PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Akoye Looking Good!

MojoMan
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Amobi Okoye looked great against the Colts today. Apparently drafting Earl Mitchell to compete with him has really helped to motivate the young man. Personally, it was always my sense that the criticism of Okoye by many posters on this board was way overdone. He has not played badly the last few years. However, he really did has not a lot to distinguish himself at the position, as he did against the Colts today.

To be fair, the Colts have a depleted offensive line. So, it will be important to see if Okoye can keep it up against teams that have a more solid front five. But I do not see how anyone who watched the Texans play the Colts today can fail to be encouraged about the play of Amobi Okoye. I hope that we can at least put the "trade or cut Amobi Okoye" talk on hold until we can see if he keeps it up in the weeks to come.

Hagar
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm one of his biggest nasayers and I have to admit, he looked pretty darn good. Always seemed to be around the ball.

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm one of his biggest nasayers and I have to admit, he looked pretty darn good. Always seemed to be around the ball.

I counted at least 8-10 times Okoye had penetrated and was in the backfield. Hell one time he timed the snap perfect and almost got Manning...

El Tejano
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Let's put two games together first. He's gonna have a pretty good test over the next two weeks.

False Start
09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Maybe, just maybe the kid is starting to come around. I need to see him have a few more good games before I jump on the bandwagon. He did have a hell of a game today though.

Koolaid Time
09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
He is still a "Kid"..

He can only get better... and then with the rest of the Defensive Rush....

BAMM!

(on every QB)

Texas T
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Maybe, just maybe the kid is starting to come around. I need to see him have a few more good games before I jump on the bandwagon. He did have a hell of a game today though.

I'm with ya there, I really, really hope he keeps it up.
If so our D will mutilate everyone.

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I counted at least 8-10 times Okoye had penetrated and was in the backfield. Hell one time he timed the snap perfect and almost got Manning...

Yeah, my wife was all "Oh noes! He's teh offsides!" And I ran it back and we looked at it and it was just insanely perfect timing.

Rey
09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
I've never been down on him and never understood the bust talk. I think he has gotten better evry year . He hasn't been lights out but imo he was nevr a bust

Second Honeymoon
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Albeit a bit limited on snaps
He played very well and was disrupting the line
Very impressed and hadn't seen a thread on em yet
Go texans

Brandon420tx
09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
There was a thread yesterday, but he deserves 2

badboy
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Missed this and was asking for info on a new thread. I could not seen game wel due to outside small screen. Anyone's notes would be helpful

The1ApplePie
09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Nothing like comming on at the 1tth hour of the bust watch.

Hopefully he keeps it up and this isn't his required one good game of the year.

digitalswim
09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Isn't this a contract year for him? :kingkong:

Brandon420tx
09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't think so. As a first round pick I'd assume he has at least 2 more years on his contract

TimeKiller
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Funny that a first round pick can still be unknown to the point that people don't know how to spell his name. Time for a great SEASON instead of a great GAME.

Ole Miss Texan
09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Isn't this a contract year for him? :kingkong:

I don't think so. As a first round pick I'd assume he has at least 2 more years on his contract

His contract runs through 2012 (with a '12 being voidable). There is absolutely no reason to release Amobi though unless he's playing pathetically terrible. I don't see that's the case at all. He makes minimal salary each year and his contract was substantially all guaranteed.

He's been showing improvement each of the last several years. If he ends up maxing out how we see him, he's still better than any back up you could get and you wouldn't be wasting any money by keeping him. I see him on the Texans roster through 2011 at least.

EDIT - He's due a 5th year escalator of $2.2M in his 5th year (2011). But that would virtually take care of his "entire contract". 6 year 15.4M with 12.785M guaranteed. $2.3M can be earned through incentives including a 5th year escalator of $2.2M. Base Salary for 2010 and 2011 are $765K and $850K, respectively. 2012 salary is $665K which is a voidable year.

So if you keep him for next season, it's almost a lock you keep him for 2012. I can't see us re-leasing him at all though. He's not near as bad as some people make him out to be.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=4174

texanhead08
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
The entire defensive line played great yesterday. The 2 sacks didn't tell the whole story because they harassed and pressured Manning more than any Texan team in the previous 15 games. The yardage given up is decieving in how well they played as a unit yesterday.

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Nothing like comming on at the 1tth hour of the bust watch.

Hopefully he keeps it up and this isn't his required one good game of the year.

If you watched him play Nov 29th last year, he had just as solid a game. He's been far from a bust, IMHO.

