PDA

View Full Version : 18 game season.....mcnair says "go for it"

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I began a thread in the NFL section, but this presents McNair as a driving force. Mods, please feel free to merge the threads either in the NFL section or this section, as you see appropriate.

Texans owner wants 18-game season (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5501971)

Another sticking point, McNair said, is when to start and end the season.

"It's difficult, if you try to start before Labor Day, because so many people are still out on vacation, and so it's hard to get a good crowd," McNair said. "And then up north, if you extend the season, you get into bad weather there.

"There are a few problems, as it relates to the schedule and the weather and that sort of thing. We'll just have to work through that, and we can always adjust later on, too."

McNair is confident that an 18-game schedule will be in place by the 2012 season.

hollywood_texan
08-27-2010, 06:03 PM
What comes to mind of this situation is the law of diminishing returns.

Two more games in an NFL season is not necessarily going to equate to a prorata increase in revenue of 12.5% (2/16) in revenues.

The league will generate more revenues. But I don't think it will be enough to cover the costs associated with the labor issues, which is what is driving this issue anyway.

At some point incremental growth hits it's peak.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
What comes to mind of this situation is the law of diminishing returns.

Two more games in an NFL season is not necessarily going to equate to a prorata increase in revenue of 12.5% (2/16) in revenues.

The league will generate more revenues. But I don't think it will be enough to cover the costs associated with the labor issues, which is what is driving this issue anyway.

At some point incremental growth hits it's peak.

I would be shocked if the players would not end up demanding significant monies increases. Just another clash and barrier to a owners and players coming to an agreement for avoiding stoppage and a new CBA.

WWJD
08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
In radio interviews, etc I have yet to hear a player that is in favor of an 18 game schedule. Most cited the injury factor.

Dwade
08-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I am strongly against this.

Injuries for one, and all single-stat records would be smashed...just a bad idea.

I say cut to 2 preseason and keep 16 games regular season.

Thorn
08-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I just have bad feelings about the 18 game season. I think it's going to be a sticking point for the new CBA. I get this sinking feeling about next year being a scrub year right when the Texans are finally starting to get their act togeather.

disaacks3
08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I would be shocked if the players would not end up demanding significant monies increases. Just another clash and barrier to a owners and players coming to an agreement for avoiding stoppage and a new CBA. Very likely. As it currently stands, Pre-Season is paid differently than the regular season, this is why so many holdouts return right before the regular season to get their "game checks". The easiest solution would be: All new contracts account for the extra 2 games, and all existing contracts to pro-rate the extra 2 weeks at the same rate as the original 16.

I'd much rather pay my "Full Fare" for only 1 preseason home game, rather than two.

disaacks3
08-27-2010, 06:28 PM
I am strongly against this.

Injuries for one, and all single-stat records would be smashed...just a bad idea.

I say cut to 2 preseason and keep 16 games regular season. The Dolphins "undefeated season" in '72 was after a 14-game regular season. Stats be damned....just like they were then.

Injuries? - We lost two draft picks this year in PRE-Season...I'd rather lose guys when the games count.

Ole Miss Texan
08-27-2010, 06:38 PM
So we might not have a 2011 season at all and then you expect the players to come back after 20 months off and play 18 regular season games?? riiiight

Dwade
08-27-2010, 06:45 PM
The Dolphins "undefeated season" in '72 was after a 14-game regular season. Stats be damned....just like they were then.

Injuries? - We lost two draft picks this year in PRE-Season...I'd rather lose guys when the games count.

I know it was. I just think 18 is too much

Yes, we lost 2 draft picks in the first two games of the pre-season. Less pre-season = less chance for injury

utahmark
08-27-2010, 06:51 PM
if they do it I hope one of the weeks is set aside for state rivalry week(or something like that). I would like to play the cowboys every year. Seems like it would make sense to have all the instate teams play each other every year.

ATXtexanfan
08-27-2010, 06:57 PM
rosters would have to be expanded as well

rmartin65
08-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I understand the owners wish for more money. But surely there must be other options? I read an article (sorry, cant find the link) that said a minor league between the draft and training camp would be huge. Make it like a season, players under a certain age (or years pro) are eligible, and expand the draft. With the rise in interest in the draft, people would eat this up. Especially if the minor league team was placed close to the home city.

SheTexan
08-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I began a thread in the NFL section, but this presents McNair as a driving force. Mods, please feel free to merge the threads either in the NFL section or this section, as you see appropriate.

