PDA

View Full Version : I'm EXCITED that we beat the Colts, but our defense....damn.

Texans34Life
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
We gave up 463 net yards (433 passing), 3 TDs, and 7 penalties!

Dang, Frank Bush, better get your mistakes fixed quick!

Thorn
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
We were playing Manning, so I'll cut them some slack. Now, if this trend continues through Washington and Dallas, then I'm gonna have a problem with that.

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM

When you are aggressive like that, you will have penalties...

It was Peyton Manning that got that yardage. Had it been Mark Sanchez, I would be worried....

Frank Bush doesn't coach the secondary, David Gibbs does...

Cush
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Enjoy the win and give the young DBs some slack. The defense held their own today and gave the offense a chance to win the game.

If they can do that every week, we are in good shape no matter how many yards we give up.

TimeKiller
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Jesus, how many people just didn't notice Manning passed 60 times? THESE STATS ARE INFLATED.

Pantherstang84
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
When you are playing the Colts, you will have penalties...

It was Peyton Manning that got that yardage. Had it been Mark Sanchez, I would be worried....

Frank Bush doesn't coach the secondary, David Gibbs does...

fify

GP
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
This is a bad thread.

Stats do not tell the whole story.

We beat the Steelers, at their place, with no offense at all. All TDs off of defensive plays. Fluke defensive plays.

We made the Colts one-dimensional today. When you eat the clock, like we did, and make the Colts pass on every play to try and catch up, it takes its toll on them. Then our offense comes out and goes on long long drives that rests our defensive players enough that they can come out and withstand Manning's passing attack.

We did this without Barwin and without Cushing.

Had Foster and the OL not shown up today, we don't win the game.

This was the FIRST time I have seen this team's offense AND defense play at the same elevated level for a whole game. It was a first. Now we know, and THEY know, as well, that they can do it.

What a wild, wild scene. Now the question is this: Can they keep up the same level of play and same pace all season long? Can we avoid injuries? Will there come a let-down game and possibly residue off that let-down game that leads to a losing streak?

I don't worry about Manning's yards today. I worry about the upcoming games. Can we get to 4-0 and then get Cushing back? Because when Cushing comes back, the league is going to have to play Texans games at midnight because of the degree of violence on the TV.

Jackie Chiles
09-12-2010, 05:52 PM
The same defense we played today against just about any other QB and we probably have 5+ sacks and give up around 10 points. Oh and we get some pretty good LB back in just 3 short weeks. Geeze.

DexmanC
09-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Peyton was making throws NO other QB would have made. That
slant to Collie on that last touchdown was magic. I ain't worried
about the defense, YET. ONLY Peyton can make those kinds of
throws with 4 or 5 guys in his face on every snap.

Ryan
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Garbage time stats, bro.

Well most of the end wasn't really garbage time, but we completely went in "bend but don't break" mode, and let manning nickel and dime his way to two scores, which is i think what we wanted, to take time off the clock and make them work for it.

Our defense had an outstanding first half and held them off enough in the second to win the game, so i'm fine with it. We had a good pass rush and our secondary will keep improving.

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 05:55 PM

How about the TD to Wayne,? that was a Hall of Fame throw and catch. Pollard had Wayne covered and Manning threw it behind Pollard and Wayne and Wayne adjusted...

Only Manning....

GP
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Yeah, it was like the zombie movies where there's a horde of zombies and you don't know how the good guys keep getting out of jam after jam.

He had a horde of pissed off Texans in his face all day long. And he still managed to keep his cool and get passes off.

60 attempts and 400 yards is like 6.66 yards per pass. Ooooh! 666! An appropriate number for Manning.

6.5 yards per pass. That's a dink pass and fairly immediate tackle by a LB or DB. And then there's the freakish, we-don't-care-go-ahead-and-score TD at the end of the game. Remove the yards from that one play, and it's even worse.

Manning was hounded and attacked all day long. He doesn't like us.

ziggy29
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
No other QB in the league could put up the kind of numbers Peyton did with that kind of pass rush and with Mario harassing him and hitting him all day.

Peyton was Peyton and he's going to get his yards, but aside from that the Texans thoroughly whipped the Colts in just about all phases of the game.

And the Texans have 14 of their final 15 games against teams with QBs not named Peyton Manning, so if they can keep generating that kind of heat on the QB I'm not feeling bad about the pass defense overall. Not at all; to the contrary, in fact.

Dan B.
09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Bad thread. Might as well call for Leinart since Schaub only had 107 yards and a 60 something passer rating.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I enjoy the win........but there's no way around this,

Kareem Jackson played like crap today. (that is my only downer in this game)

He needs to get better and since he's a rookie, I'm sure he will......but damn, he played like hot garbage today. (He looked lost on several plays)

BigBull17
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Jesus, how many people just didn't notice Manning passed 60 times? THESE STATS ARE INFLATED.

Yeah, people see 400 yards and assume our guys didn't take the field. The D played ALOT better than the stats show. The DB's need a little time to get their legs, but not all together bad.

ObsiWan
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM

I'm with you. Y'all best believe that the weaknesses Manning exposed today are on film and that film on our DBs will be required learning for all upcoming teams.

BigBull17
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Garbage time stats, bro.

Well most of the end wasn't really garbage time, but we completely went in "bend but don't break" mode, and let manning nickel and dime his way to two scores, which is i think what we wanted, to take time off the clock and make them work for it.