About him losing weight, I remember in the off-season, he & Antonio Smith were talking about being so close, so many times, and not being able to finish. I imagine he felt losing the extra weight he put on would help.

Second Honeymoon
09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
TK is right
Okoye did begin showing a pulse last year
Maybe the light turned on for the guy

But I liked that they were mixing in some of mitchum

Err Mitchell....damn you Steve jobs

hradhak
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I think Okoye has always been a fairly good run stuffer / space occupier. He was really young when he got drafted so I think now that's he's had time to get seasoned he's going to be really solid.

I will say that including the preseason games this year, his pass rush has improved immensely compared to last year. And he led the d lineman in tackles this past game.

drs23
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Albeit a bit limited on snaps
He played very well and was disrupting the line
Very impressed and hadn't seen a thread on em yet
Go texans

SH, is that you?? Nice new avatar :texflag:

gary
09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
If Amobi keeps his play up when Cushing comes back look out.

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Can we get his name fixed?

JB
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Can we get his name fixed?

What's wrong with it?

gary
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
What's wrong with it?
It was Akoye.

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
It still says Akoye. lol!

JB
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
It still says Akoye. lol!

Sure does on the thread title. I totally missed that, I was just looking at the posts.

gary
09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Why is there an O once you click on the thread?

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Somebody changed the title and everyone who responded to that got the new version. But that doesn't fix the "original" version. (See above.)

JB
09-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Somebody changed the title and everyone who responded to that got the new version. But that doesn't fix the "original" version. (See above.)

We got a mod with a sense of humor.

Mr. White
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I've bashed the hell out of him the past couple of years. I'm the guy who started spelling his name "Am0bi Ok0ye" because that's exactly what he showed.

I can't and won't argue with results. Okoye played like a beast on Sunday.

Here's hoping he's finally arrived.

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I've bashed the hell out of him the past couple of years. I'm the guy who started spelling his name "Am0bi Ok0ye" because that's exactly what he showed.

I can't and won't argue with results. Okoye played like a beast on Sunday.

Here's hoping he's finally arrived.

Like Warren Sapp said on Sunday: "Amobi Okoye is finally, FINALLY 23 years old."

JB
09-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Like Warren Sapp said on Sunday: "Amobi Okoye is finally, FINALLY 23 years old."

You mean if he was of average intelligence, he would have been in the same class as Suh and McCoy? :thinking:

Texan_Touchdown
09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Amobi did a great job Sunday. I'm watching the game right now, and he was getting penetration. That's all i want from him. penetration and causing havoc for the QB.

JB
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Amobi did a great job Sunday. I'm watching the game right now, and he was getting penetration. That's all i want from him. penetration and causing havoc for the QB.

He was getting penetration all game long. And still playing the run very well.

dalemurphy
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
After reviewing the game, Amobi really stood out. He played great football. I'm officially on the bandwagon now. On Texans Bull Blog, we put some video up of his performance on Sunday:

Amobi Okoye Highlights from Sunday (http://www.texansbullblog.com/?p=1010&preview=true)

barrett
09-15-2010, 10:28 AM
What really impressed me was his quickness off the snap. We haven't seen that from him in a while. Ilm really excited by Frank Bush's scheme. He had okoye lined up at DE at one point. I want to see him against an offensive line that doesn't totally suck though. It is apparent that his effort is at an all time high though.

Rey
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
After reviewing the game, Amobi really stood out. He played great football. I'm officially on the bandwagon now. On Texans Bull Blog, we put some video up of his performance on Sunday:

Amobi Okoye Highlights from Sunday (http://www.texansbullblog.com/?p=1010&preview=true)

Damn I knew Amobi played well, but those highlights really put it in perspective...

If he keeps that up, he will have a lot of success this year...

Peyton is very good moving around in the pocket and getting the ball out quickly...If Amobi can get similar pressure against other QB's hell get some sacks and/or cause some badly thrown balls...

Tailgate
09-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Nice! Thanks for highlights!

The1ApplePie
09-15-2010, 11:39 AM
You mean if he was of average intelligence, he would have been in the same class as Suh and McCoy? :thinking:

I wonder where he would have gone in a class like that, condsiering 2007 could have been the worst DL draft ever.

Seriously, Anthony Spencer, LaMar Woodley, and maybe Amobi were the only DLs that weren't total busts in the entire draft.

