PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown: If Bush loses Heisman, give it to Young

MojoMan
08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
There has been some talk lately of Reggie Bush being stripped of his 2005 Heisman trophy as a result of being declared ineligible during the 2005 season. If Bush is declared ineligible, then how could he possibly be eligible for any awards for his play that season? It is a good question that will be resolved by the Heisman Trust Committee that awarded Bush the Heisman trophy to begin with.

If Bush is stripped of the award, then Vince Young is the obvious recipient of the award. He was second in the Heisman voting that year. And he was without question one of the most amazing college players in NCAA football history. If Bush is stripped of the award, Mack Brown is right. Vince Young should be awarded the Heisman trophy.

Brown: If Bush loses Heisman, give it to Young (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5515054)

If the Heisman Trophy Trust takes back Reggie Bush's 2005 Heisman Trophy, Texas coach Mack Brown believes Vince Young should get it.

"If they take it away, I think Vince should be awarded the trophy," Brown said on Dan Patrick's syndicated radio show on Monday.

"I think you have to go back and really give that choice to the Heisman Trust. If they take it away, I think Vince should be awarded the trophy," Brown said on "The Dan Patrick Show" on Monday. "Vince was second in the voting, so even if they re-voted I would like to see Vince get it."

Blake
08-31-2010, 10:45 AM
I hear Young doesnt want it. I think its more important to the school than Young at this point.

But even if Bush was getting money on the side, he still had a hell of a year on the field.

The1ApplePie
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Give it to Vince...

After they investigate him like Reggie

I wonder how much booster money he was getting every day that last year at Texas?

Who was in third place that year?

Dutchrudder
08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Give it to Vince...

I wonder how much booster money he was getting every day that last year at Texas?

Bush was first
Young was Second
Matt Leinart was third
Brady Quinn was fourth
Deangelo Williams was fifth

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/heisman/index.htm

StarStruck
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I did then and and still think it should be awarded to Vince Young. If he doesn't want it, then I'll take it, but he is still the one who earned it IMO.

Tailgate
08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
If the Heisman voting ended after the bowl games like it should.... then VY would have won it in the first place.

Second Honeymoon
08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Give it to Vince...

Vince never did anything illegal. Take your Haterade elsewhere.

Longhorns won the National Championship. No amount of hate can change that. Vince was awesome at Texas. The Longhorns have the best athletic program in the nation and are an undisputed football power.

Deal with it and take your Haterade elsewhere. Let me guess? Cougar High fan?

Dutchrudder
08-31-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree Vince Young and UT deserve the award, provided the Heisman Committee has let the investigation of USC/Bush conclude. The biggest issue I had with the Cushing ordeal was the knee-jerk reaction to the news without getting all the facts. I hope they have the patience to wait until they hear the whole story, but it does seem like this is an open and shut case regarding Reggie Bush.

At the time, I was hoping Vince would win the Heisman. I saw him play at Kyle Field a few weeks before the winner was announced, and he was awesome despite having a 'down' game. His performances all year were incredible for a QB, and he really brought his A game every week that year. He went out to the Rose Bowl and proved that he was the truly the best player that year beating out both of the Heisman winners of USC.

IMO Bush was gifted the trophy by the media due to hype around him. I remember the 500 all-purpose yards against Fresno State and "The Bush Push" getting a lot of ESPN time towards the end of the season, because they just loved this guy. The 'Bush Push' coverage was just crazy though. The day of that game the highlights accredited Leinart punching it through on the goalline, but the next day someone coined the term 'Bush Push' and the media just ran with it giving all the attention to Reggie. It was just stupid.

El Tejano
08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
I believed Vince should get it then and now. I hear he doesn't want it though. If he doesn't accept it, I will then really dislike him more than I do now because to me he could really do even more for the school. A) He would show what kind of class players come from that school. B) He would help put the school back in the media which will help the school in the long run in terms of recruiting. C) Even if he doesn't want the award and accepts it, he will be honoring the school that recruited him and the fans that supported him. And that's coming from a Texan fan that walked away from him at Texas Land and Cattle Co. so that I could get Kasey Studdard's autograph.

If Vince were to accept the award, I would hope that he would have class even in is disapproval of receiving the award. I hope he doesn't say something to the affect of ' it belongs with me anyway' and be arrogant about it. I wouldn't even mind him voicing his displeasure if he could do it with class and say something to the affect of 'Even though I'm accepting an award that may have a proverbial asterisk mark, my play on the field while attending the University of Texas should and will justify my receiving this award. However, I don't receive this for me personally but I receive it to honor The University of Texas where we work to prove that integrity always wins in the end."

If he can do those two things. I think Vince's legendary status will remain.

The1ApplePie
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Vince never did anything illegal. Take your Haterade elsewhere.

Longhorns won the National Championship. No amount of hate can change that. Vince was awesome at Texas. The Longhorns have the best athletic program in the nation and are an undisputed football power.

Deal with it and take your Haterade elsewhere. Let me guess? Cougar High fan?

Sure he didn't

Maybe we should just disqualify every college player that takes booster money

IDEXAN
08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I think Bush should be stripped of the award, and then the Heisman award for 2005 should be vacated. And that's the reason I don't think the Heisman committee will take any action at all, because if they took my suggestion that might cause a bigger controversy by NOT awarding it to VY.

El Tejano
08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Bush should be stripped of the award, and then the Heisman award for 2005 should be vacated. And that's the reason I don't think the Heisman committee will take any action at all, because if they took my suggestion that might cause a bigger controversy by NOT awarding it to VY.

But I do like your idea. That would send a big message to everyone. EVERYONE. If we find out you cheated, you will suffer the consequences.

jaayteetx
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
I have no problem with that at all, but it would make the VY jock sniffers even worse to deal with.

Texecutioner
08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Give it to Vince...

Dude, just put a sock in it. You don't have jack to back up claims like this, and you're using an unsubstantiated theory out of thin air to try and villify VY of the same thing without anything to back it up with. This is just weak.

The1ApplePie
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Dude, just put a sock in it. You don't have jack to back up claims like this, and you're using an unsubstantiated theory out of thin air to try and villify VY of the same thing without anything to back it up with. This is just weak.

