PDA

View Full Version : Texans positioning to make Free Agent/Trade Moves?

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm racking my brain and the only explanation for the Texans cutting down to 51 spots is that they are either radically incompetent or they are making room for at least two new acquistions. Here's the article we wrote about what will happen between now and Monday afternoon:

The Texans made their cuts and roster moves official this afternoon, confirming what was being reported yesterday afternoon. Barrett’s list of roster cuts from yesterday is accurate and can be found here. With the signing of Derrick Ward, the roster exemption of Brian Cushing, as well as Anthony Hill’s placement on the PUP, the Texans effective roster is at 51. It is a virtual certainty to be at 53 by the early part of next week. So, the Texans clearly have a plan in place to sign players from the outside. I’m very encouraged by the aggressiveness the Texans are showing. This is easily the most talented and deepest team in the history the organization. Yet, instead of focusing on that reality, the Texans have apparently determined a need to strengthen the roster from the outside. So, by identifying where the Texans cut more aggressively than anticipated, we can probably surmise what positions will be addressed via FA in the next 48 hours. Here are my thoughts:

1. Before delving too deeply into the numbers, it is possible that there has been a handshake agreement with Aaron Schobel to join the team after the preseason.
CONTINUE READING (http://www.texansbullblog.com/cuts-offficial-texans-sign-2-fas/news/)

DerekLee1
09-04-2010, 07:12 PM
McClain just wrote about this. They're signing Derrick Ward and looking for a backup QB. Booty may be the guy, but they're reserving the spot for now in case someone else they like better becomes available.

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
McClain just wrote about this. They're signing Derrick Ward and looking for a backup QB. Booty may be the guy, but they're reserving the spot for now in case someone else they like better becomes available.

I've already counted Derrick Ward as one of the roster spots. That still leaves them at 51 (Cushing is exempt for 4 games). Also, I don't believe they are looking at QB.

Rey
09-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Yesterday Kubiak said to that the roster will probably be kind of different and that they will probably make 3-4 additions/changes.

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Yesterday Kubiak said to that the roster will probably be kind of different and that they will probably make 3-4 additions/changes.

Rey, at the time, I didn't know how seriously to take that. He could've meant any number of things, especially since we didn't have the official list in front of us. But, clearly, he was indicating they were about to go get some people not on this team. I'm guess that is happening right this minute and will be announced sometime between tonight and Monday morning.

V3rm0nt3r
09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm just going to throw Zgonina's name in there. Laugh all you want but the dude wasn't signed going into last season and ended up being one of our more consistent DT's. Not to mention his relationship with Rick Smith and you know he's in gonna be in shape.

Rey
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't just expect them to fill the last two open roster spots...

I think we could very well see a trade involving a TE. I also think that that there is a good chance that either Naeding, Jamison or Shelly Smith are cut if they find a player that they think is an upgrade to the roster.

Thorn
09-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Damn cheap ass McNair won't even hire a full team. :lol:

DiehardChris
09-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't see this as anything unusual. This is what teams do when it's final cutdown time. Teams keep the guys they think are football players, no matter what the numbers are. If it's less than 53, they work the wire until they get to that number.

Pollardized
09-04-2010, 08:06 PM

He needs to stop having lunch with Drayton McLane.

Fred
09-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Thorn, has Second Honeymoon hacked your account?!?!

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't see this as anything unusual. This is what teams do when it's final cutdown time. Teams keep the guys they think are football players, no matter what the numbers are. If it's less than 53, they work the wire until they get to that number.

They cut Jeremiah Johnson, Malcolm Sheppard, Deljuan Robinson, JD Booty... All guys that they are very cheap, offer some depth, and a fair amount of upside. Particularly with Johnson and Sheppard, I can't imagine they would expose those guys unless they have specific plans in mind.

Johnson will be ready to play football around week 3.. I'm sure Sheppard is a scary cut, waiting to see if they can get him to the P.S.

