PDA

View Full Version : Colts LT and Backup LT Not Playing?

LORK 88
09-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Per Rotoworld: (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3992)
The Indianapolis Star expects LT Charlie Johnson (foot) and LG Tony Ugoh (toe) to both sit out Week 1 against Houston.
Undrafted rookie Jeff Linkenbach would be forced into action on Peyton Manning's blind side. Manning is a must-start every week, but the Colts' front five threatens to be problematic all season. Linkenbach couldn't beat out Kyle DeVan or Jamey Richard to start at guard. Now, he's playing left tackle.
Mario and Barwin need to be licking their chops at this golden opportunity. An undrafted OT going against a pro bowl DE?

b0ng
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
*record scratch*

Rey
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
That's good...Even though Mario has had some luck with Charlie Johnson as well...

Texas T
09-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Per Rotoworld: (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3992)

Mario and Barwin need to be licking their chops at this golden opportunity. An undrafted OT going against a pro bowl DE?

Next we'll hear that The Forehead is not getting on the plane because he has finally realized that he's gonna get the piss knocked out of him!!

El Tejano
09-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Mario SUCKS MARIO SUCK MARIO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Tailgate
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
It definitely wont be Ugoh, he was cut today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5548009

And it looks as though Saturday will play, but Charlie Johnson is still iffy:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=injuryreport

Did Not Participate
LB Cody Glenn (Hamstring)
CB Jacob Lacey (Head)
OT Tony Ugoh (Foot)

Limited Participation
OT Charlie Johnson (Foot)

Full Participation
C Jeff Saturday (Knee)

TEXANS84
09-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh god, please let an undrafted Linkenbach protect Peyton on opening day.
Dude will not be able to contain a power rush.

PockyAF
09-08-2010, 06:30 PM
http://www.dailyteeoff.com/images/golf.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Texans [today]

Did Not Participate in Practice
CB Antwaun Molden (ankle)

Limited Participation in Practice
T Duane Brown (hamstring)
TE Owen Daniels (knee)
DE Mario Williams (groin)

Full Participation in Practice
CB Kareem Jackson (eye)
RB Steve Slaton (toe)

Notes: Slaton, who suffered a toe strain in the third preseason game against Dallas, is expected to play on Sunday. Daniels said after practice that his surgically repaired knee feels "really, really good." Molden is being nursed back to full health; he didn't play in the preseason finale.

Old School
09-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Hopefully this won't be one of those times where we make a rookie look like an all-pro.

Double Barrel
09-08-2010, 06:55 PM

But...but...I thought Texans fans wanted to beat Manning when the Colts are fully staffed and at their best??? ;)

This news is music to my ears, though. Exploit that weakness!!

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Texans [today]

Did Not Participate in Practice
CB Antwaun Molden (ankle)

Limited Participation in Practice
T Duane Brown (hamstring)
TE Owen Daniels (knee)
DE Mario Williams (groin)

Full Participation in Practice
CB Kareem Jackson (eye)
RB Steve Slaton (toe)

Notes: Slaton, who suffered a toe strain in the third preseason game against Dallas, is expected to play on Sunday. Daniels said after practice that his surgically repaired knee feels "really, really good." Molden is being nursed back to full health; he didn't play in the preseason finale.

Was this pulled from the HT site? I do not recall seeing an in-week update like this before for any team. As I type this, I recall "reporting of injury updates" being an issue the last couple of years, but do not recall there being any consensus on offering a new policy.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
[QUOTE]The Indianapolis Star expects LT Charlie Johnson (foot) and LG Tony Ugoh (toe) to both sit out Week 1 against Houston.
Undrafted rookie Jeff Linkenbach would be forced into action on Peyton Manning's blind side. Manning is a must-start every week, but the Colts' front five threatens to be problematic all season. Linkenbach couldn't beat out Kyle DeVan or Jamey Richard to start at guard. Now, he's playing left tackle.

This how Rotoworld TRANLATED the IndyStar...........You could interpret the original somewhat differentlly. Decide for yourselves.

IndyStar: (http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2010/09/colts_lunch_gonzo_as_pr_saturd.html)

Lastly, for lunch anyway since it's about time to get back to work and we're eating late, center Jeff Saturday said, "I sure hope so, man," when asked if he would play Sunday. He intended to practice. LT Charlie Johnson also planned to work out, but didn't sound as sure about his ability to play Sunday. This suggests he probably won't. It also doesn't sound like T-G Tony Ugoh was going to practice, either, which means he probably won't play, either.

So, while it's early yet, go back to work thinking about undrafted rookie OT Jeff Linkenbach being entrusted with keeping "Super" Mario Williams from hitting Peyton Manning on those blind-side rushes.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Was this pulled from the HT site? I do not recall seeing an in-week update like this before for any team. As I type this, I recall "reporting of injury updates" being an issue the last couple of years, but do not recall there being any consensus on offering a new policy.

