PDA

View Full Version : Would you cut Orlovsky?

Wolf6151
09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Orlavsky was brought in last year to be the backup QB behind Schaub and was overpaid for the position. Rex Grossman and J.D. Booty have both proven, as 3rd string QB's, that Orlavsky sucks and just doesn't seem to be learning or getting any better. God help us if Schaub gets hurt. I'm thinking we cut Orlavsky, and save a bunch of money, and then find another backup QB from the waiver list next week. We may or may not promote J.D. Booty to 2nd string but he could at least compete with whoever we get from the waiver list. Opinions?

eriadoc
09-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Yup. Give those practice reps to someone worth developing.

Pantherstang84
09-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah I'm on the Dan O = failed experiment bandwagon myself. I liked that 3rd stringer from AZ.

qman_tx
09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I was hyped too on the Dan-O project. Give Booty the the job.

Thorn
09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm thinking it would be a mistake to keep DanO over Booty. Neither can come in for Schaub at this point, but at least Booty made some things happen.

Cjeremy635
09-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I was hyped too on the Dan-O project. Give Booty the the job.

I was NEVER high on Dan-O.

Grforces
09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
cut Dan-O, bring back the rosencopter, booty 3rd string. Work that booty as much as they have with Dan-o and maybe trade sage again and see how booty does next year with all that attention dan-o was getting.

El Tejano
09-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't cut him, I'd stab him.

Disclaimer: This is only a joke. If Damn O shows up tomorrow with a knife in his body it was not me.

MojoMan
09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Absolutely not. Dan-O should be kept until someone can be found that that coaches are confident is better. And that is not Booty. Sage Rosenfels would be great, if the Texans can get him.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't cut him, I'd stab him.

Disclaimer: This is only a joke. If Damn O shows up tomorrow with a knife in his body it was not me.

Lying sack of ****.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Absolutely not. Dan-O should be kept until someone can be found that that coaches are confident is better. And that is not Booty. Sage Rosenfels would be great, if the Texans can get him.

I'm for Sage. In this system, I'd even be for giving Colt McCoy the "Kubiak Experience."

Grforces
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Is colt gonna be cut? I heard something about it on TV, but I dint belive it.

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I would seriously be thinking about dumping Orlovsky for Booty.

And if Sage came free, I'd have to give him a call (even though I'm not a Sage fan.)

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Is colt gonna be cut? I heard something about it on TV, but I dint belive it.

Those were the strong rumors. However, it seems much less likely after tonight's performance............he went 13 for 13.

Lucky
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
At this point, I would attempt to trade for Rosenfels. This season is that important.

If Schaub goes down for the season at any point, Rosenfels will not be the answer. In that case, there is no answer. But if Matt goes down for 2 or 3 games, Sage could hold down the fort. And that could be the difference between this teams first playoff appearance, or another January watching other teams play.

Make the call, Rick.

Grforces
09-02-2010, 11:23 PM
If colt got cut I would definatly pick him up. Cut your losses with Dan-O now and give someone else a chance to learn under kubes. Booty has a future I think as a 2nd string qb in this league, but even that will take a couple of years.

TexansFanatic
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Yes. Cut him. He sucks.

El Tejano
09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I would keep Booty and I'm not basing that on this game. I'm taking what Booty did in the Az game and this game. He gave us a chance to tie the game vs. Az and tie this game today. He knows where to go with the ball.

Joe Texan
09-02-2010, 11:46 PM
trade him

TexansFanatic
09-02-2010, 11:49 PM
If colt got cut I would definatly pick him up. Cut your losses with Dan-O now and give someone else a chance to learn under kubes. Booty has a future I think as a 2nd string qb in this league, but even that will take a couple of years.

Colt will not be cut. Those rumors were silly.

You don't take a quarterback in the third round, give him a lot of guaranteed money, and then cut him after his first preseason. It just doesn't happen.

Hervoyel
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM

This.

Cutting him would be a mistake at this juncture (insert Dana Carvey SNL George Bush impersonation here). We're in a bind because camp is over and anybody you bring in isn't going to be as familiar with what we're doing as Orlovsky & Booty. All things being equal I think we're kind of stuck unless somebody releases a guy Kubiak wants. This may or may not be a good thing because he also wanted Orlovsky. Then again he said he could win with Carr but found out after he spent a year with him that there were "other issues" that coaching couldn't seem to get around.

Orlovsky reminds me a lot of Carr actually though I can't seem to put my finger on what it is exactly. He just seems to have that same kind of tenuous grip on what he's doing that Carr had.

Anyway I would like to see what happens if we keep both Orlovsky and Booty. I think by mid-season Booty slips up to #2. Maybe not on the depth chart but if Schaub goes down then I bet Kubiak will do a "We're going to see how they look in practice and pick a starter at the end of the week" thing.

dream_team
09-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Cut him for no reason? Cut him and hope someone better becomes available in the next week? Absolutely not!

Cut him to make room for Sage and keep around Booty? Sure!

The only guy I'd cut him for right now is Sage. Just because he knows the offense already and it wouldn't take him long to get going.

Any other QB that is waived in the next week wouldn't be any better than Dan O because it would take them too long to learn the offense and get their timing down with the receivers.

Our best bet is somehow Sage becomes a Texan and is happy being #2. Otherwise, we have to stick with Dan O and hope Schaub doesn't get hurt.

Norg
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Umm no

what if

Booty vs he Ravens D

Booty on the road facing the Jets D

Booty on the road taking on Tenn

thats just does not seem like a win situation to me Dan O has started before yes a 0-16 team but yeah seriously tho if Matt goes down we will prob go 0-16 no matter who is back there

Norg
09-03-2010, 12:44 AM
i havent watched the TB game yet but yeah

i cant beleive people are calling for Sage againto be our number 2 at least he has won some games for us ... thats good enough for me that and he was kicking the colts ass for 3 straight Qts

beerlover
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
trade him

this lol:

I'd take a 6th, heck 7th :runaway:

Lucky
09-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Umm no

what if

Booty vs he Ravens D

Booty on the road facing the Jets D

Booty on the road taking on Tenn
What if....

Orlovsky vs the Bucs 2nd string D?

Not a "win" situation.

This is Olovsky's 6th season in the NFL. He's not getting any better, this is who he is. And he's not one of the top 53 players on this team. Regardless of whether the Texans can find a proven backup or not, Dan-O should go.

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Please stop the "We Want Sage" insanity!!

That era is OVER! Next you'll be clamoring to bring back
Petey Faggins. STOP IT!!

Now. Booty has proven he has a big, accurate arm. He's also proven
he's not a turnover machine like Orlovsky and your boy Sage. Kubiak
has learned, and the Texans won't be sprinkling "a lil' Sage" on NOTHIN'!

imatexan
09-03-2010, 01:59 AM
YES!!!

I have not wanted him from day one, he is not a good QB and not a winner!

I would rather have Booty or Grossman or a number of other QB's leading the Texans.

buddyboy
09-03-2010, 02:21 AM

Petey Faggins. STOP IT!!

I dunno, I'm still not convinced he was "accurate" tonight. I think he found open recievers, which is awesome, but so many times the throws were overthrown or thrown behind them.

Corrosion
09-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Would I cut Orlavsky ?!

Dude looked like HHWNBM against a bunch of guy's who likely wont make the roster cuts ....

You are damn right I'd cut him.

There has to be something on the waiver wire better than him.

Hervoyel
09-03-2010, 05:31 AM

Petey Faggins. STOP IT!!

I'm not sure you're clear on the definition of "accurate" Dex. All preseason Orlovsky has been pulling this same business.

11 out of 16 for 113 yards last night
3 out of 4 for 25 yards against Dallas
12 out of 19 for 140 yards against New Orleans
12 out of 21 for 129 yards against Arizona

That's 38 of 60 for 407 yards with 1 TD and a pair of picks

Seems like he's doing ok from the completion percentage but he's throwing the ball behind guys, throwing it short and at receivers feet. I've seen James Casey do everything humanly possible to save Orlovsky from looking like a complete scrub and it's worked mostly. I'm a Texan fan however and I know bad QB play when I see it (Thank you David Carr). Orlovsky isn't a viable option as the #2 guy. He's certainly not an accurate passer. His inconsistency is maddening because he does hit that dead-on strike every 4-8 passes. I think however that if Kubiak had been forced to play Orlovsky for any appreciable time last season we would have already parted ways with him.

