PDA

View Full Version : Colts-Texans preview(s) thread

Wolf
09-04-2010, 12:12 PM
first off, it is time for the avatar! (thanks to false start)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs484.ash1/26476_1285795825202_1239346820_30739083_5002479_n. jpg

now for the article

Looking Forward to Colts V. Texans In Week One: Matchup That Excites Me

With a winless preseason in the books (first since 2005) we finally have the opener in sight. The Colts open their season in just 9 days, 1pm eastern time next Sunday, at Houston. Even before TC opened everyone had one eye trained on the start of the real season, and one matchup has had me drooling for months now.

Dallas Clark vs Whatever the Texans throw at him

Last year Clark shredded the Texans D for 183 yards and a TD on 23 receptions in the two divisional matchups. Week 8 Clark was a reality check for DROY to be Brian Cushing. The Texans manned Cushing up on Clark with the (predictable) result of a career high 14 receptions and Clark's 2nd of his two 100 yard games last season. The Texans D didn't fare much better Week 12 as Clark caught 9 for 63 with a TD.

Clark's 100 reception, 1,106 yard, 10 TD, 2009 season was impressive, but prorating his performance against the Texans out to a full 16 games gives a 184 reception, 1,464 yard, 8 TD season monster of a year.

...and week 1 the Texans will be without one of the key players used to "contain" Clark last year. Brian Cushing's PED suspension will have him sidelined for the Colts' and Texans' first matchup. Houston's 1st rounder Kareem Jackson rose through their thin secondary to a starting spot, so will probably be needed on the outside against the Colts deep WR corps leaving WLB Zach Diles, backup LB Xavier Adibi, or one of the Texans young, inexperienced and lightly regarded slot corners to face Clark if the Texans want to keep the cover-2 over the top that's been a fixture of Ds facing Peyton Manning since 2006.

Also working in the Colts favor is the addition of Brody Eldridge. In previous years the most effective way to take Clark out of the receiving game was to get so much pressure that the Colts hold Clark in to block (see the Ravens game last year). With a fantastic in-line blocker on the roster and seeing 1st team snaps in preseason the Colts have another option for helping an overwhelmed tackle that keeps Clark out running patterns.

A more seasoned Cushing seemed by far the Texans best option to slow Clark, but without him it seems quite likely he'll rack up another big game on Houston.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/9/3/1667460/looking-forward-to-week-1-matchup

Wolf
09-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Three weeks after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, the Indianapolis Colts center has returned to practice with an eye on the Sept. 12 regular-season opener at Houston.

"Obviously, my hope would be Week 1," Saturday said after Wednesday's practice. "That's always been a goal I've had.

"But I'm definitely not in a position that I can say that's for sure. I'm working toward it."

Saturday, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who has started 156 regular-season games since 1999, went through one-on-one work Tuesday, then delivered some center snaps Wednesday. He's taking it slowly after having his knee 'scoped Aug. 10.

Caldwell said left tackle Charlie Johnson, who hasn't practiced since injuring a foot Aug. 6, is "improving rapidly" as well.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100902/SPORTS03/9020457/1100/sports03/Saturday-back-at-practice

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
With a winless preseason in the books (first since 2005) we finally have the opener in sight.

We beat the Cowboys. Doesn't that count?

EDIT: Oh, this is from the COLTS point of view?

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:06 PM
If Saturday's in there, he's not going to make it through the game. More than likely, also he will be playing like "Friday.":spin: Too heavy, too soon.:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:07 PM
If Saturday's in there, he's not going to make it through the game. More than likely, also he will be playing more like "Friday.":spin: Too heavy, too soon.:kitten:

TexCanada
09-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Our young inexperienced secondary must have Peyton drooling. I sure hope they can step up and get the job done. It is going to be ULTRA important for our D-line to get some pressures to take the load of these young guys.

