PDA

View Full Version : Fire kubiak thread. Not!!

dalemurphy
09-13-2010, 12:16 PM
From Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/):

My “I Love Gary Kubiak Cup” floweth over this morning. One giant thank you to Bob McNair for his patience this off-season after the frustrating second half of the season last year. Yesterday, you watched the execution of the plan Coach Kubiak brought to Houston over four years ago. One thing I love about Coach is his ability to learn and grow. The final pieces of his growth into a great NFL head coach were evident yesterday: total control and management of the game and the removal of his mentor, Alex Gibbs, in the run game and the resulting benefit.

Coach Kubiak finally has his coordinators (Dennison and Bush were the guys Kubiak attempted to bring here in 2006 to coordinate the offense and defense):

- Frank Bush took over the defense last season to the dismay of many Texan fans who wanted a bigger name. After a rough start implementing his system and addressing personnel needs, he quickly turned the defense into a pretty good one last season. Regardless of the yards allowed yesterday, it is clear that this defensive unit is going to be very good. From the first snap, they just beat the crap out of Peyton and his skill players. They dominated the line of scrimmage and played solid but aggressively in the secondary. Expect a lot of sacks and turnovers from the defense this year!

- Oh man! I have been trumpeting Rick Dennison as the difference-maker for our running game all off-season. Sorry for the lack of humility, but: “Yeah, Baby!… I nailed it!”. Dennison’s willingness to adjust in the running game led to the most enjoyable thirty minutes of offensive football in the history of Texans football. Here’s an interesting quote from Antoine Caldwell:

“The Colts did a good job of pulling us off of the zone scheme and double teams. They did a lot of blitz and running through gaps. They were forcing us to pretty much go man on man. I think every guy up front had the mentality, ‘If I have a guy in my gap, I’m going to take care of him.’ When you have five or six guys out there with that mentality, you’re going to get the job done.”

For the past two years, the Texans ran zone blocking almost exclusively. An adjustment like the one that Caldwell is referring to would have led Alex Gibbs to have a coniption on the sideline. He simply wouldn’t allow it. Dennsion, on the other hand, embraces gameday adjustments and it is a huge reason why this offense will excel running the ball this season.

Coach Kubiak’s game management:

There were a number of examples of Kubiak’s firm handle on the game yesterday. I think part of this change is simply his confidence in the team but also in his coordinators. Here are two examples:

1. Kubiak’s decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in the red zone during that impressive third quarter drive. Not only the going for it, but the confidence in the run game to convert. When was the last time the Texans even attempted to run the ball on a big 3rd or 4th down and more than one yard?

2. Kubiak’s success in working the officials. With the crowd going wild and Peyton trying to drive the Colts early in the 4th quarter, Peyton was having difficulty communicating with his offense. On a big third down, Peyton called a timeout after the play clock expired. The refs awarded the timeout. However, Kubiak brought the referee to the sideline and lit into him about it. A couple plays later, the exact same thing happened: Peyton called timeout right as the play clock expired. One of the officials awarded the timeout and there were no flags. However, after a quick meeting, the referee called a delay of game and walked off the five yard penalty.

The single, most glaring change in the team is the confidence the players have in each other and the coaching staff. Everyone is totally committed and on the same page with what is happening on the field. This is a team that isn’t feeling pressure to avoid failure but a team eager to make plays and impose their will. Next week will be further evidence of Coach Kubiak’s growth into a great NFL coach. After this huge, emotional victory, will he be able to get the team to focus and compete with energy on the road in Washington? I’m confident he will. What do you think?

Dutchrudder
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
How about calling the timeout just before the onside kick? That was a great call by Kubes. It wasn't a certainty that the kicker would get the ball, but he was very close. Might have saved the game.

SheTexan
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Sure wish I shared your optimism! Still a little hesitant, but, I'm coming around. Just odd to me that you have the best WR in the business and you allow your QB to throw to him 4 times. ALSO, why lay out all your dice (RB plays) in one game? I bet our opposing teams coaches will have a field day figuring out how to stop AF. Kubes and Dennison gave them a lot to watch. Also, PM picked apart our seconday like feathers off a thanksgiving turkey. Need to see lots of improvement there, or we will see some more 400+ yd games.

I do agree Kubes seems tougher, and more daring, THANK THE FOOTBALL GAWDS above for that!! Dennison seems to be the real deal also. I'm not trying to be negative, just still a little scared.

Ryan
09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
This was without a doubt the best game i've ever seen Kubiak coach. I can't really think of one wrong thing he did. He did what it took to win and the team was adaquately prepared.

