PDA

View Full Version : Jackson or Quin?

DerekLee1
09-09-2010, 08:29 AM
All through camp and preseason, the Texans have been lining up Kareem Jackson against the #1 receiver. Will he stay on the #1 receiver in the regular season, or will the more experienced Glover Quin take on the #1 while Jackson moves to the #2?

hobie
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Only way to get him ready for the big time is to make him ready for it...Keep him at the #1.. It's a learning process.

DerekLee1
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Only way to get him ready for the big time is to make him ready for it...Keep him at the #1.. It's a learning process.

Do you want him "learning" against Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and Roy Williams, though? In games that matter? I'd think it smarter to put Quin there and move Jackson back over if he proves to be better than Quin during the regular season.

badboy
09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Jackson remains @ #1 CB & will grade out as better than Quin as a CB. Duane Brown was the LT from day 1 despite given up some QB sacks.

hobie
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Do you want him "learning" against Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and Roy Williams, though? In games that matter? I'd think it smarter to put Quin there and move Jackson back over if he proves to be better than Quin during the regular season.

I hear you, but in order to know if you are good enough to do it, you need to show you can do it.. Shutting down a #2 doesn't prove anything. So I say keep him at the #1. He doesn't have to shut them down, just make them earn their catches. But I would rather he struggle and learn then stay on a #2 and hold court then move him over and find out later that he cannot do it...Out of the fying pan into the fire I say...He also has help over the top with some good hitters... so that also makes it a little easier.

scourge
09-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Against Roy Williams? Yes, please.

Even that aside, I say keep him at #1. For a cb, to me, you gotta throw him into fire. Covering #2's may help him build confidence early on, but I think they need to take on the best if they want to be the best. Will there be growing pains? Yes, and we'll probably see that this Sunday. I don't think Bush will leave him over there constantly without help from a safety, though.

scourge
09-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I hear you, but in order to know if you are good enough to do it, you need to show you can do it.. Shutting down a #2 doesn't prove anything. So I say keep him at the #1. He doesn't have to shut them down, just make them earn their catches. But I would rather he struggle and learn then stay on a #2 and hold court then move him over and find out later that he cannot do it...Out of the fying pan into the fire I say...He also has help over the top with some good hitters... so that also makes it a little easier.

looks like we just said the same thing, more or less. heh

badboy
09-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Against Roy Williams? Yes, please.

Even that aside, I say keep him at #1. For a cb, to me, you gotta throw him into fire. Covering #2's may help him build confidence early on, but I think they need to take on the best if they want to be the best. Will there be growing pains? Yes, and we'll probably see that this Sunday. I don't think Bush will leave him over there constantly without help from a safety, though.
I expect Pollard, Wilson and Ryan to be constantly giving the rook advice.

Texas T
09-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I think they should play sides, at least to start.
That way they'll both be covering whomever comes at them.
This would allow KJ to get some experience against both #1's and lower.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread say this...just my two cents.
:texflag:

nero THE zero
09-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I thought our CB's played sides of the field rather than sticking with certain receivers. I also thought that Quin moved inside in 3+ WR formations, which is almost exclusively what the Colts run.

DerekLee1
09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
So I guess my question then is whether Jackson was drafted to be the #1 or #2 CB. Quin has proven he is a capable - although not elite - #1. Is Jackson, especially as a rookie, better than GQ?

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I thought our CB's played sides of the field rather than sticking with certain receivers. I also thought that Quin moved inside in 3+ WR formations, which is almost exclusively what the Colts run.

They do. We don't have a #1 or #2 CB. Not to me anyways

b0ng
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Santana Moss and Roy Williams? Yes, I'll take those match-ups. Wayne? Not as excited about that match-up but I'll still take it over what's on our roster right now.

scourge
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM

They changed it. Our #1 will shadow theirs. It won't be all of the time, but we have moved in that direction. It has been posted on the board a few times, not sure which threads.

disaacks3
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
So I guess my question then is whether Jackson was drafted to be the #1 or #2 CB. Quin has proven he is a capable - although not elite - #1. Is Jackson, especially as a rookie, better than GQ? In pure coverage? He's looked as good or better than Quin. For staying with the entire play, I give the edge (for now) to Quin.

Rey
09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Honestly, I don't really care...

I don't think it too much matters one way or the other...Neither one are going to give us a significant advantage over Manning and his passing attack...THey have a lot of good receivers...

Garcon will be on the other side, and at this stage he is probably not too far behind Wayne as far as being a potent receiving target.

Our defense has to be good as a whole if we are going to beat Manning and the Colts.

Goatcheese
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM

That was Dick Smith's defense. Bush had Robinson follow the #1 a good portion of last year. Whether he trusts Jackson to do that or not isn't clear yet.

So I guess my question then is whether Jackson was drafted to be the #1 or #2 CB. Quin has proven he is a capable - although not elite - #1. Is Jackson, especially as a rookie, better than GQ?

When did that happen?

Quin was at best an average #2 and played against slot receivers or in short zones a lot of the time. He's going to get Petey'd if they ask him to be a #1.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 10:26 AM
They changed it. Our #1 will shadow theirs. It won't be all of the time, but we have moved in that direction. It has been posted on the board a few times, not sure which threads.