The best part of Orlovsky's game at this moment is his knowledge of the playbook. That's kind of disappointing if you ask me after two training camps and a season as the 3. I don't expect the Texans to do anything at this stage (what can they do?) but I really hope somebody compelling gets released. I didn't see a single 3 this preseason playing for any of our opponents who I didn't think looked better than Dan'O

Brandon420tx
09-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Whatever happened to boyd? I really liked him

Malloy
09-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Only reason I see Orlovsky staying on instead of Booty is 'game day experience'. Playwise they've both been dodgy at best, some really nice throws and some really horrible ones.

Booty is young, but 'project' as the backup QB is not likely imo, I'm seeing Orlovsky getting the nod and Booty (if allegeable) to the PS.

I'm guessing that Smithiaks energy will go into finding acute help at RB.

Corrosion
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe NO will cut Chase Daniel ....

Just thinking about Orlovsky brought back some bad memories , some of an 0-16 Lions team and others of a guy we dont like to mention round these parts.

Orlavsky made Booty look all world in comparison .... and he wasnt all that himself.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Re: Would you cut Orlovsky?

Hmm...nah, but I'd pray to the good Lord above that Schaub can make it another 16+ games.

Geez, man! The dude was on a roll then decides to make that throw? Casey was freakin wide open crossing right in front of him. But hey, let's make up for it by trying to lob a ball into triple coverage. I've had DanO's back for a while now....I think I'm beginning to question my thought process. :gun:

Honoring Earl 34
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I think it was Herv who said he reminds him of an ex Texan QB . Dan O knew last night was his night and couldn't deliver .

I'd take a guy like Chase Daniel any day of the week because you know he won't flinch . Dan O doesn't have it between the lobes .

I don't blame Kubiak because he saw a big strong guy who he thought he could develop . You can't tell how the'll react in the game .

Houston_Fanatic
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I would cut him. The guy isn't getting any better - he has maxed out and his max isn't good enough.

But my main argument for cutting him is this was not a pressure game for him - his job wasn't on the line last night as far as I know. He was supposed to be getting some playing time in to get him ready for his backup role. Imagine what he would do when a real game was on the line. I can and it's not a pretty sight.
:gun:

I thought Booty managed the game better and made better decisions, but his accuracy needs to improve. If Casey hadn't been out there we would all be talking about how bad he stunk it up.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Players that MIGHT get cut?? Here's Tony Pike, Brian Brohm, Hunter Cantwell, Eric Ainge, Troy Smith, Colt McCoy, Stephen McGee, Drew Stanton, Tyler Palko, Chad Pennington, Chase Daniel, Colt Brennan, Charlie Batch, JP Losman, David Carr......

These are mostly just guys that are 3rd and 4th stringers. Young names I remember from the draft. I hear that Carr guy is supposed to be pretty good too.

Wolf6151
09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
When Kubiak selected Orlavsky last year to be our backup QB I was all for it, a young guy with starting experience on a terrible team with good physical skills who Kubiak could coach up. He's now had 2 training camps and a full season and he's not getting any better, he's just as bad as he was over a year ago. Sometimes you've just got to cut your losses and move on. Let's also remember that Orlavsky is going to make about 3 mil. this year as a terrible backup and as of now if Schaub went down I'd honestly want Booty to replace him. I wouldn't want to keep Orlavsky just because he knows the system, there will be plenty of guys on the waiver wire who can learn quickly.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I would cut him. The guy isn't getting any better - he has maxed out and his max isn't good enough.

But my main argument for cutting him is this was not a pressure game for him - his job wasn't on the line last night as far as I know. He was supposed to be getting some playing time in to get him ready for his backup role. Imagine what he would do when a real game was on the line. I can and it's not a pretty sight.
:gun:

I thought Booty managed the game better and made better decisions, but his accuracy needs to improve. If Casey hadn't been out there we would all be talking about how bad he stunk it up.

Then who's going to back up Schaub? Are you going to bring in a QB unfamiliar with the system and learn on the fly?

I'm not sure what to do, but if you whack DanO and Schaub goes down the first couple weeks (please, God, no) then we're even more screwed than we were with Dan. The only alternative would be if Roseypalms was cut from the Vikes.

The1ApplePie
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Its Matt Leinart time

eriadoc
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Then who's going to back up Schaub? Are you going to bring in a QB unfamiliar with the system and learn on the fly?

I'm not sure what to do, but if you whack DanO and Schaub goes down the first couple weeks (please, God, no) then we're even more screwed than we were with Dan. The only alternative would be if Roseypalms was cut from the Vikes.

I don't buy that. Right now, with no real practice reps, I trust Booty more than I trust DanO. That's not to say that I want to see Booty on the field yet, but I do want him taking the backup reps, and if he had to hold down the fort for a few games, I think he'd do alright. He'd certainly do better than Wrecks Grossman, who was better than DanO, and probably still is.

I'd also be looking for another guy, and I'd carry three QBs.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't buy that. Right now, with no real practice reps, I trust Booty more than I trust DanO. That's not to say that I want to see Booty on the field yet, but I do want him taking the backup reps, and if he had to hold down the fort for a few games, I think he'd do alright. He'd certainly do better than Wrecks Grossman, who was better than DanO, and probably still is.

I'd also be looking for another guy, and I'd carry three QBs.

And I think after last night, it leaves Rick and Kubiak no choice but to keep three.

Like I said, I'm not sure which way we're going to go. We're up the river without a paddle if Schaub goes down for a lengthy time, no matter what we decide.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Orlovsky doesn't remind me of Carr at all.

He reminds me of a younger Sage Rosenfels with a stronger arm. Orlovsky can play really well and make some really nice throws and make you think he's finally "got it"... and then suddenly make some mental mistakes that make you just shake your head and wonder where the hell that came from.

Sage keeps it together better for longer periods of time, but he still has those lapses that are just hard to explain.

Houston_Fanatic
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM

I'd go with Booty and hope like hell our running game is all that. He wouldn't be the first untested rook to be thrown into the fire and his accuracy might improve with better receivers and a better OL to protect him. I think he makes better decisions than Dan O.

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd go with Booty and hope like hell our running game is all that. He wouldn't be the first untested rook to be thrown into the fire and his accuracy might improve with better receivers and a better OL to protect him. I think he makes better decisions than Dan O.

Except that he's not a rook. :)

It's his third year.

Vinnie
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Dude, Matt can't hold Sage's jock! We need to get him back and make him the starter and use Matt as the backup! :sarcasm:

Seriously if we could get Sage back that would be cool, but I don't see it happening. I'll bet Minn rolls with three QB's.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2010, 10:50 AM

And that's fine, I thought you were for bringing in a QB from another system.

Hopefully Rosenchoke is cut and we can bring him back. DanO or Booty can be the #3.

badboy
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
8 for 8 passes and I was looking happy with Book'em DanO but then the tv guys bragged on him and he went into Twilight Zone in his head. As much as I like bootie (or Tush as ZZ Top sings) this Booty just is not the guy. I know, he looked better than O. but something just ain't right. I think we better pray that Matt is healthy. Oh, that's right, we did that last season. Well at least we know how. I just re-wrote my 2011 mock with QB moving on up to the East Side.

Rey
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I'd keep both of them at this point and hope that Sage gets cut.

steelbtexan
09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes. Cut him. He sucks.

This

PapaL
09-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Chris Simms...

ObsiWan
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Those were the strong rumors. However, it seems much less likely after tonight's performance............he went 13 for 13.

Hmmm.... 13 for 13 but only 131 yds and no TDs. Smells like dink & dunk to me. Seems as though I recall a game where HWSNBN threw 20-something completions in a row by dinking & dunking all day long. Sorry. Not impressed.

Houston_Fanatic
09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Except that he's not a rook. :)

It's his third year.

Yeah, I know - I didn't mean it literally. He has bounced around on practice squads and hasn't made a team yet so I think of him as an untested rook.

I can't say I am thrilled with what I have seen so far from Booty but I feel he has more upside than DanO at this point.

Wolf6151
09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Doesn't having a crappy backup QB make you glad that we spent all those high draft picks and big money of quality O-linemen and FA O-linemen in the last couple years to build an elite O-line. (This was sarcasm for those who can't tell) A crappy backup QB and mediocre at best O-line = lots of quick passes and prayer for Schaubs health.

