PDA

View Full Version : Kris Brown injury settlement?

Yankee_In_TX
09-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Since McClain's article has a nonsensical sentence, can someone translate why Brown is on IR and we have to buy out his contract before he is released?

DexmanC
09-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Since McClain's article has a nonsensical sentence, can someone translate why Brown is on IR and we have to buy out his contract before he is released?

He has plantar fasciitis. I guess this is the Texans way of giving him a
severance package. God, this franchise is soooo sentimental.

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 12:38 AM

Ryan, post a link to McLame's article. I haven't read it yet...

Texan_Bill
09-05-2010, 12:39 AM

Dex, there is nothing wrong with a team being loyal to their players. It's actually kind of refreshing.

Yankee_In_TX
09-05-2010, 12:41 AM

I thought that for a second, but this is keeping him from being able to sign with another team.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7186997.html

Brown is suffering from plantar fasciitis in his right foot and can’t be waived injury until they reach a financial settlement.

Huh?

ChampionTexan
09-05-2010, 12:46 AM
I thought that for a second, but this is keeping him from being able to sign with another team.

Brown is suffering from plantar fasciitis in his right foot and can’t be waived injury until they reach a financial settlement.

Huh?

Substitute the word injured for injury and see if it makes more sense.

NFL rules prohibit releasing an injured player without reaching an injury settlement. (God, this league is soooo sentimental.)

Yankee_In_TX
09-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Substitute the word injured for injury and see if it makes more sense.

NFL rules prohibit releasing an injured player without reaching an injury settlement.

LOL, thanks - it does. I didn't know that - rep.

GP
09-05-2010, 01:20 AM
I say make him kick a 60-yard field goal.

If he makes it, he gets the settlement.

If he misses it, he doesn't.

I would pay to watch an online video stream of it. And then Rackers kicks a 61-yarder right after that. LOL.

eriadoc
09-05-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't know the rules about what injuries require IR or injury settlements or whatever, but doesn't it seem logical that if you can kick in a game trying to win a job, then you are healthy enough to cut? If you were too injured to be released, then you shouldn't have been out there kicking on Thursday night.

Seems odd to me.

DavidC
09-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't know the rules about what injuries require IR or injury settlements or whatever, but doesn't it seem logical that if you can kick in a game trying to win a job, then you are healthy enough to cut? If you were too injured to be released, then you shouldn't have been out there kicking on Thursday night.

Seems odd to me.

Could it be possible that the Texans are trying to drag the settlement out 2-3 weeks to see how Rackers does in the regular season? IF Rackers blows up worse than Brown did last year, they bring Brown back without giving him the chance to sign with another team.

alphajoker
09-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Could this be a conspiracy in the event Rackers doesn't work out? What I mean is, by not cutting KB because of the injury, we prevent him from signing on with any other team and the Texans could use it to their advantage the first time Rackers shanks a FG. The injury can "miraculously" heal and it allows the Texans to give KB another shot to make the team (why am I hearing the X-files theme in my head all of a sudden? lol)

alphajoker
09-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Could it be possible that the Texans are trying to drag the settlement out 2-3 weeks to see how Rackers does in the regular season? IF Rackers blows up worse than Brown did last year, they bring Brown back without giving him the chance to sign with another team.

We must have just posted at the same time but this is basically the same logic I'm thinking in keeping KB on an injury settlement to see how Rackers works out.

plee1024
09-05-2010, 09:18 AM
The mysterious injury thing is done all the time in the NBA... back, hamstring, etc....

Lucky
09-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I say make him kick a 60-yard field goal.

If he makes it, he gets the settlement.

If he misses it, he doesn't.
What are you guys talking about? If Brown doesn't take a settlement, he gets paid his entire salary for the season while on IR and is ineligible to play for the year. If he does take the settlement (a percentage of his salary), he's free to sign with another team.

There is no semi injured reserve, where a team can IR a guy for awhile, then reach an injury settlement and re-sign him. Brown has to be waived prior to the season opener, or he's on IR for the year.

Yankee_In_TX
09-05-2010, 09:54 AM
What are you guys talking about? If Brown doesn't take a settlement, he gets paid his entire salary for the season while on IR and is ineligible to play for the year. If he does take the settlement (a percentage of his salary), he's free to sign with another team.

There is no semi injured reserve, where a team can IR a guy for awhile, then reach an injury settlement and re-sign him. Brown has to be waived prior to the season opener, or he's on IR for the year.

The difference may be we never IR'ed Brown?

edo783
09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
IIRC, he was waived, pending injury settlement and at that time he would be fully released.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 10:42 AM

How many times has it been reported recently that a Texans player was put on IR, just to find out that it didn't officially occur until later.

Reading this account of IR vs injury settlement NFL player example, it made me even wonder if that may be a reason for the additional unslotted 53rd man space (temporary).

Sep4th Seahawks, Nick Reed Reach Injury Settlement (http://12thmanrising.com/2010/09/04/seahawks-nick-reed-reach-injury-settlement/)

The Seahawks have reached an injury settlement with defensive end Nick Reed, who has been struggling to recover following arthroscopic knee surgery a few weeks ago.

The settlement indicates the Seahawks were prepared to place Reed on Injured Reserve, but his injury may not keep him out the entire year. Placing a player on Injured Reserve makes them ineligible for the entire season.
Reaching an injury settlement allows Nick Reed to play elsewhere this season if he is able to recover. The Seahawks can also re-sign him, but Reed should have multiple opportunities around the league.

It is a calculated strategy (especially if you want to retain Reed), but the Seahawks could be making the right decision here. The Seahawks could have placed Reed on IR and retained his contract, but he would be ineligible to play the entire season. If they did not place him on IR, he would take up valuable space – while injured – on the 53-man roster.

Following Reed’s injury, Pete Carroll said Reed “should be back in a few weeks.” It is obvious Carroll’s assessment was slightly optimistic. The injury settlement, however, could indicate Seattle still believes Reed will be healthy again soon.

Reed will be able to negotiate with other teams, but I would not be surprised to see him back in Seattle after he recovers from injury. With so many difficult decisions at hand, every spot on the 53-man roster is extremely valuable – especially this time of year.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
How many times has it been reported recently that a Texans player was put on IR, just to find out that it didn't officially occur until later.

Reading this account of IR vs injury settlement NFL player example, it made me even wonder if that may be a reason for the additional unslotted 53rd man space (temporary).

Well, HT.com does indicate that he was placed on IR yesterday.

LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp)

ubecool454
09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Dex, there is nothing wrong with a team being loyal to their players. It's actually kind of refreshing.

Texan Bill you are on point again.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Seems odd to me.

I'm wondering if this is why he went from being simply released on Friday (which is reflected in NFL.com's transaction section) to being placed on IR yesterday (as confirmed on the Texans official website).

Perhaps the original intent was an outright release, and subsequent to that, somebody decided the Plantar Fasciitis condition warranted Kris's situation be treated differently.