I'll bank on the elite college athlete getting paid under the table by boosters every time.

Especially at UT

bah007
08-31-2010, 01:56 PM
I'll bank on the elite college athlete getting paid under the table by boosters every time.

Especially at USC

Fixed that for you.

USC cheated and it's been proven. So Texas is guilty until proven innocent? I don't think so.

kastofsna
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
i think it's silly that personal awards can be taken away like this. i don't care if Bush was paid or not, fact is that he won the Heisman in a landslide, let him keep it

Blake
08-31-2010, 02:28 PM
i think it's silly that personal awards can be taken away like this. i don't care if Bush was paid or not, fact is that he won the Heisman in a landslide, let him keep it

It hasnt been taken away. And personally I dont think it will. If Reggie wants to give it up thats one thing, but the Heisman committee probably doesnt want to deal with a re-vote.

Texecutioner
08-31-2010, 02:31 PM

Especially at UT

Got anything to substantiate that with? Something that may suggest this to be true? An investigation? A smoking gun anywhere? Anything?

If not, then this seems like trolling a thread to take shots at UT.

The1ApplePie
08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Got anything to substantiate that with? Something that may suggest this to be true? An investigation? A smoking gun anywhere? Anything?

If not, then this seems like trolling a thread to take shots at UT.

Proof: Its a big time college program (Bama, UT, USC, etc are all guilty)

UT is the same university that has the police protecting all its players in Austin

Big players get paid

Texecutioner
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM

UT is the same university that has the police protecting all its players in Austin

Big players get paid

Really? Because I seem to remember Ramonce Taylor who was one of the biggest players on the Longhorns National Championship team getting busted for 5 pounds of marijuana in the off season and getting knocked off of the Texas team completely.

I seem to also remember Tarrell Brown who was one of the best CB's in the country catching a gun case a week before the Ohio State game and the team suspending him for that game where they lost to passing offense led by the Heisman winner in Troy Smith.

Texas sure as hell didn't protect PJ Tucker that well either when they suspended him from the Texas basketball team for his grades when he was one of the best players on their team and in the NCAA as well. That was a huge blow to the basketball team that year.

Sergio Kindle who was one of the best players in the country caught a DUI out there in Austin as well.

Hell, I could go on and on and name probably about 10 other guys, it's that easy. You seem to forget that Texas was being criticized all over the nation two years ago for all of it's players that were getting arrested.

Now I won't sit here and act naive and act like all big programs don't work their ways around some of the asinine NCAA rules at times, but if you're caught then you're caught and it's obvious. Just because of a few big time schools getting caught in the past and recently with USC, that doesn't all of a sudden mean that Texas is doing all of the same things as you'd like to believe just because you find it easy for you. Until Texas has some major allegations, or investigations, or anything of that sort, you're just beating a drum with nothing to substantiate it with.

IDEXAN
09-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Big players get paid
But there's one thing wrong with your theory which is this: your "big time USC" program would still be moving right along at top speed with its full complement of football scholarships if Bush had kept his nose clean.
The NCAA was in there investigating for years and the only football player they caught dirty was little Reggie. Apparently everybody else was clean,
including a lot of other very talented NFL-bound players who surely were
the recipients of some very enticing offers from agents just as Bush was. Yet they declined while Bush didn't and therefor he single-handedly brought down the whole USC program.

Texan_Bill
09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I have no problem with that at all, but it would make the VY jock sniffers even worse to deal with.

YUP!! Especially the likes of SecondHoneymoon! :gun:

BTW, I believe I heard, that if the Heisman is taken away from Bush (or any player), no one else wins it for that season in question....

So sad Vincent!!! :lol: and please, continue with your professional suckitude!!

LonerATO
09-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I believed Vince should get it then and now. I hear he doesn't want it though. If he doesn't accept it, I will then really dislike him more than I do now because to me he could really do even more for the school. A) He would show what kind of class players come from that school. B) He would help put the school back in the media which will help the school in the long run in terms of recruiting. C) Even if he doesn't want the award and accepts it, he will be honoring the school that recruited him and the fans that supported him. And that's coming from a Texan fan that walked away from him at Texas Land and Cattle Co. so that I could get Kasey Studdard's autograph.

If Vince were to accept the award, I would hope that he would have class even in is disapproval of receiving the award. I hope he doesn't say something to the affect of ' it belongs with me anyway' and be arrogant about it. I wouldn't even mind him voicing his displeasure if he could do it with class and say something to the affect of 'Even though I'm accepting an award that may have a proverbial asterisk mark, my play on the field while attending the University of Texas should and will justify my receiving this award. However, I don't receive this for me personally but I receive it to honor The University of Texas where we work to prove that integrity always wins in the end."

If he can do those two things. I think Vince's legendary status will remain.

Would someone else be reading this statement for him? I also don't think that taking money as a college player is cheating. The NCAA and the colleges use the players image and name to make millions and most of these kids will never make it to the pros.

StarStruck
09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Would someone else be reading this statement for him? I also don't think that taking money as a college player is cheating. The NCAA and the colleges use the players image and name to make millions and most of these kids will never make it to the pros.

If the NCAA says no and the player says yes and follows through, then it's cheating. I don't disagree that the rules should be changed, but until they are the player has to count the cost of the decisions of going against the rules.

Vince was in the running for the Heisman, and since now the decision has been made that Bush did not follow NCAA guidelines, IMO, it should be awarded to Vince. That has nothing to do with how much or little I like him, moreso about production and that championship that UT holds for the most part especially in the closing moments was the athleticism and unbelievable will to win that Vince demonstrated.

bah007
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM

BTW, I believe I heard, that if the Heisman is taken away from Bush (or any player), no one else wins it for that season in question....

You're right. This was said when the investigation into Bush first started.

TD
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Give it to OJ. I hear he needs a new one.

IDEXAN
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Report: Reggie Bush will be stripped of Heisman Trophy
The Heisman Trophy Trust reportedly will strip 2005 winner Reggie Bush of the award by the end of the month and name no winner for that season, according to a Yahoo report.