Yes just posted by Scurfield.

Lucky
09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen, your AFC Defensive Player of the Week:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=78

hookinreds
09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
It definitely wont be Ugoh, he was cut today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5548009

And it looks as though Saturday will play, but Charlie Johnson is still iffy:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=injuryreport

Wow...2007 2nd rounder. If I'm not mistaken Ugoh was projected to go in the first. That has to sting for the Colts a little.

Lucky
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Wow...2007 2nd rounder. If I'm not mistaken Ugoh was projected to go in the first. That has to sting for the Colts a little.
The Colts spent their 2008 1st round pick to acquire Ugoh. A big whiff.

Of course, the Texans drafted Okoye with the 10th pick of that draft. Hopefully, we won't see the Texans having to admit to a similar failure.

disaacks3
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
But...but...I thought Texans fans wanted to beat Manning when the Colts are fully staffed and at their best??? ;)

This news is music to my ears, though. Exploit that weakness!! I'd love to meet them at full strength in the rematch....we'll have Cushing back!

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 07:58 PM
The key to Texans-Colts (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/08/the-key-to-texans-colts-may-be-jeff-linkenbach/) may be Jeff Linkenbach
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 8, 2010 5:33 PM ET

While Tom Brady's contract situation has dominated the headlines of late, Peyton Manning is also readying to begin his contract year without a new deal.

And it appears Manning is going to start the season with what could be the shakiest looking protection of his career.

As Florio mentioned earlier, Colts left tackle Charlie Johnson was limited in practice Wednesday. He hasn't fully practiced in a month. Johnson wasn't sure about his ability to play Sunday. The next guy in line, Tony Ugoh, was out of practice completely. He's been out over two weeks.

Phillip B. Wilson of the Indianapolis Star points out that undrafted rookie tackle Jeff Linkenbach is next in line to play left tackle.

Look, we know Johnson and Ugoh aren't that great to begin with. Peyton Manning essentially protects himself by knowing where the defense is coming from and getting rid of the ball quickly.

The Colts are pushing the limits of this replaceable parts theory, though. They may be trusting their franchise, and Manning may be trusting his next deal, on Jeff Linkenbach matching up with Mario Williams.

If ever there was a time for the Texans to get over the hump and beat the Colts, this has to be it.

UPDATE: Ugoh was waived/injured. Didn't see that coming.

Norg
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
MARIO U SUCK SUCK SUCK SUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK i HOPe U READ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :texflag:.......:popcorn:

Hervoyel
09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Get excited about this at your own risk. I for one refuse to ever assume that just because a backup is playing our guy will have an epic day. Every year we hear about how beat up the Colts are and every year they find a way to make a journeyman or UDFA rookie look all-world.

They overstate their injuries and teams looking for a chance against "The Peyton" fall for it.

The Texans need to work their asses off to beat the Colts this week and then they need to do it again later in the season in Indy and with a full compliment of Colts in attendance.

will742
09-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen, your AFC Defensive Player of the Week:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=78

I wish I could rep this picture 100 times. Please, please let it come true.

NitroGSXR
09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
You guys are funny. Manning's still playing! I remember frothing at the idea that we were going to piecemeal Ugoh when he was a rookie himself. We got butchered. Again.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Get excited about this at your own risk. I for one refuse to ever assume that just because a backup is playing our guy will have an epic day. Every year we hear about how beat up the Colts are and every year they find a way to make a journeyman or UDFA rookie look all-world.

They overstate their injuries and teams looking for a chance against "The Peyton" fall for it.

The Texans need to work their asses off to beat the Colts this week and then they need to do it again later in the season in Indy and with a full compliment of Colts in attendance.

I tend to agree with Herv here. I'll admit that I got a little giddy when I first read the OP, but after thinking about it I think Herv is on point!

RTP2110
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Gotta love this PFT comment,

"They'll change the rules so you can't rush the QB from that side. "

TimeKiller
09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Gonna take more than that to beat Peyton. Sure helps to have 90 against a scrub but they'll be keeping extra protection in all over the place when they're not running screen after screen.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Looking at the Colts MBs, it appears that their main concerns are the following:

First and foremost..........their LINES. They have the same concern as we've hear about our lines...............relatively small with difficulty at POA. This has led to an inconsistent short yardage running. And a markedly better passing game. On the other side, the DL weakness is protecting against the run, with more of their strength in the pass rush. Finally, they will be closing their eyes half the time while watching their secondary try to defend our strong passing weapons.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Gotta love this PFT comment,

"They'll change the rules so you can't rush the QB from that side. "

Just like they changed the preseason Umpire position rules. In case anyone missed it, the umpire position rules were MODIFIED AGAIN just last week after Manning's complaints! It's worth reading about these latest changes so that you are not left scratching your heads asking "WTF?" this Sunday when they are applied.

