Cooley and Daniels are almost exactly the same tight ends. I rank them somewhere between the 4-6 best ends in the league after Clark, Davis, Witten and Gates. Gonzalez has slowed down somewhat but years past he would be higher as well.

Both Cooley and Daniels were injured in '09.

In '08 Cooley had 83 catches for 849 yds; '07 66 catches for 786 yds; '06 57 catches for 734 yds; '05 71 catches for 774 yds.

In '08 Daniels had 70 cathces for 862 yds; '07 he had 63 catches for 768 yds.

I dont know aobut you guys, but thats pretty dang similar considering Daniels has had the same coaches and schemes in a high power aerial attack while Cooley has endured repeated coaching changes and for teh past 2 years under Zorn hae had a total of 3 different routes on his route tree. Of course, Daniels gets credit for being a part of and making the Texans passing attack what it is as well.

On top of that, we have Fred Davis an athletic 2nd round pick who put up 48 catches, 509 yds and 6 tds in 10 starts for the injured Cooley last year. Thats pretty good production and depth from your second tight end.

Who is the Texans 2nd tight end? What did he put up last year in Daniels absence? Im honestly asking, not being sarcastic.

I guess my point is, our tight ends are about even with me giving the edge to us because of Davis. i also think Cooley will continue to be a McNabb favorite as he put up 6 catches and 80 yds on some big plays compared to Daniels 1 catch for 6 yds.

Also, everyone respects the Texans offense and knows they have a young promising defense being built. Your not flying under anyones radar! You get respect so stop it already with this "noone respects us" crap. Accept the respect, accept that your are a legit top 10 team, your not the Texans of old and you should make the playoffs this year.

:specnatz:

gtexan02
09-15-2010, 11:55 AM
They are really drinking the koolaid and grasping at straws over there.

Cut them some slack. They were 4-12 last year and just had a major overhaul. They also just beat their biggest division rivals, and probably the most annoying NFL team. If you can't drink the koolaid now, when can you?

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
On top of that, we have Fred Davis an athletic 2nd round pick who put up 48 catches, 509 yds and 6 tds in 10 starts for the injured Cooley last year. Thats pretty good production and depth from your second tight end.

Who is the Texans 2nd tight end? What did he put up last year in Daniels absence? Im honestly asking, not being sarcastic.

Last year, our 2nd TE was Joel Dreessen who caught 26 for 320 yards but only 1 TD and had 11 starts but we use him primarily as a blocking TE and he starts even when OD starts. And the 3rd was then-rookie James Casey who caught 6 for 64 yards. We've got a lot of hopes for James Casey although he's more of an H-Back than our other TE's.

Our 4th TE is a rookie this year, Garrett Graham who is a clone of OD from Wisconsin and he's probably our most talented TE.

The thing is that we consider TE to be an extremely packed position on this team. So it's difficult to think that someone has better TE's than we do.

I'll personally consider this a wash although I really don't think the depth and talent at the TE position is going to be a deciding factor in this game.

Ole Miss Texan
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Owen Daniels is awesome but he's coming off injury. Played some last week but didn't light it up. He's an unknown for me right now.

Joel Dreessen is our primary backup and took over Owen's spot. Not a household name and you don't really expect much but he does very very well with our offense. Doesn't light up the stat sheet but he's they type that does his job well on every play. Really came on strong at the end of last year.

James Casey is a young TE from Rice we drafted last year. Dude will catch anything thrown at him.

Garrett Graham is our 4th TE and is an Owen Daniels clone. Both from Wisconsin.

All in all our TE's don't really scare anybody on paper (outside OD), but for our offense are really really good. Not guys you want for fantasy football, but they're definitely contributors on our team.

Ole Miss Texan
09-15-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll personally consider this a wash although I really don't think the depth and talent at the TE position is going to be a deciding factor in this game.
Beat me to it! I agree 100% with you. Specific to THIS game, depth is very unlikely to make a huge impact. I would give Washington the "edge" on the position just because OD is coming off injury. But then I didn't realize Cooley was coming off injury as well!!

I think Cooley will have more of an impact because we'll be spreading the ball around to AJ, Jacoby, Walter plus Owen/Dreessen. McNabb will target Cooley (as he should) more than we'll target Owen, but that's just a product of matchups not a product of one TE being better than the other.

El Tejano
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Why are you tired of his confidence? I think it is a good thing.

Ha Ha, my bad? I'm wary of his confidence. Didn't feel right to me on Sunday.

Ryan
09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Their boards have tons and tons of absolute facepalm posts :facepalm:

Kyle Shannahan built that offense from ground up.

:facepalm:

What kinda stupid name is the Texans anyways, do they want a fan base outside of Texas??? i just feel like with that name you would be a complete poser wearing their jersey if you were not from Texas....Then the fact that they(TX) already has "Americas team" why the hell did they get the Texans.....anyways that was off topic.

The Texans have known Manning's scheme for years. Didn't seem to help a whole lot.

so winning the game means nothing? But apparently garbage stats mean something.

Houston has Andre Johnson, and Schaub, and yes Foster, but overall, up and down the roster I don't think Houston's offense is a powerhouse like Dallas's is (or at least has the potential to be.

Also, if the Colts can shut down Andre Johnson, so can we.

I've never seen more justifying than i have on that board just now...seems like they're just trying to feel better about their offense that scored a whopping 6 points and played against an offense who has had problems all throughout preseason.

houstonspartan
09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Nothing mean about what I said. I was telling the truth. Very ignorant statement made by some Redskins fan.

I could care less about the national attention the Texans have gotten...I know enough about every NFL team to not make ignorant comments despite their media coverage...If you don't know something, don't speak on it...Otherwise you'll probably get called out..

Those are not ignorant comments to you?

I agree. Whenver someone questions our recieving core, our tight ends and our overall passing game, I automatically know that I'm dealing with a dumbass and I tune them out immediately.

Rey
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM

I don't think we target our TE as much as you guys do. I don't have any actual numbers on that, but I am almost positive. That said, Davis had 48 receptions to Dreesen's 26 (our back-up TE).

Davis beat Dreesen by about, 180 yards. He had 6TD's to Dreesen's 1 TD. Dreesen did beat him in recpetions longer than 20 yards with 6 to Davis' 4. But there is more to being a TE than simply catching the ball...Blocking is a big part of that and Dreesen and OD are both pretty good blockers.

I guess my point is, our tight ends are about even with me giving the edge to us because of Davis. i also think Cooley will continue to be a McNabb favorite as he put up 6 catches and 80 yds on some big plays compared to Daniels 1 catch for 6 yds.

We have a lot of receiving threats...Our receivers all the way down to 5th string are very capable players...While our TE's are pretty good, we grew into a team last year that fed our receivers a lot.

If you look at the receptions from last year by the wr's it's not even close...Santana was way down the list as a primary target...Your second wideout from last year was Randal El with 50 recpetions and your third I believe was Kelly and Thomas who had 25 a piece...Randal El is no longer with your team...

Altogether your whole group of wide outs caught about 160 passes while our first and second receiver did that by themselves...Altogether our group caught about 70 more balls at the WR position.

And before you say that we passed it more than you guys did, we didn't. We actually had about 50 more rushing attempts.

So what is my point with all this?

I do not put a lot of stock in the Skins TE's being better...simply because overall it seems that the WR talent is weak so I would expect them to be more involved in the passing game.

This is not to say that they are not a talented group, but if I had to choose your group of TE's or our group then I'd choose our group 8 days a weak. We are very deep and talented there, and when they are thrown to they normally make the catch and pick up good yardage.

houstonspartan
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Their boards have tons and tons of absolute facepalm posts :facepalm:

so winning the game means nothing? But apparently garbage stats mean something.

I've never seen more justifying than i have on that board just now...seems like they're just trying to feel better about their offense that scored a whopping 6 points and played against an offense who has had problems all throughout preseason.

You have to ignore it. Whenver I see someone questioning our offense, I automatically know I'm dealing with an un-informed, uneducated, clueless football fan, and I pretty much ignore them.

redskins11
09-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks pencil neck and Ole Miss, thats some good info.

I also agree that this game Cooley should be targeted more than Daniels since McNabb is just starting in our scheme and Cooley does a great job of finding cushions in the zones and giving his QB a good reliable target.

With that said, we are just starting out in the 3-4 and outside of Fletcher, I dont think any of our LBs have shown they can cover a solid TE like Daniels. If I was an OC I would try and get mismatches by moving Daniels around to get him lined up against Rocky McIntosh or Orakpo. Both are big strong linebackers who never really had to learn how to cover a TE until a few months ago. I would try to exploit their unproven coverage skills.

For whatever reason, Witten was a non-factor last week.

Who is Jacoby?

edit - rey, dang good post. Glad I didnt come on here to argue. Like I said or should have said, you guys are the favorites in this game hands down. FYI our house was rockin Sunday night so expect a hostile loud stadium Sunday.

Rey
09-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Found it. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/year/2009/qualified/false/count/81)

Davis was targeted 76 times (more than our second WR and only 50 less times than Santana Moss) Dreesen was targeted 39 times.

Fred Davis was targeted more than Randal El.

If OD or Dreesen were in that offense last year I think they would have equally as good if not better stats.

Like I said in an earlier post, I can see a wash there at best and the TE position battle will likely not be a determining factor in this game.

El Tejano
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh, come on.

I think that's really very sweet and gracious. It's really nice when a fan of an old washed up team that hasn't been relevant for 15 years or so wants to sit around and reminisce about the good old days.

I've got a couple of friends who are Raiders fans and it's the same sort of thing.

:whip:

Just do like I do and explain to them that we are only concerned about what another team has done since 2002 because that is when our team started. It shuts everyone up pretty fast and makes them realize how crappy they've been since 2002.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 12:46 PM
You're comparing the (younger) McNabb team that had just went to the Super Bowl, with the current (older) McNabb team that went 4-12 last year? Mario and DeMeco were both rookies back then, too. Oh, and the Texans definitely didn't come out with any fire against the Jets last season.

Our offense wasn't clicking and we only got one turnover.

The offense looked pretty good (with the exception of the Saints game) this preseason and we have no real reason to believe that Schaub and Co forgot how to pass the ball. They were just not in rhythm part of that was a problem getting into the rhythm because we ran so much.

Mike

Truth be told, against the Jets it was the same as with the Colts, except we couldn't run the ball, and we played a better defense.

Defensively we played as well, with just as much fire & intensity, but we made 3 maybe four mistakes, that bit us pretty hard.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks pencil neck and Ole Miss, thats some good info.

I also agree that this game Cooley should be targeted more than Daniels since McNabb is just starting in our scheme and Cooley does a great job of finding cushions in the zones and giving his QB a good reliable target.