Bush would be the first athlete in the 75-year history of the award to be stripped of the honor.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_reggie_bush_will_be_str.html

TD
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Just curious, anyone know what happens when team victories are taken away? Are games simply stricken or is the other team declared the winner?

Whatever is done there is probably what should be done here.

JB
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Just curious, anyone know what happens when team victories are taken away? Are games simply stricken or is the other team declared the winner?

Whatever is done there is probably what should be done here.

iirc, the games are listed with the other team by forfeiture.

Marcus
09-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-bushheisman090710)

Two sources close to the Heisman trust said the body’s investigation is coming to a close, and will ultimately concur with the NCAA’s determination that Bush was ineligible during his Heisman-winning season in 2005. Because of that independent conclusion, sources said the trust will relieve Bush of the award and leave the honor for that season vacant.

El Tejano
09-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Report: Reggie Bush will be stripped of Heisman Trophy
The Heisman Trophy Trust reportedly will strip 2005 winner Reggie Bush of the award by the end of the month and name no winner for that season, according to a Yahoo report.

Bush would be the first athlete in the 75-year history of the award to be stripped of the honor.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_reggie_bush_will_be_str.html

That makes this very clear to everyone - Don't break the rules.

Dread-Head
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM
"Why do you want to major in engineering? You're gonna play in the NFL. Why don't you just major in Kineseology."

:Mack Brown

Yeah...ancient history. Giving it to Vince now would be like giving a dog a bone. Its futile. I knew guys who played with Vince who drove SUVs which their poor working class families could have NEVER afforded. UT and it's boosters are guilty of the SAME BS that USC and some of the other big programs KNOW they've done. Mack needs to drop to his knees and thank god for the questionable calls and NON CALLS that gave him that Rose Bowl and Shut tha VUGG up!

Dread-Head
09-07-2010, 01:40 PM

:headhurts: "Suckitude?" Is that even a word? See...see...THIS is why The Unreliables broke up.

Pollardized
09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Really? Because I seem to remember Ramonce Taylor who was one of the biggest players on the Longhorns National Championship team getting busted for 5 pounds of marijuana in the off season and getting knocked off of the Texas team completely.

Ramonce Taylor was busted just outside of Little River-Academy Texas, about 5 miles from where I lived at the time. He was involved in a fight of sorts while partying in a grove of pecan trees, had a window broken out, threatened to come back with a gun, called the police and met them at a convenience store, had his car searched, at which time 5 pounds of marijuana was found. This occurred in Bell County, and IIRC was investigated and charged through the Bell County Sheriff's Department, where I used to work. Because I worked with those guys who were Field Deputies at the scene, I know most of them are big sports fans who would have known who Taylor was. Taylor was a STAR RB at Belton High School, where I went, so everyone knew who he was. Bell County deputies did not give him a pass just because of who he was. On the other hand, I know law emforcement people in various Travis County departments who have said it is common practice to do everything possible to keep a TU player from being arrested. I've been told their players have been driven home when stopped for DWI, marijuana disposed of when found, tickets written when others would have been arrested, etc. I'm not saying they never get in trouble, because they do, but from what I was told every effort is made to protect TU players when possible.

I am an Aggie, so I always try to get what I can as far as dirt on TU, lol...

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I know law emforcement people in various Travis County departments who have said it is common practice to do everything possible to keep a TU player from being arrested. I've been told their players have been driven home when stopped for DWI, marijuana disposed of when found, tickets written when others would have been arrested, etc. I'm not saying they never get in trouble, because they do, but from what I was told every effort is made to protect TU players when possible.

I won't act like something like that probably hasn't happened plenty of times, but don't sit here and act like the opposite doesn't happen as well where UT players are "targeted" by law enforcement because of who they are as well. That's been talked about a lot with UT and just three years ago that was heavily documented and UT was getting their players arrested all over the place. Everyone is not a football fan or a UT fan around those parts and many people in law enforcement are always "itching" to arrest a big time college player like that as well. Being a big time player can be your crutch in many cases and in many others it can be the hammer that hits the nail for you.

I am an Aggie, so I always try to get what I can as far as dirt on TU, lol...

And this explains your exact purpose with this post and your existence in this thread.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
:headhurts: "Suckitude?" Is that even a word? See...see...THIS is why The Unreliables broke up.

Vugg it D, I had to get out on my own...

I'm not sure if suckitude is a word, but then again, I wasn't the lyricist for the Unreliables either.

Pollardized
09-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I won't act like something like that probably hasn't happened plenty of times, but don't sit here and act like the opposite doesn't happen as well where UT players are "targeted" by law enforcement because of who they are as well. That's been talked about a lot with UT and just three years ago that was heavily documented and UT was getting their players arrested all over the place. Everyone is not a football fan or a UT fan around those parts and many people in law enforcement are always "itching" to arrest a big time college player like that as well. Being a big time player can be your crutch in many cases and in many others it can be the hammer that hits the nail for you.

And this explains your exact purpose with this post and your existence in this thread.

Maybe if they stopped breaking the law and being hoodlums.. Just saying......

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Maybe if they stopped breaking the law and being hoodlums.. Just saying......

So now you're acknowledging the fact that UT players do get arrested a lot?

Now wasn't it you that just said that UT players constantly get coddled by the police and get out of arrests?

Make up your mind. It seems that you just came into this thread to bash Texas.

Dread-Head
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Vugg it D, I had to get out on my own...

I'm not sure if suckitude is a word, but then again, I wasn't the lyricist for the Unreliables either.

Oh...so it's like that? I'm also not the guy who insisted on putting a 7 minute guitar solo in everything! Man it was like playing with Ravi Shankar. But the Vugg wouldn't have been the same group without you. I can honestly say the Vugg broke up because of ACTUAL artistic differences...and that was just weird.

Pollardized
09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
So now you're acknowledging the fact that UT players do get arrested a lot?

Now wasn't it you that just said that UT players constantly get coddled by the police and get out of arrests?