Norg
09-04-2010, 11:30 PM
i think with cushing out we can cover Clark better

cushing good but we got other LB with better speed then cush and clark is such a light TE its almost like hes a WR so i think whoever we put on him he will pan out better

DexmanC
09-04-2010, 11:36 PM
i think with cushing out we can cover Clark better

cushing good but we got other LB with better speed then cush and clark is such a light TE its almost like hes a WR so i think whoever we put on him he will pan out better

If we can hang with the Colts with Morlon Greenwood at SAM, we
can also do the same with Adibi, Clark, or Sharpton.

spurstexanstros
09-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Mario better plant their qb i expect to see a Peyton tree growing out of the field at Reliant when I return to see the Texans in week 3.

I am so sick of Substitute Jesus and all his commercials...he needs to go away. Indianapolis needs to return to a time when it was a city that no one cared about until memorial day and a time when a Cheryl Miller look alike played basketball there and not the earthly home to he who died for our sins.

Go away Peyton...would anyone on our team a late hit on that guy? If so I will adopt him as player. NFL may ban them for life but it would be nice to see.

HJam72
09-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Migraines. The man needs to have migraines. :splits:

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Mario better plant their qb i expect to see a Peyton tree growing out of the field at Reliant when I return to see the Texans in week 3.

I am so sick of Substitute Jesus and all his commercials...he needs to go away. Indianapolis needs to return to a time when it was a city that no one cared about until memorial day and a time when a Cheryl Miller look alike played basketball there and not the earthly home to he who died for our sins.

Go away Peyton...would anyone on our team a late hit on that guy? If so I will adopt him as player. NFL may ban them for life but it would be nice to see.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.:)

TimeKiller
09-05-2010, 09:15 AM
It's gonna be a barn burner to open the season. I don't think there is any way in hell the Colts D stops the Texans offense, especially if Foster's goin off and controlling the ball. I think we're going to see a lot of crazy defensive scheming to throw off Peyton, hopefully Adibi's speed helps nullify Clark's game but the real matchup is the pass rush vs. Peyton. If they can cut him off Texans will win. If not....

b0ng
09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Not going to lie, this is shaping up to be one of the best openers I've seen in at least 3 years. How much of underdogs are we in this one? +3?

drs23
09-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Not going to lie, this is shaping up to be one of the best openers I've seen in at least 3 years. How much of underdogs are we in this one? +3?

Last line I saw yesterday had us @ +2 1/2

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Manning is 4-1 in his last 5 Week 1 games.

Bookies expecting a total points of 46 1/2.

b0ng
09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Manning is 4-1 in his last 5 Week 1 games.

Bookies expecting a total points of 46 1/2.

It would not surprise me for each team to put up 24 points respectively. That's not the greatest bet in the world.

Andre_Johnson
09-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I'll admit that with Dallas Clark being covered by Cushing he certainly got his numbers, but I remember those two games pretty clearly. Brian had a combined 23 Tackles with an interception in the second game of the season, all while covering Clark man-to-man.

Also, Bernard Pollard had a couple of interceptions in the first game they played against each other last year so he'll be looking for more.

However, we did only average two sacks a game in both games last season. We definitely need to wreck a little more havoc on Peyton to get him out of rhythm and give our young DBs a chance to cover the pass.

b0ng
09-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I'll admit that with Dallas Clark being covered by Cushing he certainly got his numbers, but I remember those two games pretty clearly. Brian had a combined 23 Tackles with an interception in the second game of the season, all while covering Clark man-to-man.

Also, Bernard Pollard had a couple of interceptions in the first game they played against each other last year so he'll be looking for more.

However, we did only average two sacks a game in both games last season. We definitely need to wreck a little more havoc on Peyton to get him out of rhythm and give our young DBs a chance to cover the pass.

Manning is notoriously hard to sack by himself. His release is damn near instantaneous and brutal against blitzes at finding the open guy.

Andre_Johnson
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Manning is notoriously hard to sack by himself. His release is damn near instantaneous and brutal against blitzes at finding the open guy.

Agreed, I hate Peyton for being so good...

ATXtexanfan
09-05-2010, 11:55 AM
our ground game and pass rush have to excell

Jeff S.
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I've thought long and hard about this, and discovered the secret:

We need pressure by our front four!

Pretty brilliant, huh?

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I've thought long and hard about this, and discovered the secret:

We need pressure by our front four!

Pretty brilliant, huh?

You, sir, are a GENIUS.

