PDA

View Full Version : Potential media excuses Texans beats Colts week 1

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
You know, I was thinking the other day about the week 1 matchup against the Colts and how awesome it would be to win that game.

That train of throught then brought me to ESPN (as I was watching it at lunch at the time while thinking of this) and how they would spin the game.

I can alomst guarantee the headline will be how the Colts lost as opposed to how the Texans won the game. I know that a lot of other Houston fans notice the diss our city always gets.....even when we win Championships ala SI saying eff you to the Rockets championships and not putting them on the cover nationally. Also, I know other people have had to notice that when ESPN shows almost any kind of football highlights, even just background highlights of some team while the focus is actually the people on set talking, it always seems to be a clip of the Texans getting burned.

Hell, I even saw some commercial for football Red Zone or something the yesterday it was showing different fans on couches cheering and stuff, I swear they had to have run through every team jersy that fans were wearing accept guess who......that's right (maybe the browns too). Ridiculous, and I'm not even trying to notice this stuff, but I do.

So anyway, I couldn't quite come up with what the media will use that will actually sound valid, especially if the Texans just dominate. Then it occured to me!

Headline: Super Bowl hangover causes Colts to lose opener.

So the dreaded Super Bowl loser curse will explain away this game and probably others for them this year too.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see what other headlines you guys think ESPN could use to again write the Texans off....this could be interesting....

:kitten:

El Tejano
08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I would also add that the league rule change of waiting for the refs to give a signal to hike has thrown Peyton off his rythm.

Section516
08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
You know, I was thinking the other day about the week 1 matchup against the Colts and how awesome it would be to win that game.

That train of throught then brought me to ESPN (as I was watching it at lunch at the time while thinking of this) and how they would spin the game.

I can alomst guarantee the headline will be how the Colts lost as opposed to how the Texans won the game. I know that a lot of other Houston fans notice the diss our city always gets.....even when we win Championships ala SI saying eff you to the Rockets championships and not putting them on the cover nationally. Also, I know other people have had to notice that when ESPN shows almost any kind of football highlights, even just background highlights of some team while the focus is actually the people on set talking, it always seems to be a clip of the Texans getting burned.

Hell, I even saw some commercial for football Red Zone or something the yesterday it was showing different fans on couches cheering and stuff, I swear they had to have run through every team jersy that fans were wearing accept guess who......that's right (maybe the browns too). Ridiculous, and I'm not even trying to notice this stuff, but I do.

So anyway, I couldn't quite come up with what the media will use that will actually sound valid, especially if the Texans just dominate. Then it occured to me!

Headline: Super Bowl hangover causes Colts to lose opener.

So the dreaded Super Bowl loser curse will explain away this game and probably others for them this year too.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see what other headlines you guys think ESPN could use to again write the Texans off....this could be interesting....

:kitten:

Theres actually someone wearing the #90 in that reel =P

DexmanC
08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
This season, I don't think media excuses really matter. The true question
is:

Will the Texans bring consistent effort EVERY game?

or

Will we continue to see the "Fired-Up-One-Game / Sleepwalking-The-Next"
team we're used to.

If they do the former, they have a shot at the playoffs, or even the
AFC Championship Game.

If they do the latter, with this schedule, Kubiak is gone.

I'm watching the first four games closely. Those games will show us
which Texans team we get in 2010.

jaayteetx
08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Ya, did ya see the foxsports story on the ass whooping the Texans gave the cowpies? Nothing bout the Texans, just how poorly the cowpies played and how their starters may have to play the last preseason. BS.

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
I haven't had a chance to listen to Houston radio today online, and I know I won't get anything on the local Austin radio aside from Longhorn gargling and and Dallas apologizers, and I haven't caught too much ESPN yet today.....I'm guessing when talking about Saturdays game it's "What's wrong with Cowboys?" as opposed to "Will this play carry over for the Texans to break through?"

Just a wild, wild guess it's more apologizing for Dall-ass than praising Houston.:cow:

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Ya, did ya see the foxsports story on the ass whooping the Texans gave the cowpies? Nothing bout the Texans, just how poorly the cowpies played and how their starters may have to play the last preseason. BS.

Didn't see that article or your post until I just posted my post...but that is what I thought....lmao!!!

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
This season, I don't think media excuses really matter. The true question
is:

Will the Texans bring consistent effort EVERY game?

or

Will we continue to see the "Fired-Up-One-Game / Sleepwalking-The-Next"
team we're used to.