Make up your mind. It seems that you just came into this thread to bash Texas.

of course I came on this thread just to bash TU!!!! :evil:

What I said was I have been told by different people inside the law enforcement community that TU players were given a free pass if possible. I never said always. I said the Bell county deputies, even knowing who he was, arrested him and effectively ended his career at TU. I didn't say they never get arrested; on contrary, I say they get arrested too much. It just seems to be the culture of their athletic program. Not saying all TU athletes are thugs, but they tend to attract a larger number of them then say, Texas A&M, where a Code of Honor is taught as a way of life. "An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do." Personally I would rather send my kids somewhere that strives for THAT, not a place where winning at all cost seems to be the code. To each his own.....

Blake
09-08-2010, 05:10 PM

What I said was I have been told by different people inside the law enforcement community that TU players were given a free pass if possible. I never said always. I said the Bell county deputies, even knowing who he was, arrested him and effectively ended his career at TU. I didn't say they never get arrested; on contrary, I say they get arrested too much. It just seems to be the culture of their athletic program. Not saying all TU athletes are thugs, but they tend to attract a larger number of them then say, Texas A&M, where a Code of Honor is taught as a way of life. "An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do." Personally I would rather send my kids somewhere that strives for THAT, not a place where winning at all cost seems to be the code. To each his own.....

Lol @ writing UT as TU. How cute. :slapfight:

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM

I love it when Texas A&M fans come over to try and bash Texas.

It's like your younger inferior brother trying to win an argument by getting into a fist fight knowing he's going to lose every time. :spit:

Are you honestly trying to act like Texas is some program that just picks up nothing but thugs, but in the same sentence you act like Aggie is the polar opposite and write ""An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do" and then even call it their "code of honor?" :user:

Just because the Aggies dress up in these wannabee military outfits and wear these buzz cuts from the 60's doesn't make them any more commendable than any other Texas School. First I've heard of someone trying to brag on being part of the ROTC. Lol!

The Aggies have had plenty of arrests from thug players as well. It seems to me that you're not even that knowledgable of your own team to be trying to throw stones at Texas in that glass house of yours.

It seems to me that you have the typical Napolean complex towards Texas that all Aggies have. The little brother mentality.

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Lol @ writing UT as TU. How cute. :slapfight:

Right! What's even sweeter is his description of what Aggie stands for. Lol!

The1ApplePie
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Never forget Bennett lowering the boom on Colt McCoy... 30 seconds after the play when he is walking back to the huddle.

I think Jevan Snead handed him a c-note after that

Ole Miss Texan
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Never forget Bennett lowering the boom on Colt McCoy... 30 seconds after the play when he is walking back to the huddle.

Yea because if he had thrown it to him it would have gotten intercepted.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was the 'disgruntled ole miss fan' thread.

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Yeah, that might make Snead feel better after he lost his job to Colt when he was the overwhelming favorite to win it. :kitten:

Double Barrel
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
It seems to me that you have the typical Napolean complex towards Texas that all Aggies have. The little brother mentality.

I don't have a dog in this hunt (UT vs. ATM), but I just attended my first football game at Kyle Field as an adult last weekend. Fun trip (what a home crowd!) and I have a lot of respect for the kindness of Aggies. I was wearing my son's school colors, and I never heard a disparaging or negative remark (perhaps the 48-7 blowout made everyone happy, but I digress..)

Anyway, I've never paid attention to the Aggie fight song, and I was kind of surprised when I heard the lyrics. It seemed - to me, at least - that Aggies have a bit of inferiority complex going with that fight song. I do not mean this to be disrespectful in any way, but I never knew that hatred for UT was such an integral part of the Aggie way-of-life. It certainly explains a lot of the animosity that I've seen the 43 years that I've lived in Texas.

For the record, I do not favor either school and I like folks (and have friends) from both UT and ATM. I do get a kick out of all the razzing y'all give each other, though. :slapfight:

As far as this story goes, what a joke Reggie Bush has turned out to be. yeah, he might have earned the trophy on the field, but he certainly does not represent what it's supposed to be about. I doubt he really cares, though, with those millions in the bank and that shiny new ring on his finger.

If VY really said he doesn't want it, I have to give him a bit of credit. I don't blame him for feeling this way several years after the fact. It kind of loses it's luster to be awarded something so prestigious years and years later. I think the Heisman people made the right call in the end.

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt (UT vs. ATM), but I just attended my first football game at Kyle Field as an adult last weekend. Fun trip (what a home crowd!) and I have a lot of respect for the kindness of Aggies. I was wearing my son's school colors, and I never heard a disparaging or negative remark (perhaps the 48-7 blowout made everyone happy, but I digress..)

Anyway, I've never paid attention to the Aggie fight song, and I was kind of surprised when I heard the lyrics. It seem - to me, at least - that Aggies have a bit of inferiority complex going with that fight song. I do not mean this disrespectful in any way, but I never knew that hatred for UT was such an integral part of the Aggie way-of-life. It certainly explains a lot of the animosity that I've seen the 43 years that I've lived in Texas.

For the record, I do not favor either school and I like folks (and have friends) from both UT and ATM. I do get a kick out of all the razzing y'all give each other, though. :slapfight:

It's totally an inferiority complex that has existed since way before I was ever born. You can totally see it in Pollardized's posts. Personally I've never hated the Aggies and I root for them most of the time if they're not playing Texas or TT. I actually root for most Texas teams. I root for TCU some as well.

But when some little troll from A&M comes along trying to bash Texas and starts trying to shovel sniveling remarks about the school or the team in general, I always just get a good kick out of it honestly. Texas is so head and shoulders above what A&M will ever be, that their fans and Alumni can't help but to "live to hate" UT. It's a certain bitterness that just won't ever go away. But to Longhorns fans, it's a joke really. It's like watching your drunk neighbor who can't ever behave that can barely stand up wandering over into your yard and bitching and cursing at you because he wasn't invited to your house party where he holds a grudge against you and your other guests. Lol! You just get a kick out of him for a minute or so and then you kick him back over to his own lawn where he belongs.

MojoMan
09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Here are the lyrics to the Aggie Fight Song, with the portions that refer to the University of Texas bolded below:

"The Aggie War Hymn (http://www.fightsonglyrics.com/T/page_1/Texas_A_M_Aggies.html)"

Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!
All hail to dear old Texas A & M,
Rally around the Maroon and White,
Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies,
They are the boys who show the real old fight.
That good old Aggie spirit thrills us
And makes us yell and yell and yell;
So let's fight for dear old Texas A & M,
We're goin' beat you all to--
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem!
Rough! Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A & M!