Is this actually Bob McNair posting under a fake name? :thinking:

HJam72
09-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Okoye in the backfield would be nice. The team dang sure paid for it...

Hervoyel
09-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Okoye in the backfield would be nice. The team dang sure paid for it...

I think this is so incredibly important. Pressure, such that it is here in Houston will be had from the outside. We've all watched Mario sweep around the outside to within a step or so of Manning over and over again since 2006 with little to show for it. Jugghead steps forward into the cozy confines of where Amobi Okoye is supposed to be wreaking havoc and then throws a strike to some open WR, TE, or RB.

Okoye needs to get some consistent pressure in the middle so that Peyton can get some quality time on the turf under Mario Williams and Conner Barwin.

Don't worry about our secondary because Reggie Wayne & Co. are going to get theirs. Don't worry about trying to cover Dallas Clark because last season he had great games and we still should have won at least one if not both of them. He's going to get his too. The point is somebody needs to get inside Peyton Manning's helmet and rattle his brain around a bit. Peyton goes untouched too often. He needs to re-familiarize himself with football as a contact sport.

thunderkyss
09-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Here's my plan.

If you're a DE, and you see a TE in front of you, run through him to get to the QB. Don't let him get off the line clean. Our LB needs to play over the top of the TE, once he gets his release off the line, get your hands on him (as long as the ball isn't in the air), and make that the hardest 5 yards he's ever ran.

If you're rushing the QB, and a RB gets in your way, run him over, knock him on his ass. Very similar to that play against New Orleans, when Cushing was picked up by the RB setting the screen. He got a little more of Cushing than what he expected, & Brees just threw it away.

Offensively, we need to be a better screen team than they are. We need to make good on draw plays as well. Our tackles need to run their DEs wide, get them out of the play, and run the ball off tackle.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Here's my plan.

If you're a DE, and you see a TE in front of you, run through him to get to the QB. Don't let him get off the line clean. Our LB needs to play over the top of the TE, once he gets his release off the line, get your hands on him (as long as the ball isn't in the air), and make that the hardest 5 yards he's ever ran.

If you're rushing the QB, and a RB gets in your way, run him over, knock him on his ass. Very similar to that play against New Orleans, when Cushing was picked up by the RB setting the screen. He got a little more of Cushing than what he expected, & Brees just threw it away.

Offensively, we need to be a better screen team than they are. We need to make good on draw plays as well. Our tackles need to run their DEs wide, get them out of the play, and run the ball off tackle.

We better also learn not to overpursue.

Wolf6151
09-06-2010, 10:37 PM
On offense we need to play a ball control/clock management game with a great running game thus keeping Peyton off the field. We also need to score TD's and not fieldgoals. On defense we need pressure from our front 4, great coverage from our young CB's (that's gonna be difficult), and the LB that covers Clark should knock the shit out of him at the LOS thus knocking him on his butt. He can't catch the ball if he's laying on the ground.

Norg
09-06-2010, 10:49 PM
u think we will try any onside kicks or 2 point conversions if we get the lead ???? or go for it on 4th and short

anything to keep manning on the bench ya know

thats the key to winning this game IMO how can we win time of possesion and keep manning on the bench and maybe he will even get cold

and the key to that is not punting onside kicks a 2 point conversions

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2010, 10:50 PM
The thing about the Colts is that you've got to score and you need to find a way to slow Peyton down.

Last year, the Dolphin's played Kubiak's slow-down run game strategy that he used to beat the Colts that one time and the Dolphin's played it almost perfectly... and still lost the game. You've got to run to give your defense a chance to breathe and study what Peyton's doing but you've also got to convert all those possessions to TDs. You can't just control TOP without converting.

Your defense also has to not break. The Dolphins lost because they just gave up big, quick scores. You've got to get pressure from your front 4 and you've got to choose and use your blitzes carefully. Peyton does his worst against physical defenses like the Ravens and the Niners. So we've got to out-physical them.

Last year, we played them almost perfectly twice. But each time, we lost focus and let them back in the game. We can't give them the ball and we can't have another 10+ penalty game against them and expect to win.

For me, there are 2 differences in this game: Arian Foster and Owen Daniels. We almost beat them last year with Moats running for 38 yards in one game and Slaton and Brown combining for 113 yards rushing in another and with almost no production from our TEs.

