PDA

View Full Version : Will center Chris Myers

badboy
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
get a fair shake from fans or will he be doomed from the start? Many have their minds already made up, yet no one has beat him out since he was brought in for a 6th round pick. Does Gary know what he is doing by leaving this guy in charge of offensive line play calling? I think he will be better if the OGs remain healthy.

Ole Miss Texan
09-08-2010, 04:33 PM
get a fair shake from fans or will he be doomed from the start? Many have their minds already made up, yet no one has beat him out since he was brought in for a 6th round pick. Does Gary know what he is doing by leaving this guy in charge of offensive line play calling? I think he will be better if the OGs remain healthy.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I'm not near down on Myers as a lot of people on this board. If we can stay healthy on the OL, I think we'll do really well and we won't be hearing much of Myers' name.

Cush
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Was he playing hurt last year? I heard that recently, but figured the folks here would know the real deal... I will give the guy a chance. Maybe a little less 'zone blocking' this year will lead to an improved performance from Mr. Myers and make this line as good at run blocking as it is at pass blocking. I know that I have liked what I've seen up front on both sides of the ball this year so far, but pre-season is over.

Its time to get pissed off and down to business.
:pissed:

b0ng
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, so far I haven't seen anything from Meyers that made me think somebody could replace him right now so yah. We'll see how he does against Haynesworth (if he's still in D.C. week 2) and then Ratliff. I'm more worried about Duane Brown giving up a lot of sacks/pressures to Freeney, than Chris Meyers screwing it up.

rmartin65
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with what you have to say, badboy. That said, I still think OC could be a target in next years draft.

Rey
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree with what you have to say, badboy. That said, I still think OC could be a target in next years draft.

I think any position that doesn't have a pro-bowl/pro-bowl caliber player could be a target in next years draft...

If there is a really good center sitting on the board when we have a pick, I would not be upset with that pick at all.

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Was he playing hurt last year?

Yes. That's what we heard. Can't remember exactly but I think it was an ankle sprain and maybe something else that bothered him all year.

infantrycak
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes. That's what we heard. Can't remember exactly but I think it was an ankle sprain and maybe something else that bothered him all year.

Nagging high ankle sprain.

I guess that is like having a 2nd wife. j/k

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Was he playing hurt last year? I heard that recently, but figured the folks here would know the real deal... I will give the guy a chance. Maybe a little less 'zone blocking' this year will lead to an improved performance from Mr. Myers and make this line as good at run blocking as it is at pass blocking. I know that I have liked what I've seen up front on both sides of the ball this year so far, but pre-season is over.

Its time to get pissed off and down to business.
:pissed:

Edit: It was during a TC game.

Didn't he get carted off during a preseason game for that injury?

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I am torn between my lack of faith being in Myers or the system. There seems to be little doubt that Myers is a more than serviceable NFL Center given his time in and the apparent confidence that this coaching staff and player personnel has in him.

This fan's concern is playing against 3-4 defenses, and our C dealing with their NT. I probably should go back in look how we have performed against 3-4s, but I would bet we fare much better offensively against 4-3s (admittedly it may be more the rule through the NFL, than our exception).

We have a number of 3-4 defenses to face this year, and that Cowboys game, in my mind, will give us a view into the impact Dennison has had on the offensive line - Red Zone efficiency not withstanding. In my mind the offensive line success metric is not a number, but a mastery of "our offense" against a 3-4 defense, while something is on the line (unlike the Patriots game last year).

TheRealJoker
09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
He is an adequate starting center. Smart football player and can get moving in space to be a lead blocker for sweeps or screens. However, he doesn't hold up well at the POA, which is a weakness further magnified against monster 3-4 NTs. With better guards will he look like Nick Mangold? No, but his weaknesses will be minimized until we can find a better player to take his spot.

Norg
09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
myers is going agansit

Fat albert

Fat jenkins

prob freaking Natawa

who ever dallas gots which im sure is Fat

yaaa myers is so doomed ..

JB
09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
myers is going agansit

Fat albert

Fat jenkins

prob freaking Natawa

Dude! You need to go home and start over!

TimeKiller
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
His value is obviously how he handles the offense as the C. The mental stuff. It doesn't take a genius to see he's too small to handle the big guys and doesn't exactly dominate the non gigantors.