With that said, we are just starting out in the 3-4 and outside of Fletcher, I dont think any of our LBs have shown they can cover a solid TE like Daniels. If I was an OC I would try and get mismatches by moving Daniels around to get him lined up against Rocky McIntosh or Orakpo. Both are big strong linebackers who never really had to learn how to cover a TE until a few months ago. I would try to exploit their unproven coverage skills.

For whatever reason, Witten was a non-factor last week.

Who is Jacoby?

edit - rey, dang good post. Glad I didnt come on here to argue. Like I said or should have said, you guys are the favorites in this game hands down. FYI our house was rockin Sunday night so expect a hostile loud stadium Sunday.

Jacoby Jones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EixvqgqlLpQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHcAvBCycvc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzKHhVMsAo0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFMRYUSNjI&feature=related

Rey
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Definitely...I hope that it is a good entertaining game...

Even though I give us the edge in this game, I know anything can happen. Any given Sunday, and the Redskins are not what I'd consider to be a chump team. I think you guys have a lot of talent over there. I think we'll win the game, but if we don't then you guys will have definitely earned it.

And btw, don't be a stranger. We have a lot of visiting fans that post here regularly. Please come back and talk football with us after the game no matter the results.

We atleast have one thing in common and that is a mutual loathing for anything Cowboys...

:handshake:

El Tejano
09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
The Cowboys played horrible, sure, but you would have to credit the Redskins defense.

Coming into this season the Cowboys have had one of the most explosive offenses over the past few seasons.

They have "played bad" and still put up 21 points on teams with lesser defense.

There is a reason the Cowboys could not hit on big plays downfield, with the exception of their final drive and the big pass to Miles Austin.

I will give yall credit but we here in Texas have the inconvenience of seeing their games every week. We also had the opportunity to play them in preseason. That Cowboys offense showed it was going to suck in preseason. They only scored one offensive TD in the preseason and that was because the defense ran a INT back to the 8 yard line. The argument that it's only preseason is nullified when you see how it translated to their opening game. They couldn't even get a FG. Yall brought the heat and trust me that worries me for our game but very quietly Schaub has been showing to be a better QB at dealing with blitzes than Tony Romo

Andre Johnson is a better WR then anyone on the Cowboys roster could ever hope to be, I'll give you guys that, but I am sure much of the focus of our secondary will be covering him with help from a safety over the top, to take away big play potential. He will probably still have a decent game, as most elite WRs still beat double coverage at times.

If he has a decent game, you will know it! This will also mean that Schaub is chucking it around to everyone because once he's on target with AJ, (count'em) Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, David Anderson, Joel Dreesen all start to get touches because AJs decent game is better than alot people's decent game.

As far as Foster. To me the effectiveness of the running game is also going to come down to what the score is in the second half of the game. If the Texans are up, they will use Foster to try and wear down the Skins, set up for playaction. However if the game is tied or the Texans are behind, they will do what any other team would do and abandon the running game altogether.

No they will not. Kubiak, will remain dedicated to the run. The goal for this year is to become a more physical team and even though you can't see this in stats because our running game sucked...in many games where we were losing, Kubiak stayed with the run (causing many people to question the play calling) because it sets up Schaub's awesome ability to do play action pass. Remember Schaub did what he did last year without a running game. He also brought us back in games in which we were down 21-0 at halftime. You may want to ask for Foster to get his carries.[COLOR="blue"]]

To me, the biggest X factor in this game is the 'Skins offense. When you have a new coordinator and new QB, there are going to be struggles, but also there will be times where things seem to get on track ahead of time.

If the 'Skins can score 21-24 points on Sunday, I think they will win.
[COLOR="blue"]Again, don't misjudge our ability to score. 21 points is not going to put us away. Twice last year, we were down 21-0 and we came back to tie the game. I think that you misjudge our running game too because you feel the New England game was a fluke last year. Well take a look at the stats on our offense when we played @ Miami the week before. Miami's got a pretty good D - and yes Jason Taylor and all their big boys were playing because Miami still had a shot at the playoffs. Foster ran for over 100 and two TDs (You don't know because the media didn't care) on their 3-4 defense and Schaub threw for two more there also.

The Texans have a decent offense, but it is not a powerhouse. The 'Skins defense over the past few seasons has held better offenses to under 21 points, but the 'Skins offense was so horrible they could barely muster 17 points themselves.

As a 'Skins fan, I am not worried about our defense, I think we can handle or at least keep the damage to a minimum. It comes down to our offense and if we can put the ball in the endzone three times.

I agree to a point here but again I think you underestimate our offense, and really aren't giving our D any credit at all. You are still seeing the 400 yds of passing offense with 3 TDs that Manning put up and you are thinking Donovan can do the same. If this was Donovan 2nd year with you all, and maybe even December of this year I would understand. However it isn't and Donovan is nowhere near Peyton Manning. I know yall play Eli twice but trust me, he would be a cakewalk for us. Peyton Manning throwing for that many TDs and still losing is a good day at the office

:strangle:

This is going to be a good game no doubt though.

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Who is Jacoby?

Jacoby Jones is a small school guy that we drafted as a WR project a few years ago. He's taken a little time to develop and he's had some maturity issues. His hands are inconsistent. He'll make some amazing catches and miss some easy ones but he's insane fast. We've been getting most of our money out of him on punt returns until the end of last year when he seemed to finally "get it."

He's been pushing Kevin Walter for the #2 spot but he brings a totally different game to the table that KW. KW does everything right: he blocks, he finds open spaces, he makes tough catches. But Jacoby is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. He can really stretch the field.

Thorn
09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
* heavy sigh *

It's only Wednesday and I'm already tired of arguing about the game and who's going to win. But for some reason I keep reading everyone else arguing about the game. LOL

redskins11
09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Just do like I do and explain to them that we are only concerned about what another team has done since 2002 because that is when our team started. It shuts everyone up pretty fast and makes them realize how crappy they've been since 2002.

Thats a pretty selective sample. Im sure when the texans are around for 70+ years, you guys will also have a bad decade. Wait a minute, you guys already have had a bad decade.

Texans since 2002: 49 wins, 79 losses. Skins since 2002: 54 wins, 74 losses.

Of course the Skins have made the playoffs since 2002 and thats with a young petulant owner taking 10 years to learn that owner involvement = team dysfunction.

You are a team on the rise but you havent done anything meaningful yet. Get a 10 win season under your belt, make the playoffs, then win a couple lombardis.

You all should have a great season but I dont know if I would go around bragging or comparing records just yet.

im not talkin smack, just sayin

redskins11
09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
He's been pushing Kevin Walter for the #2 spot but he brings a totally different game to the table that KW. KW does everything right: he blocks, he finds open spaces, he makes tough catches. But Jacoby is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. He can really stretch the field.

Man, I wish we had a Kevin Walter type.

Vinnie
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Skins fans must be putting their money where their mouth is. The line has moved from Houston -3 to Houston -2.5 on my Sportsbook app since yesterday.

Señor Stan
09-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Who is Jacoby?

http://collectiblefootballcards.com/secure/images/products/JoeJacoby-Redskins-150.jpg

Pssshh...Joe Jacoby. I though you were a Redskins fan.

Ndevine7
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Being down in the DC area i cant wait for the Texans to kill the Redskins

El Tejano
09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Thats a pretty selective sample. Im sure when the texans are around for 70+ years, you guys will also have a bad decade. Wait a minute, you guys already have had a bad decade.

Of course the Skins have made the playoffs since 2002 and thats with a young petulant owner taking 10 years to learn that owner involvement = team dysfunction.

You are a team on the rise but you havent done anything meaningful yet. Get a 10 win season under your belt, make the playoffs, then win a couple lombardis.

You all should have a great season but I dont know if I would go around bragging or comparing records just yet.

I wasn't talking smack to you either. I was simply telling someone how to respond when they want to bring up the days of yester year against our 8 years of existence. I'm not comparing records. I'm comparing Super Bowls. Cowboy fans always want to bring up their hey day everytime but anything they have done has led them to the same amount of Super Bowls (even appearances) as us since our inception.

Ole Miss Texan
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks! We will send this on to Kubiak. :evil:

Okay well... uhm... dangit redskin, I got nothing.

El Tejano
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I was looking at stat lines, since that's what everyone seems to be doing and because I saw how often the skins blitzed and all I see they got was one sack by Mcintosh. Dallas' OL had like two hurt starters and they could only get one sack.

Ndevine7
09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I was looking at stat lines, since that's what everyone seems to be doing and because I saw how often the skins blitzed and all I see they got was one sack by Mcintosh. Dallas' OL had like two hurt starters and they could only get one sack.

Yea but Okrapo at the end of the game pretty much got the sack because without that hold he kills Romo

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 01:51 PM
I dont think we will run for 200 yards, games like last week are few and far between. One thing that you should be worried about in future though is the ZBS of Shanahan. Its apparent that it doesnt work like it used to, and Im so glad that we are differing away from it this year.

The prophet Alex Gibbs was basically run out of Seattle, and i just dont think it has a place anymore in the NFL. Watching the Sunday Nights game, you were really struggling at establishing the run with the ZBS. Also, since im not too familiar with your WR, are any of them good blockers? Santana Moss seems too little for me. Thats really key in that type of offense. KW, AJ are both excellent blockers.

Watch our game again, it's straight up ZBS, nothing different. It's ran perfectly the way it is supposed to be ran. Check out the "Playbook" thread in the bullpen.

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Dude, we don't even HAVE a decade, yet.

The point of the original post is that there are a lot of teams that rest on their laurels and the glory of stuff that happened over 10 years ago. The Cowboys fans down here act like they're still the dynasty they were back in the 90's... and they're not. But to rub our faces in the fact that we haven't won a bunch of Super Bowls in the 70's, 80's, and 90's is really kinda stupid because we didn't exist.

Now, if you want to compare records since 2002, you've got to remember that you're comparing records against an expansion team that spent several years being really, really bad. The fact that you've only got 5 more wins over that time frame is really an indictment against your team. You should have MANY more wins than we do over that period.

We're on the rise. We had a big win on Sunday and so did you guys. Now, if we're as good as we think we are, we should go in to your house and win one. If you guys are as good as you think you are, then you should stop us.

It's going to be a hard fought game but... I mean... we wouldn't be fans if we didn't think our teams were going to win the second game of the season against non-elite teams.

No More 8-8's
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
This whole thread seems to be focused on what areas/positions the Texans are better than the Redskins. Lets be honest, its a few of them. But it would be silly to think that we are the hands down more talented team.
1) WASH secondary is still better at this time. Too many first round picks to ignore.
2) HOU may have the best LB duo in football, but not this weekend with Cushing out. Those guys can fly to the ball.
3) Its the 2nd week of the football season, so Clinton Portis has not hurt himself yet. He can still be a force to reckon with if used properly.

Come on fellow Houston fans. Learn from Hakeem, and show some humility. Sunday should be a fun game to watch. Cant wait!!