Norg
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
i think everything has been covered other then we got to watch ot for addai and the check down manning throws to him

other then that i wonder if any of the coaches got some trickery up ther sleave

beerlover
09-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for posting, I'm tied of discussing the Texans 3rd string QB, its the season opener & its the Colts....at Relient or should I say the Slauterhouse

However the Texans can accomplish this I don't care but they have to compress the pocket & knock Manning around combined with rookie Kareem Jackson & second year CB's Glover Quinn jamming those Indy receivers line of scrimmage to throw off timing. This is Dallas Clark time. Last year the Texans used a rookie, Brian Cushing in single coverage, it was a long day, he competed well but why not move DeMeco to SAM & assign him this task, leave Diles WILL & let Sharpton clean up trash in the middle? Of course their must be a line drawn in the sand just how deep in coverage DeMeco ranges following Clark, I don't want to see him drawn too far off the line of scrimmage, maybe 15-20 yd range, these will be quick hitch routes, then have Pollard crash down over the top.

Different match-ups call for adjustments & this one is key to the defense slowing down a great tandem (Manning to Clarke). Put your best player on their best player & let the chips fall where they may :)

BigBull17
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Our young inexperienced secondary must have Peyton drooling. I sure hope they can step up and get the job done. It is going to be ULTRA important for our D-line to get some pressures to take the load of these young guys.

I kind of agree. He knows one is a rookie and the other is young, but he doesn't have alot of game tape on them. He isn't going to like that.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2010, 09:25 AM
On offense we need to play a ball control/clock management game with a great running game thus keeping Peyton off the field. We also need to score TD's and not fieldgoals. On defense we need pressure from our front 4, great coverage from our young CB's (that's gonna be difficult), and the LB that covers Clark should knock the shit out of him at the LOS thus knocking him on his butt. He can't catch the ball if he's laying on the ground.

Agreed! If we can't run the ball we will likely lose. Manning's going to put points on the board. It's just a matter of limiting his chances to do so.

drs23
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I kind of agree. He knows one is a rookie and the other is young, but he doesn't have alot of game tape on them. He isn't going to like that.

He'll have the Indy archivers going back to Pee Wee league for that tape! :kitten:

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting, I'm tied of discussing the Texans 3rd string QB, its the season opener & its the Colts....at Relient or should I say the Slauterhouse

However the Texans can accomplish this I don't care but they have to compress the pocket & knock Manning around combined with rookie Kareem Jackson & second year CB's Glover Quinn jamming those Indy receivers line of scrimmage to throw off timing. This is Dallas Clark time. Last year the Texans used a rookie, Brian Cushing in single coverage, it was a long day, he competed well but why not move DeMeco to SAM & assign him this task, leave Diles WILL & let Sharpton clean up trash in the middle? Of course their must be a line drawn in the sand just how deep in coverage DeMeco ranges following Clark, I don't want to see him drawn too far off the line of scrimmage, maybe 15-20 yd range, these will be quick hitch routes, then have Pollard crash down over the top.

Different match-ups call for adjustments & this one is key to the defense slowing down a great tandem (Manning to Clarke). Put your best player on their best player & let the chips fall where they may :)

I expect us to go almost entirely nickel and pull one of the LBs off the field. So we'll probably go with Ryans and rotate Diles and Adibi situationally. I expect to see a lot of 3 and even 2 man lines with Mario and Connor with their hands off the ground and either dropping back into zones just trying to clog and confuse the passing lanes or blitzing from random locations to try to confuse the blocking schemes. I expect to see a lot of Antonio, Mario, and Connor on the field at the same time.

This is the time for Bush to pull out all the stops and show what his defense is capable of.

TheCD
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
anything to keep manning on the bench ya know

I have always despised this strategy. It essentially assumes that Peyton is unstoppable and there's nothing you can do about it if he's on the field.

He's difficult to beat, but he still makes mistakes. I think the key is to play as if you're always down by 2 TD's. If you press the issue and make every drive count, you've got the first step going well.

