PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans season

gunny
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
As a Titans fan I now realise the Texans are a dangerous team and it makes any hope we have of playoffs even harder. I asked Overalls this on the GoTitans forum but he might have missed but I am curious how you all think the Texans will go this season?

Considering off-season loses/acquisitions, the draft, injuries, schedule and pre-season what are you guys expecting from the Texans?

Texan_Bill
08-31-2010, 10:34 PM
As a Titans fan I now realise the Texans are a dangerous team and it makes any hope we have of playoffs even harder. I asked Overalls this on the GoTitans forum but he might have missed but I am curious how you all think the Texans will go this season?

Considering off-season loses/acquisitions, the draft, injuries, schedule and pre-season what are you guys expecting from the Texans?

Gunny, I still peruse GoTitans.com, but haven't posted in a long time. Anywho, I can see us going anywhere from 10-6 to 6-10. Seriously!! We have talent, but we still have many of weaknesses. To wit, our corners. One is a second year guy, the other a rookie. Our offense will be as good as ever, however, we are still showing a weakness in the Red Zone... I guess at the end of the day, that's why we play the games. ;)

newtexan
08-31-2010, 10:41 PM
I see the Texans going young, new players will make a name for themselves quickly, the Texans will take the NFL by storm.

Texan_Bill
08-31-2010, 10:43 PM
I see the Texans going young, new players will make a name for themselves quickly, the Texans will take the NFL by storm.

Ummmm, the Texans were already young. The starters from last season were the youngest in the NFL...
Just sayin'.

JB
08-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Ummmm, the Texans were already young. The starters from last season were the youngest in the NFL...
Just sayin'.

He's still hoping for his boy Sheppard...

gunny
08-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Gunny, I still peruse GoTitans.com, but haven't posted in a long time. Anywho, I can see us going anywhere from 10-6 to 6-10. Seriously!! We have talent, but we still have many of weaknesses. To wit, our corners. One is a second year guy, the other a rookie. Our offense will be as good as ever, however, we are still showing a weakness in the Red Zone... I guess at the end of the day, that's why we play the games. ;)

How is Daniels going? He's a stud at Tight End. Will he be fully recovered?

Can Foster carry the load?
I suspect Schuab will be Schuab like, especially with Andre Johnson.

Who are your starting corners? I know Dunta is gone and Fred Bennett was released. Your safeties are solid though?

JB
08-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Who are your starting corners? I know Dunta is gone and Fred Bennett was released. Your safeties are solid though?

Daniels should be good to go. If not, we have some pretty good depth there.

Foster can carry the load. He will have too, but he will get some help.

Starting corners will be Jackson and Quinn. Quinn will move to the slot when in nickle, and McCain will play outside.

Safties are set if health allows. Pollard is another beast & Wilson is solid when healthy. Depth is questionable.

I'm looking for a good year. But it's going to be a tough road, and they will have to be focused each and every week and avoid those 3 or 4 bad plays a game that killed them the past couple of years.

jaayteetx
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM

Daniels first week of practice was this week, he is supposedly fully recovered, Foster looks like the real deal but most want to see a larger sampling before they are fully convinced, Grover Quin and Kareem Jackson are the starters at CB, a second year man and a rookie respectively. Quin looked good last year and early returns are promising for Jackson but an early season test against Indy awaits. Pollard and Wilson are solid at safety with Troy Nolan, a second year man, looking to crack the starting line up with a solid camp and preseason. I like our prospects personally, but I've had my heart broken before so we'll see.

Texan_Bill
08-31-2010, 11:03 PM

He's actually cleared to play this Thursday although I think he's sitting out. He's been working out, running patterns, making cuts, etc... We'll see. The concern with OD is that this actually like his second or third knee...

Schaub----->AJ will always be money!

Arian Foster looked outstanding at the end of last season and again this preseason. Will he be able to carry the load, we'll see, but he's given us a lot to look forward to.

Corners will be Quin (second year) and Kareem Jackson (R) -or- at least they are penciled in for now. Kinda scary, but I think Jackson will prove himself to be an upgrade over Dunta Robinson.