Ole Miss Texan
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
This whole thread seems to be focused on what areas/positions the Texans are better than the Redskins. Lets be honest, its a few of them. But it would be silly to think that we are the hands down more talented team.
1) WASH secondary is still better at this time. Too many first round picks to ignore.
2) HOU may have the best LB duo in football, but not this weekend with Cushing out. Those guys can fly to the ball.
3) Its the 2nd week of the football season, so Clinton Portis has not hurt himself yet. He can still be a force to reckon with if used properly.

Come on fellow Houston fans. Learn from Hakeem, and show some humility. Sunday should be a fun game to watch. Cant wait!!

Actually, comparing position to position is pointless. It's the matchups that are really important. I.e. Our Passing game vs. their Secondary, Our OL vs. their DL (or front 7)... etc

Thorn
09-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually, comparing position to position is pointless. It's the matchups that are really important. I.e. Our Passing game vs. their Secondary, Our OL vs. their DL (or front 7)... etc

But.....what we are cooking on Sunday is what's really important.

Ole Miss Texan
09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
But.....what we are cooking on Sunday is what's really important.

Anything, as long as it aint crow!

Thorn
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Anything, as long as it aint crow!

Aint that the truth! LOL

drs23
09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Thorn, it sounds like you need a cold one!

CloakNNNdagger
09-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Stopping the run seems to be a primary concern of the Skins going into this game.

With the Texans featuring quarterback Matt Schaub, who threw for over 4,000 yards last year, and receiver Andre Johnson, widely regarded to be among the best in the business, one might think that the Redskins’ first priority on Sunday will be to stop the pass.

Now there is a third weapon that will concern the Redskins on Sunday. Houston running back Arian Foster exploded onto the scene last Sunday against the Colts. After gaining 257 yards in his rookie season, the undrafted second-year player out of Tennessee ran wild, gaining 231 yards on 33 carries.

“He has great vision,” Brian Orakpo said of Foster. “One thing about him, he doesn’t play around. He’s a guy who sees that hole and exploits it and hits it right now.”

“He doesn’t dance. He’s a hard-nosed runner.”

“We have to stop the run,” Orakpo emphasized. “We want them to pass the ball.”

Phillip Daniels agreed.

“Stopping the run is always first,” he said. “It makes for a better day.”
link (http://www.csnwashington.com/09/15/10/Wednesday-Nickel-Package--Redskins-Eye-T/landing_v3.html?blockID=311595&feedID=272)

CloakNNNdagger
09-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Everyone is taking note of the Texans' new found running attack. LaVar Arrington in his column HARD HITS for the Washington post writes an interesting piece.

Redskins-Texans matchups: Arian Foster vs. Redskins defense (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hard-hits/2010/09/redskins-texans_matchups_arian.html)

A key for the Redskins defense will be to stop the run. The question is, how will it do that?

Arian Foster ran into the Texans franchise record book against Indianapolis Sunday, recording 231 yards rushing; 191 of them came in the second half. The Redskins defense held the Cowboys' Marion Barber, Felix Jones, and Tashard Choice under 100 yards rushing combined. For whatever reason, the Cowboys abandoned the run early in the game even though they seemed to be having success. So it's possible that the Redskins defense may have escaped a game without being exposed for having a front that is susceptible to the run.

I believe Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett understands that teams are having success running against his defense inside. To change this, the nose tackle is going to have to be more effective pushing the center into the backfield.

If you watch the game closely you will see guys like Albert Haynesworth leap into the gaps trying to get up field. That is incorrect in this defense. If the nose tackle jumps out of the way of the center, he has just made the center's as well as the guard's job easier. Why is that? It's because by doing that the nose tackle doesn't give the linebackers enough time to read the play and react. With the integrity of the defense altered, the linebackers are forced to have to read run and fill holes much more quickly.

The 3-4 defense, in my opinion, has success against the run by pushing offensive linemen back and creating traffic jams, allowing the linebackers and safeties the time to get to the ball carrier. If the defensive line is unsuccessful at doing this, the linebackers will have to take on blockers. This gives the running back space to navigate through the defense. It's one reason why Redskins safety LaRon Landry had to make so many tackles against the Cowboys.

Successful 3-4 defenses suffocate the whole offensive front, creating chaos for running backs. The Redskins must do this against the Texans.

I give the edge to the Redskins defense. I believe this unit is clear on what needs to be done to improve. Despite the threat posed by Foster, Houston doesn't have the best offensive line the Redskins will face. It should allow Washington to improve in this phase of the game.

Rey
09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Everyone is taking note of the Texans' new found running attack. LaVar Arrington in his column HARD HITS for the Washington post writes an interesting piece.

Redskins-Texans matchups: Arian Foster vs. Redskins defense (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hard-hits/2010/09/redskins-texans_matchups_arian.html)

Successful 3-4 defenses suffocate the whole offensive front, creating chaos for running backs. The Redskins must do this against the Texans.

I give the edge to the Redskins defense. I believe this unit is clear on what needs to be done to improve. Despite the threat posed by Foster, Houston doesn't have the best offensive line the Redskins will face. It should allow Washington to improve in this phase of the game.

Granted it's a small sample size, but I have not seen Foster look bad running the ball once since he's started getting carries.

Until that time I'm going to give our running game the edge.

Dutchrudder
09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
The Cowboys could have easily won this game. They rushed 22 times for 103 yards, which equals 4.7 ypc. I'm sure the Texans could get about that average too, but the difference is our OC will not be stupid enough to abandon the run like the Cowboys did.

Foster will continue to ram it down their throats.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Stopping the run seems to be a primary concern of the Skins going into this game.

link (http://www.csnwashington.com/09/15/10/Wednesday-Nickel-Package--Redskins-Eye-T/landing_v3.html?blockID=311595&feedID=272)

That's our game plan against the Colts. Stop the run and get a lead. Make them throw the ball, worked pretty good to, I thought.

You know I love Peyton Manning, 1st time HOF & all that. But he didn't do his team any favors by taking the play clock down to 1 second almost every play. But you don't hear anyone calling him on it, you'd think with the noise & the situation he'd run the play he was given every now & then.

TexansForTheW
09-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I have no problem passing the ball if we can not run it. Even though I think we will be able to run the ball well against their line. Should be a fun one.

Rey
09-15-2010, 05:18 PM
That's our game plan against the Colts. Stop the run and get a lead. Make them throw the ball, worked pretty good to, I thought.

You know I love Peyton Manning, 1st time HOF & all that. But he didn't do his team any favors by taking the play clock down to 1 second almost every play. But you don't here anyone calling him on it, you'd think with the noise & the situation he'd run the play he was given every now & then.

LOL...Yeah...

I get trying to put your team in the best situation to win, but it's got to sometimes be a little frustrating as a coach when this guy is changing almost all the plays at the line...

TEXANS84
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
“We have to stop the run,” Orakpo emphasized. “We want them to pass the ball.”

Thats fine, pick your poison. Worked real well last time we played the Broncos on Thursday night football against Shanahan and Champ Bailey.

infantrycak
09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Thats fine, pick your poison. Worked real well last time we played the Broncos on Thursday night football against Shanahan and Champ Bailey.

Seriously. That's a quote from someone who has only watched the Colts game and ignored last season. It may also reflect a basic Shanahan/Kubiak philosophy but neither of those guys really gets overly involved in the D.

Scooter
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
wait, teams are going to dare the league's best passing offense to throw the ball this season because they dont want to be crushed by our new rushing attack? is it sunday yet!?!?!?!??!

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
wait, teams are going to dare the league's best passing offense to throw the ball this season because they dont want to be crushed by our new rushing attack? is it sunday yet!?!?!?!??!

O captain, my captain.........:fans::texflag:

Cool
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I see the Reskins who are a team that is fairly dangerous not because of all star talent or amazing players, rather just a very well coached team that we should get a good challenge from.

JB
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
I see the Reskins who are a team that is fairly dangerous not because of all star talent or amazing players, rather just a very well coached team that we should get a good challenge from.

I see pretty much the opposite. I see a lot of talent (other than the WR position) that has not quite fully bought into the system.

edit:stupid laptop

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2010, 06:49 PM

Haha! I'm loving it. It's like people completely forgot what this team did last season through the air...for some odd reason. On the Redskins site, a Skins fan just said that his D will hold Foster half the yards he got Sunday and make the Texans beat them through the air. I'm sure we'd be fine with Foster gaining 115 yards and Matt Schaub airing it out. If Miles Austin can do what he did Sunday, imagine what Andre Johnson can do.

CloakNNNdagger
09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Interesting fact.

There's no need to hire spies to infiltrate the other camp as the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans prepare to meet Sunday: Both teams already have plenty of inside information.

Ten of the coaches who will be on the sidelines were members of the Denver Broncos coaching staff in 2002. Texans coach Gary Kubiak and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan have a working relationship that goes back to 1985. Kyle Shanahan was Houston's offensive coordinator before leaving for Washington this year to work with his father.

Kyle Shanahan says there's no secret what he likes to run against the Texans defense, having done it in practice for four years. He says, "They know what I like; I know what they like."

link (http://www.newsok.com/no-spies-needed-redskins-texans-know-each-other/article/feed/191346?custom_click=pod_headline_nfl-news)

b0ng
09-15-2010, 07:05 PM

We aren't the best passing attack in the NFL currently.

Honestly though, if the Skins are going to be that focused on Foster, and they aren't going to focus a metric ****ton of defensive resources to corraling AJ (And if Hall is manned up on AJ one-on-one then okay, as a Texans fan I'm cool with that) he's going to eat them up way worse than Miles Austin. One thing we didn't bust out too much against the Colts was the playaction (Schaub's pick was on a PA though), and I don't think the Colts were selling out against the run at all in the second half for whatever reason. I can easily see Dennison/Kubiak putting the ball in Schaubs hands a lot and telling him to make AJ proud.

I'm not really that worried about the Skins offense because I'm not a real believer in Santana Moss. He's decent but I'm spoiled by watching Andre work every Sunday. Chris Cooley is good, but we just got finished out scoring Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. I really hope that Bush puts in the work and finds the seams and the weak spots in the Shanahan offense (Hell Richard Smith did it in 2007, it can't be THAT hard), because from what I saw of their game against the Boys it was a lot of short drops to Cooley.

All that said, I've seen the Texans go on the road and drop a fat deuce right in my eyes when they should've been dropping it on their opponents.

gary
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I know this thread is about the game on Sunday but I'd just like to point out some stuff regarding McNabb. Overall he has had a great career and should make the HOF. The one thing I think about which has held him back is winning the big game. That day still might come for him but I have always wondered why he has not done as well as I thought he should in the playoffs. I know all about the SB and the NFC game but more recently he has looked great in the season but not so much in the playoffs. I have been trying to figure out why but honestly I do not know. Sorry, did not mean to highjack this thread but I guess I have now lol.

fiasco west
09-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Haha! I'm loving it. It's like people completely forgot what this team did last season through the air...for some odd reason. On the Redskins site, a Skins fan just said that his D will hold Foster half the yards he got Sunday and make the Texans beat them through the air. I'm sure we'd be fine with Foster gaining 115 yards and Matt Schaub airing it out. If Miles Austin can do what he did Sunday, imagine what Andre Johnson can do.

