PDA

View Full Version : We've got Peyton's Number

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
From across the border (you should recognize this by the acceptable [not typos] spellings of defence and offence) comes a quite refressing article on the Texans featuring DeMeco. I learned something that I never knew.......that the Texans can be proud of at least one accomplishment........so to speak, they have had Peyton's number greater than any other team [see bolded statement within the article]

Texans know what's coming from Manning and Indianapolis Colts in opener
By Chris Duncan (CP) – 1 hour ago

HOUSTON — Houston Texans All-Pro middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans likes the challenge of trying to decipher Peyton Manning's frantic calls and signals before every snap.

Ryans knows better than to overanalyze each one when Houston opens its season against Manning and the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. But if he can pick out one important phrase and relay it to Houston's defence in time to ruin a play, he'll feel like he's earned a minor victory against the four-time league MVP.

"You're always trying to find an edge, always trying to find a key on some type of play, anything you can find," Ryans said. "We're going to play our defence. But if I hear something, I'm definitely going to listen in and see what happens. I'm trying to figure things out. If I can make things easier for my defensive guys, that's to our advantage."

Manning has had his way with the Texans, throwing 37 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions while winning 15 of 16 career meetings. He's completed 71.5 per cent of his passes and built a passer rating over 100.0 in 12 of the games.

Defensive line coach Bill Kollar says there's no point in trying to fool Manning, because he'll always identify a defence's weak points during his famous pre-snap routine. The key, Kollar said, is committing to the coverage plan on each play and sticking with it, regardless of what Manning is barking out.

"The guy is almost like a computer, he knows exactly what you're doing," Kollar said. "You know, he'll be under centre, or maybe go back to shotgun, or he'll be calling out audibles and doing all that.

"We've just got to be ready to do what we're going to do. You can only take care of yourself, really."

Manning will break in a new offensive co-ordinator Sunday. Clyde Christensen moved up from receivers coach to replace Tom Moore, who became a senior offensive assistant.

Ryans, entering his fifth season, isn't expecting any radical changes. The Colts have ranked among the top four teams in scoring in eight of the past 11 seasons and finished among the top six passing offences in 12 straight years.

The Texans can boast one area of success trying to stop the Colts' offence — they've sacked Manning 10 times in their eight games since 2006, the most by any team in that span. Manning was only sacked 10 times last season, and Houston got four of those.

"It's hard to sack him because he gets rid of the ball so well," said defensive end Mario Williams, who led the Texans with nine sacks last season. "His timing with the receivers and everything is just excellent.

"We all have to have the 'want to' to get after it and get him down."

Manning said the Texans also have learned to limit the Colts' big plays. Manning's longest reception against Houston last season was a 31-yarder to Austin Collie.

"In the games we've had against them, we really had to go with long drives," Manning said. "It's just tough to get big plays down the field. The idea is to try to take a three- or four-yard completion or run, and turn it into a 12-yard run. That's how you have to try to create big plays."

The Texans have, however, given up some big performances.

In 2007, Reggie Wayne caught 10 passes for 143 yards in a 38-15 Indy victory. In 2008, Marvin Harrison caught nine passes, including a touchdown, in the Colts' 33-27 win.

When the teams met in Indianapolis last year, Dallas Clark caught 14 passes, the third-highest single-game total by an NFL tight end. Strongside linebacker Xavier Adibi will cover Clark at times on Sunday. Adibi is replacing 2009 defensive rookie of the year Brian Cushing, who's suspended for the first four games for testing positive for a banned substance.

Adibi said the Texans need to keep their defence simple against Manning and his receivers.

"You've just got to read your keys," Adibi said. "If you start getting too greedy, that's when you get sucked in, trying to do too much.

"We've just got to play within our defence, do our jobs and trust each other."

The Texans have blown 17-point leads in the last two games against the Colts in Houston. Ryans said the defence is confident facing Manning, and now just has to learn to play well against him until the final horn.

"We've had them, we've played them tough," Ryans said. "We just have to go out and finish.

"We've led them. We kind of let a couple of bad plays kind of down our demeanour. If we can just stay focused on what we have to do the entire time, we'll be fine."

Copyright 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved. (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gDEOw2LUn0kccKb5gRIyfe27l_GQ)

drs23
09-10-2010, 06:29 PM
So are finally getting some respect.