Now let's see what he can do with an entire season.

BigBull17
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
How about calling the timeout just before the onside kick? That was a great call by Kubes. It wasn't a certainty that the kicker would get the ball, but he was very close. Might have saved the game.

This. Heady call. We all remember the Jville fake punt a few years ago when his head was up his ass. Shows he trust his offensive assistants to run that side and focuses on the whole team..

Dan B.
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Maybe Kubiak trusts these coordinators more? It took him a while to let MiniShanny grab the reins.

powerfuldragon
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM

clutch call, yes.

Goldensilence
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Maybe Kubiak trusts these coordinators more? It took him a while to let MiniShanny grab the reins.

Though he might not ever admit it, I don't think he ever fully trusted Kyle to have the reins by himself.

Double Barrel
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Yesterday ignited the passion in Texans fans. No matter what happens for the rest of the season, yesterday's performance set a new standard for this franchise. They did not "play not to lose", or try to squeak out a win, but rather DOMINATED one of the NFL's elite teams. That was perhaps the greatest game in Texans history. People can point to the 19-10 game, or the first Indy win, but this game was the start of a season with high expectations against a team that just went to the Super Bowl and has always owned the Texans. Kubiak deserves mad props for the calls and readiness of all phases of the game.

I'm not calling it our "Super Bowl" (that's just silly), but there is no denying that we - the fans - can now believe in this team. That is a huge change of attitude from years past, and one that is welcomed to witness among Texans nation.

HJam72
09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Well, I for one am not afraid of ANYTHING after seeing this team beat the Colts that handily AND knowing that we have a very good passing game that we didn't even have to use (against them). We're not going undefeated or anything, but we (barring certain injuries, which every team has to worry about) are good enough to make any team nervous about playing us.

We want EVERYBODY. :fans:

TimeKiller
09-13-2010, 01:00 PM
This was without a doubt the best game i've ever seen Kubiak coach. I can't really think of one wrong thing he did. He did what it took to win and the team was adaquately prepared.

Can't think of anything he did wrong but there were a few pitfalls that he would've fell into in years past. Whatever had him free enough to call a timeout before the onside attempt, I'm all for it. Guys begging him to run the ball, people he trusts at coordinator jobs, whatever it is that makes him the brain and not the arm, legs, body and soul of the team is good.

houstonspartan
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I've been really hard on Kubiak (with good reason). But, it's only fair to give credit when it is due. It was a great game, and he did a great job.

houstonspartan
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Though he might not ever admit it, I don't think he ever fully trusted Kyle to have the reins by himself.

That's not surprising. Kyle was an inexperienced coordinator.

gtexan02
09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
All I needed to appreciate Kubiak was to watch the Cowboys game.

Goldensilence
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
That's not surprising. Kyle was an inexperienced coordinator.

He promoted him. Just saying.

Texas T
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Sure wish I shared your optimism! Still a little hesitant, but, I'm coming around. Just odd to me that you have the best WR in the business and you allow your QB to throw to him 4 times. ALSO, why lay out all your dice (RB plays) in one game? I bet our opposing teams coaches will have a field day figuring out how to stop AF. Kubes and Dennison gave them a lot to watch. Also, PM picked apart our seconday like feathers off a thanksgiving turkey. Need to see lots of improvement there, or we will see some more 400+ yd games.

I do agree Kubes seems tougher, and more daring, THANK THE FOOTBALL GAWDS above for that!! Dennison seems to be the real deal also. I'm not trying to be negative, just still a little scared.

I truthfully believe that all the running was part of Koobs master plan.
Now no matter what all teams MUST respect our run game.
When we get to a team with a little weaker pass rush and a stronger run stopping group we will throw it down their throats then run when they are not expecting it.

I found it to be a fantastic strategy. Koobs did the best job as a coach as he has done since he's been here.
Here's to keeping it up.

painekiller
09-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Why do you lay out your RBs? Because now instead of teams looking at the NFLs leading passing team, they are looking at a team that can pass you to death or run you to death. The play action pass will be even better than last season, if we need a yard the O-line can get a yard for you.

The other teams defensive coordinators now have to account for a team that has more than one type of blocking scheme to beat them in the run. Opposing teams will now have to work harder on trying to stop us. You stop AJ we will ruin you over, if you come up to stop the run we will get AJ open over the top, and if you role the safeties over to stop AJ we have Jacoby, Owen and Kevin, not mention the 3 RBs that can catch the ball Arian, Steve and Vonta. This is finally the team Kubaik and Rick Smith set out to build.

Plus this team needed a game where the other teams see they are not a finesse team anymore. They can go mano-a-mano with anyone.