Good-bye to Texas University
So long to the Orange and the White
Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys that show the real old fight
"The eyes of Texas are upon you..."
That is the song they sing so well
So good-bye to Texas University
We're going to beat you all to--
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A & M!

Saw Varsity's horns off!
Saw Varsity's horns off!
Saw Varsity's horns off!
SHORT! Ay!

Varsity's horns are sawed off!
SHORT! Ayyyyyy!

As you can see, it is only about half of the song that refers to the University of Texas.

There is also apparently a group dance that goes with this song as well.

The1ApplePie
09-08-2010, 06:47 PM
My mom was an Aggie fan
My Dad was a UT fan
and **** LSU

So I became a USC fan, even before Pistol Pete made them relevant again.

JB
09-08-2010, 06:50 PM
My mom was an Aggie fan
My Dad was a UT fan
and **** LSU

So I became a USC fan, even before Pistol Pete made them relevant again.

Really? Really?? Really???

There is only one Pistol Pete, and he had nothing to do with USC!

Double Barrel
09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Here are the lyrics to the Aggie Fight Song, with the portions that refer to the University of Texas bolded below:

As you can see, it is only about half of the song that refers to the University of Texas.

There is also apparently a group dance that goes with this song as well.

"Only half", 'eh? :shades:

I'm sure this is a song that has history to it, most likely well before my time. I like the tradition, but just found it surreal to be surrounded by tens of thousands of Aggies proclaiming their hatred toward UT. My buddy (a TT fan that hates UT) never knew this about ATM, as well.

Great 12th man atmosphere, though. I wish the Texans could muster up something like that, but of course, winning comes first with pro teams. The Kyle Field atmosphere reminded me of the Luv Ya Blue days at the Astrodome. Very energetic and fun to witness. I'd like to go to another game again. I can only imagine the craziness when they play UT.

Pollardized
09-08-2010, 06:59 PM
It's totally an inferiority complex that has existed since way before I was ever born. You can totally see it in Pollardized's posts. Personally I've never hated the Aggies and I root for them most of the time if they're not playing Texas or TT. I actually root for most Texas teams. I root for TCU some as well.

But when some little troll from A&M comes along trying to bash Texas and starts trying to shovel sniveling remarks about the school or the team in general, I always just get a good kick out of it honestly. Texas is so head and shoulders above what A&M will ever be, that their fans and Alumni can't help but to "live to hate" UT. It's a certain bitterness that just won't ever go away. But to Longhorns fans, it's a joke really. It's like watching your drunk neighbor who can't ever behave that can barely stand up wandering over into your yard and bitching and cursing at you because he wasn't invited to your house party where he holds a grudge against you and your other guests. Lol! You just get a kick out of him for a minute or so and then you kick him back over to his own lawn where he belongs.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tex you have truly captued the rivalry there! Here's the way it is for me: I did not attend A&M, but I am a fan of the school and the tradition. I hope my kids go there one day. When I lived in College Station while working in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison unit in Navasota, I hated Aggies. It was just too in-your-face all the time. Years later, while living in the small central Texas town of Holland, I found myself surrounded by all these longhorn fans who lived and breathed burnt orange. They would literally fight over the longhorns. Problem was most of them couldn't spell longhorn without looking at their shirt. It was worse than living in College Station. I became friends with, and coached baseball with, a guy who went to Tarleton State, part of the A&M system. He bled maroon. He turned me on to the traditions of A&M, and how it was so much more than a football game that matters. I became a fan and a follower. We named our baseball team "Aggies" and forced people who loved TU to wear maroon to support their kids team. Some parents refused to let their kids play because we were the only team in that age group, and they would not let their kids wear maroon. It was hilarious. just like coming on here and getting a rise out of longhorn fans. They have a good school, but I would prefer my kids go some place where pot smoking, cross dressing hippies were the exception, not the norm. It's just personal preference. No offense meant to you or any other longhorn. I just get a kick out of the crap talking.

FirstTexansFan
09-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I attended A&M, and have many tu friends, including one former starting QB of the Longhorns. I never get into arguments or debates with a one of them about our school loyaties. When football season comes around, I take their goading with a smile on my face, and I pay my debts for bets on a team that has no hope!

In my part of Texas, I find most asshats that are fans of the teasips usually didn't attend the school anyway, and are merely bandwagon mullets that jump from winner to winner.

You'll usually find they are also Cowboy fans when they are winning as well :)

As for any disparaging remarks about being an Aggie, I take it all in stride. You'll find most Ag's are quite cordial, have a good sense of humor, and lack that false sense of self importance many wannabe teasip fans seem to possess.

A winning football team doesn't make YOU a winner, you didn't play a single down, you were just a spectator :)

As for the posters in this thread, ya know I love ya, I read your stuff daily, and I value your NFL knowledge, as for your loyalties away from the Texans? I could care less, but lets not allow that to interfere with what we do have in common.

GO TEXANS!

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Bush should return the trophy, but his name should remain with an asterisk, and explanation IMO. He already reaped the benefits of the award, you can't take away those. However, historical record, with his name in infamy, should restore integrity and provide a proper, perpetual legacy for Bush as it pertains to his time in the NCAA.

He did not deserve or earn the award in the spirit of amateur athletics, but he has earned to have his name highlighted as a cheater.

JB
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Bush should return the trophy, but his name should remain with an asterisk, and explanation IMO. He already reaped the benefits of the award, you can't take away those. However, historical record, with his name in infamy, should restore integrity and provide a proper, perpetual legacy for Bush as it pertains to his time in the NCAA.

He did not deserve or earn the award in the spirit of amateur athletics, but he has earned to have his name highlighted as a cheater.

I like that idea!