Texans WIN! :gotexans1:

alphajoker
09-10-2010, 06:42 PM
From across the border (you should recognize this by the acceptable [not typos] spellings of defence and offence) comes a quite refressing article on the Texans featuring DeMeco. I learned something that I never knew.......that the Texans can be proud of at least one accomplishment........so to speak, they have had Peyton's number greater than any other team [see bolded statement within the article]

Or perhaps the author of this article is actually SIAB :hmmm:

brakos82
09-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Or perhaps the author of this article is actually SIAB :hmmm:

No, some people don't realise that it's a bit of a British flavour.....

gtexan02
09-10-2010, 06:58 PM
After reading this, I think the title may be a little misleading...

I didn't realize peyton's stats were so staggeringly impressive against us.

We may have sacked him the most, but obviously that isn't altering his successfulness against us

alphajoker
09-10-2010, 07:24 PM
No, some people don't realise that it's a bit of a British flavour.....

Yes - understood, it was a joke :)

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2010, 07:26 PM

We may have sacked him the most, but obviously that isn't altering his successfulness against us

With Manning and crew having been perennial winners in the league for so long, I wonder how many other teams faired the same or worse than we have in many of those stats, especially more recently.

Texan_Bill
09-10-2010, 08:05 PM

G, it's not about our D v. their O... Manning and company are going to get their's!! What we need to do is, replicate that Ron Dayne 156 yard performance on the ground. That particular day was the only time we beat the Mannings.

*EDIT*

My bad, Dayne rushed for 153.... Total rushing yards for the Texans were 191.

JB
09-10-2010, 08:11 PM
G, it's not about our D v. their O... Manning and company are going to get their's!! What we need to do is, replicate that Ron Dayne 156 yard performance on the ground. That particular day was the only time we beat the Mannings.

Yep, we need long time consuming drives that end in touchdowns. Limit the damage PM can do.

drs23
09-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Yep, we need long time consuming drives that end in touchdowns. Limit the damage PM can do.

This is the way it will be done. Gary Kubiak knows that, the whole team knows that, we know that. It shall be done and I'm gonna be there to see it! Can't wait!

PapaL
09-10-2010, 09:13 PM
In case anyone on D is wondering...his number is 18.

We should lay that guy on his arse over and over again.

That's the number...18. All revolves around him.

spurstexanstros
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
That is what i was thinking.....

I want someone to put a helmet between those numbers. They may be banned for life from the NFL for touching his holiness, but I want to see him in a very uncomfortable position. I am tired of his act...you know being Peyton and all world at everything.

I am having some doubts...I guess its just nerves on the eve of my trip up there.

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Houston Texans All-Pro middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans likes the challenge of trying to decipher Peyton Manning's frantic calls and signals before every snap.

Ryans knows better than to overanalyze each one when Houston opens its season against Manning and the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. But if he can pick out one important phrase and relay it to Houston's defence in time to ruin a play, he'll feel like he's earned a minor victory against the four-time league MVP.

"You're always trying to find an edge, always trying to find a key on some type of play, anything you can find," Ryans said. "We're going to play our defence. But if I hear something, I'm definitely going to listen in and see what happens. I'm trying to figure things out. If I can make things easier for my defensive guys, that's to our advantage."

D Training film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0F65ap278&feature=related)used this week to prepare for Manning.

JB
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM
D Training film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0F65ap278&feature=related)used this week to prepare for Manning.

Classic!

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
M<mmomg ficlomg sicls/ / maning goes doesn down this wereeking. **** the ****ing horseshoes, they can kissmy ass.

brakos82
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
M<mmomg ficlomg sicls/ / maning goes doesn down this wereeking. **** the ****ing horseshoes, they can kissmy ass.

Other than what's bolded, I have no idea what you said, but I think I agree with you. LOL

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
after looking at my last post, I realisxe I shoudln't even be posting at this time.

LOL. Ifits ****ing hell to be drunk. LOL

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Other than what's bolded, I have no idea what you said, but I think I agree with you. LOL

It's a ****ig hirricane! LOL

JB
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM

He said " Manning ****ing sucks. Manning is going down this weekend. **** the ****ing horseshoes, they can kiss my ass!

FirstTexansFan
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM
It's like watching Blazing Saddles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

"Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age!". Gabby Johnson

brakos82
09-10-2010, 10:14 PM
He said " Manning ****ing sucks. Manning is going down this weekend. **** the ****ing horseshoes, they can kiss my ass!