Our defense had an outstanding first half and held them off enough in the second to win the game, so i'm fine with it. We had a good pass rush and our secondary will keep improving.

Matt doesn't throw the pick, the score could have been 13-3 or worse at the half. D played its ass off.

Goatcheese
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
The Texans are an offense oriented football team. Anything good you get from the defense is just gravy on your touchdown steak.

ObsiWan
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Bad thread. Might as well call for Leinart since Schaub only had 107 yards and a 60 something passer rating.

...well... now that you mention it....

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I enjoy the win........but there's no way around this,

Kareem Jackson played like crap today. (that is my only downer in this game)

He needs to get better and since he's a rookie, I'm sure he will......but damn, he played like hot garbage today. (He looked lost on several plays)

I remember Cushing looking the same away against the same Colts team last year(remember Dallas Clark having 14 receptions on Cushing in the first half) and he turned out ok...One game against a Hall of Fame QB does not make or break a players season...

Bronco Texan
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm with you. Y'all best believe that the weaknesses Manning exposed today are on film and that film on our DBs will be required learning for all upcoming teams.

Are you serious? The best QB in the NFL just dropped over 50 passes on our defense and we are worried about passing yards allowed? lol

look if manning had gone 25-32 for over 400 yards then I'd agree with this thread, but he was 40-57. Alot of those were check down 5-6 yard passes. Plus that garbage time TD did inflate those stats a little.

Txn_in_FL
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Because when Cushing comes back, the league is going to have to play Texans games at midnight because of the degree of violence on the TV.

This!

I know he put up some yards, but the D was putting Manning on his back alot. Cush out there tearing it up? I can't wait.

Bronco Texan
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
This!

I know he put up some yards, but the D was putting Manning on his back alot. Cush out there tearing it up? I can't wait.

If Cush was out there this team has about 2 more sacks...

GP
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
KJ and Quin need to improve their positioning.

Now, I did see Quin make a break on a deeply thrown ball and almost come down with the pick except for Garcon poking the ball out at the last second.

Quin is also a liability in trying to tackle a RB. He whiffed and made generally bad angles on Addai and other ball carriers today.

KJ tackles verrrrry well. Had a nice open-field, and a nice wrap-up near the sideline to keep the player from advancing.

Overall, I rate them a B- right now.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I remember Cushing looking the same away against the same Colts team last year(remember Dallas Clark having 14 receptions on Cushing in the first half) and he turned out ok...One game against a Hall of Fame QB does not make or break a players season...

I didn't say it did.....

I'm just stating facts. Kareem Jackson played like crap and needs to get better.

alphajoker
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Manning can have all the yardage he wants...as long as the Texans win.

Errant Hothy
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I didn't say it did.....

I'm just stating facts. Kareem Jackson played like crap and needs to get better.

Kareem looked no worse then Dunta did last season. In fact Kareem might have looked better the D-Rob.

LikeMike
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I actually can`t believe, that you all think it`s no big deal because it`s Peyton... Now Im not saying the world is ending, but 400 yards and 3TDs mean your secondary did not have a good day.

Throwing 57 time and only missing on 17 passes? Remember that Garcon had several drops, and there were some more catchable passes. So your secondary basically allowed let`s say 43 catchable balls (and that`s looking at it pessimistic), and only forced 14 "errors" - and that with a real, real good pass rush.

Now that is not good! It is not horrible, because it is Peyton, but it is also not good. KJ looked lost several times, GQ didn`t look good all game, McCain got beat...

KJ willlearn from this game, as well as the rest of our young secondary. And next week against McNabb I expect better numbers - but so far our secondary seems to be our weakness this year!

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Quin is also a liability in trying to tackle a RB. He whiffed and made generally bad angles on Addai and other ball carriers today.

Quin is normally very good in run support. Very, very good.

Thorn
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Oh good Lord, go wash your mouth out with soap. Don't even SAY that shit. :lol:

Or is it your keyboard.......:thinking:

SheTexan
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Manning can have all the yardage he wants...as long as the Texans win.

BINGO!!

Just for tonight guys, enjoy the win!! We deserve it!!!

Carr Bombed
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Kareem looked no worse then Dunta did last season. In fact Kareem might have looked better the D-Rob.

I don't like Dunta.......but he didn't look as bad as Kareem Jackson looked today.

However you can tell alot of his problems is just due to inexperience. A couple of times it looked like he didn't even know what play was called or what some of his assignments were. Those are issues that can be fixed in the film room and with good coaching.

ziggy29
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
...well... now that you mention it....
Mention what? Show me a team that has a QB throwing for 400 yards playing against a team that has a 200+ yard rusher, and I'll show you the probably outcome: the team with the stud RB probably won.

Texas T
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't like Dunta.......but he didn't look as bad as Kareem Jackson looked today.

However you can tell alot of his problems is just due to inexperience. A couple of times it looked like he didn't even know what play was called or what some of his assignments were. Those are issues that can be fixed in the film room and with good coaching.

For some reason I never saw KJ celebrating a tackle and allowing the Forehead to throw a TD on his side...just saying...

KJ did a good job, not great, against a fantastic QB and I'm sure he'll only get better.

