View Full Version : Texans agree to terms with Matt Leinart

Pages : 1 [2] 3

SheTexan
09-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, at least he's CUTE!! (sorry, just had to say that!):):smooch:

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Well, at least he's CUTE!! (sorry, just had to say that!):):smooch:

So you're saying that you wouldn't kick him out of the hot tub. :)

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Seriously, I don't know why so many people are complaining.....it's a one year deal (which means they can cut him at any time) and it's not like we currently have better options at that position.

I agree. He gave Carr the entire year, because of McNair, I doubt Lienart would get as long. If he's truly as detached from the game as they say he has been in Arizona, I doubt he makes the month of September.

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Think about this: maybe he just needs a change. Maybe there was a personality difference with coaches, we won't know for sure for awhile. I remember a guy we signed last year who was in the doghouse with his coaches. I personally believe he was our defensive MVP last season. Sometimes a guy just needs to be around different people. At least give him a chance.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
As a fan it's easy to ***** about this decision. However, we have a QB minded head coach. Kubiak clearly wanted Leinert. Why else did we jump so quickly? One year to see what the kid's got, then we cut bait or extend him. It's not like Leinert will have numerous takers after spending a year holding a clipboard.

Let's give him a chance to earn the backup role. If he pulls a Carr and doesn't have the work ethic, then the Texans will send him packing.

I would bet Kubiak & Knapp & Smith all looked at Lienart the third week of the preseason, when he was unseated as the starter. I bet they looked at game film from way back, probably even back to his USC days.

I bet they identified issues, and discussed whether those issues could be fixed or not, lastly I bet they talked to Frank Bush at least, to find out what he thought of Matt as a pro, and if he liked him as a football player.

PapaL
09-06-2010, 02:09 PM
QB Danny Wuerffel.............How did that work out for us?:kitten:

Dayne in 1999

PapaL
09-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Can he play TE?

He's the backup (to the backup?), let him sit on the bench and enjoy the ride.

ChampionTexan
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the acquisition when it was in the rumor stage, and the fact that it's now reality doesn't change that.

I will add however, that I disagree with the comparisons to Carr. The main reason that they're compared is obvious. High draft pick, instant starter (Well, 4th game in the case of Leinart), results way way less than expectations.

Let's look at the differences.

Carr ended up playing for the HC that drafted him for four years. He played for the OC that drafted him for 3+ years. He never was seriously challenged for the starting job (almost definitely by design). He had 60 starts to show what he could do, and to learn his craft - he didn't do either very well. He proved that he hadn't learned much with the Texans with a horrible stop at Carolina as their backup QB. He pretty much proved that he wasn't even a marginal QB after 6 years in the league.

Leinart won 4 games in 11 starts for a team that had been 5-11 the year before he was drafted. He then saw the HC (and offensive guru) that drafted him fired after his rookie season. By the 3rd game of his 2nd season, his new HC was platooning at QB, and by the 5th game, he'd gotten injured and was out for the season. He started one more game in his career with the Cardinals. After 16 starts - only 11 of which were for the HC that drafted him, he was sent on his way.

One other thing - lots of comments have been made about Leinart not being willing to accept the backup role, and him being very vocal about wanting to be a starter. Well, he served 31 games in the backup role in Arizona after starting 16 of his first 21 games there. I don't ever remember hearing anything prior to this preseason about him being unwilling to accept the backup role. That's what he's been for the last half of his pro career, yet during the time that Arizona had a clearly identified starter (as the Texans do with Schaub), he did nothing but fill the role he was expected to fill with no rocking of the boat (as far as we know).

You can easily argue that his release from the Cardinals had more to do with his relationship with his teammates and his coach than it did his physical talent. Yeah, that's potentially as big a problem - if not bigger - than physical talent, but a change of scenery provide far more potential to change your relationship with your teammates, your HC, and yourself than it does to increase the amount of physical talent you possess.

Marcus
09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I wish Kubiak would have called me first to discuss this deal in more detail before signing Matt #2. I have some real concerns.

lol: Now THAT's funny.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Jeff Garcia is a asshat and a diva...

He's playing semi-pro ball NOT because he can't get a job in the NFL....there are a ton of teams that would love to have him as a backup (and we're probably one of them), but the reason why he's playing semi-pro ball is because the man wants to be a starter and the word on the street is he divides locker rooms and is somewhat of a cancer when he's not the starter.

No thanks to Jeff Garcia. I'll gladly sign his wife to a 1 night contract though. :)

I would love for Carmella Decesare to come to town!! :runaway:

gtexan02
09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I like the signing. Leinart got booted from AZ because of attitude issues. he didn't want to be the backup on a team he believed he should be starting for.

He's coming in here as the 3rd string guy. he knows his role. If he gets called, Ive got loads more confidence in him than I have had in many of our past 3rd string guys. Alex Brink anyoen?

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
When names like Steve Young, Kenny Stabler, Boomer Esiasonim Zorn even Michael Vick are brought up, I have to point out that all of these QBs were known for their superior "scrambling" abilities. Stabler earned his nickname “The Snake” for his running and scrambling ability while in high school and strongly carried his tradition into the NFL.

I have a difficult time of putting Leinart next to these names. And if the whole point of this acquisition is to have someone that can improve our backup status, why are we talking about seeing if we can improve his sultry reputation during the year so that he can bolster his value, inevitably for another team next year. THIS year is what is most important for our 1st playoff spot ever. So now we're going to work on a QB's attitude problems and poor preparation habits, while trying to teach him OUR system.........and all this, with no benefit of OTA, TC or preseason experience............oh, unless he is thrown into a real game for the first time if the unthinkable......... Schaub goes down.

If he simply, as someone else aluded to "pulls a Lohan" with a successful good boy act (which certainly leaves more than some doubt), I hope no one is under the grand delusion that Leinart won't take the 1st train out of Houston given the opportunity to start somewhere else come next spring. If he can pull off a "quiet" season, there will be some "sucker" team that thinks that once he gets back into a starter's spotlight, he won't revert back to his old "I'm entitled" act.

Of course, this is JMHO.

GP
09-06-2010, 03:30 PM
When names like Steve Young, Kenny Stabler, Boomer Esiason, and even Michael Vick are brought up, I have to point out that all of these QBs were known for their superior "scrambling" abilities. Stabler earned his nickname “The Snake” for his running and scrambling ability while in high school and strongly carried his tradition into the NFL.

I have a difficult time of putting Leinart next to these names. And if the whole point of this acquisition is to have someone that can improve our backup status, why are we talking about seeing if we can improve his sultry reputation during the year so that he can bolster his value, inevitably for another team next year. THIS year is what is most important for our 1st playoff spot ever. So now we're going to work on a QB's attitude problems and poor preparation habits, while trying to teach him OUR system.........and all this, with no benefit of OTA, TC or preseason experience............oh, unless he is thrown into a real game for the first time if the unthinkable......... Schaub goes down.

If he simply, as someone else aluded to "pulls a Lohan" with a successful good boy act (which certainly leaves more than some doubt), I hope no one is under the grand delusion that Leinart won't take the 1st train out of Houston given the opportunity to start somewhere else come next spring. If he can pull off a "quiet" season, there will be some "sucker" team that thinks that once he gets back into a starter's spotlight, he won't revert back to his old "I'm entitled" act.

Of course, this is JMHO.

That was me with the Lohan reference, and the rest of your analysis is exactly what I stated earlier. And it WILL end up happening.

He knew he had zero chance to go somewhere and be a starter. So he buries himself on a team that's looks very good. A team that has enough talent to drag him over the finish line if he ever has to come in and wing it.

Hell, the fact that it's a one-year contract indicates (a) Matt Leinart is making no big secret that he won't sit behind a starter for longer than a year, and (b) that Kubiak also knows this to be the case.

It's a one-year bromance.

Just having to look at his smug face on the sideline is what makes me the angriest, to tell everyone the truth about how I feel. It's a non-signing in my opinion. It's like working somewhere and the boss introduces you to Hank, a guy who just got out of prison and has to work with you as part of a rehabilitation plan that your boss enrolled into. You know the guy is just sandbagging it, and yet there's nothing you can do about it but smile and act like you're cool with it.

And I'd rather have Orlovsky than Leinart. It's the difference between a pimple and a full-blown ingrown hair on your ass. You hate 'em both, but one is easier to deal with than the other.

gtexan02
09-06-2010, 03:33 PM
The USC 2006 draft class looks weaker by the day :)

In a year or two, we could end up with a load of the top 10 2006 class on our team

I was part of the Leinart or D'Brickshaw crowd in 06. Ouch

BSofA04
09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I would bet Kubiak & Knapp & Smith all looked at Lienart the third week of the preseason, when he was unseated as the starter. I bet they looked at game film from way back, probably even back to his USC days.

I bet they identified issues, and discussed whether those issues could be fixed or not, lastly I bet they talked to Frank Bush at least, to find out what he thought of Matt as a pro, and if he liked him as a football player.
I agree with you. Kubiak, Dennison and Knapp probably saw something they liked and could fix. Perhaps they saw somebody who was a better player than what we currently have in Danny-O.

So, are they going to do a press conference today?

Brando
09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Matt Leinart not a bad idea for Texans
Gary Kubiak is a capable quarterback developer.

Much of Matt Schaub’s success is thanks to his Kubiak’s mentoring. Say what you will about Sage Rosenfels, but he was a more valuable quarterback when the Texans dealt him away than when they got him. Rex Grossman’s year in Houston allowed him to revive his career as a backup and move on to Washington.

Dan Orlovsky, however, has been a dud. We hear from Kubiak about what a good camp he’s had and how a couple really bad decisions in preseason games aren’t enough to wash it away. But the fact is, as with the vast majority of teams, if the starter goes down the Texans are in trouble.

Enter Matt Leinart.

He won't cure anything now for the Texans -- he needs rebuilding. But Kubiak and quarterback coach Greg Knapp can work with Leinart behind the scenes and try "fix" him. I think it starts with a combination confidence and realization of the work that needs to be done, and I think they can do good work in those departments.

Seems to me it's not a particularly risky investment and could have a lot of upside. He surely didn't get big dollars. If they can turn him around, they’ll have a guy to bump Orlovsky down, or off, the depth chart.

If not, they’d have lost only a little money and time.

Paul Kuharsky (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/14713/matt-leinart-not-a-bad-idea-for-texans)

Absolutely makes sense.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Paul Kuharsky (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/14713/matt-leinart-not-a-bad-idea-for-texans)

Absolutely makes sense.

This risk is ending up with NO decent backup QB at all.

Cjeremy635
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
It doesn't make a difference to me. We're not asking the guy to come in and compete for a starting spot. If he pans out as a decent back-up, so be it. If not, adios. No harm, no foul. If we're able to bring him along though, then sign him to an extension, we may be able to have some trade bait to dangle out there next season or the one after. You never know, but if we could turn him around, we may be able to get a 2nd or 3rd for him. It's a longshot, but you never know what will happen down the road. I don't want him starting here, but he may be our Shaub to someone else, you just can't tell. Regardless, I still think we need to address our #2 QB next offseason. Preferably a righty, so nothing has to be changed with the line.

Brando
09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
This risk is ending up with NO decent backup QB at all.

We didn't have one before we signed him so I guess it's a no lose situation.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I found the "comment section" of this Leinart signing article some absolutely hilarious comic relief (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-leinart)

TheMatrix31
09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
No harm , no foul? I like to have confidence in the ability for my backup QB to come in and perform just in CASE my starter gets hurt. I know he's going to be a third-stringer (to start out with) and Orallove-sky sucks too (pun intended) but, ah I don't know man.

It's definitely important.

GP
09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
i found the "comment section" of this leinart signing article some absolutely hilarious comic relief (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-leinart)

otto graham is better than leinart right now.

lol.

GP
09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
He's already in the Texans media guide. Man, that was quick!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVz6vgkXAxPdIVialkEAyWU5qgaBpoM 0r-Zsal3o2FsDdNYHs&t=1&usg=__52Rqc-KrNIexWWq9OcWzg1W7RNY=

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 04:34 PM
lol.

My favorite:):

Leinart is Joe Namath without the arm, career, Superbowl ring, mental and physical toughness, and sense of leadership. Otherwise, clearly another Joe Namath. (note: sarcasm)

TexansFanatic
09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey, he may be an uber-douche, but he's our uber-douche now.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:fzzIpZdcic-oCM:http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/11785/2002140190165997350_rs.jpg&t=1

JB
09-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I found the "comment section" of this Leinart signing article some absolutely hilarious comic relief (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-leinart)

Leinart wil be way better than Peyton Manning and Joe Montana.. give him a chance people.. he needs the right system.

:lol:

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I bet he throws a better party than Manning or Montana.

I bet he finds his way down to Treasures soon after landing in Houston. Anyone here want to be his guide?

GP
09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Geez I still can't believe Smithiak bought into this.

Is this a wager between Smith and Kubiak? Like the movie "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy? Has to be.

Is it nature or nurture? I hope we never have to find out.

RagingBull
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
This whole thing is like Deja Vu from when Grossman was signed last year. I suspect that it will end up exactly the same as last year as well.

Mr teX
09-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Kinda mixed on this decision. I don't think he got a fair shake in AZ mainly b/c he wasn't wisenhunt's guy & wisenhunt never really backed him; even when he tried to appear like he was backing during the offseason this year. Say what you want about that, but that's a big deal for any starting player especially a qb.

At the same time, something had to be done about "Or-lousy", Lienart's work ethic hasn't exactly been stellar, and if your teammates have lost faith in you (or at least it's been reported that Fitzgerald wasn't all that confident in him)...

I liken his situation alot to what happened to Andre Ware in Detroit..

nut
09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Leinart stinks. Why do we bring in bums like this?

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Last year, I didn't want Sexy Rexy. This year, I don't want Matt Leinart.