Think about it, the best WR in the game was not needed to beat the Colts, our best LB was not needed to beat the Colts, our best TE only had one catch and we beat the Colts.

And when Matt Schaub is only throwing the ball 20 times a game that is less of a chance of him getting hurt. I love watching the hand off work that well.

Keep it up Texans

TexCanada
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Lots of people have mentioned the smart, focused game the Kubes had. One thing I would like to add to that is that he seemed to be completely fired up for the whole game. It seemed like he was actually the leader of the team out there on Sunday. That is exactly what we need from a coach considering all of the youth that we have on this team.

Big Lou
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Let'em stop Arian, and then Matt, Andre, Owen, JJ, and KW will light thier ass up!!!!!!!!

The 400+ yards were because of them bieng behind, a 73 yard play that should never have happened, and because they were behind.

I beleive they rushed for 44 total yards. That is huge.

SheTexan
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Why do you lay out your RBs? Because now instead of teams looking at the NFLs leading passing team, they are looking at a team that can pass you to death or run you to death. The play action pass will be even better than last season, if we need a yard the O-line can get a yard for you.

The other teams defensive coordinators now have to account for a team that has more than one type of blocking scheme to beat them in the run. Opposing teams will now have to work harder on trying to stop us. You stop AJ we will ruin you over, if you come up to stop the run we will get AJ open over the top, and if you role the safeties over to stop AJ we have Jacoby, Owen and Kevin, not mention the 3 RBs that can catch the ball Arian, Steve and Vonta. This is finally the team Kubaik and Rick Smith set out to build.

Plus this team needed a game where the other teams see they are not a finesse team anymore. They can go mano-a-mano with anyone.

Think about it, the best WR in the game was not needed to beat the Colts, our best LB was not needed to beat the Colts, our best TE only had one catch and we beat the Colts.

And when Matt Schaub is only throwing the ball 20 times a game that is less of a chance of him getting hurt. I love watching the hand off work that well.

Keep it up Texans

I understand this, and I'm proud to see a more complete team. Most of all, I like the hard hitting, badass, smack you in the mouth, gonna kill your ass, attitude. But, when I see this consistently coming from Kubiak, I'll rest a lot better on our hopes of making the playoffs. Maybe I'm just afraid to hope!!

bckey
09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I give Kubiak credit for a great game yesterday. I do think having Dennison and Bush as his cordinators has taken a load off of him and allowed him to focus more on the game without worrying about what the next play should be. Last year I don't think he makes that timeout call before the onside kick. I hope Kubiak can get this team to the playoffs and no more players get injured. Also can't wait for Cushing to get in there and hit somebody. You know he has to be fired up after yesterday. He is gonna be hitting like a freight train with all that pinned up energy after the 4 game suspension.

cuppacoffee
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I understand this, and I'm proud to see a more complete team. Most of all, I like the hard hitting, badass, smack you in the mouth, gonna kill your ass, attitude. But, when I see this consistently coming from Kubiak, I'll rest a lot better on our hopes of making the playoffs. Maybe I'm just afraid to hope!!

Understood / agreed with.

It's going to take a couple more games like this (hopefully the next two weeks) to get that little voice in the back of our minds to go away.

It will take the same effort each and every game, and one game at a time mentality.

No more 'statement' games. Every game is a statement game now.

:coffee:

Second Honeymoon
09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Great coaching job
Nice level of intensity throughout most of the game
Team stepped up after Barwin went down
Great to see
Keep it up Texans

Houston_Fanatic
09-13-2010, 02:05 PM

I am glad somebody finally mentioned this!!! It is the first time Kubiak didn't have his head up his....... er... Denny's menu and actually made a brilliant snap decision that was going to catch us off-guard and may have swung the momentum their way.

There were many things you can point to that won the game for us and I think this quick-thinking action is part of it.

DexmanC
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
What I saw Sunday could be the beginning of a special era in Houston, or
"just another game" like the 13-12 game against Tennessee, or the "Christmas
Eve Miracle" against the Colts in '06.

How the Texans react to such a game they had on Sunday, will be the only
measure I use to gauge Kubiak. Do I want to see this regime blow up? Hell,
no. Do I like what they've put together over the last four years? Hell, yes.

Complacency is what we have to make sure doesn't set in. Becoming
complacent, at ANY time during this season, will have this team sitting
home hoping for the playoffs. I don't want to see that.

Nice job, Kubiak & Staff. Keep it up.