Texans owner wants 18-game season (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5501971)

Since when did it get that cold in Mexico or London?! Canada would be a problem, but, that's what DOMED STADIUMS are for!! Just a ploy to get teams in another Country. JMO! The start of the demise of the NFL as we know it, if that happens.

JCTexan
08-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Where will the extra two opponents come from? Right now you play 1 AFC division, 1 NFC Division, 6 games inside your own division, and the other 2 are against teams inside your conference that had the same placing as you.

JB
08-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Where will the extra two opponents come from? Right now you play 1 AFC division, 1 NFC Division, 6 games inside your own division, and the other 2 are against teams inside your conference that had the same placing as you.

Probably two of the opposing conference that finished in the same place as you.

Or, they could do something interesting like rivalry weeks. We could play Dallas and NO every year.

rmartin65
08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Probably two of the opposing conference that finished in the same place as you.

Or, they could do something interesting like rivalry weeks. We could play Dallas and NO every year.

Rivalry weeks wont happen. The NFL tries to make everything as fair as possible. Say we are rivals with Dallas, and they are doing well. And the Jags are rivals with, I dont kow, Tampa Bay. TB sucks. Jacksonville would have a definite advantage for a while.

TimeKiller
08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
I think a pay increase is going to have to happen so the owners may as well get over it. If they really want to make it easier on themselves they'll quit setting new records on contracts. I'm for more football so...yup. I'll be pissed if ticket prices spike though, we pay full price for pre season anyway. I'm curious on how they plan to support the small market teams, bigger rosters means more contracts....

False Start
08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
My brother mentioned earlier that his idea would be to make last 4 games of the season be Divisional games, that would be pretty cool IMO.

JB
08-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Rivalry weeks wont happen. The NFL tries to make everything as fair as possible. Say we are rivals with Dallas, and they are doing well. And the Jags are rivals with, I dont kow, Tampa Bay. TB sucks. Jacksonville would have a definite advantage for a while.

You may be right, but the NFL is not concerned with short term advantages. They will be looking at the $$$. I look for some really creative marketing to offset some of the increased expenses due to player salaries, roster expansion, and more international games.

rmartin65
08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
You may be right, but the NFL is not concerned with short term advantages. They will be looking at the $$$. I look for some really creative marketing to offset some of the increased expenses due to player salaries, roster expansion, and more international games.

Oh, I agree that this will bring more money. I just dont think a rivalry week will happen. I am opposed to an 18 game season anyway. I think it is purely financially motivated, and will weaken the quality of play off football.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Since when did it get that cold in Mexico or London?! Canada would be a problem, but, that's what DOMED STADIUMS are for!! Just a ploy to get teams in another Country. JMO! The start of the demise of the NFL as we know it, if that happens.

I get that same feeling that the 2 "remaining" games will be eventually (sooner than later) played outside of the U.S. Maybe some day we wake up to see most of the games in countries that speak funny.....and, if this plan makes the owners big money, are treated to 2 games (if we're lucky) in our own backyard.:thinking:

DexmanC
08-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I get that same feeling that the 2 "remaining" games will be eventually (sooner than later) played outside of the U.S. Maybe some day we wake up to see most of the games in countries that speak funny.....and, if this plan makes the owners big money, are treated to 2 games (if we're lucky) in our own backyard.:thinking:

They haven't been to Wembley Stadium in a couple years. Ironic that
the two teams that won over there, The Giants and The Saints, eventually
won the Superbowl a short time later. International play seems to be good
luck if you win.

JB
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM

So you are thinking that 30+ games will be played internationally?

disaacks3
08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Wembley is a hell-hole of bad turf and lousy footing...players would rather NOT play there.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh, I agree that this will bring more money. I just dont think a rivalry week will happen. I am opposed to an 18 game season anyway. I think it is purely financially motivated, and will weaken the quality of play off football.

As the season progresses, the first teamers are usually the first to occupy the hospitals since they are the ones that play the most. By the time the Superbowl rolls around, we may be entertained by the same players that we would have otherwise seen only in the 4th quarters of preseason. Funny, following the owners' will, we will have likely ironically travelled in just one big circle......jerk.:rake:

JB
08-27-2010, 08:21 PM
As the season progresses, the first teamers are usually the first to occupy the hospitals since they are the ones that play the most. By the time the Superbowl rolls around, we may be entertained by the same players that we would have otherwise seen only in the 4th quarters of preseason. Funny, following the owners' will, we will have likely ironically travelled in just one big circle......jerk.:rake:

That's an awfully bleak picture. I hope you are not right. But, I can understand your reasoning. There are many players now that play through injuries during the playoffs, some injured in the playoffs, and it would be increasing that likelihood. And if they expand the rosters, that means more players that would not make the team this year, key backups next year.

steelbtexan
08-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Obviously the owners are going to do whatever it takes to make the most $$$.