ObsiWan
09-03-2010, 01:16 PM

This is exactly why if we're going to make a move we make it NOW. The sooner we cut our Orlosses and start tutoring the next guy the better off we'll be should Schaub be injured.

ObsiWan
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM

He reminds me of a younger Sage Rosenfels with a stronger arm. Orlovsky can play really well and make some really nice throws and make you think he's finally "got it"... and then suddenly make some mental mistakes that make you just shake your head and wonder where the hell that came from.

Sage keeps it together better for longer periods of time, but he still has those lapses that are just hard to explain.

You mean like that running out of the back of the endzone thing before he even came here....
:thinking:

spurstexanstros
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Where are you now DANOS........I git ripped big time for questioning that signing. Someone needs to find those threads and eat some crow.....Hey I am almost about to write a crow thread about drafting Barwin instead of rb in second round especially after our second round rb went down...if Barwin plays well this year I could admit I was wrong. So cmon Danos where are you?

Eating crow is easy...especially if you have ever been married....part of the job

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
You mean like that running out of the back of the endzone thing before he even came here....
:thinking:

That was before he'd done anything to make anyone think he had gotten it. So, that doesn't count.

That was his first NFL snap (or close to it), iirc.

Rey
09-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't think Dan-O looked as bad as a lot of people are saying...

He threw two really bad balls that resulted in 2 int's and a TD, but I think that as a back-up he would be asked to make those kind of throws. Looks like they challenged Dan-O more than they challenged Booty last night...Not to take anything away from Booty's performance, but it looked like Dan was being asked to do more from the Texans end.

The routes Booty had completions to were pretty basic routes with what looked like man covg most of (if not all) the time. Dan O saw quite a bit of Zone covg and it looked like his receivers were running more complex routes.

I think that Dan O was running a more complex version of the offense while Booty was running a watered down version against third stringers.

If Dan-O were to have to play in the regular season, I don't expect them to challenge him like that and instead give him the watered down version of the play-book.

4Texans
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, I would cut Orlovsky and give Booty a chance. Orlovsky hasn't shown anything and he's way over paid.

thunderkyss
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM

He threw two really bad balls that resulted in 2 int's and a TD, but I think that as a back-up he would be asked to make those kind of throws. Looks like they challenged Dan-O more than they challenged Booty last night...Not to take anything away from Booty's performance, but it looked like Dan was being asked to do more from the Texans end.

The routes Booty had completions to were pretty basic routes with what looked like man covg most of (if not all) the time. Dan O saw quite a bit of Zone covg and it looked like his receivers were running more complex routes.

I think that Dan O was running a more complex version of the offense while Booty was running a watered down version against third stringers.

If Dan-O were to have to play in the regular season, I don't expect them to challenge him like that and instead give him the watered down version of the play-book.

I haven't watched the game yet... I'll watch it when I get home today.

But if he looks as bad as everyone says, I think the right move would be to dump him, and pick up someone else. The difference in HWWSNBN in one offseason was pretty remarkable if you ask me. If Kubiak doesn't mess it up, like it appears he may have with DanO, and Booty, then maybe he can get someone serviceable before we need him (knock on wood).

Rey
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I haven't watched the game yet... I'll watch it when I get home today.

But if he looks as bad as everyone says, I think the right move would be to dump him, and pick up someone else. The difference in HWWSNBN in one offseason was pretty remarkable if you ask me. If Kubiak doesn't mess it up, like it appears he may have with DanO, and Booty, then maybe he can get someone serviceable before we need him (knock on wood).

He made two terrible throws that resulted in INT's.

One throw, he made the wrong read. He locked onto his receiver and did not see the safety over the top. He should have gone to Casey who had just made his cut to the left sideline as he released the ball.

The other throw he made was into triple coverage. The pass was 'completeable', but he just made a bad throw and overthrew his target.

If you listen to Kubiaks comments after the game he pretty much confirms how I felt about Orvlosky's performance. He looked really good up until those two brain dead throws. He was moving the offense but like Sage, he had two moments where his brain went dead.

I don't think that the Texans would trade DanO for Sage because DanO is basically the younger version with a stronger arm.

Other than that he played really well.

ObsiWan
09-03-2010, 03:28 PM

I'm sorry but that dawg won't hunt.

As others have said, Orlovsky has been here through TWO camps and a full 16-game season. And you're telling me if we NEED him (because that's the only way I see Schaub leaving the field) they'll STILL have to dumb down the playbook for him.

Didn't we suffer through that in '06 with HWWNBN???

And from what I've seen this preseason, neither Orlovsky or JDB has been turned loose with the full playbook. Kubiak has been like, "show me that you know the BASICS before I let you try the fancy stuff" with both of them.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not critical of Kubiak's ability to develop a backup QB as I am to choose which QB to develop.

Houston_Fanatic
09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm not critical of Kubiak's ability to develop a backup QB as I am to choose which QB to develop.

That has bothered me for quite some time. For someone who is supposedly a "quarterback expert" Kubiak has done a pretty poor job in picking who he brings in here to even try out.

Dwade
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes, he sucks.

Keep Booty

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM

Oh, come on... Remember Will Brink... uh... wait... How about Bradlee Van Pelt... oh, yeah... wait...

Well, he brought in Sage and Schaub.

That should count for something.

beerlover
09-03-2010, 03:51 PM
That has bothered me for quite some time. For someone who is supposedly a "quarterback expert" Kubiak has done a pretty poor job in picking who he brings in here to even try out.

he did get Schaub right, but now it seems like living off past glory :cool:

ObsiWan
09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh, come on... Remember Will Brink... uh... wait... How about Bradlee Van Pelt... oh, yeah... wait...

Well, he brought in Sage and Schaub.

That should count for something.

That sow's ear into a sik purse transformation trick only works so many times.
the job would be so much easier if he started with "silk"

Brisco_County
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Kubiak doesn't know when to cut his losses. It's one of the reasons he has people competing for jobs instead of making the necessary decision early on. He thinks there's a good chance that more development will save Orlovsky. Well that Tampa game was close enough to being a QB competition to convince Kubiak that Orlovsky has had more than enough chances.

Orlovsky is missing some fundamental ability. JDB has more of that ability, which was why he was the most sought after QB recruit out of high school. It's time to make that same leap of faith in JDB now.

Rey
09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry but that dawg won't hunt.

As others have said, Orlovsky has been here through TWO camps and a full 16-game season. And you're telling me if we NEED him (because that's the only way I see Schaub leaving the field) they'll STILL have to dumb down the playbook for him.

Didn't we suffer through that in '06 with HWWNBN???

And from what I've seen this preseason, neither Orlovsky or JDB has been turned loose with the full playbook. Kubiak has been like, "show me that you know the BASICS before I let you try the fancy stuff" with both of them.

The difference between DanO and Carr is that DanO is expected to be a back-up...

Dumbing down the play-book for a back-up is not some new concept.

Rey
09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
And I don't understand the attitude towards Kubes and the amount of back-up QB's he's brought in here to try and develop...

Look around the freaking leauge...how many teams has had a stable back-up QB that they have depended on for years?

Please show me all these situations where teams are bringing in back-up QB's and developing them into dependable status...

Normally guys like that get traded...We had Sage who was ok in short spurts, but we traded him...Now it's time to find the next one...

Remember, these guys are not starters...If they could play like Starters they'd probably be starting...

thunderkyss
09-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Orlovsky didn't look that bad, I wouldn't say terrible. Just casually watching the game, a cursory once through, I would say it appears that he (and Booty for that matter) are more comfortable throwing to the tightends.

I'm not saying that I believe he will win anygames for us, but he is a backup, and I don't believe he will lose any games for us either.

IDEXAN
09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Orlovsky didn't look that bad, I wouldn't say terrible. Just casually watching the game, a cursory once through, I would say it appears that he (and Booty for that matter) are more comfortable throwing to the tightends.

I'm not saying that I believe he will win anygames for us, but he is a backup, and I don't believe he will lose any games for us either.
From what I'm hearing, other than basically losing the game for the Texans
last night, DanO had a pretty good night.

JB
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
From what I'm hearing, other than basically losing the game for the Texans
last night, DanO had a pretty good night.