:fans:

ReliantTexan
09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
The defense as a whole was great , they kept the colts at 10 points for the first three quarters and kept us in the lead through the entire game. Now I'll agree that the secondary especially our corners for the most part were picked apart, but understand that manning threw the ball more than he ever has in his career 57 attempts. The defense weathered the storm and made the necessary stops.

thunderkyss
09-12-2010, 07:07 PM

In the old days, we would have called them garbage stats.

Goatcheese
09-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Robinson gave up just 3 receptions for 24 yards against Manning in our first meeting with the Colts last season...

Jackson gave up that in a quarter today.

He's going to get better, and you can't judge a rookie by one game against a HoF QB, but he can't carry D-Rob's "Pay MeRick" cleats at this point.

thunderkyss
09-12-2010, 07:15 PM

I don't doubt that there are areas that need improvement.

But it's on film for us as well. Washington & Dallas have got pretty good QB/WR combos as well. Our passing game is going to have to show up if we're to have a chance of winning the next two.

thunderkyss
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
This!

And we weren't even blitzing.

TEXANRED
09-12-2010, 07:20 PM
When did our fan base stop understanding football?

Our defense was fanFNtastic today. They held the Colts to 10 first half points, made a huge Red Zone stop to force them to settle for a field goal and put Manning on his ass all day.

They ran all kinds of blitzes which means the secondary was left on an island. The secondary did a great job of keeping everything in front of them.

We just beat the Colts today. Not just win, beat. We dismantled them.

I am trying not to get to excited b/c its just one game and now have to go off and play the Skins and Cowboys but damn, it's hard not to.

I am extremely excited about our D!

Wolf
09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
if it makes anyone happy

NFL Network said The Texans took them to the woodshed today

These have been very few and far between (victories) and I LOVE It

Nawzer
09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Our defense was great today! Texans defensive mvp was Arian Foster, with the o-line and Vonta Leach finishing a close 2nd and 3rd. :bowdown:

Bronco Texan
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM

But it's on film for us as well. Washington & Dallas have got pretty good QB/WR combos as well. Our passing game is going to have to show up if we're to have a chance of winning the next two.

I don't think so. If we can get good production out of Foster for the next two games I think our passing game just needs to be decent. The Colts have a better passing attack then Dallas or Washington, and we didn't need Schaub at all today. Now do I expect Foster to rack up 231 yards the next two weeks? Nope, but I don't see why he can't average 130 yards.

Also who are we kidding? Schaub, AJ, JJ, OD, and KW aren't going anywhere this team's passing game will be strong again. Pair that with Foster's running game and we will be dangerous.

BIG TORO
09-12-2010, 07:29 PM
No buts Today, we beat the colts period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HJam72
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Our passing game hasn't gone anywhere anyway. They didn't even try to rack up any yardage. D-i-d-n-'-t n-e-e-d t-o a-t a-l-l.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Nobody gets rid of the ball quicker than Manning and he was on hid butt all day long. I'm fine with how our D played today. Especially without one of our best players. Couldn't ask for more.

TEXANRED
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think so. If we can get good production out of Foster for the next two games I think our passing game just needs to be decent. The Colts have a better passing attack then Dallas or Washington, and we didn't need Schaub at all today. Now do I expect Foster to rack up 231 yards the next two weeks? Nope, but I don't see why he can't average 130 yards.

Also who are we kidding? Schaub, AJ, JJ, OD, and KW aren't going anywhere this team's passing game will be strong again. Pair that with Foster's running game and we will be dangerous.

And pair that with a defense that got some nuts and we will win the division!

Dammit I told myself I wouldn't get excited. I just can't help it!

axman40
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
When did our fan base stop understanding football?

Our defense was fanFNtastic today. They held the Colts to 10 first half points, made a huge Red Zone stop to force them to settle for a field goal and put Manning on his ass all day.

They ran all kinds of blitzes which means the secondary was left on an island. The secondary did a great job of keeping everything in front of them.

We just beat the Colts today. Not just win, beat. We dismantled them.

I am trying not to get to excited b/c its just one game and now have to go off and play the Skins and Cowboys but damn, it's hard not to.

I am extremely excited about our D!
Some need to take off their depends and put their man pants on.
:kitten:

TexanBacker93
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
The defense got stops when they needed stops. At the end of the 1st half they kept Indy out of the endzone and forced a FG, in the second half Mario got the big sack to take Indy out of FG range, they forced the fumble when they were clinging to a 10 point lead early in the 4th. A young defense was facing one of the greatest QBs to ever play and held them to 10 points through the until there was only 5 minutes left in the game. They were also 4/12 on 3rd downs.

I'll be concerned if it continues, but right now I couldn't be happier.

Well, losing Barwin sucks so I guess I could be happier.

TexanBacker93
09-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Dunta's new team lost. Kareem's team won. I think that's what matters most.

TEXANRED
09-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Some need to take off their depends and put their man pants on.
:kitten:

Hey don't dis the depends. Its the only way to be able to go to the movie tavern and down 2 buckets of beer and see the end of the movie.

I can't wait for Iron Man 2 to come out to DVD b/c I am missing most of the end.

TexCanada
09-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Stats are over-rated. The reality is that we had Peyton on the run all day. If we continue to be able to put pressure on the QB like we did today, we will win a lot of games.

Showtime100
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm a Texan and my team found a way to win and then some. Worried? Always about something but not today.

