PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Derrick Ward

Section516
09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Per ESPN.

Derrick Ward was unceremoniously dumped by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this week, and early speculation sent him to the St. Louis Rams; however, this was debunked by Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

On Friday, multiple sources (including ESPN's Adam Schefter) reported that Ward will visit with the Houston Texans Friday, and that the Seattle Seahawks have also expressed interest.

If those two fall through, another logical destination is the Oakland Raiders, who may be without Michael Bush for up to a quarter of the regular season.

JB
09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1510310&postcount=140

BigBull17
09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Would be a good signing.

Pantherstang84
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Why did Tampa Bay dump him?

Money or injury?

Our RB corps is already loaded with walking wounded. Need a healthy back. Any sign of him not being 100%, then fail his physical.

The1ApplePie
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Money or injury?

Our RB corps is already loaded with walking wounded. Need a healthy back. Any sign of him not being 100%, then fail his physical.

He was paid alot and could not beat out an undrafted rookie

I'd still rather have Maroney

nero THE zero
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Money or injury?

Morris was supposedly upset with Ward's conditioning. There were also reports that Ward was not in TB's "long term plans."

He was also outplayed by Kareem Huggins, who we saw last night, who is younger and cheaper.

whiskeyrbl
09-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Money or injury?

My guess is money because Cadillac is their #1 and they seem to have 2 quality backups they can sign for cheaper. In our current state of RB's he is well worth a look imo.

Thorn
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
They'll have to sign someone, but whoever it is (including Ward) they are only here long enough for our wounded to come back.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
IMO, we should hold tight a bit. Not that I'm saying he'll be signed, but there will be a lot more to choose from soon enough. I have to think there's going to be a better option than Ward.

nero THE zero
09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I have to think there's going to be a better option than Ward.
Who do you think is likely to be cut and would be a better option than Ward?

BigBull17
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
He was paid alot and could not beat out an undrafted rookie

I'd still rather have Maroney

Why? I don't think he is a very good RB. Kinda runs like a girl.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Who do you think is likely to be cut and would be a better option than Ward?

Well, that's why I think we should wait in order to see who's been cut. I'm not sure who's going to be available. I just wouldn't want us to jump on Ward 1st without waiting to see who might hit the waiver wire.

Heck, I might be off-base with this line of thinking. It definitely wouldn''t be the first time. :)

76Texan
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, that's why I think we should wait in order to see who's been cut. I'm not sure who's going to be available. I just wouldn't want us to jump on Ward 1st without waiting to see who might hit the waiver wire.

Heck, I might be off-base with this line of thinking. It definitely wouldn''t be the first time. :)

I don't know if this guy is better, but I'd like to try him out.
Danny Woodhead (Jets), a division II standout 2 years ago.
He was on their PS last year.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, LT, and Joe McKnight.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't know if this guy is better, but I'd like to try him out.
Danny Woodhead (Jets), a division II standout 2 years ago.
He was on their PS last year.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, LT, and Joe McKnight.

I noticed him a lot in HK, but if the Jets were smart they'd keep Woodhead and cut McKnight. Maybe it's just the show, but McKnight seems like a dumbass.

76Texan
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I noticed him a lot in HK, but if the Jets were smart they'd keep Woodhead and cut McKnight. Maybe it's just the show, but McKnight seems like a dumbass.
Wasn't McKnight a 4th rd pick?

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 11:28 AM

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I agree only on the basis if we had another healthy back not named Chris Henry. Last night Kubiak said something to the affect of ' as of right now we have one healthy back...um..I mean two if you count Chris Henry'. Chris Henry had about 3 quarters to give the coaches something to encourage them wanting him on the team for the long haul and I think he failed. The mere fact that Ward is coming in is reason to think the staff doesn't like Henry. Since we don't have another healthy back it makes more sense to get somebody now while we stil got 9 days to get them some plays in. After all we are playing Indianapolis and Ward can make plays.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I agree only on the basis if we had another healthy back not named Chris Henry. Last night Kubiak said something to the affect of ' as of right now we have one healthy back...um..I mean two if you count Chris Henry'. Chris Henry had about 3 quarters to give the coaches something to encourage them wanting him on the team for the long haul and I think he failed. The mere fact that Ward is coming in is reason to think the staff doesn't like Henry. Since we don't have another healthy back it makes more sense to get somebody now while we stil got 9 days to get them some plays in. After all we are playing Indianapolis and Ward can make plays.

Hmm, that kinda makes sense. I hadn't thought of it like that. Eh, I guess we'll see how it unflolds.

BTW, I had to Rep you. Your rep amount was 666, so I gave you a bump to get off that number. :winky:

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Wasn't McKnight a 4th rd pick?

Yeah, he was. I think the Jets even traded up to get him.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I heard that and I was like... Ouch.

Chris may stick around long enough for other guys to get healthy but he doesn't sound like he's one of the four backs that we're going to be going with this season. The problem is that we don't know how long Slaton and Johnson are going to be down. We may need to PUP one of them (if we even can at this point.)

This may force us to cut somebody else that we would have been keeping just so we can bring in some insurance for this position.

barrett
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Jeremiah Johnson has looked very good. I wouldn't expect the Texans to sign Ward if his conditioning is poor. He would be a stop gap measure until Johnson is recovered but I don't think they would dump him after that. Anyone brought in would have to be a good fit. I don't have any faith in Tampa's talent evaluators. As with any FA brought in to Houston, the price will have to be right.

Foster, Slaton, Johnson and Ward would be a pretty deep backfield. Johnson has looked better than Slaton. When healthy and able to pick up blitzes he could move Slaton to a pure 3rd down back.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Hmm, that kinda makes sense. I hadn't thought of it like that. Eh, I guess we'll see how it unflolds.

BTW, I had to Rep you. Your rep amount was 666, so I gave you a bump to get off that number. :winky:

Thank you for that.