Overall, I guess it doesn't matter except that it means that Dan Orlovsky, a guy I thought had a lot of potential, isn't getting it.

At least we didn't bring in Jamarcus Russell.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Leinart stinks. Why do we bring in bums like this?

Because at this stage in the game (a couple of days before the season starts), that's all there is out there.

Seriously I don't understand why people are so critical of this move. We needed another arm, now we have one......there wasn't alot available out there.

If this gets Orlovsky cut, even better. This is a situation that we're just going to have to deal with until next offseason where we can once again, try to find a long term solution to our back up QB spot.

This next draft has alot of QB talent.......I wouldn't mind spending a mid round pick on one to develop.

hradhak
09-06-2010, 05:30 PM
What bothers me about this signing is that we cut a guy in JDB, who, admittedly, was not very good, but at least had a better attitude about being a QB and showed some promise. Why bring in a guy like Leinart when you have a capable guy in JDB who already knows your system and has a better attitude.

The saddest thing is that we're subsidizing this SOB while he comes in here. God knows he doesn't care whether he learns the system or not, he's gonna collect a fat paycheck and he's already set for life.

We should have just passed on him and let the inevitable happen....Leinart's gonna be out of the league next year, why not just let it happen now.

BullNation4Life
09-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Because at this stage in the game (a couple of days before the season starts), that's all there is out there.

Seriously I don't understand why people are so critical of this move. We needed another arm, now we have one......there wasn't alot available out there.

If this gets Orlovsky cut, even better. This is a situation that we're just going to have to deal with until next offseason where we can try to find a long term solution to our back up QB spot.

I agree, Super low risk-High reward. If Kubiak does for Leinart what he did for Plummer back int he day, he looks like a genius, if not, he cuts a former Heisman Trophy winning flop at little to no cost....

BullNation4Life
09-06-2010, 05:35 PM
You know whats funny about this whole thread... We fans are debating on the signing of a 3rd String QB instead of starters....

Gotta say, that makes things move a little.....Means the team is pretty solid....

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 05:39 PM
What bothers me about this signing is that we cut a guy in JDB, who, admittedly, was not very good, but at least had a better attitude about being a QB and showed some promise. Why bring in a guy like Leinart when you have a capable guy in JDB who already knows your system and has a better attitude.

The saddest thing is that we're subsidizing this SOB while he comes in here. God knows he doesn't care whether he learns the system or not, he's gonna collect a fat paycheck and he's already set for life.

We should have just passed on him and let the inevitable happen....Leinart's gonna be out of the league next year, why not just let it happen now.

So now everybody knows everything about Leinart.

People start saying he's lazy and doesn't care about football and then it becomes fact. :rolleyes:

For somebody who doesn't care about football or someone who just wants a "free ride" on another team....he sure wasn't happy about not getting the starting job in Arizona. That doesn't make sense to me, the guy wants a free ride, is lazy, doesn't care about learning the system, but then openly gets upset and makes statements to the press in frustration when he doesn't get the starting job. Sorry, but that sounds like someone who atleast cares a little.

The truth of the matter is we really don't know jack about about where Leinart is right now mentally.

Big Lou
09-06-2010, 05:39 PM
You know whats funny about this whole thread... We fans are debating on the signing of a 3rd String QB instead of starters....

Gotta say, that makes things move a little.....Means the team is pretty solid....

This is exactly what I have been thinking since the rumors surfaced. Whats next debating which H2O Tech is the best?!?!?!?!?!

:slapfight:

nut
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Leinart was brought in to AZ as the can't miss franchise guy for a bunch of coin. They shitcan him when they need him this year after paying all that dough. What's wrong with this picture? We always pass on guys that are good because the FO says they ate not boy scouts. If we're going to bring in a jackass why don't we bring in a jerk that can play?

mariowillshine15
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
This is exactly what I have been thinking since the rumors surfaced. Whats next debating which H2O Tech is the best?!?!?!?!?!

We could bring in this guy

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2008/03/20/1206047142_1333.jpg

He could also fill in for Cushing while he's out.

Just talk about his momma i dare you.

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2008/03/20/1206047142_1333.jpg

Something must be wrong with your medulla oblongata...

GP
09-06-2010, 06:02 PM
For somebody who doesn't care about football or someone who just wants a "free ride" on another team....he sure wasn't happy about not getting the starting job in Arizona. That doesn't make sense to me, the guy wants a free ride, is lazy, doesn't care about learning the system, but then openly gets upset and makes statements to the press in frustration when he doesn't get the starting job. Sorry, but that sounds like someone who atleast cares a little.

The truth of the matter is we really don't know jack about about where Leinart is right now mentally.

Of course he was angry about not being "The Guy" in Arizona.

When you're staring down the barrel of the "I just got demoted and replaced by Derrick Anderson" gun, you're going to be upset about it. Because it's a reflection of how bad you suck. It's a wake-up call.

And now we get to be a part of his drama. We've co-signed on Leinart's career.

A lot of us just think it's hilarious, to tell you the truth. There's players who show flashes of promise. Do you really sense that in Leinart? Or is it the allure of his college years and that maybe he's not as bad as he has shown?

Our Plan B for QBs and RBs could cost us this year. It really could. All the tight ends and WRs in the world cannot counter a shaky backup QB and RB situation. I'm just nowhere near the idea that Leinart is an acceptable backup in this league.

What's also funny is that several teams are ridding themselves of guys you'd never think would be cut this soon in their careers: Houshmanzadeh, Leinart, etc. I've seen a lot of guys hit the curb and yet other teams can't control themselves from scooping them up off waivers. It's like fantasy football: "Ooh! Someone let HIM go? Oh man, this is waiver wire heaven right here!!!"

Nobody could work out a trade for him, not even a 7th rounder. Wouldn't you take at least a 7th rounder rather than get nothing at all? And we seem to have been bidding against only one other team. Maybe even against ourselves the whole time.

It's bizarre, and a lot of fans feel that way. Not just me.

GP
09-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Leinart was brought in to AZ as the can't miss franchise guy for a bunch of coin. They shitcan him when they need him this year after paying all that dough. What's wrong with this picture? We always pass on guys that are good because the FO says they ate not boy scouts. If we're going to bring in a jackass why don't we bring in a jerk that can play?

Like Cedric Benson?

Larry Johnson?

Thomas Jones?

LT? Though he's not remotely a "jackass."

One does wonder why certain guys get a pass and others are not even a blip on our radar.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Lienart's work ethic hasn't exactly been stellar....

This throws up the biggest question mark to me. We know what a stickler Kubiak is for players "acting" like a pro, and putting in the work.

If the rumors about Matt's work ethic is true, why would he bring him in for a 1 year deal? why would he bring him in at all?

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 06:12 PM

When you're staring down the barrel of the "I just got demoted and replaced by Derrick Anderson" gun, you're going to be upset about it. Because it's a reflection of how bad you suck. It's a wake-up call.

A lot of us just think it's hilarious, to tell you the truth. There's players who show flashes of promise. Do you really sense that in Leinart? Or is it the allure of his college years and that maybe he's not as bad as he has shown?

Our Plan B for QBs and RBs could cost us this year. It really could. All the tight ends and WRs in the world cannot counter a shaky backup QB and RB situation. I'm just nowhere near the idea that Leinart is an acceptable backup in this league.

What's also funny is that several teams are ridding themselves of guys you'd never think would be cut this soon in their careers: Houshmanzadeh, Leinart, etc. I've seen a lot of guys hit the curb and yet other teams can't control themselves from scooping them up off waivers. It's like fantasy football: "Ooh! Someone let HIM go? Oh man, this is waiver wire heaven right here!!!"

Nobody could work out a trade for him, not even a 7th rounder. Wouldn't you take at least a 7th rounder rather than get nothing at all? And we seem to have been bidding against only one other team. Maybe even against ourselves the whole time.

That usually happens when new coaches come in (Whisenhunt and Carroll)..they get rid of the players they feel don't fit what they want to do.

And I also think you got misinterpreted my view on Leinart.......in no way shape or form do I think he's the "answer". We don't have the answer on roster, which is why I want them to draft a guy next season.

El Tejano
09-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Like Cedric Benson?

Larry Johnson?

Thomas Jones?

One does wonder why certain guys get a pass and others are not even a blip on our radar.

Or dare I say...Vince Young. Alot of people mentioned the race card before and quickly got thrown under the bus.

I believe however, that this was a marketing thing though. You see what kind of media Brian Cushing got you, now Leinhart is on your team and ESPN talks about you a bit more.

As for the signing, I got a wait and see feel to this. Something tells me that Leinhart was a Dennis Green draft pick and Wisenhunt didn't want him any more. I've also seen that Leinhart has had the team in several winning positions but their D couldn't hold anyone off (ex. The Bears Game aka Dennis Green They Are Who We Thought They Were and last year against Tennessee.)

So we know we got a backup that has played before.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 06:15 PM
of course he was angry about not being "the guy" in arizona.

When you're staring down the barrel of the "i just got demoted and replaced by derrick anderson" gun, you're going to be upset about it. Because it's a reflection of how bad you suck. It's a wake-up call.

And now we get to be a part of his drama. We've co-signed on leinart's career.

A lot of us just think it's hilarious, to tell you the truth. There's players who show flashes of promise. Do you really sense that in leinart? Or is it the allure of his college years and that maybe he's not as bad as he has shown?

Our plan b for qbs and rbs could cost us this year. It really could. All the tight ends and wrs in the world cannot counter a shaky backup qb and rb situation. I'm just nowhere near the idea that leinart is an acceptable backup in this league.

What's also funny is that several teams are ridding themselves of guys you'd never think would be cut this soon in their careers: Houshmanzadeh, leinart, etc. I've seen a lot of guys hit the curb and yet other teams can't control themselves from scooping them up off waivers. It's like fantasy football: "ooh! Someone let him go? Oh man, this is waiver wire heaven right here!!!"

nobody could work out a trade for him, not even a 7th rounder. Wouldn't you take at least a 7th rounder rather than get nothing at all? And we seem to have been bidding against only one other team. Maybe even against ourselves the whole time.

^^^^^^^^^^^this

Carr Bombed
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Like Cedric Benson?

Larry Johnson?

Thomas Jones?

What about Bernard Pollard?

And I think the reason why they passed on Jones and LT was because they've been burned way too many times with older RBs.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
And I think the reason why they passed on Jones and LT was because they've been burned way too many times with older RBs.

Makes sense with LT, he's been hurt so often in his career.

But Thomas Jones just gets better with age. He's not the big play maker, but rather Mr. Consistent. He'll get you 1000 yards, and he'll get those tough yards.

But hey, we've got Derrick Ward. He's broke a thousand yards once in his short career.

Mr teX
09-06-2010, 06:26 PM
First of all, every team's "plan b" can cost them at any position depending on who it is. The colts lived with Jim Sorgi as a back-up for years & now have Curtis Painter. You think Chase McDaniel is gonna run that Saints offense like Brees can?

From what i've seen of the kid, he doesn't do anything eye-popping, but he seems to be solid as a decision maker as long as he is protected well enough..unlike Orlovsky. His problems stem from his arm strength being of little league caliber...which he supposedly worked on in the offseason with Carson Palmer. Having said that, that was the knock on schaub & kubes has done a great job with him. If he can fill in for a couple of games here & there & stay away from the Rosencopter/Orlovsky idiotic decisions, he'll be fine for us.

When he started a few games for Green, he didn't look all that bad to me...especially for a rookie. Green gets canned the next year i believe, he is assumed to be the heir apparent but Wisenhunt has other plans & the rest is history. I hjonestly believe wisenhunt wanted to get rid of him from the moment he stepped into AZ & maybe Leinart sensed that.

But its like others have been saying, This signing is a low risk, high reward type deal... but it will only work if he accepts Kubes' tuteledge & his role as a back-up in this league b/c i honestly don't think anyone's gonna give him another shot at becoming a starter.

Koolaid Time
09-06-2010, 06:29 PM

The only winner in this entire situation is the blonde former USC basketball player that is Matt's "Baby-Momma".

She still gets to collect the child support check.

El Tejano
09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey, if Az has to pick up the check on him, why not go for a guy like Leinhart. You pay hiim a small one year deal, he gets his fat check from Arizona. In the meantime, I'm happy knowing that Kubes saw our backups and realized something needed to be done and didn't wait til mid way through the year to do something about it.

TheDrifter
09-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I dont understand what people think we were suppose to find in a backup QB. Of the 32 of them, how many are NOT woefully inexperienced, washouts or wash uped?

Of last years playoff teams, Id argue strongly 10 of the 12 would have seen a major dropoff if they'd been forced into plan B at QB. That didnt make them bad teams. That made them normal for the NFL.

Seeing as how the Super Bowl runner up and team that thumps us every fricken year has the worst backup in the league...Im not gonna freak over Matt Leinart being the back up to the back up.

And Im really confused about where we are suppose to find a guy who can come in and run the offense without a drop off. I mean, they exist, but as starters on other teams.

Im not a Leinart fan either, but this is an awful lot of whining over the 3rd string QB.

Koolaid Time
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey, if Az has to pick up the check on him, why not go for a guy like Leinhart. You pay hiim a small one year deal, he gets his fat check from Arizona. In the meantime, I'm happy knowing that Kubes saw our backups and realized something needed to be done and didn't wait til mid way through the year to do something about it.

Bob Allen just reported the reason the Cards cut Leinart lose is that he didn't study the Playbook and wasn't a leader.

Kubiak better have read him the Riot Act then.

Lucky
09-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Two problems Matt Leinart had in Arizona. One, Leinart was drafted by Denny Green. He was never Ken Whisenhut's guy. As long as Leinart was there, Whisenhut would never be able to go out and get his kind of QB.

The 2nd problem Leinart had in Arizona? He isn't a good NFL QB. That's not likely to change in Houston.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I bet he throws a better party than Manning or Montana.

