PDA

View Full Version : First Test For Kareem Jackson

gary
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
What do you all think? I thoght he and Glover held up alright today. There was a play where he had his man covered pretty well in the endzone. I also think Smith and Mario helped him out by putting Peyton on his butt a few times. Your thoughts on KJ?

wagonhed
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
He has a lot of work to do. So do Quin and McCain. I'd probably rate them a C at best.

kcdoubleeagle
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I was wondering what people thought, too...It looked like the young corners did well...but I did see that Peyton threw for 433 yards and 3 TD's.

Texas T
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I think they did pretty good.
Keep in mind that they are playing against the forehead and that's a tall order for any CB.
We really don't have another QB of his caliber on the schedule until him again.
I really think they'll be okay.

TexanFan881
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes Kareem was consistantly getting beat by his man. It was pretty awful to watch. I was watching him the whole game because Manning kept going at him. As happy as I am about this first game this was definately a disappointment. He caught a few breaks with dropped balls and that forced fumble after he got beat bad.

LikeMike
09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
The bad thing about KJ: he got beat consistently against Garcon in the first half - good thing Garcon dropped a couple of passes.

The good things: he played real good against the run, good tacker. And: he played better as the game progressed. He still got much learning to do, but I think he will be a real asset to us as the season goes on.

Jackie Chiles
I was wondering what people thought, too...It looked like the young corners did well...but I did see that Peyton threw for 433 yards and 3 TD's.

When he throws the ball 57 times hes going to put up numbers. The DBs didn't play great but they did their job and the D-line was fantastic for the most part. They will get better and they will probably look better against people not named Peyton.

The Cush
Apparently in college he was known for having troulbe guarding the slant and it showed a few times today. He did OK, as it seems to be pretty much impossible to stop Peyton from nickel and diming his way up the field no matter who's on defense

gtexan02
09-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Peyton had 60 freaking attempts. He dinked and dunked except for that one huge play in garbage time

Scooter
09-12-2010, 04:05 PM
IMO kareem played a pretty dang good game. we forced peyton to dink and dunk his way down the field and jackson made several good plays, including solid tackling.

he got lost on a couple of zones, but overall i was truely impressed.

HJam72
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
It's Peyton Manning. He was behind all day and passed ALL GAME LONG. They weren't perfect, but I give them a LOT of credit for not completely blowing it.

Sure, I'll go with a C+, but just be ready to give them an A+ every time they are outstanding against below average QBs...

I don't imagine Robinson would have done any better than KJ. Probably worse...

mattieuk
When he throws the ball 57 times hes going to put up numbers. The DBs didn't play great but they did their job and the D-line was fantastic for the most part. They will get better and they will probably look better against people not named Peyton.

Yup, you're right. He threw an absurd about of times.

If he throws the 'usual' 30 times, then he looks like he had as bad a game as the rest of his horseshoes.

Rasputin
I'd say the young corners get about a 7 out of 10. Couldn't ask for a more difficult 1st test and they were standing victorious in the end.

Miggsy
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
I think that was about as good a game as we could have expected out of the guy. Didn't give up the big plays (unless that last one was on him I don't know whose assignment that was).

I'm happy with him just on first glance so far.

PockyAF
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Absolutely abysmal.

If Garcon wasn't suffering from butterfingers for most of the day, he would of had an absurd amount of yards as well as a couple of TDs today.

Our X-Factor today truly was the Colt's WRs; they were killing their teams early in the game. Consistently getting over the top of our DBs, as if they were on roller skates, and dropping the passes thrown to them. This is the reason why they couldn't extend their drive and punt often early on.

We were lucky they came out flat, or else I'm not sure we would had won the game. Hopefully, our DBs will become more refined after this game and heading forward, or else it will be a weakness that could be a downfall that could cost us many games.

BTW, that should have been an interception by Glover Quin. He got screwed out of his first NFL interception.

Thorn
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Considering we were up against Manning today, I think they did fairly well.

Our best defensive players of the day were Colt wide recievers dropping balls and Arian Foster. LOL

Oh yeah, and that big tall guy knocking The Forehead down.

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Considering they played against a 2 time NFL MVP and probably one of, if not the best QB in the NFL, not bad day for them...

Manning is Manning and he is gonna get his yards. Now had someone like Jason Cambell or someone like that got 400+ yards on the secondary, then I would be concerned....

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Considering we were up against Manning today, I think they did fairly well.

Our best defensive players of the day were Colt wide recievers dropping balls and Arian Foster. LOL

Oh yeah, and that big tall guy knocking The Forehead down.

Did you notice Manning taking 3 step drops pretty much the 4th quarter? Manning HATES to get hit and he got hit often today....

HJam72
09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Absolutely abysmal.

If Garcon wasn't suffering from butterfingers for most of the day, he would of had an absurd amount of yards as well as a couple of TDs today.

Our X-Factor today truly was the Colt's WRs; they were killing their teams early in the game. Consistently getting over the top of our DBs, as if they were on roller skates, and dropping the passes thrown to them. This is the reason why they couldn't extend their drive and punt often early on.

We were lucky they came out flat, or else I'm not sure we would had won the game. Hopefully, our DBs will become more refined after this game and heading forward, or else it will be a weakness that could be a downfall that could cost us many games.

BTW, that should have been an interception by Glover Quin. He got screwed out of his first NFL interception.

I have to admit the bolded is a good point. More credit to the pass rushers, because, even though those were catchable passes, Manning would normally put those in Garcon's sweet spot and not let him screw up.

Guess Manning isn't perfect when he's getting choked while passing. :strangle: :)

Scooter
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Considering they played against a 2 time NFL MVP and probably one of, if not the best QB in the NFL, not bad day for them...