Hookem Horns
09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Ward would be a good pickup if the Texans could also get Brandon Jacobs in here. The guy was real good to have when Jacobs was beating up defenses and then you could throw in a fast guy like Ward to pick up big chunks of yards.

He had a real strong 2008 season however as the go to guy he has never performed. Tampa signed him for big money after the '08 season and he did nothing over there.

That all being said, signing him for depth would not be a bad thing. Who knows, maybe throwing him in here and there would produce good results like it did with the Giants.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I heard that and I was like... Ouch.

Chris may stick around long enough for other guys to get healthy but he doesn't sound like he's one of the four backs that we're going to be going with this season. The problem is that we don't know how long Slaton and Johnson are going to be down. We may need to PUP one of them (if we even can at this point.)

This may force us to cut somebody else that we would have been keeping just so we can bring in some insurance for this position.

Anthony Hill gets my vote.

Yankee_In_TX
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Anthony Hill gets my vote.

It's reported Chris just got waived.

False Start
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
If we signed Ward, it has shades of Chris Brown version 2.0, IMO.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
If we signed Ward, it has shades of Chris Brown version 2.0, IMO.

I don't know man. I would say our OL is/was probably better than Tampa's. Also Ward runs with a little more heart than Chris Brown ever did.

Let me ask, who else out there is a good target? I would only see Justin Fargas right now.

False Start
09-03-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't know man. I would say our OL is/was probably better than Tampa's. Also Ward runs with a little more heart than Chris Brown ever did.

Yeah, you may be right. Ward just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Hell, if he was signed, I wouldn't mind being wrong on this. :cool:

BigBull17
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I caught that too. Was kinda funny.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah, you may be right. Ward just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Hell, if he was signed, I wouldn't mind being wrong on this. :cool:

With Chris being waived we may have our answer soon. IIRC, he came in for a visit during FA and we wanted him but not at his asking price.

steelbtexan
09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Jeremiah Johnson has looked very good. I wouldn't expect the Texans to sign Ward if his conditioning is poor. He would be a stop gap measure until Johnson is recovered but I don't think they would dump him after that. Anyone brought in would have to be a good fit. I don't have any faith in Tampa's talent evaluators. As with any FA brought in to Houston, the price will have to be right.

Foster, Slaton, Johnson and Ward would be a pretty deep backfield. Johnson has looked better than Slaton. When healthy and able to pick up blitzes he could move Slaton to a pure 3rd down back.

I really enjoy the BB it has very good insight. But disagree with DM's assertion that he would rather finish 2nd with Kubes than finish 1st with some other coaches.

That's a losers mentality. IMHO

I want a coach that finishes 1st. Dont care who he is.

GP
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Ward would be a good pickup if the Texans could also get Brandon Jacobs in here. The guy was real good to have when Jacobs was beating up defenses and then you could throw in a fast guy like Ward to pick up big chunks of yards.

He had a real strong 2008 season however as the go to guy he has never performed. Tampa signed him for big money after the '08 season and he did nothing over there.

That all being said, signing him for depth would not be a bad thing. Who knows, maybe throwing him in here and there would produce good results like it did with the Giants.

See this very important. Nobody else here knows the Giants like you do. I don't know 'em. I don't follow 'em. YOU do.

And you can alwasy tell MORE by what a diehard fan says about the former player than what any other source says. When we were thrilled to get Philip Buchanan from the Raiders, thinking we were going to get a decent well-known "name" as our CB, the Raiders fans were ALL laughing at us. ALL. They knew what we didn't: P-Burnt was bad mojo, and he was going to be bad mojo wherever he went.

So when I read your comments in the NFL section, it made sense to me. He was the beneficiary of a bruiser (Jacobs) who was wearing down defense. Now I do know this: Jacobs got into a hissy fit because he believed that the Giants were asking him to hit piles, hit bodies, and he wanted to do more open-field stuff instead of just absorbing punishment. So this lends some credibility to what you're saying. To Jacobs, he was being used to wear down defenses (at the expense of his body) so that other dudes could come in and run circles around the defense.

If Foster produces, I think Ward might help us out. But if our run game falters, I don't think Ward has it in him to take the reps and do something with them. He almost has got to be the beneficiary of a superior RB who is ahead of him on carries and performance.

Torrain with the Redksins has looked good this preseason. I haven't watched much Redskins thus far, but what I end up watching I see him doing great things. Is he likely going to make the cut? I don't follow NFC East very well.

Rey
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think we'll sign Ward.

I think they are just bringing him him to look at him...Then they will look at someone else and when that player looks better they'll choose him over Ward.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't think we'll sign Ward.

I think they are just bringing him him to look at him...Then they will look at someone else and when that player looks better they'll choose him over Ward.

I won't be surprised if they end up having to sign 2 RBs.

I don't know if Ward will be one of them. It depends on who else gets cut.

Hookem Horns
09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
See this very important. Nobody else here knows the Giants like you do. I don't know 'em. I don't follow 'em. YOU do.

And you can alwasy tell MORE by what a diehard fan says about the former player than what any other source says. When we were thrilled to get Philip Buchanan from the Raiders, thinking we were going to get a decent well-known "name" as our CB, the Raiders fans were ALL laughing at us. ALL. They knew what we didn't: P-Burnt was bad mojo, and he was going to be bad mojo wherever he went.

So when I read your comments in the NFL section, it made sense to me. He was the beneficiary of a bruiser (Jacobs) who was wearing down defense. Now I do know this: Jacobs got into a hissy fit because he believed that the Giants were asking him to hit piles, hit bodies, and he wanted to do more open-field stuff instead of just absorbing punishment. So this lends some credibility to what you're saying. To Jacobs, he was being used to wear down defenses (at the expense of his body) so that other dudes could come in and run circles around the defense.