I bet he finds his way down to Treasures soon after landing in Houston. Anyone here want to be his guide?

I dunno man, that Peyton is a wild one.... :rolleyes:

If so, I might pay for a dance.

GP
09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
The only winner in this entire situation is the blonde former USC basketball player that is Matt's "Baby-Momma".

She still gets to collect the child support check.

Bingo.

spurstexanstros
09-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Hate to break it to ya but.....Leinart was brought in to be the backup because the idea of having Dan Overthrow as the backup was keeping people up at night. I know he ran out of the endzone and into some fans hearts doesnt mean anyone felt safe with him if Schaub went down.

Leinart has won NFL games.....how many has DanO won?

Debate over in my mind.

Smithiak are doing all they can to show they are putting the best 53 out there.

Imagine the outcry against management if Matt Schaub went down and Dan O remembered he was Dan "Saftey Dance" Orlovsky and not the John Elway of the motor city peoiple on here claimed he was. They now have a qb who was a winner in college and if you go by TT logic then that is the only criteria for a qb. ( see draft vince threads)

I can now sleep easy knowing that DanO is not the only safeguard at the Texans most important position.

Joe Texan
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
If anybody can change Matt I think err hope Kubes Can

GNTLEWOLF
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
First of all, every team's "plan b" can cost them at any position depending on who it is. The colts lived with Jim Sorgi as a back-up for years & now have Curtis Painter. You think Chase McDaniel is gonna run that Saints offense like Brees can?

From what i've seen of the kid, he doesn't do anything eye-popping, but he seems to be solid as a decision maker as long as he is protected well enough..unlike Orlovsky. His problems stem from his arm strength being of little league caliber...which he supposedly worked on in the offseason with Carson Palmer. Having said that, that was the knock on schaub & kubes has done a great job with him. If he can fill in for a couple of games here & there & stay away from the Rosencopter/Orlovsky idiotic decisions, he'll be fine for us.

When he started a few games for Green, he didn't look all that bad to me...especially for a rookie. Green gets canned the next year i believe, he is assumed to be the heir apparent but Wisenhunt has other plans & the rest is history. I hjonestly believe wisenhunt wanted to get rid of him from the moment he stepped into AZ & maybe Leinart sensed that.

But its like others have been saying, This signing is a low risk, high reward type deal... but it will only work if he accepts Kubes' tuteledge & his role as a back-up in this league b/c i honestly don't think anyone's gonna give him another shot at becoming a starter.

For the life of me, I don't get what this "high reward" is for having signed Leinart. As he stands now he is a bust. I was sick to my stomach when I heard the news on Mike and Mike this morning. The only reward that can come is if Kubiak can somehow work a miracle with this guy and resurrect his carreer and get trade value from him. Other wise this is just a waste of money and roster spot. I don't see it. And I have watched him play. He can't hit the broad side of a barn.

nut
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
How is Kubiak going to turn this bum into something he isn't? That's what you said about DC.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Two problems Matt Leinart had in Arizona. One, Leinart was drafted by Denny Green. He was never Ken Whisenhut's guy. As long as Leinart was there, Whisenhut would never be able to go out and get his kind of QB.

The 2nd problem Leinart had in Arizona? He isn't a good NFL QB. That's not likely to change in Houston.

And he's never been interested in PRACTICE.............I mean, it's just PRACTICE.........It's PRACTICE........:cool:

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
How is Kubiak going to turn this bum into something he isn't? That's what you said about DC.

Nut, brother, you have some sort of personal problem with Leinart? Catch him hottubbing with the wife before or something?

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM

But something is wrong with his medulla oblongata!!

Dwade
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Leinart is an arrogant douche that got cut by Arizona...we don't need him. :cutthroat:

Mr teX
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
For the life of me, I don't get what this "high reward" is for having signed Leinart. As he stands now he is a bust. I was sick to my stomach when I heard the news on Mike and Mike this morning. The only reward that can come is if Kubiak can somehow work a miracle with this guy and resurrect his carreer and get trade value from him. Other wise this is just a waste of money and roster spot. I don't see it. And I have watched him play. He can't hit the broad side of a barn.

high relative to our situation..... combined with what you said, it is high from the perspective of having nothing in Dan O./JDB to a guy who at least has won a few games in this league.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Start Matt!!!!

:kitten:

JB
09-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Start Matt!!!!

:kitten:

Matt is starting. The good Matt, not the other kind...

nut
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
The guy stinks. No-one else in the league considered hm except Seattle. That is what I don't like about it. A guy with a handle like yours is looking through rose colored glasses and is not pissed off we haven't been to the playoffs yet. You probably think winning meaningless games at the end of the year makes a difference after the season has already been lost months before.

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Hopefully Texans fans give Leinart a chance. Kinda like they did HWNSNBM or K.Brown.

Try to judge him by what you see of him as a Texan. Not for what he did as a Card. Be fair in your judgements.

This move spoke volumes of Kubes confidence in Dan O.

Coach Kevin
09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Man I've read what all the nay Sayers have to say but bottom line is he a Texan now and he has my support so GOOD LUCK MATT your now my favorite 3rd string qb

Mr teX
09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Sometimes things like this change guys' perspective and attitude about the game. Exhibit A: bernard pollard. the guy went from an arrogant high draft pick to a street FA. the whole ordeal humbled the guy & helped him rededicate himself as a pro. Plus, if we had listened to some of the rumors about this guy before we picked him up, who knows where we would've been as a defense. Hell, NFL rb's might still be running right now.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
The guy stinks. No-one else in the league considered hm except Seattle. That is what I don't like about it. A guy with a handle like yours is looking through rose colored glasses and is not pissed off we haven't been to the playoffs yet. You probably think winning meaningless games at the end of the year makes a difference after the season has already been lost months before.

Ouch...

It's a one year deal. If CoachK doesn't like what he sees after the first month or so, we can cut him & it would cost us nothing. Worse case scenario, if something happens to Shaub, we send DanO out there to save the day. Best case scenario, we send someone better.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
A just reported very sobering tale from NFL.com

Leinart has tough sell to change perceptions about his game By Steve Wyche (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a510ca/printable/leinart-has-tough-sell-to-change-perceptions-about-his-game)NFL.com
Senior Writer
David Stluka / Associated Press

Matt Leinart will have to be a self-starter to improve with limited reps behind starter Matt Schaub in Houston.

Matt Leinart's NFL options looked bleak after being cut this weekend by the Arizona Cardinals, but the Houston Texans stepped forward and signed the deposed Cardinals quarterback to a one-year deal, perhaps saving his career, even if momentarily. Leinart is going to a situation that will show he either wasn't in an ideal system for his skill set, or that he simply isn't an NFL starter.

Though there is a good chance Leinart will never see game time behind highly-productive starter Matt Schaub, he will be learning a system that could help him overcome his shortcomings -- or further expose them (that is, if he doesn't end up running scout team behind Dan Orlovsky).

The Texans run a timing-based system where the quarterback has to quickly get the ball out of his hands -- something Leinart didn't go a good job of in Arizona. Houston's passing game also isn't effective if the quarterback isn't accurate, another issue for Leinart with the Cardinals.

A defensive coach I spoke with recently gave me this scouting report on Leinart:

» Has arm strength to make almost all of the throws, but he throws "soft" passes, which sometimes hang and are easy to deflect or intercept.

» Accuracy is an issue.

» Anticipation of when to throw the ball is problematic. He is like many quarterbacks who come out of college having played in a system with receivers who typically got so wide open there is no urgency to throw the ball at a certain time or at certain points of a route. In the NFL, breaks out of routes and shifts in coverages have to be anticipated because of the make-up speed of defensive backs.

» Has a tendency to pat the ball before his release, a trigger that opposing defensive coaches and players pick up on quickly.

Some of these issues can be fixed, and there's little doubt Texans quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp will put in the time to help. But how much time? Houston's coaches need to prepare for real games, not teach a backup quarterback the system. So Leinart is going to have to be self-motivated to improve.

But no matter how much he learns, he might not be able to put anything on film with the Texans, now that the preseason is complete. That means perceptions of Leinart won't likely change for potential suitors next year.

Side notes to Leinart saga

» It shouldn't be surprising that Leinart's former USC coach, Pete Carroll, didn't try too hard to sign him in Seattle. Matt Hasselbeck is the starter and the team invested a lot to acquire and groom Charlie Whitehurst, so Leinart would have been no better than a scout-team QB with the Seahawks. He wouldn't want that and Carroll might not want that for him also.

The silence from Kansas City and coach Todd Haley -- Leinart's former offensive coordinator in Arizona -- is more telling. If Haley thought Leinart would be effective in his system, a system he brought from Arizona, don't you think he'd be leaning on general manager Scott Pioli to bring him in behind Matt Cassel instead of relying on Brodie Croyle as the No. 2?

» What was discussed more by some coaches and agents that I spoke with over the weekend wasn't why Leinart didn't succeed, but rather why Arizona didn't make a move this offseason to either deal Leinart or acquire someone other than Derek Anderson to compete for the starting job. OK, they made a play for Whitehurst, who ended up in Seattle, but when Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger and Sage Rosenfels were made available, the Cardinals held tight.

Time to add Anderson?

With Matt Leinart finished in Arizona, what does that mean for veteran Derek Anderson's fantasy value? Michael Fabiano breaks down the impact for owners. More ... The Cardinals knew who and what Leinart was and they knew the locker room dynamic well before Kurt Warner ever retired, however, they banked on Leinart maturing, improving, and his teammates finally buying into him. There wasn't a lot of second-guessing at the time because Leinart's collegiate reputation and flashes as a pro bought him a ton of faith. Yet, did you hear any of Leinart's teammates coming to his defense this offseason the same way a heap of Eagles backed Kevin Kolb, who stepped in for McNabb in Philly?

beerlover
09-06-2010, 08:52 PM
It's a good gamble don't listen to the media, we know what we have in Orlovsky, at least the fans do & its a scarey thought if something where to happen to Schaub :eek:

Mr teX
09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
It's a good gamble don't listen to the media, we know what we have in Orlovsky, at least the fans do & its a scarey thought if something where to happen to Schaub :eek:

that's a scary thought regardless if was Dan O. , booty, Lienart or rosenfels...this is what some here don't understand. If we wound up having to go to ANY 1 of these guys with the schedule we have...:tiphat: to the season.

gtexan02
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
17 page in less than a day about our new potential 3rd string quarterback?

Sheesh, you guys need to get some perspective here. Its our 3rd string qb. A few years ago, our 3rd string QB was Owen Daniels.

I doubt Leinart will even be activated on most game days.

17 pages? Wow. There are much more interesting things to discuss

SteveSlaton20
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
do not like.

I don't like his attitude and he hasn't impressed me with his play in the NFL so far.

this

and vy will kill us again.

Lucky
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Yet, you're in here? :um:

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Matt is starting. The good Matt, not the other kind...

Right!! The q-tip swab or the party boi???

Hopefully Texans fans give Leinart a chance. Kinda like they did HWNSNBM or K.Brown.

Try to judge him by what you see of him as a Texan. Not for what he did as a Card. Be fair in your judgements.

This move spoke volumes of Kubes confidence in Dan O.

Really?? Isn't it people like you that point out Kris sucked in Pittsburgh? Did you not bring up Kris' experiences in Pittsburgh and now you expect people to forgive Lienart's indescretions and more importantly his suckitude in Phoenix?

Not jacking with you, but cheese and rice man, be consistent...

BTW, Rackers sucks!! He'll do alright this season, but he's no George Blanda, Tony Fritsch, Al Del Greco or Kris Brown........

Pollardized
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
this

and vy will kill us again.

The only thing vy will kill in Houston is a double fudge-packed schlong sandwich and a side of nuts down at the ripcord in montrose.

gtexan02
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Yet, you're in here? :um:

When you see a thread with close to 400 posts, you check in to see whats going on.

PapaL
09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
There are more interesting things besides our 3rd String QB on a game week? WHOA...

BullNation4Life
09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Most of yall look at it as a mistake, some look at it as a ehhh, who cares about the 3rd string QB. Look at it from this prospective, say Kubaik get's Leinart's head on strait and makes him serviceable, then turns around and trades him for a 3rd or 4th round pick...

anybody gonna complain then? Kubiak did the same thing to Sage....

C Madd
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
BTW, Rackers sucks!! He'll do alright this season, but he's no George Blanda, Tony Fritsch, Al Del Greco or Kris Brown........

How could you forget Tony Zendejas??!

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
There are more interesting things besides our 3rd String QB on a game week? WHOA...

I suggest that you install Vista!!

PapaL
09-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I suggest that you install Vista!!

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Right!! The q-tip swab or the party boi???

Really?? Isn't it people like you that point out Kris sucked in Pittsburgh? Did you not bring up Kris' experiences in Pittsburgh and now you expect people to forgive Lienart's indescretions and more importantly his suckitude in Phoenix?

Not jacking with you, but cheese and rice man, be consistent...

Never have said a word about Brown's Pittsburgh days.

Did say he should've been cut after the Tack game last yr.

Did question She Tex's KB love. She explained it and it made me admire KB a whole lot more. With that said I'm glad they kept Rackers over KB. Not that I think Rackers is a world beater.

ArlingtonTexan
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Sheesh, you guys need to get some perspective here. Its our 3rd string qb. A few years ago, our 3rd string QB was Owen Daniels.

Considering we have multiple threads and/or lengthy threads on pure speculation, people having differing opinion on an actual transaction is refreshing.

PapaL
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Sign Schobel!

Wrong thread...my bad...

Mr. White
09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't get around here too often lately, but I love this signing.

Perfect situation for both parties. Leinart needed to come to town with a humble attitude. I would think venture to say that he's not humble, he's suicidal.

I also think that Kubes has the skills to rebuild him. Matt's got the physical skills to start right now. If he isn't right between his ears, he'll have Kubes yelling in one of those ears just like we've seen him do with Carr, Sage, and DanO.