Then, you've got to find a way to make Peyton make bad decisions. Not easy, obviously, but it's possible. I think the best way is to make him think he HAS to score in order to keep the pressure on him. Make him feel as though he's down by 3 TD's. If he is facing third down and knows it's not life or death, he will take more time to burn you.

Third, and this is absolutely essential...you have to do something different on defense than what Peyton is expecting. The Patriots rode their dynasty on the back of exotic blitzes and zone coveraging Peyton. In those games Peyton threw multiple INT's. If we come out in the same defensive formations we always do, and change up our coverages effectively, Peyton will have a hard time. We actually have the talent to pull off this ingredient now.

I look at Dallas Clark the way my friend looks at Kobe Bryant. If you let Kobe score his points, and just stop everyone else, he can't score enough points to beat you.

Let Dallas have his catches and look good for the fantasy buffs. But make sure those catches are over the middle. Make him pay for catching the football and he'll stone-hand a few. Most important is keeping him (and the entire team) from gettings YAC's.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Agreed! If we can't run the ball we will likely lose. Manning's going to put points on the board. It's just a matter of limiting his chances to do so.

No. It's about getting him off the field with 3-and-outs by our defense. Remember that Miami-Indy game last year (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290921015) when Miami controlled the clock to the point that the time of possession was 45:07 to 14:52 in favor of the 'Phins. Miami lost 27-23.

We need to stop his a$$ not play keepaway.

silvrhand
09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd prefer to have someone hit him so hard that he doesn't wake till Tuesday :) I don't think I've ever seen anyone really just unload on him, would be interesting to see his reaction after a few of those.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I'd prefer to have someone hit him so hard that he doesn't wake till Tuesday :) I don't think I've ever seen anyone really just unload on him, would be interesting to see his reaction after a few of those.

While part of me shares that sentiment, I'd rather beat the Colts with him on the field, just like New Orleans did. When we can do that, we become the big dawgs on the block. It'll be time for him to be skeerd of US. That's what I want to see.

Jeff S.
09-07-2010, 01:42 PM
While part of me shares that sentiment, I'd rather beat the Colts with him on the field, just like New Orleans did. When we can do that, we become the big dawgs on the block. It'll be time for him to be skeerd of US. That's what I want to see.

Absolutely right. I want their best shot, and that means Peyton's best shot. And Romo's and Vince & CJ's. How tired are you of hearing about how Michael Jordan's sitting out was the only reason the Rockets won their championships? Enough of that.

Texas T
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Most definitely!!
I don't want anybody to say we only won because The Forehead was out!
That being said I would not be adverse to a 4 sack day (hope they're studying the Packers game).

HOU-TEX
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
No. It's about getting him off the field with 3-and-outs by our defense. Remember that Miami-Indy game last year (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290921015) when Miami controlled the clock to the point that the time of possession was 45:07 to 14:52 in favor of the 'Phins. Miami lost 27-23.

We need to stop his a$$ not play keepaway.

Our only win against the Colts was because we ran the ball. I think our D has gotten a little better, but honestly, do we really want to rely on our defense to force Manning to have 3 and outs? Hmm, I'd say we'd have better odds at running the ball than holding Manning to 3 and outs.

beerlover
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Our only win against the Colts was because we ran the ball. I think our D has gotten a little better, but honestly, do we really want to rely on our defense to force Manning to have 3 and outs? Hmm, I'd say we'd have better odds at running the ball than holding Manning to 3 and outs.

I would like to see Kubiak/Dennison use more screens & check downs to soften up that Colt pass rush, reportedly both Mathis & Freeney are 100% healthy. Texans battle cry - disrupt Manning/weapons, ball control offense & win the turnover battle. Not sure the Texans D can stop Manning or Freeney/Mathis so yes I agree running the ball will be key but not convinced Texans can dominate like Dayne did that one win (expecting something along those lines from Ben Tate not Arian Foster). I hope Vonta Leach gets more touches, he can pile drive between the tackles or receive out of the backfield & hurt people running downhill.... :bowser:

Texan_Bill
09-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Yup... Your favorite player, Ron Dayne, rushed 32 times for 153 yards.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Dude? There was a reason I left the name of our RB out of my post. :mad:

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Well, waitaminit now, that's only part of the story.

