PDA

View Full Version : Do Texans need to add depth at DE with Barwin out?

beerlover
09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Not sure Rick Smith can pull off a major trade or pull Aaron Schobel out of retirement, but do see him searching practice squads for help? Texans used 2nd rd. pick in 2009 on Barwin but this was a pretty deep class, some very good athletic type DE/OLB's like Paul Kruger, Michael Johnson, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Robert Ayers, Lawrenece Sidbury, Michael Bennett, Kyle Moore & Gilbert Jarron just to name a few. Not sure the status of all the above but maybe someone off this list can be aquired via trade or off someones practice squad? thoughts?

hradhak
09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I would love to see Schobel in a Texans uniform, but I think he's retired for a reason, and probably doesn't have a Brett Favre complex.

I also don't know that it is a priority right now since Barwin played in nickel sets and we are going into the next 2 weeks where Barwin's reps would be much fewer than this past week.

El Tejano
09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
We need to call Schoebel and ask him what account he wants us to deposit the money in.

leebigeztx
09-13-2010, 09:21 AM
For what they're trying to do, i would call adellius thomas. He can give you that hybrid look as well as play any lb spot on the team. He's a vet and is still a good cover lb. He may go with the jets, but i would call him.

IDEXAN
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
In theory inducing him out of retirement seems like a smart move if the Texans could pull it off, but as a practical matter I wonder ? He's probably in terrible football shape and maybe he would come back because McNair would offer him even bigger bucks than before Barwins injury, but he might come out and pull a groin or suffer a hammy because he's in such bad shape and be of little use to us the whole year.

SheTexan
09-13-2010, 09:25 AM
We need to call Schoebel and ask him what account he wants us to deposit the money in.

Bob Allen and Spencer Tillman hinted at that last night on their program. Give the man what he wants, and lets get on with the business of winning a Championship!!!

Kaiser Toro
09-13-2010, 09:26 AM
They must get another DE, or get a fourth DT. I can't see A. Smith holding up for sixteen games this year playing both positions at that level yesterday.

Shaft75
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
We should get a big group of hardcore fans together and go eat at Schobels restaurant in Columbus. Stage an intervention to get him signed.

What free agent DE's are out there? I'm on my iPhone so it would be hard to look.

HOU-TEX
09-13-2010, 09:28 AM
They must get another DE, or get a fourth DT. I can't see Daniels holding up for sixteen games this year playing both positions at that level yesterday.

Daniels? Do you mean Antonio Smith?

Errant Hothy
09-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes, they need depth at DE. Will it be Schoebel or will they promote somebody opff the PS, I don't know. There's a Ryans qoute on ESPN that says he prefers that the team promote from the PS and not bring in an "outsider".

Kaiser Toro
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Daniels? Do you mean Antonio Smith?

Thanks, I always confuse his name with Antonio Daniels, NBA player.

beerlover
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
it would be amazing if Rick could pull another Pollard off the street :wesmantexanfan:

rmartin65
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Yep, more depth is needed. Schobel (sp?) would be nice, but it sounds like he is done. I am going to go look at peoples' practice squads...

BIG TORO
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
We should get a big group of hardcore fans together and go eat at Schobels restaurant in Columbus. Stage an intervention to get him signed.

What free agent DE's are out there? I'm on my iPhone so it would be hard to look.

I'm down for drive on the weekend and some good food, Saturday for lunch! All of us can go in Texans Gear! I think it's a great idea!

badboy
09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I think SUnday we showed Schobel he could win with Texans. He might be more interested today than last Saturday. Texans could slide him in to Barwin's roster spot. I'm just doubtful he wants to play, I still don't think it is a $ thing.

TexanBacker93
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Derrick Burgess is someone that's available also. He's a guy that has had some success getting to the QB.

Errant Hothy
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I think that Burgess is more likely then Schoebel right now.

BigBull17
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
it would be amazing if Rick could pull another Pollard off the street :wesmantexanfan:

Jaron Gilbert was dumped by the Bears. He is the dude that jumped out of the pool. Don't know if he is any good, but he is available.

Rey
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Derrick Burgess is someone that's available also. He's a guy that has had some success getting to the QB.

ND Kalu always talks about this guy on the radio...I think he should be option 2 if we absolutely can't get Schoebel...

Dutchrudder
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Who can we get to replace Barwin?

Greg Ellis?
Leonard Little?
Pannel Egboh?
Albert Haynesworth? (after our game against the Skins)
Jason Babin?

Maybe an OLB that can play DE on passing downs?

hradhak
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Jason Babin anyone? His slow motion spin move has been making offensive lines quake for several years now.

JB
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Jason Babin anyone? His slow motion spin move has been making offensive lines quake for several years now.

Babin plays for the Tinnbreds...he had 2 tackles yesterday including one sack.