If Foster produces, I think Ward might help us out. But if our run game falters, I don't think Ward has it in him to take the reps and do something with them. He almost has got to be the beneficiary of a superior RB who is ahead of him on carries and performance.

Torrain with the Redksins has looked good this preseason. I haven't watched much Redskins thus far, but what I end up watching I see him doing great things. Is he likely going to make the cut? I don't follow NFC East very well.

I don't think I missed a Giants game during the 2008 season (the year that Ward did real well). IIRC they didn't confict with the Texans much that season. If they conflicted with the Texans I generally went to a bar where I could see both.

You are right about Jacobs and Ward's role. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Ward doing for the Texans what he did for the Giants in '08, however his role would have to be the same. Since we don't have a guy like Jacobs beating up defenses I don't know how effective he would be.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot however. Though if we have to rely on him as being the featured back in the case of injury to Foster I don't think he will be the answer.

b0ng
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
There's a good possibility of a bidding war for Ward. I don't think he brings as much to the table as his asking price if a lot of teams try to sign him.

We absolutely have to bring somebody else in because holy crap if Jeremiah Johnsons injury is bad enough to sideline him for a part of the season. . .

Dash
09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
If he is in shape then I would welcome this signing.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't think I missed a Giants game during the 2008 season (the year that Ward did real well). IIRC they didn't confict with the Texans much that season. If they conflicted with the Texans I generally went to a bar where I could see both.

You are right about Jacobs and Ward's role. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Ward doing for the Texans what he did for the Giants in '08, however his role would have to be the same. Since we don't have a guy like Jacobs beating up defenses I don't know how effective he would be.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot however. Though if we have to rely on him as being the featured back in the case of injury to Foster I don't think he will be the answer.

I can see how you can say that considering how much smaller Foster is than Jacobs but Foster pounds it pretty good. I'm basing this on one game but if you recall, we were able to run the ball late in the 4th against New England because Foster was pushing the pile early on in the game. NE's dline was tired and Foster did pretty good pounding it up the middle. Ward could still play clean up for Foster.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone else see that Ledell Betts has been cut by New Orleans?

PHAROAH
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Ward is a solid back in a rotation situation but I don't like him personally I say that we look else where.

Rey
09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Don't know if it has been posted anywher but we also brought in Fargas per Kubiak.

Brisco_County
09-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm glad to hear we brought in Fargas. I'd much rather have him than Ward. I followed both closely in 2008, and I think Fargas has some extra explosiveness that Ward doesn't have. I wouldn't be surprised if Kubiak takes Fargas. He's a good fit in our system.

J_R
09-03-2010, 05:18 PM
McClain_on_NFL (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL)

The Texans are signing free agent RB Derrick Ward. They worked him and Justin Fargas out today.

Ckw
09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
If it is on the cheap, which I am going to assume it is, this is a very good low risk, high reward signing.

Hookem Horns
09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Just heard that myself on the Kube show however Kubes is saying he is not 100% sure yet that he was signed.

Thorn
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
he predicts Booty makes the team when texans.com says he was cut.

Rey
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Looks like I whiffed on that one.

Didn't think they'd sign him due to concerns about his weight...Guess they liked what they saw..

ATXtexanfan
09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
dont mind at all. need a body

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Looks like I whiffed on that one.

Didn't think they'd sign him due to concerns about his weight...Guess they liked what they saw..

They couldn't get Lendale White, so...............

Thorn
09-03-2010, 05:24 PM
meh......I'll wait until I see it for real. There is so much **** coming from so many sites right now, some of which is just plain wrong.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM

But wasn't that on the presumption that he would be let go and then signed to the PS?

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:26 PM
They couldn't get Lendale White, so...............

wouldn't have done any good if they did, he is suspended first 4 games...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5230369

xreadx
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
id rather them wait and get laurence maroney if he gets cut from NE...

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM

They have to release him first, send them through the waiver wire and if nobody picks him up, he goes to the PS...

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:28 PM
id rather them wait and get laurence maroney if he gets cut from NE...

That is who I am waiting for as well....

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Was just being facetious.:handshake:

Carr Bombed
Just heard that myself on the Kube show however Kubes is saying he is not 100% sure yet that he was signed.

He kind of has to say that......I'm sure the team wants to submit a official release and not just break it over the radio.

rmartin65
I like the signing, so long as it is somewhere around vet. minimum. The Texans need another healthy back, and it not like he will be getting more than 5 carries a game (hopefully).

gary
09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
That is who I am waiting for as well....
He is like the Pats best RB so I don't know.

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Was just being facetious.:handshake:

my bad, didn't read into that....

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
He is like the Pats best RB so I don't know.

Reports have been the other 2, Morris and Green - Ellis, have been better this year and he might get cut..

Kevin Faulk
Sammy Morris
BenJarvus Green - Ellis

Errant Hothy
09-03-2010, 05:34 PM

That does not mater either, as he ruptured his achilles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/03/ruptured-achilles-for-lendale-white/

He's done for the year at least.

gary
09-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Reports have been the other 2, Morris and Green - Ellis, have been better this year and he might get cut..

Kevin Faulk
Sammy Morris
BenJarvus Green - Ellis
Fred Taylor?

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:36 PM
That does not mater either, as he ruptured his achilles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/03/ruptured-achilles-for-lendale-white/

He's done for the year at least.

Really? Didn't see that one. Ah well, guess an Achilles tendon doesn't hold up a tub of lard like it use to....

Grforces
Ruptured achillies?? Damn.. Could'nt imagine the pain.

Carr Bombed
Kubiak just confirmed it.

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Fred Taylor?

Taylor is there but may get cut, 34 years old...

False Start
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Lets see what he can do.

Rey
09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Hearing Kubes talk about the signing it makes sense...

Veteran back who's had success in the leauge, plays special teams, understands blitz pick-uo, can step in next weekend and contribute

BullNation4Life
09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I was kinda hoping that little back that played for Tampa last night would get cut. that kid looks like he would flourish in Kubiak's system...