Texecutioner
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tex you have truly captued the rivalry there! Here's the way it is for me: I did not attend A&M, but I am a fan of the school and the tradition. I hope my kids go there one day. When I lived in College Station while working in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison unit in Navasota, I hated Aggies. It was just too in-your-face all the time. Years later, while living in the small central Texas town of Holland, I found myself surrounded by all these longhorn fans who lived and breathed burnt orange. They would literally fight over the longhorns. Problem was most of them couldn't spell longhorn without looking at their shirt. It was worse than living in College Station. I became friends with, and coached baseball with, a guy who went to Tarleton State, part of the A&M system. He bled maroon. He turned me on to the traditions of A&M, and how it was so much more than a football game that matters. I became a fan and a follower. We named our baseball team "Aggies" and forced people who loved TU to wear maroon to support their kids team. Some parents refused to let their kids play because we were the only team in that age group, and they would not let their kids wear maroon. It was hilarious. just like coming on here and getting a rise out of longhorn fans. They have a good school, but I would prefer my kids go some place where pot smoking, cross dressing hippies were the exception, not the norm. It's just personal preference. No offense meant to you or any other longhorn. I just get a kick out of the crap talking.

Like I said before, I've never had a complex against Aggies and I root for them when they're not playing against Texas or TT. I like all three teams honestly, because they're Texas. I've never understood the hate that certain UT and Aggie fans have against one another especially now when A&M isn't even really competing with them. Aggie is competing more with Baylor at this point as far as football goes. They're both Texas schools so I support them and I wish that A&M would eventually get back on track to being a power house one day. That would be really neat.

As far as what you did to those parents man, that was kind of messed up but very funny though. Lol! I could see certain parents making a big deal out of that. I wouldn't care personally because I wouldn't associate it with the Aggies.

Pollardized
09-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Now this is funny I don't care who you are:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7072399/

Go horns! lmao :hurrah:

Ole Miss Texan
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Holy crap that's hilarious.

Dan B.
09-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Yea because if he had thrown it to him it would have gotten intercepted.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was the 'disgruntled ole miss fan' thread.

What do Ole Miss fans have to be upset about? You got Misoli, you just started off your season with an easy pummeling of a I-AA team... Oh wait. Yeah, go ahead and be disgruntled.

Texecutioner
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM

That had a few funny lines in it. I like some of those videos I've seen people make with those.

And what's with this ridiculous notion that you have to have attended a school to root for them? So now only students or ex students can root for a college team? That is the dumbest thing I hear certain fans try to throw out there. That's no different than saying that myself, Gary, or Double Barrell are band wagoners for rooting for the Houston Texans since we never played for them at one point. That's always been a very weak concept to me. Oh, you didn't go to school there so how can you root for them? It's the state of Texas and it's a football team playing in a league. Everyone doesn't even go to college. That doesn't mean that you can't be a die hard fan of a college program that represents your home state.

Pollardized
09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I didn't go to A&M but I am still a big fan. I don't buy into having had to attend the college, but the people who go around calling them "MY LONGHORNS" or "MY AGGIES", wearing nothing but their clothes, dressing their kids in their colors all the time, that gets a little over board if you aren't an alum. Seems to me the biggest longhorn talkers didn't go there, but maybe drove through austin once or twice. I could almost stop disliking tu, but then I see vince young and start hating them again.

TD
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
^^^^^^^^^

And the difference between them and any pro-sports fan is??

Double Barrel
09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
That had a few funny lines in it. I like some of those videos I've seen people make with those.

And what's with this ridiculous notion that you have to have attended a school to root for them? So now only students or ex students can root for a college team? That is the dumbest thing I hear certain fans try to throw out there. That's no different than saying that myself, Gary, or Double Barrell are band wagoners for rooting for the Houston Texans since we never played for them at one point. That's always been a very weak concept to me. Oh, you didn't go to school there so how can you root for them? It's the state of Texas and it's a football team playing in a league. Everyone doesn't even go to college. That doesn't mean that you can't be a die hard fan of a college program that represents your home state.

Well, it's sort of like living in Houston your whole life but rooting for the Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees. :zipit:

I think the problem is the arrogance that some bandwagon fans display about their chosen teams to root for. And yes, it is a bandwagon to root for a school you never attended or a sports team in a city that you've never visited, much less lived in.

That being said, I don't have a problem with any of it. Root for who you want to root for, but I wish folks would tone down the "we" bit. No, not "we", you didn't play the game. You watched the game. :winky:

I think the modern sports fan (including myself) is channeling the tribal (i.e. nationalism) instinct that humans have possessed as a survival skill from the beginning of our species, but I'm not a sociologist, I just play one on the internets. :thinking:

Blake
09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I didn't go to College Stations Agricultural and Mechanical School of Texas, but I am still a big fan.

Fixed that for ya. Wouldnt want you accidentally claiming Texas like UT tries to do. Those bastards.

Texecutioner
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, it's sort of like living in Houston your whole life but rooting for the Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees. :zipit:

I think the problem is the arrogance that some bandwagon fans display about their chosen teams to root for. And yes, it is a bandwagon to root for a school you never attended or a sports team in a city that you've never visited, much less lived in.

No, I think this is ridiculous. You root for whomever you want to root for and you don't have to belong to that city either. I find that notion to be just as ridiculous. Hell, half the fans on this site are a bunch of band wagoners by that notion. GP is not from Houston and is an Amarillo resident and has followed Houston teams for most of his life and is a dedicated Texan fan. That does not make him a band wagoner. A band wagoner is someone who jumps from team to team and roots for whomever is the best team or waits to see who is the best team and jumps behind a winner. And another thing is that Texas does not belong to Austin. It's not Austin University. It's Texas University and it has to have a city that it resides in which just happens to be Austin. Some dipstick from Austin doesn't have any more of a right to root for Texas than a guy from Lufkin does. That same principal would go towards a guy who happens to live in College station as well. That's not "their team." It's Texas A&M. It's not Bryan A&M. They are state schools and hell a lot of people become fans of certain schools or teams from the moment they know what football is because of what their parents make them root for just like in my case which was all Houston teams and the Longhorns because half my family did go there.

Texan_Bill
09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
What do Ole Miss fans have to be upset about? You got Misoli, you just started off your season with an easy pummeling of a I-AA team... Oh wait. Yeah, go ahead and be disgruntled.