If they do the former, they have a shot at the playoffs, or even the
AFC Championship Game.

If they do the latter, with this schedule, Kubiak is gone.

I'm watching the first four games closely. Those games will show us
which Texans team we get in 2010.

Agreed!

eriadoc
08-30-2010, 10:52 AM
The Colts didn't gameplan for the Texans.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:55 AM
When we beat the Colts Sept 12th, I think the media is going to say, "about time!!"

We aren't the only ones waiting for the Texans to turn the corner, everyone knows we've had talent to be winners the last 2 years, and are disappointed it hasn't happened yet.

I think the big stories this year, will be abou the Texans growing up, and finally reaching the level Capers should have got us to.

It's probably going to make most of you sick, but the word is going to be we are finally not an expansion team anymore.

beerlover
08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
How about: Peyton struggles with new line of scrimmage rules :lol:

drs23
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM

This I think. CND posted this in another thread. I found it interesting. : http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/peyton-manning

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
So, I go home and eat lunch and watch ESPN and they do something I hadn't seen before called the "Rush" or something with Antonio Pierce and some ESPN female anchor. They start off with best performances from the weekend, Saints are on there, Spiller from BUF is on there and Favre, then they bring up the Texans (which I was shocked they even put us on there knowing them), but they quickly made up for having to be forced to play positive Texans highlights as the first words out of the female anchors mouth are something to the effect of how bad Dallas played and how they are banged up. They then make some basic remarks on the Texans play and ended the highlight, again, with a backhanded comment explaining why the Texans looked good was due to the Cowboys looking bad.

They then did a little segment called "Ready or Not" analyizing teams and whether or not they are ready for the season, they brought up the Cowboys and made sure to once again apologize for them and their loss to the Texans.

Man, I am so hoping we can shove it way, way, way, way up their collective ***** this season!!!!!

:texflag::kitten:

Speedy
08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
As long as we get a W I don't give a crap how it's spun.

Ole Miss Texan
08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I would also add that the league rule change of waiting for the refs to give a signal to hike has thrown Peyton off his rythm.

Was going to say the exact same thing!:handshake:

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 12:17 PM

That is the most important thing obviously. But it still grates on me the spinning.

:fans:

Vinnie
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM

This

Vinnie
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I just saw this tweet from Eric Winston on Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:

"Every ump I have talked to this offseason hates the new rule where they have them. All of them felt the way fb players do. Injuries are part''

"Of the position they ref at. One also told me that the comp comm changed the rule without consulting one ump. (Although I'm sure Perrera''

"Had a say) loved what Tirico said. Put a helmet on them if they are concerned. Don't change the way the game is played. Altho if it pisses''

"Manning off, I could learn to deal with it. LOL''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/29/mmqb/3.html#ixzz0y78b1azR

:doot:

Rey
08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't want to think about potential Colts excuses because (1) I don't care what they would say (2) we need to actually beat them first (3) Texans have had their fair share of excuses over the past years.

Excuses are like holitosis'...Some people have it and it's beyond their control..But it still stinks.

El Tejano
08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I just saw this tweet from Eric Winston on Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:

"Every ump I have talked to this offseason hates the new rule where they have them. All of them felt the way fb players do. Injuries are part''

"Of the position they ref at. One also told me that the comp comm changed the rule without consulting one ump. (Although I'm sure Perrera''

"Had a say) loved what Tirico said. Put a helmet on them if they are concerned. Don't change the way the game is played. Altho if it pisses''

"Manning off, I could learn to deal with it. LOL''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/29/mmqb/3.html#ixzz0y78b1azR

:doot:

Gotta love Eric!

HOU-TEX
08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
"Manning's pre-game forehead polishing done incorrectly, causing loss to Texans"

Indy Skinnz
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM
So, I go home and eat lunch and watch ESPN and they do something I hadn't seen before called the "Rush" or something with Antonio Pierce and some ESPN female anchor. They start off with best performances from the weekend, Saints are on there, Spiller from BUF is on there and Favre, then they bring up the Texans (which I was shocked they even put us on there knowing them), but they quickly made up for having to be forced to play positive Texans highlights as the first words out of the female anchors mouth are something to the effect of how bad Dallas played and how they are banged up. They then make some basic remarks on the Texans play and ended the highlight, again, with a backhanded comment explaining why the Texans looked good was due to the Cowboys looking bad.