Not to mention, Matt's only healthy year in Houston also happened to be a contract year.

We've got finally got competition at QB in H-Town....makes me proud to be an American where competition actually yields results.

MEGA SWATT
09-06-2010, 11:14 PM
interesting.

Jackie Chiles
09-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Not to mention, Matt's only healthy year in Houston also happened to be a contract year.

Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting? Really?

houstonspartan
09-06-2010, 11:56 PM

To be honest, as much as I like Matt, there were times last year when I thought the same thing. It's not uncommon for players to crank it up when they have a big bonus or contract extension coming up.

Miggsy
09-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Some of you guys are assuming quite a bit about a guy's personality when I'm pretty sure you haven't met him much less seen him work off camera. Let's hold off on predicting what a guy's intentions are for the season (phoning it in just to look good for other teams? really?) until he at least freaking straps a helmet on for us.

Some people on here are such alarmists it's absurd.

The guy is a freaking 3rd string QB and could possibly make our sucky 2nd stringer obsolete. If he doesn't work out we can cut him at any time. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE. Revis Christ people.

GNTLEWOLF
09-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Some of you guys are assuming quite a bit about a guy's personality when I'm pretty sure you haven't met him much less seen him work off camera. Let's hold off on predicting what a guy's intentions are for the season (phoning it in just to look good for other teams? really?) until he at least freaking straps a helmet on for us.

Some people on here are such alarmists it's absurd.

The guy is a freaking 3rd string QB and could possibly make our sucky 2nd stringer obsolete. If he doesn't work out we can cut him at any time. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE. Revis Christ people.

If you mean that we are predicting his present motives and actions based on well reported past behaviors....Yes! I tend to believe a lot of what i've read in nearly every sports publication in the country since he was drafted.
As far as downside....If Schaub goes down....from games I've watched this guy play...I'd say there was a lot of downside...

m5kwatts
09-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't know what's gone on in Leinart's past, but having the chance to play for a coach who wants him on the roster and being around a guy like Schaub could really help him.

Warner was good for him too but I think him being so old and the fact that they were in direct competition put a damper on their relationship. In this case the situation is completely clear with Schaub as the #1 guy. Also Schaub is closer in age, has gone on to have tremendous success after his previous team never gave him a chance, has gotten that big NFL contract and lives a boring low-key lifestyle that Leinart frankly needs to imitate.

I don't know how much of the dirty rumors about Leinart are true (poor work ethic, doesn't work hard, wants to party more than he wants to play football) but he won't last with the Texans long if any of that manifests itself here. I know Kubiak wouldn't have brought him here if he thought any of that was an issue.

houstonspartan
09-07-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't know what's gone on in Leinart's past, but having the chance to play for a coach who wants him on the roster and being around a guy like Schaub could really help him.

Warner was good for him too but I think him being so old and the fact that they were in direct competition put a damper on their relationship. In this case the situation is completely clear with Schaub as the #1 guy. Also Schaub is closer in age, has gone on to have tremendous success after his previous team never gave him a chance, has gotten that big NFL contract and lives a boring low-key lifestyle that Leinart frankly needs to imitate.

I don't know how much of the dirty rumors about Leinart are true (poor work ethic, doesn't work hard, wants to party more than he wants to play football) but he won't last with the Texans long if any of that manifests itself here. I know Kubiak wouldn't have brought him here if he thought any of that was an issue.

True. Agree on all points. Our offense is so intricate and well put together that no way in hell does Kubiak let anyone come in and disrupt it.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. My confusion about all of this is when will we have time to re-build this guy? This season is very important, and Kubiak and our coaches have to focus on winning week to week, not rebuilding another human being. Guess we will see.

And, you make a great point about simply being wanted. Whizenhunt didn't, and Kubiak does. That could really help the guy with his motivation. It happens.

Brisco_County
09-07-2010, 04:08 AM

Here's some perspective: We're talking about a guy with raw talent and bad development who might replace Orlovsky, which on this team is a big deal.

Thorn
09-07-2010, 07:26 AM
After reading (most) of the posts int this 18 page thread, let me try and sum it up.

1. We're screwed if Schaub goes down no matter who's the backup. (DanO, Weiner, or Booty). And yes, I deliberately misspelled and making fun of Leinart there.

2. We're screwed if Schaub goes down.

3. It's raining outside.

4. Need. Coffee. This. Morning.

Señor Stan
09-07-2010, 07:41 AM
After reading (most) of the posts int this 18 page thread, let me try and sum it up.

1. We're screwed if Schaub goes down no matter who's the backup. (DanO, Weiner, or Booty). And yes, I deliberately misspelled and making fun of Leinart there.

2. We're screwed if Schaub goes down.

3. It's raining outside.

4. Need. Coffee. This. Morning.

All I have to add to the discussion is this...

Everyone needs to go to their User CP and edit options so that they can see 50 posts per page. My "Texans agree to terms with Matt Leinart" thread is only 8 pages long.

SheTexan
09-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Hopefully, he'll spend the year carrying a clipboard, watching and learning from some of the best, and getting his priorities straight. He's a TEXAN now, and I'll support him until he no longer wears our jersey. I want him to succeed, just like I hope Rackers succeeds, as a Texan. As these new guys come in we need to embrace them and make them part of our Texan family. As it has been pointed out so many times on this board, players can have very successful careers after a change of environment. Let's hope this theory works out for both our ex-Cardinals. Seems to be working out pretty good for A. Smith!

Kaiser Toro
09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
I have never thought highly of Leinart as a NFL QB, based upon his collegiate success.

If he can't beat out Orlovosky, it should mean that we will be drafting a QB next year and perhaps bringing in another veteran.

I would not call a Kubiak a developer of QBs, so I am not sure of the logic behind carrying three QBs for the year, two of which are career back ups.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 08:39 AM
You have to go through a lot of Brink's, Van Pelt's and Orlovsky's before you find your Steve Young's and Tom Brady's.

Agreed. You don't strike oil every time you drill. Does that mean you stop drilling??

GP
09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Most of yall look at it as a mistake, some look at it as a ehhh, who cares about the 3rd string QB. Look at it from this prospective, say Kubaik get's Leinart's head on strait and makes him serviceable, then turns around and trades him for a 3rd or 4th round pick...

anybody gonna complain then? Kubiak did the same thing to Sage....

How do you trade a guy when his contract is up at the end of the year?

You think we're going to be able to trade him before the trade deadline? LOL.

It's a long shot that he re-signs here. (1) Kubiak might not want to re-sign him, and (2) Leinart might want to go be "The Man" somewhere else, which is what's gonna' happen, by the way.

That's why this signing is a big fat question mark. Not a multi-year deal, so that is very telling for both parties: They each are not all that enamored with one another, keeping it to a one-year testing period.

The guy is atrocious, and there's a lot of tape and analysis on him that says his problems are inherent to who he is on AND off the field. The older ya' get, the harder to change those stripes.

People need to stop fooling themselves about the future of Leinart in Houston. It's a one-year gig, as insurance against Orlovsky and Schaub both getting hurt. For as bad as Dan has been, I'd still start him over Leinart right now.

Hervoyel
09-07-2010, 08:55 AM
How do you trade a guy when his contract is up at the end of the year?

You think we're going to be able to trade him before the trade deadline? LOL.

It's a long shot that he re-signs here. (1) Kubiak might not want to re-sign him, and (2) Leinart might want to go be "The Man" somewhere else, which is what's gonna' happen, by the way.

That's why this signing is a big fat question mark. Not a multi-year deal, so that is very telling for both parties: They each are not all that enamored with one another, keeping it to a one-year testing period.

The guy is atrocious, and there's a lot of tape and analysis on him that says his problems are inherent to who he is on AND off the field. The older ya' get, the harder to change those stripes.

People need to stop fooling themselves about the future of Leinart in Houston. It's a one-year gig, as insurance against Orlovsky and Schaub both getting hurt. For as bad as Dan has been, I'd still start him over Leinart right now.

This is what I don't understand. How come we didn't at least try to work out an option year so that we could at least try and pry a 6 or 7 from somebody in 2011. I thought we should have tried to get that option year on Grossman too. I think you're a little too pessimistic about Leinart but time will tell. Regardless I agree with you on the one year gig thing. He's gone after 2010 and that's fine. I just hope the Texans take this backup QB position more seriously in the future and don't get us in a bind like this again in 2011 (assuming it isn't a lock-out/strike year)

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Or dare I say...Vince Young. Alot of people mentioned the race card before and quickly got thrown under the bus.

I believe however, that this was a marketing thing though. You see what kind of media Brian Cushing got you, now Leinhart is on your team and ESPN talks about you a bit more.

As for the signing, I got a wait and see feel to this. Something tells me that Leinhart was a Dennis Green draft pick and Wisenhunt didn't want him any more. I've also seen that Leinhart has had the team in several winning positions but their D couldn't hold anyone off (ex. The Bears Game aka Dennis Green They Are Who We Thought They Were and last year against Tennessee.)

So we know we got a backup that has played before.

Bingo!!!
Didn't Wisenhunt bring in Warner during his first year and then brought in Anderson when Warner retired? I'm just saying.... Sure looks like more than coincidence to me.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I have never thought highly of Leinart as a NFL QB, based upon his collegiate success.

If he can't beat out Orlovosky, it should mean that we will be drafting a QB next year and perhaps bringing in another veteran.

I would not call a Kubiak a developer of QBs, so I am not sure of the logic behind carrying three QBs for the year, two of which are career back ups.

I've been thinking about this since this signing. We were sold the idea that Kubiak was a very good QB coach when he came here. Since he's been here he's been unable to coach up any of the QBs he's brought in here, save Schaub.

I like Kubiak, but working with Elway, Steve Young and a QB friendly system should not automatically give you the moniker of being an excellent QB coach.

Heck, maybe I'm wrong and he is a great QB coach. I'd just like a little proof

Kaiser Toro
09-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I've been thinking about this since this signing. We were sold the idea that Kubiak was a very good QB coach when he came here. Since he's been here he's been unable to coach up any of the QBs he's brought in here, save Schaub.

I like Kubiak, but working with Elway, Steve Young and a QB friendly system should not automatically give you the moniker of being an excellent QB coach.

One thing is for certain, he can implement an offensive attack over a couple of years.

GP
09-07-2010, 09:12 AM
This is what I don't understand. How come we didn't at least try to work out an option year so that we could at least try and pry a 6 or 7 from somebody in 2011. I thought we should have tried to get that option year on Grossman too. I think you're a little too pessimistic about Leinart but time will tell. Regardless I agree with you on the one year gig thing. He's gone after 2010 and that's fine. I just hope the Texans take this backup QB position more seriously in the future and don't get us in a bind like this again in 2011 (assuming it isn't a lock-out/strike year)

A large part of my discontent is because there is no future with Leinart. Not as a QB, and not as a trading commodity.

So the risk is not only higher than the reward, there's actually no reward there at all. It's ALL risk.

Do we want a Pouty Face no-good QB in our locker room? People like David Carr and Matt Leinart need to wise up and realize their future is in modeling and not in quarterbacking. It's just how it is.

Texan_Bill
09-07-2010, 09:14 AM

:thinking: Ummmmmm, that's kind of a big one; Not to mention Sage did fairly well here too, for being a career **** up, errrrrrrrr back-up.

GP
09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Bingo!!!
Didn't Wisenhunt bring in Warner during his first year and then brought in Anderson when Warner retired? I'm just saying.... Sure looks like more than coincidence to me.

And the move for Warner makes Whisenhunt a whise man.

It made the Cardinals a dominant offensive team who went to the Super Bowl.

So, score card reads Whisenhunt 1....Green 0 in that department.

I have very little sympathy for Leinart. It's like Rick Flair says "You wanna' BE the man? Then you gotta' BEAT the man."

HOU-TEX
09-07-2010, 09:21 AM
:thinking: Ummmmmm, that's kind of a big one; Not to mention Sage did fairly well here too, for being a career **** up, errrrrrrrr back-up.

True, but he was as mind-****ed as Dan O. Several good plays then...boom, a pick, fumble, etc.

El Tejano
09-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Plus Sage sucked before he came to Houston. Nobody wanted him. He came to Houston and became a pretty sought after QB, enough to get us a 4th round pick right? Also he goes to Minnesota and he had something there. Enough to make them say, 'we aint just gonna cut him'.

Schaub was supposedly a career back up who only had two career starts in which, I believe, he lost. Now he's tops in the league in percentage and yards.

I'm one that doesn't like Orlovsky to be the backup. However, even I can see where he improved from last year. We only have preseason games to work with but this year he in Az he had us go on a pretty long drive that Slaton fumbled away. That was impressively long drive at that time. He led us on a TD drive against the Saints, and he didn't turn the ball over vs. Dallas. He really only screwed up in the Tampa Bay game. All of that showed me that he's not ready to be a back up QB at this time, but it didn't say that he didn't improve from last year when he started with Kubiak to this year.

Maybe we should also give credit to Kubiak for some decisions he did make concerning the QB position. Heck, he pretty much flat out told Bob Mcnair that HWNSNBM isn't going to cut it and Matt Schaub would and he got that right.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM

For the record, what was your opinion of the Schaub trade when we gave up two 2nd rd picks? Did you honestly think Schaub would turn into a pro bowl QB back in 2007?? Did you think it was a good move? (other than the getting rid of HWWNBN factor)

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 09:33 AM

I have very little sympathy for Leinart. It's like Rick Flair says "You wanna' BE the man? Then you gotta' BEAT the man."

You DO realize that's pronounced WIZZ, right?
:D

TexanBacker93
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM

What team would give up a draft choice for a player they knew the Cardinals were going to release? If they trade for them they take on the contract. If they sign them as FAs they can get them at a discount rate (hopefully).