Second Honeymoon
09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Schobel gained leverage with Barwin going down
Pay the man, Bob

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Adewale Ogunleye would be a good signing. He just turned 33 last month, but he had 6.5 sacks last season. Kubiak and Smith should look into him if Schobel is not an option.

Shaft75
09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Schobel gained leverage with Barwin going down
Pay the man, Bob

And there it is...

PapaL
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Jaron Gilbert was dumped by the Bears. He is the dude that jumped out of the pool. Don't know if he is any good, but he is available.

Now I know. If I ever need someone to jump out of a pool for me, Jaron Gilbert is the guy for the job.

Must google for said video...

newtexan
09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
All this talk of bringing in guys off the street, PULL SHEPPARD FROM THE PRACTICE SQUAD !!!

JB
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
All this talk of bringing in guys off the street, PULL SHEPPARD FROM THE PRACTICE SQUAD !!!

I'm sure if they thought that was the best move that is what they would do. I get the feeling they are not near as highh on him as you are. The pro's must be stupid eh? :rolleyes:

JB
09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
From Kubiak's presser today

“He was a big part of what we were doing,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “We’ve got replace Connor for the season now. Anybody who's out there as a free agent is a possibility, so I think all doors are open. We continue to listen to every possible avenue.

“We will have a workout here either tomorrow or Wednesday morning, I’m not sure. We’ve already gotten in touch with some guys.”
Kubiak did not say whether signing retired two-time Pro Bowler Aaron Schobel, 33, is a possibility. Schobel lives in nearby Columbus, Texas, and has expressed interest in playing for the Texans and Bill Kollar, his former defensive line coach with the Buffalo Bills.

“My understanding is he's retired, guys,” Kubiak said. “Things change, I’m sure, but anybody who’s out there, we will talk to them, and we’ve got to replace Connor Barwin.”

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Barwin-out-for-season-search-for-replacement-begins/80b2bbcf-0ea1-4096-8c2b-b2a4c506abe9)

J_R
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Texans contact veteran DE Leonard Little (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a828db/article/texans-searching-to-replace-injured-de-barwin-contact-little?module=HP_headlines)

awtysst
09-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Texans contact veteran DE Leonard Little (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a828db/article/texans-searching-to-replace-injured-de-barwin-contact-little?module=HP_headlines)

Isnt he a red flag character issue guy? If so, I can't see us signing him.

Lucky
09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
That sounds good to me.
Adewale Ogunleye would be a good signing. He just turned 33 last month, but he had 6.5 sacks last season. Kubiak and Smith should look into him if Schobel is not an option.
Also, a good possible signing.

From a Jason La Canfora's tweet (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora):

Leonard Little was contacted by the Texans today, who lost DE Connor Barwin for the season Sun. Little mulling retirement but would likely..
Little would surprise me, considering his personal history.

The pro's must be stupid eh? :rolleyes:
The pros kept Arian Foster on the practice squad far too long, last season.

ArlingtonTexan
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Isnt he a red flag character issue guy? If so, I can't see us signing him.

Actually, he has not shown "football" character issues, and has not had the drinking and drving issues for quite awhile, but if those incidents had occurred under Goddell he would lucky to be in the NFL.

Probably enough time and tarnish off of him at this point even for us.

JB
09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
That sounds good to me.

Also, a good possible signing.

From a Jason La Canfora's tweet (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora):

Little would surprise me, considering his personal history.

The pros kept Arian Foster on the practice squad far too long, last season.

Arian Foster has admitted that he had issues last year and it took him quite a while to work them out. Basically, he was a bit immature and not ready for the pro game.

newtexan
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
lol !!!!

Jackie Chiles
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/24425667783

Ask and you shall receive!

Lucky
09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Arian Foster has admitted that he had issues last year and it took him quite a while to work them out. Basically, he was a bit immature and not ready for the pro game.
I heard the Foster interview, as well. He said he was down because he was on the practice squad and did not handle the disappointment well (late for meetings, etc.). Foster never said he wasn't ready to play.

JB
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
I heard the Foster interview, as well. He said he was down because he was on the practice squad and did not handle the disappointment well (late for meetings, etc.). Foster never said he wasn't ready to play.

I could have sworn that he said he had some off field issues and needed to mature. But, I am not going to argue with you.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/24425667783

Ask and you shall receive!

Nice! I think they will sign him. He has been pretty good for the Bears for years (and was big in the NFC Championship Game against the Saints in 2007).