Manning is Manning and he is gonna get his yards. Now had someone like Jason Cambell or someone like that got 400+ yards on the secondary, then I would be concerned....

4 time MVP (in the last 7 years), but yeah.

ObsiWan
09-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Count me among those who are concerned that Manning racked up 433 yds and 3 scores when he was playing from behind most of the day - certainly all of the second half - and we still couldn't get a pick or seemingly even slow him down.

We KNEW he had to throw and couldn't slow him down. Lucky for us that his defense got hit in the mouth repeatedly by Foster and couldn't slow him down either.

dream_team
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
It seemed like from the start, Peyton wanted to test the rookie. Good idea on his part, as Garcon repeatedly beat Kareem. Lucky for us, Garcon couldn't hang onto the ball.

Texans the switched to zone coverage, which Peyton still picked apart. Hard to tell how well Kareem does in zone as you'll need to look back at the tape and see if he was at the right place or not.

But considering our corners are very young, and going up against the best QB to ever play... I'd say they did sufficiently.

HJam72
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Ah, but we did get a pick. It just got slapped out....and maybe should've been a pick and fumble out of bounds.

Only way any pass D is really gonna look good against Manning for a whole game is if the Colts offense runs like we did today, which ain't gonna happen either. You win, you're whole D did good. End of story...

BullNation4Life
09-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Count me among those who are concerned that Manning racked up 433 yds and 3 scores when he was playing from behind most of the day - certainly all of the second half - and we still couldn't get a pick or seemingly even slow him down.

We KNEW he had to throw and couldn't slow him down. Lucky for us that his defense got hit in the mouth repeatedly by Foster and couldn't slow him down either.

Actually they had a pick and Garcion made a great play on the ball. that pick was the cause of the D-line collapsing the pocket on Manning.

Manning is Manning, he dinks and dunks then kills you over the top. Like I said, had this been Jason Cambell or Mark Sanchez doing this, I would be worried but it was Manning so....

LikeMike
On that note, how did Earl Mittchell do? Our D-Line looked good, but I didn`t really pay too much attention to him.

And did any other rookie play?

hradhak
Yes, they put up 400+ yards. But they have Texans '09 syndrome. They moved it all over the place but couldn't punch it in. The defensive backs are going to have a lag time to catch up with the team, but the main things is they clamped down when needed.

Kareem Jackson has got to learn from this experience. Manning was abusing KJ and he went to him repeatedly on 3rd down. But that's going to be KJ for this year, he's going to have to learn to play his guys tight.

gtexan02
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
60 freaking attempts,

Last year Manning had about 8 yards per attempt. We held him to 7.5 today. Nothing special, just manning being manning.

You take away that 73 yarder in garbage time and he's got 350 yards on 60 attempts, which is pretty horrible.

When Kobe goes off for 50 points on 50 shots, its a victory for the defense.

TexCanada
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
It was KJ's first game ever in the NFL!! He was playing against a future HOFer. Of course he was going to give up yards. All we can ask is that KJ learns from the mistakes he made, and continues to work hard and get better every game.

GP
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Exactly how I feel. It sounds like a cop-out, but it's not.

Manning is Manning. You beat him by not freaking out over the yards and the TDs he gets, and you gotta' knock him down and make him nervous because it disrupts the timing of his throws. Lastly, you have to pray that all of it culminates in his receivers dropping a key 3rd down pass, or the defense sacking him.

Those things happened today. And we ate the clock in the 2nd half, and scored our own TDs. So it came out a Texans win.

I'm not going to get down on the CBs. I thought KJ played better than Quin, IMO. We didn't even have The Cush out there, guys. Can't imagine what happens when he comes back for game 5.

We just gotta' run the ball and play defense like we did today. Any other team we would have played today, minus the Saints and possibly the Patriots, we would've got like 7 sacks on the QB. We were in Manning's face all day long. It's never been THAT chaotic for him in the past against us. Never.

We beat the dog crap out of them today. Both sides of the ball.

gary
09-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Did KJ get beat? Yhea. But overall he was decent.

BigBull17
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I also noticed on alot if the drops, it was passes that he couldnt quiet put in there because he was under pressure.

Brisco_County
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Someone said abysmal, which is an exaggeration. I noticed him getting burned on one play in particular, but it appeared Manning picked more on Quin.

I saw a few good things too. He was responsible for the late fumble, he covered Garcon tight in the endzone and prevented a TD, and deflected a pass over the middle that prevented a first down.

Lucky
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
It was a baptism by fire for Kareem. It doesn't get tougher than Peyton Manning and the Colt receivers. This experience can only help him. What I liked best was that he never got down on himself. That's essential in the makeup of a CB.

gary
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Someone said abysmal, which is an exaggeration. I noticed him getting burned on one play in particular, but it appeared Manning picked more on Quin.

I saw a few good things too. He was responsible for the late fumble, he covered Garcon tight in the endzone and prevented a TD, and deflected a pass over the middle that prevented a first down.
This. Anytime there are postives from a starting rookie going against the best in the league that is a good sign.

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
We had a rookie CB starting against a HOF QB. If you were expecting him to go Revis, then maybe you were expecting a bit much.

He got beat some. He made some mistakes. But he also made some good plays and he played hard. He should get better.

In addition to him, our other two CBs were only 2nd year guys. And they're still improving, too.

The defensive gameplan was obviously to keep everything underneath and not let anyone kill them deep. For the most part, they played that pretty well. We kept Manning to hitting short, quick routes underneath.

There were a couple of times where it looked like our safeties weren't in position, where the CB was expecting deep help and not getting it. We got lucky in some respects but we made our own luck in others by getting pressure on Manning so he wasn't able to always put the ball where he wanted it and where he normally would have put it.

As a first test for KJ, I think this was a definite passing grade. I look forward to the future with this defense.