They then did a little segment called "Ready or Not" analyizing teams and whether or not they are ready for the season, they brought up the Cowboys and made sure to once again apologize for them and their loss to the Texans.

Man, I am so hoping we can shove it way, way, way, way up their collective ***** this season!!!!!

:texflag::kitten:

From an outsiders point of view, several points...

1) Fans of every NFL team think that somehow the media has it out for them. This is not a phenomenon that only Houston is afflicted with. Indy fans think that ESPN clearly favors the Pats.

2) Let's suppose that the media bias is true. What have the Texans ever done to warrant the exposure you seem to crave. I mean they were the up & coming team for the last 2 years and could only manage one winning season and a 9-7 one at that. If they win then the coverage will come.

3) So who really cares if the media doesn't like your team. This is not the NCAA where opinions actually matter. They can do something about the "oversight" on the field.

4) Lastly, again, who really cares about media opinions. Do you think the Colts feel as though they have a cake walk a week from Sunday? Certainly not. They know the Texans have some very good players and will represent a true challenge. The media may not believe the Texans are worthy, but I am guessin Houston's opponents do and that is really all that matters.

disaacks3
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM

1) Fans of every NFL team think that somehow the media has it out for them. This is not a phenomenon that only Houston is afflicted with. Indy fans think that ESPN clearly favors the Pats.

2) Let's suppose that the media bias is true. What have the Texans ever done to warrant the exposure you seem to crave. I mean they were the up & coming team for the last 2 years and could only manage one winning season and a 9-7 one at that. If they win then the coverage will come.

3) So who really cares if the media doesn't like your team. This is not the NCAA where opinions actually matter. They can do something about the "oversight" on the field.

4) Lastly, again, who really cares about media opinions. Do you think the Colts feel as though they have a cake walk a week from Sunday? Certainly not. They know the Texans have some very good players and will represent a true challenge. The media may not believe the Texans are worthy, but I am guessin Houston's opponents do and that is really all that matters.

You seem to miss the point here. It's not about media "dislike" as much as the Texans accomplishments are under-valued. It seems impossible for the Texans to actually BEAT someone, rather that the other team must somehow have erred spectacualrly.

Indy Skinnz
08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
You seem to miss the point here. It's not about media "dislike" as much as the Texans accomplishments are under-valued. It seems impossible for the Texans to actually BEAT someone, rather that the other team must somehow have erred spectacualrly.

I promise you I am not missing any points. The entire premise is rooted in the media overlooking or not giving enough credit to Houston. If they win and win consistently, that will come.

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I promise you I am not missing any points. The entire premise is rooted in the media overlooking or not giving enough credit to Houston. If they win and win consistently, that will come.

You may not know the full Houston history although I see your points. However, my point was as someone else mentioned, we can never seem to "beat" someone it is that someone always seems to "lose" to us, so it is always undervalued.

To the part I highlighted in bold, please tell that to the Houston Rockets, who won 2 back to back championships and never got the tradtional SI cover nationwide and always basically get mocked for winning 2 in a row because Jordan left. Nevermind we had HOF players like Dream, Glide, etc....

So winning still doesn't always correct the problem and that proves it.

Norg
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
i think the new ref rule is going to change come RS

Lets be honest we have been slow in the past but this will effect our O sometimes we like to play fast 2 u know

anywayz i was watching the GB colts game and man i think we need to bring it on the blitzes iam talking about blitzing every down 1st 2nd and 3rd and 4th

and we need to hit peyton in da mouf if we get pentlys so be it its gotten to the point we enough is enough with the colts if we got to be dirty so be it ........ sad to say but its gotten to that point imo

we got 2 do what the saints did 2 farve in the NFC game X10 IMO :l

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
anywayz i was watching the GB colts game and man i think we need to bring it on the blitzes iam talking about blitzing every down 1st 2nd and 3rd and 4th

Every time you blitz, it's a risk. There are a few QBs who do well against the blitz and if you blitz every time, the QBs always know it's coming and can figure out how to beat it.

With Frank Bush, we are blitzing more than we've blitzed in the past. And we're more creative with our blitzing so it's more successful.

We don't need to blitz every down, we just need to pick our spots to maximize effectiveness.

