PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a battle for #2?

dream_team
09-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Is there really a battle going on between Jacoby & Walters? I read Texans Talk, I listen to all the Texans podcasts, I watch all the games, etc... and not once have I heard of a battle for the #2 WR. As far as I know, Walters has that spot secured.

But for some reason, all of the fantasy publications I read, fantasy experts I listen too, fantasy message boards I read, supposedly there's this battle for the second WR spot and Jacoby is in the lead??? Up until today, on the fantasy sports radio station on XM, someone mentioned Jacoby should win that spot.

Am I missing something here?

Norg
09-03-2010, 12:40 AM
KW got resigned there is no Battle KW is our #2 intill he starts to sucks or drop passes thats a IF if that happens then JJ is our #2 simple has that

ChampionTexan
09-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Is there really a battle going on between Jacoby & Walters? I read Texans Talk, I listen to all the Texans podcasts, I watch all the games, etc... and not once have I heard of a battle for the #2 WR. As far as I know, Walters has that spot secured.

But for some reason, all of the fantasy publications I read, fantasy experts I listen too, fantasy message boards I read, supposedly there's this battle for the second WR spot and Jacoby is in the lead??? Up until today, on the fantasy sports radio station on XM, someone mentioned Jacoby should win that spot.

Well, regardless of how the Texans officially list the WR's on the depth chart, a good case can be made that Jacoby is the better fantasy option for 2010. Heck, if your in a heavily TD weighted league, he was better than KW last year.

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Jacoby is a starter. When he takes the field depends solely on the
personnel package the play requires. In the 3-wide package, expect
to see Dre, Walter, AND Jacoby out there. In your 2-tightend set,
expect to see Dre, Walter and OD/Casey/Graham/Dreesen.

HJam72
09-03-2010, 01:52 AM
You watch JJ and you think, "Yeah, he's plenty good enough to take the #2 spot (most of the time)." You watch KW and then think, "He IS the #2 and nobody's takin' it."

RipTraxx
09-03-2010, 05:33 AM
You watch JJ and you think, "Yeah, he's plenty good enough to take the #2 spot (most of the time)." You watch KW and then think, "He IS the #2 and nobody's takin' it."

Well said......

Hervoyel
09-03-2010, 05:45 AM
I think we're just very, very loaded at WR and I like it. What I dig the most is that I see no real indication from Jacoby Jones that he's displeased with the fact that he's not been proclaimed "The best thing since sliced bread" and our #2 receiver. In the past I would have kind of expected "immature Jacoby" to eventually play as well as we've seen him this preseason and then to start worrying about "respect" or some bull**** like that. It's good to see that the new and improved "mature Jacoby" seems to be content with being part of 2A/2B opposite Andre Johnson.

Actually I think that AJ's low-key way of handling his contract situation and his overall professionalism is partially responsible for this. He's a hell of an example to have there for young players. Here's the best WR in football and he's as firmly attached to the ground as you can get. I want to see what kind of player Dorin Dickerson ends up being in a couple of years in this environment. At some point someone is going to offer JJ some money if he has a big year or two for us. When that happens I expect him to take the opportunity to go out and make some big bank (we can't keep them all). We'll have someone else ready to step in though.

Thorn
09-03-2010, 05:55 AM
This is beginning to look like last year after the last pre-season game. We are loaded at WR ant TE, and very shallow at RB.

El Tejano
09-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I think we're just very, very loaded at WR and I like it. What I dig the most is that I see no real indication from Jacoby Jones that he's displeased with the fact that he's not been proclaimed "The best thing since sliced bread" and our #2 receiver. In the past I would have kind of expected "immature Jacoby" to eventually play as well as we've seen him this preseason and then to start worrying about "respect" or some bull**** like that. It's good to see that the new and improved "mature Jacoby" seems to be content with being part of 2A/2B opposite Andre Johnson.

Actually I think that AJ's low-key way of handling his contract situation and his overall professionalism is partially responsible for this. He's a hell of an example to have there for young players. Here's the best WR in football and he's as firmly attached to the ground as you can get. I want to see what kind of player Dorin Dickerson ends up being in a couple of years in this environment. At some point someone is going to offer JJ some money if he has a big year or two for us. When that happens I expect him to take the opportunity to go out and make some big bank (we can't keep them all). We'll have someone else ready to step in though.

When your QB is Matt Schaub who can complete passes to several different WRs in a game, it doesn't matter if you are #2 or #3 - you're gonna get opportunities.

Also I agree with your statement about Andre being an example. In a way I believe he's set the president on how to handle this situation.

badboy
09-03-2010, 08:06 AM
When your QB is Matt Schaub who can complete passes to several different WRs in a game, it doesn't matter if you are #2 or #3 - you're gonna get opportunities.

Also I agree with your statement about Andre being an example. In a way I believe he's set the president on how to handle this situation.I throw it and they catch it. Who cares if it is 1, 2 or 3? signed Matt Schaub.

TEXANS84
09-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I would think KDub still has the advantage over Jacoby solely because of his run blocking skills.