I hope the Texans win the game through the air. Should give the Cowboys in week 3 plenty to think about.

I keep hearing about "Foster this and Foster that..." everyone has already forgot about that one guy named Andre Johnson?

JB
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Interesting fact.

link (http://www.newsok.com/no-spies-needed-redskins-texans-know-each-other/article/feed/191346?custom_click=pod_headline_nfl-news)

Shanny Jr may know how our offense pretty well, and may even know our defense from last year. But I'll guarantee the Bush will have some wrinkles that catches him completely flat footed. This is not the same defense from last year.

Thorn
09-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Shanny Jr may know how our offense pretty well, and may even know our defense from last year. But I'll guarantee the Bush will have some wrinkles that catches him completely flat footed. This is not the same defense from last year.

Yep. The only way the Texans lose is the Texans defeat the Texans. This game is not up to Washington.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I liked how Denver used to jump to an early lead, then run, run, run, BAM hit them with the big pass and run up the score.

Which is another reason we need Scahub to star hot, like he did against Seattle, Cincinatti, and Miami. He needs to be able to start games like that especially against good teams.

Norg
09-15-2010, 07:38 PM
u know i think we are going to try and run but will have to unleash our Air attack i just got that feeling thats how its going to pan out

U know SHanny is a smart dude he will not respect our RUn he knows what kubes will try and do he thinks the texans will flip flop run heavy last week and then Pass crazy this week

What team will be crazy enough to Let OWEN ANDRE and Kevin walter run around and make 20+ yard Catches

b0ng
09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I hope the Texans win the game through the air. Should give the Cowboys in week 3 plenty to think about.

I keep hearing about "Foster this and Foster that..." everyone has already forgot about that one guy named Andre Johnson?

Nobody sleeps on AJ:

http://xerol.org/sasgifs/v/134/ajtitans.gif (http://xerol.org/sasgifs/img/134)

http://xerol.org/sasgifs/v/128/AJrollin1.gif (http://xerol.org/sasgifs/img/128)

http://xerol.org/sasgifs/v/131/AJpoppinhiscollar.gif (http://xerol.org/sasgifs/img/131)

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Nobody sleeps on AJ:

http://xerol.org/sasgifs/v/134/ajtitans.gif (http://xerol.org/sasgifs/img/134)

http://xerol.org/sasgifs/v/128/AJrollin1.gif (http://xerol.org/sasgifs/img/128)

http://xerol.org/sasgifs/v/131/AJpoppinhiscollar.gif (http://xerol.org/sasgifs/img/131)

Don't sleep on him.

CloakNNNdagger
09-15-2010, 08:32 PM

I believe that this is actually overstated by many. If you look at the Oline and how it has changed approach and technique from the last two years (as relates to the run game), it has turned from the classic Gibbs to a much more creative and less predictable form. This doesn't even take into account the strengthening of the Oline in general and the addition of the Texans' first successful power/break-away combination RB.........neither which Kubiak had at his disposal in planning his schemes during little Shanny's era.

This "comfort" level on the part of Shanny may very well lull the Skins into a false sense of confidence of their ability to stop our offense. Let 'em eat cake.:)

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 08:38 PM
I believe that this is actually overstated by many. If you look at the Oline and how it has changed approach and technique from the last two years (as relates to the run game), it has turned from the classic Gibbs to a much more creative and less predictable form. This doesn't even take into account the strengthening of the Oline in general and the addition of the Texans' first successful power/break-away combination RB.........neither which Kubiak had at his disposal in planning his schemes during little Shanny's era.

This "comfort" level on the part of Shanny may very well lull the Skins into a false sense of confidence of their ability to stop our offense. Let 'em eat cake.:)

The way I feel about it is if Kyle is over there spending his time tutoring Jim Haslett's defense instead of getting his offense ready, point Texans.

C Madd
09-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm more of a fan of this gif

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/corymaddox/35869374.gif

Thorn
09-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Not that predictions by analysts matter, but Inside the NFL on Showtime picked the Skins to win 3 to 1. Warran Sap is who voted us to win.

C Madd
09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Not that predictions by analysts matter, but Inside the NFL on Showtime picked the Skins to win 3 to 1. Warran Sap is who voted us to win.

:confused:

JB
09-15-2010, 09:39 PM

I agree it is overstated, but I am trying to give them the most credit possible, and they still don't quite catch up.

Mari-OWNED!
09-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Well Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger, and even Joe "Redskin Homer" Theismann all chose the Texans to win this week on their show Playbook on NFLN.

-Source (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/15/playbook-picks-bengals-could-have-tough-time-vs-ravens/?module=HP_cp2)

SkinsHomer
09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Nothing mean about what I said. I was telling the truth. Very ignorant statement made by some Redskins fan.

I could care less about the national attention the Texans have gotten...I know enough about every NFL team to not make ignorant comments despite their media coverage...If you don't know something, don't speak on it...Otherwise you'll probably get called out..

Those are not ignorant comments to you?

Since the 06-07:
Daniels: 208 rec, 2510 yds, 12.1 avg, 5.2 YAC, 15 TDs (respectable)
Cooley: 241 rec, 2781 yds, 11.5 avg, 6.4 YAC, 17 TDs

So if there's an edge at all, statistically, it's Cooley. Cooley is also the same height and 15 pounds heavier (it's probably all hair though haha)

Owen Daniels is still recovering from his ACL tear. Chris Cooley is no chump. I don't think its an easy decision between the two.

Anything but an easy decision. I'd take either, but if I had a choice, I'd still take Cooley.

I can understand saying that you think it's a draw but for them to say that their TE group (not just Cooley vs. OD) is better than our TE group just seems crazy to me...

At best I can understand someone saying it's a draw...

Cooley and Fred "Sleepy" Davis are a dream TE set. Who's your second TE? Dreessen? 26 receptions in 11 games for 320 yards in Daniels's absence last season? Compare those to Davis's numbers. 48 recs, 500 yds in 10 games with 6 TDs. If we're goin by numbers, you lose again.

You are aware that Cooley only played in 7 games last season too, right? In 7 games he had 29 receptions and 2 TD's. Daniels, in 7.25 games had 40 receptions and 5 TD's...

No one said that Cooley was a chump. He's just not OD.

Good point, but we also had Jim "Vanilla Yogurt" Zorn and Jason "Captain Mediocre" Campbell running our offense. We didn't have one of the most prolific passing games in the NFL.

You have to ignore it. Whenver I see someone questioning our offense, I automatically know I'm dealing with an un-informed, uneducated, clueless football fan, and I pretty much ignore them.

Your offense is good, probably great. I say probably because until you guys perform like you did last week on a consistent basis, you won't be great. Just because we're not Texan fans doesn't mean we're uninformed. I've had Schaub as my starting fantasy QB in at least two leagues for the last three years, I'm well educated about your offense. I respect it and know what it's capable of. But as a Skins fan, I know our defense and also know what it's capable of, probably more than you are. So before you start calling everyone that questions the effectiveness of your offense against our defense uninformed, uneducated, and clueless, you should give it a second of thought.

FirstTexansFan
09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
So basically you're saying "My teams better, we're gonna win.. neener neener boo boo".. got it :)

SkinsHomer
09-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Jacoby Jones:

Anyone can post highlights, man. Just sayin, I respect the guy, but even our practice squad guys have youtube highlights haha.

Man, I wish we had a Kevin Walter type.

This, damnit. Thanks for nothin, Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly.

Yea but Okrapo at the end of the game pretty much got the sack because without that hold he kills Romo

And don't lie, we allllllllllllll want to see Romo get pancaked as often as possible.

1)Not just first round picks, but too much talent. 'Preciate the respect. Going to be VERY interesting to see how our secondary matches up against your ridiculous passing game, I just hope we can get in Schaub's face, throw him off.
2)So technically, you won't have the best LB duo on Sunday :-)
3)FINALLY! Someone giving CP some respect, although he'll have to run better than he did last week, which will be tough.

LAST SEASON! Last season doesn't mean a thing this season, how long is going to take some of you to realize that??? Foster won't get 115 yards. Andre Johnson scares the bejesus out of me though. Our starting safety Kareem Moore is still out and Laron, while he had a monster game against Dallas, makes mistakes sometimes and AJ lives to exploit DB mistakes.

Yep. The only way the Texans lose is the Texans defeat the Texans. This game is not up to Washington.

:lol: yeah ok, buddy.

SkinsHomer
09-16-2010, 07:26 AM
So basically you're saying "My teams better, we're gonna win.. neener neener boo boo".. got it :)

hahaha I think both sides are doing plenty of that. I don't think I said anything like that though.

Thorn
09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Houston is the better team. Now that doesn't mean they are going to win, we all know the "any given Sunday" saying is quite true. I'm just saying the Texans are the better team. Take that for what it is.

SkinsHomer
09-16-2010, 07:31 AM
I know this thread is about the game on Sunday but I'd just like to point out some stuff regarding McNabb. Overall he has had a great career and should make the HOF. The one thing I think about which has held him back is winning the big game. That day still might come for him but I have always wondered why he has not done as well as I thought he should in the playoffs. I know all about the SB and the NFC game but more recently he has looked great in the season but not so much in the playoffs. I have been trying to figure out why but honestly I do not know. Sorry, did not mean to highjack this thread but I guess I have now lol.

There's no should about it. First ballot, I thought that about him when he was in Philly.

Everyone knows he has issues winning the big game, but to say this game has anywhere near the implications of even a WC playoff game (although, I think some of us think otherwise) is heresy. This is a regular season, non-conference game.

As for the reason he fails to deliver in big games, it's anyone's guess, but I think whatever was holding him back in Philly is not going the be the case in DC. Of course, that's just the opinion of one humble Skins fan :hurrah:

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Since the 06-07:

So if there's an edge at all, statistically, it's Cooley. Cooley is also the same height and 15 pounds heavier (it's probably all hair though haha)

Anything but an easy decision. I'd take either, but if I had a choice, I'd still take Cooley.

Cooley and Fred "Sleepy" Davis are a dream TE set. Who's your second TE? Dreessen? 26 receptions in 11 games for 320 yards in Daniels's absence last season? Compare those to Davis's numbers. 48 recs, 500 yds in 10 games with 6 TDs. If we're goin by numbers, you lose again.

But look at how many times Davis was targeted. He was targeted more than Kevin Walter and more than Randal El! The Redskins don't have as many targets to throw to, and Jason Campbell loves the TEs, so it works against Dreeseen and company, since Schaub spreads the ball around. Talent wise, there isn't a big difference.

