PDA

View Full Version : Texans Still Courting Aaron Schobel

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I heard N.D. Kalu on the radio today saying he wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron Schobel on the field with the Texans very soon.

I sure hope this is true.

Report: Texans Still Courting Retired DE Aaron Schobel (http://houston.sbnation.com/2010/9/5/1671602/houston-texans-aaron-schobel-buffalo-bills)

gary
09-05-2010, 08:26 PM
As I posted in another thread IF money is holding this deal back just pay the guy IMO.

TexCanada
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
As I posted in another thread IF money is holding this deal back just pay the guy IMO.

I'll have to agree with this. I'm never one for over-spending, but in the uncapped year a one year contract can't possibly hurt us. Even if the guy ends up eating his way to a terrible year, it is still not really a big loss. Reward is way bigger then the risk in this case.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram passes along a rumor that free agent Aaron Schobel is reconsidering a return to the NFL.
His target team would apparently again be the Texans. Engel only cites "TCU people" for the speculation, but it wouldn't be a big surprise, and Houston could use him. Gary Kubiak's team was forced to keep both Tim Jamison and Jesse Nading at end behind Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, and Connor Barwin. Schobel would be an obvious upgrade over Nading or Jamison.

LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2297&line=180814&spln=1)

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I'll have to agree with this. I'm never one for over-spending, but in the uncapped year a one year contract can't possibly hurt us. Even if the guy ends up eating his way to a terrible year, it is still not really a big loss. Reward is way bigger then the risk in this case.

Schobel is known for having a passion for the game. Not the type to be seen "eating his way to a terrible year."

phantom17
09-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I would like to see A.S. with the Texans ASAP!:cow:

Ryan
09-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Is there really a 10 sack season or highly productive season left in him? Is there something extra he brings that Connor Barwin can't do other than to give the team more options?

gary
09-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Me too.

GP
09-05-2010, 08:36 PM
The reason it's speculated he wants a pretty large contract is because the Bills were due to pay him a hefty sum.

In addition, IIRC, I think Schobel had made some hints that he's near the end of his career. Especially since he retired recently. IMO, he retired on purpose so that it would lay the groundwork for the Texans to throw him more money than they would have if he had gone through with a contract earlier on.

Retiring, then just sitting around did two things: (1) Rested him, since he doesn't have to bust it during camp. And (2) Makes the Texans pursue him even more because the season is almost upon us.

If this goes down, Schobel is a smart man. LOL.

gary
09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Is there really a 10 sack season or highly productive season left in him? Is there something extra he brings that Connor Barwin can't do other than to give the team more options?I like Connor but this guy is much more proven and is worth a one year deal. Of couse the risk is there but it is very low in this case.

JB
09-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Is there really a 10 sack season or highly productive season left in him? Is there something extra he brings that Connor Barwin can't do other than to give the team more options?

Don't know if he has another 10 sack season in him, but he is a definite upgrade over Nading. He is very familiar with Bill Kollar and what he wants to do. Just think of how good our 8 man DL rotation could be.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't know if he has another 10 sack season in him, but he is a definite upgrade over Nading. He is very familiar with Bill Kollar and what he wants to do. Just think of how good our 8 man DL rotation could be.

Bingo. It doesn't matter if he's an All-Pro. What matters is he's a helluva lot better than the backups we've got and his upside is that he may even be good enough to start.

gary
09-05-2010, 08:46 PM
He may help or he may not but just a year would be good enough IMO.

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I would love to see Schobel as part of our crew, but I just can't see paying him the $8 million or so he was due. If he's willing to come down to about $3 or $4 for one year, then, ok. But $8 million? No.

gary
09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Well, I don't know but I want him here.

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
How much cash did we save cutting Reeves?

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I would love to see Schobel as part of our crew, but I just can't see paying him the $8 million or so he was due. If he's willing to come down to about $3 or $4 for one year, then, ok. But $8 million? No.

It's not my money, it's Uncle Bob's.

And it's an uncapped year.

Why worry about what it takes to get him here?

Just get him here.

gary
09-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Just get him here.
He is light years better than what is there right now and he does not complain I say just pay him.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 09:06 PM
The first time I heard this today I dismissed it. But I just heard the following from one other person who would know. Unknown
Former TCU defensive end and the recently "retired" Aaron Schobel of the Buffalo Bills has not ruled out playing this season for the Houston Texans.
A native of Columbus, Texas, Schobel has played for the Bills since he entered the NFL in 2001. But TCU people who know Schobel well said the toll of the game plus the struggles of the Bills forced him to retire. It was widely assumed that if he decided to return it would be for a team close to his home in Columbus; Houston made the most sense.
These same people said the Texans have been rather persistent in their pursuit, and he has told them he would let them know on Monday if he will play again.
He was officially released by the Bills back in early August, thus making him a free agent. Since NFL rosters had to be trimmed to 53, the Texans would have to create a spot for Schobel should he decide to play. The NFL regular season begins next weekend.
Schobel, 32, was a second round pick of the Bills out of TCU. He has been to two Pro Bowls, and has 78 career sacks.

Looks like we should know something tomorrow.

LINK (http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/nfl-news-aaron-schobel-thinking-of-returning.html)

BullNation4Life
09-05-2010, 09:12 PM

You can NEVER have too many pass rushers on the D-Line. They bring in Schobel, you can move Mario and Smith around and still have Schobel and Barwin on the field at the same time. You could stand Barwin up and let him rush like 3-4 OLB and so on...

Alot of exotic things you could do with Mario, Smith, Barwin and Schobel....

gary
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Well, at the very least he'd give it his all which is all I ask for after paying any player.

Texans34Life
09-05-2010, 10:15 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Reports of Aaron Schobel considering a return to football with the Texans are not correct, according to a source close to the situation

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Just get him here.

Sorry, dude, but $8 million for Schoebel is too much.

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Reports of Aaron Schobel considering a return to football with the Texans are not correct, according to a source close to the situation

Ok, but, Schobel needs to come out and flat out say that he is not coming to the Texans.

FirstTexansFan
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
If I'm wagering, and I do, I'm making the bet he's in a Texans uniform. I agree with an uncapped year, who cares what he's paid, it's not coming out of my pock... er... wait... tickets... beer... screw it, stay home Aaron! ;)

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry, dude, but $8 million for Schoebel is too much.

Really? Why?

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Ok, but, Schobel needs to come out and flat out say that he is not coming to the Texans.

I thought he did. I think this is something where people ask someone a question and then try to read what they want to see into the answer.

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 10:40 PM

This ^^^^ exactly!!!!! He ain't worth $7 or $8 mill...

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Dunta Robinson made $9,957,000 last year.

If Schobel could provide more quarterback hurries and sacks to the Texans defense I don't know what the holdup would be in paying him (or even overpaying him) in an uncapped year.

How much are the playoffs worth to you?

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 11:06 PM

If Schobel could provide more quarterback hurries and sacks to the Texans defense I don't know what the holdup would be in paying him (or even overpaying him) in an uncapped year.

Funny how you're willing to spend money not coming out of your own pocket. Who cares if next year is uncapped. That has nothing to do with running a profitable business. Are the playoffs worth more money? Absolutely, but spending 7 or 8 million for 10 sacks is asinine.... 3, 4 maybe even 5.... okay.

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 11:15 PM

As a five year season ticket holder and a huge Texans fan, the playoffs are a HUGE deal to me. But, I'm sorry, I just don't see Schobel being worth $8 million per year.

Using your logic, let's give him $200 million for one season and re-name the stadium after him.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Funny how you're willing to spend money not coming out of your own pocket.

Are you somehow under the impression Bob McNair can't afford a few more million?

Are the playoffs worth more money? Absolutely, but spending 7 or 8 million for 10 sacks is asinine.... 3, 4 maybe even 5.... okay.

That's amazing. Ten sacks could be the difference between 8 wins and 11 wins. The playoffs are worth more money because success brings in money in merchandising.

Even heard the term penny wise, pound foolish?

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
As a five year season ticket holder and a huge Texans fan, the playoffs are a HUGE deal to me. But, I'm sorry, I just don't see Schobel being worth $8 million per year.

You just keep saying you don't think he's worth it but you don't tell me why.

Using your logic, let's give him $200 million for one season and re-name the stadium after him.

That's not my logic at all. He's not asking for $200 million. We don't even know for sure he's asking for $8 million. But we do know he was slated to make $8 million this year with Buffalo. So, clearly Buffalo didn't think it was unreasonable to offer him that kind of money.

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Are you somehow under the impression Bob McNair can't afford a few more million?

That's amazing. Ten sacks could be the difference between 8 wins and 11 wins. The playoffs are worth more money because success brings in money in merchandising.

Even heard the term penny wise, pound foolish?

If it were only that simple!

