PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Worried Quin Keeps on Chasing After Tail?

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Quin got nailed several times for chasing Dallas jerseys' tails. The reason I ask is that the knock on him going into the draft was that he did not have great vision or speed, and had trouble recovering and catching up to his receivers. Has anyone specifically watched him through camp and preseason to say that this game was a total fluke, or a hint of things to come with wiley receivers.

Mr teX
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM
anybody who saw Welker/Edelman working him in the last game of the season know..it ain't a fluke.. his speed is going to get him beat at times..hopefully we can counter with a pass rush. I've said all along i didn't think he was a starting cb in the league; just a very good nickel guy.

TimeKiller
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM
McCain is a really good CB and when they cover nickel Quin is the nickel back. Speed isn't a problem for McCain or Jackson. I'm very comfortable with his play so far but I know the heat is about to get turned up. Still, if the notion of moving him back to Safety passed I would be all for it.

Maddict5
08-30-2010, 04:36 AM
i rewatched the game again and didnt see quin do anything wrong when he got the 2 penalties for holding and PI. he got beat on the holding one but i didnt see him grab at all. they didnt even show a replay of it. i think he just had a rough night with the refs

Mr teX
08-30-2010, 08:58 AM
just heard this morning on 610, they said kubes said Quinn & jackson both were missing their jams at the LOS..when you do that, you're beat from the snap of the ball. It makes sense actually, but they can't have that happen too much against the colts or manning will make them pay.

gtexan02
08-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Romo to Austin is a pretty potent combination.

Our defense as a whole shut them down.

Quin may have gotten beat, but he was there when it counted.

No points is no points. Its a team game after all

Cjeremy635
08-30-2010, 09:02 AM
just heard this morning on 610, they said kubes said Quinn & jackson both were missing their jams at the LOS..when you do that, you're beat from the snap of the ball. It makes sense actually, but they can't have that happen too much against the colts or manning will make them pay.

I heard the same exact thing and was going to post it. You beat me to it, good job. :shades:

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Analysis
Positives: Adequate height and very solid overall build for a corner or free safety. ... Has the strength to jam on the line. ... Likes contact, will bring his hips and wrap up in the open field. ... Good awareness, reads screens, play action and misdirection. ... High-points the football and had good hands for the interception. ... Breaks up passes by jumping routes or fighting for the ball in the air. ... Returned 10 kickoffs for 323 yards as a senior and can be dangerous running back interceptions. ... Played through pain and returned quickly from groin surgery during junior season. ... Physical runner on returns -- goes straight upfield, is willing to take a hit and can bounce off to get additional yardage.

Negatives: Some teams will grade him as a safety and cornerback "tweener." ... Does not have great straight-line or recovery speed. ... Best when attacking the play in front of him. ... Will throw his shoulder to make a hit instead of wrapping up. ... Lacks great height and vertical leap to challenge tall NFL receivers. ... Inconsistent getting off receiver blocks on the edge. ... Lacks great quickness, vision or speed on returns.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
i rewatched the game again and didnt see quin do anything wrong when he got the 2 penalties for holding and PI. he got beat on the holding one but i didnt see him grab at all. they didnt even show a replay of it. i think he just had a rough night with the refs

On the holding penalty on Austin, he definitely had his hands all over him beyond the 5 yards, the one on Roy, he flat out got beat, and I didn't see a penalty.

The thing I like about Glover, is that he is physical, and he has more consistently done something to stop the receiver from catching the ball than most our other corners. Knocking the ball down, or knocking the receiver down... I like it.

speed can be compensated for by being smart, and early recognition. I think he was just playing off a little rust.

TimeKiller
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Romo to Austin is a pretty potent combination.

Our defense as a whole shut them down.

Quin may have gotten beat, but he was there when it counted.

No points is no points. Its a team game after all

To nitpick on this game is...well nitpicking. But to think Quin won't face anyone tougher than Romo/Williams/Austin? Recovery speed is a definite concern for him at CB but I like that if he sees his man getting past him and he knows the ball is coming, penalty is better than TD.

Analysis
Positives: Adequate height and very solid overall build for a corner or free safety. ... Has the strength to jam on the line. ... Likes contact, will bring his hips and wrap up in the open field. ... Good awareness, reads screens, play action and misdirection. ... High-points the football and had good hands for the interception. ... Breaks up passes by jumping routes or fighting for the ball in the air. ... Returned 10 kickoffs for 323 yards as a senior and can be dangerous running back interceptions. ... Played through pain and returned quickly from groin surgery during junior season. ... Physical runner on returns -- goes straight upfield, is willing to take a hit and can bounce off to get additional yardage.