DiehardChris
09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
They cut Jeremiah Johnson, Malcolm Sheppard, Deljuan Robinson, JD Booty... All guys that they are very cheap, offer some depth, and a fair amount of upside. Particularly with Johnson and Sheppard, I can't imagine they would expose those guys unless they have specific plans in mind.

Johnson will be ready to play football around week 3.. I'm sure Sheppard is a scary cut, waiting to see if they can get him to the P.S.

Those are all P Squad guys, though. I have no worries about JJohnson getting picked up. He's out a month, and I don't think any team wants to use one of the valuable 53 on a guy who won't even see the practice field for a month.

Sheppard looked good in practice, but never showed anything in the preseason. I don't think there's anything on tape that would make someone jump at him, and even if they did - I don't think any of these guys would be a huge loss.

Booty - I don't see him as any kind of loss if he ends up elsewhere. He didn't look THAT good against TB. Plus, there are already better options out there if they want a third QB.

Robinson is the one guy that I think gives you some depth value. If Okam doesn't earn his roster spot, I'd like them to have another fat guy like DelJuan.

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Those are all P Squad guys, though. I have no worries about JJohnson getting picked up. He's out a month, and I don't think any team wants to use one of the valuable 53 on a guy who won't even see the practice field for a month.

Sheppard looked good in practice, but never showed anything in the preseason. I don't think there's anything on tape that would make someone jump at him, and even if they did - I don't think any of these guys would be a huge loss.

Booty - I don't see him as any kind of loss if he ends up elsewhere. He didn't look THAT good against TB. Plus, there are already better options out there if they want a third QB.

Robinson is the one guy that I think gives you some depth value. If Okam doesn't earn his roster spot, I'd like them to have another fat guy like DelJuan.

I totally disagree with you regarding Sheppard. I thought he flashed a great deal in the preseason, not to mention he has a good SEC film and measurables. He is certainly at risk. I'm not upset that he didn't make the roster but I would be very angry if the texans exposed him to the rest of the NFL simply because they thought maybe they'd sign a couple guys, then decided not to. That would be stupid and irresponsible.

JB
09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I totally disagree with you regarding Sheppard. I thought he flashed a great deal in the preseason, not to mention he has a good SEC film and measurables. He is certainly at risk. I'm not upset that he didn't make the roster but I would be very angry if the texans exposed him to the rest of the NFL simply because they thought maybe they'd sign a couple guys, then decided not to. That would be stupid and irresponsible.

I don't the staff is near as high on Sheppard as you are. Perhaps they are seeing some things you are not? Or maybe not seeing some things you think you are?

If Sheppard was all that, they would have kept him on the 53.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Kubiak is going to pull some strings with Shanny, and get Haynesworth. There is nothing to back that up, but I'm very surprised we cut both DelJuan & Sheppard.

This talk about Antonio Smith kicking in to play DT on a regular basis is just not reasonable. The only way that would happen, would be if something happened to Amobi or Mitchel, the UT in this group. Smith, Okoye, & Mitchell are all too small to play NT on a regular basis.

Passing down, obvious passing situations, yes. Fulltime, no way.

Haynesworth, yes. He may not like it, but yes.

JB
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Kubiak is going to pull some strings with Shanny, and get Haynesworth. There is nothing to back that up, but I'm very surprised we cut both DelJuan & Sheppard.

This talk about Antonio Smith kicking in to play DT on a regular basis is just not reasonable. The only way that would happen, would be if something happened to Amobi or Mitchel, the UT in this group. Smith, Okoye, & Mitchell are all too small to play NT on a regular basis.
Passing down, obvious passing situations, yes. Fulltime, no way.

Haynesworth, yes. He may not like it, but yes.

that's why the have Cody & Okam...

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
that's why the have Cody & Okam...

I understand. I was arguing the notion of Antonio Smith kicking inside on a more permanent basis.

RagingBull
09-04-2010, 09:26 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Rep coming your way!

JB
09-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I understand. I was arguing the notion of Antonio Smith kicking inside on a more permanent basis.

Smith inside is on a limited, situational basis.

TexanExile
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Kubiak is going to pull some strings with Shanny, and get Haynesworth.

