PDA

View Full Version : Please Tell me about Toby Gerhart

b0ng
08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
From a Vikings fan:

"Slow. Can't block. Can't catch. But hey, my granpda loves him! **** Toby Gerhart."

I'm watching the Vikings vs Seahawks game and I think I missed most of Gerhart's play. He did have an outside run that went for about 3 yards though.

RMartin, tell me what you've seen!

GP
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
From a Vikings fan:

"Slow. Can't block. Can't catch. But hey, my granpda loves him! **** Toby Gerhart."

I'm watching the Vikings vs Seahawks game and I think I missed most of Gerhart's play. He did have an outside run that went for about 3 yards though.

RMartin, tell me what you've seen!

I seriously had a dream last night that he busted off like a 80-yard run for a TD, and I was yelling at the TV because he did so good and our guy is out for the year.

Funny that I come here this morning and read your post. It was one of those "seems very real" dreams, and I'm glad it was just a dream.

BigBull17
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
That's kind of funny. I saw one of their preseason games and he just looks out of place. He is not an NFL running back.

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I seriously had a dream last night that he busted off like a 80-yard run for a TD, and I was yelling at the TV because he did so good and our guy is out for the year.

Funny that I come here this morning and read your post. It was one of those "seems very real" dreams, and I'm glad it was just a dream.

I didn't want Toby , I want Joe Webb instead of Trindon .

El Tejano
09-01-2010, 08:34 AM
I didn't want Toby , I want Joe Webb instead of Trindon .

Is Joe Webb the QB that was playing in the game against the 49ers? If so, I liked what I saw out of that guy too.

Dutchrudder
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I wanted Jonathan Dwyer for our first 6th...

Really could have used him given our RB woes.

gwallaia
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I picked up Gerhardt in like the 16th or 17th round in my fantasy draft.

TimeKiller
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Beat Whitey!!!

Blake
09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I wanted Jonathan Dwyer for our first 6th...

Really could have used him given our RB woes.

Agreed. I was ok taking Dwyer in round 3. And we didnt want him in roundn 6? We would rather have Shelley Smith who could have been had with our 2nd 6th round pick when we took Holliday.

I really wanted Anthony Dixon though.

rmartin65
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I have not been able to see any Vikings' games yet. I am a little surprised to hear this though, it is something that I will keep an eye on. Just looking at box scores, he is doing better than AP, 3.3 yards per carry to 3.1. He is a rookie, I would say just give him time.

badboy
09-01-2010, 10:03 AM
The good thing about TG playing for Vikings is he will play with AP who can mentor him and coach can bring him along slowly. The bad thing is he will be compared to AP. I agree with 65, give him some time.

The1ApplePie
09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I seriously think the only people that wanted Toby were people that still thought an Earl Campbell type was relevant in the modern NFL.

Hey, I wanted Joe McKnight:evil:

Blake
09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I seriously think the only people that wanted Toby were people that still thought an Earl Campbell type was relevant in the modern NFL.

Hey, I wanted Joe McKnight:evil:

Let me guess. Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, and trade the rest of our draft for LenDale White. Got it.

The1ApplePie
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Let me guess. Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, and trade the rest of our draft for LenDale White. Got it.

Apparently that would be better than Ben Tate...

I've made myself sad now:foottap:

Blake
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Apparently that would be better than Ben Tate...

I've made myself sad now:foottap:

Ouch. I think everyone is sad now.

b0ng
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
The two runs I've seen him on he just looked slow compared to NFL defenses. Not un-decisive, just about a step too slow to really make anything work. He honestly looks like a fullback (lol white guy lol) trying to turn the corner. I may have missed any awesome runs he's had since I've seen 2 whole carries, but that's just my thoughts from the very brief action I've seen.

If he can't block he's going to have a hard time finding carries.

DexmanC
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Beat Whitey!!!

Whitey Ford's been dead a long time. No way to beat him.

DexmanC
09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
The two runs I've seen him on he just looked slow compared to NFL defenses. Not un-decisive, just about a step too slow to really make anything work. He honestly looks like a fullback (lol white guy lol) trying to turn the corner. I may have missed any awesome runs he's had since I've seen 2 whole carries, but that's just my thoughts from the very brief action I've seen.

If he can't block he's going to have a hard time finding carries.

Trivia:
Who was the last White Guy to lead the NFL in Rushing Yards?

b0ng
09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Straight up gut check tells me John Riggins.

Dutchrudder
09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Trivia:
Who was the last White Guy to lead the NFL in Rushing Yards?

Chuck Norris?

DexmanC
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Straight up gut check tells me John Riggins.

Close. The last white RB to lead the NFL in Rushing Yards came FIFTY-FOUR
years ago in 1956. His name is Rick Casares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Casares).
He was inducted into the Chicago Bears Hall of Fame. His team records weren't touched until
the arrival of a snot-nosed kid named Walter Payton.
http://www.bearshistory.com/images/bearshistory_rick_casares.jpg

He led the NFL is rushing with 234 carries, 1126 yards, with 12 TD's and
4.8 yards-per-carry.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Close. The last white RB to lead the NFL in Rushing Yards came FIFTY-FOUR
years ago in 1956. His name is Rick Casares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Casares).
He was inducted into the Chicago Bears Hall of Fame. His team records weren't touched until
the arrival of a snot-nosed kid named Walter Payton.
http://www.bearshistory.com/images/bearshistory_rick_casares.jpg

He led the NFL is rushing with 234 carries, 1126 yards, with 12 TD's and
4.8 yards-per-carry.

Close, but wrong.

HOU-TEX
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm going to have to guess HOU-TEX. I heard back in the day he ran a 4.96 in the 40. I think he can still break a 7.

Seņor Stan
09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Jim Taylor.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Jim Taylor.

Bingo!

Seņor Stan
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Bingo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcnbT_0bhx4

Power Sweep!

DexmanC
09-01-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcnbT_0bhx4

Power Sweep!

Gerhart's got a tough act to follow. He needs a seal here, and a seal here.

Mr teX
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah i couldn't believe some here who were clamoring for this dude...He looked slow in college & you're not going to be running over guys in the NFL like he was in college..

Spled
09-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Don't underestimate that Vikings line with Hutchinson. Gerhart should have a good season.

The1ApplePie
09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah i couldn't believe some here who were clamoring for this dude...He looked slow in college & you're not going to be running over guys in the NFL like he was in college..

The Luv Ya Blue crowd thought he was the return of Earl Campbell or something.

Because big, slow RBs are still effective in the NFL

eriadoc
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
The Luv Ya Blue crowd thought he was the return of Earl Campbell or something.

Because big, slow RBs are still effective in the NFL

*pssst* ... Your ignorance is showing. Earl was not slow.

HOU-TEX
09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
*pssst* ... Your ignorance is showing. Earl was not slow.

Agreed! That was just one of the things that separated Earl from the rest. Great speed to go with his size. His size + speed = total annihilation of all that got in his way