Negatives: Some teams will grade him as a safety and cornerback "tweener." ... Does not have great straight-line or recovery speed. ... Best when attacking the play in front of him. ... Will throw his shoulder to make a hit instead of wrapping up. ... Lacks great height and vertical leap to challenge tall NFL receivers. ... Inconsistent getting off receiver blocks on the edge. ... Lacks great quickness, vision or speed on returns.

That picture is painted as a safety to me. I'm more than willing to see how this tandem works out but Wilson is Wilson, at this point maybe I should call him "Mister" Wilson. I certainly believe Quin would be an above average safety, which would give the Texans, for once, an above average pair of safeties.

Rey
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm more inclined to see what Nolan can do as a starting safety than Quinn.

If Quinn can become more savvy then I think he'll be fine as a #2 corner. Lets not forget that he is not being asked to be the #1...Jackson is.

There have been other corners that have lacked great physical skills but have overcome it with work ethic. Who knows if Quinn is one of those players, but I don't think he's going to kill us this year.

Against teams like the Colts it seems as if he'll mostly be lined up in the slot though because they use three wideouts so often.

TimeKiller
08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm more inclined to see what Nolan can do as a starting safety than Quinn.

Do explain.

Rey
08-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Do explain.

I don't know what there is to explain, but I'll give it a whack:

He's played the position a lot more and has made good/great plays almost every time I've seen him play the position.

There wouldn't be any need for him to adjust, as that is what he has played all along.

Shows really good instincts.

Makes good plays on the ball, and has shown that he has the ability to be a good tackler.

Has also shown the ability to be an enforcer and knock the crap out of receivers when they try to make a catch.

I've never seen Quinn play FS on this level (nor in college for that matter) so why would I want to see him as a starting FS over someone that has shown flashes of being good/potentially really good in both college and the pro's?

badboy
08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Analysis

Exactly and I posted this right after he was drafted that he was rated as 7th best free safety in nation with 4.50 speed which is good for FS and ok for CB.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=FS&draftyear=2009&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

His over all skills as a CB are actually quite good but I think he be best at FS. My problem with Quin, Jackson and Sherrick is what was identified on radio today ( I heard it on 790) as jamming but not releasing cleaning and swiveling to run with WR. This is exactly what I've been talking about since we drafted Jackson. He has looked much better than I anticipated but Quin has not progressed as much as I hoped. Techniques can be taught to reduce this weakness but it is going to be exploited quickly.

Another issue with our CBs when not jamming but playing back off WRs in anticipated passing downs. CBs are giving up about 5-8 yards and when play begins immediately go into backpedal. I forsee a QB taking advantage of that in reguilar season having the WR push hard as if going deep then coming back for the ball. SHould be good for 15- 20 yards.
Overall, it was a much better game. Interested in which team shows up this week.....

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
To nitpick on this game is...well nitpicking. But to think Quin won't face anyone tougher than Romo/Williams/Austin? Recovery speed is a definite concern for him at CB but I like that if he sees his man getting past him and he knows the ball is coming, penalty is better than TD.

That picture is painted as a safety to me. I'm more than willing to see how this tandem works out but Wilson is Wilson, at this point maybe I should call him "Mister" Wilson. I certainly believe Quin would be an above average safety, which would give the Texans, for once, an above average pair of safeties.

Exactly and I posted this right after he was drafted that he was rated as 7th best free safety in nation with 4.50 speed which is good for FS and ok for CB.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=FS&draftyear=2009&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

His over all skills as a CB are actually quite good but I think he be best at FS. My problem with Quin, Jackson and Sherrick is what was identified on radio today ( I heard it on 790) as jamming but not releasing cleaning and swiveling to run with WR. This is exactly what I've been talking about since we drafted Jackson. He has looked much better than I anticipated but Quin has not progressed as much as I hoped. Techniques can be taught to reduce this weakness but it is going to be exploited quickly.

Another issue with our CBs when not jamming but playing back off WRs in anticipated passing downs. CBs are giving up about 5-8 yards and when play begins immediately go into backpedal. I forsee a QB taking advantage of that in reguilar season having the WR push hard as if going deep then coming back for the ball. SHould be good for 15- 20 yards.
Overall, it was a much better game. Interested in which team shows up this week.....

Maybe, Safety > CB. Exactly what I've been thinking. Instead of wasting time chasing tail, he would probably be more productive waiting for head [no double entendre implied].:embarrass

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Maybe, Safety > CB. Exactly what I've been thinking. Instead of wasting time chasing tail, he would probably be more productive waiting for head [no double entendre implied].:embarrass

When Quin was drafted, LZ immediately annointed him our FS.