Gah! I can't imagine McNair swallowing Fat Albert's huge cap number. His contract is bigger than his nightly tab at Five Guys.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 09:38 PM

I think they're just considering him part of the DT rotation because he kicks down for passing situations. I don't think they're talking about having him down there a lot or anything "permanent".

JB
09-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Gah! I can't imagine McNair swallowing Fat Albert's huge cap number. His contract is bigger than his nightly tab at Five Guys.

If he gets released, there is no contract except what the team picking him up signs him for. If he gets traded, most of the guaranteed monies are already paid, and there is no cap for this year. Future years are not too bad.

TexanExile
09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
If he gets released, there is no contract except what the team picking him up signs him for. If he gets traded, most of the guaranteed monies are already paid, and there is no cap for this year. Future years are not too bad.

Agreed, if we're talking about a release. I thought TK's post implied a trade possibility.

I do think that some other teams would pay him a lot more money than the Texans would, even despite the conduct this year.

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't the staff is near as high on Sheppard as you are. Perhaps they are seeing some things you are not? Or maybe not seeing some things you think you are?

If Sheppard was all that, they would have kept him on the 53.

Anyone good enough to be placed on the practice squad, is probably good enough to be on the 53 man roster, if they are only going to have 51 players on it. That's the point. Whomever, they liked that they had to cut could have been left on the roster if they weren't convinced a move was going to be made.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Without another $100 million contract, the only 2 games that you would ever likely see him move his ass for would be VY and his Ten Tacky Ssters. Otherwise expect only DDD.......Dissappointment, Dormant or Dead.

Wolf
09-04-2010, 09:55 PM

I can't freaking rep you on that one!
got to spread it around

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I can't freaking rep you on that one!
got to spread it around

Got ya covered, Wolf.:tiphat:

Wolf
09-04-2010, 10:01 PM
thanks Cnd I can't rep you either because I have to spread it around also LOL

Pantherstang84
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM

I hit him too. Funniest post I have read in a while.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Got ya covered, Wolf.

JB
09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Anyone good enough to be placed on the practice squad, is probably good enough to be on the 53 man roster, if they are only going to have 51 players on it. That's the point. Whomever, they liked that they had to cut could have been left on the roster if they weren't convinced a move was going to be made.

And I'm saying that they may not feel Sheppard is worthy of a PS spot.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Got ya covered, Wolf.

I'm getting all choked up with all the love.

I'd rep you Pencil Neck, but I must also spread it. Someone........who ever's left out there, give the boy his due.

JB
09-04-2010, 10:15 PM

I'd rep you Pencil Neck, but I must also spread it. Someone........who ever's left out there, give the boy his due.

Triede to help, but I must spread rep all around also...:pissed:

C Madd
09-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Consider it done.

TexanBacker93
09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I must be missing something. I have the Texans with 53. Now that does count Cushing, so really I guess we are at 52. Maybe they are looking to see what LBs get released and plan on signing someone for a few weeks.

newtexan
09-04-2010, 10:45 PM
JB,.... inside source says Sheppard's a lock for PC.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Smith inside is on a limited, situational basis.

I know.

Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/cuts-offficial-texans-sign-2-fas/news/)
5. DT: DT is another possibility since they only kept four. However, the Texans will be playing Antonio Smith at DT quite a bit and could always move him to DT if injuries occur… particular given the fact they kept five defensive ends.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 11:00 PM
JB,.... inside source says Sheppard's a lock for PC.

PS, not PC.

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 11:06 PM
And I'm saying that they may not feel Sheppard is worthy of a PS spot.

That's not the point. I'm sure they released someone that they plan to place on P.S... that isn't necessary if the roster spot isn't going to be taken by someone this week.

dalemurphy
09-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I must be missing something. I have the Texans with 53. Now that does count Cushing, so really I guess we are at 52. Maybe they are looking to see what LBs get released and plan on signing someone for a few weeks.