TheCD
08-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Also, I know other people have had to notice that when ESPN shows almost any kind of football highlights, even just background highlights of some team while the focus is actually the people on set talking, it always seems to be a clip of the Texans getting burned.

My friend and I have figured this out:

ESPN cannot stand Bull mascots, or anything of the sorts.

Those of you who are basketball fans can attest to the fact that any time there is a highligh consisting of a team dunking...said team is dunking on the Bulls.

ESPN's ultimate fantasy would be for the Texans and Bulls to end up scoring on themselves, that way they can even show them getting scored on in their own highlights.

Indy Skinnz
08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
You may not know the full Houston history although I see your points. However, my point was as someone else mentioned, we can never seem to "beat" someone it is that someone always seems to "lose" to us, so it is always undervalued.

To the part I highlighted in bold, please tell that to the Houston Rockets, who won 2 back to back championships and never got the tradtional SI cover nationwide and always basically get mocked for winning 2 in a row because Jordan left. Nevermind we had HOF players like Dream, Glide, etc....

So winning still doesn't always correct the problem and that proves it.

I don't care to know the full Houston history because it does not matter to the ultimate point. I assume you are a Rockets fan. Does not making the cover of SI detract from your enjoyment of the Rockets winning their 2 championships? I would hope not.

Besides that, your memory is a little off. In 1994, when Houston was winning their first NBA Championship of the decade a little thing happened that was more newsworthy. OJ killed two people. On top of that the Rangers won the NHL title, both of which warranted the SI covers in June of that year. However, in 1995, Hakeem was front and center in the June 19 edition.

Again, it gets back to respect and the perception that the Texans don't have it. Ultimately, to the people that matter, their competition, that could harly be the truth.

Norg
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Every time you blitz, it's a risk. There are a few QBs who do well against the blitz and if you blitz every time, the QBs always know it's coming and can figure out how to beat it.

With Frank Bush, we are blitzing more than we've blitzed in the past. And we're more creative with our blitzing so it's more successful.

We don't need to blitz every down, we just need to pick our spots to maximize effectiveness.

that would be the correct thing to say but we tried that last year and it didnt work

i dont condone this but i think some people inside are thinking we got to HIT manning .....Hard ..if u know what i mean :evil:

disaacks3
08-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't care to know the full Houston history because it does not matter to the ultimate point. I assume you are a Rockets fan. Does not making the cover of SI detract from your enjoyment of the Rockets winning their 2 championships? I would hope not.

Besides that, your memory is a little off. In 1994, when Houston was winning their first NBA Championship of the decade a little thing happened that was more newsworthy. OJ killed two people. On top of that the Rangers won the NHL title, both of which warranted the SI covers in June of that year. However, in 1995, Hakeem was front and center in the June 19 edition.

Again, it gets back to respect and the perception that the Texans don't have it. Ultimately, to the people that matter, their competition, that could harly be the truth. Evidently, you don't care AND you don't get the point. OJ (an EX-athlete) killing two people overides the then-current NBA champs on the cover of a SPORTS magazine? Are you tired of PROVING our point for us?

Indy Skinnz
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Evidently, you don't care AND you don't get the point. OJ (an EX-athlete) killing two people overides the then-current NBA champs on the cover of a SPORTS magazine? Are you tired of PROVING our point for us?

I don't care about the Houston sports history but I very much get the point. There is only one SI cover available every week and when OJ killed two people that was the bigger story. OJ was a pretty decent athlete - Heisman Trophy winner, NFL Hall of Famer and a broadcaster with NBC Sports. That story was more than qualified to be an SI cover story. In June of 2004, the Cowboys or Yankees or Bulls could have won their championship and OJ would have been the lead story. That was not a slap at Houston - it followed the "if it bleeds, it leads" theory of news reporting, even in a sport magazine like SI.

Back to the point, the other teams already respect the Texans. Beat the Colts, don't lose to the Jags, and the media will follow.

HTown2ATX
08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Evidently, you don't care AND you don't get the point. OJ (an EX-athlete) killing two people overides the then-current NBA champs on the cover of a SPORTS magazine? Are you tired of PROVING our point for us?