He had a good night until he threw that first pick. After that he was timid and erratic. Lost his confidence I would say. He started throwing short passes into the ground. Untill he decided to overthrow triple coverage....:choke:

dtran04
09-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Was nobody else slightly annoyed that JDB would get a pass knocked down every series? It also looked like he had to compensate and throw around defenders which made him pretty inaccurate.

JB
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Was nobody else slightly annoyed that JDB would get a pass knocked down every series? It also looked like he had to compensate and throw around defenders which made him pretty inaccurate.

Yep, it seemed like he played real small. Or a real low and slow release.

J_R
09-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Sage Rosenfels traded to Giants

eriadoc
09-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Yep, it seemed like he played real small. Or a real low and slow release.

Footwork.

drs23
09-03-2010, 08:45 PM
That sow's ear into a sik purse transformation trick only works so many times.
the job would be so much easier if he started with "silk"

But silk is so much more expensive than a sour's ear. Wait, 3 mill a year will buy a lot of silk. Wouldn't it?? :kitten:

TimeKiller
09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't know who you could get that would be better...I mean that's why they are backups right? I want to because that was b-a-d bad. Would I? Probably not.

TheIronDuke
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't know who you could get that would be better...I mean that's why they are backups right? I want to because that was b-a-d bad. Would I? Probably not.

Thank you, bottom line is pretty much every team would be toast without their #1 QB for an extended amount of time. Who else out there does everyone want as a backup QB that would be so much better than Orlovsky?

The Pencil Neck
09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Thank you, bottom line is pretty much every team would be toast without their #1 QB for an extended amount of time. Who else out there does everyone want as a backup QB that would be so much better than Orlovsky?

Peyton Manning?

:smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
09-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Ya know Pencil, that's actually a great post with a great analogy!!!

I totally see the correlation.

eriadoc
09-03-2010, 10:39 PM

See, here's the thing: Coaches fall in love with the big arm, the big frame, and the QB "look". The reality, as you allude to, is that you probably aren't going to get a good QB as a backup. Which means you're going to have to start ticking things off the list: big arm, big frame, quick feet, fast runner, tough guy, reads defenses, good football IQ ....

Now which of that list would you want to drop first? If you chose Dan Outofboundszky, you chose to drop "reads defenses" and "good football IQ". Personally, if I'm going to have to choose just a few things from that list (or one like it), the first quality I want in my backup is "Good Football IQ". I want my backup to make good decisions. It'd be nice if he could make every throw on the field, but if he could do that along with making good decisions, hell ... he'd be a starter. And having a guy that can throw the ball really well to the other team is pretty freakin' dumb if you ask me.

But that's what coaches fall in love with. Personally, I'd take JDB over DanO as a backup right now, because if Schaub goes down for a couple games, we need a guy that can make good decisions with the ball, not a guy that can rocket laser arm passes all over the field while throwing INTs every 10th time he touches the ball. If Schaub goes down for a lengthy time, then we're screwed anyway and this whole conversation is meaningless.

Wolf6151
09-03-2010, 11:48 PM
On the bright side if Schaub goes down for a lengthy period we get a much better set of draft picks the next year.

Carr Bombed
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
(NSFW) http://www.gifflix.com/files/7868c9eaa99d.gif :) If I was Kubiak, that's what I'd do.

powerfuldragon
09-04-2010, 12:54 AM
unless orlovsky's bringing something into the playcall thinktank, i think he ought to be cut.

MojoMan
09-04-2010, 12:59 AM

Great post. Orlovsky does not appear to be one of the best 32 QB's in the league. However, he does appear to have the talent to grow into the position over time, if the Texans are willing to be patient with him. I know every one wants everything now, but it is unreasonable to expect your second string QB to be a lights-out stud.

Even though we did have a lot of people whining and complaining about Sage Rosenfels around these parts while he was here, the truth is, the Texans were in remarkably good shape at number the #2 QB position during that time.

Unless the Texans can find someone who is markedly better - which they probably cannot - then they need to stick with Orlovsky.

dream_team
09-04-2010, 03:19 AM
I think we're in the same situation as Indy, Green Bay, New England, and Minnesota. If their starting QB goes down, they're just as much screwed as we would be.

Dan O won't be as good a backup as Sage was. Having a good 2nd string QB is a rare occurrence in the NFL, because it's only a matter of time the backup will want to move elsewhere to start. Cutting him will only make matters worse.

Thorn
09-04-2010, 03:30 AM
It looks like DanO is the backup QB whether we like it or not. I don't, I'd rather have Booty, but I'm not the coach.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 03:39 AM
See, here's the thing: Coaches fall in love with the big arm, the big frame, and the QB "look". The reality, as you allude to, is that you probably aren't going to get a good QB as a backup. Which means you're going to have to start ticking things off the list: big arm, big frame, quick feet, fast runner, tough guy, reads defenses, good football IQ ....

Now which of that list would you want to drop first? If you chose Dan Outofboundszky, you chose to drop "reads defenses" and "good football IQ". Personally, if I'm going to have to choose just a few things from that list (or one like it), the first quality I want in my backup is "Good Football IQ". I want my backup to make good decisions. It'd be nice if he could make every throw on the field, but if he could do that along with making good decisions, hell ... he'd be a starter. And having a guy that can throw the ball really well to the other team is pretty freakin' dumb if you ask me.

But that's what coaches fall in love with. Personally, I'd take JDB over DanO as a backup right now, because if Schaub goes down for a couple games, we need a guy that can make good decisions with the ball, not a guy that can rocket laser arm passes all over the field while throwing INTs every 10th time he touches the ball. If Schaub goes down for a lengthy time, then we're screwed anyway and this whole conversation is meaningless.

So, because JDB hasn't thrown an INT in the preseason, do we believe he will not throw INTs in the regular season? & because Orlovsky threw 2 INTs in the preseason, then he's an INT machine?

You do know Schaub threw an INT as well right? Should we make JDB the starter? That thinking doesn't make sense does it?

On a bad team, Orlovsky threw the ball 255 times, and only threw 8 INTs during the regular season, when the games mattered more. JDB has thrown the ball 0 times in the regular season. I know he played in a "pro-like" system at USC in front of thousands (millions?) of people, but it isn't the same thing.

I'm sure regular season game time will factor into the decision as well.

eriadoc
09-04-2010, 08:07 AM
So, because JDB hasn't thrown an INT in the preseason, do we believe he will not throw INTs in the regular season? & because Orlovsky threw 2 INTs in the preseason, then he's an INT machine?

No, and if that's what you got out of my post, I submit that you read it with your mind made up. JDB made good decisions with the ball. He didn't have the accuracy we want, but his mistakes were more likely a result of limited practice than the mistakes that DanO made. DanO just makes bad decisions that sometimes end up in INTs, sometimes end up incomplete, and sometimes end up complete. But a bad decision is still a bad decision.

Lucky
09-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Dan Orlovsky is a failure. If I can see this as a fan, why can't Kubiak see this? A veteran QB must be brought in. I love Matt Schaub's ability. But, history indicates he will miss a few games. A vet backup could keep this team competitive until Matt would return.

I'm not concerned, because I think Kubiak knows this. I'm confident the Texans will bring in someone before the seasons starts. Bulger, Rosenfels, somebody.

Urgh! (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a42c49/article/giants-acquire-backup-qb-rosenfels-kr-reynaud-from-vikings?module=HP_headlines)

The Giants gave up a 2011 fifth-round draft pick and a conditional 2012 selection based on how much Rosenfels plays.
The Texans should have made this deal.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Dan Orlovsky is a failure. If I can see this as a fan, why can't Kubiak see this? A veteran QB must be brought in. I love Matt Schaub's ability. But, history indicates he will miss a few games. A vet backup could keep this team competitive until Matt would return.

I'm not concerned, because I think Kubiak knows this. I'm confident the Texans will bring in someone before the seasons starts. Bulger, Rosenfels, somebody.

Urgh! (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a42c49/article/giants-acquire-backup-qb-rosenfels-kr-reynaud-from-vikings?module=HP_headlines)

Bringing in a Vet makes sense.

I like Sage, big fan and all... but two draft picks?? I don't think so.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM
There ARE some backups that BOTH fans and coaches can feel upbeat about.
Anyone watch the Colts/Bengals game?