J_R
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
1 yr deal

gary
09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Fred Taylor might be an option if he is released.

Rey
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Fred Taylor might be an option if he is released.

I don't think so...But I could be wrong again...

Fred Taylor probably won't be an asset on any special teams so I don't see them bringing him in...

gary
09-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't think so...But I could be wrong again...

Fred Taylor probably won't be an asset on any special teams so I don't see them bringing him in...
Depends on the the price and his play.

The1ApplePie
09-03-2010, 05:53 PM
So he's being signed to the 3rd string.

Can he return kicks?

Hookem Horns
09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Here is the first official place I have seen this confirmed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a3e7cf/article/texans-sign-former-bucs-rb-ward-to-bolster-backfield?module=HP_headlines

JB
09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I was kinda hoping that little back that played for Tampa last night would get cut. that kid looks like he would flourish in Kubiak's system...

That little back is why Tampa could cut Ward...

IDEXAN
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Depends on the the price
Hey Gary, how come you're such a tight-azz when it comes to McNairs money ?

gary
09-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey Gary, how come you're such a tight-azz when it comes to McNairs money ?
Huh?

TimeKiller
09-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Meh.

Speedy
09-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I could have sworn I read somewhere recently that Ward had lost a step or 3 and didn't look good at all in Tampa.

nero THE zero
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
That little back is why Tampa could cut Ward...

Yep. Huggins is looking good for them.

dalemurphy
09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I could have sworn I read somewhere recently that Ward had lost a step or 3 and didn't look good at all in Tampa.

That's not uncommon for veterans that find themselves on a horrid 3 win football team... Also, it's not uncommon for those players to regain some "pop" when they leave a disaster for a contender. ..... Welcome to the future, Texan Fans!

kastofsna
09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
he's a terrible player who felt incredibly entitled once he was handed a big contract. never looked even remotely good in a Bucs uniform.

GP
09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
I have a feeling that the Texans sold Ward (and his agent) on a 1-year deal because of being able to point to Arian Foster.

Hypothetical scenario:

Rick Smith: So, you wanna' be a Texan?

Ward or agent: Depends.

(Pause)

Rick Smith: Well, let me ask you something. You think you're good?

Ward: Hell yes I do. That's a dumb question.

Rick Smith: Hmmmm...well, nobody thought Arian Foster was good. But we did. And we signed him when nobody else even drafted the guy. Now look at him. But actually, let's look at the whole picture here. Schaub, AJ, probably the scariest tight end squad in football right now, a good solid defense.

Ward: I'm listenin'....

Smith: OK, so what I am saying is this: You had a run of bad luck in Tampa. Lots of people have bad runs of luck in Tampa. No big deal to us. And we think you fit our team.

Ward: OK, keep talkin'.....

Kubiak: What Rick is trying to say is this: "If anything happens to Arian, we're gonna' be knee deep in bird **** around here. Without wader boots. So if you think you can handle potentially being a larger part of this offense, in case something happens to Arian, then you'll have to get your ass in there and show us why we chose you over Fargas and others.

Smith: That's why we're giving you a one-year deal. If it cool, then it cool. And we'll all be wearing gold-plated diapers like Bruce Dickenson.

Ward: Yeah, I hear you. I can dig it.

Kubiak: Damn-straight you dig it.

Smith: Damn-straight.

And then they hug it out. Fist bumps, Kubiak pulls on his shades like Caruso in CSI-Miami, and fade to black.

Honestly, though...he better not turtle up and act like a wounded puppy if he gets a shot and we need him to perform. I hope he realizes that he was gifted a pretty good opportunity due to Slaton and Jeremiah Johnson battling some separate issues. You just went from the outhouse to potentially the penthouse. Like THAT.

He better recognize.

TexansSeminole
09-04-2010, 12:08 AM
He didn't really get much of a chance last year. He was supposed to get alot more carries but once Cadillac got healthy and acclimated his carries went basically to 0. The Bucs were pretty terrible last year all around so I don't know how much I would put last year on Derrick Ward. He was a beast in New York, but the question is does he fit the one cut system?

I think he fits. Ward is the type of back that creates his own hole if he has to and you need that in this system when you make your cuts. Regarding Fargas, he might be a better back at this point but maybe he doesn't fit our system like Ward does.

C Madd
09-04-2010, 01:25 AM
GP,

Redo the whole scene, but this time with a little more cowbell.

Brisco_County
09-04-2010, 01:52 AM
He didn't really get much of a chance last year. He was supposed to get alot more carries but once Cadillac got healthy and acclimated his carries went basically to 0. The Bucs were pretty terrible last year all around so I don't know how much I would put last year on Derrick Ward. He was a beast in New York, but the question is does he fit the one cut system?

I think he fits. Ward is the type of back that creates his own hole if he has to and you need that in this system when you make your cuts. Regarding Fargas, he might be a better back at this point but maybe he doesn't fit our system like Ward does.

Oakland runners do one cut. If Fargas doesn't make it on our team, it's probably because of his knee.

Ward did excellent in New York. We're putting him in a system where the running game is a little more dependent on the O-line than other systems. If he could do well in New York, he can do well here.

Thorn
09-04-2010, 03:14 AM
As long as he doesn't fumble, I'm good with it. The first time he fumbles I'll curse him like I do anyone who fumbles. God knows we need some back up at RB right now.

mariowillshine15
09-04-2010, 03:17 AM
As long as he doesn't fumble, I'm good with it. The first time he fumbles I'll curse him like I do anyone who fumbles. God knows we need some back up at RB right now.

That's become the initiation process for running back on this team.

Put it on the ground welcome to town!

Lucky
09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Clearly, the Texans needed a vet RB in the mix. Just wished Kubiak & Smith had realized this in the offseason, when Tomlinson & Thomas Jones were available.