But Jacoby also has the ability to make a big play happen every time he touches the ball. I'm loving our WR corps this year, even if Andre Davis gets the axe today.

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
This is Jacoby's last year under contract. The team tried to trade him
last year to Washington during the preseason. Washington refused, and
we got the best year Jacoby has ever had. This offseason, the Texans
have a hell of a choice to make.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Jacoby > Walter for fantasy purposes. In that sense he's the #2 WR you'd select.

I think Walter gets the "start" but I truly hate that term. All it means is who starts the game and it has ZERO bearing on the other 59 1/2 minutes. I suspect Jacoby will get similar # of passes his way, and will probably get more yards and TDs. Walter may be in more plays than Jacoby b/c he's a better blocker and helps our run game more. You'd be surprised the # of big rushing plays we've had that are a direct result of Dre or Walter's downfield blocking. On top of that Walter just always finds a way to get open, he is sneaky fast and has sure hands.

Jacoby is a playmaker and is going to see plenty of looks, definitely more looks than last year. We've got to find a way to continue getting him more inolved in the offense. Could be a huge year for him, and if it is I think that will be a large reason why he re-signs with us. He could be a "starter" somewhere... but he'll be getting "starter" snaps and receptions here. His stats won't be diminished here plus he's got a mentor in Dre. Gotta get him more looks this season though! just my .02

Rey
09-03-2010, 11:43 AM

If Jacoby has stepped his game up that much I'd hate to lose him. I'd rather us re-sign him to that nice contract and let Walter walk or resign him to a lesser contract after a few years. If Dorin can step up Dre, Jones, and Dickerson would be a pretty tough combo to handle.

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
If Jacoby has stepped his game up that much I'd hate to lose him. I'd rather us re-sign him to that nice contract and let Walter walk or resign him to a lesser contract after a few years. If Dorin can step up Dre, Jones, and Dickerson would be a pretty tough combo to handle.

I don't think the team could afford to lowball Jacoby, IF he performs as
we all expect. This regime, so far, has been consistent in resigning
their core contributors. Time for Jacoby to add his name to the ledger.

infantrycak
09-03-2010, 04:11 PM
This is Jacoby's last year under contract. The team tried to trade him
last year to Washington during the preseason. Washington refused, and
we got the best year Jacoby has ever had. This offseason, the Texans
have a hell of a choice to make.

Where does this assertion of an attempt to trade come from?

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Where does this assertion of an attempt to trade come from?

It was reported last year, after the preseason, on 610 by Mcclain.
If you remember, it was in the final preseason game, in which
Jacoby cemented a place on the team by the bomb he caught
from Grossman.

disaacks3
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Just ran across this....

On Jacoby Jones, Saban was wrong and Denzel was right

"The last year that he had gone to one of his camps he gets this award or certificate that talks about his skills and techniques, but Nick Saban told him, 'You have great ability and you have great skills as an athlete, but you're too small. You will never play professional football,'" Emily Jones told FOX 26. "That stayed with Jacoby and made it a goal for him to be successful."

Later, when Jones played at Lane College, his team faced Morehouse College. John David Washington, the son of Denzel Washington, played for Morehouse. And Denzel was there for the game.

"At the end of the game Denzel Washington called Jacoby over to him and said, 'Son I expect to see you on Sunday,'" Emily Jones said. "When Jacoby came back over to me I said, 'Jacoby what did he want'? He said, he expects to see me on Sunday. I said, 'What does that mean'?

"He said, 'To play professional football.' I said, 'Son, are you that good'? He said, 'I guess so mom. I don't know. I just love to play football.'"

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/20/on-jacoby-jones-saban-was-wrong-and-denzel-was-right/?related=1)

infantrycak
09-03-2010, 04:19 PM
It was reported last year, after the preseason, on 610 by Mcclain.
If you remember, it was in the final preseason game, in which
Jacoby cemented a place on the team by the bomb he caught
from Grossman.

If you say so.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
We just re-signed Walter this offseason to a 5 year deal. He's not going anywhere.

Jacoby could be a risk if some team offers him a crazy contract because they're desperate for a WR. I'm hoping we can offer him a fair contract that pays him and he looks at the time he's been here and the mentoring from Dre and having his momma so close to come to the games and the icing on the cake. I don't want to put anything out there that's false, but with he and his mom so close, I'd be willing to be playing for Houston or New Orleans would be HUGE factors in his decision.

If we can get JJ extended, we've got Dre, Jacoby, Walter, DA, Dickerson, Daniels, Casey... sheesh that's some talent!!

michaelm
09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
At some point someone is going to offer JJ some money if he has a big year or two for us. When that happens I expect him to take the opportunity to go out and make some big bank (we can't keep them all).

I agree. Reminds me of Alvin Harper.

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
If you say so.

I do. Thanks.

Rey
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
We just re-signed Walter this offseason to a 5 year deal. He's not going anywhere.

Didn't we just resign Kris Brown to a 4 yr deal last year?

The contract isn't guaranteed so I don't see what that has to do with anything...