Hasn't worked out that way.

I just wish Brice McCain was taller.

disaacks3
08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
That's a really long wait for some! :lol:

Malloy
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
That's a really long wait for some! :lol:

Not only that, but I cant stop giggling when I read the title of the thread :)

silvrhand
08-30-2010, 12:22 PM

If our opponents WR's have time to run deep outs all day long we have more problems than that. Bump and run coverage is almost a thing of the past due to the fact that most receivers today are the size of TE's and getting bigger. Speed is only one factor in playing good coverage.

stance, footwork, position, strength, balance, all of that comes into play for a good CB.

silvrhand
08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Quin got nailed several times for chasing Dallas jerseys' tails. The reason I ask is that the knock on him going into the draft was that he did not have great vision or speed, and had trouble recovering and catching up to his receivers. Has anyone specifically watched him through camp and preseason to say that this game was a total fluke, or a hint of things to come with wiley receivers.

I was at the game and didn't see all the PI calls, were they legit cause I surely didn't seem them unless they were early into the route.

BigBull17
08-30-2010, 01:13 PM

Yeah, I don't agree on him being a CB over being the other safety.

Rey
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
To nitpick on this game is...well nitpicking. But to think Quin won't face anyone tougher than Romo/Williams/Austin?

Weren't they the second best offense last year?

Besides the Colts, I can't really think of too many teams that will be heads and shoulders better than Romo/Austin combination.

Rey
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I was at the game and didn't see all the PI calls, were they legit cause I surely didn't seem them unless they were early into the route.

They re-played one back during the broadcast that was not PI, IMO.

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM

The PI was just flat out not a PI and iirc, even the announcers didn't think it was a PI.

C Madd
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Weren't they the second best offense last year?

Besides the Colts, I can't really think of too many teams that will be heads and shoulders better than Romo/Austin combination.

Yes, they were 2nd and Romo/Austin were 3rd in passing and 3rd in receiving respectively. Pretty good combination, if you ask me.

Ckw
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
The PI was just flat out not a PI and iirc, even the announcers didn't think it was a PI.

Yeah when it first happened, the announcers said it was pass interference. Then when they replayed it expecting to see Glover really interfere with the play, there was nothing and they changed their tune. That call was not a good call.

badboy
08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
PI or no, he got beat.

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
PI or no, he got beat.

If Romo had not overthrown OR if whoever the receiver was hadn't slowed up in the first place, that probably would have been a TD and almost definitely a long completion.

But they didn't and that still shouldn't have been a PI.

dc_txtech
08-30-2010, 04:31 PM
PI or no, he got beat.

Not on that play he didn't, he was stride for stride with the receiver. So close in fact that the ref thought there was contact. It would have taken a perfectly placed ball for that to have been a completion.

beerlover
08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
he looked pretty good coming in on a blitz to sack Romo. the other cb who use to be effective in blitz packages was Dunta before his injury. his value increases around scrimmage, not sure about his long speed to be the FS we all covet but because of his aggressive physical run support skills should be Texans #1 nickle option w/McCain/McManis rotating coverage outside opposite Kareem Jackson. :specnatz:

Brandon420tx
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
His second PI was bogus. The Receiver stopped right in front of him what is he supposed to do phase through him? Romo over threw him anyway.

PapaL
08-30-2010, 06:44 PM
So maybe I thought this thread was about Quin pulling a Roethlisberger and chasing after tail.

Disregard. Carry On...

gary
08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
McCain and Quin both have played decent overall but I still think Glover will be the number two CB. I'd like to see what Quin would do as a safety though. What happens between the two is all on them. Both of them may each have their own flaws but we have to remember except for Reevs the secondary is very young as a whole. I would not be hardly surprised if the secondary experiences growing pains to begin this season just because they might not all be up to game speed but then again they just might start out on Fire. I won't count on that being how young they are and I believe most fans should be thinking along the same lines if you are not already JMO.

D-Frank
08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
i dont get all of the Kareem #1 cb etc our cbs play sides....

JB
08-30-2010, 10:18 PM

They don't all the time anymore. I saw KJ on both sides Sat.

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM

For a long time, we played where one corner back played on the right side of the defense and one corner back played on the left side of the defense. That way the cornerbacks were used to always doing the same thing every time. But that allowed the offense to dictate matchups. If they wanted their #1 receiver to match up with Petey Faggins, they just put him on Petey's side instead of Dunta's.

Now, we're moving more to a #1/#2 corner back style of defense. In this defense, we put our best corner back on their best receiver. This way, our defense dictates the matchups more.

But, I think we really don't strictly play one way or the other. I think Bush changes it up some.