:lol: Pay a guy a $million a sack!! Brilliant!!!! :rolleyes:

JB
09-05-2010, 11:28 PM
If bringing in Schobel @ $8 mill guaranteed a playoff berth, I would be all for it. But it doesn't. I do think that he could be a nice addition to the rotation, but he is not the one missing piece to take us to the promised land, imo. If he was willing to play for a reasonable incentive laden contract, I would love for us to sign him.

To throw a huge sum of money on a wish and a prayer...not so much.

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
You just keep saying you don't think he's worth it but you don't tell me why.

That's not my logic at all. He's not asking for $200 million. We don't even know for sure he's asking for $8 million. But we do know he was slated to make $8 million this year with Buffalo. So, clearly Buffalo didn't think it was unreasonable to offer him that kind of money.

You're right. I didn't answer your original question of why he's not worth that kind of cash.

I think he's too old. Yes, when I heard about his productivity, I started drooling. But, we are assuming that he will have that same level of productivity this year as he did last year. And, I'm sorry, man, but $8 million for a 32-year-old is just too much money.

Am I making unfair assumptions about Schobel based on his age? Perhaps. But I'm likely not the only one doing so. Why didn't the Patriots sign him?

You are correct that we don't know what he's asking for. You are correct that he is possibly asking for a lot less than $8 million. That brings up another issue: Why is he hesitating? If he wants to play for the Texans, and is willing to settle for less to play for his home team, what's the problem here? Is it just about him not wanting to go through the grind of training camp?

I don't think his heart is into the game anymore.

The sweet spot for Schoebel would be about $3.5 million for one year. That would be fair.

But $8 million? Hell to the no.

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
If bringing in Schobel @ $8 mill guaranteed a playoff berth, I would be all for it. But it doesn't. I do think that he could be a nice addition to the rotation, but he is not the one missing piece to take us to the promised land, imo. If he was willing to play for a reasonable incentive laden contract, I would love for us to sign him.

To throw a huge sum of money on a wish and a prayer...not so much.

Right on!! I like Schobel, but I like him at about 3 to 4 mill a year, NOT 7 or 8....

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
If it were only that simple!

Not sure what you're laughing at. He's a football player who specializes in rushing the passer. So, essentially yes, you're paying for sacks.

Mario's cap number last year was $7.5 million. How many sacks did he have? Nine. Perhaps you should call the Texans front office and laugh hysterically over the phone while exclaiming: "Brilliant! Almost a million dollars per sack!"

Hervoyel
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Tacked on the bottom of the nfl.com article about the Texans possible being interested in Leinart is this:

"In other Texans news, a league source tells NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that defensive end Aaron Schobel will not be coming out of retirement to join the team.

It had been reported that Schobel, a native of Columbus, TX, was considering the move, but it is now believed that the 33-year-old isn't wavering on his decision to leave the game. He spent his entire nine-year career with the Bills, earning two Pro Bowl nods."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a4c4a9/article/report-leinart-may-find-landing-place-as-backup-with-texans

JB
09-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Tacked on the bottom of the nfl.com article about the Texans possible being interested in Leinart is this:

"In other Texans news, a league source tells NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that defensive end Aaron Schobel will not be coming out of retirement to join the team.

It had been reported that Schobel, a native of Columbus, TX, was considering the move, but it is now believed that the 33-year-old isn't wavering on his decision to leave the game. He spent his entire nine-year career with the Bills, earning two Pro Bowl nods."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a4c4a9/article/report-leinart-may-find-landing-place-as-backup-with-texans

There will continue to be conflicting stories until he either files his retirement papers with the NFL, or signs with a team.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I think he's too old. Yes, when I heard about his productivity, I started drooling. But, we are assuming that he will have that same level of productivity this year as he did last year. And, I'm sorry, man, but $8 million for a 32-year-old is just too much money.

OK, fair enough I guess.

I think a better answer is that there is a dangerous precedent you set when you throw money around. Players start pointing at other players and asking the owners: "He got his. Where's mine?"

Having said that: if you've had 8 straight seasons of losing and mediocrity, you need to do everything you can to get over the hump and become a playoff team for the first time. You have a superior player who could/maybe/possibly be the final piece that gives you that one extra win that puts you over the finish line and you have to overpay him by $3 million or $4 million for one season-----if you are truly committed to winning and not the bottom line---you do it.

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Not sure what you're laughing at. He's a football player who specializes in rushing the passer. So, essentially yes, you're paying for sacks.

Mario's cap number last year was $7.5 million. How many sacks did he have? Nine. Perhaps you should call the Texans front office and laugh hysterically over the phone while exclaiming: "Brilliant! Almost a million dollars per sack!"

No, I laugh at people like you that thinking that throwing around money is the answer!! I'm guessing business or finance was not your major in school.

Texans34Life
09-05-2010, 11:58 PM
@McClain_on_NFL

Lots of reports say Aaron Schobel will sign with Texans on Monday. They've had an offer on the table for him. Right now, he's still retired
_________

newtexan
09-05-2010, 11:59 PM
The texans have brought in 3 guys no one knows much about, one is a running back, use this guy as your 3rd stringer and stop the merry-go-round of players in -players out, then there is this talk of Schobel, the guy hasn't had more contact than tiger woods and he's 40, sure he had a good yr. last yr but that means nothing for this yr. the 3 guys brought into the Texans camp are inferior athletes to the ones on our PS. so before you pay a 40 yr. old guy 7/8 million dollars for 1 yr. bring up Shep from the PS, he's 6ft.2 and 290lbs. and could give you quality minutes for way less $, besides Williams and Smith should do just fine at the DE anyway.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 12:05 AM
No, I laugh at people like you that thinking that throwing around money is the answer!! I'm guessing business or finance was not your major in school.

You've lost the argument when you make it personal.

If I wanted the Texans to throw money around I'd be asking them to pay me $8 million. I'm not doing that.

I'm suggesting the Texans should pay a top-notch player top-notch money in a year when doing so isn't prohibited by the league in order to take advantage of every resource available to them in order to win.

You're telling me a player isn't worth a certain amount of money, but rather than tell me why he's not worth the money you tell me I must not have been a business major.

dalemurphy
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM

If I wanted the Texans to throw money around I'd be asking them to pay me $8 million. I'm not doing that.

I'm suggesting the Texans should pay a top-notch player top-notch money in a year when doing so isn't prohibited by the league in order to take advantage of every resource available to them in order to win.

You're telling me a player isn't worth a certain amount of money, but rather than tell me why he's not worth the money you tell me I must not have been a business major.

My concern is the prospect of a veteran grabbing one last paycheck but not being focused for a season of football. Not only could his play early in the season be costly, but it could create a negative environment between players like Zac Diles, Owen Daniels and the management. They've been trying to get paid and haven't. Yet the Texans give this guy that missed all of camp a ton of money and hand him a starting job that he didn't earn, he plays poorly and seems disinterested... well, you get the idea... it could end poorly. And, we lose a player like Jamison to make room for him.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM

YUP!!! Pretty much I am telling you that.... That you have no idea on business and player worth... As much as I would love for Aaron Schobel to become a Texan, I would't acccept 8 million...

houstonspartan
09-06-2010, 12:22 AM

Actually, I was considering a similar reply to you, maybe not as blunt. I was wondering if you had any idea how business works. The impression that you give is that you do not. No offense intended.

A good businessman knows that Andre Johnson, for example, is worth it. Aaron Schobel, on the other hand, is not as much of a sure thing. That has nothing to do with business sense or being a finance major. That's just common sense, 101.

Sorry, man, but $8 million for a 33-year-old football player who may not even have a heart for the game anymore makes NO sense.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 12:27 AM
My concern is the prospect of a veteran grabbing one last paycheck but not being focused for a season of football. Not only could his play early in the season be costly, but it could create a negative environment between players like Zac Diles, Owen Daniels and the management. They've been trying to get paid and haven't. Yet the Texans give this guy that missed all of camp a ton of money and hand him a starting job that he didn't earn, he plays poorly and seems disinterested... well, you get the idea... it could end poorly. And, we lose a player like Jamison to make room for him.

I have heard he is not the kind of player who takes plays off. He plays for the love of the game.

But I hear you. I wouldn't offer a player a lot of money if I thought money was the only reason he was playing and he wasn't going to be giving me everything he had on every down.

Thorn
09-06-2010, 12:30 AM
lukewarm about Schobel to say the least, but you know, better Schobel than Lienhart. LOL

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Actually, I was considering a similar reply to you, maybe not as blunt. I was wondering if you had any idea how business works. The impression that you give is that you do not. No offense intended.

A good businessman knows that Andre Johnson, for example, is worth it. Aaron Schobel, on the other hand, is not as much of a sure thing. That has nothing to do with business sense or being a finance major. That's just common sense, 101.

Sorry, man, but $8 million for a 33-year-old football player who may not even have a heart for the game anymore makes NO sense.

What are the concerns that need to be satisfied from a business standpoint?

Is the team in the red? Not even close.