Another reason we won is because we got up on them early - 14-zip after forcing an early turnover on their end of the field and turning that T/O into 7 pts.

We were up 21-14 at the half. Manning was the one playing from behind for a change.

Manning had two possessions in the whole 3rd qtr during which we forced a punt and made them settle for 3 pts after an 11-play drive. That's the kind of defense I'm talking about. And, call me crazy (which some of you probably have :) ) I'm thinking our D is a bit better today than it was in 2006 when we had Faggins, Greenwood, Maddox, etc.

It also helped that we played a turnover free game and only had 4 penalties the whole game.

Now I do appreciate your thinking. If we have the ball Manning can't score. Totally logical. But, I say again, playing keepaway didn't help Miami win. Playing error-free ball, putting up 7 instead of 3 whenever we visit the scoring zone, make them settle for FGs instead of us. Make THEM play catch up. That's the way I'd like to see us win.

But, hey, I'll take whatever I can get as long as we win.
:D

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM

that brings another question to mind, I heard Big Nasty was brought in for a tryout; any word on how that went?? Are they keeping his name on speed dial in case one of our guys goes down?
Or did he totally flunk out?

drs23
09-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Another reason we won is because we got up on them early - 14-zip after forcing an early turnover on their end of the field and turning that T/O into 7 pts.

We were up 21-14 at the half. Manning was the one playing from behind for a change.

Manning had two possessions in the whole 3rd qtr during which we forced a punt and made them settle for 3 pts after an 11-play drive. That's the kind of defense I'm talking about. And, call me crazy (which some of you probably have :) ) I'm thinking our D is a bit better today than it was in 2006 when we had Faggins, Greenwood, Maddox, etc.

It also helped that we played a turnover free game and only had 4 penalties the whole game.

Now I do appreciate your thinking. If we have the ball Manning can't score. Totally logical. But, I say again, playing keepaway didn't help Miami win. Playing error-free ball, putting up 7 instead of 3 whenever we visit the scoring zone, make them settle for FGs instead of us. Make THEM play catch up. That's the way I'd like to see us win.

:goodpost: All that and Arian Foster will run it down their throats. We will pound the rock!

thunderkyss
09-07-2010, 07:43 PM

11/29/09

The Colts scored on the opening possesion of the third Qtr, making it 20-14. We got two possessions, 1 ended in an interception, the other ended a punt, after 4 plays.

The Colts got 0 points on the possession after the INT. They missed a field goal after the possession in which we punted.

We got the ball a third time, 4 plays, punt.

They get the ball & score a TD after we give up a 17 yard PI. 21-20 Colts

We get the ball, 2 passes into it, another INT. Returned for 6. 27-20 Colts

We get the ball back, 8 plays into it, Matt's stripped of the Ball, Colts recover.

23 yard TD run, some guy named Simpson. 35-20 Colts

With 2:52 on the clock, we use all but 25 seconds to score a TD. 35-27 Colts.

We try an onside kick, they recover, game over.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
On defense, we have to keep ALL plays as close to the LOS as posssible. Their receivers, which include their TE, have to be jammed with knockout force before they ever get to test our FS. And even if Manning can't be sacked, make sure the Texans colors become impregnated on his uni. :texflag:

drs23
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
On defense, we have to keep ALL plays as close to the LOS as posssible. Their receivers, which include their TE, have to be jammed with knockout force before they ever get to test our FS. And even if Manning can't be sacked, make sure the Texans colors become impregnated on his uni. :texflag:

^^^^This

Norg
09-08-2010, 02:19 AM
i sure hope to jesus our O line can push there D line around didnt the colts get bigger in the middle and a litle bigger in there Lbers gotz me thinking the speed that the colts had on D went down a few notches mix that in with foster is faster then slaton and yeahhh

toronto
09-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Gameplanning against the Colts is a royal pain in the ass.

Simply put, their QB is the difference between them being a 5-11ish team to being a contender every year. No one for the most part has been able to stop them, no matter what.

The only time last year I saw a team play a great defensive half was the Jets in the AFC Championship. They blitzed, disguised blitzes, ran at least 15 different looks at the LOS, plus they had a special bonus - a shutdown CB that locked down his side of the entire field.