There has been nothing to reflect that to this point.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM

They did in Dick Smith's defense. But last year in Bush's defense, we started playing #1/#2.

So far this season, it's looked like GQ and KJ may have been playing sides except that they changed up a few times and switched sides. So it looks to me like it's a situational thing and may even be a #1/#2 thing.

In nickel situations, Brice McCain comes in as the #2 CB and GQ moves onto the slot receiver because he's bigger and more physical than McCain. They're bringing GQ on blitzes from that position now.

nero THE zero
09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I guess it was my assumption that Dunta played to the #1 receiver because of circumstance rather than philosophy last season.

I guess we'll see how/if that changes here in the first few weeks.

badboy
09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
That was Dick Smith's defense. Bush had Robinson follow the #1 a good portion of last year. Whether he trusts Jackson to do that or not isn't clear yet.

When did that happen?

Quin was at best an average #2 and played against slot receivers or in short zones a lot of the time. He's going to get Petey'd if they ask him to be a #1.I think Texans disagree with you.http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6330

Rey
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I dunno why, but I had a dream that Jamar Wall was going to be a beast.

badboy
09-09-2010, 11:15 AM
They do. We don't have a #1 or #2 CB. Not to me anywaysKJ defends against Andre J daily as I understand regardless of side AJ lines up on. Jackson should go against #1 WR during regular season..

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I guess it was my assumption that Dunta played to the #1 receiver because of circumstance rather than philosophy last season.

I guess we'll see how/if that changes here in the first few weeks.

If your philosophy is to play sides, then you play sides pretty much regardless of the circumstances. If the guy on one side is teh suck, you're forced to slide the rest of the coverage over to that side to pick up the slack.

But I considered DR going against the #1 last year as a change of philosophy with a new defensive coordinator.

badboy
09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Good info on defense from Bush and some players dated August 10th.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6330

silvrhand
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
If your philosophy is to play sides, then you play sides pretty much regardless of the circumstances. If the guy on one side is teh suck, you're forced to slide the rest of the coverage over to that side to pick up the slack.

But I considered DR going against the #1 last year as a change of philosophy with a new defensive coordinator.

Playing fixed sides of the fields allows offenses to dictate the matchups that they want, if matchups aren't working then you can simply switch the matchups till you get what you want.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Playing fixed sides of the fields allows offenses to dictate the matchups that they want, if matchups aren't working then you can simply switch the matchups till you get what you want.

I know.

I'm not a big fan of playing sides. As a defense, I want to dictate the matchups not allow the offense to pick and choose.

TexansForTheW
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Easy, put your most physical corner(Glove) on Reggie Wayne and jam his butt in to the backfield. The Colt's offensive line is banged up, our defensive line has looked much improved from last season and it leads me to believe Peyton will have to get rid of the ball quick. Obviously jamming the receiver will allow our defense to throw off the timing of Peyton, giving our secondary the ability to make plays. The line should be able to put on enough heat to get to Peyton a few times. The quicker corner should cover Garcon(Kareem Jackson). Garcon seems to be able to get open down the field more than Wayne who gets most of his catches off timing and slant routes.

I never wish injury on any players but I would not mind giving a few cracks at rushing Bernard Pollard in to the backfield.

Xavier Adibi on Dallas Clark is your matchup. Adibi runs a 4.48 40 at the linebacker position. That my friends is FAST. Faster than Glover Quinn.

Texecutioner
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I think Wayne is going to probably destroy Jackson. I hate to say it, but going up against one of the NFL's best WR's over the entire decade in his first NFL game is a nightmare for any young CB no matter how good or promising he is.

I'd rather see Quinn on Wayne honestly, because he's more physical and might have a better shot at jamming Wayne up at the line of scrimmage. Just my thoughts here.

JB
09-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I think Wayne is going to probably destroy Jackson. I hate to say it, but going up against one of the NFL's best WR's over the entire decade in his first NFL game is a nightmare for any young CB no matter how good or promising he is.

I'd rather see Quinn on Wayne honestly, because he's more physical and might have a better shot at jamming Wayne up at the line of scrimmage. Just my thoughts here.

In the Saints and the Cowgurls game, Jackson was doing a very good job jamming at the line...imo

playa465
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Quin was at best an average #2 and played against slot receivers or in short zones a lot of the time. He's going to get Petey'd if they ask him to be a #1.

:spit:

hradhak
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Quin has got the experience, and iirc he was only 1 of 2 corners in the league who didn't allow a touchdown on his side of the field. I think Jackson's gonna get a lot of edumacation just by playing the Colts regardless of who he covers.

TexansForTheW
09-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I didn't realize Glover Quinn runs a 4.5 40. That's actually slow for cornerback standards.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2010, 11:23 PM
I didn't realize Glover Quinn runs a 4.5 40. That's actually slow for cornerback standards.

Yeah. The knock on him has always been his speed, he makes up for it with technique and smarts. If we could combine him with Brice McCain, we'd have a perfect corner.