I remember when the Texans were going to release Aaron Glenn or Jamie Sharper or Gary Walker and a lot of fans thought the team should trade them. It would be great, but most of the teams would rather keep their picks and attempt to sign them as FAs.

I'd be mad if the Texans passed up a solid #2 or got rid of a solid #2 to sign Leinart for a year, but the fact is they didn't. After the Cardinals preseason game I don't remember people discussing Booty as if he were the 2nd coming of Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have minded him being the #2, but I won't off a cliff or ***** and moan about the fact that he got cut and they brought in someone else. This is a 1 year deal in a no-cap year. What exactly do the Texans lose by having him as a backup?

HOU-TEX
For the record, what was your opinion of the Schaub trade when we gave up two 2nd rd picks? Did you honestly think Schaub would turn into a pro bowl QB back in 2007?? Did you think it was a good move? (other than the getting rid of HWWNBN factor)

I suppose I was neutral, if anything. I've never been an advocate of trading draft picks, but given our situation at the position I just looked the other way.

El Tejano

And the fact that Az pretty much is picking up the tab on it by outright releasing him, makes it so much less of a gamble.

Grams
09-07-2010, 09:38 AM
All I have to add to the discussion is this...

Everyone needs to go to their User CP and edit options so that they can see 50 posts per page. My "Texans agree to terms with Matt Leinart" thread is only 8 pages long.

Thanks!!!

TexanBacker93
09-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Maybe he isn't a good QB. Have you seen anything from the other candidates to be Schaub's backup to say they are or can be good QBs?

V3rm0nt3r
09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
You DO realize that's pronounced WIZZ, right?

I thought it was still clever. Got your back GP.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Leinart, 1 year deal, 3rd string QB replacing John David Booty? I'll take it.

As others have pointed out his 'past', that concerns me some as well. Prima-donna attitude, reports of a HWSNBN-like work ethic replacing the family with college chicks, etc etc. But I'm willing to give guys a second chance. He's been embarrassed the last couple years, finally gets released and has to sign on with some team in Houston that's never been to the playoffs to be their 3rd string QB sitting behind Dan 'winless' Orlovsky??? Pretty humbling. He's a Texan and I hope we can all support him. As much as we may poke fun of or not like Leinart's off-field antics.... as far as we know that's been partying and hot tub late nights with hot chicks. I'm willing to give him the chance to redeem himself after "those terrible" crimes. Work ethic is basically what it comes to, and he's got to prove THIS SEASON that he's got it. If not, he won't be on the Texans and will be a 3rd string for the Lions or Raiders or Rams next year if he's in the NFL at all. As far as we know he doesn't sexually assualt women in clubs, he doesn't torture animals and run underground dogfighting rings, he hasn't had weapon and drug charges, and gosh darnit he isn't a habitual user of hCG!!

Seriously, what I'd like to happen is Kubiak/Knapp spends time working with him (the same time they would have been spending with Booty) and he shows development. He shows them he's (1) got the talent and just as importantly, if not moreso (2) he's got it in his mind of what has to be done now - aka better work ethic. He comes in when we're up a bunch in the 4th quarter for Kubes to evaluate, get some real time film and we like what we see. End up re-signing him to a 2-3 year deal. At this point Dan-O has 1 year left on his contract, either stays or gets cut. All our players are in their prime, we're a consistent deep playoff threat and Leinart develops well into this system that we only have to carry 2 QBs on the roster. We're making our Super Bowl runs, Leinart gets mop up duty for the most part but he's been developed into a great backup.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Matt Leinart has tons more potential than John David Booty. If Leinart doesn't have the drive to improve that Kubiak wants, he'll be gone. Some say Leinart doesn't have any future in Houston... well the same can be said about John David Booty. Leinart has the chance to improve, beat out Dan-O and become our solid backup QB. I never saw that in Booty.

GP
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
What team would give up a draft choice for a player they knew the Cardinals were going to release? If they trade for them they take on the contract. If they sign them as FAs they can get them at a discount rate (hopefully).

I remember when the Texans were going to release Aaron Glenn or Jamie Sharper or Gary Walker and a lot of fans thought the team should trade them. It would be great, but most of the teams would rather keep their picks and attempt to sign them as FAs.

I'd be mad if the Texans passed up a solid #2 or got rid of a solid #2 to sign Leinart for a year, but the fact is they didn't. After the Cardinals preseason game I don't remember people discussing Booty as if he were the 2nd coming of Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have minded him being the #2, but I won't off a cliff or ***** and moan about the fact that he got cut and they brought in someone else. This is a 1 year deal in a no-cap year. What exactly do the Texans lose by having him as a backup?

I think it's just odd that we took the guy on. That's pretty much it.

Yes, we didn't lose a draft pick. Yes, it sounds as though the contract is cheap (due to him getting a ROYAL payment from the Cardinals).

The risks are that he's a dud superstar coming into a locker room full of guys who are the antithesis of what he has been his whole career. I hope our guys influence HIM and not the other way around. We don't need anoybody buying into his Poor Pitiful Me act. That's a risk.

Another risk is that the coaching staff somehow elevates him to QB #2 over the course of the season, and then he gets to come in if Schaub goes out with an injury. I don't want that. None of us should want that. There's still a little shine left on Leinart that hasn't faded yet, and he better be the 3rd string guy and just ride out his time with us.

The last thing, and it's not really a "risk," is that the guy is gone after this year. One year deal. He will NOT stay here to be the backup next year. You can bank on that.

So my opinion is that this was a weird acquistion for us. Awkward. But hey, it got us talking about something for several days didn't it? Gonna' make the week fly by.

Oh, and you can bet your boots that the MAIN STORY about the Texans (with the sports media this weekend) will be shots of Leinart in a Texans uniform on the sideline. That'll be the lead-in to talk about our game with the Colts. Then they'll transition with talking about Schaub's performance against the Colts. Then, after this Sunday...it won't be a topic anymore. LOL.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Who here believes that if Schaub went down in the next few weeks for let's say only 4 games, either Orlovsky or Leinart could afford us a "stay in the race" 2-2 record? In a year that the team and ownership has essentially relayed the message that they are pulling out all the stops to at least reach the playoffs, it blows my mind that there has been no move to bring in veteran backup. Sage didn't give us quality starter material, but he gave us 6victories in 12 games. We have NO reasonable expectations that either of our present backups can offer us much of any hope if Schaub goes down for even only a couple of games. A team like this, with goals for THIS year, have got to have more forthought to the backup position than just having a clipboard holder or a player you want to see if you can turn around and develop.

GP
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I thought it was still clever. Got your back GP.

It was my reference to the movie Hot Rod when he puts a heavy "H" sound into the words "why" and "who" etc.

Mr. White
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM

All I'm suggesting is that Schaub was due for a $10 million roster bonus (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/unlucky-13-for-schaub) last year.

From the Dec 7 article (after the JAX game.)

Why is the recovery process for this injury different this time around (since it's basically the same injury)?

Maybe it's because they understand the nature of the injury, having been through it before.

And maybe it's because Schaub doesn't want to miss any more time and may be willing to play through some pain because: a) he never played in more than 11 games during his first two seasons as a Texan because of injuries, and b) he's due a $10 million option bonus at the end of this season that would trigger the final three years of his contract.

I'm guessing that bonus would be in serious jeopardy if he's on the sideline for the remainder of this season.

The Texans traded for Schaub's contract in 2007. The contract had a three year base (which is in its final year) and a three year option, which if exercised, would extend Schaub's deal through 2012. (note that the linked article was written in September, 2008)

If the Texans choose to exercise the option, they have to notify Schaub and his agent on or before February 12. The option bonus, if exercised, would be payable on March 15 and would extend Schaub through 2012.

To be honest, as much as I like Matt, there were times last year when I thought the same thing. It's not uncommon for players to crank it up when they have a big bonus or contract extension coming up.

I like the guy too and can't argue with his results. I know he looked like a hero on TV when he came charging back into the JAX game after getting knocked out.

I'm just pointing out that he also had a financial incentive for getting back into that game. Bearing that in mind, I don't have any problem bringing in Leinart. He has way more of an upside than any other backup QB that's out there.

BTW, any Texan fan who doesn't read AJ's column is doing themselves a disservice. He has a lot of info you don't hear anywhere else.

GP
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Who here believes that if Schaub went down in the next few weeks for let's say only 4 games, either Orlovsky or Leinart could afford us a "stay in the race" 2-2 record? In a year that the team and ownership has essentially relayed the message that they are pulling out all the stops to at least reach the playoffs, it blows my mind that there has been no move to bring in veteran backup. Sage didn't give us quality starter material, but he gave us 6victories in 12 games. We have NO reasonable expectations that either of our present backups can offer us much of any hope if Schaub goes down for even only a couple of games. A team like this, with goals for THIS year, have got to have more forthought to the backup position than just having a clipboard holder or a player you want to see if you can turn around and develop.

People can say he's a diva all they want, but this where a guy like Jeff Garcia would shine. he has the scrambling ability and the past experience with being in a good offense (Philly).

He'd be a guy who could take our weapons at TE, RB, and WR and would just flourish. IMO, of course.

We need a real salty, scrappy guy out there in case Schaub goes down. Not a few guys who are jittery and insecure. I'd take Joe Montana right now over the backups we have.

Thorn
09-07-2010, 09:56 AM

If Schaub goes down right now, we've got Dan The Interception Man to come in and Matt Hot Tub Leinart still learning. No, I don't believe any of our QBs (including Booty if he came back) can take over for Schaub and play, at a minimum, at 500 level football and hold the fort until Schaub returns.

badboy
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
"Drat, a lefty!" signed Eric Winston.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Saw Troy Smith and Pat White were released. Those are two guys I wouldn't have minded seeing as our 3rd string. Add a little more excitment to things. :)

Dishman
09-07-2010, 10:02 AM
A large part of my discontent is because there is no future with Leinart. Not as a QB, and not as a trading commodity.

So the risk is not only higher than the reward, there's actually no reward there at all. It's ALL risk.

Do we want a Pouty Face no-good QB in our locker room? People like David Carr and Matt Leinart need to wise up and realize their future is in modeling and not in quarterbacking. It's just how it is.

David Carr hasn't gone on to destroy any team that he's played a back-up role for. I don't think Leinart will either. :scarygirl:

DerekLee1
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Plus Sage sucked before he came to Houston. Nobody wanted him. He came to Houston and became a pretty sought after QB, enough to get us a 4th round pick right? Also he goes to Minnesota and he had something there. Enough to make them say, 'we aint just gonna cut him'.

Schaub was supposedly a career back up who only had two career starts in which, I believe, he lost. Now he's tops in the league in percentage and yards.

I'm one that doesn't like Orlovsky to be the backup. However, even I can see where he improved from last year. We only have preseason games to work with but this year he in Az he had us go on a pretty long drive that Slaton fumbled away. That was impressively long drive at that time. He led us on a TD drive against the Saints, and he didn't turn the ball over vs. Dallas. He really only screwed up in the Tampa Bay game. All of that showed me that he's not ready to be a back up QB at this time, but it didn't say that he didn't improve from last year when he started with Kubiak to this year.

Maybe we should also give credit to Kubiak for some decisions he did make concerning the QB position. Heck, he pretty much flat out told Bob Mcnair that HWNSNBM isn't going to cut it and Matt Schaub would and he got that right.

Let's also not forget that against TB, we were down to a single RB and Kubiak had to adjust his game plan to throw, throw, throw so that he didn't get his last good RB hurt. Would've been much different play-calling in a real-game situation. Orlovsky made some huge strides this year, and I see why Kubiak decided to keep him on. But BECAUSE of those mistakes against TB, I also see why he went after Leinart.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
If Schaub goes down right now, we've got Dan The Interception Man to come in and Matt Hot Tub Leinart still learning. No, I don't believe any of our QBs (including Booty if he came back) can take over for Schaub and play, at a minimum, at 500 level football and hold the fort until Schaub returns.

The same can be said about every team. If the starter goes down, the team is toast. Brady/Cassell is an anomaly. Although the Patriots didn't make the playoffs, 11 wins is pretty damn good for a starter much less a back up! I do understand the difference here though, is that Schaub has been injured before and missed significant time. But I think this past year he's showed everybody he isn't soft, he can take the hits, and that he's NOT injury prone.

If Dan-O or Leinart or Booty had to come in, I would not feel comfortable at all about our chances. Sage at least gave me some confidence, that feeling of "hey it doesn't look great but we've got a chance". But even with Sage, who we consider a great backup to have.... I don't see us have much shot at all of playoffs - and if we happen to make it, we'd be out in the first round. We might be able to bet the Rams/Lions/Etc but having to face the Ravens/Jets/Chargers??? Heck no.

Mr. White
09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
I do understand the difference here though, is that Schaub has been injured before and missed significant time. But I think this past year he's showed everybody he isn't soft, he can take the hits, and that he's NOT injury prone.

I think it's too early to say that. He's been here 3 years and only played one complete season. And like I said before, he had a financial incentive last season.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Totally understandable. But any QB we brought in would most likely be signed to a 1 year deal and their future with the Texans would be about as good as Booty's, Craig Nall's or Shane Boyd's. As far as Leinart being trade bate? It's very doubtful THIS year. Unless a team has QB injuries and gets desperate or what I won't speak of... how Sage's value increased. A team could want to trade for him (6th/7th conditional) knowing their chances of getting him if he's an unrestricted FA would be thin. Again, I think any trade with him this season is very unlikely.

The main thing is which ever QB we have, had, or could have had as our 3rd stringer had a longshot to stay in a Texans uniform for a long period of time. It's not out of the question that we re-sign Leinart after this season. Probably he goes elsewhere, but on the other hand if Booty were the 3rd string still we may have ended up getting rid of him, drafting a QB in 2011 draft or picking up another guy next season.

I wouldn't get too caught up in Leinart's 1 year deal and potential no future with the Texans bit. Not unless we had cut Orlovsky and only had Schaub/Leinart on the roster!