Jacoby could be a risk if some team offers him a crazy contract because they're desperate for a WR.

Maybe I'm just slow right now, but could you explain this...

I'm hoping we can offer him a fair contract that pays him and he looks at the time he's been here and the mentoring from Dre and having his momma so close to come to the games and the icing on the cake. I don't want to put anything out there that's false, but with he and his mom so close, I'd be willing to be playing for Houston or New Orleans would be HUGE factors in his decision.

If we can get JJ extended, we've got Dre, Jacoby, Walter, DA, Dickerson, Daniels, Casey... sheesh that's some talent!!

Agreed.

But my only point about Walter is that he's getting older and there is a youth movement behind him. I really love what Walter brings to the team, but if we are going with the assumption that Jacoby is getting better to the point that some team will offer him a big contract, then I don't think it'd be wise to choose Walter over Jacoby when we could just start him here.

Walter will be thirty by this time next year and if we were to keep him through the duration of his '5 yr deal' he'd be what...34?

Not into letting young talent leave in favor of aging vets, unless the aging vet is a super star like Andre Johnson...And even at some point you have to go in favor of youth there too...It's the inevitable..

thunderkyss
09-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Moss & Carter

Ocho Cinco & Houshmandzadah

Harrison & Wayne

Fitzgerald & Boldin

If you've got the opportunity to put a duo on the field like that, you do it. You've gotta do it.

Johnson & Walter: Isnt' the same thing, isn't even close.

Johnson & Jones: This is closer. Jacoby has a lot to prove, but he's closer to that dual WR threat than Walter is.

You bring Walter in like a Keith Poole, or a Joe Jurivicious (even though Walter is better than them). In critical 3rd down situations, or in the Red Zone.

JB
09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Moss & Carter

Ocho Cinco & Houshmandzadah

Harrison & Wayne

Fitzgerald & Boldin

If you've got the opportunity to put a duo on the field like that, you do it. You've gotta do it.

Johnson & Walter: Isnt' the same thing, isn't even close.

Johnson & Jones: This is closer. Jacoby has a lot to prove, but he's closer to that dual WR threat than Walter is.

You bring Walter in like a Keith Poole, or a Joe Jurivicious (even though Walter is better than them). In critical 3rd down situations, or in the Red Zone.

I would agree with this, but at this point in time in Kubiak's offense, Walter is just too valuable as a blocker that will pick off the DE. Jones is not quite up to snuff there, but he is more explosive downfield. It makes more sense to bring in JJ to stretch the field. And he will see plenty of time, but Walter will continue to be the #2 until JJ can function as well in the running game.

thunderkyss
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I would agree with this, but at this point in time in Kubiak's offense, Walter is just too valuable as a blocker that will pick off the DE. Jones is not quite up to snuff there, but he is more explosive downfield. It makes more sense to bring in JJ to stretch the field. And he will see plenty of time, but Walter will continue to be the #2 until JJ can function as well in the running game.

I hear what you're saying, and do agree that Walter is used a lot to pin or cut the DE. But the TEs are used to serve that same purpose. If his blocking is his main draw... I'm chosing between him, a second TE, or FB, not a playmaker.

JB
09-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I here what you're saying, and do agree that Walter is used a lot to pin or cut the DE. But the TEs are used to serve that same purpose. If his blocking is his main draw... I'm chosing between him, a second TE, or FB, not a playmaker.

That's a good point also. I really think we will see lot's of different mixes and sets this year. With them keeping 5 TE, you can bet on a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.

Jacoby will get a lots of playing time. Maybe even more than Walter, but I think Walter will continue to be the #2 in a basic set.

drs23
09-03-2010, 07:55 PM
:goodpost:

Fine point JB. Couldn't have said it better.

thunderkyss
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
:goodpost:

Fine point JB. Couldn't have said it better.

I really think Walter's contribution (especially at the LOS) to the run game has been out of necessity. Something we shouldn't have to rely on as much, with better play from the OL & TEs.

drs23
09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I really think Walter's contribution (especially at the LOS) to the run game has been out of necessity. Something we shouldn't have to rely on as much, with better play from the OL & TEs.

I agree to a point. But you can't discount the fact that the 0-line hasen't really been upgraded, though they seem to be playing somewhat better. The thing that sticks out is the JJ playmake ability vs. DA's sure hands and blocking. I think there's room for both of 'em. And they'll both play a lot.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 08:59 PM
That's a good point also. I really think we will see lot's of different mixes and sets this year. With them keeping 5 TE, you can bet on a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.

Jacoby will get a lots of playing time. Maybe even more than Walter, but I think Walter will continue to be the #2 in a basic set.

But, they ended up waiving Fine. So we're back to the 4 we expected. We can still do a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.

TimeKiller
09-03-2010, 09:33 PM
If they call for 2 WR set I want Walter out there for his blocking. I think we'll just see a lot of 3 WR sets, I noticed Schaub was in shotgun quite often against the Cowboys.

I think there are enough passes to go around to keep everyone happy.