PDA

View Full Version : Final Verdict: Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones?

Ryan
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Since i doubt we will see either one against Tampa this thursday, who do you think should be our #2 across from Dre? Kevin Walter might have better hands, arguably, but does not have the same big play ability that Jacoby brings. Jacoby's routes have been vastly improved and combined with AJ, would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. Regardless of who the starter on paper is, i think we will see plenty of both of them during the season.

So who shall it be?

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 02:06 PM
I think they're 2a and 2b. In different situations and different packages, they'll both be utilized as the #2.

It's a really nice situation to be in.

ChampionTexan
08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Since i doubt we will see either one against Tampa this thursday, who do you think should be our #2 across from Dre? Kevin Walter might have better hands, arguably, but does not have the same big play ability that Jacoby brings. Jacoby's routes have been vastly improved and combined with AJ, would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. Regardless of who the starter on paper is, i think we will see plenty of both of them during the season.

So who shall it be?

I think they'll both get a lot of time on the field, and I wouldn't argue against either one as the #2 guy, but I think it will be Walter (at least early in the season) by virtue of his blocking, and his incumbency.

As I alluded to in my first sentence, I'm not sure the distinction as to who's the #2 guy and who's #3 will matter all that much this year.

Lucky
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I think Walter will see more plays in the base offense (2 WR sets). But, Jones will receive an equal or greater amount of targets.

Overalls
08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I know that Walter has been the 2a in the past but I have been seeing alot about Jones lately. He seems to be showing what they have expected from him the last couple of years. Nothing against Walter he has been a solid 2a but I think that if Jones can get it toghther he can surpass Walter to be the
2a.

Yankee_In_TX
08-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Is Walter a slot receiver?

Lucky
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Is Walter a slot receiver?
Walter's not shifty, like a Wes Welker. He's a big WCO type who can postion himself on slants and curls. But, he's sneaky fast enough to get behind press coverage that's too aggressive. I like Walter, and I'm glad the Texans re-signed him. He just doesn't have the big play, YAC ability that Jacoby has.

Maddict5
08-29-2010, 02:40 PM
let them split time again. JJ will get enough touches between that, 3 wr sets & pr's and we wont be exposed to his horrendous run blocking as often as if he played all 2 wr sets

ATXtexanfan
08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Walter will see more plays in the base offense (2 WR sets). But, Jones will receive an equal or greater amount of targets.

sums it up. walter a prototypical #2 but jj should excell in the slot. blocking has alot to do with walter being #2 as well.

Brandon420tx
08-29-2010, 03:14 PM
I chose walter, but only because it looks like JJ is doing punts again

SheTexan
08-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Walter!! Doesn't give me an many heart palpatations as JJ!! Have to admit though that JJ is holding on to the ball a little better this year. He still makes me have that "oh sheeeeet" feeling!!

Big Lou
08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm a K-Dub guy, because he blocks, and is clutch. However JJ is coming up fast. I think we'll see JJ out on the field a lot more in place of DA this year.

If OD is healthy, putting him, AJ, and JJ on the field at the same time will make it tough on the opposing DB's for sure!!!!!!

JJ's contract is gonna be tough to get done the way it looks......

Texas T
08-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Walter-with JJ as a 2.1/b or what ever.
Walter blocks better so he'll be seeing more time.
But I'm sure if JJ keeps it up he'll be seeing more time on the field and will have the time to change my mind.

GP
08-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm a K-Dub guy, because he blocks, and is clutch. However JJ is coming up fast. I think we'll see JJ out on the field a lot more in place of DA this year.

If OD is healthy, putting him, AJ, and JJ on the field at the same time will make it tough on the opposing DB's for sure!!!!!!

JJ's contract is gonna be tough to get done the way it looks......

IF Jacoby Jones balls this year and just plays outside his mind, then YES it will be a tough decision for the Texans management.

IF he goats it out there, and just makes too many drops and it gets to his head, then we will let him walk. IMO.

Dorin Dickerson will have had a year under his belt, and would likely be groomed for JJ's spot if we let him walk. Or we could go WR in first round if we stink it up this year and therefore get a mid-rounder in the 1st.

We have options, but I honestly think JJ is going to catch 80+, have at least 7 receiving TDs, 1 punt return TD, lots of big punt returns that get us down the field, and solidify himself as a starting WR here.

I was calling for this all last year. In all honesty, the guy was ready last year but Kubiak stayed with his pal Anderson too much. Watch David Anderson after he catches the ball: He is almost always tackled immediately afterward. JJ catches the ball and gets YAC consistently. You GOT to put that on the field. Would Anderson out-catch JJ? Yes. But the advantage is to JJ because of what he does with the passes he catches--He just gets downfield, in a hurry. He makes DBs look stoopid out there.

Rey
08-29-2010, 08:46 PM

Pretty much. I think that is the ideal situation.

Walter is the more complete receiver as far as blocking and being reliable.

Jacoby is the more explosive receiving target.

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
We may unveil a number of plays with 3 and 4 wideouts and with a TE in there as an Hback (without Vonta) that can either block or act as a 5th receiver. The possibilities will certainly be numerous.

eriadoc
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
JJ makes big plays. Walter makes some big plays, but he more frequently makes big plays happen for others. I'd take Walter over JJ in our current situation, given that JJ is going to see the field a lot. Personally, I think we'll be in 3WR a lot.

texasguy346
08-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Personally, I think we'll be in 3WR a lot.

I agree about the 3 WR sets. It seems like we had a good deal of success running out of that formation as well during the preseason. Hopefully that continues during the regular season.