Ole Miss has plenty to be upset about:

They lost v. Jacksonville State

Double Barrel
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
No, I think this is ridiculous. You root for whomever you want to root for and you don't have to belong to that city either. I find that notion to be just as ridiculous. Hell, half the fans on this site are a bunch of band wagoners by that notion. GP is not from Houston and is an Amarillo resident and has followed Houston teams for most of his life and is a dedicated Texan fan. That does not make him a band wagoner. A band wagoner is someone who jumps from team to team and roots for whomever is the best team or waits to see who is the best team and jumps behind a winner. And another thing is that Texas does not belong to Austin. It's not Austin University. It's Texas University and it has to have a city that it resides in which just happens to be Austin. Some dipstick from Austin doesn't have any more of a right to root for Texas than a guy from Lufkin does. That same principal would go towards a guy who happens to live in College station as well. That's not "their team." It's Texas A&M. It's not Bryan A&M. They are state schools and hell a lot of people become fans of certain schools or teams from the moment they know what football is because of what their parents make them root for just like in my case which was all Houston teams and the Longhorns because half my family did go there.

wow, touched a nerve. Well, "ridiculous" is a matter of perception, I suppose. Bandwagon can be many things to different folks, but the common definition is rooting for a successful team because they are a successful team. Yeah, people jump on and off and back on the bandwagon, but why is that? Success. You don't find many Texas Tech fans among people who didn't go to that school. But hey, they have TEXAS in their name, right? So they obviously represent the entire freakin' state. yeeeah. :ok:

I find lifelong Houstonians rooting for the Cowboys to be a bit ridiculous. But, if that's your nature, whatever floats your boat, man.

And this is a different scenario than GP from Amarillo, simply because they do not have a pro football team. Whoah, simple concept there.

I do not see anyone as superior or inferior because of a sports team affiliation. It's all just diversionary entertainment at the end of the day. Nothing more and nothing less.

MojoMan
09-10-2010, 05:00 PM
And another thing is that Texas does not belong to Austin. It's not Austin University. It's Texas University and it has to have a city that it resides in which just happens to be Austin.

I do not want to quibble, but the actual name of the school is:

The University of Texas

That may look a bit odd to the uninitiated, but a true, devout, maroon-blooded Aggie will understand what I am getting at here.

:stirpot:

The1ApplePie
09-10-2010, 05:03 PM
wow, touched a nerve. Well, "ridiculous" is a matter of perception, I suppose. Bandwagon can be many things to different folks, but the common definition is rooting for a successful team because they are a successful team. Yeah, people jump on and off and back on the bandwagon, but why is that? Success. You don't find many Texas Tech fans among people who didn't go to that school. But hey, they have TEXAS in their name, right? So they obviously represent the entire freakin' state. yeeeah. :ok:

I find lifelong Houstonians rooting for the Cowboys to be a bit ridiculous. But, if that's your nature, whatever floats your boat, man.
And this is a different scenario than GP from Amarillo, simply because they do not have a pro football team. Whoah, simple concept there.

I do not see anyone as superior or inferior because of a sports team affiliation. It's all just diversionary entertainment at the end of the day. Nothing more and nothing less.

I was raised sicne birth to be a Cowboys fan, as my parents were.

Seriously, was I going to cheer for the Oilers as a kid? Hurray for Ray Childress and... who?

I've been a Boys fan all my life, even though the reign of Dave Campo.

I am a Texans fan as well. Have an NFC team and an AFC team.

Texecutioner
09-10-2010, 05:13 PM

College sports is completely different than pro sports. People root for college teams for all sorts of reasons. And for the record I do root for TT as my 2nd team in the BIG 12 and when A&M is playing other schools outside of Texas or TT I'll normally root for them as well. I also was a Cowboys fan as my 2nd NFL team way back in the day when Landry was around. Once Jerry bought the team, my entire family refused to root for them with Jerry as an owner. That's keeping your strongest loyalties to Texas teams. But for college sports my entire family bleeds Orange. They always have and we always will whether they're in Austin or anywhere else.

I don't either. They are just teams that you follow and support.

Dan B.
09-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Bandwagon/T-Shirt fans are a necessary evil. Would any UH fan really be that upset if a bunch of bandwagoners hopped on and they sold out every game and turned game days into events at sports bars around town? Even if the people cheering for them weren't UH grads?

Double Barrel
09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I was raised sicne birth to be a Cowboys fan, as my parents were.

Seriously, was I going to cheer for the Oilers as a kid? Hurray for Ray Childress and... who?

I've been a Boys fan all my life, even though the reign of Dave Campo.

I am a Texans fan as well. Have an NFC team and an AFC team.

Well, then you come from a long line of bandwagon fans. Congrats. ;)

BTW, I'm only kidding. I used to tell this to one of my best friends all the time...before he switched teams from the Cowboys to the Texans.

Ask yourself if the roles of the Cowboys and Oilers were reversed, would you not have rooted for the Oilers? Again, it's all about scoreboard at the end of the day.

College sports is completely different than pro sports.

Really? It's all sports. People like to root for winners, especially teams that win consistently and have championship pedigrees.

People don't root for UT because they have a great engineering or business programs. They root because they are winners in football.

I see absolutely no reason to start rooting for the Longhorns at 43 years old. I don't fault anyone that does choose it, but I do not feel compelled to do so. Yeah, I'll "root" for them when they play USC in a championship game, but really, what is rooting? I don't buy any of their gear and do not feel any affiliation just because they have Texas in the name.

Bandwagon/T-Shirt fans are a necessary evil. Would any UH fan really be that upset if a bunch of bandwagoners hopped on and they sold out every game and turned game days into events at sports bars around town? Even if the people cheering for them weren't UH grads?

I honestly don't care (re: being upset or not), but UH would have to be a consistently successful program for that to ever happen. Success is the primary reason why anyone would jump on a bandwagon.

Texecutioner
09-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I see absolutely no reason to start rooting for the Longhorns at 43 years old. I don't fault anyone that does choose it, but I do not feel compelled to do so. Yeah, I'll "root" for them when they play USC in a championship game, but really, what is rooting? I don't buy any of their gear and do not feel any affiliation just because they have Texas in the name.