I'm sick of being worried, pissed, tormented, discouraged, and just flat out go-punch-that-copper-in-the-face angry at this team. Today I'm proud, pumped, hopeful, and just might say 'hi' to a stranger for no reason...lol.

Actually I'm not that worried. The Texans played a solid football game against a very good team and had enough room at the end to give up a brain fart that no one smelled.

If I'm a Colt fan I can't begin to know where to worry first. Life as they know it could be over.

Hervoyel
09-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Indeed. Inflated to some degree by a very nice 73 yard TD in what could only be called "garbage time". His day was still good but closer to 390 yards and 2 TD's when it was in doubt.

Then weigh that against the fact that he's Peyton Frigging Manning and call ourselves lucky. Jugghead is going to get his. No matter how good you are unless he's got something wrong with him he's going to get his yards and some touchdowns. It's the way of things. I heard someone talking on 610 on the way home about how you'll "lose" every time if you plan on measuring victory in "yards" when playing the Manning led Colts. You can only measure it points or wins/losses.

We held their running game to what? 44 yards? and won the game. I'm happy.

Hervoyel
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
We are unhappy about the 2-15 mark we have against the Colts and that's good, I'd hate to be ok with it as a team or a fanbase. Keep it somewhat in perspective though.

Since 2006, our first year with Kubiak (basically lopping off the Capers years) the Colts have lost a total of 13 games in the regular season. Consider the following:

Two of those losses were at the end of last year when the team basically threw in the towel two weeks early to prepare for the playoffs handing the Bills and Jets free wins. Set those aside and that leaves 11 games in 4 years and one week (this one that we're all so afraid to really appreciate).

In that time the Titans have beaten them three times out of eight, The Jaguars only twice in eight attempts. The other teams to have a win against the Colts in the regular season are the Cowboys, Patriots, Chargers, Bears, and Packers. Not a lot of weak sisters in there.

The Colts are just that good. Today we were better. Enjoy it and know that we'll need a similar type of game out of our line and RB's to have any chance at all in their house later this season.

worldlyman
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't worry about Manning's yards today. I worry about the upcoming games. Can we get to 4-0 and then get Cushing back? Because when Cushing comes back, the league is going to have to play Texans games at midnight because of the degree of violence on the TV.

Awesome!

TheRealJoker
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Don't worry about the passing game. Schaub always has trouble against the Colts pass rush and cover 2. However, we got a running game to help him out now. So he just has to be good enough not to lose against the Colts ;)

Showtime100
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't worry about the passing game. Schaub always has trouble against the Colts pass rush and cover 2. However, we got a running game to help him out now. So he just has to be good enough not to lose against the Colts ;)

I was thinking about how they might prepare for the Texans next. Today sure could have opened up the pass for the next game. Just a thought as I trembled and sweated during the final 5 minutes today...lol.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Dunta's new team lost. Kareem's team won. I think that's what matters most.

And what does that have to do with talking about a player's performance?

I'm not bashing the guy.....I'm just talking about his play, it's what we do here.

I'm glad we won, I'm also glad we won a game where our rookie corner struggled a little bit against regular season speed.......but he was able to get valuable experience. Now he knows what NFL speed is like, I hope he makes the adjustment.

Showtime100
09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Such a troublemaker CB, Geeez. :D :fans:

Lucky
09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
and put Manning on his ass all day.
I can't overemphasize how important that was. Not just for today, but for future meetings. These teams could very well meet twice more this season. Manning now knows he will be in a tackle football game when he faces the Texans.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I can't overemphasize how important that was. Not just for today, but for future meetings. These teams could very well meet twice more this season. Manning now knows he will be in a tackle football game when he faces the Texans.

Yeah, this was easily Mario Williams' best game as a pro....even though he has had better statistical games, they still don't top the one that he played today.

GNTLEWOLF
09-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Im just feeling good about the win today. Tomorrow I will critique the team.
Feelin the win baby!:bender:

TheRealJoker
09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
What was Mario's final numbers in terms of sacks/hurries/knockdowns?

CloakNNNdagger
09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Chris Carter on the ESPN wrap up credited "Houston's BIG offensive line overpowering the Colts undersized defensive line" with their success.........Our BIG offensive line.:specnatz:

Giant Tiger
09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Matt doesn't throw the pick, the score could have been 13-3 or worse at the half. D played its ass off.

True; plus Quin had an interception if it hadn't been punched out. That would have eliminated their 2nd TD. We used to score late against the Colts in garbage time. Today the tables were turned, and then we ran out the clock. We knew they'd score, we had to get touchdowns, not field goals; and we did. We didn't just match them after they got the first shot in; we beat them. I'm savoring this win. We actually controlled the LOS. Wow, a running game! When's the last time we could say that? :aggressive:

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, this was easily Mario Williams' best game as a pro....even though he has had better statistical games, they still don't top the one that he played today.

And how about Amobi? The kid was a BEAST. Antonio, too. They've both had better games from a statistical standpoint but from a pure "playing the game" viewpoint, they were awesome.

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Did Shaun Cody even play today?

SheTexan
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
from a pure "playing the game" viewpoint, they were awesome.

And THAT my friend is what it's all about!!!

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Oh, yeah. Cody had a good game, too. He didn't get much in the way of pressure but he was playing well against the run and he was active. He got a couple of tackles.

EDIT: They were pulling Cody a lot when they were going to "rush" types of fronts... which was pretty much every snap when we had a > 7 point lead.