TexanExile
09-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Ogunleye is interesting. Still wonder why the Pats didn't pick him up last month (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Patriots-kick-the-tires-on-Adewale-Ogunleye.html), but I enjoyed watching him on the Dolphins back when I lived in Florida. Media indicated he got cut by the Bears in March due to the Peppers signing (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2010/03/smith_says_ogunleye_done_in_ch.html), but Lovie said it was a tough call:

"That was a tough day. That was one of my harder days as a coach, for the Bears, because Adewale was a real man. He was there every day I've been there," Smith said of Ogunleye, whom the club traded for in 2004. "That was a tough call. He's family. He's a friend for life, and to call him and let him know we were going in a different direction. I know you have to do it, but that was personal right there." Smith said he believes Ogunleye, though, will get another NFL job. "He'll get on with someone else," he said, "and I still feel like he can play."

Besides, Adewale Ogunleye and Amobi Okoye could make a formidable A.O. tandem. Definitely first-team All-Vowel, if nothing else.

BullNation4Life
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
I would call the Giants and see what they want for the disgruntle Osi Umenyiora. I think he along with Mario, Smith would make the D-line super awesome....

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 08:33 PM
(Re-watching the game - while watching the Raven v. Jets game).... Being at the game I didn't see the actual footage (no pun intended) but his foot was going the wrong direction. I know they are calling it a dislocated ankle, but DUDE, I wouldn't be surprised if his entire ankle wasn't completely shattered!!!

JB
09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
(Re-watching the game - while watching the Raven v. Jets game).... Being at the game I didn't see the actual footage (no pun intended) but his foot was going the wrong direction. I know they are calling it a dislocated ankle, but DUDE, I wouldn't be surprised if his entire ankle wasn't completely shattered!!!

I don't know. When I dislocated my elbow it looked kinda like that, but there was no breaks. At least, not until the doctor tried to put it in place.

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't know. When I dislocated my elbow it looked kinda like that, but there was no breaks. At least, not until the doctor tried to put it in place.

Playing basketball (yes, this short fat white boy played basketball, ableit in a church league), dislocated, shattered, tore every ligament and tendon in my ankle.... They had to cut my shoe off with scissors.... Just sayin', he's done..

Miggsy
09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
In theory inducing him out of retirement seems like a smart move if the Texans could pull it off, but as a practical matter I wonder ? He's probably in terrible football shape and maybe he would come back because McNair would offer him even bigger bucks than before Barwins injury, but he might come out and pull a groin or suffer a hammy because he's in such bad shape and be of little use to us the whole year.

And the downside would be...? Is this your money we would be paying him? Why would any fan be against paying him whatever he wants? I just don't understand that thought process.

If he gets hurt we just move on to the next target no harm done.

JB
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Playing basketball (yes, this short fat white boy played basketball, ableit in a church league), dislocated, shattered, tore every ligament and tendon in my ankle.... They had to cut my shoe off with scissors.... Just sayin', he's done..

I know he is done for the year, but he should be okay for next year...

If we have a next year. I have been trying to stifle my disapointment because I really thought Barwin was headed for a big year.

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I know he is done for the year, but he should be okay for next year...

If we have a next year. I have been trying to stifle my disapointment because I really thought Barwin was headed for a big year.

Did you see me in New Orleans?? The way I walked??? You never recover from that kind of injury? In fact I think it was the ankle injury that attributed to my AC/DC concert (aka my face plant into the sidewalk) mishap. :D

JB
09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Did you see me in New Orleans?? The way I walked??? You never recover from that kind of injury? In fact I think it was the ankle injury that attributed to my AC/DC concert (aka my face plant into the sidewalk) mishap. :D

Damn dude, let's try to be a bit more optimistic eh? :fans:

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 10:17 PM

I read an article that said HE said he had some off the field issues and he wasn't ready to play but he was glad the coaches stuck with him and gave him time to get his head straight (or something to that effect.) Don't have a link any more.

Lucky
09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I read an article that said HE said he had some off the field issues and he wasn't ready to play but he was glad the coaches stuck with him and gave him time to get his head straight (or something to that effect.) Don't have a link any more.

I could have sworn that he said he had some off field issues and needed to mature. But, I am not going to argue with you.

I have a link. Bob Allen's interview with Foster (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7664831) on Sunday's post-Colt victory edition of Inside the Game. Allen's question about Foster's "light coming on" is about 45 seconds into the interview.

Bob Allen: What do you think he (Kubiak) meant when he said "The light came on for you."

Foster: I guess that kind of means what it means to be a professional. Especially in this league, you gotta carry yourself as a professional. I wouldn't say I was totally immature, but I was doing things like being late to meetings and not practicing as a professional practices. You know, I watch Andre Johnson and how he practices. He's really my mentor. And he just goes out everyday and gives me advice and says "Make practice like the game. Make every play and try to make the best of it." I guess throughout the course of the year, I was a little down because I was on the practice squad. But, it just hit me about mid-season that I saw light at the end of the tunnel and that this could happen. So, I started going to work.Nothing about "off the field" concerns. Here's a guy who had to be disappointed at not being drafted (was given a 2nd round grade by the NFL advisory board following his junior season). He had to be disappointed about not making the roster and getting passed over by lesser talent like Chris Brown and Ryan Moats. He probably did a little pouting and that didn't go over with the coaches. That's "on the field". Jacoby Jones passing out in his car downtown is "off the field". That didn't keep Jacoby off the field. I feel Foster should have been given an opportunity earlier last season. Nothing I've seen or heard has changed my mind. I think everyone is happy that he's getting the chance, now. Let's just not makeup reasons as to why that opportunity didn't come sooner.