Here's the entire roster, with the IR'd players marked in Blue... Every player with his name struck through has been cut, PUP'd, or IR'd... That leaves 52 players, counting Cushing:

http://www.texansbullblog.com/roster-2010/

Here's the breakdown:

QB: 2
RB: 3
FB: 1
TE: 4
WR: 5
OL: 9

DL: 9
LB: 6 (cushing makes 7)
DB: 9

LS: 1
P: 1
K: 1

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Here's the entire roster, with the IR'd players marked in Blue... Every player with his name struck through has been cut, PUP'd, or IR'd... That leaves 52 players, counting Cushing:

http://www.texansbullblog.com/roster-2010/

Here's the breakdown:

QB: 2
RB: 3
FB: 1
TE: 4
WR: 5
OL: 9

DL: 9
LB: 6 (cushing makes 7)
DB: 9

LS: 1
P: 1
K: 1

So, looking at that, we're probably in the market for RB, LB, DT, or possibly an experienced CB to help mentor the 'kids'.

I was assuming that we'd be going after RB because Kubiak was talking about "our 4" when he was talking about running backs.

Thorn
09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Thorn, has Second Honeymoon hacked your account?!?!

LOL, no. But I couldn't resist the joke. :)

dalemurphy
09-05-2010, 12:00 AM
So, looking at that, we're probably in the market for RB, LB, DT, or possibly an experienced CB to help mentor the 'kids'.

I was assuming that we'd be going after RB because Kubiak was talking about "our 4" when he was talking about running backs.

I think RB and DT are good possibilities. I don't think LB is, though. With Cushing, it is a very, very deep group. We are without him for the next month. I doubt a street FA can come into this situation and be more effective than guys who have been in the system.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I think RB and DT are good possibilities. I don't think LB is, though. With Cushing, it is a very, very deep group. We are without him for the next month. I doubt a street FA can come into this situation and be more effective than guys who have been in the system.

BTW Dale - The Chronicle is in agreement with your roster # of 51.

Brown was the only change on the roster Saturday. The Texans were down to 51 by the 5 p.m. deadline for teams to be at a maximum of 53.

Chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7186997.html)

painekiller
09-05-2010, 12:05 AM

I heard Kubiak say that Johnson is out for 6 weeks, not 3.

dalemurphy
09-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I heard Kubiak say that Johnson is out for 6 weeks, not 3.

My understand was the recovery time was 4-6 weeks. So, I estimated he would miss three games. The fourth game would takes place on the 3rd of October... so, I thought that was a reasonable time frame.

PockyAF
09-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Got this from a poster on ClutchFans, hsf09:

The first time I heard this today I dismissed it. But I just heard the following from one other person who would know.Former TCU defensive end and the recently "retired" Aaron Schobel of the Buffalo Bills has not ruled out playing this season for the Houston Texans.
A native of Columbus, Texas, Schobel has played for the Bills since he entered the NFL in 2001. But TCU people who know Schobel well said the toll of the game plus the struggles of the Bills forced him to retire. It was widely assumed that if he decided to return it would be for a team close to his home in Columbus; Houston made the most sense.
These same people said the Texans have been rather persistent in their pursuit, and he has told them he would let them know on Monday if he will play again.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/nfl-news-aaron-schobel-thinking-of-returning.html#ixzz0ycnO88OC

So, why is a guy on a BBall forum getting the first scoop for our Texans again?:thinking:

GP
09-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Which makes it interesting that we have one spot open.

If it goes down, could some team in the NFL cry "Collusion" or "Tampering" due to any of this?

In essence, Schobel was sandbagging it the whole time. He didn't want to go through with camp, and the Texans made a friendly deal with him. "OK, just sit tight and we'll keep a spot open for you once cuts are made."

This could be verrrrrry interesting. It's possible, just don't know if this is genuine scoop from a family/friend source. Or if it's speculation only.

El Tejano
09-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Which makes it interesting that we have one spot open.

If it goes down, could some team in the NFL cry "Collusion" or "Tampering" due to any of this?

In essence, Schobel was sandbagging it the whole time. He didn't want to go through with camp, and the Texans made a friendly deal with him. "OK, just sit tight and we'll keep a spot open for you once cuts are made."