Big Lou
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Cody, has the slowest reaction time I've ever seen. The ball would snap and then like and then after half a second he would react.

I kept getting that ba dumpa, ba dump music in my head from the old cartoons with the turtle and the hare!!!!!

GP
09-12-2010, 11:22 PM

Have you been watching the game?

The Skins-Cowboys game is super sloppy. Running game, via Foster, can maybe put up another 200 yards against Skins AND Cowboys.

With the way our guys were blocking today, they're going to blow through the 3-4 like nobody's business.

CloakNNNdagger
09-13-2010, 12:01 AM

The Skins-Cowboys game is super sloppy. Running game, via Foster, can maybe put up another 200 yards against Skins AND Cowboys.

With the way our guys were blocking today, they're going to blow through the 3-4 like nobody's business.

Anybody that complained about our team and coaching staff in the past should be required to watch this Dallas/Skins game.

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Actually, I don't think we blitzed much at all yesterday. Frank Bush & Bill Kollar did a fantastic job with the front 4, some of their alignments were insane, especially after the Colts were one dimensional. Some of them were just begging the Colts to run up the middle.

I'd like to get a count of how many times we sent more than 4, but we were able to get to Peyton (hurries & hits) with just three.

BigBull17
09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Anybody that complained about our team and coaching staff in the past should be required to watch this Dallas/Skins game.

THIS. What a poorly coached bunch of slap asses. Horribly ugly game.

Dallas has Homo to Austin, but the Skins receivers are average. And that's being nice.

hradhak
09-13-2010, 09:25 AM
The Cowgirls always have a knack for turning it on at odd times. I don't know if it will be week 3 that it happens, but we need to treat it like a playoff game.

I would be VERY satisfied if we shut down Miles Austin, so that Cowgirl fans will stop saying he is a top 5 wide out and better than Andre Johnson blah blah blah.

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 09:33 AM

I did watch much of the Cowboy/Skins game. Offensively they were sloppy, because defensively they were pretty good. There's no way Foster is going to run 200 yards on the Cowboy's/Skins.

231 yards against the Colts, is like 97 yards against a good defense.

I know I am not a coach, & I don't mean to act like one. Last night was the time for celebrating, today is the day to identify issues, they'll be off tomorrow, then Wednesday they need to start working on Washington.

Or something like that, maybe they are off today & tomorrow, I don't know.

I'm not trying to be negative Nancy, it was a good, dominant win. I'm just saying.

DexmanC
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Skins/Cowboys have ELITE, PHYSICAL defenses. The Texans WILL NOT
push EITHER of those defensive lines around the field. A mature team
would know that, and gameplan accordingly. This is the type of game
which will show growth and maturity. The skins play in a stadium that
seats 90,000 people. Since they won last night, expect that stadium to
be PACKED and HOSTILE.

Albert Haynesworth vs. Matt Schaub hasn't always worked out in our favor.
Fortunately, Matt goes into this fight with a lot of help.

hradhak
09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I suspect that teams have not looked at us as a running team. Teams will start scheming around our run game. But I think we are good enough to be a 100+ yard rushing team every game against the majority of defenses in the league.

GP
09-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I did watch much of the Cowboy/Skins game. Offensively they were sloppy, because defensively they were pretty good. There's no way Foster is going to run 200 yards on the Cowboy's/Skins.

I know I am not a coach, & I don't mean to act like one. Last night was the time for celebrating, today is the day to identify issues, they'll be off tomorrow, then Wednesday they need to start working on Washington.

I'm not trying to be negative Nancy, it was a good, dominant win. I'm just saying.

I'll put it this way, then:

I didn't see anything last night that threatens the Texans IF the Texans play as motivated and disciplined as they did yesterday vs. Colts.

IF we come out uninspired, making mistakes, and essentially "playing down to the level of our competition," then we're in trouble.

I am hoping that we're working extra diligently this week on installing a few plays that will take advantage of how well we ran the ball vs. the Colts. Shanahan and his group will be finding ways to take Foster out of the equation. I would like to see more two-back formations, maybe even throwing James Casey back there as an h-back who could block or break off and run a pass route--James Casey was blocking his rear off in the preseason.

Overall, I feel like this team made a TRUE jump this year. I know we've been guilty of saying that in the past. This past game was a whole new level of accomplishment in my eyes. I hope they carry it over to next Sunday.

BigBull17
09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Skins/Cowboys have ELITE, PHYSICAL defenses. The Texans WILL NOT
push EITHER of those defensive lines around the field. A mature team
would know that, and gameplan accordingly. This is the type of game
which will show growth and maturity. The skins play in a stadium that
be PACKED and HOSTILE.

Except Haynesworth couldn't get on the field. That thing is on a path of destruction.

gtexan02
09-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Skins/Cowboys have ELITE, PHYSICAL defenses.

Neither of those defenses looked elite or physical. When the Cowboys finally stopped their ridiculous dink and dunk gameplan, they moved the ball quite easily on the Redskins.

When they didn't resort to draws they were able to run the ball as well.

The Texans WILL NOT push EITHER of those defensive lines around the field.

We just pushed last year's superbowl team all around the field.

We also pushed the Cowboys around in the preseason. We were told that was a vanilla scheme, but watching the game yesterday, the schemes looked the same.