Can the team afford it? You bet.

Will the move possibly make the team even stronger financially in terms of merchandising? Yes, possibly.

Each situation is different. There are rules of thumb that can be applied to every situation but each situation is different.

In this situation---again---we have a team that has been wallowing in substandard performance for eight seasons. We have a continued concern for a lack of pass rush. We have a player who is known as a pass rusher who is available. And we have an uncapped year which would allow the team as much room as they see fit to sign the player.

Is 8 million dollars too much to pay a 33 year old defensive end if you're already a playoff team and there's a salary cap? Of course.

Are the Texans a playoff team already? Nope.

Is this a cap year? Nope.

Can the team afford it. Yep.

Might the move help them get over the hump? Yep.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 12:40 AM
YUP!!! Pretty much I am telling you that.... That you have no idea on business and player worth... As much as I would love for Aaron Schobel to become a Texan, I would't acccept 8 million...

OK, well forgive me if I find that argument astonishingly weak and we'll just agree to disagree and I'll move on.

GP
09-06-2010, 01:00 AM
What are the concerns that need to be satisfied from a business standpoint?

Is the team in the red? Not even close.

Can the team afford it? You bet.

Will the move possibly make the team even stronger financially in terms of merchandising? Yes, possibly.

Each situation is different. There are rules of thumb that can be applied to every situation but each situation is different.

In this situation---again---we have a team that has been wallowing in substandard performance for eight seasons. We have a continued concern for a lack of pass rush. We have a player who is known as a pass rusher who is available. And we have an uncapped year which would allow the team as much room as they see fit to sign the player.

Is 8 million dollars too much to pay a 33 year old defensive end if you're already a playoff team and there's a salary cap? Of course.

Are the Texans a playoff team already? Nope.

Is this a cap year? Nope.

Can the team afford it. Yep.

Might the move help them get over the hump? Yep.

I'm with you. (Rep your way)

The Cowboys took a supposedly washed up, near retirement guy named Charles Haley and he did wonders for that team.

Sometimes, a guy has enough in the tank to give 1 or 2 years of production if the mix is right. If he were to come in and push the defensive line over the top, it'd be $8 million well spent.

If he doesn't, it's not like McNair's ass is going to miss the $8 million. He'll just raise beer and hot dogs by 5-cents-per unit and make it back over the next few years.

Anybody worried about the Texans' financial state of affairs needs to relax a little. They'll be fine. Trust me.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2010, 01:09 AM
The texans have brought in 3 guys no one knows much about, one is a running back, use this guy as your 3rd stringer and stop the merry-go-round of players in -players out, then there is this talk of Schobel, the guy hasn't had more contact than tiger woods and he's 40, sure he had a good yr. last yr but that means nothing for this yr. the 3 guys brought into the Texans camp are inferior athletes to the ones on our PS. so before you pay a 40 yr. old guy 7/8 million dollars for 1 yr. bring up Shep from the PS, he's 6ft.2 and 290lbs. and could give you quality minutes for way less $, besides Williams and Smith should do just fine at the DE anyway.

First off, last year, lots of people wanted Derrick Ward to be picked up in free agency but Tampa Bay got him instead. He rushed for over 1000 yards for the Giants a couple of years ago. He's not an unknown guy.

Secondly, Aaron Schobel is 33. He's not 40. He's been to the Pro Bowl twice and has gotten 10 or more sacks 4 times in his career including last year at the age of 32. He's a really good, experienced player who has played for our defensive line coach and they're very good friends.

He's a serious upgrade over Nading or Jamison. He's not a DT and your boy Shep has no relation to him. Comparing Schobel to Sheppard is apples and oranges and is absolutely ludicrous.

Third, there were two other guys brought in off of waivers. THOSE are the two guys that most of us don't know much about (although there are a few draft junkies who DO know about them.) These two other guys could be very good pickups but we'll have to wait and see.

Finally, there's every possibility that Shep will be called up at some point during the season. So just be patient.

houstonspartan
09-06-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm with you. (Rep your way)

The Cowboys took a supposedly washed up, near retirement guy named Charles Haley and he did wonders for that team.

Sometimes, a guy has enough in the tank to give 1 or 2 years of production if the mix is right. If he were to come in and push the defensive line over the top, it'd be $8 million well spent.

If he doesn't, it's not like McNair's ass is going to miss the $8 million. He'll just raise beer and hot dogs by 5-cents-per unit and make it back over the next few years.

Anybody worried about the Texans' financial state of affairs needs to relax a little. They'll be fine. Trust me.

I"m not worried about the Texans financial state of affairs. I just think $8 million for a 33-year-old player who is ho hum about playing again is too much money.

I agree that he might have one or two years of production left. But for $8 million dollars? No.

And, "being able to afford" something doesn't mean Jack. It has no bearing on whether or not something is a good deal. Ask the Washington Redskins where 10 years of tossing money randomly at players and over paying them has gotten them...

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 01:10 AM

You da man!

GP
09-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I"m not worried about the Texans financial state of affairs. I just think $8 million for a 33-year-old player who is ho hum about playing again is too much money.

I agree that he might have one or two years of production left. But for $8 million dollars? No.

I think Schobel is doing an excellent job of pretending to be ho hum.

There is a part of him, IMO, that says "Damn, Brett Favre has this all figured out!"

I think he is playing this very well. He knows he's got them by the balls. Dude, we're STILL pursuing the guy. And he knew they would. Don't think he didn't watch the Cowboys game and think to himself "Oh hell yeah, I can go play with those guys. Definitely."

Rey
09-06-2010, 01:19 AM

Bingo. Completely agreed.

houstonspartan
09-06-2010, 01:25 AM

There is a part of him, IMO, that says "Damn, Brett Favre has this all figured out!"

I think he is playing this very well. He knows he's got them by the balls. Dude, we're STILL pursuing the guy. And he knew they would. Don't think he didn't watch the Cowboys game and think to himself "Oh hell yeah, I can go play with those guys. Definitely."

How does he have the TExans by the balls? If they can't agree on price, the Texans will simply move on as they have always done.

Rick Smith is a hard ass that plays hard ball. You know that. Pursuing him doesn't necessarily mean tossing $8 million his way. If they're smart, they would simply split the difference with him and offer him $3.5 to $4 million. That would be fair.

DexmanC
09-06-2010, 01:26 AM

I see what you're saying. Maybe the New Orleans game showed him he
should ask for a couple more million.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 01:30 AM
I see what you're saying. Maybe the New Orleans game showed him he
should ask for a couple more million.

And if the Texans lose to Indianapolis and Manning walks off the field at Reliant without his butt ever touching the turf, Schobel will ask for a couple more million.

GP
09-06-2010, 01:32 AM
How does he have the TExans by the balls? If they can't agree on price, the Texans will simply move on as they have always done.

Rick Smith is a hard ass that plays hard ball. You know that. Pursuing him doesn't necessarily mean tossing $8 million his way. If they're smart, they would simply split the difference with him and offer him $3.5 to $4 million. That would be fair.

Your thinking is not out of the realm of possibility. Yes, Rick Smith is a hard ass when it comes to contracts. I agree.

But on negotiations, you start high and work your way down. If anything, the guy avoided having to show up and grind his way through a week or two of camp. That's not always a bad move. If you got it, you got it. And I don't think it translates into being a bad thing all the time. Not saying you think this or anything, just laying it out there in general.

Didn't we pay Orlovsky what seems to be a pretty absurd amount for who he was and what he was coming out of in Detroit? I don't remember the exact dollars, but many analysts (and a few fans on here) were grimacing at the amount IIRC. I think the Texans would pay $4-6 million for Schobel.

And Schobel would be dumb to turn it down.

GP
09-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Over in another thread, someone says LaCanfora is saying the rumors about Schobel are false. Essentially, the word is that John McClain doesn't know what's up.

That's the latest buzz on Schobel: The rumors are false.

houstonspartan
09-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Your thinking is not out of the realm of possibility. Yes, Rick Smith is a hard ass when it comes to contracts. I agree.

But on negotiations, you start high and work your way down. If anything, the guy avoided having to show up and grind his way through a week or two of camp. That's not always a bad move. If you got it, you got it. And I don't think it translates into being a bad thing all the time. Not saying you think this or anything, just laying it out there in general.

Didn't we pay Orlovsky what seems to be a pretty absurd amount for who he was and what he was coming out of in Detroit? I don't remember the exact dollars, but many analysts (and a few fans on here) were grimacing at the amount IIRC. I think the Texans would pay $4-6 million for Schobel.

And Schobel would be dumb to turn it down.

Sure. Negotiating 101 starts with ask for it all. Then, you work your way down to someplace where you can be comfortable with. I didn't say that Schobel shouldn't have asked for $8 million. I'm sure he did. I'm saying no way in hell is he worth that amount.

And, I agree about staying out as long as he wants. Again: It's a part of negotating. Fine. Just don't think you're going to get your $8 million.