Colts backup QB Tom Brandstater-------- 10 of 18 for 178 yards and three TDs and a 2 point conversion behind a terrible line and receivers known for their brick gloves. Sure, it was the last preseason game. But so was the case for Orlovsky and Booty. I'd dare say that if our backups had such a performance, we wouldn't still be having a 5 page debate over, after all the OTAs and TC/preseason, which of our sad backups was the worse choice of talent from the outset.:gun:

cuppacoffee
09-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Didn't the Saints cut Ramsey?

We made him look good last week.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Didn't the Saints cut Ramsey?

We made him look good last week.

Funny. Ramsey is who we tried to sign in 2007 to replace Rosenfels before the Broncos got him.

b0ng
09-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I would not cut Orlovsky this season. Not unless a magical "Chad Pennington" type of QB became available for us to pick up.

I think I posted this before but Booty is still going to be on our P-squad so it's not like he's leaving forever for all the Booty fans in this thread.

76Texan
09-04-2010, 11:59 AM

If DanO is an older QB, I would put emphasis on his current play.
But for one who is entering his prime, at least, IMHO, one needs to consider his whole body of work if it shows better than just one PS game indicates.

I watched all of his games when he played in Detroit, and I can guarantee with you that he made better decisions overall than Schaub two years ago.

Of his 8 Ints (I can't find my notes), but I recalled at least two of them were hail-mary type at the end of the half/end of the game (last play), some were late-game risks that a QB had to take because the chances were about to disappear.

His overall accuracy was comparable to Schaub and Rosenfels two years ago.
And for a guy who had to go long more, I would say his accuracy was better.

Sure, I'm getting a little frustrated with his last showing.
But I also remember that I was also frustrated with both Schaub and Rosenfels before.

Just my 2cents.

Lucky
09-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I watched all of his games when he played in Detroit, and I can guarantee with you that he made better decisions overall than Schaub two years ago.

I can only go off what I've seen of Orlovsky from the last 2 years in preseason, and a handful of practices. And from what I've seen, he's not good enough to be a NFL backup. Not even close. Kubiak agreed last year, and went with Grossman. I think he'll find another backup before the season starts.

Orlovsky is better than the 2007 Matt Schaub? Or Sage Rosenfels (from any year as a Texan)? No freakin' way. He's no better than the 2005 David Carr and not as good as the 2004 David Carr. Yeah, I'd take David Carr as a backup QB before Dan Orlovsky.

76Texan
09-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I can only go off what I've seen of Orlovsky from the last 2 years in preseason, and a handful of practices. And from what I've seen, he's not good enough to be a NFL backup. Not even close. Kubiak agreed last year, and went with Grossman. I think he'll find another backup before the season starts.

Orlovsky is better than the 2007 Matt Schaub? Or Sage Rosenfels (from any year as a Texan)? No freakin' way. He's no better than the 2005 David Carr and not as good as the 2004 David Carr. Yeah, I'd take David Carr as a backup QB before Dan Orlovsky.

I had already mentioned that the Lions did not run the WCO.
DanO needed the time (last year) to learn the system.

DanO did not lose any game for the Lions.
He almost helped them pull out some victories.
If the rest of his team played as well as he did, the Lions would have won their share of games when DanO was in there.
I hated it when people associated him with all the 16 losses when he only started in 7 of them.
And if you look at the 7 opponents he faced, the fact that he kept them in pretty much all of them was pretty notable.

The guy only threw 58 TD passes his Sr year in leading his HS team to a state championship, such a loser! :chef:

Lucky
09-04-2010, 12:51 PM
The guy only threw 58 TD passes his Sr year in leading his HS team to a state championship, such a loser! :chef:
If we could all live off our high school glory...

IMO, this is not about Dan Orlovsky. He is what he is. This is about what Kubiak and Smith are going to do to prepare this team for an emergency at QB. There can be no acceptable excuses.

76Texan
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
If we could all live off our high school glory...

IMO, this is not about Dan Orlovsky. He is what he is. This is about what Kubiak and Smith are going to do to prepare this team for an emergency at QB. There can be no acceptable excuses.

When he gets into a real game and stinks up the joint like Rosenfels did, I would be screaming for Kubiak/Smith's head if they don't have another vet on board.

If they feel like they need one, they should look for one now (and they might).
I would!

The1ApplePie
09-04-2010, 01:05 PM
According to Scheffter, Matt Leinart is getting cut today

gary
09-04-2010, 01:07 PM
It really does not matter who they keep. Because neither one is going to bring this team to where they would like to be. Both Dan and JDB might just be playing great in a game and then out of nowhere develope that dear in the head lights look due to a bad throw they have just made or pure bad luck. And no one knows why because it is very hard to explain. You and me as fans only know one very important thing which is the fact that if Matt goes down for X amount of thime this team will be in deep doo doo just like every other team in the NFL would be if God for bid the exact samething happend to them. There is just nother way of spining this except that from the prospective of us the fan the thought of either Dan or Booty ever playing a max number of downs in the NFL should be a very scary thought. Simply because Booty hasn't ever played an NFL down during the season and Dan has not every overly impressed anyone in his career. I don't know about you but for me this as easy as two plus is four and I think it should be the samething for you. The loss of Shaub just spells the word TROUBLE to me if either Dan or Booty is the one to replace him just take your pick in my opinion.

Lucky
09-04-2010, 01:09 PM
According to Scheffter, Matt Leinart is getting cut today
Leinart is a left-handed Orlovsky. He's proven nothing in this league.

The1ApplePie
09-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Actually has won a few real games though. Something Dano hasn't done.

It would be something if Kubes could work his magic on Matt

Wolf
09-04-2010, 01:18 PM
it seems like a HUGE drop off in production between 1st and 2nd string on the QB

granted I know I compared a probowl QB to a 2nd stringer but man it really scares me if Schaub would go down.

Sage wasn't great by no means, but it seemed like the offense could stay affloat with him in the game (minus the infamous 4th quarter against the colts)

Lucky
09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Actually has won a few real games though. Something Dano hasn't done.

OK, Leinart is 6-11 as a starter. So he has that going for him. Still hoping the Texans can do better.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Being left handed as a QB automatically complicates things. Many natural movements need to be changed and continually worked on. The left side of the line "becomes" a virtual right side. Protection schemes need to be adjusted. There is a reason that there have been only around 30 lefties in the entire history of the NFL. To have a right handed QB backed up by a left handed QB is a huge additional challenge that a team like ours needs no part of, especially when the leftie can't figure out if he's right or left brained.

HJam72
09-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I think he's become a no-brainer.

Carr Bombed
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I would not cut Orlovsky this season. Not unless a magical "Chad Pennington" type of QB became available for us to pick up.

I think I posted this before but Booty is still going to be on our P-squad so it's not like he's leaving forever for all the Booty fans in this thread.

If it's clear that Orlovsky is not remotely better than Booty, what's the point in keeping him?

Go ahead and cut him (he's not worth that salary), make Booty the #2 until you can upgrade the position, and save a PS spot.

Dan Orlovsky tying up one of the 53 roster spots makes absolutely no sense.

eriadoc
09-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's another thing:

Raw players make mistakes, but then they flash something that you can see that makes it worthwhile to develop them. Jacoby Jones until last season made mistakes left and right, but then he'd flash that special talent that made you keep some optimism. And even good players make mistakes. AJ in his early years would drop passes and occasionally fumble. But it didn't matter because he'd make up for it with a great play elsewhere. For all the K/Chris Brown bashing last season and blaming them for losing games for us, Matt Schaub threw two INTs that lost games for us. But he also made a number of really great plays and carried the team in a lot of ways, so you don't even pay attention to that.

Players that have that special something go out make plays that make you say "WOW!" When they're raw and undeveloped, they follow that up with a mistake, but at least you can see what could be with the right coaching. I can honestly only think of one play in DanO's career that makes me say "WOW!", and I think we all know the play to which I refer.

It's OK to be Just A Guy, but you better have your shit wired tight. David Anderson is Just A Guy (more or less), but he very, very seldom screws up. He just goes out and converts first downs. Seldom does he make you say "WOW!", but he also never makes you throw stuff at the screen.

I just don't see anything in DanO worth developing.