You can't blitz the Texans like you can blitz the cowboys. Our offensive line is a lot better than theirs.

You seem awfully negative.

The skins play in a stadium that
be PACKED and HOSTILE.

There is a zero percent chance that their fans show the same motivation against the Texans than against the Cowboys. Its like when we play the Titans. We're raucous. Against the Texans, eh, regular game. Their stadium has always seated that many. Its open air, I don't think it'll matter.

And Haynesworth has been horrific so far. Gurode dominated him last night. When he even made it on the field.

The announcers said he looked completely lost

HOU-TEX
09-13-2010, 10:23 AM
My primary concern from yesterdays defensive game was the amount of zone we played. I absolutely despise zone coverage. I understand it must be run at times, but as much as we ran it yesterday? Against Manning? It shows lack of faith in our CB's.

Giving up a 70+ yard pass while in a prevent defense = :facepalm:

In the end, we won and I'm a bit giddy. But, we still have 15 to go!

My props go out to D. Brown, W. Smith, Myers (yes, I said it), Caldwell/Brisiel, Winston and last but not least......Vonta "Tha Beast" Leach!!!

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
My primary concern from yesterdays defensive game was the amount of zone we played. I absolutely despise zone coverage. I understand it must be run at times, but as much as we ran it yesterday? Against Manning? It shows lack of faith in our CB's.

Giving up a 70+ yard pass while in a prevent defense = :facepalm:

In the end, we won and I'm a bit giddy. But, we still have 15 to go!

My props go out to D. Brown, W. Smith, Myers (yes, I said it), Caldwell/Brisiel, Winston and last but not least......Vonta "Tha Beast" Leach!!!

Hey man, if you can rip a guy when he sucks, you to need to give him props when he plays well!! Props to those guys.

Showtime100
09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I suspect that teams have not looked at us as a running team. Teams will start scheming around our run game. But I think we are good enough to be a 100+ yard rushing team every game against the majority of defenses in the league.

Enter: Andre Johnson. :)

Dread-Head
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
The only defensive play that pissed me off was that touchdown in the last two minutes. You don't allow Isht like that EVER...under ANY circumstances. It doesn't matter if Jesus Christ is playing QB for the other team you don't let someone score on you like that. Period.

Errant Hothy
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM

I'm hoping/thinking that the zone was more a product of who they were playing more then a move to zone as a staple of the D.

Rey
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM

I think that shows respect for Manning...

Takes longer to read a zone defense than it does man to man...

Of course if your pass rush isn't pressuring him to make a quick throw then he'll find the holes in it and eat you alive.

I'm hoping/thinking that the zone was more a product of who they were playing more then a move to zone as a staple of the D.

I would not be surprised to see us play a lot of zone this year...With young corners everywhere that's probably best...

I think Manning would have loved to faced man to man all day long...That's what most QB's want...

dalemurphy
09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

I thought this was sarcasm. But, I guess it wasn't.

The defense was awesome! Stop staring at stats and watch the game. They beat the heck out of Peyton, stopped the Colts on 3rd down, created a turnover, eliminated the running game.... I'm not sure what you people are wanting sometimes.

Ole Miss Texan
09-13-2010, 10:54 AM

433 Passing yards againt us is awful no matter how you slice it, but here is how I'm rationalizing it.

- 57 Pass Attempts. I went back and looked up Peyton's Game Logs. That's the most pass attempts he's ever had in a game. He's played 12 Full seasons, plus who knows how many playoff games. Most attempts EVER! EDIT: Just looked it up he has 18 Post Season games (16 since 2002). That's over another full regular season, plus this 1 game in 2010. So that's basically 13.2 full regular seasons.

- Peyton has 10 games of 400+ passing yards. Attempts in the 20's (1); 30's (5); 40's (2); 50's (2).

- His record is 7-3 in games he has over 400 passing yards (1-1 against the Texans).

- What pushed him into the 400's was the 73 Yard TD at the end of the game. Am I okay with the fact we gave that up? Hell no! Even though I think Peyton can ALWAYS find a way to come back and win a game, they were down 34-17 at that point. Once they scored they were down 10 pts with 1 minute and 15 seconds left on the clock. I'm not necessarily calling that "garbage time" b/c mathematically, they could have somehow won the game... it was just very very highly unlikely they pull off 2 onside kicks and score twice within 75 seconds of each other. We still should not of given up that TD though.

CloakNNNdagger
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
And Haynesworth has been horrific so far. Gurode dominated him last night. When he even made it on the field.

The announcers said he looked completely lost

Rotoworld from the Washington Post (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2636&line=181739&spln=1)

Albert Haynesworth saw just 16 snaps, primarily at nose tackle, in the Redskins' win over the Cowboys on Sunday night.

Haynesworth played nice after the game, saying he would have to "get used" to playing nose tackle and his sporadic snaps. The NBC cameras, however, caught him angrily stewing as he stayed away from a defensive huddle and getting manhandled inside on a couple runs.

He was panting like a dog. The reason he looked so completely lost is that he missed most of the preseason and was still playing off of the Titans playbook while in the Shanahan system.

Thorn
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Until the Texans prove they are for real and can be a consistent winner people are going to doubt them, including a lot of us. Even if Washington and Dallas are really that horrible it doesn't matter. The Texans have to take it to them.