JB
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
His value is obviously how he handles the offense as the C. The mental stuff. It doesn't take a genius to see he's too small to handle the big guys and doesn't exactly dominate the non gigantors.

Correct! His value is in his mental knowledge of the game, and his athleticism in getting to the next level. He can do his job, as long as everyone else does their job and don't worry about him.

We Will Dominate!!!

:fans:

edo783
09-08-2010, 09:08 PM

OK, admit it, you threw that J/K part in because Red might read the board.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Whatever! It comes down to this: "What have you done for me lately?"

If the Texans run the ball well (as I am not worried about our passing game against any team), no one will hardly notice Myers.

TimeKiller
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Correct! His value is in his mental knowledge of the game, and his athleticism in getting to the next level. He can do his job, as long as everyone else does their job and don't worry about him.

We Will Dominate!!!

:fans:

Here's to perfect football. My last post wasn't exactly praise and as far as athleticism in pro football, big whoop. He still has to go for LBers knees because he can't take anyone by the shoulder pads and move them backward.

Wolf6151
09-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I like Chris Myers he's smart, calls good blocking assignments, fast, and athletic to get to the second level but if you can't handle the first level blocking assignment, the DT/NT, then it doesn't matter how fast you get to the second level cause you've either been pushed into the backfield or laying on the ground. Also he hasn't taken on the initiative to put on some muscle mass in the last few years when it's pretty obvious that bulk and strength are his weakness.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I like Chris Myers he's smart, calls good blocking assignments, fast, and athletic to get to the second level but if you can't handle the first level blocking assignment, the DT/NT, then it doesn't matter how fast you get to the second level cause you've either been pushed into the backfield or laying on the ground. Also he hasn't taken on the initiative to put on some muscle mass in the last few years when it's pretty obvious that bulk and strength are his weakness.

Wonder how much responsibility the staff would have to share in this, as opposed to Myers' limitations.

BigBull17
09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
myers is going agansit

Fat albert

Fat jenkins

prob freaking Natawa

Haloti Ngata? He is a 3-4 end, so not going against Myers. Mt. Cody will be their nose.

Kaiser Toro
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Haloti Ngata? He is a 3-4 end, so not going against Myers. Mt. Cody will be their nose.

Cody will be their Nose? I did not realize he won the position, do you have a link?

Blake
09-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Cody will be their Nose? I did not realize he won the position, do you have a link?

Kelly Gregg is the starting NT. Cody is 3rd string.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Player_Roster/Depth_Chart.aspx

badboy
09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I like Chris Myers he's smart, calls good blocking assignments, fast, and athletic to get to the second level but if you can't handle the first level blocking assignment, the DT/NT, then it doesn't matter how fast you get to the second level cause you've either been pushed into the backfield or laying on the ground. Also he hasn't taken on the initiative to put on some muscle mass in the last few years when it's pretty obvious that bulk and strength are his weakness.Slaton and Okoye bulked up before last season. How did that turn out? Both have since returned to prior weight and are noted to be resorting to speed to establish themselves.

Second Honeymoon
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Myers is the worst starting Center in the league...but Kubiak likes him so don't expect any changes.

Hopefully Myers can actually play like a starter in this league, and I sure hope he played so awful the last couple years because he was hurt. Sounds like an excuse to me though.

The guy is just a severe liability and he is the reason our short yardage game sucks so bad. He gets punked play after play after play after play.

yet, Kubiak continues to start him. maybe that is more due to their inability/unwillingness to draft/sign a decent Center.

Hopefully Myers doesn't suck so bad this year though. GO TEXANS!!!

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Slaton and Okoye bulked up before last season. How did that turn out? Both have since returned to prior weight and are noted to be resorting to speed to establish themselves.

You don't necessarily need to bulk up to gain strength. Myers at his Combine benched 25 reps at 225#, while Mario benched 35 at his.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01pb6PFh0m0Bn/340x.jpg

DON'T PRETEND YOU CAN"T SEE ME!!! TURN AROUND WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!!!!..........OR I'LL BOOT YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM

He gained muscle mass prior to last season. They made a big deal about it and then he sprained his ankle and it looked like he was still weak because of that.

badboy
09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
You don't necessarily need to bulk up to gain strength. Myers at his Combine benched 25 reps at 225#, while Mario benched 35 at his.Mario uses his strength to obliterate an opponent directly between him and the QB, more of a bull rush if you will. He has the speed to go outside but likes to go straight through the blocker. Myers almost never goes straight ahead but to the left or right except in the Red Zone. Myers' advantage is in his footwork and slide ability + good blocking fundamentals in this system.

beerlover
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
what was the question again?