LINK: MODIFIED UMPIRE RULE CHANGES. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1514594&postcount=25)

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Looking at the Colts MBs, it appears that their main concerns are the following:

First and foremost..........their LINES. They have the same concern as we've hear about our lines...............relatively small with difficulty at POA. This has led to an inconsistent short yardage running. And a markedly better passing game. On the other side, the DL weakness is protecting against the run, with more of their strength in the pass rush. Finally, they will be closing their eyes half the time while watching their secondary try to defend our strong passing weapons.

I just visited Coltfreaks.com, and this is a little off topic.... Anywho, in a thread called Who makes the Playoffs this year? Many Colts fans have the Texans making them... I know it's somewhat irrelevant until we actually do it, but it was interesting that so many Colts fans had us getting there. It seems like they have a little more respect for a team that they are 15-1 than would be expected....

Okay.... Back to topic... :D

Pantherstang84
09-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Just like they changed the preseason Umpire position rules. In case anyone missed it, the umpire position rules were MODIFIED AGAIN just last week after Manning's complaints! It's worth reading about these latest changes so that you are not left scratching your heads asking "WTF?" this Sunday when they are applied.

LINK: MODIFIED UMPIRE RULE CHANGES. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1514594&postcount=25)

Called it.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1513494&postcount=21

Giant Tiger
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM

So true; it just bugs me the Texans have to work so much harder to beat them while the Colts just have to show up :pissed:

Vinnie
09-09-2010, 11:34 AM

You have got to be effing kidding me. Why don't they just let the cry baby ref his own games.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree with Herv too. Manning will adjust to whatever adversities he's dealt. We just need to play our game.

BigBull17
09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
You have got to be effing kidding me. Why don't they just let the cry baby ref his own games.

Yeah, its pathetic. Way to bend over and spell R-U-N. Such chicken shit from the NFL. Just ask the guy what rules he likes or dislikes and go from there.

Section516
09-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah, its pathetic. Way to bend over and spell R-U-N. Such chicken shit from the NFL. Just ask the guy what rules he likes or dislikes and go from there.

Ugoh cut.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a5d7d3/article/colts-cut-former-starting-lt-ugoh-add-exdolphin-reitz?module=HP_headlines2col

beerlover
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Ugoh cut.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a5d7d3/article/colts-cut-former-starting-lt-ugoh-add-exdolphin-reitz?module=HP_headlines2col

I hope the Texans check him out.... from H town, very athletic if health not a major concern going forward would fit in nicely here.

TexansForTheW
09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
The Texans need to watch out for SCREENS. With that beat up line, the Colts wont expect much time in the pocket. The defense needs to be agressive and under control. Stopping the run should be the number one priority. I think our defensive line will be vastly improved compared to last year. I think a big thing to watch is our Corners. I feel a smart move would be jamming the receivers at the line, letting our dline work and let the backers drop back in to coverage. Peyton will not have much time to throw the ball tomorow if I had to guess and our corners will have the oppurtunity to make some plays on the football.

gtexan02
09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I bet we see a Colts screen on the left side go for 20+ yards.

I feel like whenver our DL presses for sacks, we get blown up with screens and draws

El Tejano
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
The Texans need to watch out for SCREENS. With that beat up line, the Colts wont expect much time in the pocket. The defense needs to be agressive and under control. Stopping the run should be the number one priority. I think our defensive line will be vastly improved compared to last year. I think a big thing to watch is our Corners. I feel a smart move would be jamming the receivers at the line, letting our dline work and let the backers drop back in to coverage. Peyton will not have much time to throw the ball tomorow if I had to guess and our corners will have the oppurtunity to make some plays on the football.

Great prediction. I agree. Preseason showed us getting burned for screens alot.

hradhak
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
On the other side of the ball the Colts are fairly healthy and have Bob Sanders back. I think this is going to be a different and better Colts defense, I'd be way more worried about it.

Norg
09-10-2010, 12:19 AM
God i hope mario has a big game i wanna see him go into BEAST MODE !!!!!!!!!!

like straight toss there RT away and be on manning before he even gets the snap

Jeff S.
09-10-2010, 12:24 AM
On the other side of the ball the Colts are fairly healthy and have Bob Sanders back. I think this is going to be a different and better Colts defense, I'd be way more worried about it.

Sanders is a great player, no doubt, but if Dennison's new wrinkles and Foster's ability allow the running game to work, the Texans' offense should be able to handle all comers. Err...except maybe the Saints.

C Madd
09-10-2010, 12:46 AM

Same here. I'm hoping they have to hide their kids and hide their wives because he's climbin' in their windows and snatching their people up.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2010, 10:18 AM

He might be a little offsides if he did that. Unless he's in shotgun, I guess

Coach Kevin
09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Same here. I'm hoping they have to hide their kids and hide their wives because he's climbin' in their windows and snatching their people up.

I like this