Seriously. Rep. :goodpost:

Also, @Indy,

An NHL team deserving to be over a 1st tier sport in the US.....no

An ex player who cacked some people deserves it more....no (however as my family is in journalism I can somewhat see what you are saying, but it a Sports mag and a CURRENT sports team at the time won a title...FAIL for SI and keeping us off SI)

:slapfight: :)

Indy Skinnz
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Seriously. Rep. :goodpost:

Also, @Indy,

An NHL team deserving to be over a 1st tier sport in the US.....no

An ex player who cacked some people deserves it more....no (however as my family is in journalism I can somewhat see what you are saying, but it a Sports mag and a CURRENT sports team at the time won a title...FAIL for SI and keeping us off SI)

:slapfight: :)

It appears we will have to agree to disagree.

To the original point, if Houston wins the games they are supposed to, beats the Colts, makes the playoffs, then the respect you think you are missing will come.

markn
08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Wait now, OJ killed someone?

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
It appears we will have to agree to disagree.

To the original point, if Houston wins the games they are supposed to, beats the Colts, makes the playoffs, then the respect you think you are missing will come.

Like you said, all fans think their team doesn't get the respect it deserves. That's fine. That's just being a fan.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't want to think about potential Colts excuses because (1) I don't care what they would say (2) we need to actually beat them first (3) Texans have had their fair share of excuses over the past years.

Excuses are like holitosis'...Some people have it and it's beyond their control..But it still stinks.

If you took your HATER glasses off, you'd realize no one is talking about the Colts making excuses. It's about what the media will attribute the loss to, more than what they'll attribute the win to.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 04:20 PM

They do.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 04:22 PM

And the NYJets are Super Bowl favorites... why??

stevn8r
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Sirius NFL radio did the same thing on Sunday...All they talked about was how bad the Cowboys played, not how well the Texans played...Pissed me off a little to hear that! I tried to call in but could not get through, but I will be sending an email to Jim Miller and Ross Tucker today.
Ill let y'all know what they say, if anything.

Grams
08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
That is just what the media did last year when we beat the Bengals. It was not how well we played but how the Bengals lost to the lowly Texans.

Untill we can have several winning seasons and make the playoffs on a regular basis, this will continue.

Hervoyel
08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
There are so many possible pitfalls waiting on the Texans this year that I think it's a waste of time to worry about how the media will spin our possible victories much less what they will say about any failures along the way. Worrying about this is just more classic Houston fan insecurity and crybaby bullshit about how nobody respects us and nobody treats us fairly. Screw that nonsense.

If the Texans win their opener then who cares what anybody says? They play the game, we watch the game, and hopefully the Texans take care of business... finally. If they win and then turn around and suck in Washington then beating the Colts won't mean a thing. Not one thing. If we lose to the Cowboys then all this crap about how nobody loved us in the media when we beat them in preseason will just be more Houston fan crap I'm ashamed of. Maybe that's harsh but we're whiners and I don't blame the rest of the country for ignoring us or writing about our opponents. Until we quit crying every time somebody doesn't put our name in an article as much as the other team they're right to do so. Until our teams actually produce they've got nothing to write about. Wins come before respect and attention. Why is that so hard to get through so many peoples heads in this town?

At the bye week we should be no worse than 4-2 or we aren't good enough to get excited about. I'm reasonably sure the Texans themselves understand this. I don't know if the fan base will ever get it however.

Sorry, that's just how I feel about this subject.

Hervoyel
08-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Because they're in New York City and teams in New York City will always get more attention than they deserve (positive and negative) because it's the media capital of the known universe.

JB
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
There are so many possible pitfalls waiting on the Texans this year that I think it's a waste of time to worry about how the media will spin our possible victories much less what they will say about any failures along the way. Worrying about this is just more classic Houston fan insecurity and crybaby bullshit about how nobody respects us and nobody treats us fairly. Screw that nonsense.

If the Texans win their opener then who cares what anybody says? They play the game, we watch the game, and hopefully the Texans take care of business... finally. If they win and then turn around and suck in Washington then beating the Colts won't mean a thing. Not one thing. If we lose to the Cowboys then all this crap about how nobody loved us in the media when we beat them in preseason will just be more Houston fan crap I'm ashamed of. Maybe that's harsh but we're whiners and I don't blame the rest of the country for ignoring us or writing about our opponents. Until we quit crying every time somebody doesn't put our name in an article as much as the other team they're right to do so. Until our teams actually produce they've got nothing to write about. Wins come before respect and attention. Why is that so hard to get through so many peoples heads in this town?