Don't get me started on Orlovskly's contract. When I heard how much we were paying him, I was driving in the car and heard it on the radio. I was so astonished I nearly had to pull over. It was one of those moments when I wished radio had a DVR function where I could grab the remote, hit rewind to double check I heard what I just heard.

DexmanC
09-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Kubiak himself just said on Friday's show, that the door with Schobel
has not yet closed. They are moving forward, but are still in talks
with him.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 02:01 AM
OK, well forgive me if I find that argument astonishingly weak and we'll just agree to disagree and I'll move on.

Okay, we'll agree to disagree... That's cool!! Although your argument is weak..... at best!!!!

but okay... :rolleyes:

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 02:05 AM
I like Connor but this guy is much more proven and is worth a one year deal. Of couse the risk is there but it is very low in this case.

This has nothing to do with Connor. We still need Connor to at least match his production from 2009. He'll be getting more field time as a result of how well he performed last year.

Adding Schobel gives us a true 8 man DE rotation, which we don't have with Jamison or Nading (bless their hearts). This will allow us to rest Mario & Antonio Smith in the forth Qtr. So when the other team gets into the red zone, we'll have two fresh-legged monsters attacking whatever poor QB happens to be silly enough to take the field.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 02:12 AM

I don't think we can pay him $8 million for one year, unless we expect him to start, and unless we expect him to get 10 sacks. If it's a one year deal, that money had better come on the backend, as in not guaranteed, to motivate him to bring it every game.

I wouldn't want to give him that kind of money. But it's an uncapped year, it's a one year deal, what would it hurt?

Antonio Smith's ego? I like Smith, I like his game. But if I have to choose between the probability of Schobel getting us more than 8 sacks in 2010, or Antonio Smith getting us more than 8 sacks, I'm going with the true blue Texan.

Hopefully he'll feel hurt about the situation, and try to prove us all wrong.

But they're charging you $8 for a beer anyway, might as well get a real FA pickup out of the deal.

dream_team
09-06-2010, 02:19 AM
I'm sorry. The guy has come out publicly and said he's retiring because his heart is no longer in the game. So why should we be happy to over pay for him?

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm sorry. The guy has come out publicly and said he's retiring because his heart is no longer in the game. So why should we be happy to over pay for him?

I dunno.......... Good question..

zanth91
09-06-2010, 02:31 AM

He's a liar and a traitor. Take him away! :hothboy:

Seriously though, you have to think that he could at least be reconsidering. That gives us a chance.

DexmanC
09-06-2010, 02:42 AM
This has nothing to do with Connor. We still need Connor to at least match his production from 2009. He'll be getting more field time as a result of how well he performed last year.

Adding Schobel gives us a true 8 man DE rotation, which we don't have with Jamison or Nading (bless their hearts). This will allow us to rest Mario & Antonio Smith in the forth Qtr. So when the other team gets into the red zone, we'll have two fresh-legged monsters attacking whatever poor QB happens to be silly enough to take the field.

Losing Tim Bulman hurts more than they are willing to admit.

ObsiWan
09-06-2010, 03:46 AM

I said this when the Schobel rumors first started. I'm not convinced he has the love for the game any longer.
This Favre-esque drama needs to end. Now.
Schobel needs to man up and definitively declare his intentions.

Brisco_County
09-06-2010, 04:34 AM
This is just the negotiation dance.

A guy should never reveal what he really wants in this phase. He'll be showing his cards. He'll end up paying the "Wanting it" tax. It happens in both dating and business.

What's happening is that Smith told Schobel, "We're really interested in your sacking," to which Schobel said, "I sack good. Here's my price," to which Smith said, "I think you're willing to sack for us for less than that," then Schobel says, "Maybe I'd rather cook delicious stuffed jalapenos at my restaurant than sack," then there's a holdout until the last minute, then Schobel says "Alright alright, you got me, I REALLY want to sack fools. Where do I sign?"

BTW, the stuffed jalapenos at Schobel's are worth driving out to Columbus for.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-06-2010, 04:42 AM
I said this when the Schobel rumors first started. I'm not convinced he has the love for the game any longer.

His intention is already said before that he is retiring from football right? Isn't it maybe the Texans FO is the one hanging onto Schobel instead? Or, may be something has already worked out behind the closed door for Schobel to join the Texans only after preseason?(In order to avoid preseason games and trainings)

To me, Schobel has win/win situation. No need to practice during hot summer and play regular season or stay retired without hard feelings on either side.

Corrosion
09-06-2010, 05:19 AM

Not sure you can call this Favre-esque ..... Its pretty obvious that Favre still has that love for the game , its difficult to gague if Shobel has that.

DexmanC
09-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Not sure you can call this Favre-esque ..... Its pretty obvious that Favre still has that love for the game , its difficult to gague if Shobel has that.

Dude was relentless all year long, every year, in BUFFALO.
He GOTS to love the game to be that productive in a place
like BUFFALO. What's there to gauge?

Grams
09-06-2010, 06:24 AM
We just need to give him an incentive laden contract.

500K per sack. 10 sacks - 5 mill. 16 sacks - 8 mill. 16+ - just might be a super bowl on the horizon.

Maddict5
09-06-2010, 07:23 AM
We just need to give him an incentive laden contract.

500K per sack. 10 sacks - 5 mill. 16 sacks - 8 mill. 16+ - just might be a super bowl on the horizon.

you dont do incentives incentives like that. unless you're ok with him ignoring gap control for draws/screens etc and just going for the qb. we got a little preview of that last yr in week 2 v the titans with barwin

TexanExile
09-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Similar to what SAMURAITEXAN said, could there also be a week-1-roster issue here? The rules say (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/750/system-favors-older-players-after-week-1) that your salary's only guaranteed for the year if you're on the week 1 roster. (One of the reasons I was amazed Orlovsky wasn't waived, too, BTW)

IF (and it's a huge if) this rumored unretirement's even real, I'm wondering if the Texans aren't doing some salary management here, even if it isn't strictly cap management. It's a good hedge if the guy comes back and can't produce for some reason.

Again, IF he's even interested. If he were going just for the big bucks I'm sure Denver would've thrown those his way weeks ago. This is about "Texans or bust," and so far "bust" is winning.

b0ng
09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Has he come out of retirement yet? No? That's what I thought.

I'll still be absolutely stunned if he comes to play.

TexanDave
09-06-2010, 08:20 AM
I would like to see us sign him. He could very well not have much left, in terms of energy and desire that would be disappointing but it would show we are trying to do everything to make this a special season.

whiskeyrbl
09-06-2010, 08:22 AM

He's 32 and that is a far cry from 40. My take is if you signed him to a 1 yr. give him 2-3 guaranteed and numerous incentives that could make it worth 7-8 mil. That way if he plays out of his mind he gets the big money, if he doesn't you come out relatively unscaved.

ObsiWan
09-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Dude was relentless all year long, every year, in BUFFALO.
He GOTS to love the game to be that productive in a place
like BUFFALO. What's there to gauge?

Then where IS HE?
Even D-Rob had signed by now.
Favre's been in camp for two weeks now.
IF Schobel still has a love for the game why the hell ain't he here??

TheRealJoker
09-06-2010, 09:09 AM
He's 32 and that is a far cry from 40. My take is if you signed him to a 1 yr. give him 2-3 guaranteed and numerous incentives that could make it worth 7-8 mil. That way if he plays out of his mind he gets the big money, if he doesn't you come out relatively unscaved.

You act as if every player will gladly take a contract loaded with incentives. That is not the case, especially after the Ricky Williams rookie contract debacle.

A guy like Schobel knows the Texans need him more than he needs them. He's not gonna take a deal based around incentives when he's already leaning towards retirement.

BullNation4Life
09-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Then where IS HE?
Even D-Rob had signed by now.
Favre's been in camp for two weeks now.
IF Schobel still has a love for the game why the hell ain't he here??

cause money talks and BS walks. Maybe he was trying to see how desperate the Texans were so he could get more. Not a bad strategy. Not play the entire pre-season, got as much as you can and be ready to play on week 1....

Schoble could step in tomorrow and know the system from his time with Kollar....

whiskeyrbl
09-06-2010, 09:32 AM
You act as if every player will gladly take a contract loaded with incentives. That is not the case, especially after the Ricky Williams rookie contract debacle.

A guy like Schobel knows the Texans need him more than he needs them. He's not gonna take a deal based around incentives when he's already leaning towards retirement.