D-Frank
08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks JB and TPN for the heads up! defense is getting interesting specially cause spencer tillman was sayin we did some 3-4 looks and even in TC barwin dropped in cov on a play and took it to the house. loovvve the aggression

JB
08-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks JB and TPN for the heads up! defense is getting interesting specially cause spencer tillman was sayin we did some 3-4 looks and even in TC barwin dropped in cov on a play and took it to the house. loovvve the aggression

We were also in a 3-5-3 a time or two.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM

OK, TPN mentioned a play (the interception) where Kareem was playing the right side of the field.

I mentioned a play (the slip & missed tackle) where Kareem was playing the left side of the field.

So, If Mrs. Plumb was in the library with the candlestick...

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Just asking a question, but if Spencer Tillman never mentioned it, would you have noticed it?

If you wouldn't have noticed it, does it really matter that Spencer Tillman mentioned it?

JB
08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
OK, TPN mentioned a play (the interception) where Kareem was playing the right side of the field.

I mentioned a play (the slip & missed tackle) where Kareem was playing the left side of the field.

Rep for the Clue reference! But it was actually Mrs. White & Proffessor Plum.

And it was Colonel Mustard with the rope in the Billiars Room.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Rep for the Clue reference! But it was actually Mrs. White & Proffessor Plum.

And it was Colonel Mustard with the rope in the Billiars Room.

I'd rep you for showing your age... but I can't.

I'll have to catch you next time.

I was so young when I watched that movie, I can't remember those details.

EditI just moved it up to position one in my Netflix cue. Can you believe they don't have it available for streaming?? My kids are going to love it.

JB
08-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd rep you for showing your age... but I can't.

I'll have to catch you next time.

I was so young when I watched that movie, I can't remember those details.

Love to take credit, but my memory sucks....Dogpile (http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/index/_iceUrlFlag=11?_IceUrl=true) is your friend. Better than google.

D-Frank
08-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Just asking a question, but if Spencer Tillman never mentioned it, would you have noticed it?

If you wouldn't have noticed it, does it really matter that Spencer Tillman mentioned it?

no i wouldnt have noticed it i havent watched the game again yet. its hard for me to diagnose what we are running during live action. why u gotta ask some crazy ass question like that?

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 11:25 PM
no i wouldnt have noticed it i havent watched the game again yet. its hard for me to diagnose what we are running during live action. why u gotta ask some crazy ass question like that?
I'm sorry it must be the rum. I didn't even notice your post count. Don't want to be known as one of "those" guys.

Carr Bombed
08-30-2010, 11:34 PM

Somebody rep this man for me......LMFAO.

D-Frank
08-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry it must be the rum. I didn't even notice your post count. Don't want to be known as one of "those" guys.

some of yall are so childish, ya get nutts behind a keyboard, im goin for the saaame team as yall. same with SOME other low post count guys.

Carr Bombed
08-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I think Glover Quinn was one of only two starting CBs who didn't give up a TD last season.

I think it was just bad officiating........however Quinn is a very physical corner and I've noticed he draws some flags with that physical style, but I'll gladly live with it..........I like the way he plays the game. I think over the coarse of a game he starts to wear on receivers, with his physical play.

JB
08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I always thought chasing tail was a good thing...:hurrah:

C Madd
08-31-2010, 12:12 AM

LOL is it bad when I thought the thread was going to be about this?

JB
08-31-2010, 12:16 AM

It is bad if you saw the thread title and saw anything else...

Carr Bombed
08-31-2010, 12:20 AM

I thought the same thing.......I thought I was about to open a thread and see something like we saw on hard knocks with Antrel Rolle

gary
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I think Glover Quinn was one of only two starting CBs who didn't give up a TD last season.

I think it was just bad officiating........however Quinn is a very physical corner and I've noticed he draws some flags with that physical style, but I'll gladly live with it..........I like the way he plays the game. I think over the coarse of a game he starts to wear on receivers, with his physical play.The refs? How dare you say that? LOL

HOU-TEX
08-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Unless it's the kinda tail FlamingWheelbarrow likes to chase. :grouphug:

JB
08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
:lol:

Rey
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM

I could have sworn both of those plays happened on the right side...Gonna have to go back and look

Ole Miss Texan
08-31-2010, 12:05 PM

:worthless:

badboy
08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Not on that play he didn't, he was stride for stride with the receiver. So close in fact that the ref thought there was contact. It would have taken a perfectly placed ball for that to have been a completion.Not the way I saw it. He had to catch up to get in range of WR. See post above yours, if Romo had thrown ball correctly it would have been a TD.