Safeties are solid. Not spectacular, but solid. Hopefully Eugene Robinson can stay healthy this year. If not Troy Nolan has looked good. Bernard Pollard wants to knock the piss out of the Titans. (and any other team, that's an inside joke if you will)...

gunny
08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Hopefully Eugene Robinson can stay healthy this year.

I hear he has VD ;). I think you mean Eugene Wilson.

gunny
08-31-2010, 11:14 PM
BTW do you guys really buy Cushing's excuse for testing positive?

Pollardized
08-31-2010, 11:18 PM
BTW do you guys really buy Cushing's excuse for testing positive?

Do you guys really believe vince young doesn't partake in the allnight buffet at Murphy's Schlong Shoppe?

ChampionTexan
08-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Hopefully Eugene Robinson can stay healthy this year.

:facepalm:
Bill

gunny
08-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Do you guys really believe vince young doesn't partake in the allnight buffet at Murphy's Schlong Shoppe?

Have you ever beaten Vince Young?

Pollardized
08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Have you ever beaten Vince Young?

I heard vince did alot of beating this night:

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/vince-young-shirtless.jpg

gunny
08-31-2010, 11:54 PM
I heard vince did alot of beating this night:

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/vince-young-shirtless.jpg

Probably celebrating another win over the Texans.

Pollardized
08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Probably celebrating another win over the Texans.

Probably celebrating 2-for-1 dance night at La Bare

Norg
09-01-2010, 12:10 AM
TBH the talk around he is DIV game and lose the DIV round

my goals are higher either make it to the super bowl or Bust season

i will be mad if we go to the SB and lose it but thats kinda how i see things playing out we make it to the SB but fall short I hope im wrong tho

Texan_Bill
09-01-2010, 12:25 AM

D'oh!!!

gunny
09-01-2010, 12:30 AM

i will be mad if we go to the SB and lose it but thats kinda how i see things playing out we make it to the SB but fall short I hope im wrong tho

If you beat the Colts in the Championship it won't be so bad.

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Come on, guys.

We have a thread talking to an opponent about our team and we already have 2 mistakes on player's names?

This year is going to be a dog fight. We've got everything we need to do really well this year. We've just never done really well so who knows if we'll be able to pull it off. Some poster's are afraid that we don't have the coaching cojones to get it done.

Our defense could be really good. Our defensive backfield is probably as talented a group as we've ever had even with Dunta gone. Our safeties are solid but our CBs are young and could be a weakness.

Our linebacking corp has been hit with injuries and the suspension. (And, yes, Cushing probably did do steroids but it's irritating that the national media keep getting the facts of the case wrong. He didn't test positive for steroids or for a masking agent or even for a performance enhancing drug.)

On the DL, we think we're good at DE and we may have upgraded our DT rotation but we're not sold yet on how strong our DTs are against the run. We'll see when we play you guys.

On the offensive side, our starting QB and our WRs are beastly. We feel better about our line than we have in a while but the question is still in the interior of it. Arian Foster could be the real deal but Jeremiah Johnson could also be a surprise. Our running game should be significantly better than it was last year... barring injury. If we hadn't lost Ben Tate to injury, this would definitely have been our best stable of running backs ever... and it may be even with him injured.

And ALL our TE's have the potential to be scary good. OD is a beast but we've got 3 others that have similar potential.

So, we're hopeful. We're hoping to at least get 10 wins and a wildcard berth but we'd love to tear the Colts down and win the division outright. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've got to win a season opener first and we haven't done that in a few years.

Malloy
09-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Come on, guys.

We have a thread talking to an opponent about our team and we already have 2 mistakes on player's names?

Don't worry, DeMario Williams will beat up his Titans and he'll shut up ;)

gunny
09-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Don't worry, DeMario Williams will beat up his Titans and he'll shut up ;)

I'm not trashing your team. I'm curious on your opinions.

infantrycak
09-01-2010, 01:37 AM

I'd like to thank you for being a respectful fan from another team and not being disrespectful but wanting to talk football. We have some other visiting fans that are the same. There is some good natured ribbing but no hostility. Welcome to the MB.

PS - we have several jarheads on the MB as well - Dread Head being the most prominent.

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Malloy wasn't bagging on you. At least, I don't think he was. He was making fun of a news article that either a blogger or a journalist put out about our team talking about Demario Williams (which is a mashup of Demeco Ryans and Mario Williams OR he just had the Saint's Demario Pressley stuck in his head for some reason.)