Then yes, I do agree with him. lol

Texan_Bill
09-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Dude!! Glad to see Thorn back in form!! Kiss his ASS!!! :D

JB
09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
It's like watching Blazing Saddles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

"Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age!". Gabby Johnson

Then yes, I do agree with him. lol

I gots lots of experience speaking drunk...lol

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:24 PM
We be's 1-0 after /sudnay. Manning has q problem and his antics at te line come backto hautn him. Ghosts say, do it or go away. Manning goes away. We kick his silly play line calliong ass.

God, I had watching him. Itls like wathcing a pack of dogs trying to decied to hit your ****ing mailbox. I hate Manning. That boy needs to go do2n.

JB
09-10-2010, 10:28 PM
We be's 1-0 after /sudnay. Manning has q problem and his antics at te line come backto hautn him. Ghosts say, do it or go away. Manning goes away. We kick his silly play line calliong ass.

God, I had watching him. Itls like wathcing a pack of dogs trying to decied to hit your ****ing mailbox. I hate Manning. That boy needs to go do2n.

Damn, Thorn! I hope nobody asks for an interpretation of that one. I understand what you're saying, but thats a long one.

brakos82
09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Damn, Thorn! I hope nobody asks for an interpretation of that one. I understand what you're saying, but thats a long one.

Hey JB, what's he saying now? :kitten:

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Well, it doesn't appear that I'm sobor at this time. What a damnshame. I am so emaabrassed. LOL

Showtime100
09-10-2010, 10:31 PM
....and today of all days I leave my Klingon to English dictionary at work.

JB
09-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Hey JB, what's he saying now? :kitten:

He said " The Texans will be 1-0 after Sunday. Manning has an OL protection problem, and the fake audibles will backfire when Ryans, Pollard & Quinn blast his ass on the blitz. And Mario will eat his lunch. Manning will talk shit, but it is a fail, and he will leave Houston a dejected and beaten miserable punk. He hates watching him, 'cause it's like watching a pack of dogs shittin on each other all over your yard. He hates Manning, and the forehead will be going down!

:tiphat:

JB
09-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, it doesn't appear that I'm sobor at this time. What a damnshame. I am so emaabrassed. LOL

No need Bro! You inspire us young whipppersnapper drunks everywhere!

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:40 PM
JB is a smart man.

C Madd
09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Thorn just became my new favorite poster.

JB
09-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Thorn just became my new favorite poster.

Be careful.

Be very, very careful!

Thorn
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Be careful.

Be very, very careful!

exactly. I am not one to emulate. I hate eveyone. that woutwll start with whoever is playing us this weekend, but keep in mind, I hate everyone.

Well, unleesss you have a beer. In which case I shall forgive you. After all, fortivenesss is coo..l.

JB
09-10-2010, 10:57 PM
exactly. I am not one to emulate. I hate eveyone. that woutwll start with whoever is playing us this weekend, but keep in mind, I hate everyone.

Well, unleesss you have a beer. In which case I shall forgive you. After all, fortivenesss is coo..l.

Yes, but forgiveness only lasts until the beer is empty. Then you hate everyone again.

I agree with that program.

Thorn
09-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes, but forgiveness only lasts until the beer is empty. Then you hate everyone again.

I agree with that program.

I am guided by tje aliens from another p'lnet. They say we should all get along. They say we should all love one another. theis is great until I'm out of money, then I hate everyone. LOL

JB
09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I am guided by tje aliens from another p'lnet. They say we should all get along. They say we should all love one another. theis is great until I'm out of money, then I hate everyone. LOL

Only because you're out of beer....:drunk:

drs23
09-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Thorn! You're in the wrong thread! :drunk:

JB
09-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Thorn! You're in the wrong thread! :drunk:

No, no... you're late.

Texan_Bill
09-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Make the World a better place, Punch a Colt in the face!!!!

:D

Thorn
09-10-2010, 11:28 PM

And there you have it. I am totaly inthe rightplace at the right timn.

JB
09-10-2010, 11:32 PM

And there you have it. I am totaly inthe rightplace at the right timn.

Damn, you guys are my heros

Thorn
09-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Might I add to the discussion that Manning sucks goat dicks and deserves what he has coming to him.

And we ain't helping him with that sheep getting ove the fence.

Andre_Johnson
09-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Might I add to the discussion that Manning sucks goat dicks and deserves what he has coming to him.

And we ain't helping him with that sheep getting ove the fence.

Awesome! That's all

PapaL
09-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Thorn = SIAB?

Hmmm....

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2010, 11:52 AM
With Manning and crew having been perennial winners in the league for so long, I wonder how many other teams faired the same or worse than we have in many of those stats, especially more recently.