Sure the Saints won the SB and lord knows we can break down why, but in terms of gameplanning, I thought what the Jets threw at Peyton was the best coaching I had seen on D all year against that offense.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
An in detail analysis af what we have facing us Sunday.

2010 NFL Preview, Indianapolis Colts: Still The Team To Beat In (http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/8/1676360/2010-nfl-preview-indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning)

Introduction

The Indianapolis Colts are accustomed to breaking records. Now, in 2010, they have a rather daunting one placed before them: Be the first team since the 1972 Miami Dolphins to win a Super Bowl the year after losing it.

Irony once again smiles in the face of the Colts, who spent all of the 2009 season ducking and dodging comparisons to the 1972 Dolphins, the only team in NFL history to go undefeated for an entire season. Once again, the shadow of that team drapes over Jim Caldwell and his Colts. Whether they like it or not, it is 'Super Bowl Or Bust' for the defending AFC Champions, and for good reason. The 2010 Colts are fielding one of the strongest and deepest teams they've had in quite some time.

Significant Offseason Additions/Subtractions

As per the Colts standard modus operandi, big name free agents are not how team president Bill Polian re-fuels his team during an off-season. The two most important 'additions' for these Colts are the return of two established veterans who missed virtually all of the 2009 season, including the playoffs. The oft-injured Bob Sanders and Anthony Gonzalez return to a Colts team that nearly won the Super Bowl without them. Stands to reason that if you add these two already potent players into a championship-caliber mix, it's like adding two 'free agents.'

Key for both players, especially Sanders, is going what they have had difficultly doing throughout their careers: Staying healthy.

Other important additions include the fifth round tight end, H-Back from Oklahoma, Brody Eldridge. Eldridge provides the Colts something they haven't had since the days of Ken Dilger in the very early years of the Bill Polian era, a blocking tight end who can also run intermediate routes. Eldridge is already slotted in as the team's second tight end, and considering the Colts run a base two tight end offense, fans should expect to see a lot of Eldridge in 2010. Another key rookie is first round pick Jerry Hughes a pass rushing defensive end from TCU. Hughes was taken to alleviate some of the pass rushing pressure off of superstars Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

While the Colts did part ways with longtime veterans like Raheem Brock and Freddy Keiaho it is the release of offensive lineman Ryan Lilja that was the most puzzling. Lilja was the Colts best interior guard in 2009, and for a team looking to upgrade their line, the release of Lilja back in March still has not been fully explained.

Offense

The Colts offense fields the best quarterback of his generation in Peyton Manning. Four league MVPs. That's an NFL record, in case you didn't know. At 34 years old, Manning continues to redefine what a quarterback can do in the modern passing league. 2009 was his first season without his longtime security blanket, Marvin Harrison. In Week One, Harrison's replacement (Anthony Gonzalez) went down in a heap with a knee injury and was done for the season.

What did Manning do?

He threw for 4,500 yards (second most in a single season in his entire career), 33 TDs, and completed nearly 69% of his passes. He worked with then-unknown receiving talents named Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie. He had a new offensive left tackle in Charlie Johnson, and he was given next to no help from his running game (last in the league). Manning's 2009 MVP season might have been his most brilliant, especially when you factor in what he had to work with.

In 2010, receivers Garcon and Austin are a year older, and a year better. Gonzalez is back and will be used in specialty situations. And then, of course, there are Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. Both had 100-catch seasons last year, and both continue to give defensive coordinators nightmares.

If there is a weak spot with the Colts offense, it is the uncertainty of their offensive line. The line was the source of criticism by president Bill Polian after the Colts lost Super Bowl 44. This criticism very much irked the veterans along the line, including Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem. Despite strong suggestions by Polian that changes would happen along the o-line in 2010, the Colts return the exact same starting five, minus Lilja.

Defense

The Colts made significant strides on defense in 2009, solidifying the interior of their defensive line with surprising young players like Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir. In 2010, this unit has the potential to be 'Top Ten' good.

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are the two most feared bookend pass rushers in all of football. However, under year two of coordinator Larry Coyer's 'tweaked' Tampa-2 defense, Colts fans should expect to see more pass rushing from the linebackers and the defensive backs. The return of Bob Sanders will give Coyer more flexibility with the defense. Sanders can both cover and be used as a 'linebacker' type player in Cover-3 looks.