DexmanC
09-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Until the Texans prove they are for real and can be a consistent winner people are going to doubt them, including a lot of us. Even if Washington and Dallas are really that horrible it doesn't matter. The Texans have to take it to them.

I'm in this camp. I gave my reasons why the Texans shouldn't expect to
run over the Cowboys/Skins as easily as I did the Colts, and I got the
"Homer Rationalization" response. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this team.
If they play the way they are supposed to, they can beat ANYBODY. However,
the test of the season aren't their opponents. The test of the season is
THEMSELVES, and that battle is between their ears.

If the Skins/Cowboys are as bad as the other guy says they are, then the
Texans will win by 20+ points and it will be put away in the third quarter.
Something tells me that the Redskins, with all the veterans on that team,
AND 90,000 crazy skins fans cheering them on won't be a cakewalk.

The Texans had better not go into ANY game thinking they've got it won
before kickoff.

TexanBacker93
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Cody, has the slowest reaction time I've ever seen. The ball would snap and then like and then after half a second he would react.

I kept getting that ba dumpa, ba dump music in my head from the old cartoons with the turtle and the hare!!!!!

You know I was thinking the same thing last night watching the Redskins-Cowboys game. Big Al was about a half second after everyone else getting off the ball. I didn't really notice Cody yesterday. Maybe it was because it seemed Mario was in the backfield before the snap each time. I know Smith was on one play at least.

Rey
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM

I know that it was just pre-season, but we didn't really struggle running the ball against Dallas when we played them.

I think that they are a better run defense than the Colts, but I think Foster will put up at least 125 on them.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm in this camp. I gave my reasons why the Texans shouldn't expect to
run over the Cowboys/Skins as easily as I did the Colts, and I got the
"Homer Rationalization" response. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this team.
If they play the way they are supposed to, they can beat ANYBODY. However,
the test of the season aren't their opponents. The test of the season is
THEMSELVES, and that battle is between their ears.

If the Skins/Cowboys are as bad as the other guy says they are, then the
Texans will win by 20+ points and it will be put away in the third quarter.
Something tells me that the Redskins, with all the veterans on that team,
AND 90,000 crazy skins fans cheering them on won't be a cakewalk.

The Texans had better not go into ANY game thinking they've got it won
before kickoff.

This gets back to something I've said over and over again.

WE, as fans, can look at the Redskins and the Cowboys and say "We should beat the snot out of these guys" because we are fans. But the Texans can't afford to look past ANYONE because they're players.

Everyone said that the Cowboy game in preseason was the Super Bowl for the Texans. And then everyone said that this first game of the season was the Super Bowl for the Texans. Well... EVERY game this year better be treated like it's the Super Bowl for the Texans BY the Texans. They need to bring that intensity to every single game.

Even if they do that, they're going to lose some games but this team has the ability to win every single game on the schedule.

Ole Miss Texan
09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
This gets back to something I've said over and over again.

WE, as fans, can look at the Redskins and the Cowboys and say "We should beat the snot out of these guys" because we are fans. But the Texans can't afford to look past ANYONE because they're players.

Everyone said that the Cowboy game in preseason was the Super Bowl for the Texans. And then everyone said that this first game of the season was the Super Bowl for the Texans. Well... EVERY game this year better be treated like it's the Super Bowl for the Texans BY the Texans. They need to bring that intensity to every single game.

Even if they do that, they're going to lose some games but this team has the ability to win every single game on the schedule.

I've got the same thoughts as you. Every game is a "must win" for us. Plus, although Dallas and Washington both looked bad, they're division rivals - those games always seem to be different. To me it doesn't matter how 1 team plays against another team... it's against us that matters. That's what we call a match up. A team could be 0-15 but cause more of a threat to beat us than a 15-0 team. It's all about how does Team A match up against Team B. Not their record or how they've played. Plus these are two 3-4 teams which we've typically struggled against.

I'm very very optimistic about playing WAS, DAL, OAK, NYG and DEN before our bye week BUT we've got to take care of business. We've got to come out each game like we did against the Colts (only replace those FGs with TDs)!!!

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM

Which is why I say we need to get our passing game where it was last year. If we can do that, we'll be able to punk defenses all day, regardless who it is.

Neither of those defenses looked elite or physical. When the Cowboys finally stopped their ridiculous dink and dunk gameplan, they moved the ball quite easily on the Redskins.

I watched Jay Ratliff put on a show last night. The man is smart, quick, & strong. Ware is a beast. Igor & Spears & Hatcher are monsters. That is going to be a physical game.

We just pushed last year's superbowl team all around the field.

That team is notorious for bad run D.

We also pushed the Cowboys around in the preseason. We were told that was a vanilla scheme, but watching the game yesterday, the schemes looked the same.

ridiculous, they looked much better, and much more physical, and much faster than they did in the preseason.

You can't blitz the Texans like you can blitz the cowboys. Our offensive line is a lot better than theirs.

Jim Haslett was doing some innovative stuff last night. After one game, I hope we have enough film to figure some of it out, where we aren't surprised by what they're going to do.

You seem awfully negative.

There is a zero percent chance that their fans show the same motivation against the Texans than against the Cowboys. Its like when we play the Titans. We're raucous. Against the Texans, eh, regular game. Their stadium has always seated that many. Its open air, I don't think it'll matter.

I don't think it's being negative, I think it fits the context of this thread.

The Skins have been looking for winning football for a long time now (not as long as us) they have reason to believe, I bet they show up.