DeMarCushPoll
09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I've never been down on him and never understood the bust talk. I think he has gotten better evry year . He hasn't been lights out but imo he was nevr a bust

I agree! I never understood that either? For some reason, people think he's supposed to be a pass-rush QB sacking machine. If you look at his stats coming out of college, pass rush was not one of his stregths, he had very few sacks. His strengths from day one have always been penetrating the LOS and stopping the run, which he's done very well as a Texan. IMO

TheCD
09-15-2010, 12:16 PM
he was getting penetration. That's all i want from him.

Aw geez you just had to make me do it, didn't you?

That's what she said!:ahhaha:

badboy
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
You guys with the constant rants over spelling of a name crack me up. Thanks for the entertainment. One person correcting would awesome as some posters may not know or it is a key stroke error but it becomes an "end is near" rant. Back to the thread, I wonder if his weight drop back to his college weight has helped? He tried to bulk up last season + his injury did not help. Regardless, it would be nice not to have to draft a defensive lineman in first three rounds next off season.

dalemurphy
09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Damn I knew Amobi played well, but those highlights really put it in perspective...

If he keeps that up, he will have a lot of success this year...

Peyton is very good moving around in the pocket and getting the ball out quickly...If Amobi can get similar pressure against other QB's hell get some sacks and/or cause some badly thrown balls...

I'm so freakin' excited about the defensive line right now, I can't stand it! If they can perform like that two weeks in a row, all signs point to an incredible season.

b0ng
09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
The one thing I noticed is that in those highlights he was usually the first guy to jump and start moving when the ball was snapped. It almost looked like he was offsides a couple of times he was so quick.

I hope it was the light turning on. I so hope that's what I was seeing.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Why in the he'll did you stop that second video where you did? That was a sweet clean hit on Peyton.

That first video where Amobi is basically a 3-4 DE he shows us excellent outside technique.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 08:13 PM
That last video shows Amobi creating havoc, but also shows his inability to finish. If he can earn the reputation to finish that play in the backfield, no one would be thinking the " B" word.

thunderkyss
09-15-2010, 08:18 PM

I agree! I never understood that either? For some reason, people think he's supposed to be a pass-rush QB sacking machine. If you look at his stats coming out of college, pass rush was not one of his stregths, he had very few sacks. His strengths from day one have always been penetrating the LOS and stopping the run, which he's done very well as a Texan. IMO

Same as Mario. The sack thing came along later, I think showing Mario's potential there, but his natural strength is stopping the run & creating havoc.

Kaiser Toro
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Amobi was as active as I ever recall upon a second viewing of the game. He was doing the small things, such as getting a hand up.

http://kochstory.smugmug.com/Sports/Texans-2010/Colts-91210/IMG3891/1008335511_Pr8XP-L.jpg

barrett
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Why in the he'll did you stop that second video where you did? That was a sweet clean hit on Peyton.

Makes you hungry for more doesn't it? ;)

76Texan
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I heard that Okoye hurt his ankle in practice and is listed as day to day.
Anybody knows the extent of the injury?

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
DT Amobi Okoye practiced today. He and CB Antwaun Molden, who both have ankle injuries, will be game-time decisions.

-Nick Scurfield (http://twitter.com/nickscurfield)

HOU-TEX
09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Just get your cortisone shot and get after it

BigBull17
09-17-2010, 03:17 PM
The whole dline played really well. The lines are the reason we won the game.

badboy
09-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Hopefully it is only tissue and not ligaments. Don't want it to be made worse.

BigBull17
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM
The whole dline played really well. The lines are the reason we won the game.

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Hopefully it is only tissue and not ligaments. Don't want it to be made worse.

???????A ligament is a tissue. Medically speaking, all components of the body, i.e., fat, muscle, tendon, fat, ligaments, bone, liver, are referred to as "tissue." I know what you mean, though.......SIGNIFICANT injury to the ligamentous structures.:worldpeace:

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Okoye had limited participation today, as opposed to no participation yesterday. He is still listed as "questionable." Although this is potentially a better sign for his "participation" on Sunday.

badboy
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
???????A ligament is a tissue. Medically speaking, all components of the body, i.e., fat, muscle, tendon, fat, ligaments, bone, liver, are referred to as "tissue." I know what you mean, though.......SIGNIFICANT injury to the ligamentous structures.:worldpeace:Yeah, thanks. When I read medical records and they refer to soft tissue injury, I understand it is not bone or hair or fat.

El Tejano
09-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Okoye didn't get any sacks and he didn't record lots of tackles but he played on a bum ankle and was pretty disruptive.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Okoye didn't get any sacks and he didn't record lots of tackles but he played on a bum ankle and was pretty disruptive.

He' was fighting against the double team pretty good and finally started to break them down by the end of the game.