If that means playing 18 gms or playing in other countries so be it.

Is it any suprise Uncle BoB would be for the 18 gm. season?

I'd love the 18gm season as a fan. But would hate it as a player.

drs23
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM

I agree with the bolded but have a different spin. The lockout threat (which I don't think the owners really want) came before the 18 game season ballon. Sounds like a bargaining chip to me. Look at all the ideas being floated here right now. I don't think the owners and the league wanna deal with that, and have entertained EVERY scenairo. The owners hold the hammer. They can pretty much force their hand on the players and the player's union. Seems to me if they back off of this then it makes their concession wants easier to obtain.

I'm sure there are folks here way more knowlegable about labor negotiations than myself. I did sit in on one union contact negotiation that same tactic was used. We settled the owners went home happy. We got to keep our job.

Next caller ;^)

gtexan02
08-27-2010, 08:44 PM
17 game season ftw

Texan_Bill
08-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Jerome Bettis made some interesting remarks today while being interviewed by Tim Brando. Bettis (paraphrasing) said that he would be for if:

1. Rosters were expanded (as someone mentioned earlier, and:
2. If players would be eligible for NFL pension a year sooner than it is now.

JB
08-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Jerome Bettis made some interesting remarks today while being interviewed by Tim Brando. Bettis (paraphrasing) said that he would be for if:

1. Rosters were expanded (as someone mentioned earlier, and:
2. If players would be eligible for NFL pension a year sooner than it is now.

Both good points, and could happen.

dtran04
08-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Rosters would have to be expanded and if so, more players could actually be used during the game. It's pretty stupid nowadays that you have to have guys inactive on gamedays.

As far as the injury argument, the owners will probably point to the fact that the same argument was used in the past, as they increased from a 10/12 game schedule. It would be interesting to see the data regarding injuries that occur during the playoffs since that would mirror an 18 game season.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Rosters would have to be expanded and if so, more players could actually be used during the game. It's pretty stupid nowadays that you have to have guys inactive on gamedays.

As far as the injury argument, the owners will probably point to the fact that the same argument was used in the past, as they increased from a 10/12 game schedule. It would be interesting to see the data regarding injuries that occur during the playoffs since that would mirror an 18 game season.

I guarantee you that you will never see that corroborating injury data, as more cannot be less. Besides, the playoffs would not accurately even mirror the 18 games, since there would be 18 regular season games.......plus who do you think would be playing during most of the preseason games if there were only 2?.........most likely the starters/regulars. Then, you're already talking about 21 to 23 "serious" games (yes, highly limited preseason games with little time to evaluate starters let alone subs, will have to taken as more serious). By the time the post season is complete, most teams will be singing "Ten little, nine little, eight little indians.................

Hervoyel
08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
McNair is simply wrong on this and I'm sorry that he in all likelihood has the power and support of other owners to see this happen.

What amazes me is that the owners, while literally being members of a club of people who practically have licenses to print money seem to actually have become more greedy and get worse every year. Playing games in England? Talking about expanding the league to London or Mexico City? Adding more regular season games? Changing their profit sharing model that has helped make them the most successful league in the known universe?

Not one of those ideas makes the NFL a better product. I was worried when franchise free-agency started spinning out of control that this might happen but hoped I was wrong. Now I know I'm not and that I'm living in the era when the greedy sons of bitches who own the NFL and the egotistical jack-ass they hired to run it are going to kill or at least seriously injure the goose that lays those golden eggs.

JB
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
McNair is simply wrong on this and I'm sorry that he in all likelihood has the power and support of other owners to see this happen.

What amazes me is that the owners, while literally being members of a club of people who practically have licenses to print money seem to actually have become more greedy and get worse every year. Playing games in England? Talking about expanding the league to London or Mexico City? Adding more regular season games? Changing their profit sharing model that has helped make them the most successful league in the known universe?

Not one of those ideas makes the NFL a better product. I was worried when franchise free-agency started spinning out of control that this might happen but hoped I was wrong. Now I know I'm not and that I'm living in the era when the greedy sons of bitches who own the NFL and the egotistical jack-ass they hired to run it are going to kill or at least seriously injure the goose that lays those golden eggs.

How did you feel about the league going from 14 games to 16 games? Lot's of people were saying similar.

gtexan02
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
How did you feel about the league going from 14 games to 16 games? Lot's of people were saying similar.