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 08:01 AM

I was hoping to hear the Texans make this game sound like their Super Bowl.

As noted before, that's the way they need to approach every game. If they lay an egg against Washington, I'll be extremely upset.

Even though they are talented, we should throttle them. We need to see our team not play down to the level of our opponents. Washington has a top ten passing D, but that's what our running game is supposed to loosen up for us.

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 08:03 AM
As for the reason he fails to deliver in big games, it's anyone's guess, but I think whatever was holding him back in Philly is not going the be the case in DC. Of course, that's just the opinion of one humble Skins fan :hurrah:

Same as Peyton, he's basically the offense. In Philly, he was even pseudo offensive coordinator, like Peyton in Indy. They need to get better talent around him (I know they've tried) & they need a "big-picture" guy running the offense, not the guy on the field.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Since the 06-07:

Good point, but we also had Jim "Vanilla Yogurt" Zorn and Jason "Captain Mediocre" Campbell running our offense. We didn't have one of the most prolific passing games in the NFL.

Your offense is good, probably great. I say probably because until you guys perform like you did last week on a consistent basis, you won't be great. Just because we're not Texan fans doesn't mean we're uninformed. I've had Schaub as my starting fantasy QB in at least two leagues for the last three years, I'm well educated about your offense. I respect it and know what it's capable of. But as a Skins fan, I know our defense and also know what it's capable of, probably more than you are. So before you start calling everyone that questions the effectiveness of your offense against our defense uninformed, uneducated, and clueless, you should give it a second of thought.

:yawn:

Andre "Beast" Johnson > Pigeon > 3 x's Cooley and the rest of the skins offensive weapons

CloakNNNdagger
09-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Redskins seek to speed up tempo on offense against Texans (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-seek-to-speed-up-temp.html)

The Redskins' offense produced only 250 total net yards and failed to score a touchdown in the season-opening victory over the Cowboys.

Washington plays host to the Houston Texans on Sunday at FedEx Field, and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan would prefer to see significant improvement from the group.

"I would like to score some more points first of all, but our main goal is to score more then the other team and we have done that so far," Shanahan said. "I really just want to see us be sharper. This was really our first time last week taking three quarters where our whole 11 guys, with our starters, have been together for a game.

"The tempo, it wasn't what we want. It was a little too slow just getting out of the huddle. We want it quicker and we want to get up to the line faster. And hopefully, as we get going, that will happen."

The Redskins were close to breaking some long runs, but "that is how it always is in the run game for pretty much every team," Shanahan said. "Anytime you have an eight-man front, there is a guy in every gap. And one guy gets out of his gap then there is no one else. If they are right on, it is a two-yard run. If one guy got out of his gap, then the next guy you meet is the middle deep safety who is 50 yards away. So, it's a very fine line when you run the ball and commit to the run.

"Usually it happens like that, you have some two-yarders, three-yarders and hopefully you start breaking them down and your guys find the gaps and you start getting the longer ones. It happened to us a little in the fourth quarter and we started getting some longer runs. We started getting it going a little, still not where we wanted, but the zone scheme, everything we are doing, the more we work together and getting guys to move together, the more that one guy, that one mess up, that one weak link, will allow us to get less one-yard carries and more six and eight."

Just as the Texans found in their first years of trying to run the Gibbs system, the very opposite is also true..................it takes a lot for the OL to work together and move together..........and it just takes that one guy (on the OL), that one mess up (on the OL), that one weak link(on the OL) to limit to the production of the run game to one-yard carries. And even if the OL moves in perfect concert, you better have the right RB to consumate the system. The Skins are on shaky grounds at this point in their "development" of their run game...........our DL is not.

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 08:36 AM
LAST SEASON! Last season doesn't mean a thing this season, how long is going to take some of you to realize that???
It does when we're talking about the Texans offense. We all talk about needing to be consistent, this season (for Houston) we have to be consistent week in and week out with the same aggressiveness and play a full 60 minutes.

Last season's offense was no fluke. The last two years we've been ranked like the 3rd and 4th best offense in the league. We were the #1 passing team in the league last year, 3rd in 2008. Andre Johnson has been the #1 WR the last two years.

We've got the same passing attack that we've had the last two years, Schaub and the rest of the players are more well versed in their assignments and limiting mistakes, so we as Texans fans have every reason to point to not just LAST season but 2008 as well.

b0ng
09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
There's no should about it. First ballot, I thought that about him when he was in Philly.

*record scratch*

He might get in, no way he goes first ballot. He'd be a first ballot, no problem, slam dunk, auto-cinch if we were talking about the Hall of Really Really Good, but there's no way you can say he's a first ballot guy to Canton with a straight face. He's probably competing with Manning, Brady, maybe Brees, maybe Big Ben, and maybe Kurt Warner. I loved watching McNabb play in Philly and I do think that entire fan base did him dirty for an entire decade, but he just really doesn't have the record breaking stats that HOF voters are going to require for him to get in. You could also blame the Philly organization for never getting him anybody worth throwing to besides T.O. for that one year, but that's not going to convince any sports journalist that he belongs in there.

I think that he probably should go in just because he played extremely well for a fan base that hated him and a team that did him no favors really, but if he does get in, I don't think it's going to be first ballot. Which sucks.

On a different note, why are a lot of 'Skins fans trying to hang their hat on Shanahan Jr and Sr working with Kubiak during their careers? There are a lot of coaches who have worked with each other as their careers get longer and longer, but these teams change a lot almost every off season. I mean, am I expected to believe that Kyle Shanahan knows some super secret to shutting down Andre Johnson that isn't "Get in Matt Schaubs face" that the rest of the NFL hasn't figured out? Really? Or that Kyle (again) is going to be able to say for sure that he knows everything that the Texans defense is going to do in the game? I know that Kyle will have some good points for Haslett on our passing offense (And if Kubiak didn't change anything Shanahan jr installed then he deserves to lose anyway), but the only year Kyle was in charge of passing and running our running game was total shit.

If I were a 'Skins guy I'd be talking a whole lot more about Brian Orakpo (Easily the best player on the 'Skins D), London Fletcher, and how the defense is going to play more than who the coaches are. I'd be hyping up finally having a QB who doesn't wilt under pressure, and Chris Cooley, not "Hey my OC came from this team, this is a lead pipe cinch right here". Maybe I'm jaded, but I never bought into Kubiak knowing Shanahan inside and out when the Texans played the Broncos in 2007, or when we played the Cardinals in 2009 and Frank Bush was still somewhat fresh from his stay in Arizona. I've read Kyle's comments on knowing what the Texans are going to supposedly do, and I've read Fletchers comments thinking that they'll have an edge and that's just grand. I think the actual edges that the 'Skins will need to have though will fall into a few categories: Turnovers, penalties, and points allowed. If they can keep the Texans under 20 then they have a pretty good shot at winning the game, but I'd be really scared of a shoot-out happening because the Texans have a ton of talent on offense (Which includes the O-line in a big big way) and have been playing in the same basic offense since 2007, which is mostly an idea that Kubiak has dreamed up.

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 08:46 AM
:bravo: Couldn't agree more.

I think that's funny too. But the way I see it, or the way I'm reading what guys like Orakpo are saying, is that the Redskins have got a great pass rush. Particularly Orakpo. Whenever teams pass the ball, it always exposes the QB and we don't want Schaub getting hit. The more we pass, the more they bring Orakpo and blitzers, the more likely they get turnovers. If we can run hog wild like we did against Indy (who also have GREAT pass rushers) it limits their effectiveness. We control the clock and their biggest asset (Orakpo, Freeney, etc.) is having to chase a ball carrier which isn't their strongsuit.

I hope we can have a balanced offense, win the turnover battle, everyone stays healthy and we walk out of this game with another double digit victory.

gtexan02
09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
:bravo: Couldn't agree more.

I think that's funny too. But the way I see it, or the way I'm reading what guys like Orakpo are saying, is that the Redskins have got a great pass rush. Particularly Orakpo. Whenever teams pass the ball, it always exposes the QB and we don't want Schaub getting hit. The more we pass, the more they bring Orakpo and blitzers, the more likely they get turnovers. If we can run hog wild like we did against Indy (who also have GREAT pass rushers) it limits their effectiveness. We control the clock and their biggest asset (Orakpo, Freeney, etc.) is having to chase a ball carrier which isn't their strongsuit.

I hope we can have a balanced offense, win the turnover battle, everyone stays healthy and we walk out of this game with another double digit victory.

The Skins had a great pass rush. Then they switched to the 3-4. Now you've got a pissed off Albert Haynesworth, youve got your DEs rushing from the LB position, and what is the result?

They had to bring CBs rushers against the 'boys who have one of the worst lines in the NFL.

If the skins pass rush was so good, why did they blitz so often? Why not rely on the LBs and DL?

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Redskins seek to speed up tempo on offense against Texans (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-seek-to-speed-up-temp.html)
"The tempo, it wasn't what we want. It was a little too slow just getting out of the huddle. We want it quicker and we want to get up to the line faster. And hopefully, as we get going, that will happen."

Seems like I've heard that somewhere before.

JB
09-16-2010, 09:05 AM
The Skins had a great pass rush. Then they switched to the 3-4. Now you've got a pissed off Albert Haynesworth, youve got your DEs rushing from the LB position, and what is the result?

They had to bring CBs rushers against the 'boys who have one of the worst lines in the NFL.

If the skins pass rush was so good, why did they blitz so often? Why not rely on the LBs and DL?

Yep! And that vaunted 'Skins pass rush got a total of 1 sack, and 3 total qb hits going against that shambles of a cowgurl OL. Orakpo got 1 qb hit and Carter none. And there 1 sack was on a blitz by the Ilb. They did have decent pressure, but nothing like what we see when we play the colts and even the tinnbreds.

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 09:22 AM

You know, that's a pretty good point. I had only seen the highlights from last weeks game. I knew Haynesworth is a turd but figured their LBs were getting a lot of pressure. Let's just hope it takes them at least till week 3 to get it together! :winky:

JB
09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
You know, that's a pretty good point. I had only seen the highlights from last weeks game. I knew Haynesworth is a turd but figured their LBs were getting a lot of pressure. Let's just hope it takes them at least till week 3 to get it together! :winky:

They were getting most of their pressure with blitzes, usually a corner iirc.

redskins11
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
On passing plays last week, alot of times we just rushed just 3. On the last play of the game we rushed 3. Alot of our blitzes were corners. I give romo credit for getting rid of the ball quickly. Alot of his throws were rushed or inaccurate.

The cowboys only had 1 sack so is Ware, Spencer and Ratliff all going to suck this year rushing the passer?

As to orakpo and others talking about stopping the run, thats generic defensive player talk in the nfl imo. You always look to stop the run.

But hey, the skins cant win this game, the texans can only lose it. Right. I hope the texans players think the same thing.