At the bye week we should be no worse than 4-2 or we aren't good enough to get excited about. I'm reasonably sure the Texans themselves understand this. I don't know if the fan base will ever get it however.

Sorry, that's just how I feel about this subject.

Repped! This is very well said. To get respect, you have to earn respect!

Probably why I get none...

Indy Skinnz
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Because they have a team that appears to be pretty good?

JB
08-30-2010, 08:36 PM

With a QB whose rating is worse than Russell's ever was?

NitroGSXR
08-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Again, it gets back to respect and the perception that the Texans don't have it. Ultimately, to the people that matter, their competition, that could harly be the truth.
I have that framed and signed.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 09:44 PM

But you just said....

Which seems a bit contradictory. There has got to be something more than just winning consistently, the Jets have not won any more consistently than we have.

Unless you are saying you don't think our team is "pretty good"

Maddict5
08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
i dont really care what the media does IF we beat the colts. id rather them make excuses for the colts than crown our asses after 1 game.

like what BP says in the quote in my sig, you earn respect over a season not just 1 or a few games. hopefully thats the jump the texans make this yr

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 05:15 AM
With a QB whose rating is worse than Russell's ever was?

Did not say that I agreed with listing them as a Super Bowl contender but they did make it to the AFC Championship game with Sanchez.

Ultimately the point though is the same. Who cares if the Jets are and the Texans are not predicted to be a Super Bowl contender? What possible impact does that have on the season? Win and that perception and level of respect will increase.

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 05:22 AM
But you just said....

Which seems a bit contradictory. There has got to be something more than just winning consistently, the Jets have not won any more consistently than we have.

Unless you are saying you don't think our team is "pretty good"

Didn't the Jets make it to the AFC Championship game? I thought I saw them playing the Colts in January last year. And correct me if I am wrong but isn't that further than Houston got? I don't necessarily agree with it but is it that hard to see why they would be predicted for good things this year?

But what I don't understand and have consistently said throughout this entire thread is why do you care what the media thinks? Please tell me how that will impact the Colts game on Sept 12th? It doesn't. Win that game and then don't lose the games that you are expected to win and the rest of that stuff will take care of itself.

2slik4u
08-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Call me a cynic but am I the only one that thinks we may be putting the cart in front of the horse on this one? Lets at least wait until midway thru the fourth quarter if we have a 30 point lead. Even then, I still wouldnt start talking about what the media excuses would be.

To tell you guys the truth, the more excuses the better. We are getting a lot of hype this season but as you guys say, the media makes excuses on wins against great teams. I hope to fly under the radar as much as possible this season.......although I think that is near impossible when you have the best WR in the game and a QB that is 6th all time on the singles season passing record.

Just sayin, the more teams that dont take us seriously, the better.

thunderkyss
08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Didn't the Jets make it to the AFC Championship game? I thought I saw them playing the Colts in January last year. And correct me if I am wrong but isn't that further than Houston got? I don't necessarily agree with it but is it that hard to see why they would be predicted for good things this year?

But what I don't understand and have consistently said throughout this entire thread is why do you care what the media thinks? Please tell me how that will impact the Colts game on Sept 12th? It doesn't. Win that game and then don't lose the games that you are expected to win and the rest of that stuff will take care of itself.

I don't care what the media thinks. I'm just saying winning consistently isn't the key as you have put it. The Bengals won more consistently than the Jets. The Colts have won more consistently than the Jets. San Diego has won more consistently than the Jets, yet none of those teams are considered Super Bowl Favorites. There must be something else.

I would think a win against Ravens would have to be on the resume. The Bengals did it twice in 2009, the Colts did it in 2009, but the Jets didn't play them at all.

In fact, the NYJets do not have any quality wins on their 2009 schedule, unless you count the win against us, and you, and you laid down.

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't care what the media thinks. I'm just saying winning consistently isn't the key as you have put it. The Bengals won more consistently than the Jets. The Colts have won more consistently than the Jets. San Diego has won more consistently than the Jets, yet none of those teams are considered Super Bowl Favorites. There must be something else.

I would think a win against Ravens would have to be on the resume. The Bengals did it twice in 2009, the Colts did it in 2009, but the Jets didn't play them at all.

In fact, the NYJets do not have any quality wins on their 2009 schedule, unless you count the win against us, and you, and you laid down.

The Colts are not Super Bowl favorites? Where did you get that idea? They are most definitely one of the teams widely considered to have a legitimate shot of winning the whole thing. So are the Chargers and so are the Jets & the Ravens.

