PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gibbs abrubtly resigns from Seahawks

JB
09-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Seattle OL coach Alex Gibbs, an all-time great assistant coach, abruptly resigned a week before Seahawks opening game. More at ESPN.com.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Wow!

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Wow.

I don't really know what else to say.

Wonder if they had some sort of personality clash or if Carroll wanted to tinker with Gibbs' running game.

Hervoyel
09-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I sincerely hope he enjoys retirement this time and does not return to Houston in any capacity. I appreciate everything he did for us but I think we're good right now and don't need any more help.

JB
09-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Wow.

I don't really know what else to say.

Wonder if they had some sort of personality clash or if Carroll wanted to tinker with Gibbs' running game.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the cuts, including Whosyourmama. Perhaps he doesn't like the fact that team has very few weapons, and perhaps his influence isn't so much.

I sincerely hope he enjoys retirement this time and does not return to Houston in any capacity. I appreciate everything he did for us but I think we're good right now and don't need any more help.

Totally agree.

edo783
09-04-2010, 06:17 PM

That would be my guess.

b0ng
09-04-2010, 06:18 PM
This far into it, I have to think it's a cancer diagnosis, or a death in the immediate family.

JB
09-04-2010, 06:26 PM
This may have a bearing also...

Seahawks traded a late-round 2011 draft pick to Philadelphia for OL Stacy Andrews.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

I don't really see Andrews fitting Gibbs style

J_R
09-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Now being told #Seahawks (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Seahawks) OL coach Alex Gibbs is retiring. He was "worn out."

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I remember reading something earlier in the year, where he wasn't sold on doing this much longer anyway. Heck, we pulled him out of retirement.

I thought he was just going to help tweak their program, and be on his way anyway.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I remember reading something earlier in the year, where he wasn't sold on doing this much longer anyway. Heck, we pulled him out of retirement.

I thought he was just going to help tweak their program, and be on his way anyway.

Yep, I would imagine they are now tweaked as hell thanks to him.

Texans34Life
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/04/seahawks-assistant-alex-gibbs-resigns/

In a surprising move just eight days before the season opener, Seahawks offensive line coach Alex Gibbs has resigned.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Gibbs' resignation was abrupt, and it's not quite clear why he did it.

However, Schefter notes that some think Gibbs may have resigned as a response to some of Seattle's recent roster moves. It's also possible that Gibbs, who announced his retirement in 2007 only to return to coaching in 2008, feels burned out.

But whatever the reasons, just eight months after Pete Carroll called hiring Gibbs an "outstanding achievement," Carroll now needs to find a competent replacement.

J_R
09-04-2010, 09:31 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74963

thunderkyss
09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I have to change my opinion of my earlier post. I saw a report on NFLN, that the 'Hawks found out about this as surprisingly as we did. Someone walked into his office, and noticed all his stuff was gone.

Sounds like he was pissed, and didn't want to deal with it.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I have to change my opinion of my earlier post. I saw a report on NFLN, that the 'Hawks found out about this as surprisingly as we did. Someone walked into his office, and noticed all his stuff was gone.

Now, how could a such a nice sweet man like Carroll have pissed off such an even keeled calm man like Gibbs?:kitten:

Wolf6151
09-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Congrats on retirement Mr. Gibbs, don't take this the wrong way but we've moved on from you and don't need your assitance any more.

TexanExile
09-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Weird. After all those years at USC you'd think Pete Carroll would be a salary cap genius.

Should be a good NFL coach to work for.

TheRealJoker
09-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I think Dennison is more likely to adapt his scheme to the players and the opponent matchups, which will allow our OL to perform better than it did under Gibbs.

Gibbs is the best OL coach of all time, but we are better off moving on.

JB
09-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I think Dennison is more likely to adapt his scheme to the players and the opponent matchups, which will allow our OL to perform better than it did under Gibbs.

Gibbs is the best OL coach of all time, but we are better off moving on.

Don't know that I would go that far.

GP
09-06-2010, 01:48 AM

He probably didn't like the candy-ass program Pete Carroll is running.

That was a dynamic flawed from the beginning. Pete Carroll is in way over his head in the NFL. There is a reason college coaches do well in NCAA but can't translate it to the NFL. Nick Saban knows all too well what I am talking about.

Pete Carroll, though he denies it, ducked out of USC because he saw what was coming down the pike for the Trojans: Sanctions. He knew the jig was up. Can't say I fault him, but he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire, IMO.

b0ng
09-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I want to see Carroll do Seattle like Petrino did Atlanta. That would be the sweetest ending of all.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
There may be a slim chance that Gibbs ends up in DC in the future?(In some sort of coaching or consultant)

What your think?

Lucky
09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
There may be a slim chance that Gibbs ends up in DC in the future?(In some sort of coaching or consultant)

What your think?
Gibbs had problems with Daddy Shanny, which is why he left the Broncos. Frankly, Alex Gibbs isn't worth all of the trouble. The best thing that came from the Texans hiring Alex Gibbs is that he helped recruit his son, David, as the DB coach.

TheRealJoker
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Don't know that I would go that far.

Who would you put ahead of him?

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Now, how could a such a nice sweet man like Carroll have pissed off such an even keeled calm man like Gibbs?:kitten:

:spit: :lol:

Right!!

JB
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Who would you put ahead of him?

Don't know about ahead of, but there are others in the mix, including Joe Bugel

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't know about ahead of, but there are others in the mix, including Joe Bugel

Isn't Joe Bugel like 97 years old, now???

JB
09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Isn't Joe Bugel like 97 years old, now???

Yes, but if you are talking the best OL coach of all time, you have to include Bugel in the conversation. I am sure that there are others, but I would have to think about it, and I don't do that well...