This could be verrrrrry interesting. It's possible, just don't know if this is genuine scoop from a family/friend source. Or if it's speculation only.

I doubt there is any tampering. He's a FA now if he un"retires". I would be glad to bring him on. Need depth at DE.

GuerillaBlack
09-05-2010, 03:22 AM
The Schobel stuff makes sense. Also, what is this new news about us trying to get Matt Leinhert?

J_R
09-05-2010, 08:32 AM

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/nfl-news-aaron-schobel-thinking-of-returning.html#ixzz0ycnO88OC

So, why is a guy on a BBall forum getting the first scoop for our Texans again?:thinking:

That would be me. Guess you didnt check the NFL section here ;)

TimeKiller
09-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I think I'd be at least a little surprised if the Schobel deal went down now. I don't think they would've kept Nading OR Jamison if that was the case. Perhaps they would just cut one of the two because I'm pretty sure 3 RBs is scarier than 2 QBs.

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Something is going on. Kubiak makes this cryptic comment the other day about how this team is going to look different, then there's this mysterious last spot open.

Something is going to go down.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 08:54 AM
My understand was the recovery time was 4-6 weeks. So, I estimated he would miss three games. The fourth game would takes place on the 3rd of October... so, I thought that was a reasonable time frame.

Three weeks (most optimistic prognosis) was what I related IF there were no MRI findings revealing significant associated ligament and fracture findings. When dislocation was revealed, I stated that these are not atypically associated with the aforementioned findings. Detailed findings have still not been released, but as I suspected, there must be significant joint associated damage (Grade III) resulting in prolonged recovery.

If conservative treatment fails to stabilize the joint, surgical reconstruction of the joint capsule, ligaments and articular cartilage may be necessary to restore proper alignment and function of more extreme cases. Grade III turf toes are the most likely to result in recovery setbacks, reinjury, chronic pain and progressive arthritic joint problems.

TexanBacker93
09-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Somehow I missed DelJuan Robinson on my list. There must be something else going on.

Lucky
09-05-2010, 09:06 AM

On his Friday radio show on 610, Kubiak mentioned a 4th OT and a QB. That may be at the expense of players currently on the roster.

newtexan
09-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't expect a big move from the Texans, i believe they will take a hard look at some players, but eventually bring back someone familiar with what they do, also don't count out at least 2 players to make a quick jump from the PS back to the active roster.

edo783
09-05-2010, 09:25 AM
The key point IMO regarding these statements by Schobel is, what date were they made. The exact same items, including the Monday thing, was stated 3-4 weeks ago. He then stated that he was in truth done and would stay retired. Now, maybe he has reversed course, but I suspect this is data that is stale.

b0ng
09-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I will be absolutely floored if Schobel comes in on Monday. Not saying it won't happen but I would really be shocked.

On the other hand, my guess is Kubiak is looking at a QB right now that is on the waiver wire. Kubiak, Smith, whatever.

PockyAF
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
That would be me. Guess you didnt check the NFL section here ;)

ahh yes, you're right. Now I know what the acronym in your clutchfans username stands for, hah.

Thanks giving us the scoop.

J_R
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes you do ha, and no problem. Not sure how much validity is in it. Jason La Canfora said nothing to it.

TexanBorn51
09-05-2010, 02:19 PM

May I add to this and if it happens let's have a happy Labor Day weekend
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/nfl-news-aaron-schobel-thinking-of-returning.html

mexican_texan
09-05-2010, 02:24 PM

An old guy retiring and conventionally unretiring after training camp? What a novel concept.

SheTexan
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
May I add to this and if it happens let's have a happy Labor Day weekend
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/09/nfl-news-aaron-schobel-thinking-of-returning.html

WOW TexanBorn!! You just made my day! Keepin my fingers crossed!