Hervoyel
09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Here's another thing:

Raw players make mistakes, but then they flash something that you can see that makes it worthwhile to develop them. Jacoby Jones until last season made mistakes left and right, but then he'd flash that special talent that made you keep some optimism. And even good players make mistakes. AJ in his early years would drop passes and occasionally fumble. But it didn't matter because he'd make up for it with a great play elsewhere. For all the K/Chris Brown bashing last season and blaming them for losing games for us, Matt Schaub threw two INTs that lost games for us. But he also made a number of really great plays and carried the team in a lot of ways, so you don't even pay attention to that.

Players that have that special something go out make plays that make you say "WOW!" When they're raw and undeveloped, they follow that up with a mistake, but at least you can see what could be with the right coaching. I can honestly only think of one play in DanO's career that makes me say "WOW!", and I think we all know the play to which I refer.

It's OK to be Just A Guy, but you better have your shit wired tight. David Anderson is Just A Guy (more or less), but he very, very seldom screws up. He just goes out and converts first downs. Seldom does he make you say "WOW!", but he also never makes you throw stuff at the screen.

I just don't see anything in DanO worth developing.

All of this is good stuff and gets right to the heart of the matter. Maybe Kubiak still sees something in DanO that makes him think he can make him better but I'd like to point out that he's going on his second year of trying to get DanO to be the guy he wants him to be. It didn't take Gary this long to decide that David Carr needed to go. Of course he had a lot more in-game information from Carr to go on but still, even Carr was a capable practice QB. All Kubiak has seen DanO do is practice and play in practice games.

I am still hoping some veteran shakes loose. It's looking less and less likely though.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Of course he had a lot more in-game information from Carr to go on but still, even Carr was a capable practice QB. All Kubiak has seen DanO do is practice and play in practice games.

I'm sorry, man. I'm going to piggy back your point here and go off on a tangent. Sorry.

But...

THIS is why I don't believe that old adage "You play like you practice."

People do not play how they practice. Some guys practice better than they play and some guys play better than they practice. You don't really know what you have until the real bullets are flying. This is why I don't get too worked up over pre-season games (good or bad) because there are just too many variables for them to be representative of anything. You can only look at a player by player basis and get a feel for how they're performing but ultimately, it's only the coaches that really know what they should be looking at.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Just my 2cents.

While I do trust your player opinions, I am concerned about this one. I believe Kubiak's system is a QB system, as long as the guy has an above average football IQ, the system should make him look "better" than he is.

I'm not worried about Orlovsky having to win games for us, but so far, this system hasn't made him look as good as it's made Carr (instant improvement), Rosenfels (instant "star"), Schaub (instant "elite")... I mean he looks "bleh"

Maybe if he get's in there with the 1s, the OL, AJ, Walter, Jacoby, OD, Dressen...

Hervoyel
09-04-2010, 03:50 PM
While I do trust your player opinions, I am concerned about this one. I believe Kubiak's system is a QB system, as long as the guy has an above average football IQ, the system should make him look "better" than he is.

I'm not worried about Orlovsky having to win games for us, but so far, this system hasn't made him look as good as it's made Carr (instant improvement), Rosenfels (instant "star"), Schaub (instant "elite")... I mean he looks "bleh"

Maybe if he get's in there with the 1s, the OL, AJ, Walter, Jacoby, OD, Dressen...

May we never learn the answer to this...

Rey
09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
THIS is why I don't believe that old adage "You play like you practice."

Yeah, you do play how you practice..

If you don't practice hard, then you will not play well..

If you go all out in practice, it will better prepare you for game time...

Look at Chris Henry...If he was a lazy practice player can you imagine how terrible he'd look on the field come game time?

It's not about how good you look in practice, it's about how hard you're going. Doesn't mean you'll look the exact same in practice as you look in live games, just means it better prepares you.

b0ng
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
If it's clear that Orlovsky is not remotely better than Booty, what's the point in keeping him?

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

I know people love TD's and hate INT's but in all honesty I did not see anything from Booty that made me think he'd be better on the field than Orlousy, The Sack Machine or Brad Johnson from 2 years ago.

I think the only thing that is clear is that we are going to probably add a cut QB, Booty isn't going to be throwing live passes unless the worst happens and Orlovsky is not going to go Jeff Hostetler on us.

Rey
09-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Orvlosky didn't look "bleh" to me.

Dude was 8-8 until he threw that pick. It's not like he 'dinked and dunked' his way to 8-8, he was throwing the ball really well until that point.

Can you or someone else tell me what it is about Orvlosky's game specifically that they have a problem with besides his mental lapses? (not to belittle mental lapses, because those are huge mistakes)

I mean...Does he look jittery in the pocket..Does he tend to rush his throws...Is he not good at feeling pressure??? Does he miss on too many throws down field...Does he look like he lacks command when he's on the field? Does it seem like he lacks a feel for the offense and where his recieveras will be? Does he fumble too many snaps? Does he take too many hits?

With David Carr I could pretty much put a check next to all of those things

To me it seems like folks are complaining just because he's Dan Orvlosky and not really looking at what he did as a whole...JMO

Orvlosky actually looked better to me than I thought he'd look.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
If you don't practice hard, then you will not play well..

I disagree.

But I think the point of that adage isn't about how hard you practice but how WELL you practice. And I disagree with that, too.

I'm not saying that guys should dog it in practice but guys that don't look good in practice and guys that don't give great effort in practice are not necessarily guys that aren't going to play well. It's like Allen Iverson said, it's just practice and some guys don't really need to practice in order to know what they need to do and how they need to do it during the game.

Now, I know the analogy I'm about to use isn't totally perfect but in music and in theater types of things, the adage is that you can tell how good the performance is going to go by how bad the last rehearsal is. The worse the rehearsal, the better the gig goes. In a bad rehearsal, you learn where the kinks are, you learn about the weaknesses in what you're doing.

I would imagine that football isn't that different.

Now, in music, I also had it drilled into my head that practice doesn't make perfect... PERFECT practice makes perfect. If you're practicing and making the same mistake over and over again, that doesn't help. You want to practice something perfectly, even if you have to slow it down to half speed or slower to get it. You need to understand exactly what you're doing and exactly how to do it right. And that links into the failures during a rehearsal (which is different than practice); if you have a lot of mistakes during rehearsal, you know not to make those again (although sometimes you do anyway.)

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Dude was 8-8 until he threw that pick. It's not like he 'dinked and dunked' his way to 8-8, he was throwing the ball really well until that point.

Can you or someone else tell me what it is about Orvlosky's game specifically that they have a problem with besides his mental lapses? (not to belittle mental lapses, because those are huge mistakes)

I mean...Does he look jittery in the pocket..Does he tend to rush his throws...Is he not good at feeling pressure??? Does he miss on too many throws down field...Does he look like he lacks command when he's on the field? Does it seem like he lacks a feel for the offense and where his recieveras will be? Does he fumble too many snaps? Does he take too many hits?

To me it seems like folks are complaining just because he's Dan Orvlosky and not really looking at what he did as a whole...JMO

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this, too. I'm fine with Orlovsky as our backup for now. I thought he was throwing the ball well and up until that first mistake, had been making good decisions. The guy's got all the tools.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 04:23 PM

I'm not one of those complaining about Orlovsky. I questioned 76Texan saying he thought DanO made better decisions than Schaub when DanO was starting for the Lions.

In Thursday's game, my only issue with him, was that he (and Booty) looked as if they were going to the TEs first, then the WR.

eriadoc
09-04-2010, 04:24 PM

He doesn't read defenses and locks into his receivers. He doesn't have field vision to see the safeties. Those are things you should have overcome after a couple years of coaching, IMO. On both of his INTs (and plenty of his completions), he didn't read the field and go to the best guy. He went to the guy he decided to go to before he even left the huddle. He never looked anyone off, he never scanned the field, and he had other open guys on the INTs. I remember on one completion to the FB (Corcoran, I think?), he had Casey wide freakin' open another ten yards upfield. But he never even looked there. He had decided to throw the ball to Corcoran when the ball was snapped.

Seriously, I'm not raving about JDB or anything, but the mistakes that JDB made were execution mistakes, not mental mistakes.

Rey
09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
It's like Allen Iverson said, it's just practice and some guys don't really need to practice in order to know what they need to do and how they need to do it during the game.

Iverson would have been a better player had he learned the value of practice.

He later came back after he had gotten older and admitted as much.