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I do understand the difference here though, is that Schaub has been injured before and missed significant time. But I think this past year he's showed everybody he isn't soft, he can take the hits, and that he's NOT injury prone.I think it's too early to say that. He's been here 3 years and only played one complete season. And like I said before, he had a financial incentive last season.
I hear you. But there were huge question marks about Schaub going into last year. A lot of people were calling him soft, etc etc. He answered the questions for me. Regardless of the "contract/bonus theory" he's showed the toughness to stay in the games after every tough hit. He's developed into THE leader of this team, he's got the confidence, and his team mates believe in him. He's not missing significant time unless its a significant injury. THAT is what could happen to any QB. Is he Favre? no but he's proved he's going to stay in the game unless a bone is broken, that he's not "injury prone". That's good enough for me.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM

I know you're not asking me but... I thought it was a genius move. I thought Schaub was going to be a great QB. I thought he was a perfect fit.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I know you're not asking me but... I thought it was a genius move. I thought Schaub was going to be a great QB. I thought he was a perfect fit.

I just knew we needed to get HWWNBM out of town. I wasn't a big fan of using two #2s to get a backup QB with limited starts. I was for bringing in a F/A or two (Jake the Snake, Chris Simms, and Jeff Garcia were available) and let them duke it out with Sage for the starting job.

But when Schaub's first official act was to call his teammates and get to know them; he had me on his side. I'd never heard of a guy calling his future teammates before he had even moved to town.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I just knew we needed to get HWWNBM out of town. I wasn't a big fan of using two #2s to get a backup QB with limited starts. I was for bringing in a F/A or two (Jake the Snake, Chris Simms, and Jeff Garcia were available) and let them duke it out with Sage for the starting job.

But when Schaub's first official act was to call his teammates and get to know them; he had me on his side. I'd never heard of a guy calling his future teammates before he had even moved to town.

Prior to the trade, I had heard a lot about how Schaub was really a #1 even though he was backing up Vick. He was the hottest thing on the market (even though he wasn't a FA) and several teams were trying to work out trades to get him. When we landed him, I was surprised and heartened because we were getting a true franchise QB from everything I'd seen and heard. I was kinda pissed when people started dissing him as just some backup QB.

houstonspartan
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Prior to the trade, I had heard a lot about how Schaub was really a #1 even though he was backing up Vick. He was the hottest thing on the market (even though he wasn't a FA) and several teams were trying to work out trades to get him. When we landed him, I was surprised and heartened because we were getting a true franchise QB from everything I'd seen and heard. I was kinda pissed when people started dissing him as just some backup QB.

Yep. Schaub was a backup in function only. He was a talent that everybody was sniffing around. That's why when Kubiak met him over a weekend and played golf with him and got to know him, they hammered out a deal FAST. If you recall, that whole thing went down pretty quickly.

A bunch of other teams were after Schaub.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Ditto. I even made a bet with a friend that he'd make the Pro Bowl in 3-5 years. This conceding the fact that Manning and Brady were virtual locks, leaving only 1 spot open. And the fact that his first "pro bowl calibre" year wouldn't get him in, he'd have to have 2 straight.
I forgot about that. What a great move bringing Schaub in. That was an awesome thing to hear too!
There was even a large number of Atlanta fans that knew he was a better QB than Vick and that he really should be starting in place of him. I kind of laugh thinking back about those "Start Sage over Schaub" threads too.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM

I have to smile to myself about that. It's rather entertaining to go back into the archives and see who was bashing Schaub and wanting him to be benched, traded, or burned in effigy just a couple of years ago.

must resist
urge to
name names

Thorn
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I have to smile to myself about that. It's rather entertaining to go back into the archives and see who was bashing Schaub and wanting him to be benched, traded, or burned in effigy just a couple of years ago.

must resist
urge to
name names

Aw, go ahead and name names. I was one of them. I trashed Schaub and the trade to get him. Looks light I might have been a tad wrong on that one. LOL

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Aw, go ahead and name names. I was one of them. I trashed Schaub and the trade to get him. Looks light I might have been a tad wrong on that one. LOL

Aww... it's all good.
Remember, I wasn't initially thrilled about the deal either. I knew SOMETHING had to be done, I just wasn't sure that was it. Turns out, it was.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Saw Troy Smith and Pat White were released. Those are two guys I wouldn't have minded seeing as our 3rd string. Add a little more excitment to things. :)

I would have liked to have given either one of those guys the "rope" they've given Orlovsky. I will say, I'm not sure either has the arm strength that Dan-O does. They just seem to have more smarts. In my book smarts >> arm strength at the QB position.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
All this still begs the question of how our quarterback evaluation guru and negotiation guru have waited for the last minute to put us in this messy situation in a year that's so important to everyone's "security" and psyche.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I would have liked to have given either one of those guys the "rope" they've given Orlovsky. I will say, I'm not sure either has the arm strength that Dan-O does. They just seem to have more smarts. In my book smarts >> arm strength at the QB position.

Nothing against Orlovsky personally, for one who was hoping that Orlovsky would have developed as expected, I have to say that I had never heard Orlovsky speak before.............until the Bucs preinterview. I thought that I was listening to a boxer who had taken one too many hits. It seemed as though he had a great deal of trouble putting one word after the other. He left me with the feeling that he would need one hell of an arm out there on the field.

michaelm
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I just don't see how this situation is much different from last season when we had playoff aspirations and started the season with Dan-O and Grossman behind Schaub.
I don't recall everyone crying that the sky was falling because we had a reclamation project as a third string QB back then.
Pretty similar situation if you ask me, other than the fact that a lot of people dislike Lineart personally, because they think he's arrogant, or more likely they're Horns fans who have dislike for him in their DNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dread-Head
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Aw man! I LIKED Booty! If he ever became the starter we could play that KC and the Sunshine Band song as his theme. Dang!

OzzO
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
...“I’m excited for this opportunity,” Leinart said after arriving in Houston on Monday night. “I’m looking for a new start. Obviously, things didn’t go the way I wanted (at Arizona), but it’s time to move on.

“The Texans are a great organization, and I’m really looking forward to working with coach Kubiak.”

Kubiak, a backup during his nine-year career with Denver, likes working with quarterbacks. He called Leinart and talked to him about the benefits of playing for the Texans.

“When I talked to Matt on the phone, I was so impressed with him,” Kubiak said. “He wants to be here. He said, ‘Coach, they (Cardinals) are starting over, and I need a new start, too.’

“He didn’t make excuses for what happened there. There was no bull to him. I like that.”

Leinart, 27, comes to the Texans as the third quarterback behind Matt Schaub and Dan Orlovsky.

“We’re fortunate to get a player like Matt,” Kubiak said. “I like him a lot. This is a positive move for our organization. Matt fits what we do. ...

I was wondering when were gonna hear straight from the Trojan's mouth....

chronic 9-7-10 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7188402.html)

gtexan02
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Considering we have multiple threads and/or lengthy threads on pure speculation, people having differing opinion on an actual transaction is refreshing.

And yet the Derrick Ward signing is only on page 7.

That was a signing that has immediate impact on our team (he will likely play every Sunday).

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Aw man! I LIKED Booty! If he ever became the starter we could play that KC and the Sunshine Band song as his theme. Dang!

well Duuuuh!! What guy doesn't??
oh wait, You mean the QB don't you?

...never mind.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM

That was a signing that has immediate impact on our team (he will likely play every Sunday).

That's a reflection of most feeling encouraged or, at least, comfortable by Ward's acquisition, while Leinart's acquisition has stimmulated a great deal of negativity and head scratching. Even most of those who are "good" with the decision, seem to be so more as "resigned" to the move, and with the need to support him because now he is a Texan.

Texecutioner
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't really see why certain folks are upset with this signing. I'm happy with it. Leinart's not a bad backup to have at all in my opinion. I like him a lot better than Orvlosky, that's for sure. Good signing in my opinion.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't really see why certain folks are upset with this signing. I'm happy with it. Leinart's not a bad backup to have at all in my opinion. I like him a lot better than Orvlosky, that's for sure. Good signing in my opinion.

Wait, what?
I'm confused.
You're giving Kubiak credit for doing something right?

sorry, couldn't resist

Kaiser Toro
09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I just don't see how this situation is much different from last season when we had playoff aspirations and started the season with Dan-O and Grossman behind Schaub.
I don't recall everyone crying that the sky was falling because we had a reclamation project as a third string QB back then.
Pretty similar situation if you ask me, other than the fact that a lot of people dislike Lineart personally, because they think he's arrogant, or more likely they're Horns fans who have dislike for him in their DNA.

This is year 2 of Orlovsky and he has not gotten better, so there should be more concern. IMO he was never any good.

The other difference is that Orlovsky and Grossman were here for all of camp as opposed to Leinart coming in.

Who knows, Leinart could learn the playbook and develop locker room good will in a few weeks and we could release Orlovsky. But then we would have no continuity at the back up position going into 2011, assuming Leinart does not like backing up a healthy Schaub.

This fan's issue is with the use of a roster position. Of course, I could turn it into a player development issue, but that is for a later date.

Texecutioner
09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Wait, what?
I'm confused.
You're giving Kubiak credit for doing something right?

sorry, couldn't resist

I'm sure am!! :clap:

thunderkyss
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM

I keep hearing that Whisenhunt brought Warner to Arizona.

But Whisenhunt was hired in 2007 (January).

Warner had been there since 2005.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Championship!

Sorry, I just had to be 'that guy'.

michaelm
09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
This is year 2 of Orlovsky and he has not gotten better, so there should be more concern. IMO he was never any good.

The other difference is that Orlovsky and Grossman were here for all of camp as opposed to Leinart coming in.

Who knows, Leinart could learn the playbook and develop locker room good will in a few weeks and we could release Orlovsky. But then we would have no continuity at the back up position going into 2011, assuming Leinart does not like backing up a healthy Schaub.

This fan's issue is with the use of a roster position. Of course, I could turn it into a player development issue, but that is for a later date.

I agree with the concern over the extra roster spot, but I don't recall anyone being up in arms over carrying three QBs into the season last year. People just dislike Leinart, so they don't want that extra spot to be taken by him, but realistically, using that extra spot for him is very similar to using it for Grossman last year. Neither QB is/was considered to be a guy that could have much positive impact by most fans. It's not like there is no precident for using a third roster spot for a reclaimation project at QB...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArlingtonTexan
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

That's a reflection of most feeling encouraged or, at least, comfortable by Ward's acquisition, while Leinart's acquisition has stimmulated a great deal of negativity and head scratching. Even most of those who are "good" with the decision, seem to be so more as "resigned" to the move, and with the need to support him because now he is a Texan.

CND makes some good points here. I would also say that Leinart has been the recent national non-Texans news, so he is in more people's consciousness and is at a position (QB)that is often overtalked.

Logically, you are not incorret to think that a regular player should get more space consideration than one we generaly hope never takes a meaningful snap, but reactions and what people want to talk about are not always logic based (see the no spin zone).

Dread-Head
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
well Duuuuh!! What guy doesn't??
oh wait, You mean the QB don't you?

...never mind.

Shake shake shake! (horn section) Shake shake shake! (horns) Shake your...awww you get the idea.

Man I was looking forward to sitting next to Texan Bill in matching Afro wigs.:clown:

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
From PFT:

Matt Leinart took a big pay cut
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 7, 2010 4:16 PM ET
When Matt Leinart said he wanted to stay in Arizona because it was his best chance to play in 2010, it was part of a high stakes game of chicken with the Cardinals. He was essentially daring Arizona to keep him.

Lost in the negotiating ploy was the fact Arizona did present Leinart his best chance to play and ultimately his best earning potential for 2010.

Word comes from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle that Leinart is only slated to make $600,000 in 2010, with a maximum of $1 million if he reaches incentives.

It's interesting to note that those incentives are tied to his spot on the depth chart, not whether he plays. Leinart gets $23,125 for each game he's designated the team's backup, rather than the inactive No. 3 quarterback.

Even if Leinart was the backup all 16 weeks -- which won't happen -- the salary must be humbling for him. It's a huge reduction from the $2.5 million he was slated to make in Arizona, and less than half of what Texans backup Dan Orlovsky will make.

Leinart didn't want to be a backup at his new location, and he won't be. Yet. He's now a No. 3 quarterback and has the salary to match.

It's up to him whether this marks a career low point or a preview for his next five years.

From McClain's Twitter:

Matt Leinart signed a one-year contract with the Texans today for a base of $630,000. The deal can max out at $1 million.

Leinart gets $23,125 for every game in which he's the No. 2 backup. That doesn't count being designated as the 3rd QB.

barrett
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Rick Smith is awesome.

Period.

What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during the Aaron Schobel negotiations.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Rick Smith is awesome.

Period.

This is a price that tells me we were the lone hunter. Makes me wonder that much more why Smith wouldn't have forced the option year for at least trade value.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
From PFT:

From McClain's Twitter:
Thanks CND, I've been so curious about this signing. Such a friendly contract for us. There is no chance Leinart beats out Orlovsky at the beginning of the season. Maybe if he had been here all offseason, but that's a stretch.
Rick Smith is awesome.

Period.

What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during the Aaron Schobel negotiations.
Agreed. I'd love to hear Smith negotiating just about any deal. Upgraded the #3 spot with a guy earning vet minimum that has nothing but upside. Good job Smith.

barrett
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
This is a price that tells me we were the lone hunter. Makes me wonder that much more why Smith wouldn't have forced the option year for at least trade value.

I don't think he had a ton of value but I doubt we're the "lone hunter". I just think Rick Smith has good leverage with the organization seeming like a place players are wanting to come to. I like the little tid-bits like the depth chart bonus. Was Ward's contract amount ever reported?