RIP EXCUSES (2006-2009)
The First Twelve Games (Where Playoff Teams Are Made):
2007: (5-7) | 2008: (5-7) | 2009: (5-7) | 2010: (1-0)

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Celebration for me ends tonight after I rewatch the game.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but remember the old saying, the higher the high, the lower the low...

For me, it's all about staying on an even keel.

HOU-TEX
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic, but remember the old saying, the higher the high, the lower the low...

True dat! Most all of the players were saying something similar in their interviews yesterday. Hopefully they mean it! One game at a time to climb that ladder

Double Barrel
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm looking forward to watching it again, too. It was a work of art where all cylinders were pedal to the metal power. They overcame their own mistakes and played to win the game. The Colts rarely get beat down, but all the sweeter that it was our Texans doing the beating!

But I'm going to celebrate that win until it's kickoff time in Washington! :fans: :texflag:

painekiller
09-13-2010, 04:47 PM

we all are afraid of the game next week. None of us want another game like the Saints game. I understand your fears.

GlassHalfFull
09-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Pink soaping still at the start of a brand new season doesn't sit well with me. To each his own and all that, but we have an important win under our belts and lots of excitement to look forward to.

:fans:

texanhead08
09-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I am going to say that the hiring of Rick Dennison might have been the aquisition of the off season. He seems to understand what Gary wants more than any OC since Kubes has been the coach. Kubes said at halftime he said he wanted us to start ramming it down their throats and Dennison did just that and to be honest that was what the doctor ordered because not only did we stretch out the lead but we broke the will of their defense.

Rey
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I think that the Texans expected to win that game.

To me that is the biggest thing that has changed...I think that they go into most games now expecting to win...

burro
09-13-2010, 06:17 PM
was there really this much anti-kubiak sentiment in the first place? i seem to remember us not having a losing season since 2006. kubiak finally has all the weapons he needs and the coordinators he wants, this should be a great season for him.

GlassHalfFull
09-13-2010, 06:19 PM
was there really this much anti-kubiak sentiment in the first place? i seem to remember us not having a losing season since 2006. kubiak finally has all the weapons he needs and the coordinators he wants, this should be a great season for him.

LOL, I don't want to dig up the old threads. But in a word, YES

HJam72
09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
I think that the Texans expected to win that game.

To me that is the biggest thing that has changed...I think that they go into most games now expecting to win...

I gotta disagree with that one. I really doubt the Texans expected to beat the Colts. I do think they expected to play their butts off and compete hard, though.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

You haven't been around here, but there have been a lot of threads and a lot of posters who absolutely believe that Kubiak is not the right guy for the job and that he'll never be able to coach THIS team into the playoffs. Many have believed that he should have been fired before LAST season after going 8-8 two years in a row but that he definitely should have been fired after having a talented team and not going better than 9-7 against the easy schedule we had last year (and after going 1-5 in the division.)

Needless to say, there have been some knock-down, drag-outs this offseason.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I gotta disagree with that one. I really doubt the Texans expected to beat the Colts. I do think they expected to play their butts off and compete hard, though.

I disagree with Rey but the other way: I think they've expected to beat the Colts the past couple of years.

Texanfan4ever
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Oh I disagree! I think they expected to win.....and I think they will go into the Washington game with the same intensity! Call me a homer, and I am still a little afraid to hope too, but I think they have gotten over the hump, so to speak. They know they have the talent on all sides of the ball, and yesterday proved it to them. Onward and upward! I think this will be a great year! Absolutely the best game I have watched in 9 years.

burro
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
You haven't been around here, but there have been a lot of threads and a lot of posters who absolutely believe that Kubiak is not the right guy for the job and that he'll never be able to coach THIS team into the playoffs. Many have believed that he should have been fired before LAST season after going 8-8 two years in a row but that he definitely should have been fired after having a talented team and not going better than 9-7 against the easy schedule we had last year (and after going 1-5 in the division.)

Needless to say, there have been some knock-down, drag-outs this offseason.

that seems completely ridiculous to me. we're these detractors happier with capers era? kubiak had to completely rebuild this team and its system, were we really expecting this to happen over a season or two? i know this is the internet and all, but jeez...either way, i would think those people just got shut up (at least until the first loss).

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 06:37 PM

that seems completely ridiculous to me. we're these detractors happier with capers era? kubiak had to completely rebuild this team and its system, were we really expecting this to happen over a season or two? i know this is the internet and all, but jeez...either way, i would think those people just got shut up (at least until the first loss).

http://limewoody.wordpress.com/files/2006/04/aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

No seriously man, you should do a thread search and read up a little bit. I promise you it will save you a migraine headache.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 06:40 PM

That's all water under the bridge right now. We're all Texan's fans and we've all got the same ultimate goal: winning lots and lots of Super Bowls.