If the Jets had no quality wins, how did they get to the AFC Championship game? I know you are talking regular season but they did get to the playoffs and won two games there.

Look all I am saying with regards to the Jets is that I can see how they are supposed to be a good team this year. An outstanding defense with a tough scheme and really good personnel. Sanchez may not be close to an elite QB but he did look good when the games really mattered and they will run the ball better than most teams. It is just not that big of a stretch to see them playing in February.

And I still firmly think winning will cure a lot of the lack of respect ills that Houston seems to care about.

thunderkyss
08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
And I still firmly think winning will cure a lot of the lack of respect ills that Houston seems to care about.

So do I.

Maybe I just have no respect for the Jets.

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 12:18 PM
So do I.

Maybe I just have no respect for the Jets.

After week one last year, how could you not?

HJam72
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Technically, this team has never done better than 9-7 and not made the playoffs. I'll worry about the lack of coverage when we start winning playoff games.

I'm more concerned about why we are tied for toughest schedule in the NFL. Seems like our schedule is always tougher than it should be based on our previous year's win/loss record. I wonder if McNair has a say in that and likes it that way, because I don't. It may sell more tickets, but it doesn't help the team advance at all. I don't want a gimme schedule that has us embarrassing ourselves in playoff games we haven't really earned either, but....sheesh.

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Technically, this team has never done better than 9-7 and not made the playoffs. I'll worry about the lack of coverage when we start winning playoff games.

I'm more concerned about why we are tied for toughest schedule in the NFL. Seems like our schedule is always tougher than it should be based on our previous year's win/loss record. I wonder if McNair has a say in that and likes it that way, because I don't. It may sell more tickets, but it doesn't help the team advance at all. I don't want a gimme schedule that has us embarrassing ourselves in playoff games we haven't really earned either, but....sheesh.

Umm, the schedule is a formula that McNair has absolutely zero control over. Right now I could tell you 14 of the 16 games the Texans will play next year and where those games will be.

The reason your schedule is so tough this year is because you get the Colts twice.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
The reason your schedule is so tough this year is because you get the Colts twice.

And the NFC East teams had good records last year. That's the main thing. That's driving all of the SOS for the AFC South up. That and the fact that we had good records, too.

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
And the NFC East teams had good records last year. That's the main thing. That's driving all of the SOS for the AFC South up. That and the fact that we had good records, too.

True. All of that combines to give Houston (and Tennessee, I think) the hardest SOS in the league this year. But together with a token will get you on a bus because it really is meaningless for this season.

thunderkyss
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
After week one last year, how could you not?

If you didn't gift them that win, and the Bengals played to win, that would be a 7-9 team. I understand they showed they belong in the play-offs, by beating San Diego. But the point is, I'm still bitter.

thunderkyss
08-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Umm, the schedule is a formula that McNair has absolutely zero control over. Right now I could tell you 14 of the 16 games the Texans will play next year and where those games will be.

the reason our schedule is harder than the Colts, is because we play the Colts twice a year, and they don't.

We both play the NFC East, who did well in 2009. We also play the AFC West, Denver went 8-8, SD went 13-3.

Jags(x2), Titans (x2), Cowboys, Eagles, 'skins, NYGiants, Chargers, Broncos, Oakland, Chiefs are all on our schedule, and the Colts schedule.

We also play the #2 ranked teams in the AFC, NYJets, Ravens.

The Colts play the #1 ranked teams in the AFC Patriots, Bengals.

In reality, there schedule is just as hard as ours.

DexmanC
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
If you didn't gift them that win, and the Bengals played to win, that would be a 7-9 team. I understand they showed they belong in the play-offs, by beating San Diego. But the point is, I'm still bitter.

I'm not bitter about Indy Skinnz' position. All he's saying is this team
needs to stop shitting away games it's won, and put teams away.

No problem with that position from me. I watch all the magazine shows
during the year, and everytime certain members of the media (Sterling
Sharpe, Brian Baldinger, Jamie Dukes, Shannon Sharpe, Bill Cowher,
Tony Dungy, Warren Sapp) would talk up the Texans, this team would not only
lose the game. They would flat out EMBARRASS anybody who
DARED to talk them up to other people for the week.