A lot of people root for Texas because it's Texas. I understand that you could care less about that from what you just wrote, but many people do care about that. It's the same reason why tons of people root for Michigan who live somewhere in Michigan or why someone would root for Iowa that lives there. That's there home state and naturally most fans are going to root for the biggest school there that gets covered more often especially if they're new to the sport. My grandfather was a big time Texas Alum and took us to the Texas versus Texas A&M games every year as a kid around Thanksgiving until he had a stroke. I loved going to those games as a kid and feeling the different type of intensity than the games in the NFL even though nothing was better to me a child than The House Of Pain in the dome in the Luv Ya Blue days when Mike Rozier was running over guys and Drew Hill was tearing it up.

And you seem to forget that Texas wasn't just some powerhouse for a long time and had many down years especially during the Mackovich and Mcwilliams era. Texas was very inconsistent and was hardly a powerhouse. Mack Brown turned the program around completely and built it into what it is today, so it's not like Texas has just been this easy team to jump on a bandwagon of for the longest time. I remember rooting for some awful Longhorns teams that drove you nuts.

TD
09-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Root for who you want to root for, but I wish folks would tone down the "we" bit. No, not "we", you didn't play the game. You watched the game. :winky:

I quit using "we" on November 16, 1995. Since then I have come to find it silly as well.

Dread-Head
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
:soapbox: Ahem. Dreadford Headdington III aka Dread-Head here. Recently I received Negative Rep on this thread because I pointed out that Mack Brown convinced a friend of mine's brother (who played for him) to change his major from Engineering to Broadcast Journalism because he was "definitely" going to the NFL. I stand by what I said...and I don't GIVE A DUCK! :chicken: Quack... Yes...I KNOW that's a chicken.

kastofsna
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
That being said, I don't have a problem with any of it. Root for who you want to root for, but I wish folks would tone down the "we" bit. No, not "we", you didn't play the game. You watched the game. :winky:

it's just easier to say it this way.

TheDrifter
09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
And another thing is that Texas does not belong to Austin. It's not Austin University. It's Texas University and it has to have a city that it resides in which just happens to be Austin.

I do not want to quibble, but the actual name of the school is:

The University of Texas

That may look a bit odd to the uninitiated, but a true, devout, maroon-blooded Aggie will understand what I am getting at here.

:stirpot:

Uhhh...

Its actually University of Texas at Austin.

I didnt even go there and I know that.

Of course, most the UT fans didnt go there either, so who could fault them for not knowing the name of the school...

Goldensilence
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Uhhh...

Of course, most the UT fans didnt go there either, so who could fault them for not knowing the name of the school...

Yep. I'm attending the University of Texas at El Paso. I always get funny looks when I refer to the UT as UTA. My wife got her undergrad there and I really wanted to go as well, didn't get to as when I met her she was living in Dallas. It was either try to get into UT or possibly UTSA or move to Dallas to be closer. I chose closer.

Far as Aggie fans go chirping about their clean program, one name: Jackie Sherrill. Look it up.

TD
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Uhhh...

Uhhh...Actually it is The University of Texas at Austin. (http://www.utexas.edu/)

You may want to put that smug back in your pocket. ;)

Dan B.
09-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Yep. I'm attending the University of Texas at El Paso. I always get funny looks when I refer to the UT as UTA. My wife got her undergrad there and I really wanted to go as well, didn't get to as when I met her she was living in Dallas. It was either try to get into UT or possibly UTSA or move to Dallas to be closer. I chose closer.

Far as Aggie fans go chirping about their clean program, one name: Jackie Sherrill. Look it up.

There's already a UTA. In Arlington. That's probably part of the reason they look confused.

Goldensilence
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
There's already a UTA. In Arlington. That's probably part of the reason they look confused.

Forgot about UT-Arlington.

Dan B.
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Forgot about UT-Arlington.

Everybody does. It's ok.

ziggy29
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
And you seem to forget that Texas wasn't just some powerhouse for a long time and had many down years especially during the Mackovich and Mcwilliams era. Texas was very inconsistent and was hardly a powerhouse. Mack Brown turned the program around completely and built it into what it is today, so it's not like Texas has just been this easy team to jump on a bandwagon of for the longest time. I remember rooting for some awful Longhorns teams that drove you nuts.

Plus, college football's lopsided economic structure is even more screwed up and extreme than Major League Baseball's, with the increased emphasis on conference affiliation, TV revenues and the courts taking the TV rights away from the NCAA and to the teams and/or conferences. I believe we are in an era now where the current large and elite programs will *always* be that way because of economic and TV exposure advantages, much like the Yankees always dominate. And I don't think that's good for the sport. In some ways this "amateur" sport looks more blatantly capitalist than the NFL.

J_R
09-13-2010, 12:44 PM
After being previously reported that Vince Young didnt want the Heisman if Reggie was stripped of it, now he wants it (http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2010/09/13/young-on-heisman-i-definitely-want-it/).

On Monday morning, during an interview with Hannah Storm on ESPN's Sports Center, Young said he wouldn't turn it down if the former Southern Cal running back lost the Heisman.

"I definitely want it, I definitely want it,'' said Young, who was runner-up for the Heisman that year, when he guided Texas to the national championship. "But he won it fair and square definitely, and it's much respect to Reggie, man. He had a great career and he's already won a Super Bowl before me. I'm already mad about that.

"But at the same time I am definitely happy for him, man, and he is definitely the Heisman Trophy winner for that year. But if they send it over to me I am not going to say no to it.''

J_R
09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Reggie Bush has forfeited his Heisman trophy

Double Barrel
09-14-2010, 07:13 PM

As of the end of the 2009 season, the Longhorns' all-time record is 845-318-33 (.720). Only the University of Michigan has won more games and a greater percentage of games played than Texas... Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorns)

Every team has lean years, but overall, it is painfully clear that UT has been a winning football school for many, many years.

I don't fault anyone for picking them to root for. I did as a kid because #34 went there, and he was a superhero to me. I just lost interest in college ball as I got older so it's no big deal.

I quit using "we" on November 16, 1995. Since then I have come to find it silly as well.

It's a Seinfeld thing, I suppose.

it's just easier to say it this way.

Yeah, I know, but I like poking it with a stick sometimes.