Personally, I love the progress this team has made and I feel like the team has improved each year. I think we've built something really good that should last for a lot of years.

BUT. We've also only won 1 game so far. Until we actually get deep in the playoffs, all those detractors still have points. We haven't made the playoffs, yet. We've started off 5-7 the past three years. Other coaches have been able to turn teams around quicker than Smithiak has done with this team. We have had a lot of games where we only seemed to play half the game. Etc., etc. Now... there are counter arguments to all of those things that I personally consider better arguments, but I also acknowledge that I'm drinking the Kool-Aid and I'm a homer.

Lucky
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
BUT. We've also only won 1 game so far. Until we actually get deep in the playoffs, all those detractors still have points. We haven't made the playoffs, yet.
That's undeniably true. I think it's premature for dale to post a "I told you so" thread. Though, I can totally understand the optimism. Hopefully, a ripened "I told you so" thread will be warranted at some point.

Just a great game by the the players and the coaches. Not perfect. No one is asking for perfection. But, a great game, nonetheless.

The best win in team history? Yes, this was the best.

pbat488
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Painekiller had a good reply to this post but I'll add my two cents in as well..

As for the bolded part, what I basically want to say is we don't have many run plays. Watch the game again if you can; basically all the plays are the same. Either off tackle or through B gap, but the difference is whether he cuts to the backside or just plows through the holes made by the OL. AF displayed much better vision than I thought he had yesterday and really wore down the Colts D.

As for the italicized part, the running game and stopping Manning kind of go hand in hand. Imagine if we threw it more in the 2nd half and had some incompletions or interceptions and he got the ball back with more time to work. He was tearing us apart, so why give him more time to do so? By running the ball, we kept him at bay (well, kinda) and kept their offense off the field. This also serves to keep our defense fresher as the game wears on, though it didn't exactly show on that Collie touchdown (sidenote, that play wasn't a coverage fault, just a great route with an inch perfect pass from Manning; don't think many D's could/would have stopped that from happening).

To sum it up, I'll take 400+ passing yards against us any day of the week as long as we are winning and ramming it down their throats with AF and SS.

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Coach Kubiak finally has his coordinators (Dennison and Bush were the guys Kubiak attempted to bring here in 2006 to coordinate the offense and defense):

I didn't know Gary originally wanted Dennison.

dalemurphy
09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
That's undeniably true. I think it's premature for dale to post a "I told you so" thread. Though, I can totally understand the optimism. Hopefully, a ripened "I told you so" thread will be warranted at some point.

Just a great game by the the players and the coaches. Not perfect. No one is asking for perfection. But, a great game, nonetheless.

The best win in team history? Yes, this was the best.

Believe me... there will be some "I told you so's" coming frome me! I am not above such things... However, in the article, the "I told you so" was only in reference to Dennsion's impact on the running game.

But, I'll have more coming!

gary
09-13-2010, 07:54 PM
This is not a bash the coach thread but I bring this up for conversation. I truely believe this is the year not just for the team but for Gary too. I know we have heard the same old crap every year but just hear me out. This board over the last couple of seasons has been split with Kubiak supporters and others not so much. After the win against the Colts at home I remember Gary stating five years would sort of a grace period for him if you will in order to get the team where he'd like it to be. Well, year number five is hear now. Gary no matter which side of the fence you stand on you must admit that at times Gary has looked good and other times he has made mistakes with play calling, timeouts, and the clock ect. But no coach is perfect. Anyway, my point is 2010 is a chance for both Gary and the players to prove that they have gotten better and smarter over the last five years since Gary has been here well, at least the vets for that matter. This year Gary and the team can put all of their mistakes behind them and just come out standing tall. They won't ever be perfect at what they do. No team really is ever going to be perfect nor do I exspect them to be. I just feel this year will be different if Gary's statement holds true to its form regarding the five years he would need as part of his plan. Opinions.

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Stats don't win games. But they do give you insight to how a team plays. This team has been playing better & better every year since Gary has been here.

In years past, injuries would have devastated us. This year, I don't think so much. We not only have quality starters, but we've got depth I believe is on par with the rest of the league.

Not only is our starting 22 NFL quality, the whole 53 man roster is NFL quality.

And while many want to pigeon hole Kubiak as a head coach, he is so much more than that, and has done so much more for this team. His stamp is on everything. He's been more like VP of Football Operations/Head Coach. The entire organization has little to no resemblence to the team he took over in 2006.