JB
09-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Clearly, the Texans needed a vet RB in the mix. Just wished Kubiak & Smith had realized this in the offseason, when Tomlinson & Thomas Jones were available.

I don't think they foresaw losing 3 running backs to injury before the season started...

TexanBorn51
09-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I haven't checked or confirm this stat but for what it's worth I believe Ward has never fumbled in his NFL career. Anyone out there want to check. If so does a good RB with fumbilitis any better. Fumbles do hurt.

Lucky
09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I haven't checked or confirm this stat but for what it's worth I believe Ward has never fumbled in his NFL career. Anyone out there want to check.
Six fumbles (http://www.nfl.com/players/derrickward/careerstats?id=WAR147534) in 65 games. Or once every 11 games. So, Ward is good for a fumble this year. But, he won't kill you with them.

Lucky
09-04-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't think they foresaw losing 3 running backs to injury before the season started...
The Texans needed a vet RB, regardless. Slaton isn't lost (yet). And they would have been fools to count on J. Johnson.

Look, the Texans got a RB in Ward who has been decent in the past. He could be as good as the guys I mentioned, if he has his head on straight. I just think their negative experiences with Ahman Green & Chris Brown soured them on older, vet backs. There's nothing wrong with an older vet back. As a reserve.

JB
09-04-2010, 08:49 AM
The Texans needed a vet RB, regardless. Slaton isn't lost (yet). And they would have been fools to count on J. Johnson.

Look, the Texans got a RB in Ward who has been decent in the past. He could be as good as the guys I mentioned, if he has his head on straight. I just think their negative experiences with Ahman Green & Chris Brown soured them on older, vet backs. There's nothing wrong with an older vet back. As a reserve.

I agree with you, but I don't think the FO did.

TexanBorn51
09-04-2010, 08:58 AM
thanks for the stat Lucky my bad. A good offensive line, a passing attack, and good fullback will make any RB look much better. We have two of those three. My hunch will be that the Giants line was very good and Ward flourished and that was just two years ago. The Tampa line probably not as good and look at their record last year as a whole team. Look at what the Texans did last year without Foster earlier and Slaton and still could have added 4 more wins by a play or two. I'm counting and hoping that the RB's to be successful in combo with the entire teams' performance.

Trail.Blazr
09-04-2010, 09:05 AM

He had 1 start in Tampa, of all places. Last time he was on a good team, with a cast around that lends to less coverage of him alone, he was moving at 5.8 per carry.

Quality signing considering current options. As I watch the activity surrounding TJ Who'sYourMama and his 4 trade offers, I'm glad we have secured another option. As a complimentary back, I think he's going to fit. Let's just hope he can "cut n go".

GP
09-04-2010, 09:48 AM
GP,

Redo the whole scene, but this time with a little more cowbell.

You know what? Bruce is right. And the last time I checked, we don't have a helluva' lot of songs that feature the cow bell.

dtran04
09-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't forget about Tate. I don't think the Texans would have kept 4 RBs on the active roster. Foster, Tate, and Slaton would have been really nice.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
He had 1 start in Tampa, of all places. Last time he was on a good team, with a cast around that lends to less coverage of him alone, he was moving at 5.8 per carry.

Quality signing considering current options. As I watch the activity surrounding TJ Who'sYourMama and his 4 trade offers, I'm glad we have secured another option. As a complimentary back, I think he's going to fit. Let's just hope he can "cut n go".

Ward, for many reasons, didn't seem to really have a decent chance to show his wares with his Bucs stint. And this is what got him in the BUCs final dog house. Ward apologizes to Bucs coach Morris for Miami performance and guarantees a 'great game' vs. Kansas City (http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/ward-apologizes-bucs-coach-morris-miami-performance-and-guarantees-great-game-vs-kansas-city) He wasn't exaggerating about where he (as opposed to Huggins) ended up playing a good part of his carries.........in the infield mud pit.

However, in game 3, he was the top RB with only 4 carries for 19 yds, while his now replacement Huggins had 3 carries for -2. (Against us last Thursday, Huggins carried 6 times for 37 yds. But, one carry was for 25 of those yds (which should never have happened). His other 5 yielded 12 yds).

Looks like there is a good chance that the Bucs made a poor choice and the Texans a good one.

gary
09-04-2010, 10:29 AM
So, what is a tight azz? LOL

b0ng
09-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I have a feeling that the Texans sold Ward (and his agent) on a 1-year deal because of being able to point to Arian Foster.

Hypothetical scenario:

Rick Smith: So, you wanna' be a Texan?

Ward or agent: Depends.

(Pause)

Rick Smith: Well, let me ask you something. You think you're good?

Ward: Hell yes I do. That's a dumb question.

Rick Smith: Hmmmm...well, nobody thought Arian Foster was good. But we did. And we signed him when nobody else even drafted the guy. Now look at him. But actually, let's look at the whole picture here. Schaub, AJ, probably the scariest tight end squad in football right now, a good solid defense.

Ward: I'm listenin'....

Smith: OK, so what I am saying is this: You had a run of bad luck in Tampa. Lots of people have bad runs of luck in Tampa. No big deal to us. And we think you fit our team.

Ward: OK, keep talkin'.....

Kubiak: What Rick is trying to say is this: "If anything happens to Arian, we're gonna' be knee deep in bird **** around here. Without wader boots. So if you think you can handle potentially being a larger part of this offense, in case something happens to Arian, then you'll have to get your ass in there and show us why we chose you over Fargas and others.

Smith: That's why we're giving you a one-year deal. If it cool, then it cool. And we'll all be wearing gold-plated diapers like Bruce Dickenson.

Ward: Yeah, I hear you. I can dig it.

Kubiak: Damn-straight you dig it.

Smith: Damn-straight.