He was a talented player, but he could have taken his talents to higher heights if he had went to practice and taken it more seriously. Michale Jordan is not Michael Jordan if he does not practice hard. Same goes for every other great athlete that took their talents as far as they could take them.

That's the point of practicing...Taking your talents further than where they naturally would have gone.

JMO.

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 04:31 PM
On both of his INTs (and plenty of his completions), he didn't read the field and go to the best guy. He went to the guy he decided to go to before he even left the huddle.

I thought his second INT was a result of poor placement. If he had thrown that ball to the outside, leading the reciever, I think he would have been ok. Instead, he tried to get it over the underneath coverage, forcing him to throw it high. He couldn't get it to drop enough for our receiver. But the safety was to his inside, and the coverage from the CB & the LB were both underneath. Outside and ahead of the receiver would have been perfect.

Rey
09-04-2010, 04:44 PM
He doesn't read defenses and locks into his receivers. He doesn't have field vision to see the safeties. Those are things you should have overcome after a couple years of coaching, IMO. On both of his INTs (and plenty of his completions), he didn't read the field and go to the best guy. He went to the guy he decided to go to before he even left the huddle.

Good points.

I would say that Dan O tends to go to his first option on a play despite the coverage. It looks like he thinks that he can use his arm to get the ball to where it needs to go even if the receiver is well covered. He definitely should learn to scan the field.

He never looked anyone off, he never scanned the field, and he had other open guys on the INTs. I remember on one completion to the FB (Corcoran, I think?), he had Casey wide freakin' open another ten yards upfield. But he never even looked there. He had decided to throw the ball to Corcoran when the ball was snapped.

That was a designed play to Cochran...It was obvious that he was the first option on that play...If your first option is wide open you throw the ball...Doesn't make much sense to go to a second read

Seriously, I'm not raving about JDB or anything, but the mistakes that JDB made were execution mistakes, not mental mistakes.

From my observations JDB wasn't running the same kind of plays that DanO was running. To me it looked like JDB was running a generic version of the offense against a generic version of Tampa's defense. We're talking about 3's vs. 3's. They probably don't have a good enough grasp of the concept of the plays like the two's should have.

DanO, Casey, Butler, Jeremiah, Chris White, Studdard, Caldwell, Briesel, David Anderson...These are guys who have been here, so I'd expect that they were given a wider variety of plays to run VS. the threes who Kubiak pointed out didn't always know where to line up at.

My only contention is that DanO is a back-up. he's expected to be a back-up. The only way he becomes a starter is if Matt goes down. If Matt goes down we are probably screwed no matter who our back up is. Unless we were one of the few lucky teams that get back-ups that could probably start. Key word there being few.

To me, not having a a full grasp on how to go through all of your reads is pretty typical back-up stuff. I think that Kubiak would probably give DanO a limited version of the play-book in the regular season much like I believe he did with Booty. I don't understand some of the angst directed towards Orvlosky when he is expected to be a back up. If he went out there and played well enough to be a starter he'd probably be...a starter...

Either that, or the first time Schab made a mistake we'd have fans calling for DanO to start...Dejavu?

eriadoc
09-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I thought his second INT was a result of poor placement. If he had thrown that ball to the outside, leading the reciever, I think he would have been ok. Instead, he tried to get it over the underneath coverage, forcing him to throw it high. He couldn't get it to drop enough for our receiver. But the safety was to his inside, and the coverage from the CB & the LB were both underneath. Outside and ahead of the receiver would have been perfect.

If a more experienced QB had attempted that throw with the same result, I might be inclined to believe you. But when a novice QB tries to thread a needle into triple coverage, I'm more likely to believe that he should have just read the defense and thrown to the open guy. Either way, it's a bad decision. He either thought he could get away with throwing into triple coverage with perfect placement (which, he could have asked any of us and we'd have told him no), or he didn't read the defense properly.

Maddict5
09-04-2010, 04:46 PM
theres plenty of chances for kubiak to find another possible replacement if he wants with pat white, troy smith, leinart & bomar all getting cut. do any of those have PS eligibility left?

eriadoc
09-04-2010, 04:52 PM
To me, not having a a full grasp on how to go through all of your reads is pretty typical of a back-up stuff. I think that Kubiak would probably give DanO a limited version of the play-book in the regular season much like I believe he did with Booty. I don't understand some of the angst directed towards Orvlosky when he is expected to be a back up. If he went out there and played well enough to be a starter he'd probably be...a starter...

Either that, or the first time Schab made a mistake we'd have fans calling for DanO to start...Dejavu?

See my earlier post in the thread. What does a backup do during the week? He might get a few reps, but for the most part, he sits around and studies the play book, film, and all those pretty pictures they take during a game. In other words, all he does is mental work. So when a guy goes out on the field in a practice situation, I expect to see rustiness with footwork, getting the ball to certain spots, timing, etc. I don't want to see mental issues with the backup QB. The only mental issues I expect is lack of full knowledge about the playbook, maybe (unless he's had the playbook a couple years).

Your point about running different plays is valid, but you can still evaluate one guy's grasp of things vs. another. Maybe JDB doesn't know as many plays as DanO, but he appears to have a better mental grasp of the ones he's been expected to learn.

Hervoyel
09-04-2010, 05:02 PM

I think that all by themselves his "mental lapses" are enough to say "Ok, find me someone better please" but that's just me. Dan Orlovsky is about to begin his 6th season in the NFL and he's still having mental lapses like that? Watching Dan Orlovsky play QB reminds me of 2006 and Gary Kubiak yelling at David Carr. I recall something along the lines of "You've been an NFL QB for 4 years and you still throw that pass?" I am paraphrasing but I think that's close enough for most here to remember that time.

Entering his 6th year, with 7 starts and 6 training camps under his belt I believe that the mental lapses aren't going anywhere. He's not changing. He was 8 of 8 before he began screwing up. Big deal, I watched David Carr complete 22 straight passes once. I still knew what to expect from him once that was over though.

Rey
09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I think that all by themselves his "mental lapses" are enough to say "Ok, find me someone better please" but that's just me. Dan Orlovsky is about to begin his 6th season in the NFL and he's still having mental lapses like that? Watching Dan Orlovsky play QB reminds me of 2006 and Gary Kubiak yelling at David Carr. I recall something along the lines of "You've been an NFL QB for 4 years and you still throw that pass?" I am paraphrasing but I think that's close enough for most here to remember that time.

Entering his 6th year, with 7 starts and 6 training camps under his belt I believe that the mental lapses aren't going anywhere. He's not changing. He was 8 of 8 before he began screwing up. Big deal, I watched David Carr complete 22 straight passes once. I still knew what to expect from him once that was over though.

Yeah...

People keep bringing up Carr...I don't get that comparison at all...

Carr was expected to be a starter,team leader and come close to living up to being picked #1 overall, and DanO is expected to be a functioning back-up.

Carr had been getting starters reps and attention for all those years...Dan has not been.

I can see why Kubiak wouldn't be as hard on Dan as he was on Carr. That's like comparing Connor Barwin to Mario Williams. Totally different expectations there.

And David Carr completed 22 straight passes that were dinks and dunks, a lot of them going to backs. DanO was actually throwing the ball down field. He finished the game with around 10 yds/completion...that's not too bad

IMO, DanO is a better QB than Carr was when he was with us. JMO.

Carr Bombed
09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

I know people love TD's and hate INT's but in all honesty I did not see anything from Booty that made me think he'd be better on the field than Orlousy, The Sack Machine or Brad Johnson from 2 years ago.

I think the only thing that is clear is that we are going to probably add a cut QB, Booty isn't going to be throwing live passes unless the worst happens and Orlovsky is not going to go Jeff Hostetler on us.

Who's talking about TD's and INT's?

It was obvious that Booty was making better reads. Even if Booty is not better than Orlovsky, he isn't worse either, but he is cheaper. Just doesn't make much sense to keep him on the roster.

Oh well none of this matters, because both of these guys aren't the answer.

Rey
09-04-2010, 05:16 PM
See my earlier post in the thread. What does a backup do during the week? He might get a few reps, but for the most part, he sits around and studies the play book, film, and all those pretty pictures they take during a game. In other words, all he does is mental work. So when a guy goes out on the field in a practice situation, I expect to see rustiness with footwork, getting the ball to certain spots, timing, etc. I don't want to see mental issues with the backup QB. The only mental issues I expect is lack of full knowledge about the playbook, maybe (unless he's had the playbook a couple years).