But as far as this team goes, of the starting 22, they average 4 years in the league, this is their fifth year. On average as Texans, The starters average 2 years, This is their third year as Texans.

I think last year was the first realistic year to believe this team should have made some noise. We missed. 2010, there's no doubt in my mind this team is going to show the NFL who they really are.

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Great post TK!!!

Texecutioner
09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Believe me... there will be some "I told you so's" coming frome me! I am not above such things... However, in the article, the "I told you so" was only in reference to Dennsion's impact on the running game.

But, I'll have more coming!

Seriously Dale, this thread is a joke coming from you. You have been so far off and wrong on so many of your predictions in the past and were claiming playoffs like two years ago for god sakes. And this isn't the first time you started a thread to try and puff your chest out acting like you had some leg up on other posters in here either over nothing. This is year 5 in the Kubiak era, so don't act like you were some wizard of football knowledge that can hand out all this crow if the Texans finally make the playoffs. Your track record of poor predictions have been so overly optimistic in the past as well, yet where have you ever came in and owned up to being wrong then??? It was nothing but crickets every time.

Now we haven't had to have any coaching debates lately as most of us in here have been patiently waiting for the season to begin and I think for the most part everyone in here has been pretty optimistic and excited about this season for the Texans. Then you take one big win that we're "ALL" excited about and try to turn this board into some kind of us versus them bullshit to divide the board when we're all trying to celebrate this win over the Colts and looking forward to the Washington game. Give it a rest and enjoy the win like everyone else is.

BullNation4Life
09-13-2010, 09:48 PM

On the 2 bolded...

Let them game plan for AF, cause if they do, the Texans will remind them why they led the NFL last season in passing. As for the 4 times to AJ, sometimes a shotgun works just as well as a 50. cal. Truth be told, they didn't need to throw yesterday.

As for the second, be that as it may about PM getting 400+ yards, keep in mind he did it on 60 attempts and aaaaallllooootttt of dinks and dunks. Schaub had 400+ in GB in 08 on 42 attempts. I don't care if PM had 600 yards passing on 80 attempts, yards don't mean squat when you defense is getting a mud hole stomped in it and Arian Foster is walking it dry. Just ask Schaub where 4700 yards got him last year.

So quite being scared AND GROW A PAIR WOMAN!:thisbig:

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 09:57 PM
That's kinda funny to me!! On the one hand, "let them figure out AF".... OTOH, the Texans threw for more yards than anyone else last year, without a running game, based on play action passing game.... WTF???

I dunno know, I'm kind of stoked that teams have to worry about us running the ball. Play action becomes that more effecient?

Texecutioner
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
On the 2 bolded...

Let them game plan for AF, cause if they do, the Texans will remind them why they led the NFL last season in passing. As for the 4 times to AJ, sometimes a shotgun works just as well as a 50. cal. Truth be told, they didn't need to throw yesterday.

I was thinking about this earlier today and wondering how sweet it would be if we could keep this running game successful. I was finally really optimistic about our running game this season because we had so much depth coming into the season finally at RB and young RB's as well. So, to me this was the perfect game to have this great performance from Foster, because now teams have to game plan for the guy and it should really open up that passing game and play action that Kubes likes to run which AJ is great with down the field. I really hope that Foster can keep this going, because I think it will do wonders for the big HR plays that we can hit out of nowhere.

Texecutioner
09-13-2010, 10:00 PM
That's kinda funny to me!! On the one hand, "let them figure out AF".... OTOH, the Texans threw for more yards than anyone else last year, without a running game, based on play action passing game.... WTF???

I dunno know, I'm kind of stoked that teams have to worry about us running the ball. Play action becomes that more effecient?

You just posted this while I was writing mine Bill. I was thinking the same thing today as you can see in my last post. Teams didn't have to game plan for our running game that much over the last few years. Now that teams see we have a guy that busted out over 230 yards and 3 TD's, THEY WILL GAME PLAN FOR THE RUNNING GAME and hello Play action pass down the field baby!

JB
09-13-2010, 10:14 PM
You just posted this while I was writing mine Bill. I was thinking the same thing today as you can see in my last post. Teams didn't have to game plan for our running game that much over the last few years. Now that teams see we have a guy that busted out over 230 yards and 3 TD's, THEY WILL GAME PLAN FOR THE RUNNING GAME and hello Play action pass down the field baby!

Yep! Our play action pass worked really well last year, even though our running game was crap. If we can slow down the DL and the Safeties for just a second, our WR's and Schaub (as well as our TE's) will really amke the other defenses pay for stacking the box. If they try to play nickel (as we did most of the game yesterday) they will get burnt big time on downfield passes.