Also, I wouldnt assume arian foster is going to continue to light it up. It sounds like you guys think an undrafted 2nd year player is going to rush for 1,500 yds this season based off 1 great game that came in the 1st regular season game against an aging and unreplenished Colts D. I dont know if I would crown foster just yet.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
LAST SEASON! Last season doesn't mean a thing this season, how long is going to take some of you to realize that??? Foster won't get 115 yards. Andre Johnson scares the bejesus out of me though. Our starting safety Kareem Moore is still out and Laron, while he had a monster game against Dallas, makes mistakes sometimes and AJ lives to exploit DB mistakes.

How do you know that AJ lives to exploit DB mistakes? Because of previous seasons. Why do you have Schaub as a QB in some of your fantasy leagues? Because of performance in previous seasons.

Using Last Season as an indicator of what's going to happen this season isn't that far off as long as there haven't been any major changes. Our offense is essentially the same so we can use last year as a general indicator of how it should perform this season.

Last year, Foster ran the ball well in the last two games, the first two games where he got significant playing time. He ran the ball well last week. Expect him to run the ball well this week but don't expect him to be our primary weapon.

Now, YOUR team? You're basing your expectation that your Redskins have a great defense on its performance last season. Is your defense essentially the same as it was last year? No. Not really. You've switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and you've changed defensive coordinators. You've got a bunch of guys playing with a bunch of new assignments. You got gashed for a lot of yards by a Cowboy team that hasn't looked good so far this year and got lucky when they melted down in the red zone.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
On passing plays last week, alot of times we just rushed just 3. On the last play of the game we rushed 3. Alot of our blitzes were corners. I give romo credit for getting rid of the ball quickly. Alot of his throws were rushed or inaccurate.

The cowboys only had 1 sack so is Ware, Spencer and Ratliff all going to suck this year rushing the passer?

As to orakpo and others talking about stopping the run, thats generic defensive player talk in the nfl imo. You always look to stop the run.

But hey, the skins cant win this game, the texans can only lose it. Right. I hope the texans players think the same thing.

Also, I wouldnt assume arian foster is going to continue to light it up. It sounds like you guys think an undrafted 2nd year player is going to rush for 1,500 yds this season based off 1 great game that came in the 1st regular season game against an aging and unreplenished Colts D. I dont know if I would crown foster just yet.

Well, first off, we're not judging Foster just by this game. He's had 3 games where he's had significant time and in those first two (against the Dolphins and Patriots) he ran for 97 and 119 yards.

Secondly, the Colts D bulked up their DTs and this was supposed to make them more stout against the run game.

Thirdly, the Cowboy D is notorious for not starting off fast when it comes to sacks. The past few years, the Cowboys only get 0-1 sacks in their first game. Last year, the Cowboys didn't get their first sack until the third game. Last year, iirc, Jerry Jones had to jump down Phillips' throat to take more control of the defense before it turned around. (Unfortunately, I live in Dallas and have to listen to a lot of Cowgirl news.)

Fourthly, the Cowboy O-Line is a shambles that was missing 2 starters. And that's what you got pressure against. If your defense is that good at rushing the passer, then you should have gotten more.

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 10:20 AM

If yall continue with the corner blitzes Schaub has GOT to be able to anticipate them and get the ball out quick. We cannot afford to let him get hit hard a bunch. What worries me about Foster is his blocking ability. Kubiak's biggest pet peeves are RBs that fumble and/or can't help in pass-pro. So I'm hoping Foster will be able to pick up some of these rushers, that will be important.

I'm hoping the Texans ARE thinking that way. Gone should be the days of us thinking the games are dependant on other teams, that's loser talk. A lot of the players this offseason have said that they know they can beat any team if they play like they're capable of. If they make mistakes, the other team will capitalize on them. Words are words... this is the season to see if our Texans can show us with their actions. If we really are good, the game should be dependant on how WE play, not someone else.

I don't think Foster is going tear it up with 233 yards and 3 TDs every week. But if he stays healthy I think 1,500 yards is attainable. That's like 84 yards per game here on out. And it's not just one game, he's had 3 really good games in a row (dating back to last season). It's the way he's running the ball and seeing the holes. The last two games of last season he had 39 carries for 216 yards (5.5 yd avg) and 3 TDs. We've got a significantly better run blocking OL than last year (primarily due to more experience and health) and I suspect they'll continue opening more holes than they have in the past.

I totally agree on the fact its hard to base things on 1 game againt Indy. Indy was trying to limit our passing attack the hole game and they are an undersized/quick defense... not exactly a strong run defense.

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Yes.

I din't think that was even in question. What do you mean, when you say over-rated?

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Fourthly, the Cowboy O-Line is a shambles that was missing 2 starters. And that's what you got pressure against. If your defense is that good at rushing the passer, then you should have gotten more.
We sure as hell took advantage of Indy's OL. Pure domination.

Rey
09-16-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think we showed a lot defensively last week...No real exotic blitzes...We just straight up beat the people in front of us...

Now they did have some funky alignments with D-linemen standing up, but nothing too strange...

If I'm not mistaken, We didn't rush more than four for a majority of the game...and sometimes we only sent three..

On offense, all we mostly did was pound the rock straight down their throats...

I think all of that is another thing working against the Skins...Watching last weeks film, they really can't tell what all this team can do because we weren't really forced to do a whole lot...

gary
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
McNabb will have to finish his career very strong to make his case for the HOF. He is not a shoe in just yet.

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Now, YOUR team? You're basing your expectation that your Redskins have a great defense on its performance last season. Is your defense essentially the same as it was last year? No. Not really. You've switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and you've changed defensive coordinators. You've got a bunch of guys playing with a bunch of new assignments. You got gashed for a lot of yards by a Cowboy team that hasn't looked good so far this year and got lucky when they melted down in the red zone.

I think the biggest thing, is that it appeared to me that Haslett was still experimenting with different formations (5 LBs, 1 DLman?).

I think you can do that with a Dallas offense with three backups on the OL. I don't think you can do that with an offense as mature as ours.

& I know Haslett came from Pittsburgh, but when he went to Nawlins' he installed ran a 4-3, and never made any indication that he wanted to change (& I think they had the people to do it). When he was in St. Louis, he ran a 4-3, and didn't look like he wanted to change. So I don't know if he's a real 3-4 guy or not.

c10x
09-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow 18 pages, and most of you focus on what the redskins board is saying.

Anyways, I think a very underrated matchup will be Eric Winston and Duane Brown against Brian Orakpo. Orakpo is the real deal, and a BEAST. I'm not upset we got Cush because clearly he is a bad bad man, but at the time I was really hoping Orakpo would fall to us.

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Wow 18 pages, and most of you focus on what the redskins board is saying.

Anyways, I think a very underrated matchup will be Eric Winston and Duane Brown against Brian Orakpo. Orakpo is the real deal, and a BEAST. I'm not upset we got Cush because clearly he is a bad bad man, but at the time I was really hoping Orakpo would fall to us.

All the more reason to hope Foster and our OL tear it up again!!!

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
McNabb will have to finish his career very strong to make his case for the HOF. He is not a shoe in just yet.

McNabb will have to win a Super Bowl to get in.

Period.

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
All the more reason to hope Foster and our OL tear it up again!!!

Exactly, want to slow down the ends?? Run right at them.

BigBull17
09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I think the biggest thing, is that it appeared to me that Haslett was still experimenting with different formations (5 LBs, 1 DLman?).

I think you can do that with a Dallas offense with three backups on the OL. I don't think you can do that with an offense as mature as ours.

& I know Haslett came from Pittsburgh, but when he went to Nawlins' he installed ran a 4-3, and never made any indication that he wanted to change (& I think they had the people to do it). When he was in St. Louis, he ran a 4-3, and didn't look like he wanted to change. So I don't know if he's a real 3-4 guy or not.

Seems like you could audible to a run and pound it on 5 lb's and a DT.

gary
09-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Period.
Basically.

redskins11
09-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Period.

Just like warren moon did. oh wait . . .

gary
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
A QB in the HOF without a ring is not impossible.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Seems like you could audible to a run and pound it on 5 lb's and a DT.

Romo and that offense? PSHAW, I say.

Thorn
09-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Out of all the active QBs in the NFL right now, the only two I see getting into the HOF are Manning and Brady.

All the rest of 'em are going to have to do more than what they've already done.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM

49,000 yards vs. 33,000 yards. 4 seasons with over 4500 yards passing vs. NO seasons over 4000 yards passing.

Although, personally, I think McNabb has a shot at the HOF without a SB, he's still got to step up his game a bit.

HOU-TEX
09-16-2010, 11:35 AM

I like McNabb a lot, but he's got another 16,000 yards and 75 TD's to go to reach Moon. He's got a good chance, but I think he's on the outside looking in. I wish him luck....except this Sunday, of course.

JB
09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Out of all the active QBs in the NFL right now, the only two I see getting into the HOF are Manning and Brady.

All the rest of 'em are going to have to do more than what they've already done.

Favre?

Thorn
09-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Favre?

Oops, you're right there JB, I forgot about him. It's entirely likely I deliberately forgot about him. LOL

Ndevine7
Favre?

Farve is a lock and so is Manning and Brady. Other potenials are Mcnabb, Brees, Rodgers(still early to tell/needs to win) and Rivers(also early to tell/needs postseason success)

drs23
Favre?

Thank you JB. Though alot of folks are tired of the "Favre Watch" he's most asuredly a 1st ballot entry.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I like McNabb a lot, but he's got another 16,000 yards and 75 TD's to go to reach Moon. He's got a good chance, but I think he's on the outside looking in. I wish him luck....except this Sunday, of course.

Meh... I could take 'em or leave 'em!

redskins11
09-16-2010, 11:56 AM

hey gary, you were one of the posters i was following and nodding my head in agreement to when the cushing thing hit the fan. cheers!

thunderkyss
09-16-2010, 12:01 PM

When people talk about not knowing jack about football, people like you are who they are talking about.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to get into the HOF without a Super Bowl win.

Jim Kelly never won the big game either, but he's in the HOF.

I said, for Donovan to get in, he's going to have to win a Super Bowl.

McNabb ain't no Warren Moon.

redskins11
09-16-2010, 12:18 PM
On subjective issues like "will player X be inducted into the HOF when he retires" ,I didnt know someone's present opinion on a future event could be right or wrong. I thought it was just opinion.

Stay classy texas!

:kitten:

TexansForTheW
09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
What is with Skin fan's confidence? They did not score a touchdown last game on the offensive side of the ball. There was little pressure on McNabb, and it was more about Romo just not making throws. The Redskins blitzed and blitzed and failed to create enough pressure to really get to Romo. Dallas moved the ball pretty easily and you could call the playcalling as the reason they lost the game. They ran for firstdowns when they wanted too. I have no doubt it will be a tough game though.