And then they hug it out. Fist bumps, Kubiak pulls on his shades like Caruso in CSI-Miami, and fade to black.

Honestly, though...he better not turtle up and act like a wounded puppy if he gets a shot and we need him to perform. I hope he realizes that he was gifted a pretty good opportunity due to Slaton and Jeremiah Johnson battling some separate issues. You just went from the outhouse to potentially the penthouse. Like THAT.

He better recognize.

Love the scene, and would love to hear the KSK version of Rex Ryan talkin with Ward.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Bunk! You don't think that if Tate and Johnson had stayed healthy a RB corps of Foster, Tate, Slaton and Johnson wouldn't have been a workable group?

FirstTexansFan
09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
So, what is a tight azz? LOL

Gary I'd explain this one, but I'm afraid your mom and aunt might put a foot off in my buttocks :)

Lets just quote Brakos on this one

"A tight azz is better than Vista" :)

The1ApplePie
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
If he sucks, he sucks.

He's here to be the no. 3 back as it is

Lucky
09-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Bunk! You don't think that if Tate and Johnson had stayed healthy a RB corps of Foster, Tate, Slaton and Johnson wouldn't have been a workable group?
The free agency period was prior to the draft. If the Texans had no idea that Tate would be injured, they also had no idea that Tate would be on the team. They should have gotten a vet free agent during the free agency period. Debunked!

Jeremiah Johnson's becoming a folk hero on these boards. Here's a guy who's never had a NFL carry, has been injured in each of the past 3 seasons, and he's become a living legend. Better than Steve Slaton. Part of a workable group. Please.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2010, 01:08 PM
The free agency period was prior to the draft. If the Texans had no idea that Tate would be injured, they also had no idea that Tate would be on the team. They should have gotten a vet free agent during the free agency period. Debunked!

Jeremiah Johnson's becoming a folk hero on these boards. Here's a guy who's never had a NFL carry, has been injured in each of the past 3 seasons, and he's become a living legend. Better than Steve Slaton. Part of a workable group. Please.

They had no idea Tate would be on the team, but they knew who was available in the draft at RB, and they knew where their picks fell, so to say they didn't know they would have a 2nd round RB or higher on the roster is very possibly just wrong. To say they made their FA decisions regarding RB with no regard to the upcoming draft is definitely wrong. Dubunkation debunked.

Agreed about Johnson possibly gaining folk hero status, and I'm the one who pointed out how ridiculous it was that we should worry that someone will claim him off waivers. However, being the #4 name (of 4) on that list tells me he wasn't exactly going to be the linchpin to it's success anyway.

Brisco_County
09-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Jeremiah Johnson has the potential to be a folk hero. He watches this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DH0EamfEc) when he wakes up every morning.

I was getting eager to see him play this season, but it looks like we'll have to wait another year.

BullNation4Life
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
You know what? Bruce is right. And the last time I checked, we don't have a helluva' lot of songs that feature the cow bell.

http://bythelbs.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/morecowbell3.jpg

Hervoyel
09-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Jeremiah Johnson is gonna make you eat those words my friend.

I was deeply saddened to see him injured against the Buccaneers. I'm absolutely a believer here.

I think his living legend status begins with his playing 2008 at Oregon with a separated shoulder. If we're going to knock him for being injured in each of the past 3 seasons we should at least add that with a bum shoulder he still ran for 1201 yards, a 7.1 yard average, and 13 TD's. Then he came to camp thinking he was going to earn a spot on this team while popping his shoulder back in place ever time it came out.

I hope the Texans end up getting him back even if it's on the practice squad. In preseason this year he was at 5.9 ypc or better in all but the New Orleans game (where just about everybody sucked).

Hookem Horns
09-06-2010, 12:34 AM

Ward: Just as long as we are not wearing diapers like Rob Halford I think we cool.

Kubiak: Just don't screw up.

GP
09-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Ward: Just as long as we are not wearing diapers like Rob Halford I think we cool.

Kubiak: Just don't screw up.

You need to add that Kubiak is doubled over, grimacing, and running his hands over his face in anguish. Like he just ate really bad Indian food. Like he's about to have explosive diarrhea. Basically, how he looks when Kris Brown is attempting a game-winning field goal.

I just sat through the Tubby Tuberville game vs. SMU today, which left me thinking Tech will win about 3 games this season. Now I read how much we're after Leinart. My team, the West Texas A&M University Buffaloes (Division 2) almost beat the No. 2 team (Grand Valley State University) but crapped the game away at the last minute and lost 34-31 on national television. I threw my Buffs baseball cap at my flat-screen TV and scratched the screen a little bit. It's been a rough weekend for me.

This Leinart possibility just pushed me over the edge. This has got to be an early April Fools joke. Got to be.

beerlover
09-06-2010, 01:02 AM
You need to add that Kubiak is doubled over, grimacing, and running his hands over his face in anguish. Like he just ate really bad Indian food. Like he's about to have explosive diarrhea. Basically, how he looks when Kris Brown is attempting a game-winning field goal.

I just sat through the Tubby Tuberville game vs. SMU today, which left me thinking Tech will win about 3 games this season. Now I read how much we're after Leinart. My team, the West Texas A&M University Buffaloes (Division 2) almost beat the No. 2 team (Grand Valley State University) but crapped the game away at the last minute and lost 34-31 on national television. I threw my Buffs baseball cap at my flat-screen TV and scratched the screen a little bit. It's been a rough weekend for me.

This Leinart possibility just pushed me over the edge. This has got to be an early April Fools joke. Got to be.

man that is tough. I'm returning to my brewing roots, more control & even when it falls short of expectations the beer is still beer & pretty easy to go on with life. football can be exasperating :cutthroat:

Hookem Horns
09-06-2010, 01:10 AM

LOL, it's not like they are trading Schaub to get the guy. Basically I don't see what the big deal is unless one is a JD Booty fan.