Texecutioner
09-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Yep! Our play action pass worked really well last year, even though our running game was crap. If we can slow down the DL and the Safeties for just a second, our WR's and Schaub (as well as our TE's) will really amke the other defenses pay for stacking the box. If they try to play nickel (as we did most of the game yesterday) they will get burnt big time on downfield passes.

Yeah, it will be very interesting to see how this plays out if our running game stays successful for the rest of the year JB. I've been so sick of the lack of the running game over the years with guys like Green and Brown coming here. We got pleasantly surprised by Slaton two years ago and had some success, but even then Slaton wasn't just a guy that could get positive yards on every carry to move the chains. He was more of a guy that would barely get a yard or two and then he'd break a nice one to where his YPC would like nice in the end but looking at stats his were a little deceptive by the end of the year. Foster looks like the first guy we've ever had that really can run in between the tackles and understands what the coaching staff wants of him in the ZBS. It just sucks that we don't have Tate, because I felt really good about the combo of Foster and Tate to where Tate could come in fresh at the end of games. I don't want Foster to get worn down. 33 carries is a lot for any back. Lol!!!

This should really open up the passing game though.

JB
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it will be very interesting to see how this plays out if our running game stays successful for the rest of the year JB. I've been so sick of the lack of the running game over the years with guys like Green and Brown coming here. We got pleasantly surprised by Slaton two years ago and had some success, but even then Slaton wasn't just a guy that could get positive yards on every carry to move the chains. He was more of a guy that would barely get a yard or two and then he'd break a nice one to where his YPC would like nice in the end but looking at stats his were a little deceptive by the end of the year. Foster looks like the first guy we've ever had that really can run in between the tackles and understands what the coaching staff wants of him in the ZBS. It just sucks that we don't have Tate, because I felt really good about the combo of Foster and Tate to where Tate could come in fresh at the end of games. I don't want Foster to get worn down. 33 carries is a lot for any back. Lol!!!

This should really open up the passing game though.

Just got to thinking and checked the HT.com depth chart & roster. Is Foster & Slaton the only running backs on our roster? :eek:

ChampionTexan
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Just got to thinking and checked the HT.com depth chart & roster. Is Foster & Slaton the only running backs on our roster? :eek:

For some reason, they haven't added Derrick Ward yet - even though he's listed on the HT.com transaction page as signing on Sept. 4th

JB
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
For some reason, they haven't added Derrick Ward yet - even though he's listed on the HT.com transaction page as signing on Sept. 4th

Yeah, I just thought about that, and checked at espn. Hopefully Ward will learn the playbook enough and show enough in practice to relieve Foster of some of those carries.

Joe Texan
09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I really wish the mods would change this thread name, really looks great with Fire Kubiak on the front of this website. especially with the game we just had. I know it says not but it looks like caca. Just makes me reallize someone wanted to put up a F K thread wether we won or lost.

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
And you know what?? People that criticize Kubiak as not being a fiery guy or soft or someone without passion are full of shite!! Anyone see Kubes get in Hochuli's grill - pointing at him..... Well I call BS!!!!

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 11:14 PM

The new website is all fscked up. They haven't added Ward.

I'm hoping we sign Jeremiah Johnson (and he gets healthy) soon.

2slik4u
09-13-2010, 11:15 PM

A couple of things on your comment:

1. Yes your right about the lack of plays involving AJ but when your running game is carving the defense up AND eating the clock like said Thanksgiving Turkey, then why risk stopping the clock and interceptions???
2. As for laying out our dice (running plays), I highly doubt the skins will be able to pick us apart do to our showing of the running game. Even if they do somehow manage to shut us down on the ground, remember....we have the leagues leading passer and receiver. I think we will be ok.
3. Yes Manning threw for 433 yds, but give me a break. He threw the ball 57 times!!! Not to mention he is the BEST QB in the game and arguably to ever play the game. Im ok with it, especially since we adjusted and made up for it in other areas......like completely shutting down their running game.

Crack a smile and feel confident that we are one leg up on the AFC South right now. In the preseason, I was telling myself "I hope we can split the first four games at 2-2 at least until we get Cush back and I was automatically counting the colts as one of those losses but after we handled the ponies like we did, I have no doubt in my mind we can go 4-0 in that stretch.

Imagine this, we go 4-0 AND THEN get the Cush back??? Scary thought for opposing teams if you ask me.