I dont remember saying he would take it. I was saying that is the kind of contract I would offer. So before you try to shoot down a comment of mine at least know what you are talking about

TheRealJoker
09-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I dont remember saying he would take it. I was saying that is the kind of contract I would offer. So before you try to shoot down a comment of mine at least know what you are talking about

Before you try to say a retired pro bowler would sign with the team, at least come up with a realistic scenario for him to sign here.

newtexan
09-06-2010, 10:15 AM
If Schobel truly wanted to play for the Texans he would've signed by now, he's not Brett Farve, we expect him to come off the rocker and get 10 sacks again, its time to move on with what we have,the Texans have made the biggest move the'll make this year,....prepare for kickoff.

gary
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't think we can pay him $8 million for one year, unless we expect him to start, and unless we expect him to get 10 sacks. If it's a one year deal, that money had better come on the backend, as in not guaranteed, to motivate him to bring it every game.

I wouldn't want to give him that kind of money. But it's an uncapped year, it's a one year deal, what would it hurt?

Antonio Smith's ego? I like Smith, I like his game. But if I have to choose between the probability of Schobel getting us more than 8 sacks in 2010, or Antonio Smith getting us more than 8 sacks, I'm going with the true blue Texan.

Hopefully he'll feel hurt about the situation, and try to prove us all wrong.

But they're charging you $8 for a beer anyway, might as well get a real FA pickup out of the deal.They are not as strong at DE. Shcobel is a proven player I just brought up Barwin for fun. This has to do with paying a top tier FA it is going to take years and years for Bob to lose money out of his pockets. The food and what not will go up in price but fans and corperations will buy up tickets. Building through the draft is nice but you also have to pay big FA too.

J_R
09-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Wasnt listening this morning so I cant confirm this but I guess they had his agent on 610 and he said the reports were 95% false

LanceZierlein

Just got off the phone(text) with sources close to Aaron Schobel who tell me the rumors of him joining Texans are "ridiculous". Game over.

Texans won't pay Schobel what his going rate is so any discussion of Schobel coming back would have to start with more $.

newtexan
09-06-2010, 10:39 AM
My point is this, Schobel has not been active, his heart isn't truly in football and everyone is blushing over what he did last year.

gary
09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
My point is this, Schobel has not been active, his heart isn't truly in football and everyone is blushing over what he did last year.
This is the only reason I would not pay him is if I were unsure if his heart is in it. Good point. Which is why I'd do an incentive based contract but he would NOT go for that at his age.

J_R
09-06-2010, 10:56 AM
LZ: The Texans are off by over $2 million & that isn't changing. If the Texans bust out the checkbook it could change, but doubt it

Dutchrudder
09-06-2010, 11:07 AM
LZ: The Texans are off by over $2 million & that isn't changing. If the Texans bust out the checkbook it could change, but doubt it

Yeah, 'his heart' isn't in the game... Sounds to me like he should have stuck it out with the Bills for 8 million.

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I have some very good info on this. I heard from a friend, who was talking to the guy in the next urinal who was shaking more than twice and obviously playing with himself, who said he heard from a guy, who knew a guy who ate at schobel's restaurant who said they have the best chicken fried steak in Colorado County. Oh yeah, and that guy said Aaron's cousin-in-law said aaron really wanted to play for the Texans. Or he wanted to play golf. One or the other.

Thorn
09-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I have some very good info on this. I heard from a friend, who was talking to the guy in the next urinal who was shaking more than twice and obviously playing with himself, who said he heard from a guy, who knew a guy who ate at schobel's restaurant who said they have the best chicken fried steak in Colorado County. Oh yeah, and that guy said Aaron's cousin-in-law said aaron really wanted to play for the Texans. Or he wanted to play golf. One or the other.

:lol:

FirstTexansFan
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Dangit man, there is only room for one funny guy on these boards.... we'll have a wit duel at sunset! :)

(Two Aggies dueling it out in a battle of wits? "Now that's funny"...said Vince Young)

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Dangit man, there is only room for one funny guy on these boards.... we'll have a wit duel at sunset! :)

(Two Aggies dueling it out in a battle of wits? "Now that's funny"...said Vince Young)

he would definitely know about being "funny"!

GuerillaBlack
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM

No way! So, is he coming?

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't care either way.......I'm actually looking forward to Connor Barwin getting a increased role. Every time that guy is allowed to play he puts heat on the QB, I think it's time to see what he can do.

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM

It looks like Uncle BoB isn't going to pony up for Schobel. (Schocking)

Oh well enjoy your retirement Aaron.

Maybe if Mario hurts his shoulder again and the pass rush stinks. (again) After Manning, McNabb,Romo,Flacco etc... lights up the defense (Again) Uncle BoB will see the light and sign Schobel around mid season. (It will be cheaper on Uncle BoB)

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
P.S.

The worst thing about LZ's update is the "McNair is a cheap SOB" mob will now point to how Bob didn't back a Brinks truck up to Schobel's door.

To me, it's obvious that Schobel is looking for one last paycheck, but only if it's convenient to him (playing close to home) and nothing else. I don't want to pay a guy to play football who's just looking to increase his bank account........I want to pay a guy to play football, because the guy really wants to play football.

kiwitexansfan
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, lets see, should we pay an old guy who's heart isn't really in football more than what we believe is fair value....... NO.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM

So give him a contract worth $3.5MM, Guarantee a little more than half $2MM, the other $1.5MM would be earned in game checks. Throw in incentives that could equal another $2-3MM. This deal would total $5.5-6.5MM, and should be considered fare. If the Texans want to do something similar in the $8MM range, big deal.

If Schobel isn't willing to sign something like this, then he's just in it for the pay-day, I'd move on. But if they are still talking, I'm still listening.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
It looks like Uncle BoB isn't going to pony up for Schobel. (Schocking)

Oh well enjoy your retirement Aaron.

Maybe if Mario hurts his shoulder again and the pass rush stinks. (again) After Manning, McNabb,Romo,Flacco etc... lights up the defense (Again) Uncle BoB will see the light and sign Schobel around mid season. (It will be cheaper on Uncle BoB)

I'm not nearly as down on Uncle Bob as you seem to be, but I'll be pretty livid if our pass rush sucks the first few games and we get a slow start because of it.

Here we have a pass rush specialist in our back yard and we're letting him sit over a couple million dollars in a non-cap year.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
LOL, and so it starts. :rolleyes:

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 12:48 PM

I wonder, what he's asking. The $8MM is speculation, because that is what Buffalo was on the line for. If he was only asking for $5MM, and we're only willing to pay $3MM I may have some concerns.

If both sides agreed to $5MM, and he was asking for $3MM Guaranteed, and we were only willing to do $1MM Guaranteed, I might have some concerns there.

If we have agreed on $3MM guaranteed, and he want's $6MM for the year, and we are at $4MM...

There's just so many ways this thing could be structured, I don't think we'll ever know what the issue was/is, unless we sign him to something we could use for comparison.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I wonder, what he's asking. The $8MM is speculation, because that is what Buffalo was on the line for. If he was only asking for $5MM, and we're only willing to pay $3MM I may have some concerns.

Exactly. It's frustrating not knowing who is asking for what and who is offering what.

For the record, I do think $8 million is over the top.

But I bet Schobel isn't demanding that much.

Just as you said, if they're two million apart and the Texans are offering only three, that would really piss me off.

gary
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't have time to do in detail because I have work to be done. Anyway, I would like to know exactly what is in the mind of both Schobel and McNair.

painekiller
09-06-2010, 02:09 PM

If both sides agreed to $5MM, and he was asking for $3MM Guaranteed, and we were only willing to do $1MM Guaranteed, I might have some concerns there.

If we have agreed on $3MM guaranteed, and he want's $6MM for the year, and we are at $4MM...

There's just so many ways this thing could be structured, I don't think we'll ever know what the issue was/is, unless we sign him to something we could use for comparison.

5MM for a backup who has not had camp? Be real, this guy has not shown us a thing, its all speculation. We do not know the number and throwing away 8MM only sends a bad message to the guys who have busted their tails for the last 4 months.

If the pass rush sucks in week one they still can open the fault, but for a backup role player, that does not play special teams, a lot steep IMO.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
5MM for a backup who has not had camp? Be real, this guy has not shown us a thing

He started 16 games last year and had 10 sacks.

TexanExile
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Agreed on the salary. He's at least worth Orlovsky money.

But as for his stats last year, he attended camp last year too, didn't he? Subtract the month it'll take him to get into the system and into playing shape, and now we're into October. With each passing week I care less about whether he comes back...unless somebody gets hurt and the urgency goes up.

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
as for his stats last year, he attended camp last year too, didn't he? Subtract the month it'll take him to get into the system and into playing shape, and now we're into October.

We're talking about a nine year vet whose position coach at Buffalo is now his position coach in Houston. He doesn't need camp. In all likelihood, he'll be better without camp---fresh legs.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
5MM for a backup who has not had camp? Be real, this guy has not shown us a thing, its all speculation. We do not know the number and throwing away 8MM only sends a bad message to the guys who have busted their tails for the last 4 months.

If the pass rush sucks in week one they still can open the fault, but for a backup role player, that does not play special teams, a lot steep IMO.

I hope you don't think you are arguing with me, I agree that anything like those numbers would make him a starter. Even though we've paid Antonio Smith a lot of money, he'll have to take a back seat.