GP
09-06-2010, 01:15 AM
LOL, it's not like they are trading Schaub to get the guy. Basically I don't see what the big deal is unless one is a JD Booty fan.

Oh, I loathe the Trojans 100%. Maybe that's part of my deal.

You can count me as being someone who has thought that Leinart was every part of an insignificant factor in the Trojans success as can be. He was surrounded by superior talent. Period.

I know it wouldn't be the end of the world. But the end MIGHT be near if somehow he was gifted the "backup" role after a few weeks of being a workout warrior (we've seen that scene before) and then Schaub goes down to a concussion or knee injury or shoulder injury, and we see 3 or 4 weeks of Leinart.

:coldshivers:

GP
09-06-2010, 01:18 AM
man that is tough. I'm returning to my brewing roots, more control & even when it falls short of expectations the beer is still beer & pretty easy to go on with life. football can be exasperating :cutthroat:

I am fluctuating back and forth between being OK and being grumpy.

It will wear off by next Sunday. LOL. Hopefully. Then the Colts could just put a dagger through my heart, to top it all off. My team, the Division 2 WTAMU Buffaloes, is going to be phenomenal this year. There's no team in our conference that can stop us. So I'll have that to lean on.

Hookem Horns
09-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Oh, I loathe the Trojans 100%. Maybe that's part of my deal.

Isn't this one Trojan for another? I assumed Booty would be back if the Leinart deal doesn't happen.

Lucky
09-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Jeremiah Johnson is gonna make you eat those words my friend.
That would be great, if that happens. But, it's not going to happen this season. And this season is what I'm discussing.

It's not me bashing Smithiak for counting on an oft-injured undrafted free agent coming off IR. I don't believe they were counting on J. Johnson. It's the fans suggesting that Johnson was in the equation when Smithiak were making their offseason plans whom I'm in dispute with. Here is the Smithiak 2010 plan, subsection RB (prior to FA period and draft):

Arian Foster - 2nd year back who showed late season progress. Has all of the tools, but has injury concerns from his college days.

Steve Slaton - 3rd year back who flashed tremendous breakaway ability as a rookie, but slumped horribly as a sophomore. Has very real injury concerns.

Rookie - Target a RB in the initial 2 rounds.

To me, that's a good plan. If they had added a vet RB. Their phobia for backs over 30 got the best of them. No one is suggesting that the Texans should have brought in a LT or Thomas Jones to be the man. Just someone to lean on in troubled times (or goal line situations).

If anyone is going to make me eat my words, it's Derrick Ward. Ward was a solid RB when he was in a solid organization (Giants). He was shaky while in a shaky organization (Bucs). Now, he's back in what I consider to be a solid organization. Ward could be the answer. And the Texans have had great luck in picking up post-preseason waiver wire players in the past. Will Demps. Bernard Pollard. I may be missing someone else? My feeling is that the Texans should have foreseen this need earlier in the offseason. That's all.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2010, 11:11 AM
That would be great, if that happens. But, it's not going to happen this season. And this season is what I'm discussing.

It's not me bashing Smithiak for counting on an oft-injured undrafted free agent coming off IR. I don't believe they were counting on J. Johnson. It's the fans suggesting that Johnson was in the equation when Smithiak were making their offseason plans whom I'm in dispute with. Here is the Smithiak 2010 plan, subsection RB (prior to FA period and draft):

Arian Foster - 2nd year back who showed late season progress. Has all of the tools, but has injury concerns from his college days.

Steve Slaton - 3rd year back who flashed tremendous breakaway ability as a rookie, but slumped horribly as a sophomore. Has very real injury concerns.

Rookie - Target a RB in the initial 2 rounds.

To me, that's a good plan. If they had added a vet RB. Their phobia for backs over 30 got the best of them. No one is suggesting that the Texans should have brought in a LT or Thomas Jones to be the man. Just someone to lean on in troubled times (or goal line situations).

If anyone is going to make me eat my words, it's Derrick Ward. Ward was a solid RB when he was in a solid organization (Giants). He was shaky while in a shaky organization (Bucs). Now, he's back in what I consider to be a solid organization. Ward could be the answer. And the Texans have had great luck in picking up post-preseason waiver wire players in the past. Will Demps. Bernard Pollard. I may be missing someone else? My feeling is that the Texans should have foreseen this need earlier in the offseason. That's all.

For me, the plan I was suggesting they follow was:

Arian Foster, Steve Slaton, a 1st or 2nd round RB pick, and a 5th or 6th round RB pick

I wanted them to also bring in a Veteran FA and have these guys fight it out among themselves. I did not expect anything from Chris Henry or Jeremiah Johnson. I've now come around on Jeremiah Johnson. I think he's going to be able to contribute if he's able to stay healthy.

I think the Texans shied away from a veteran FA because their previous RB FAs hadn't really been all that great: Chris Brown, Ahman Green, Ryan Moats... But I think that the Texans thought they had something with Chris Henry. They had only seen him in practice and he looked good. He was working hard and doing all the right things and I think that HE was the reason they didn't go out and get a vet in the offseason.

Ward could be the answer and maybe the Texans were expecting to have to make this move. But I think they thought their running back stable with Foster, Slaton, HENRY, and Johnson or possibly some other scrub (not that I think Jeremiah is a scrub) was going to be just fine as it was.

Thorn
09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Derrick Ward had one medium year and one good year with the Giants. He missed two seasons and didn't play much in another. Then he had a medium to poor year in Tampa.

So, he's had one good year our of six. Whatever. Maybe he'll do well as the 3rd stringer on the team, but I'm not getting excited about him.

El Tejano
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Has Ward had anything to say about signing with us?

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Has Ward had anything to say about signing with us?