We've rehashed this several times, the only thing I can add is this year he comes into game one 100% healthy & he is in his peak years as a player who has worked hard to develop into starting material. :tiphat:

badboy
09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
what was the question again?

We've rehashed this several times, the only thing I can add is this year he comes into game one 100% healthy & he is in his peak years as a player who has worked hard to develop into starting material. :tiphat:The answers to my question about Myers getting a fair shake from the fans have surprised me. This player more so than any other besides perhaps David Carr has caused spitting fury from those on this MB. I am hoping that the next draft will find Texans looking solely for BPA rather than attempting to fill a need. Caldwell was drafted to take over from Myers and I believe Smith was signed for same purpose. Both are now starting guards and Myers for another season is the center. Perhaps Chris's father will pop in on the message board again if his son is not getting verbally castrated after evey game.

TexansForTheW
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
People forget Myers anchored the same line that helped Steve Slaton lead rookies in rushing. The talent is there. Myers may not be your best option but the coaches have been giving other guys chances to beat out Chris and he has kept his job. I will trust the coaches on this one.

badboy
09-09-2010, 01:44 PM
People forget Myers anchored the same line that helped Steve Slaton lead rookies in rushing. The talent is there. Myers may not be your best option but the coaches have been giving other guys chances to beat out Chris and he has kept his job. I will trust the coaches on this one.Plus the OGs should be much better than last season even though it will still be Caldwell. Having Foster and the TEs we have should be another important factor. Schaub's confidence will be soaring.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 01:44 PM
People forget Myers anchored the same line that helped Steve Slaton lead rookies in rushing. The talent is there. Myers may not be your best option but the coaches have been giving other guys chances to beat out Chris and he has kept his job. I will trust the coaches on this one.

He also had Pitts and Brisiel on either side of him.

I think most know my stance on Myers, BUT....I suppose he won the job so I'll support him until he screws up again. That said, given our situation at guard at the time, I don't think he was given much competition for the spot.

beerlover
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
He also had Pitts and Brisiel on either side of him.

I think most know my stance on Myers, BUT....I suppose he won the job so I'll support him until he screws up again. That said, given our situation at guard at the time, I don't think he was given much competition for the spot.

Who knows to what affect the next bargining agreement brings to the salary cap but my guess is very little to established, journeymen players like a Chris Myers. They add excellent value to a team filling need starting positions & allowing the front office to aquire & spend in other areas of need. Sure I would like to see them invest earlier in a future draft but as long as Kubiak has his job I don't see any changes so we might as well embrace the man & give him all the support we can :fans:

badboy
09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Who knows to what affect the next bargining agreement brings to the salary cap but my guess is very little to established, journeymen players like a Chris Myers. They add excellent value to a team filling need starting positions & allowing the front office to aquire & spend in other areas of need. Sure I would like to see them invest earlier in a future draft but as long as Kubiak has his job I don't see any changes so we might as well embrace the man & give him all the support we can :fans:

Myers turns 29 next Weds Sept 15th and becomes a free agent 2012.http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3373

I too would like to draft a replacement to train

DexmanC
09-09-2010, 02:35 PM

DON'T PRETEND YOU CAN"T SEE ME!!! TURN AROUND WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!!!!..........OR I'LL BOOT YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!

LOL at the center being BARELY bigger than Jacques Reeves.

DexmanC
09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Myers turns 29 next Weds Sept 15th and becomes a free agent 2012.http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3373

I too would like to draft a replacement to train

I hope the Texans make the playoffs, 'cause Myers is gonna play a
huge part. If Kubiak is fired, he won't get a chance to replace
the center who has a sixth-round grade.

badboy
09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I hope the Texans make the playoffs, 'cause Myers is gonna play a
huge part. If Kubiak is fired, he won't get a chance to replace
the center who has a sixth-round grade.I don't see Kubiak getting fired unless we go 8-8 or worse.

TimeKiller
09-09-2010, 06:23 PM

Myers is pretty....undefined for a proffesional athlete. Not that he looks fat but for an "athletic" guy he doesn't look all that athletic.