I saw a comment by some Cowboy fan on the Chron and the guy said that the Cowboys didn't have any problem with Manning the last time they played, what was OUR problem? So I looked it up and since Manning has been with the Colts, they've played the Cowboys 3 times and the Cowboys are 1-2 against him.

So, just going back to 2002, 13 teams have gotten no wins against the Colts (Cardinals, Rams, Niners, Ravens, Vikings, Browns, Bengals, Lions, Saints, Buccs, Falcons, Raiders, Giants, and Eagles.) The team that's gotten the most chances of that group was the Ravens who are 0-6 against them.

No team has a winning record against them. The best is .500, which is the Chargers (2-2), Seahawks (1-1), Bears (1-1), Packers (1-1), Panthers (1-1), Chiefs (1-1), Redskins (1-1) and Cowboys (1-1). The teams with the most wins are of course the Jaguars (4-12) and the Titans (4-12).

In the Kubiak era, the Jags are 2-6 and the Titans are 3-5. The Cowboys, Packers, and Bears are 1-0 and obviously, the only teams with winning records. 21 teams have 0 victories.

brakos82
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Thorn = SIAB?

Hmmm....

No, Thorn = :drunk:.

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I saw a comment by some Cowboy fan on the Chron and the guy said that the Cowboys didn't have any problem with Manning the last time they played, what was OUR problem? So I looked it up and since Manning has been with the Colts, they've played the Cowboys 3 times and the Cowboys are 1-2 against him.

So, just going back to 2002, 13 teams have gotten no wins against the Colts (Cardinals, Rams, Niners, Ravens, Vikings, Browns, Bengals, Lions, Saints, Buccs, Falcons, Raiders, Giants, and Eagles.) The team that's gotten the most chances of that group was the Ravens who are 0-6 against them.

No team has a winning record against them. The best is .500, which is the Chargers (2-2), Seahawks (1-1), Bears (1-1), Packers (1-1), Panthers (1-1), Chiefs (1-1), Redskins (1-1) and Cowboys (1-1). The teams with the most wins are of course the Jaguars (4-12) and the Titans (4-12).

In the Kubiak era, the Jags are 2-6 and the Titans are 3-5. The Cowboys, Packers, and Bears are 1-0 and obviously, the only teams with winning records. 21 teams have 0 victories.

Thank you for validating what my impressions were already.

Must spread the rep.

b0ng
09-11-2010, 02:13 PM
So out of the 8 years we've played in the AFCS the other two teams have only 2 more wins a piece against the Colts than we do.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2010, 02:29 PM
So out of the 8 years we've played in the AFCS the other two teams have only 2 more wins a piece against the Colts than we do.

3 more. We're 1-15 and they're 4-12.

Texas T
09-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Almost makes me feel not so bad about all our losses to them...then again, no it doesn't.
This trend will stop tomorrow!!

:fans:

ObsiWan
09-11-2010, 05:45 PM
3 more. We're 1-15 and they're 4-12.

How about we start evening the score this year by sweeping the Colts...?? We should have split with them last year.
:wild:

brakos82
09-11-2010, 05:50 PM
How about we start evening the score this year by sweeping the Colts...?? We should have split with them last year.

And the year before... :slapfight:

BorrowMe
09-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Wait we got Peyton's number? How come the Texans don't call him to say hi? Maybe that's why he's always torching us with 300+ yards per game. Lol.

Rey
09-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not impressed with the sack #'s against Manning...

Not only has he still been successful, but we are 1 of 3 teams that play Manning twice a year...

So basically we have gotten better pressure than the Tacks and the putty cats...Not impressed...

Show me something tomorrow.

thunderkyss
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM

So, imagine being a brand new team, with a piss-poor excuse for an expansion draft, and the worst GM of our time. Then Kubiak comes in, and basically plays this team twice a year with a team of college players (basically). IMHO that says a lot in favor of Kubiak. 8-2 outside the division last year, 6-4 in 2008, 7-3 in 2007.

We're playing the best team in the league twice a year, and two teams built to beat that team 4 times a year.

I understand what division games mean, I know how important they are. I'm just saying, with Kubes we've been better than competitive outside this division, and that's got to count for something.

with a team of 2 & 3 year players. Wow.

thunderkyss
09-11-2010, 08:48 PM

We should have swept them last year. The Jags & the Titans were actually more competitive last year.

thunderkyss
09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not impressed with the sack #'s against Manning...