:cricket:

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Ex-nay on the Ickets-Cray...
:)

Hot-Tub Boy speaks (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7188402.html)

Im excited for this opportunity, Leinart said after arriving in Houston on Monday night. Im looking for a new start. Obviously, things didnt go the way I wanted (at Arizona), but its time to move on. The Texans are a great organization, and Im really looking forward to working with coach Kubiak.

okay, now that he's a Texan, that's the last hot tub reference from me.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Ex-nay on the Ickets-Cray...
:)

Hot-Tub Boy speaks (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7188402.html)

okay, now that he's a Texan, that's the last hot tub reference from me.

Dude. Ya got Leinart on the brain. :)

Leinart <> Derrick Ward.

The question was whether Derrick Ward had said anything since signing... not Leinart.

ObsiWan
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Dude. Ya got Leinart on the brain. :)

Leinart <> Derrick Ward.

The question was whether Derrick Ward had said anything since signing... not Leinart.

Doh!!
:homer:

beerlover
09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I would like to hear something too but I would prefer to wait until after the game Sunday against the Colts when he help's his teamates seal a victory by running out the clock & not turning over the ball :kitten:

Blake
09-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Just realized we signed Derrick Ward. I was at the lake last weekend and when I came back all anyone was talking about was Matt Leinart.

I liked Ward alot when he was a FA, and getting him on the cheap is twice as nice.

I know he is new, but can we get this guy some carries on Sunday?

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2010, 05:27 PM

From Rotoworld:

Derrick Ward is still not completely up to speed in the Texans' playbook but may be ready in case of emergency Sunday.

As long as Arian Foster and Steve Slaton stay healthy, Ward will spend the entire game on the sidelines. That's likely to be the case for Ward most Sundays, even when he fully grasps the playbook. Sep. 9 - 9:19 am et

Source: HoustonTexans.com
That quote doesn't exactly thrill me.

False Start
09-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I think he must not be doing too much to impress. I haven't seen anything in the Chronic, on Texans.com, or Texans TV about him. Its like he doesn't even play for the Texans. :um:

J_R
09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I was looking around the meeting room, and Im the oldest guy in the room, Ward said after his first day with the team. I could bring the veteran leadership to them. I could bring experience. I know (Arian) only played (a few) games here last year. So this is really his first year playing, and hes starting. My job is to provide them with anything they need, wisdom-wise, and theyre going to help me with the plays.

Ward wants fans to know that he came to Houston because he wants to win a Super Bowl, and he thinks the Texans is a team that can make that happen for him again. Super Bowl is on my mind, Ward said. Nothing more, nothing less. Its not making the playoffs. Its not winning the division. Its winning the Super Bowl and bringing Houston a championship.

I see a lot of great players and a lot of great effort. The defense is outstanding, and the offense is outstanding, too. Its going to be fun for me to come to a team thats hungry, that wants to taste the playoffs and wants to taste the Super Bowl wins.

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/09/09/10/Newest-Texans-RB-thinking-big/landing.html?blockID=307501&feedID=3714

thunderkyss
09-11-2010, 08:50 AM
My feeling is that the Texans should have foreseen this need earlier in the offseason. That's all.
I'll agree, getting Thomas Jones would have been a good move. But how much did KC give him, and would you have been willing to match.

Looks like 2 years, $5 Million.

I'd have done it.

False Start
09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I think he must not be doing too much to impress. I haven't seen anything in the Chronic, on Texans.com, or Texans TV about him. Its like he doesn't even play for the Texans. :um:

I guess I spoke too soon. D Ward finally made an appearance (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Newest-Texans-like-their-new-team/5730d8e8-d322-4e0c-9c77-02582450911f), as did Nixon, and Wall.

Big Lou
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Although I'm still enjoying the Zen of kicking Peytons ass, does anyboady know if we have a #4 RB. Ward isn't even listed on the Mother Ship......

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Although I'm still enjoying the Zen of kicking Peytons ass, does anyboady know if we have a #4 RB. Ward isn't even listed on the Mother Ship......

From everything I've seen, we're going with 3.

CloakNNNdagger
09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
From everything I've seen, we're going with 3.

Kubiak yesterday stated that he wanted to put Ward in there next week for some carries.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I believe I saw him on special teams Sunday. There was a number 30 that I didn't recognize, so I just assumed it was Ward.

JB
09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I believe I saw him on special teams Sunday. There was a number 30 that I didn't recognize, so I just assumed it was Ward.

#30 is Wall...Ward is #32

HOU-TEX
09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
#30 is Wall...Ward is #32

Ah, gotcha. Knew there was a reason I didn't recognize him. Normally I know them all by the time the season begins

gary
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
If Ward runs anything like he ran two seasons ago behind that O line the running game should be fine. And JJ should be on the field once he is healthy.

BigBull17
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Kubiak yesterday stated that he wanted to put Ward in there next week for some carries.

Yeah, Arian cant run the ball 30+ times a game. He needs to be around 25 max. Although, 5-8 carries might as well been against air, so we'll see.

drs23
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah, Arian cant run the ball 30+ times a game. He needs to be around 25 max. Although, 5-8 carries might as well been against air, so we'll see.

Yes, he got whiffed a few times but he had a lot of contact as well. I sure dug seeing his war torn jersey after the game!

hradhak
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I would think limiting Foster to around 20 is better. It's a long season and we are thin at the RB position and Slaton can get some more reps and take over on 3rd downs.

Although this game is going to be a good test for Slaton's ability to hang onto the ball, the Skins like to strip the ball.

rmartin65
09-14-2010, 07:04 PM
The Jets just cut Danny Woodhead. He has been a pro for a couple years, hard nosed player with serious athletic ability. He is just undersized. I think he would be a good RB for the team.

False Start
09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
The Jets just cut Danny Woodhead. He has been a pro for a couple years, hard nosed player with serious athletic ability. He is just undersized. I think he would be a good RB for the team.

From what I saw on Hard Knocks, I would love to have that guy on our team.