The secondary was a point of emphasis for the Colts during the off-season. Gone are longtime vets Tim Jennings, T.J. Rushing, and Marlin Jackson. Initially replacing them were young, inexperienced draft picks and collegiate free agents. However, after preseason exposed the young secondary, Polian and company decided to change their approach. They signed veteran corner Deshea Townsend on the day training camp started, and made a trade with the Washington Redskins on cutdown day for promising veteran Just Tryon. Townsend and Tryon will provide solid depth behind starters Kelvin Hayden and Jerraud Powers.

Special Teams

The longtime weakness of the club was a source of strength in 2009. The addition of special teams coach Ray Rychleski, and the drafting of punter and kickoff specialist Pat McAfee, greatly improved the Colts kick and punt coverage units. In 2010, the focus has now shifted to improving the kick and punt returns. After a competitive preseason, Devin Moore emerged as the team's new kick returner. Moore, an Indianapolis native and local high school football hero, brings speed and quickness to the return game, something the Colts have not had since the early 1990s when Clarence Verdin was running kicks back for touchdowns.

And speaking of returns, Adam Vinatieri is finally back and healthy for the Colts. The legendary kicker missed most of the 2009 season with hip and leg injuries. Having him back is a big boost to a kicking game that, while accurate last year, lacked distance.

Coaching

Jim Caldwell was placed in a near impossible situation last year. Win it all, and you are seen as nothing more than a caretaker for Tony Dungy's legacy. Lose it, and you are the goat. Despite the heat Caldwell took for benching starters in the Colts Week Sixteen contest against the New York Jets and the team losing Super Bowl 44 to the underdog New Orleans Saints, the general consensus is the first-time NFL head coach did an excellent job managing the club in 2009. His 'tweaks' to the offense and defense, and his decision to replace longtime coordinators Ron Meeks and Russ Purnell, paid off in the form of a 14-2 regular season and a dominant run through the AFC playoffs.

In 2010, there seem to be even more 'tweaks.' Gone is legendary offensive line coach Howard Mudd, retired after yelling at linemen for nearly three decades. Replacing him is his longtime protege in Indianapolis, Pete Metzelaars. Longtime Mudd devotees Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem have taken to Metzelaars, giving him praise for his new emphasis on running the football.

Quite possibly the biggest coaching change is Tom Moore stepping down from his post as offensive coordinator and taking on a more consultant-type role with the team. This means that, for the first time in his professional career, Peyton Manning will have a new coordinator feeding him plays. This new coordinator is longtime receivers coach Clyde Christensen, who is also the team's assistant head coach. Replacing Christensen as the receivers coach is one-time Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner.

Interesting note, 2010 marks some of the most dynamic coaching changes for the Colts since Jim Mora was replaced by Tony Dungy in 2002. The offensive coordinator, offensive line coach, assistant offensive line coach, and receivers coach positions are all manned by new faces.

Conclusion/Prediction for 2010

Expectations are high for the 2010 Colts. It very much is a 'Super Bowl Or Bust' year for them. Anything less than a Lombardi Trophy in Cowboys Stadium in February will be viewed as a disappointment. While teams like the Houston Texans have indeed gotten better, the Indianapolis Colts are still the class of the AFC South. They should win their division and compete for the top seed in the AFC Playoffs.

When you look around the AFC, not too many teams feature the same level of talent and playoff experience the Colts do. And, of course, the 'Manning Factor' makes any Colts team a contender. For 2010, the stories to follow are the re-integration of veterans like Gonzalez and Sanders; the affect a new coordinator and new umpire positioning rules have on the prolific Colts offense; and how the team will overcome the 'Super Bowl Curse' and attempt to do what no teams has done in 38 years.

Win the Super Bowl the year after losing it.

beerlover
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
sounds like the key to beating the Colts is attacking their backfield (weakness) but strength of their defense, pass rush, is a major deterent for Texans to uncover Andre & Co downfield. Still think Kubiak/Dennison have to soften up pass rush by hitting TE's, RB's & Leach underneath then can strike downfield.