Your point about running different plays is valid, but you can still evaluate one guy's grasp of things vs. another. Maybe JDB doesn't know as many plays as DanO, but he appears to have a better mental grasp of the ones he's been expected to learn.

And this goes back to a section of my last post...

How many back-up QB's can come in and do that? How many back-up QB's are going to come into the game and consistently make most of the right reads?

If DanO could do all that he'd be a starter.

What player are you going to bring in to replace DanO that you feel would be that much better than him? Very few teams have back-ups that can come in and play to the level that you are talking about.

Hervoyel
09-04-2010, 05:30 PM
See, you ask what player are we going to bring in to replace DanO with and I honestly think it's too late for that. I am an advocate of bringing in the old veteran QB as opposed to a "not quite as good as my starter young guy" but that's just my opinion and there are other schools of thought on this. I want to be bringing that older guy off the bench who maybe doesn't have the gun or the legs but has experience and has probably forgotten more about the game than DanO is ever going to get into that thick skull of his. Baltimore has Marc Bulger coming off the bench for them. Dallas has Jon Kitna. Miami has Chad Pennington, and the Jets have Mark Brunell. Hey the Redskins have Rex Grossman and the Titans have Kerry Collins. Both of those guys started a Super Bowl.

Now there aren't a lot of these guys around. Some players are starters or out of the game and have no interest in a backup role. I know there aren't a lot of these guys available (and not all of them are players you actually want to bring into your team, I wouldn't have been interested in Collins for example) but if you go this route and pay for your backup to be someone with experience then you don't have this kind of crap on the back of your mind as the season is about to begin. Rex Ryan isn't worried about what Brunell is going to do if Sanchez gets hurt. He knows what he's going to get out of him. That's the kind of peace of mind I want out of my 2. The 3 can be a puppy I'm grooming or an experiment who's headed for the practice squad or whatever but the 2 I want to be a known quantity.

I didn't like the Orlovsky signing when it happened and he's done nothing to change my mind thus far. Grossman was a steal compared to Orlovsky though he wasn't going to stay. He wants to be a starter again and I get that. I sure wish we'd had him on an option year though when we signed him. He needed the work and we could have either gotten something for him or would still have him standing between DanO and the playing field.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 07:26 PM

If you stop and think about it, the 4th preseason game last year left Kubiak saying that Orlovsky was "inconsistent".......and that's why he was naming Grossman as the #2. Now, remember, Grossman himself was far from a picture of consistency, which tells you something.

One year later, following the 4th preseason game we are left with the same Kubiak concern of inconsistency. But this time, his competition is even less experienced and there is a buzz that another "vet" needs to be brought in.
Again, is it really the "evaluation of talent" that is "inconsistent?"

Yankee_In_TX
09-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Not sure what NY gave up for Sage, but I'd take him over DanO or JDizzle.

ObsiWan
09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
If you stop and think about it, the 4th preseason game last year left Kubiak saying that Orlovsky was "inconsistent".......and that's why he was naming Grossman as the #2. Now, remember, Grossman himself was far from a picture of consistency, which tells you something.

One year later, following the 4th preseason game we are left with the same Kubiak concern of inconsistency. But this time, his competition is even less experienced and there is a buzz that another "vet" needs to be brought in.
Again, is it really the "evaluation of talent" that is "inconsistent?"

This is the one thing I'd like to surgically remove from Kubiak's personality; this penchant for wanting to "groom prospect QBs".
Gary, please, just because he kinda looks like Matt Schaub doesn't mean you can help him grow up to be a Matt Schaub.

Hervoyel
09-04-2010, 11:11 PM
This is the one thing I'd like to surgically remove from Kubiak's personality; this penchant for wanting to "groom prospect QBs".
Gary, please, just because he kinda looks like Matt Schaub doesn't mean you can help him grow up to be a Matt Schaub.

I'd be cool if he could just reign that in a bit and maybe always have a 3 who's a bit of a project. I think having your 2 be a "look how good a QB coach Gary is, he can even make this guy good" type player is a bit risky and I definitely have had that vibe at times first with Sage, then with DanO. Hell, I understood it with Rex but then they didn't even try to lock him in and make something out of him. He was brought here to be the cheap insurance behind Orlovsky. It would have made sense to be trying to resurrect Grossman's career. He sort of almost had one. Orlovsky is more of a never-was than anything else. The problem is he still looks like that to me.

eriadoc
09-05-2010, 12:43 AM
And this goes back to a section of my last post...

How many back-up QB's can come in and do that? How many back-up QB's are going to come into the game and consistently make most of the right reads?

If DanO could do all that he'd be a starter.

What player are you going to bring in to replace DanO that you feel would be that much better than him? Very few teams have back-ups that can come in and play to the level that you are talking about.

Plenty of QBs can come in and make the right reads. What coaches seem to want more than anything is a guy that can make the right reads AND make all the throws with a rocket arm, and be tall, and be tough, and be mobile, yadda, yadda, ya. If a QB can do all that, he can be a starter. If he can't, well ... they'll take a guy with the physical attributes thinking they can instill the mental. My point, my argument, my slant on this whole thing is you can't fix stupid. OK, stupid is harsh, but it's kind of the point. With some of these guys, it seems you can't teach football IQ. Maybe the game goes too fast for them, maybe they just can't grasp the nuances, or maybe they just can't control their own impulses and take too many risks. Whatever. I'd rather have a guy that can come in and do the mental stuff for a backup, because he'll protect the ball and get it to the playmakers. Maybe he won't be chucking it 25 yards downfield on a deep out, but he'll get the team through a rough patch. The coaches seem to always start sacrificing the wrong stuff first, IMO.

Give me a guy like Pennington, who has the smarts, but not the arm. Give me a vet that's lost a step, like Jeff Garcia - has the smarts, knows WCO, but can't game like he used to. Give me an up-and-comer with brains that doesn't have prototypical size, like Chase Daniel might be, or JDB might be, or Drew Brees was when he started. Give me a guy with something between the ears ---- AS A BACKUP. If I can get a whole list of things, then I have a starter. If not, start me off with football IQ and work from there. DanO has the arm and he has the size, but he doesn't have it upstairs. Sorry, he just doesn't. And that means he won't be a good QB, backup or otherwise, in the NFL.

76Texan
09-05-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm not one of those complaining about Orlovsky. I questioned 76Texan saying he thought DanO made better decisions than Schaub when DanO was starting for the Lions.

In Thursday's game, my only issue with him, was that he (and Booty) looked as if they were going to the TEs first, then the WR.

TK, you made me pull out the tape of the Texans/Lions game in 08.
This one basically describes DanO's season with Detroit.

I counted at least 4 dropped balls and 2 PIs (on the Texans) that were not called, and the game ended up 28-21.
If you just cut those numbers in half, the result would be a complete reversal.

And I've already discounted the fact that our D had some very timely pressure.

I imagine Kubiak liked what he saw.

DanO showed his mobility in this game.
He looked a million times better than Carr with pressure constantly around him in only his second career start.

He made all kind of different throws... adjusting it when he couldn't fully step up the pocket, on the run, side arm, touch pass, floater, long bombs, back pedaling...

He made good decisions as much as you can expect from a QB under pressure (exceptional for a backup QB).

If you want to see some throws that make you go WOW, you can find them here.
Like the 96yd connection to Calvin Johnson.
Or the one into the seam between 4 defenders, perfect location.
And some other throws.

This game pretty much summed up his season:
Under pressure
Dropped balls
Calls that went the other way
Not enough help from the D

ubecool454
09-05-2010, 08:33 AM
I would cut him but Kubiak is wanting to prove he is right when he is wrong about that loser.

Corrosion
09-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I would cut him but Kubiak is wanting to prove he is right when he is wrong about that loser.

Put the crack pipe down , you couldnt be farther from the truth. Kubiaks job is on the line and if they dont make the playoffs , Dan-O's improvement or lack thereof doesnt matter .... If they dont make the playoffs , Kubiak is likely gone unless they win 10+ and dont make it or GOD forbid , Schaub goes down.

Its more about lack of a better option and the fact that Booty will be on the PS.

There were several QB's that were cut .... and I fully expect Smith and Kubiak to look into those that are available who would be an upgrade over the guy who reminds me of HHWNBM .... errr Dan-O.