Norg
08-30-2010, 01:06 AM
K W is solid between the 20's moving the chains and making thoes clutch 3rd downs JJ is well a exciting player

he did drop 2 plays thrown his way tho in the dallas game we cant have that so KW is #2 me thinks

ubecool454
08-30-2010, 02:33 AM
I think they're 2a and 2b. In different situations and different packages, they'll both be utilized as the #2.

It's a really nice situation to be in.

I'm with you on that...against the Titans it might be Walter and against the Colts it may be JJ. They would just matchup different against different teams IMO. I do think that JJ overall is the bigger threat since he is returning kicks.

TimeKiller
08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I went JJ but really it doesn't matter, they'll both see the field a lot. Looked like the Texans were pretty well versed in their 3 WR sets already too.

We were sitting there saying, why don't they try to get someone in the endzone from the 20/30 lines before marching all the way up to the 1 and having to kick because they can't push anyone over? Next play? Play action, look right I think it was Dreesen open-looked downfield and Jacoby had 5 steps on 2 guys and an easy floating spiral to haul in-in the endzone. We were like, yeah, dude's for real this time.

HuttoKarl
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I think Jacoby's shown us enough to take the #2 job, but picture them both being on the field together a lot...and both producing nicely.

BigBull17
08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
IF Jacoby Jones balls this year and just plays outside his mind, then YES it will be a tough decision for the Texans management.

IF he goats it out there, and just makes too many drops and it gets to his head, then we will let him walk. IMO.

Dorin Dickerson will have had a year under his belt, and would likely be groomed for JJ's spot if we let him walk. Or we could go WR in first round if we stink it up this year and therefore get a mid-rounder in the 1st.

We have options, but I honestly think JJ is going to catch 80+, have at least 7 receiving TDs, 1 punt return TD, lots of big punt returns that get us down the field, and solidify himself as a starting WR here.

I was calling for this all last year. In all honesty, the guy was ready last year but Kubiak stayed with his pal Anderson too much. Watch David Anderson after he catches the ball: He is almost always tackled immediately afterward. JJ catches the ball and gets YAC consistently. You GOT to put that on the field. Would Anderson out-catch JJ? Yes. But the advantage is to JJ because of what he does with the passes he catches--He just gets downfield, in a hurry. He makes DBs look stoopid out there.

DA doesn't get separation, doesn't make people miss, and can't break a tackle or out run people. He has excellent hands, but IF he is out there over JJ or Walter, it's a wasted play. He just isn't as good a player as the rest of the bunch.

Dutchrudder
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I like JJ myself. I think he can stretch the field more and will force a safety to stay on him when he runs long routes. KW as the slot guy or #3 WR would be good too as he is better at run blocking and has the toughness for those short passes over the middle.

Rey
08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
DA doesn't get separation, doesn't make people miss, and can't break a tackle or out run people. He has excellent hands, but IF he is out there over JJ or Walter, it's a wasted play. He just isn't as good a player as the rest of the bunch.

I think DA's value comes in the form of being able to work in tight space and being in position so the QB can make a throw that moves the chains. He is a smart player with sure hands.

But no, he isn't the physical talent of Jacoby or Walter or even Dorin Dickerson for that matter.

BigBull17
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I think DA's value comes in the form of being able to work in tight space and being in position so the QB can make a throw that moves the chains. He is a smart player with sure hands.

But no, he isn't the physical talent of Jacoby or Walter or even Dorin Dickerson for that matter.

He just has so much trouble gaining separation.

Thorn
08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Not having read all the posts in this thread, let me say this. They both are very valuable to the offense. Who cares who is actually the "number 2" guy. they both will help us.

Walter has always been good, JJ is now coming into his own. This is a good thing for the team.

JB
08-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Not having read all the posts in this thread, let me say this. They both are very valuable to the offense. Who cares who is actually the "number 2" guy. they both will help us.

Walter has always been good, JJ is now coming into his own. This is a good thing for the team.

:goodpost: Damn straight!

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Walter!! Doesn't give me an many heart palpatations as JJ!! Have to admit though that JJ is holding on to the ball a little better this year. He still makes me have that "oh sheeeeet" feeling!!

I'm thinking something similar to Marvin Harris & Reggie Wayne.

Of course, AJ is on a whole other level than Marvin Harris (not taking anything away from Marvin), JJ can be so much more than Reggie Wayne, I don't think Walter belongs in this conversation.

Nothing against Walter, he's without a doubt a fine #2. JJ is a 1 in the making.

JB
08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking something similar to Marvin Harris & Reggie Wayne.

Of course, AJ is on a whole other level than Marvin Harris (not taking anything away from Marvin), JJ can be so much more than Reggie Wayne, I don't think Walter belongs in this conversation.

Nothing against Walter, he's without a doubt a fine #2. JJ is a 1 in the making.

:facepalm: TK

Marvin Harrison!

gtexan02
08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Fitzgerald + Boldin + Breaston
Harrison + Wayne + Stokley

Johnson + Walter + Jones?

stevn8r
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Keep KW as #2... JJ in the slot is awesome! he demands respect from nickel DB's and can free up KW...AJ will be doubled and you can't double all of them!
Good Times!

JB
08-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Keep KW as #2... JJ in the slot is awesome! he demands respect from nickel DB's and can free up KW...AJ will be doubled and you can't double all of them!
Good Times!

Agree, but I think when they go 3 wide, either KW or AJ plays the slot.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Fitzgerald + Boldin + Breaston
Harrison + Wayne + Stokley

Johnson + Walter + Jones?

I think what you've written should be corrected to read

Johnson + Jones + Walter

You can't honestly tell me you believe Walter is on the order of Wayne or Boldin... If you are, I'm not buying it.

I love Walter, but he is not the talent that Jones is.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Good Times!

When other teams go three wide, GQ (our #2 CB) kicks inside. So there is no gaurantee JJ will be put on their "nickel DB"