As a Texans fan, I'm used to it. For many people around the country
trying to get on the bandwagon, it becomes a little much. When Baldinger
chuckled when Van der Homer asked him about the Texans' playoff chances,
you have to understand what Baldinger had gone through all season long.

Believe me. If the Texans come out of the gates handling business, the
media will EXPLODE with love for them. They are waiting with bated
breath for this team to grow the hell up.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Personally, I agree with Indy_Skinzz main point. We just need to win. We, as fans, just need to stop being all sensitive about possible slights to our honor.

We're a good team. We need to take the next step and the rest of the world be damned.

thunderkyss
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Believe me. If the Texans come out of the gates handling business, the
media will EXPLODE with love for them. They are waiting with bated
breath for this team to grow the hell up.

I believe exactly the same way, for the reasons you said. If you'd have been following the thread, you would know your post doesn't take away from my point, but add to it.

This is from page one of this thread
When we beat the Colts Sept 12th, I think the media is going to say, "about time!!"

We aren't the only ones waiting for the Texans to turn the corner, everyone knows we've had talent to be winners the last 2 years, and are disappointed it hasn't happened yet.

I think the big stories this year, will be abou the Texans growing up, and finally reaching the level Capers should have got us to.

It's probably going to make most of you sick, but the word is going to be we are finally not an expansion team anymore.

It's not that the NYJets won any more consistently than we have, as been mentioned before, our week 1 loss, the Patriots week 2 loss, it was more about the way they won, and with all the chuckles you've mentioned, the way we lost.

If this team wants respect, all they've got to do is stop shooting themselves in the foot.

& IndySkinz point, at least in this thread, is that it doesn't matter what Baldinger thinks as much as the what the Colts, Titans, & Jags think.

Arky
08-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Call me a cynic but am I the only one that thinks we may be putting the cart in front of the horse on this one? Lets at least wait until midway thru the fourth quarter if we have a 30 point lead. Even then, I still wouldnt start talking about what the media excuses would be.

Yep. This is the correct order:

1. Beat the Colts.

2. Unless #1 is complete, there's nothing to worry about.

:winky:

Indy Skinnz
08-31-2010, 02:12 PM

I appreciate anyone who holds a grudge over a loss.

Texan_Bill
08-31-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm not bitter about Indy Skinnz' position. All he's saying is this team
needs to stop shitting away games it's won, and put teams away.

No problem with that position from me. I watch all the magazine shows
during the year, and everytime certain members of the media (Sterling
Sharpe, Brian Baldinger, Jamie Dukes, Shannon Sharpe, Bill Cowher,
Tony Dungy, Warren Sapp) would talk up the Texans, this team would not only
lose the game. They would flat out EMBARRASS anybody who
DARED to talk them up to other people for the week.

Actually, Tony Dungy was in town recently helping out with Charlie Ward's fundraiser for Westbury Christian School. When interviewed he said he was very much on the Texans bandwagon and that the Texans started giving the Colts a problem a few years ago. He went on to say how much respect he had for the Texan organization and that he expects big things in the very near future.

DexmanC
08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Actually, Tony Dungy was in town recently helping out with Charlie Ward's fundraiser for Westbury Christian School. When interviewed he said he was very much on the Texans bandwagon and that the Texans started giving the Colts a problem a few years ago. He went on to say how much respect he had for the Texan organization and that he expects big things in the very near future.

Dungy has been talking up the Texans for the last two seasons, along
with the other guys I mentioned. Hopefully, this team doesn't keep
dumping eggs on their, or our, faces this season.

Texan_Bill
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Dungy has been talking up the Texans for the last two seasons, along
with the other guys I mentioned. Hopefully, this team doesn't keep
dumping eggs on their, or our, faces this season.

Yessir!! It's time.

Hopefully we don't see a repeat of opening day last year. The Texans had every reason to come out fired up and establish their season. What did we get? A flat-assed team that got punched in the mouth and had their man-hood taken from them by the Jets..

drs23
08-31-2010, 06:41 PM

Yessir!! It's time.

Hopefully we don't see a repeat of opening day last year. The Texans had every reason to come out fired up and establish their season. What did we get? A flat-assed team that got punched in the mouth and had their man-hood taken from them by the Jets..

I very much agree TB. GK needs to bring the whole team back to the film room to watch the Jets game just like he did the game in NO. Whatever he needs to do, he NEEDS to do it. Like TK's sig...It's Time!