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM

The defense was awesome! Stop staring at stats and watch the game. They beat the heck out of Peyton, stopped the Colts on 3rd down, created a turnover, eliminated the running game.... I'm not sure what you people are wanting sometimes.

eliminating the Colts run game isn't that big of a deal.

I think some fans are just saying, yeah we looked awesome, but we shouldn't start thinking Super Bowl just yet (even though I am). We've got a long way to go, and it would be better for us to realize we have issues.

For me, everything is about Kubiak, if we don't see improvements in the areas being identified in the next few weeks, I'm going to imagine he isn't paying attention like a Championship coach should. I think he's a Championship coach, I have no idea he finished celebrating yesterday, and he's working on these issues.

I come to this board, as opposed to HT.com, other fans come to this board over their own boards, because there are good football discussions here. A real discussion about our faults at this time, is part of that. I think.

Exactly.

TexanExile
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Totally agree that there were still faults to be discussed and that the passing stats for Manning are alarming.

At first.

I've listened to/read a ton of NFL coverage today, and one overriding theme I keep hearing is: "THE PATRIOTS ARE BACK!" The love being showered on the Pats is remarkable. And deserved, I guess...especially Welker's performance. But you know what I've heard exactly ZERO people say today?

"Wow, Carson Palmer lit up that Patriot defense! He threw 50 balls and hung 345 yards and 24 points on them! What a terrible pass defense!"

Can you think of another team that gave up 24 points and hundreds of yards...and still won? Let's accept who we played and accept they were going to do SOMETHING while they were on the field.

With apologies to those of you reading this on Commodore 64s with dial-up Internet connected via two soup cans strung across greater Nashville, it wasn't like we were playing Oakland.

Texans34Life
09-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I hate to bring this thread up, but even with our 2 great wins over IND and WAS, I knew our freaking secondary was crap. What the hell is David Gibbs and Frank Bush going to do about it?

thunderkyss
09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I hate to bring this thread up, but even with our 2 great wins over IND and WAS, I knew our freaking secondary was crap. What the hell is David Gibbs and Frank Bush going to do about it?

Well.. you know how people are always complaining that we are weak at the FS position? Yet we never seem to do anything about it on draft day.

That has something to do with it. If you watch other football games (tonights will be a good one to watch) watch how often a LB breaks up a pass, or hits a receiver as he catches the ball, thus preventing him from catching said ball.

You don't see any of that with Cushing out. Cushing coming back will help our coverage problem tremendously. If Barber plays a little better than Wilson, that would help as well. I'd really rather see Nolan back there, but I think our coaches are worried about getting even younger back there.

Nolan is a playmaker, and needs to be on the field.

DexmanC
09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Jon Busing looked like a playmaker last preseason, and when they started
him, he became a HUGE liability in the run game. If teams can't run it, they
throw it. If they can't pass it, they run it. Either way, you've gotta find a
way to stop BOTH.

As we saw yesterday, the Texans have a highly-ranked run defense not
because they are good. It's ranked highly because guys are running
free damn-near IMMEDIATELY through the secondary. Teams don't HAVE
to run. This is the nut-cutting part of the season. It's the first twelve
games. Teams give you their best shot until they are eliminated from
playoff contention. The Texans have yet to prove they are "for real."

With this loss, good teams find a way to win three-in-a-row. I'll be
updating my signature accordingly.

Blake
09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
We were playing Manning, so I'll cut them some slack. Now, if this trend continues through Washington and Dallas, then I'm gonna have a problem with that.

I think we all have a problem with that now. WTF

thunderkyss
09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I think we all have a problem with that now. WTF

Agreed. So what we played Manning, McNabb, & Romo. Chances are pretty good, if we make it to the play-offs, we'll be playing a Manning, Brady, Rivers....

We've got to find a way to not allow them to complete 70% of their passes.

Thorn
09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
We've been bitching about the secondary for years now, it seems. I would imagine in next years draft (if there is one :eek: ) we'll be drafting defensive secondary player(s) in the high rounds again.

Texan_Bill
09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
We've been bitching about the secondary for years now, it seems. I would imagine in next years draft (if there is one :eek: ) we'll be drafting defensive secondary player(s) in the high rounds again.

Hell, bring Aaron Glenn out of retirement and it would be an upgrade.

El Tejano
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Well.. you know how people are always complaining that we are weak at the FS position? Yet we never seem to do anything about it on draft day.

That has something to do with it. If you watch other football games (tonights will be a good one to watch) watch how often a LB breaks up a pass, or hits a receiver as he catches the ball, thus preventing him from catching said ball.

You don't see any of that with Cushing out. Cushing coming back will help our coverage problem tremendously. If Barber plays a little better than Wilson, that would help as well. I'd really rather see Nolan back there, but I think our coaches are worried about getting even younger back there.

Nolan is a playmaker, and needs to be on the field.

It also means that we got someone else providing pressure aside from Mario so it usually results in better coverage from the DBs. How many times has Adibi been sent on a blitz over the last 3 weeks?

Ryan
12-22-2010, 03:06 AM
:wadepalm:

Ryan
12-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Garbage time stats, bro.

boy was i fooled :(

HOU-TEX
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM

:thinking:

Texans34Life
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
You guys actually had faith in this defense? Once I saw the crap secondary that we had, I knew we were going to have a long season.