I thought the Cowboys lack of scoring had more to do with their bad preseason than the Redskins defense. Albert Haynesworth apparently does not know how to play nose tackle. He would just jump gaps and take himself out of the play. The cut back lanes will be open once again with our running game. There linebackers are athletic but seem to struggle with pass coverage.

I find it funny people say our secondary is so weak. Is it a suprise Peyton Manning gained so many yards on so many throws against a prevent defense. I think fans will be surpised at how disruptive our D-line is.

buddyboy
09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyone can post highlights, man. Just sayin, I respect the guy, but even our practice squad guys have youtube highlights haha.

This, damnit. Thanks for nothin, Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly.

And don't lie, we allllllllllllll want to see Romo get pancaked as often as possible.

1)Not just first round picks, but too much talent. 'Preciate the respect. Going to be VERY interesting to see how our secondary matches up against your ridiculous passing game, I just hope we can get in Schaub's face, throw him off.
2)So technically, you won't have the best LB duo on Sunday :-)
3)FINALLY! Someone giving CP some respect, although he'll have to run better than he did last week, which will be tough.

:lol: yeah ok, buddy.

You say that we shouldn't consider last season, only this season when it comes to our passing game. Yet, you discount our running game this season because of last season.

Can't have it both ways.

buddyboy
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
On subjective issues like "will player X be inducted into the HOF when he retires" ,I didnt know someone's present opinion on a future event could be right or wrong. I thought it was just opinion.

Stay classy texas!

You're entitled to your opinion. We're entitled to ours. Just because ours is different then yours is no reason to whine.

houstonspartan
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
You say that we shouldn't consider last season, only this season when it comes to our passing game. Yet, you discount our running game this season because of last season.

Can't have it both ways.

Exactly. And, if we point out that the Skins were terrible last season and had a horrible record, he will respond: "But that was LAST season. Let's talk about THIS season!"

Ignore the uninformed.

LOL.

houstonspartan
09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
A friend of mine lives in DC. He has season tickets. He and I were texting each other while he was at FedEx Field. AFter the game, he was really upset because he thought the skins looked terrible and that they should have scored an offensive touchdown.

I tried to tell him to accept the W, but he really didn't want to hear it. He thinks the Skins still have work to do.

Overall, he's right. He's a much more realistic Redskins fan than some of those who have posted here.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. We're entitled to ours. Just because ours is correct is no reason to whine.

Fixed for accuracy! ;)

hobie
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM

That is true, and a ring does not make you HOF worthy either... Look at Eli, not so sure he is going to get there, look at Dilfer, he too has 1, he's not getting in, and there are others, but I would say 2-3 decent years for McNabb and he will have a really good chance.. not a first ballot guy, but I think his numbers would have been enough to warrant his selection...

TexansForTheW
09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
McNabb seems to be a guy that is either really hot or cold. We need to get constant pressure on him to start the game and get him out of his comfort zone. He makes plays but I have a feeling our front four will be able to do some damage.

redskins11
09-16-2010, 01:26 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. We're entitled to ours. Just because ours is different then yours is no reason to whine.

Well I can see I have worn out my welcome. I didnt come on here to talk generic smack, call people stupid, etc. Have a good one fellas.

C Madd
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure you're as welcome as we all are to post. Its nice to hear about the game from another perspective and you have posted well, so far. Good luck on Sunday :)

Texan_Bill
09-16-2010, 01:33 PM
That is true, and a ring does not make you HOF worthy either... Look at Eli, not so sure he is going to get there, look at Dilfer, he too has 1, he's not getting in, and there are others, but I would say 2-3 decent years for McNabb and he will have a really good chance.. not a first ballot guy, but I think his numbers would have been enough to warrant his selection...

So we shouldn't look for Trent Dilfer to reach the HOF anytime soon? :ahhaha:

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Well I can see I have worn out my welcome. I didnt come on here to talk generic smack, call people stupid, etc. Have a good one fellas.

Hah!

Don't let it worry you, you're still welcome. We talk to each other like that, too. Hell, I've been accused of having a Loser's Mentality because I don't want to fire Kubiak.

Don't worry about it. :)

ObsiWan
09-16-2010, 02:03 PM

What about Drew Brees?!?!
Anyone that can take the team that used to be the standing joke of the NFL and make them world champs deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Did I mention he beat your two HoF candidates - and two others - on his way to the championship. Last season Brees faced down Brady (reg. season but on MNF), Kurt Warner (playoffs), Brett Favre (playoffs), and Peyton Manning (SB).
And he's been putting up the right kinds of numbers too; averaging over 4500 yds and 30 TDs per season since he's been with the Saints.

Before anyone says he's "a system QB" think about how long Brady and Manning have been in their respective systems. They're more system QBs than Brees is because neither of them have played anywhere else let alone been successful elsewhere as Brees has.

In fact, Brees gets my vote for the HoF before Manning.

buddyboy
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM

I really enjoy having the opposing team's perspective. I really welcome you guys to post here. Never did I call you stupid or talk smack, I simply stated that we weren't saying you were "wrong", we were simply stating our opinion that happened to be different.

And you took that to be us correcting you or telling you that you were wrong (or stupid, but I can't remember a case of that).

But whatever floats your boat I suppose.

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2010, 02:27 PM
redskins11 is stupid.

;)

FirstTexansFan
09-16-2010, 02:29 PM
redskins11 is stupid.

;)

It was difficult for me to make that determination, all I read was "blah blah blah" :) But I have Charlie Brown Reading Disorder... better known as CBRD... please contribute to cure this horrible disease :)

JB
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
It was difficult for me to make that determination, all I read was "blah blah blah" :) But I have Charlie Brown Reading Disorder... better known as CBRD... please contribute to cure this horrible disease :)

I heard the cure is more beer! :barman:

gtexan02
09-16-2010, 02:36 PM
redskins11 is stupid.

;)

redskins11 is etc!

TexansForTheW
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Ok guys, I know most of yall are like me and waiting for the time to go by for the game(12 to 3 is going to be the longest 3 hours of all time), but what do you think the Texans need to do to win?

Hardcore Texan
09-16-2010, 02:39 PM

:um: You didn't?

Then avoiding comments like below would be job one.

Stay classy texas!

Taking broad swipes at most of the board members for simply disagreeing with you could possibly draw some ire or be confused with "generic smack".

FirstTexansFan
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I heard the cure is more beer! :barman:

Thus the "please contribute" remark... need an address to send that case? :)

Jeff S.
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Ok guys, I know most of yall are like me and waiting for the time to go by for the game(12 to 3 is going to be the longest 3 hours of all time), but what do you think the Texans need to do to win?

As usual on the road: no turnovers.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 02:48 PM

On offense, I think they just need to be patient. Give what the defense is giving them and don't try to force any balls in. I think we're going to see a lot of run to set up the pass.

On defense, I think they need to play disciplined to stop the run. We've seen this running scheme in practice and if anyone knows how to stop it, it's Frank Bush and Gary Kubiak. Try to get pressure on McNabb without selling out. And probably a little more zone so that our secondary have their eyes looking back into the pocket in case McNabb breaks contain.

TexansForTheW
09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Sounds like Okoye may miss, anyone have confidence in Earl Mitchell.

Ole Miss Texan
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM

I truly feel, with this game in particular, that it's going to take scoring more points than them.

TexansForTheW
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I had no idea Arian Foster's mom post on the HoustonTexans.com message board. Pretty cool

Originally Posted by TexMexMom
I know that because I'm his mom, people think I'm not objective. But his family might be more objective than many fans! So take all this with a grain of salt.

I think that's always been a knock on Arian...top end speed. He sure isn't the most speedy guy on the team. Not even close. But he has enough speed, good football speed as you can see, because he's run by many good SEC corners. I still think he's got enough speed to take one to the house, but he would need to prove that in this league.

It's been said, since he was 7 actually, that he's got a natural ability to shed tacklers. He tends to glide rather than cut, goes with the defense, has good vision and patience. His running style tends to be more fluid but still he has the size and power to deliver a blow. One thing you'll notice in the highlight film is that he rarely allows a good solid hit on him. He can turn his body to avoid a direct hit. He also has a great stiff arm and he will use it.

His hands are underrated. His dad played WR in his day so he taught both my sons how to see a ball in. That's been instilled at a very young age. He's worked on catching for a very many years. It's been said he's got soft hands, which is a good thing.

The one thing that stands out to me watching those highlights is how much better he is now at powering through tackles. In some of those where he was tripped up, I'm not so sure that would be as easy to do now. I think his offseason work out really focused on speed, footwork, burst and powering through tackles. I look at that film now and I think he's a much more solid ball player...in all areas of his game.

It's good to see his hard work pay off. I'm happy for him.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Sounds like Okoye may miss, anyone have confidence in Earl Mitchell.

Where did you hear this?

JB
09-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Thus the "please contribute" remark... need an address to send that case? :)

I'll just bring it with me next time I head to the river...:D

TexansForTheW
09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Where did you hear this?

Sorry, I know it's in the wrong section but its the most recent Amobi thread. Forgive me if you will

NickScurfield

Texans DT Amobi Okoye did not practice today. Tweaked his ankle yesterday and was in a boot. He's day-to-day

NickScurfield

Kubiak said if Okoye can't play Sunday, rookie Earl Mitchell "has got to go in and play big-time for us this week"

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I know it's in the wrong section but its the most recent Amobi thread. Forgive me if you will

NickScurfield

Texans DT Amobi Okoye did not practice today. Tweaked his ankle yesterday and was in a boot. He's day-to-day

NickScurfield

Kubiak said if Okoye can't play Sunday, rookie Earl Mitchell "has got to go in and play big-time for us this week"

Thanks, man.

ReliantTexan
09-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Jones is more than just a highlight reel. People usually think of him as just a return ace, but he was a very legitimate threat through the air last year, catching 6 TDs. Very productive considering that he had only 27 receptions for the season. He doesn't always have the most reliable hands but the guy is a playmaker.

gary
09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
That is true, and a ring does not make you HOF worthy either... Look at Eli, not so sure he is going to get there, look at Dilfer, he too has 1, he's not getting in, and there are others, but I would say 2-3 decent years for McNabb and he will have a really good chance.. not a first ballot guy, but I think his numbers would have been enough to warrant his selection...I'll put it this way Stats and prowbowls are more likely to get you into the HOF. You might be an average QB and win a ring i.e. Trent D. Superbowls and stats are the key you play at a very high level for most of the season but don't win the Superbowl for X reason you will probably still get in just not on the first valid. Winning rings helps out your HOF cause a lot if you are on the cusp. So, rings do not get you in or out of the HOF but if you are not the ropes by meeting all of the other standars of HOF status then they could sure help you get in there. This is the best way I could put it.

Mari-OWNED!
09-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's NFL Network's video preview on the Texans/Redskins game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81a96677/Week-2-Texans-vs-Redskins-Preview

thunderkyss
09-17-2010, 11:40 AM

If you're still around, I think you just picked the wrong MB to compare McNumbnuts to Warren Moon.