J_R
09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Texans claim former Red Raider and Dallas Cowboy CB Jamar Wall (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/nfl/2010/09/jamar-wall-lands-in-houston.html)

TexanBorn51
09-05-2010, 03:11 PM
WOW TexanBorn!! You just made my day! Keepin my fingers crossed!
PockyAF makin ur day too I see posted to that before me just didn't know

dalemurphy
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Texans claim former Red Raider and Dallas Cowboy CB Jamar Wall (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/nfl/2010/09/jamar-wall-lands-in-houston.html)

Analysis from CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125863):

Read & React: Reads the body language and routes of receivers. Gets too aggressive, biting on pump fakes and double moves, but rarely is fooled twice. Attacks running plays to his side. Gets to other receivers when a teammate loses track of them.

Man Coverage: Coverage skills made opponents wary of throwing at Wall. Usually plays off in press-bail coverage, but he has the long arms and strong arms to be physical with receivers coming off the line. Good backpedal -- stays low and quick. Capable of sticking to his man in coverage on any route. Will be out-muscled downfield by larger receivers. Offenses try to take advantage of his lack of height in the red zone, but he has the vertical to compete against taller receivers.

Zone Coverage: Was left on an island in Tech's defense, but displays headiness and good change-of-direction ability to close on underneath routes.

Closing/Recovery: Reacts to the ball in the air, takes the correct angle when attacking the receiver to separate the ball from its target or secure the tackle. Good recovery speed after biting on double moves, but will resort to bumping receivers instead of trusting his speed.

Run Support: Usually positioned off the line, but does not tackle like a converted running back. Closes on the run quickly and wraps up consistently. Uses long arms and strength to stay clear or rip off most receiver blocks, but forces action inside if he can't disengage.

Tackling: Likes to hit, puts ballcarriers on the ground with a strong shoulder. Generally solid tackling in space, does not need to resort to cut tackling to bring down backs or receivers. Misses tackles occasionally when trying to make a hit. Should be an outstanding special teams gunner because of his speed and aggressiveness.

Intangibles: Does not back down from a challenge. Teammates respect his hard work and coaches trust him to be in the right spot and make the big play. Ran for 477 yards on 20 kickoff returns in 2008 and could get a chance there in training camp because of his strong running style.

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Did they put him on the PS or on the 53?

Maddict5
09-05-2010, 03:40 PM
dude can hit based on his youtube vids anyway

Lucky
09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Did they put him on the PS or on the 53?
If he's a waiver claim, he must be put on the roster.

JB
09-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Texans claim Nixon

Texas claimed LB David Nixon from the Raiders

Link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100905-texans-claim-nixon-and-wall)

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Although I thought we might grab a CB to put on the team, I didn't think it was going to be a rookie.

And then a LB?

I guess we're going to go with 3 RBs to start the season. I'm perturbed we didn't get Bell (or someone)... assuming we don't get anyone else.

thunderkyss
09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
So that puts us at 53, right?

We'll have to cut someone if Schoble comes out of retirement, or if Kubiak wants another QB, right?

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 04:11 PM

We'll have to cut someone if Schoble comes out of retirement, or if Kubiak wants another QB, right?

Or if we want another RB.

Houston_Fanatic
09-05-2010, 04:14 PM

I thought that only applied if you were signing a player off someone else's practice squad, not someone who was cut. And the teams pick over the cut players in order of worst record first ? I could be wrong.....

alphajoker
09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Perhaps I've overlooked it somewhere but has the Texans practice squad been listed yet?

J_R
09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Both players were claimed on waivers(so both are assigned to active roster, roster stands at 53). And havent seen anything yet on the PS

Jeff S.
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM

LZ just reminded Stradley that he talked to Schobel himself, and said Schobel said he wasn't coming back. FWIW. I hope he pulls an "at the time, my mind was made up...".

newtexan
09-05-2010, 04:32 PM
David Nixon !!?,...this LB spot should have been given to Isaiah Greenhouse, at least he's been in camp and knows the system a little.

Texas T
09-05-2010, 04:53 PM

JBs quote said that they released Clark-so still at 52.
I'm betting a QB pick up.

MojoMan
09-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Texans claim Nixon

Texas claimed LB David Nixon from the Raiders

Link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100905-texans-claim-nixon-and-wall)

This from the article:

The Texans have identified seven memers of their eight-man practice squad.