Mr teX
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Its funny b/c just this morning on 1560 someone called in whinning basically saying that aaron schoebel isn't a texan b/c of money "a few extra million"...then you hear about deals like this. Sometimes i wonder how far off we on the outside (including fat boy slim Johnny mac & chesse) really are vs what goes on at the negotiating table.

GP
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Well, if we were the lone hunter...then maybe Leinart is intent on sticking here for 2010 and 2011, trying to get his stuff fixed before trying to play as a starter in the NFL.

Maybe in Leinart's head, he's looking at 2010 and 2011 as a paid QB Camp where he can try and rebuild his market value.

That's all I got.

J_R
09-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Kubiak on Leinart (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6333): "He's obviously a talented young man to have been the 10th pick in the draft," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "Those things happen in this business, and it's a chance for him to get a fresh start. We're getting a very smart player who has been productive, and we'll see if we can kind of get the motor going again and all that back. So it's a nice try for us as a football team and it makes us deeper at the quarterback position."

And for those anxiously waiting to go buy their Leinart jersey :P, he will be wearing #9.

TexansBull
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Can someone remind me what Orlovsky is getting paid? I know Leinart is #3, and Orlovsky is #2, but didnt Dan get a ridiculous contract for a #2?

Just curious.

Nevermind - google to the rescue. 3 year 9.1 million with 2.4 guaranteed. Is that right?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6288896.html

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Can someone remind me what Orlovsky is getting paid? I know Leinart is #3, and Orlovsky is #2, but didnt Dan get a ridiculous contract for a #2?

Just curious.

3/1/2009: Signed a three-year, $9.15 million contract. The deal included a $2.4 million signing bonus.
2010: $2.25 million, 2011: $2.75 million, 2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3227

2009: He got paid $1.75 million plus the $2.4 million signing bonus.

TexansBull
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
So Leinart, a top 10 pick, heisman winner, is getting paid less this year than the man who holds the NFL record for consecutive losses. Talk about humbling a person. I guess this reveals how bad of a contract Orlovsky got, or how cheap we got Leinart. Maybe a little of both.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Just curious.

Nevermind - google to the rescue. 3 year 9.1 million with 2.4 guaranteed. Is that right?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6288896.html

That's what I found, too.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2010, 05:01 PM
So Leinart, a top 10 pick, heisman winner, is getting paid less this year than the man who holds the NFL record for consecutive losses. Talk about humbling a person. I guess this reveals how bad of a contract Orlovsky got, or how cheap we got Leinart. Maybe a little of both.
Probably a little bit of both, more concentrated to Leinart being cheap. Pretty sure $620K is vet minimum.

To put it in perspective with other deals with backups when we signed Orlovsky:

Chris Simms - 2 years, $6 million including $1.5 million signing bonus.
Luke McCown - 2 years, $7.5 million including $2.5 million signing bonus.
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3 years, $8 million including $1.2 million signing bonus.
Sage Rosenfels - 3 years, $9 million including $1.4 million signing bonus.

Dan Orlovsky - 3 years, $9.1 million including $2.4 millions signing bonus.

infantrycak
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Depends on how you define ridiculous. Vick is on the second year of a 2 year $6.8 mil contract to be the 3rd now 2nd QB. Leinart made about $8 mil to backup Warner last year. VY made over $10 mil in two years backing up Collins. HWWNBN got a 2 year $6.2 mil deal in Carolina 4 years ago.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
It'll end up a pretty ridiculous number for a #3.

TexansBull
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Probably a little bit of both, more more concentrated to Leinart being cheap. Pretty sure $620K is vet minimum.

To put it in perspective with other deals with backups when we signed Orlovsky:

Chris Simms - 2 years, $6 million including $1.5 million signing bonus.
Luke McCown - 2 years, $7.5 million including $2.5 million signing bonus.
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3 years, $8 million including $1.2 million signing bonus.
Sage Rosenfels - 3 years, $9 million including $1.4 million signing bonus.

Dan Orlovsky - 3 years, $9.1 million including $2.4 millions signing bonus.

I guess I listened to the noise out there that this was a bad pickup and that was my perspective on it. Thanks for the education.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I keep hearing that Whisenhunt brought Warner to Arizona.

But Whisenhunt was hired in 2007 (January).

Warner had been there since 2005.

you are correct, sir.
but the point was that Leinart was brought in by Green to be "the guy" because it looked like Warner didn't have it any more.

I'm thinking Cali-boy Leinart and southern boy Whisenhunt just never really clicked.

spurstexanstros
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM

So the good looking cant be good qbs.....well that explains why I cant make a NFL team.

Seriously get over your jealousy of David Carr. He was a good looking guy that was #1 pick...big deal. He is gone He wasnt destructive to our team or any team he has been on. He was just a shell shocked Qb that didnt work out. They got rid of him. I think Schaub has had a lot more slack since he has a joe public look to him. I am willing to bet during his first two injury plauged years he would have been ripped if had the GQ look about him.

Give Matt Leinart a chance before running the same smack you used with DC.

He is better than dano and I believe that super bowl champ David Carr would be as well.

Lucky
09-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I think it's too early to say that. He's been here 3 years and only played one complete season. And like I said before, he had a financial incentive last season.
I realize that this is a Leinart thread. But can you (or anyone) explain how a "financial incentive" to stay healthy works? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I realize that this is a Leinart thread. But can you (or anyone) explain how a "financial incentive" to stay healthy works? Inquiring minds want to know.

Schaub had a $10,000,000 option to be paid after last season. So, if he stunk the place up, they could have released him without paying that option.

But I think that Schaub had played well enough the first couple of years that they would have kept him unless he really had a very bad year. I don't buy into the "he stayed healthy to get that money" thing.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Tell that fellow Schaub, he might seriously consider staying healthy........or else.................

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/vitocorleone.jpg

drs23
09-07-2010, 07:16 PM
:lol:Tell that fellow Schaub, he might seriously consider staying healthy........or else.................

:lol:

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Tell that fellow Schaub, he might seriously consider staying healthy........or else.................

Must spread rep.

Mr. White
09-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Already did in this post (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1513760&postcount=378).

Schaub had a $10,000,000 option to be paid after last season. So, if he stunk the place up, they could have released him without paying that option.

But I think that Schaub had played well enough the first couple of years that they would have kept him unless he really had a very bad year. I don't buy into the "he stayed healthy to get that money" thing.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case either. Maybe he proved he isn't injury prone anymore by playing all 16 games. I'm not sure that the roster bonus was the reason why he did it, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Whatever the case may be, I'm still not convinced that Schaub's going to play all 16 games again this year. For that reason, I'm glad that Leinart's on the roster now.

drs23
09-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Must spread rep.

Got it TPN :D

Lucky
09-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Whatever the case may be, I'm still not convinced that Schaub's going to play all 16 games again this year.
I'm not either. Mainly because a) he holds on to the ball for the longest trying to make plays downfield and b) that's the nature of the position. Less than half the starting QBs in the league started all 16 games last season.

But, to suggest that Schaub's pain threshold was higher in 2009 than previous years due to an impending bonus is totally baseless. Matt tried to play on a torn MCL in the 2008 Vikings game. That Kubiak allowed him to was insane. But, it certainly proved what Schaub was willing to do for the team.

thunderkyss
09-07-2010, 11:07 PM
But, to suggest that Schaub's pain threshold was higher in 2009 than previous years due to an impending bonus is totally baseless. Matt tried to play on a torn MCL in the 2008 Vikings game. That Kubiak allowed him to was insane. But, it certainly proved what Schaub was willing to do for the team.

I'm good now, I feel if Schaub can possibly be in the game, he's going to be in the game.

I even feel within reason, he's going to play well, even when he isn't 100%.

What I worry about, is that our running game doesn't work as well as we want, when we want, & I'm hoping the defense will win some games (a little different than not losing).

GP
09-08-2010, 08:20 AM
So the good looking cant be good qbs.....well that explains why I cant make a NFL team.

Seriously get over your jealousy of David Carr. He was a good looking guy that was #1 pick...big deal. He is gone He wasnt destructive to our team or any team he has been on. He was just a shell shocked Qb that didnt work out. They got rid of him. I think Schaub has had a lot more slack since he has a joe public look to him. I am willing to bet during his first two injury plauged years he would have been ripped if had the GQ look about him.

Give Matt Leinart a chance before running the same smack you used with DC.

He is better than dano and I believe that super bowl champ David Carr would be as well.

No, even when Schaub was getting hurt because of bad pocket awareness and holding onto the ball too long...he still had the other skills to make himself a good QB.

Carr and Leinart do not. The main thing they lack, that Schaub has, is a self-respect and passion for getting better. Schaub began throwing the ball away when there wasn't a play. He's changing his habits.

Carr and Leinart are two QBs who are not bad QBs because they are handsome. They just happen to be bad QBs who are handsome. Go with what works for ya', and what works for them is the looks.

Seems like I was actually giving them some credit for being of some service to society.

michaelm
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
No, even when Schaub was getting hurt because of bad pocket awareness and holding onto the ball too long...he still had the other skills to make himself a good QB.

Carr and Leinart do not. The main thing they lack, that Schaub has, is a self-respect and passion for getting better. Schaub began throwing the ball away when there wasn't a play. He's changing his habits.

Carr and Leinart are two QBs who are not bad QBs because they are handsome. They just happen to be bad QBs who are handsome. Go with what works for ya', and what works for them is the looks.

Seems like I was actually giving them some credit for being of some service to society.

I can only surmise that you must be an ugly sumbitch, GP... lol

GP
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM

LOL.

Yeah, I'm jealous. Why do some guys (Carr and Leinart) get to have all the fun?!?! :cry2:

Austrian
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM

http://i24.tinypic.com/j0hgdj.jpg

Sorry.:photos:

Back to topic.

GP
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Back to topic.

Yikes.

Someone get that guy a chainsaw and an apron.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Must spread rep.

Got it TPN :D

I hit Doc up for a couple of rep. points.... That was some funny azzz shizizzle!!!

Mr. White
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm not either. Mainly because a) he holds on to the ball for the longest trying to make plays downfield and b) that's the nature of the position. Less than half the starting QBs in the league started all 16 games last season.

I'm not sure about his pain threshold being higher in any one year than another. I just know that he hit an incentive by playing all 16 games.

I think if there wasn't a roster bonus waiting at the end of the season, I don't think he would have come back in the game after the shoulder injury against Jacksonville. Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seen it happen before too often.

Is that the only reason why he made it all 16 games? I don't think so. Does it factor in? I think we're fooling ourselves if we don't consider it.

Back to Leinart........we're one more Matt Schaub injury away from hearing names like "Glass Joe", "Matty Ice Pack" and "Schaubelier" again, especially if it happens early in the season.

Second Honeymoon
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I like the signing as long as it means Orlovsky can be an ex-Texan after the bye week. Orlovsky was a bad choice and why they gave him such an outlandish contract is still a mystery. At least with Leinart, the money is small and its only one year. I would imagine he would get another year added on if he does win the backup job. That way, if he gets playing time (and we all hope he doesn't get time due to a Schaub injury) but if he does, it would give us a chance to possibly trade him somewhere for something in return if he shows well.

As for people speculating about Matt and him playing 16 games for an incentive clause, that is just ridiculous. Matt is a gamer and has shown to be all about football and not about glamour, advertising, or worrying about his hair. Yeah, he made money due to him surviving the season, but I tend to think he made even more money by playing at a VERY HIGH level last year.

Schaub had a great year. Not sure if he can duplicate it, but if he can approach that level of play and our coaches get their head out of their ass and the defense improves, we could have a good year. It may be asking a lot for all that..especially the coaching part. you can't hide bad coaching and bad decision making..and we have had plenty of that since Kubiak arrived.

Miggsy
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
If you mean that we are predicting his present motives and actions based on well reported past behaviors....Yes! I tend to believe a lot of what i've read in nearly every sports publication in the country since he was drafted.
As far as downside....If Schaub goes down....from games I've watched this guy play...I'd say there was a lot of downside...

Did we just upgrade our roster? Yes.
Did we just hamstring ourselves with a big contract? No.
Were we going to pick up someone from anywhere to step right in and put up Shaub numbers if he went down? Hell no.

Where is this downside again?
This isn't a situation where there were a lot of able QBs sitting around and we chose the wrong one. This was a simple flier for cheap that could end up paying off.

Also until the guy gets into your locker room you just do not know what is going to happen. This isn't TO who has proven with multiple teams that he will eventually cause problems. This is a young QB that had a lot thrown at him who didn't handle it the right way. You don't think that can be fixed?

The reports about his personality were an explanation as to why he wasn't handed the starting role. Don't take these reports as the Bible you snarky sumbich. :strangle: Reporters want to make news and a high draft pick struggling is news. Just wait and see was obviously the point I was making and that's exactly the attitude we should have about a freaking FLIER.

Maybe he works out maybe he doesn't. Either way it won't hurt us. NO DOWNSIDE.

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Orlovsky was a bad choice and why they gave him such an outlandish contract is still a mystery. At least with Leinart, the money is small and its only one year.

Come on, man. There was nothing "outlandish" about that contract. It's on par with what backup QBs get. About the same as what Sage got. About 2-3 mil a year for 2-3 years with between 1.5 to 2.5 guaranteed. That's just what it takes.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Back to topic.

WTF is that??!?

spurstexanstros
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I like the signing as long as it means Orlovsky can be an ex-Texan after the bye week. Orlovsky was a bad choice and why they gave him such an outlandish contract is still a mystery. At least with Leinart, the money is small and its only one year. I would imagine he would get another year added on if he does win the backup job. That way, if he gets playing time (and we all hope he doesn't get time due to a Schaub injury) but if he does, it would give us a chance to possibly trade him somewhere for something in return if he shows well.

As for people speculating about Matt and him playing 16 games for an incentive clause, that is just ridiculous. Matt is a gamer and has shown to be all about football and not about glamour, advertising, or worrying about his hair. Yeah, he made money due to him surviving the season, but I tend to think he made even more money by playing at a VERY HIGH level last year.