Texan_Bill
09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Come on, guys.

Well bookmark it because I don't make mistakes on players names very often unless a) it's late or b) a buzz is involved... Oh yeah and c) BOTH.

PS. There is also option d) It could've been a Freudian slip I was thinking about prostitutes so Eugene Robinson slipped out.

HOU-TEX
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
To me, we've got 4 issues going into this season.

1. Pass rush. Can anyone not named Mario get to the QB?

2. Youth and inexperienced secondary. Can they hold up? A lot has to do with #1

3. Run blocking. Things are looking better, but still show some inability to run in the redzone.

4. Arian Foster and ???....Seriously! Who do we have behind Foster? Nada! I fully expect a RB or two to be picked up after this big cut coming up.

Malloy
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Malloy wasn't bagging on you. At least, I don't think he was. He was making fun of a news article that either a blogger or a journalist put out about our team talking about Demario Williams (which is a mashup of Demeco Ryans and Mario Williams OR he just had the Saint's Demario Pressley stuck in his head for some reason.)

Bingo :)

Thorn
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Until the Texans prove otherwise, they are not a playoff team.

Will they prove something this year? It's very possible, the Texans should be a strong team this year. But they have no, none, zero, zilch experience in the post season as yet. Until they get there, it's all words and expectations and nothing more.

badboy
09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Gunny, welcome from a jar head from 1970-73. I want to focus on a player not specifically mention on Texans that I have predicted for pro bowl, Jacoby Jones Wide Receiver. He will take focus off Andre Johnson as JJ can no longer be ignored. I am disappointed only in that he will also be involved again in the return and not be able to zero in on receiver duties. He is strong and fast and brings an excitement to the crowd.

ChampionTexan
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Well bookmark it because I don't make mistakes on players names very often unless a) it's late or b) a buzz is involved... Oh yeah and c) BOTH.

PS. There is also option d) It could've been a Freudian slip I was thinking about prostitutes so Eugene Robinson slipped out.

So Eugene Robinson is now a euphemism for your...well, you know.

:hobie::hobie::hobie:

:backsout:

gunny
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey Gunny, welcome from a jar head from 1970-73. I want to focus on a player not specifically mention on Texans that I have predicted for pro bowl, Jacoby Jones Wide Receiver. He will take focus off Andre Johnson as JJ can no longer be ignored. I am disappointed only in that he will also be involved again in the return and not be able to zero in on receiver duties. He is strong and fast and brings an excitement to the crowd.

I know a few guys over at GoTitans were high on Jacoby Jones and wanted us to draft him as well.

Dwade
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM

We have never made the playoffs, and you consider this season Super Bowl or bust???

Ghostform
09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
speaking of our season...idk if anyone posted this yet but its a recent article on NFL.com about supposed up and coming teams this season...which we are top of the list

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story/09000d5d81a2de30/article/these-steadily-building-teams-now-ready-to-complete-the-job?module=HP_cp2

Texan_Bill
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
re: Houston texans season

19-0!

:D

Really!

gunny
09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
We have never made the playoffs, and you consider this season Super Bowl or bust???

Well we never made the playoffs as Tennessee and went to the Superbowl the first time we did.

Dwade
09-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Well we never made the playoffs as Tennessee and went to the Superbowl the first time we did.

You weren't an expansion team though...you were the Oilers with a different name.

DexmanC
09-02-2010, 06:27 AM

Will they prove something this year? It's very possible, the Texans should be a strong team this year. But they have no, none, zero, zilch experience in the post season as yet. Until they get there, it's all words and expectations and nothing more.

This is real talk. Problem is, myopia is running rampant now. What you've
said is exactly what I know and understand. It is up to the TEXANS to
give us a REASON to believe THIS is the year.

gary
09-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Bob is cheap errrrr stir the pot.

ObsiWan
09-02-2010, 05:22 PM

QFT. Most everything else is speculation and hope.

gunny
09-02-2010, 06:35 PM
You weren't an expansion team though...you were the Oilers with a different name.

I know, but it makes little difference. As we, the Steelers and Arizona proved, once you make the playoffs it's a whole different ball game.