As far as this vet with a very good reputation, able to rush the passer, and stop the run, I think anyone who gets a bad taste in their mouth about busting tail for 4 months, and this guy walking in, will just have to STFU. Aaron Schobel is a vet with good reputation.

If the Texans are looking for him to come into a back-up role, that may very well be the reason for the $2MM difference, and Schobel still saying he is retired.

If that's what the Texans want from him, and want to pay him accordingly, and he balks, I'm with you, let him walk.

whiskeyrbl
09-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Before you try to say a retired pro bowler would sign with the team, at least come up with a realistic scenario for him to sign here.

If you dont agree with my opinion fine move on. I have a real scenario for ya though you can kma. Real enough?

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 03:40 PM
What a cheap sumbitch Bob McNair is. How dare him not be willing to pay an uniterested player $8 mill this season....

*Dripping and soaked in :sarcasm: *

Cjeremy635
09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
What a cheap sumbitch Bob McNair is. How dare him not be willing to pay an uniterested player $8 mill this season....

*Dripping and soaked in :sarcasm: *

Has Secondhoneymoon dropped by to give his input on how "cheap" we are being? For the record, I'd like to have Shobel here, but not at any cost. I said that from the start and I think his salary commands somewhere in the $4 million dollar range, but no more. You have to set a limit and stick to it, that's just good business sense.

TexansBull
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I wonder if they tried the Peter Griffin way of negotiating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhThhrd_UY

I hope the link works.

BullNation4Life
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I wonder if they tried the Peter Griffin way of negotiating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhThhrd_UY

I hope the link works.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/zDhThhrd_UY/0.jpg

"Coooome on....Come ooonnnnn..."

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Has Secondhoneymoon dropped by to give his input on how "cheap" we are being? For the record, I'd like to have Shobel here, but not at any cost. I said that from the start and I think his salary commands somewhere in the $4 million dollar range, but no more. You have to set a limit and stick to it, that's just good business sense.

No he hasn't, but the 'other' one did!

And, exactly to the bolded!!

GNTLEWOLF
09-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Honestly...I would have liked to have schobel here when all this first started. Now, I just wish all the Schobel speculation would stop. He isn't coming out of retirement. He isn't gonna play for the Texans. We ain't getting him. We need to just let this die.

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
No he hasn't, but the 'other' one did!

And, exactly to the bolded!!

Glad to be known as the other one. I take it as a compliment.

I call things as I see them and am very secure IMO. I love people who disagree with me. Hopefully I dont seem as abrasive as SH. LOL

McNair can keep on with the business as usual routine. It is why his team is perpetually stuck in the 7-9,9-7 routine.

Kimmy
09-06-2010, 08:21 PM
We saw James Casey tonight at his 97.5 radio event. I asked him about Schobel, he said they have the same agent. My husband & I were like, HELLO??? Call him! haha He didn't have any details, but did say that the Texans would LOVE to have him.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM

I call things as I see them and am very secure IMO. I love people who disagree with me. Hopefully I dont seem as abrasive as SH. LOL

McNair can keep on with the business as usual routine. It is why his team is perpetually stuck in the 7-9,9-7 routine.

;)

Cool. But often times you "see" things through some ****ed up glasses. Maybe you're getting old, and your glasses need to get thicker? :choke:

No, you're not as abrasive... But close!! ;)

:worldpeace:

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
;)

Cool. But often times you "see" things through some ****ed up glasses. Maybe you're getting old, and your glasses need to get thicker? :choke:

No, you're not as abrasive... But close!! ;)

:worldpeace:

Dnot wear glasses, but maybe I need to get some to go along with a big ole glass of battle red koolaid. LOL

Or are you talking about bar glasses? Then you may be closer to the truth. LOL

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 08:39 PM

I'm thinking a cheerleading squad for the Texans front office needs to be assembled.

They can stand in the front office at Reliant with pom-poms and cheer each time a penny is saved.

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-0809-2314-2534_Cartoon_Cheerleader_with_Pom_Poms_clipart_ima ge.jpg
"A penny saved is a penny earned!
Go team! Go!"

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Then... let me take exception to this... :)

We haven't existed as a franchise to be "perpetually" stuck in anything, yet. 20-30 years without a playoff berth, 40-50 years without a playoff win, 10 years of losing or winning seasons, THOSE can be classified as "perpetual" but 3 years? Not so much.

4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7

Our winning percentage over our existence is 38%. So if we're "perpetual" anything, it's 6-10. But the past 4 seasons, we've been that or better.

Two seasons of 8-8 and one season of 9-7 isn't "stuck" in the 7-9 win range. We've got 5 years of sub 500 ball, 2 years of 500 ball, and then a year of >500 ball. Add that to the overall average over 8 years of 6-10, and that's a slope going up, not flat.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Dnot wear glasses, but maybe I need to get some to go along with a big ole glass of battle red koolaid. LOL

Or are you talking about bar glasses? Then you may be closer to the truth. LOL

:lol: Seriously, that had me laughing!!!

I'm not sure what glasses you need, but you need some new ones!! Bar glasses have gotten me into trouble. A lot of trouble!!

KoolAid works!!!!!!! Buy in my man, buy in!!! It tastes great!! :)

JB
09-06-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm not sure what glasses you need, but you need some new ones!! Bar glasses have gotten me into trouble. A lot of trouble!!

Not only that, it's less filling!

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Then... let me take exception to this... :)

We haven't existed as a franchise to be "perpetually" stuck in anything, yet. 20-30 years without a playoff berth, 40-50 years without a playoff win, 10 years of losing or winning seasons, THOSE can be classified as "perpetual" but 3 years? Not so much.

4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7

Our winning percentage over our existence is 38%. So if we're "perpetual" anything, it's 6-10. But the past 4 seasons, we've been that or better.

Two seasons of 8-8 and one season of 9-7 isn't "stuck" in the 7-9 win range. We've got 5 years of sub 500 ball, 2 years of 500 ball, and then a year of >500 ball. Add that to the overall average over 8 years of 6-10, and that's a slope going up, not flat.

So, some how you tie in the Capers / Asserly campaign to the current regime? Just askin'???

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2010, 09:50 PM
So, some how you tie in the Capers / Asserly campaign to the current regime? Just askin'???

Because the knock was on McNair and 8 years is closer to being able to be said to be "perpetual" than 4 years. 4 years is just way too short to be considered "perpetual".

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Because the knock was on McNair and 8 years is closer to being able to be said to be "perpetual" than 4 years. 4 years is just way too short to be considered "perpetual".

Totaaly agree!!!!

BTW, It only took the Saints 20 years to make the playoffs, AND like 42 years to win a Super Bowl.... Obviously, I hope we're not on that path, but 8 / 9 years ain't shite!!

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Trust me it's the that time of year to buy in.

I'll be there with my Manning sux t-shirt under my Schaub jersey giving Colts fans he**.

it's not quite the same now that Dungy's gone. I cant stand him. Caldwell is hard to dislike. He's a great HC who almost did what it took Dungy a career to accomplish as a rookie HC.

BullNation4Life
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Totaaly agree!!!!

BTW, It only took the Saints 20 years to make the playoffs, AND like 42 years to win a Super Bowl.... Obviously, I hope we're not on that path, but 8 / 9 years ain't shite!!

It is to those living in the ME/NOW generation, as in WIN FOR ME NOW OR I AM GONNA GET ON A MESSAGE BOARD AND COMPLAIN AND STILL WATCH THE GAMES AND BUY THE MERCHANDISE BECAUSE THAT IS PRETTY MUCH ALL I CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!! :slapfight:

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Trust me it's the that time of year to buy in.

I'll be there with my Manning sux t-shirt under my Schaub jersey giving Colts fans he**.

it's not quite the same now that Dungy's gone. I cant stand him. Caldwell is hard to dislike. He's a great HC who almost did what it took Dungy a career to accomplish as a rookie HC.

And I know you will!!!! That's what's it's cool, even given our differences!!!

Except for one thing........... Caldwell is an asshat!! Why? Well, because he's the coach of the asshats!! ;)

painekiller
09-06-2010, 10:55 PM

We are not looking to sign him to start. He is being considered as a pass rush specialist. Last year was a different team, a poor team where he was involved in the entire off season program. He was the focus of their defense, as he should be making 8MM.

Here is only being considered as a specialist, they are not offering a 33 year old specialist more than the starters. The Texans will not do that.

And yes I understand that we agree on this.

Brisco_County
09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
This is another instance where Smith is acting shrewdly and making the right decision despite what everyone wants to see.

midgetonadonkey
09-07-2010, 12:07 AM
This is another instance where Smith is acting shrewdly and making the right decision despite what everyone wants to see.

I don't feel Smith should be in the business of trying to make fans happy. He is in the business of building a championship football team despite what fans may or may not want in terms of roster.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 09:50 AM
4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
Wow looking at our first 4 years, we had 18 wins. Looking at our last 2 years we had 17. That is amazing to me.