They are: center Brett Helms, Offensive tackle Cole Pemberton, defensive tackle Malcom Sheppard, linebacker Isaiah Greenhouse, safety Torri Williams, receiver Bobby Williams and runningback Chris Ogbonnaya.

The Texans also released linebacker Danny Clark opejning up a spot on their 53-man roster.

No Booty. At least not yet. However, there is still one more spot open on the PS.

drs23
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
JBs quote said that they released Clark-so still at 52.
I'm betting a QB pick up.

And still as 5:00 PM Cush is still listed on the roster. So that's still 2 spots, huh?

rmartin65
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I dont understand PS'ing Helms. He has not impressed me.

I like the other pick ups though.

Carr Bombed
09-05-2010, 05:02 PM
This from the article:

No Booty. At least not yet. However, there is still one more spot open on the PS.

So what's up with Jeremiah Johnson???

Are we bringing him back?

MojoMan
09-05-2010, 05:04 PM

They can revisit that when he comes off of IR/PUP (whichever he is on).

houstonspartan
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Pick-ups seem solid. We will see. I am impressed with how they are methodically addressing all of our holes. The vibe theyr'e giving off is that they have a plan and a vision and is executing it. We'll see.

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM

When he gets healthy I imagine we will find a spot for him either on the PS or the roster.

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
They can revisit that when he comes off of IR/PUP (whichever he is on).

I don't think hes on either, hes just a FA right now that we reached an injury settlement with.

MojoMan
09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't think hes on either, hes just a FA right now that we reached an injury settlement with.

OK then. When he gets over his injury, the Texans can revisit JJ's situation with him as a FA, if they still want to.

False Start
09-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Schobel's agent was just on 610, and said he cant really say anything. He also added a "you never know." :thinking:

GP
09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Schobel's agent was just on 610, and said he cant really say anything. He also added a "you never know." :thinking:

Translation of the agent's comments: We're working on the dollars, and we want more than what the Texans probably want to give up.

He's saying there's communication, but he can't give specifics.

To me, that's indicating the issue is money.

I'd rather Schobel have that last spot than Leinart. Anybody agree?

dalemurphy
09-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Translation of the agent's comments: We're working on the dollars, and we want more than what the Texans probably want to give up.

I think I'd rather have Schobel taking snaps that Leinart!

JB
09-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Hell Yeah!

Jackie Chiles

If it came down to Schobel or Leinart I think everyone would prefer Schobel. I doubt thats what is comes down to though. More likely they take both and cut someone like Nading or someone else with some PS eligibility. Is Nading still eligible anyway?

rmartin65

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees.

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Timing of this interview sure seems like there might be something to it. Did you catch the whole interview?

False Start
09-05-2010, 07:07 PM

Sounds like it might be. I would rather have Dave Ragone than Leinart.

False Start
09-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Timing of this interview sure seems like there might be something to it. Did you catch the whole interview?

Yeah, it was just a brief 3-4 minute segment, he said that the rumors were 95% false, thats when he added the "you never know." He said that he wasn't really able to say much more than that, so that might be why he threw the 95% thing in there, just so he wouldn't violate any NFL rules on negotiations.

C Madd
09-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Would rather have BJ Symons

LikeMike
09-05-2010, 07:14 PM
On the one hand I´d be thrilled about Schobel - but didn`t he state in an interview not that long ago, that he wants to eat and don`t know if it would be fair to an organization if he signed, since he wouldn`t be 100% comitted? I mean right now it would seem like it is only about cashing in for another season.

But of course a well motivated Schobel who didn`t slack off while those other guys sweat in training camp could really put this team over the top.

As for Leinhart - all the talent but not the heart... I don`t think this guy will ever be a real player in the NFL - but as a backup that comes cheap I guess I´d be alright.

Buffi2
09-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds like it might be. I would rather have Dave Ragone than Leinart.