Schaub had a great year. Not sure if he can duplicate it, but if he can approach that level of play and our coaches get their head out of their ass and the defense improves, we could have a good year. It may be asking a lot for all that..especially the coaching part. you can't hide bad coaching and bad decision making..and we have had plenty of that since Kubiak arrived.

and that sounds like a good summation of everyones feelings on either side of the issue....we are all lighting candles for Schaub's health, praying for no more turnovers or running backs with delusions of throwing "the catch". The front office has done all they can to put a good team on the field. Its now up the coaches to put the players in the position to win and up to the players to stay healthy and excecute and compete till the final gun.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
WTF is that??!?

I thought it was Mangolds sister at first glance, but I was way off.

I wasn't meaning to poke fun at her even though it sounds like it. I can't complain about a young lady wanting to pound heads on the football field.

http://www.switchbladekittens.com/html/blogs/Holley-Mangold.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I thought it was Mangolds sister at first glance, but I was way off.

I wasn't meaning to poke fun at her even though it sounds like it. I can't complain about a young lady wanting to pound heads on the football field.

http://www.switchbladekittens.com/html/blogs/Holley-Mangold.jpg

That ain't right... errrrr she ain't right....... Nevermind. *sigh*

:facepalm:

Sometimes, things catch you at a loss for words.... This is one of those times.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
That ain't right... errrrr she ain't right....... Nevermind. *sigh*

:facepalm:

Sometimes, things catch you at a loss for words.... This is one of those times.

Better watch it.....

http://media.cleveland.com/sports/college_impact/photo/holley-mangoldjpg-026a9ade6aaf9940.jpg

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
People seem to be really underrating Leinart as a QB. He's never been that bad in the NFL. He played pretty well as a rookie and then struggled some as a 2nd year player and was pulled very very quickly for Kurt Warner who ran away with the job until he retired and Warner showed that he could still play at a very high level. Leinart played pretty well in pre season as well. He didn't light it up, but he didn't stink up the field either and once again he was pulled.

This was more of a situation where Whisenhunt just didn't like Leinart and had issues with him. Leiart probably didn't take to well to his type of coaching style and it was just a bad mix between them. It happens sometimes in the NFL.

But as far as a backup goes, I'm very happy to have him as a backup for now and I don't think we'll be in near as much trouble as some seem to think with Leinart back there.

DexmanC
09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
25+ freaking pages in this thread to say this:

Matt Leinart's Situation = Bernard Pollard's Situation

Welcome to Houston. Sit down. Shut up. Work hard for Kubiak.
Rinse. Repeat.

The1ApplePie
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Leinart and Rackers

So, we have two guys responsible for the great Chicago Bears ass-crowning

Rey
09-08-2010, 03:08 PM
People seem to be really underrating Leinart as a QB. He's never been that bad in the NFL. He played pretty well as a rookie and then struggled some as a 2nd year player and was pulled very very quickly for Kurt Warner who ran away with the job until he retired and Warner showed that he could still play at a very high level. Leinart played pretty well in pre season as well. He didn't light it up, but he didn't stink up the field either and once again he was pulled.

This was more of a situation where Whisenhunt just didn't like Leinart and had issues with him. Leiart probably didn't take to well to his type of coaching style and it was just a bad mix between them. It happens sometimes in the NFL.

But as far as a backup goes, I'm very happy to have him as a backup for now and I don't think we'll be in near as much trouble as some seem to think with Leinart back there.

Yeah, against us, that wasn't Leinart's fault...His O-line did him absolutely no favors in that game. I really don't think he is as bad as some people are saying. When he did get a chance to make a throw in that game, he got some good yardage...

And if I'm not mistaken, I think I heard that Leinart asked to be cut...I think Whisenhunt is going to regret that move..JMO

thunderkyss
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure about his pain threshold being higher in any one year than another. I just know that he hit an incentive by playing all 16 games.

I think if there wasn't a roster bonus waiting at the end of the season, I don't think he would have come back in the game after the shoulder injury against Jacksonville. Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seen it happen before too often.

If he started the game, he played the game. If he took two snaps, he played the game. Unless there was a percentage of snaps taken clause...

which there might have been.

But I think it is more likely that there wasn't, and he came back, because he wanted to beat those A-holes.

badboy
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Aw, go ahead and name names. I was one of them. I trashed Schaub and the trade to get him. Looks light I might have been a tad wrong on that one. LOLI got you beat Thorn. I was furious when some linebacker named Demeco was drafted as I wanted a left tackle. I am the smartest guy I know inside my mind.:tiphat:

badboy
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Back to topic.Daddy? Is that you?

Mike Kerns
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Caption This:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/143236/screenhunter_01sep081324.jpg

“Hey Brah, where’s the Natty Light?”

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Caption This:

"Oh yeah! I'm heading to Treasures right after this!!!"

Rey
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Caption This:

Damn I'm ugly.

badboy
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Damn I'm ugly.Snicker, I brought that dolly on the field and it ain't got Gatorade in that cooler.

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, against us, that wasn't Leinart's fault...His O-line did him absolutely no favors in that game. I really don't think he is as bad as some people are saying. When he did get a chance to make a throw in that game, he got some good yardage...

And if I'm not mistaken, I think I heard that Leinart asked to be cut...I think Whisenhunt is going to regret that move..JMO

He's played alright pretty much every year when he's gotten his chances. He just hasn't been highly impressive for a guy to be their franchise QB, that's all. But if you're considering him as a backup then he can do what most quality backups can do around the league. He can make accurate throws and he can move the ball down the field. He's just not great, that's all, but no backups are great. All the reports going back to last season about Matt's dedication and committment to getting better were all positive from Whisenhunt himself, and that's why it was such a surprise that Whisenhunt didn't want to use him this year, because Matt was supposed to be the full fledge starter. I just think the two of them didn't get a long so well and had personality clashes of some sort.

I feel much better about our QB at this point.

badboy
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
He's played alright pretty much every year when he's gotten his chances. He just hasn't been highly impressive for a guy to be their franchise QB, that's all. But if you're considering him as a backup then he can do what most quality backups can do around the league. He can make accurate throws and he can move the ball down the field. He's just not great, that's all, but no backups are great. All the reports going back to last season about Matt's dedication and committment to getting better were all positive from Whisenhunt himself, and that's why it was such a surprise that Whisenhunt didn't want to use him this year, because Matt was supposed to be the full fledge starter. I just think the two of them didn't get a long so well and had personality clashes of some sort.

I feel much better about our QB at this point.Exactly!. Linert does not have to beat our Schaub just Danny O. I still think Kubiak can make a back up out of Orslovsky it is just expensive.

DexmanC
09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Caption This:

“Think George A. Romero will cast me as a zombie in his next movie?”
"I can run!"

SheTexan
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Caption This:

WELL NOW!! I sorta like that pic!! Looks pretty good as a TEXAN!! :heat::heart:

You guys have the "boob" thread to keep you happy, and you salivate over the cheerleaders all the time. What's wrong with us GALS having a good looking QB wearing tight pants to oogle over??! I might have to go buy myself some binoc's!!:)

Rey
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Just heard on the radio that DanO has agreed to restructure his contract.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 04:09 PM

I feel much better about our QB at this point.

I feel there is much more to the story that just Whisenhunt not LIKING Leinart. Any coach that thinks a player can afford the team the best chance to succeed is going to deal with that player whether he likes or dislikes him.
Something else was going on to put Leinart in the category of not giving the Cards the best chance for reaching the playoffs or beyond.

Rey
09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I feel there is much more to the story that just Whisenhunt not LIKING Leinart. Any coach that thinks a player can afford the team the best chance to succeed is going to deal with that player whether he likes or dislikes him.
Something else was going on to put Leinart in the category of not giving the Cards the best chance for reaching the playoffs or beyond.

From what I've heard, Leinart asked for his release.

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Just heard on the radio that DanO has agreed to restructure his contract.

If that's true, then he was being threatened with being cut, probably as soon as Leinart had a week or two in the offense.

badboy
09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
If that's true, then he was being threatened with being cut, probably as soon as Leinart had a week or two in the offense.If Book'em Dano does not get the message he needs to step up his play, I don't know what else Texans can do.

Rey
09-08-2010, 04:15 PM
If that's true, then he was being threatened with being cut, probably as soon as Leinart had a week or two in the offense.

I'm searching for something on the net, but haven't found anything yet...

Edit: I called the radio station and I asked if the host had said anything about DanO restructuring his contract

The guy who answered the phone said he hadn't heard that...So I guess I mis-heard...

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Maybe there was more to it. I'm not saying that there wasn't, but Whisenhunt clearly didn't like Leinart and that part was perfectly clear, because he spoke very highly of him a few months ago as far as his commitment meant to the team.

As far as his play on the field since getting benched for Warner is concerned though, he's played just fine. He hasn't been remarkable or anything, but he hasn't been bad either. We can all speculate about why he wasn't wanted as a starter or whatever, but it sure as hell wasn't because of his play on the field in pre season, because he outperformed his competition easily.

Hookem Horns
09-08-2010, 04:22 PM
LOL, we are still talking about the 3rd string QB??

Ole Miss Texan
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
LOL, we are still talking about the 3rd string QB??

Hahah I know, it is kinda funny! At least it's nice that our team is at this point though. Better than still griping about our 1st string QB and wanting HIS replacement!!

This shall forever be know as the offseason of "The Great Kicker and 3rd String QB Debates".

DexmanC
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
All ya'll whinin' about Leinart being here, are probably the SAME
MOFOS screamin' for Sage to be the starter over Schaub.

If that applies to you...

SHUT THE HELL UP.

The fact you believe you can STILL recommend a good qb, even a backup,
is laughable. :spin:

Austrian
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
WTF is that??!?

Hah, that's ex Cowboy and now Dolphin Pat McQuistan, who has a twin brother that used to be with the Raiders and is now a free agent.

Texas T
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Hahah I know, it is kinda funny! At least it's nice that our team is at this point though. Better than still griping about our 1st string QB and wanting HIS replacement!!

This shall forever be know as the offseason of "The Great Kicker and 3rd String QB Debates".

Rep for you.
Best thing said in this thread so far...and yet I keep reading...

Rey
09-08-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm searching for something on the net, but haven't found anything yet...

Edit: I called the radio station and I asked if the host had said anything about DanO restructuring his contract

The guy who answered the phone said he hadn't heard that...So I guess I mis-heard...

Okay, I just heard the sports flash and they definitely said that DanO restructured his deal...

Not crazy afterall...

The1ApplePie
09-08-2010, 05:04 PM

SHUT THE HELL UP.

USC haterade as usual

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Okay, I just heard the sports flash and they definitely said that DanO restructured his deal...

Not crazy afterall...

Just because DanO restructured his deal doesn't imply that you're not crazy.

Just sayin.

Rey
09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Just because DanO restructured his deal doesn't imply that you're not crazy.

Just sayin.

*having flashbacks of all the crazy shyt I've done*

Yeah...thanks for bringing me back to reality...

Im definitely a crazy summabytch..

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Not crazy afterall...

There is no in print evidence of a restructured deal by the Card, only widespread suggestion of what the Cards might do.

But, from all the information available now, even if there would have been a last minute restructuring, logically it would have been done to make his contract more "trade friendly." As we have discussed with some of "our own," they could at least gotten something for him.

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
There is no in print evidence of a restructured deal by the Card, only widespread suggestion of what the Cards might do.

But, from all the information available now, even if there would have been a last minute restructuring, logically it would have been done to make his contract more "trade friendly." As we have discussed with some of "our own," they could at least gotten something for him.

Huh? I'm not following this. Rey was talking about DanO restructuring his deal, not Leinart restructuring his deal prior to being let go.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Huh? I'm not following this. Rey was talking about DanO restructuring his deal, not Leinart restructuring his deal prior to being let go.

Rey isn't the only one that's crazy. [Thinking in terms of Leinart] Another brain fart on my part.......a strong one!:choke:

JB
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Rey isn't the only one that's crazy. Another brain fart on my part.......a strong one!:choke:

A TB style fart!

edit: Or a typical JB brain fart from Hell!

drs23
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM

It's after work and I've had a couple of after work cool ones but this has me puzzeled.

Who's the Card?

What the Cards will do about what?

Make who's contract more "trade friendly"?

I'm cornfused. *scratches head*

Lucky
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM

SHUT THE HELL UP.
Everyone's opinion is welcome. Are you sure you want all of your previous opinions held up to scrutiny?

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/glass-houses.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 06:17 PM
It's after work and I've had a couple of after work cool ones but this has me puzzeled.

Who's the Card?

What the Cards will do about what?

Make who's contract more "trade friendly"?

I'm cornfused. *scratches head*

Here ye, here ye, read all about it............Cloak had a brain fart........last seen floating through the MB.............:texflag:

drs23
09-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Here ye, here ye, read all about it............Cloak had a brain fart........last seen floating through the MB.............:texflag:

:wink:

JB
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM

With all the great info you provide Doc, your'e entitled to a few...

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
610 Radio just reported Orlovsky had restructured his 3 year contract to "significantly lower."

Mike Kerns
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM

SHUT THE HELL UP.

I'm with you. I enjoy the pictures and the jokes, but I could care less that they brought Leinart in. Bottom line is that if he is playing, the season is over anyways because that means Schaub went down. I could care less who the backup is. Do you think they care up in Indy who Payton's backup is? No. Because they know that if Peyton goes down, they're done. So, again, I couldn't care is a 53 year old Warren Moon is our backup.

Oh, and I was always anti-Sage. Been a Schaub guy since I was wanting him to supplant Vick in ATL.

Mr. White
09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
610 Radio just reported Orlovsky had restructured his 3 year contract to "significantly lower."

Sounds like they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

False Start
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Yep (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7192079.html)

They reached an injury settlement with KB too.