I'm still hoping we can sign Schobel to be a pass rush specialist. Should know today or tomorrow I presume or is it "officially" over?? Mario, Smith, Schobel, Barwin. I dig it.

El Tejano
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Saw and heard on NFL Network that Lacanfora reported he confirmed with Schobel that he's not coming back and he's not playing for The Texans.

BSofA04
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Saw and heard on NFL Network that Lacanfora reported he confirmed with Schobel that he's not coming back and he's not playing for The Texans.
Well....that sucks.

El Tejano
09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
To me that puts an end to it.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 10:28 AM

You, my friend, are such a party pooper.

http://overthetopshirts.com/images/Party_Pooper.jpg

Kaiser Toro
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM

McNair should pay him anyway. :kitten:

eriadoc
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Funny how you're willing to spend money not coming out of your own pocket.

As long as beer and concessions are as ridiculously priced as they are, you're damn right I'm OK with spending McNair's money - especially when he receives the most benefit from the goal being realized.

Hey, they paid Roosevelt Colvin a million to come to training camp and not make the team.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think we as fans can reliably put a number on how much a player is worth. We don't deal in numbers that big. If the coaches think Schobel could be the missing piece to get into the playoffs and/or make a deep run into the playoffs, then he's worth it (whatever "it" is) to me. What he's worth might be defined differently by management, but unless you're McNair's other son, you shouldn't be trying to pinch his pennies, IMO.

gary
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
This stinks.

False Start
09-07-2010, 10:40 AM
McNair should pay him anyway. :kitten:

Yeah, hes just a damn cheapskate. ;)

HJam72
09-07-2010, 10:40 AM
What's really more important is he should be paying me a few million to serve and suck up to the cheerleaders.

BigBull17
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I think Schoble used us to try and get a fat contract. When no one came knocking, he hung it up.

badboy
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I heard N.D. Kalu on the radio today saying he wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron Schobel on the field with the Texans very soon.

I sure hope this is true.

Report: Texans Still Courting Retired DE Aaron Schobel (http://houston.sbnation.com/2010/9/5/1671602/houston-texans-aaron-schobel-buffalo-bills)Evidently you did not listen to the entire program as just before going off air, ND's agent (same as Schoble's) returned Kalu's message and said he could not comment specifically on Schoebel but did say 95% of rumours like this are false. He also said to "look at the source of the rumor." The talk show host and I were left with the impression that Schoebel is retired and not interested in negotiations.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Don't worry, somewhere there's someone who met Schobel once who'll say that they think he's going to come back and play for the Texans. And as soon as McClain hears that, he'll jump on it like it's a real news source and put it in the Chron somewhere and then ESPN will read that and treat it like it's a confirmed news source and we'll be right back here arguing over whether we're offering the guy enough money even though he's said several times that he's not coming back and he's never said anything to make anyone think otherwise.

cuppacoffee
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
The Texans will up their offer after the game against Indy.

I doubt it does any good though.

:coffee:

El Tejano
09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
That article said that WE were still pursuing. It didn't say anything about SCHOEBEL wanting to play though.

edo783
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
According to a writer on the Chron, we are still ~2 mill apart and not likely to get it done.

drs23
09-07-2010, 10:40 PM
:deadhorse

TimeKiller
09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
According to a writer on the Chron, we are still ~2 mill apart and not likely to get it done.

2 mil is nothing, I doubt that is really what the hold up is.

I mean, to Bob McNair 2 million is nothing. If they gave me 2 million I'd be the craziest pass rusher any of you ever did see. I'd be crawling through OL legs and shit, I'd hit Peyton late helmet to helmet, I'd be a whirlwind of ****-the-Colts!!!!!

Ole Miss Texan
09-08-2010, 08:59 AM
There's so much more to a player's contract than the "dollar amount" but at the same time, there's only so much you can do with a 1 year deal. Wouldn't surprise me if the Texans wanted part of it to be incentive-based and Schobel wanted it fully or largely guaranteed. He seems to be perfectly content retiring. Even if the Texans offered him a "fair" deal to him, it might not be enough. If he really is serious about wanting to retire then it's going to take extra dollars on top of a fair contract to get him to come out.

euro-Texan
09-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Awww screw him! He played his whole career in Buffalo, which was perpetually going downhill. He has an opportunity to catch a rising star, if it's all about padding the bank account, than screw him, I'm happy with the pass rush we have. Our ends haven't been the problem anyway. With a little help on the inside Mario, Smith and Barwin will get it done.

hobie
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I find it funny that everyone here is still talking about a guy who was never here, said he was thinking about Houston only because he lives close, but never has come out and actually had any interviews or anything to the press.. People, let this end, if he comes, great, if not, so what. And yet here I am talking about it as well... damn...

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Awww screw him! He played his whole career in Buffalo, which was perpetually going downhill. He has an opportunity to catch a rising star, if it's all about padding the bank account, than screw him, I'm happy with the pass rush we have. Our ends haven't been the problem anyway. With a little help on the inside Mario, Smith and Barwin will get it done.

Repped!!

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I never thought he wouldn't sign.....I just thought he was pulling a Brett Favre without the limelight. I was hearing he should sign today and that the Texans left the contract opened to him. He's got to be feeling it and knows he has a chance to make the playoffs for the first time and with his home team. It don't get any better than that.. Sign that contract boy!:splits:

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM

I mean, to Bob McNair 2 million is nothing. If they gave me 2 million I'd be the craziest pass rusher any of you ever did see. I'd be crawling through OL legs and shit, I'd hit Peyton late helmet to helmet, I'd be a whirlwind of ****-the-Colts!!!!!

Forget Schobel...I want us to sign TIMEKILLA..lmao

Hervoyel
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
This isn't something I'm thinking about anymore. If it happens at some point in the next couple of weeks then fine, if it never does then that's ok too. I really think the one thing the team can do to affect Schobel's desire to play here (whatever level that may be) is to go out and beat the snot out of the Colts.

Stumble out of the gate again and get beat in an embarrassing fashion and who would want to sign on for another season of that junk? He's been in Buffalo for his entire career. He already knows what an endless diet of next years and moral victories tastes like.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/talk_of_schobel_resumes_possible_signing_today/3177099 Not giving up yet...maybe after Sunday....if we beat Indy Sunday we might not need him anyway.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
This isn't something I'm thinking about anymore. If it happens at some point in the next couple of weeks then fine, if it never does then that's ok too. I really think the one thing the team can do to affect Schobel's desire to play here (whatever level that may be) is to go out and beat the snot out of the Colts.

Stumble out of the gate again and get beat in an embarrassing fashion and who would want to sign on for another season of that junk? He's been in Buffalo for his entire career. He already knows what an endless diet of next years and moral victories tastes like.

If we have to have success without him for him to want to get onboard then he can just wait tables at the restaurant.

09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
*sticks fork in chances*

now let's worry about the people who are actually gonna play this season

Cjeremy635
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/talk_of_schobel_resumes_possible_signing_today/3177099 Not giving up yet...maybe after Sunday....if we beat Indy Sunday we might not need him anyway.

Nope, look at the date of that article. It was saying that he was going to sign Monday, which was 2 days ago. It's a non issue at this point. The dude retired, it's over, move on.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Nope, look at the date of that article. It was saying that he was going to sign Monday, which was 2 days ago. It's a non issue at this point. The dude retired, it's over, move on.

You are probably right..lets move on down the field....for another houston texans ..FIRST DOWN!

hobie
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
You are probably right..lets move on down he field....for another houston texans ..FIRST DOWN!

Why did you say that.... God I hate that !!

NitroGSXR
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I think there is going to be an interesting day soon involving our DL but not necessarily Schobel himself.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I think there is going to be an interesting day soon involving our DL but not necessarily Schobel himself.

Nitro yeah...the day we give up on Okoye..lol. I sure hope Okoye is not reading these posts and I happen to run into him one day..lol. I think I'll just run 10 yds and he will quit chasing me.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Why did you say that.... God I hate that !!

Hobie if you hate it here don't ever go to a Panthers home game...they get real creative with it though. Hobie you don't hate first downs huh?

Hervoyel
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
If we have to have success without him for him to want to get onboard then he can just wait tables at the restaurant.

Pro tip for you there man, you have to have success or at least demonstrate that you are taking steps to be successful to attract any free agent who is worth a shit to play on your football team when you're an 8 year old franchise that can't get out of it's own way half the time. We aren't the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, or Bears. Nobody comes to play here because they grew up dreaming of being a Texan or always wanted to experience a "Reliant Leap" into the Bull Pen.

Two things attract good free agents, money and success. You don't think he's going to come back and play because he's broke do you? He isn't stupid and he won't play for incredibly cheap but if he just wanted money then he could have spent another lousy year in Buffalo. That tells me the Texans need to appeal to one of his stated desires; to not be on another loser.