To me, this is like a hidden stat. We show no mercy to our DL, talking about Amobi being a bust, and Antonio being overpaid and whatnot.

But the toughest guy to sack in the league (10 sacks) and we got 40% of them... I'm not saying you, or the people who call Amobi a bust, or anyone in particular, but maybe... just maybe we are looking at something wrong.

unabated
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Hooray for the 1 win we've had against the Colts (16 times we've played the Colts). "... the Colts, who have won 15 of the 16 meetings and the last six in a row. The Texans have had their chances, though, blowing 17-point leads in the last two games in Houston and giving up second-half leads in the last four meetings overall." BTW, the game that we won, they pulled number 18 out of the game towards the end (to preserve him for the playoffs). Yes the game will be decided for sure by putting Peyton on his ass and like the other poster said the Texans will have to play and score as well and better than the Colts for this one to end well. I can't wait! It's either gonna be a good game and a good year or a bad game and a really long year. IMO this game will set the tone for the rest of the season.

beerlover
09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
when I first saw this thead I immediately thought about crowd noise to disrupt his ability to audible, but then if DeMeco can hear him so can his team? dude's also got pipes to along with that gun for an arm. you know if you keep playing #9 it quickly turns into #18 :rake:

thunderkyss
09-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Hooray for the 1 win we've had against the Colts (16 times we've played the Colts). "... the Colts, who have won 15 of the 16 meetings and the last six in a row. The Texans have had their chances, though, blowing 17-point leads in the last two games in Houston and giving up second-half leads in the last four meetings overall." BTW, the game that we won, they pulled number 18 out of the game towards the end (to preserve him for the playoffs). Yes the game will be decided for sure by putting Peyton on his ass and like the other poster said the Texans will have to play and score as well and better than the Colts for this one to end well. I can't wait! It's either gonna be a good game and a good year or a bad game and a really long year. IMO this game will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Sorry, they didn't pull Manning from that game (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006122404/2006/REG16/colts@texans#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay).

Peyton threw a 7 yard TD pass to Harrison with 2:46 left in the game. We took the ball, never gave it back and kicked a field goal with 0:00 left on the clock.

Stop Hate'n

thunderkyss
09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh-ohoooo-we that was a good game. An excellent game.

Scooter
09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
"We've got Peyton's Number"

yup, it's 90.

oh wait, that's mario ... i think peyton's under there somewhere.

Wolf
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/6d/fullj.654f0a6cca4643a014601a4d5c348afa/654f0a6cca4643a014601a4d5c348afa-getty-98604409rm050_indianapolis_.jpg

Wolf
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/be/fullj.bcee5eb5aaecc218addb4802187928f3/bcee5eb5aaecc218addb4802187928f3-getty-98604409rm049_indianapolis_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d1/fullj.d699e7df6f4f4c5a1b9236733b56d07d/d699e7df6f4f4c5a1b9236733b56d07d-getty-98604409rm048_indianapolis_.jpg

Texas T
09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/be/fullj.bcee5eb5aaecc218addb4802187928f3/bcee5eb5aaecc218addb4802187928f3-getty-98604409rm049_indianapolis_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d1/fullj.d699e7df6f4f4c5a1b9236733b56d07d/d699e7df6f4f4c5a1b9236733b56d07d-getty-98604409rm048_indianapolis_.jpg

I almost feel sad for him...okay not really!
Great pics thanks!

Showtime100
09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Nice, Wolf. This was one of my favorites so far. Clearly taken after they called a TO too late because this guy couldn't hear the Head but the ref's gave it to them anyway.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Houston%20Texans/ButSir.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-13-2010, 12:12 AM

*EDIT*

My bad, Dayne rushed for 153.... Total rushing yards for the Texans were 191.

:whistle:

thunderkyss
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm just glad we beat them, while they're still "The Colts"

Means a lot more to me.

spurstexanstros
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
That is what i was thinking.....

I want someone to put a helmet between those numbers. They may be banned for life from the NFL for touching his holiness, but I want to see him in a very uncomfortable position. I am tired of his act...you know being Peyton and all world at everything.

I am having some doubts...I guess its just nerves on the eve of my trip up there.

Bingo...mission accomplished. Does anyone have a pic of Peyton getting sandwiched in first quarter...excactly what I was talking about.

I rolled into blue crew with those doubts but Texan Bill knocked them out of me and got me cured of the cold feet. The Blue crew will cure ya thats for sure.