:texflag:

dalemurphy
09-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Seriously Dale, this thread is a joke coming from you. You have been so far off and wrong on so many of your predictions in the past and were claiming playoffs like two years ago for god sakes. And this isn't the first time you started a thread to try and puff your chest out acting like you had some leg up on other posters in here either over nothing. This is year 5 in the Kubiak era, so don't act like you were some wizard of football knowledge that can hand out all this crow if the Texans finally make the playoffs. Your track record of poor predictions have been so overly optimistic in the past as well, yet where have you ever came in and owned up to being wrong then??? It was nothing but crickets every time.Now we haven't had to have any coaching debates lately as most of us in here have been patiently waiting for the season to begin and I think for the most part everyone in here has been pretty optimistic and excited about this season for the Texans. Then you take one big win that we're "ALL" excited about and try to turn this board into some kind of us versus them bullshit to divide the board when we're all trying to celebrate this win over the Colts and looking forward to the Washington game. Give it a rest and enjoy the win like everyone else is.

Not sure what you have stuck up your backside. I'm definitely enjoying the win and the thread certainly wasn't intended to be anything other than some light fun. Perhaps the fact that you were so offended by it says something?

By the way, I'm not sure what predictions you are referring to: I picked the Texans to win 10 games last year and 9 the year before... By the way, I argued they would still win at least 8 games in 2008 after they were 0-4... I've been off by one game the past two seasons. How off have you been?

Oh, and I have them at 11-5 and winning the division this year, FYI.

I have never avoided this board after the Texans lose. I also have been quick to admit mistakes. For instance, I wrote an article praising Kasey Studdard and apologizing for my errant ways in his regards. Two years ago, I was thrilled with the acquisition of Alex Gibbs. I've since recanted that love affair and have been very vocal about how his absence is good for the Texans. Despite my affinity for Kubiak, I was on these boards after that Jacksonville game last season, roasting him for the Chris Brown HB pass. I believe I was a member of the "Fire Kubiak Club" for about 12 hours until I remember how much I loved the guy.

I apologize for the optimism and joy. Apparently that kind of stuff is still frowned upon by some on these boards.

thunderkyss
09-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Despite my affinity for Kubiak, I was on these boards after that Jacksonville game last season, roasting him for the Chris Brown HB pass.

Did anyone notice Lawrence Moroney's attempt this weekend? In the red zone on first down. What a stupid call.

BigWig
09-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I would like to thank our new OC for the excellent game plan of running the ball right down the colts throats!

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Did anyone notice Lawrence Moroney's attempt this weekend? In the red zone on first down. What a stupid call.

And Marion Barber threw one away in the Red Zone and Cowboys fans up here are HOT about it.

Dutchrudder
09-14-2010, 11:35 AM
And Marion Barber threw one away in the Red Zone and Cowboys fans up here are HOT about it.

Sounds like Kubiak is a trend-setter!

painekiller
09-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I didn't know Gary originally wanted Dennison.

Gary wanted Dennison and Shanihan blocked the Texans from talking to him. The Broncos then promoted Dennison to Assistant HC/Offense.

Bush was Gary's first choice for DC, but the Cards blocked the Texans from talking to him.

So Gary's top choices for coordinators were prevented from being here until now.

Blake
11-02-2010, 08:53 AM
From Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/):

My “I Love Gary Kubiak Cup” floweth over this morning. One giant thank you to Bob McNair for his patience this off-season after the frustrating second half of the season last year. Yesterday, you watched the execution of the plan Coach Kubiak brought to Houston over four years ago. One thing I love about Coach is his ability to learn and grow.

Hows that Gary Kubiak nector taste this morning? Still love his ability to learn and grow?

HTown2ATX
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Hows that Gary Kubiak nectar taste this morning? Still love his ability to learn and grow?

:lol:

That was just funny! Kudos.

SheTexan
11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
So quite being scared AND GROW A PAIR WOMAN!:thisbig:

I grew um, and now they're choking me to death!! :hairpull:

After the past six games, looks like I had plenty of reason to be "scared!"

Hookem Horns
11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Hows that Gary Kubiak nector taste this morning? Still love his ability to learn and grow?

Yeah, this guy is not ready to be a HC. He is a great OC however he needs a HC over him to prevent him from getting "cute" at times like he was doing last night by throwing every down when the Colts obviously were not going to stop Foster.

Ideally, Kubes would stay on as the OC and the Texans would hire a tough defensive minded coach with HC experience. Of course that is not going to happen.

HOU-TEX
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Oh, I'm sure the Murphster will still be lapping up Kubiak's nectar. It's what he does

steelbtexan
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh, I'm sure the Murphster will still be lapping up Kubiak's nectar. It's what he does

Yeah, Because the Murphster doesn't put winning as the top prioriy for the Texans.