JB
09-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I have a link. Bob Allen's interview with Foster (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7664831) on Sunday's post-Colt victory edition of Inside the Game. Allen's question about Foster's "light coming on" is about 45 seconds into the interview.

Nothing about "off the field" concerns. Here's a guy who had to be disappointed at not being drafted (was given a 2nd round grade by the NFL advisory board following his junior season). He had to be disappointed about not making the roster and getting passed over by lesser talent like Chris Brown and Ryan Moats. He probably did a little pouting and that didn't go over with the coaches. That's "on the field". Jacoby Jones passing out in his car downtown is "off the field". That didn't keep Jacoby off the field. I feel Foster should have been given an opportunity earlier last season. Nothing I've seen or heard has changed my mind. I think everyone is happy that he's getting the chance, now. Let's just not makeup reasons as to why that opportunity didn't come sooner.

I guess that kind of means what it means to be a professional. Especially in this league, you gotta carry yourself as a professional. I wouldn't say I was totally immature, but I was doing things like being late to meetings and not practicing as a professional practices

Sorry, that is "off field" to me. He was not ready and was not showing what was needed to get "on the field".

Lucky
09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Sorry, that is "off field" to me.
That's fine. Generally, "off the field" refers to some type of behavioral problem (drinking, drugs, brawls, dog fighting). Something non-football related. Ask most fans, and that's the common perception of the term.

JB
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
That's fine. Generally, "off the field" refers to some type of behavioral problem (drinking, drugs, brawls, dog fighting). Ask most fans, and that's the common perception of the term.

Ok, I understand that perception. But I was talking about his readiness to take the field.

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2010, 12:39 AM

Nothing about "off the field" concerns. Here's a guy who had to be disappointed at not being drafted (was given a 2nd round grade by the NFL advisory board following his junior season). He had to be disappointed about not making the roster and getting passed over by lesser talent like Chris Brown and Ryan Moats. He probably did a little pouting and that didn't go over with the coaches. That's "on the field". Jacoby Jones passing out in his car downtown is "off the field". That didn't keep Jacoby off the field. I feel Foster should have been given an opportunity earlier last season. Nothing I've seen or heard has changed my mind. I think everyone is happy that he's getting the chance, now. Let's just not makeup reasons as to why that opportunity didn't come sooner.

You have to remember, I'm in Dallas. I never saw this interview.

But... don't tell me I'm making stuff up.

Day 2 - Training Camp Quotes (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-1/Quotes-Training-camp-Day-2/21C6E596-3EF4-45D2-ABE7-E73BAB561FA9)

(on if he feels as if he has matured in the past year) I think I have matured. I came in last year as a rookie, I made mistakes off the field and on the field, just being late and things like that. I just saw last year and really took in how guys like (WR) Andre (Johnson) and (QB) Matt (Schaub) and how these great guys, players in the league that are respected, take care of their business off the field and I try to incorporate that in my personality now. I try to be a professional in everything I do now, whether its picking up a small piece of trash when I see it. Its small, but it just kind of builds character all the time.

Now... Arian may not be using the same definition of "off the field" that we are, but I took this to mean that he wasn't concentrating on football like he was supposed to.

In that same link:

(on RB Arian Fosters progress in the running back competition) Hes grown up. Hes just a totally different young man. Were not having to battle Arian for how he practices or his effort or how he meets or those things. Thats over. Its all about football with him. Hes got a chance. Hes got a chance to be a fine player, but I think were all excited to see what hes doing right now, including his teammates.

This sounds more like what you were saying. It doesn't specifically state Foster was having off the field issues, but combined with what Foster was saying and it sounds to me like Foster was having a little too much fun off the field and it was interfering with his concentration. And so he didn't perform in practice. And that's why he didn't see the field sooner.

You might think that Foster deserved to get on the field sooner but if you were looking at his practice film every day, you may have had a very different opinion based on what both Foster and Kubiak have said.

beerlover
09-14-2010, 04:34 AM
The Houston Texans are working out free agent DE Adewale Ogunleye (Bears) and DE Bobby McCray (Saints) Tuesday, Sept. 14, reports Adam Schefter, of ESPN.

looking at free agents with experience.

Mike Kerns
09-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Ryan Denney (Buffalo last year) is also coming in for a workout today.

http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/24473137842