I'd rather almost anybody except Leinart. We've "done" the QB bust thing - we don't need to do it again. Besides, the dude has an attitude and I don't mean that in a good way.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
How did we end up picking up the Cowboys' CB Wall? He had a terrible T/C and preseason. He played as backup to Cletis Gordon and Bryan McCann, both who also got the axe. Maybe they plan on surpising us by converting him to QB.:backsout:

ObsiWan
09-05-2010, 07:36 PM
How did we end up picking up the Cowboys' CB Wall? He had a terrible T/C and preseason. He played as backup to Cletis Gordon and Bryan McCann, both who also got the axe. Maybe they plan on surpising us by converting him to TE.:backsout:

fixed it for you
:cow:

ChampionTexan
09-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Would not be excited about Leinart to put it mildly, unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm thinking the name currently filling the roster spot Schobel takes if he un-retires isn't "Vacant", I think it's either "Nading" or "Jamison".

I don't think signing Schobel precludes us from also signing Leinart (or some other QB), and vice-versa.

gary
09-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I say pay Arron but that's just my opinion.

alphajoker
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I say pay Arron but that's just my opinion.

you mean schobel? i didn't think it was a money issue with him not signing with the Texans. what do you mean by just pay him?

GP
09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Would rather have BJ Symons

Graham Harrell.

I think he's better than he's been treated. In fact, the 9ers should get all over that since they got Crabtree. That would be like gold. 49er gold.

gary
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Schobel's agent was just on 610, and said he cant really say anything. He also added a "you never know." :thinking:This led me to think so but I might be wrong though.

alphajoker
09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, in that case you never know...I wouldnt be mad if we signed for a year.

gary
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, in that case you never know...I wouldnt be mad if we signed for a year.
I don't know what the hold up would be but 95 percent of the time probably more it is money.

Big Lou
09-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I think we are trading for Revis........J/K

I tell you though we could obviously trade a TE, but one other thought would be Jacoby. I don't want to see him traded, but his value is high right now, and if he breaks out this year is gonna want to get paid!!!! It's one of those might as well get something for him deals.

Big Lou
09-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I think we are trading for Revis........J/K

I tell you though we could obviously trade a TE, but one other thought would be Jacoby. I don't want to see him traded, but his value is high right now, and if he breaks out this year he is gonna want to get paid!!!! It's one of those might as well get something for him deals.

TexanBacker93
09-05-2010, 09:51 PM
OK then. When he gets over his injury, the Texans can revisit JJ's situation with him as a FA, if they still want to.

Didn't Kubiak say something to the effect that it would be a 4-6 week recovery? Maybe the thought is to cut Nixon when Cushing is available and Wall when Johnson is healthy. I can't imagine them really needing 6 corners. Once Cushing is back I wouldn't think they'd carry 7 LBs. I'd rather not see Leinart filling the last roster spot unless he pays the Texans. It'd be great to see Schobel replace Nading on the D-Line.

Texans34Life
09-05-2010, 09:57 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Reports of Aaron Schobel considering a return to football with the Texans are not correct, according to a source close to the situation

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Reports of Aaron Schobel considering a return to football with the Texans are not correct, according to a source close to the situation

Between LaCanfora and McClain, they've be making lots of hay with Schobel over the last few weeks. Wonder how much they get paid for each hit on their sites.:cool:

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I trust LaCanfora more than McClain.

I think Schobel's off the table.

That means we're trying to figure out what to do with: Leinart (yuck), JDB, and Jeremiah Johnson.

Texans34Life
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Interesting Sun waiver claims: RB Kregg Lumpkin from GB claimed by DEN, HOU, SEA & TB (awarded to TB by waiver order

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 10:12 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Interesting Sun waiver claims: RB Kregg Lumpkin from GB claimed by DEN, HOU, SEA & TB (awarded to TB by waiver order

I'd prefer for us to use that last roster spot on a RB. I think that would be the most beneficial to us.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd prefer for us to use that last roster spot on a RB. I think that would be the most beneficial to us.

We're going to need it.

GP
09-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Between LaCanfora and McClain, they've be making lots of hay with Schobel over the last few weeks. Wonder how much they get paid for each hit on their sites.:cool:

Well, that definitely IS interesting.