One 9-7 season and people think a guy who knows how to sack QB's can stay home and wait tables at his family's restaurant? Really?

Moot point though, it really is over I suspect.

hobie
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Hobie if you hate it here don't ever go to a Panthers home game...they get real creative with it though. Hobie you don't hate first downs huh?

Not the first downs I dislike..it's just the way they want to celebrate a first down.. I get it, I do, but it is just a first down. Not so sure why it has to be a big deal..
"Come On Man"

Hervoyel
09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Not the first downs I dislike..it's just the way they want to celebrate a first down.. I get it, I do, but it is just a first down. Not so sure why it has to be a big deal..
"Come On Man"

I agree with this. First downs are of course good stuff but we act like they come once a year or something. It's corny to try and get a coordinated fan-cheer for something that they should expect to see regularly. It feels programmed and plastic wrapped like too much of the typical NFL game day experience these days.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
"Come On Man"

I'm really with you on this..I think its corney as hell but I do it anyway at the games...I would rather just celebrate when we score.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Pro tip for you there man, you have to have success or at least demonstrate that you are taking steps to be successful to attract any free agent who is worth a shit to play on your football team when you're an 8 year old franchise that can't get out of it's own way half the time. We aren't the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, or Bears. Nobody comes to play here because they grew up dreaming of being a Texan or always wanted to experience a "Reliant Leap" into the Bull Pen.

Two things attract good free agents, money and success. You don't think he's going to come back and play because he's broke do you? He isn't stupid and he won't play for incredibly cheap but if he just wanted money then he could have spent another lousy year in Buffalo. That tells me the Texans need to appeal to one of his stated desires; to not be on another loser.

One 9-7 season and people think a guy who knows how to sack QB's can stay home and wait tables at his family's restaurant? Really?

Moot point though, it really is over I suspect.

I want the guy on the team but I think we can find our own Schobel in the draft. The guy is probably tired of losing and just doesn't want to play with another losing team. Some guys take the money some guys just want to win....I think he really just wants to win....he could have taken the money in buffalo. If he signs good if he doesn't good.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:44 AM
oh oh

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I got nothing against celebrating first downs. My wife do it in our seats when we're watching from home. I mean, it's not like we DON'T celebrate TDs because we used up all our celebration energy on first downs. We've got lots of unused celebration energy that we'd love to expend.

ubecool454
09-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I got nothing against celebrating first downs. My wife do it in our seats when we're watching from home. I mean, it's not like we DON'T celebrate TDs because we used up all our celebration energy on first downs. We've got lots of unused celebration energy that we'd love to expend.

You think we need some more dancers on the team after TDs....Jacoby Jones is the only one that will get down..lol. Not liking Arian Fosters TD celebration at all.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
DA's string dance, FTW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35og1Ha1q8Q

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
You think we need some more dancers on the team after TDs....Jacoby Jones is the only one that will get down..lol. Not liking Arian Fosters TD celebration at all.

Aw, dude. I love Foster's celebration.

No More 8-8's
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Really? I like it alot. Pretty original too.

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Tired of hearing about Schobel at this point. He's not coming here and he doesn't want to play football anymore. I don't even know if I'd want a guy that doesn't want to keep his diet anymore or want to commit to being a full time player for another season.

I wish people would just let this subject die at this point and stop with the speculation. He has said that he has no desire to play football anymore.

BigBull17
09-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Tired of hearing about Schobel at this point. He's not coming here and he doesn't want to play football anymore. I don't even know if I'd want a guy that doesn't want to keep his diet anymore or want to commit to being a full time player for another season.

I wish people would just let this subject die at this point and stop with the speculation. He has said that he has no desire to play football anymore.

Agreed. Its over and done.

drs23
09-08-2010, 01:58 PM
:deadhorse: again

TimeKiller
09-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Forget Schobel...I want us to sign TIMEKILLA..lmao

hehehe...

I'd be the only player to ever get a personal foul for choking.

Hell if anyone had 2 mil laying around, I would jump onto the field, run to Manning and punch him in the balls!!!!!!

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 08:15 PM
hehehe...

I'd be the only player to ever get a personal foul for choking.

Hell if anyone had 2 mil laying around, I would jump onto the field, run to Manning and punch him in the balls!!!!!!

I support punching Manning in the junk!! Where do I contribute to the fund?

Cjeremy635
09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I support punching Manning in the junk!! Where do I contribute to the fund?

Hell Bill, we just need to hire someone to stab him in the taint.......... :cool:

It's probably not lethal, but it will make him think twice about ever visiting Texas again.

For those who may find the stabbing a little harsh, would you atleast be up for paying someone to grab him in the taint with a solid pair of channel locks?

HouSportsWriter
09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/aaron-schobel-think-im-done.html

NFL NEWS. Aaron Schobel: "Think I'm Done."
Just talked to former TCU and Buffalo Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel, who after pondering whether he wanted to play this NFL season has decided he's done with the game.
The 33-year-old two-time Pro Bowler from Columbus, Texas battled for the past month whether he wanted to play again, most likely with the Houston Texans, but he sounds like a man who has come to terms with his decision.
A second-round draft pick of the Bills out of TCU in 2001, Schobel was twice selected to the NFL's Pro Bowl. He appeared in 16 games in seven of his eight NFL seasons, including 2009 when he had 10 sacks, one interception and one touchdown.

Mac Engel: Are you going to play this season?
Aaron Schobel: Looks like I am done, yeah I think I'm done.

ME: What was the deciding factor in your decision?
AS: I was fed up and sick of it. I just got to the point where I didn't really want to be coached any more, and I was tired of all the rah-rah stuff that went with it.

ME: You sound like a guy who hates the game now.
AS: No, no. Not at all. I love football. I really do. There are a lot of parts of the game I love and that I'm going to miss for sure. It's like anything that you do that is hard; when you do something well, it's a great feeling.

ME: When did you know that you might be done with playing?
AS: Probably after my eighth year. That was when I got hurt and said I'd play one more year after that. I had to come back from that after I missed so much time (he appeared in five games in '08). But I think when I got away from the game when I was injured I realized that maybe this wasn't as important as I thought it was. It's important, don't get me wrong, but when I was away I realized there are other things that are important, too.
It's nothing against the game, it was just where I was at that point in time. I do understand why so many people take it so seriously. But it wore on me; after a loss you go into the locker room and everybody so sad. That's hard, but for the most part people kept it positive. It might have been better had we been on a winning team where everybody wasn't so worried about their jobs, but that's part of it.
I stressed about it, sure. You worry if you're not getting double-digit sacks. What are people thinking? As a competitor you want to put up numbers and when you don't it's stressful. One week you get two sacks, the next week nothing and you think, 'What is going on here?'

ME: Do you think you would have wanted to keep playing had the Bills had more success on the field?
AS: I loved Buffalo. Loved it. I don't know if that would have made a difference.

ME: Do you have any idea what you may pursue now?
AS: Not really. I think these last couple of three weeks I realized I wasn't going to keep playing. I haven't played in eight months so I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I do like the land, and maybe I'll get into something as far as developing the land.

ME: You had a big part of the resurgence of TCU football when you played; do you still follow the team?
AS: Oh yeah. All the time. I think they're going to be really good. They can put up points. There are some things that could be better, but that's like every team.

ME: You played football for most of your life, how do you look back at your career?
AS: You know, I am proud of what I did. I think at every level I got better. I don't think I had a limit. I kept improving. When I had athletic ability, I was pretty good. When the athletic ability started to go I was still effective because I knew the game more. I don't think I ever backed down from a situation. There were times when people said, 'It's too hard.' I never did, and there were days when I wanted to. Two-a-days. Training camp. There were times when I really did want to stop but I didn't

ME: Is there any chance you would play again?
AS: I really don't know. I think it's pretty final.

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/aaron-schobel-think-im-done.html#ixzz0yzaBBR7f

this part has me thanking god he did not sign

"ME: What was the deciding factor in your decision?
AS: I was fed up and sick of it. I just got to the point where I didn't really want to be coached any more, and I was tired of all the rah-rah stuff that went with it."

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Hell Bill, we just need to hire someone to stab him in the taint.......... :cool:

It's probably not lethal, but it will make him think twice about ever visiting Texas again.

For those who may find the stabbing a little harsh, would you atleast be up for paying someone to grab him in the taint with a solid pair of channel locks?

Ooooh dude!! Really??!??! You went to the stabbing of the taint card.

Why, whenever I read that I turn into Boo Weekley and think that will "make your butthole pucker up"??

gary
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I wanted him here but the Texans will roll with who they have and win baby. Oh, well life goes on.

michaelm
09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I know that I have the ability to put other members on ignore on TexansTalk, but can I put threads on ignore?
If so, bye bye Schobel thread...

Don't get too comfortable Leinart thread... I'm lookin' at you, too...