Other than that, I thought you were getting along with us just fine.

JB
09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Had to laugh at these comments from DeAngelo Hall...

“We saw one game and if that’s indicative of what they’re going to do this year, then I don’t know if they’re going to be as dominant as they were,”

“Let them throw the ball. That’s more chances for us to make plays on the back end,” he said. “I think we showed in the first game we can make plays back there. We’ve showed we’re up for the challenge.”

Link (http://fans.redskinsrule.com/_The-Hall-monitor/blog/2657413/54110.html)

Rey
09-17-2010, 02:14 PM

The Skins players seem almost as upbeat about the game as their fans...

I haven't heard much about their negatives from that game...

If I'm a redskin player I would be making comments about how even though we won the game we have a heck of a lot to improve upon...

But I guess confidence is a good thing...

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Does he not realize that Romo and the Cowboys had no problem moving the ball against them? The Cowboys just did what they always do and stall in the red zone.

Brando
09-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Open the screen door: Aaron Schatz tells us that the Texans averaged a league-leading 9.0 yards on screen passes last year, and the Redskins gave up 8.5 yards per screen pass, the third most in the league. Washington had better hope its switch to a 3-4 scheme has fixed that problem. If the Texans really want to test that out, Steve Slaton could have a bigger role in this game. They love him as a pass-catcher, especially on third downs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/15284/final-word-afc-south-14

Interesting tidbit here. We should try a couple of screens early and test the Redskins defense.

Hou-Tex, you keep your screen door closed. :D

Texan_Bill
09-17-2010, 08:14 PM
HOU-TEX after Taco Hell!

http://www.bobshowto.com/tips-tricks-documents/Screen-Door-Repair.JPG

JB
09-17-2010, 08:38 PM
HOU-TEX after Taco Hell!

I need to hear that story sometime...

JB
09-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Love the fantasy projection this week for AJ by espn...

Matt Schaub threw only 17 passes in Week 1. That rumbling sound you hear is Andre Johnson getting ready to erupt in Week 2. Pity the poor Washington secondary about to get covered in volcanic ash.

:texflag:

Texan_Bill
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I need to hear that story sometime...

No!! No, you really don't!

Oh, eff it!! We were talking about fast food. I forget whether it was Taco Bell, Wendy's - whatever! It gave
HOU-TEX the runs so bad he could shite through a screen door!

Carr Bombed
09-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Check this video out....(NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwzcrTYXaw

It seems Redskin fans are getting a little overconfident about barely beating the 2nd best team in this state.

TexansForTheW
09-17-2010, 09:11 PM

It seems Redskin fans are getting a little overconfident about barely beating the 2nd best team in this state.

I like the enthusiasm from the young one. The Texans need more fans like that.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I'll pass on fans like that.

Don't need obnoxious kids posting stupid videos while representing my team.

Texan_Bill
09-17-2010, 09:57 PM

"I am "confidence" Awesome..... "I mean...."

:lol:

1 game?? Ummmmmm. :thinking: the last game Foster started in, plus one he didn't , he's had over 400 yards. If you add the Miami game that he didn't start, but still picked around a hundy---- he's at 5 hundy already!!

I generally don't pick on kids, but this guy is waaaaaaaaay off!!!

TexansBull
09-18-2010, 09:34 AM

Does this kid work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72beAO0Jik&feature=related

Wait for the two minute mark.

Austrian
09-18-2010, 10:04 AM

That's all I can say here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRmxfLuNto)

El Tejano
09-19-2010, 11:27 PM
This is going to be a good game no doubt though.

The Cowboys played horrible, sure, but you would have to credit the Redskins defense.

Coming into this season the Cowboys have had one of the most explosive offenses over the past few seasons.

There is a reason the Cowboys could not hit on big plays downfield, with the exception of their final drive and the big pass to Miles Austin.

I will give yall credit but we here in Texas have the inconvenience of seeing their games every week. We also had the opportunity to play them in preseason. That Cowboys offense showed it was going to suck in preseason. They only scored one offensive TD in the preseason and that was because the defense ran a INT back to the 8 yard line. The argument that it's only preseason is nullified when you see how it translated to their opening game. They couldn't even get a FG. Yall brought the heat and trust me that worries me for our game but very quietly Schaub has been showing to be a better QB at dealing with blitzes than Tony Romo

Andre Johnson is a better WR then anyone on the Cowboys roster could ever hope to be, I'll give you guys that, but I am sure much of the focus of our secondary will be covering him with help from a safety over the top, to take away big play potential. He will probably still have a decent game, as most elite WRs still beat double coverage at times.

If he has a decent game, you will know it! This will also mean that Schaub is chucking it around to everyone because once he's on target with AJ, (count'em) Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, David Anderson, Joel Dreesen all start to get touches because AJs decent game is better than alot people's decent game.

As far as Foster. To me the effectiveness of the running game is also going to come down to what the score is in the second half of the game. If the Texans are up, they will use Foster to try and wear down the Skins, set up for playaction. However if the game is tied or the Texans are behind, they will do what any other team would do and abandon the running game altogether.

[color="blue"]No they will not. Kubiak, will remain dedicated to the run. The goal for this year is to become a more physical team and even though you can't see this in stats because our running game sucked...in many games where we were losing, Kubiak stayed with the run (causing many people to question the play calling) because it sets up Schaub's awesome ability to do play action pass. Remember Schaub did what he did last year without a running game. He also brought us back in games in which we were down 21-0 at halftime. You may want to ask for Foster to get his carries.[color="blue"]]

To me, the biggest X factor in this game is the 'Skins offense. When you have a new coordinator and new QB, there are going to be struggles, but also there will be times where things seem to get on track ahead of time.

Again, don't misjudge our ability to score. 21 points is not going to put us away. Twice last year, we were down 21-0 and we came back to tie the game. I think that you misjudge our running game too because you feel the New England game was a fluke last year. Well take a look at the stats on our offense when we played @ Miami the week before. Miami's got a pretty good D - and yes Jason Taylor and all their big boys were playing because Miami still had a shot at the playoffs. Foster ran for over 100 and two TDs (You don't know because the media didn't care) on their 3-4 defense and Schaub threw for two more there also.
The Texans have a decent offense, but it is not a powerhouse. The 'Skins defense over the past few seasons has held better offenses to under 21 points, but the 'Skins offense was so horrible they could barely muster 17 points themselves.

As a 'Skins fan, I am not worried about our defense, I think we can handle or at least keep the damage to a minimum. It comes down to our offense and if we can put the ball in the endzone three times.

I agree to a point here but again I think you underestimate our offense, and really aren't giving our D any credit at all. You are still seeing the 400 yds of passing offense with 3 TDs that Manning put up and you are thinking Donovan can do the same. If this was Donovan 2nd year with you all, and maybe even December of this year I would understand. However it isn't and Donovan is nowhere near Peyton Manning. I know yall play Eli twice but trust me, he would be a cakewalk for us. Peyton Manning throwing for that many TDs and still losing is a good day at the office

This was my replies to this guy earlier in the week. He said they would win if they could put up 21 on us and I told him that even if they were up by that much it still wouldn't put us away. Schaub is just to calm for us to go down like that.

houstonspartan
09-20-2010, 12:32 AM

[color="blue"]No they will not. Kubiak, will remain dedicated to the run. The goal for this year is to become a more physical team and even though you can't see this in stats because our running game sucked...in many games where we were losing, Kubiak stayed with the run (causing many people to question the play calling) because it sets up Schaub's awesome ability to do play action pass. Remember Schaub did what he did last year without a running game. He also brought us back in games in which we were down 21-0 at halftime. You may want to ask for Foster to get his carries.[color="blue"]]

Again, don't misjudge our ability to score. 21 points is not going to put us away. Twice last year, we were down 21-0 and we came back to tie the game. I think that you misjudge our running game too because you feel the New England game was a fluke last year. Well take a look at the stats on our offense when we played @ Miami the week before. Miami's got a pretty good D - and yes Jason Taylor and all their big boys were playing because Miami still had a shot at the playoffs. Foster ran for over 100 and two TDs (You don't know because the media didn't care) on their 3-4 defense and Schaub threw for two more there also.

This was my replies to this guy earlier in the week. He said they would win if they could put up 21 on us and I told him that even if they were up by that much it still wouldn't put us away. Schaub is just to calm for us to go down like that.

That guy was just uninformed. We are a very high scoring team. Most people know that. 21 points isn't going to put us away automatically.

Lucky
09-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I had the score (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1517817&postcount=32) right. Just the wrong week.

Texans 30 - Rackers game winning FG
Colts 27

El Tejano
09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
We've put up 34 in wk 1 and 30 in wk two.

badboy
09-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I had no idea Arian Foster's mom post on the HoustonTexans.com message board. Pretty cool

Originally Posted by TexMexMom
I know that because I'm his mom, people think I'm not objective. But his family might be more objective than many fans! So take all this with a grain of salt.

I think that's always been a knock on Arian...top end speed. He sure isn't the most speedy guy on the team. Not even close. But he has enough speed, good football speed as you can see, because he's run by many good SEC corners. I still think he's got enough speed to take one to the house, but he would need to prove that in this league.

It's been said, since he was 7 actually, that he's got a natural ability to shed tacklers. He tends to glide rather than cut, goes with the defense, has good vision and patience. His running style tends to be more fluid but still he has the size and power to deliver a blow. One thing you'll notice in the highlight film is that he rarely allows a good solid hit on him. He can turn his body to avoid a direct hit. He also has a great stiff arm and he will use it.

His hands are underrated. His dad played WR in his day so he taught both my sons how to see a ball in. That's been instilled at a very young age. He's worked on catching for a very many years. It's been said he's got soft hands, which is a good thing.

The one thing that stands out to me watching those highlights is how much better he is now at powering through tackles. In some of those where he was tripped up, I'm not so sure that would be as easy to do now. I think his offseason work out really focused on speed, footwork, burst and powering through tackles. I look at that film now and I think he's a much more solid ball player...in all areas of his game.

It's good to see his hard work pay off. I'm happy for him.FYI, Arian's mom has posted on TT.com last year and this one. She never makes excuses for her son and offers a personal insight in a way I enjoy reading.

gtexan02
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I think we will have good success with Walters and TEs seeing the ball a bit more to slow down the blitz. Also might see Slaton on the receiving end also. I think we are a 14 point favorite now.

Hopefully you didn't take that bet!

Great win by the Texans, but 14 points in the NFL is very, very rare. This was like watching a team play its mirror image

The Pencil Neck
09-22-2010, 12:40 AM
We've put up 34 in wk 1 and 30 in wk two.

And we are now the highest scoring team in the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
09-22-2010, 12:41 AM
I had the score (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1517817&postcount=32) right. Just the wrong week.

You are a man ahead of your time, sir.