Exactly. We adjusted just fine going from 14 to 16, and I feel it will be the same from 16 to 18.

Football season is too short and we are always left wanting more. I dont see this as a bid deal.

Records were made to be broken. With all the rule changes, a 1000 yard rusher today isn't nearly the same feat as it was 50 years ago

TheMatrix31
08-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Half the reason the NFL is so prestigious is the limited quantity of games. Sure, its nice to get rid of games that don't matter, but I feel like the best thing about the NFL is how compact it is. Boom, 16 games, once a week. It's so special because there are so few of them. Two games isn't a massive expansion, but I just feel like it works best at 16. I also don't want the season starting in Mid-August. Kills the mood of football in my opinion.

Porky
08-28-2010, 09:13 AM
I like the idea myself. More "real" football = good. Hell if we are so concerned about injuries, why not go back to a 14 game schedule? These guys are getting paid millions. Hell you can break my damn leg if you'll give me a couple mil.

As far as the preseason, my idea would be to have two "official" preseason games, and two scrimmages of some sort in which only rookies, 2nd yr players, FA's and bubble players can play in. In the two official games, the coach can play whomever he wishes.

I really think between OTA's, training camp, two scrimmages, and some time in the two preseason games, the coaches can choose the right guys to keep.

Most of the "safe" vets only need at most one full football game to really get ready. The rest is fluff anyway and just exposes them to injury risk.

For instance, why is Andre Johnson playing 3 qtrs tonight? Is that necessary? He could roll out of bed and beat anyone Indy can throw at him. Play him a qtr and sit him IMHO!

Kaiser Toro
08-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I am all for 18 games from a content standpoint. I also am tired of paying $225 per exhibition game for my seats - which is my opinion why the fans being discussed are season ticket holders.

Teams and players will adjust, in the form of better conditioning, larger rosters, more coaches, changing schemes, etc

Financially, this is a bargaining tool for both sides, because it involves the fans - the judge in the court of public opinion. This thing scales easily for the benefit of both, and the fans. Now that we are involved in the debate, they need to make sure they come to a mutually beneficial outcome on this should they move to 18.

For those arguing the number of games is too much, and begins to dilute the product - I agree that it needs to stop here. I do think 18 is pushing it, but if the transition to 18 is done right it can be done, but I will not be for more.

Lucky
08-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the IR rule will need to be changed, allowing players that are removed from the roster to return later in the season, or the postseason. It's very possible that a player injured in September or October could be ready to play by January or February. There just aren't enough NFL caliber players (especially QBs) to go through a potential 18+ game season.

gary
08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Is the plan to add two games to the start of the season or the end?

SteveDeberg
08-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I think it is inevitable that the NFL will go to an 18 game season in 2012, but it will backfire and be a one year thing. They already tried somethign similar in 1993 with every team having two bye weeks. I dont remember the particulars but obviously one year later the NFL was back to a 17 week regular season schedul with 1 bye week per team.

The NFL also needs to be careful not to overexpose itself. Yes 18 games of the Texans would be great, but what about the Rams? Lions? The USFL tried an 18 game season (crickets chirping).

Beta VCR's were a good idea in their time too, the 18 game seasson will be tried and go the way of the BETA.:cow:

CloakNNNdagger
08-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I think the IR rule will need to be changed, allowing players that are removed from the roster to return later in the season, or the postseason. It's very possible that a player injured in September or October could be ready to play by January or February. There just aren't enough NFL caliber players (especially QBs) to go through a potential 18+ game season.

I agree that the IR rules will definitely have to be changed. However, I can see teams even more likely to push injured players beyond limits that they now push them in order to make it through the longer season.

b0ng
08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Instead of changing around IR, wouldn't it be better to make changes to the PUP list?

CloakNNNdagger
08-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Instead of changing around IR, wouldn't it be better to make changes to the PUP list?

The IR changes would necessarily imply changes to the PUP rules.

El Tejano
08-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone else get the feeling Mcnair is really trying to butter up the comish this year?

CloakNNNdagger
08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Anyone else get the feeling Mcnair is really trying to butter up the comish this year?

.........after the Cushing "overtrained athlete" challenge?

Giant Tiger
08-28-2010, 11:29 PM
If the NFL has 18 games & 2 preseason games, then tonight would be the first game of the regular season. The Cowboys didn't look like they're ready, with those blunders at the end of the first half. It's funny, because the CFL already has that & tonight reminded me of a long snapper in the CFL who couldn't get the ball to the punter.

hradhak
08-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree with the 18 game thing becoming a huge bust. Injuries are going to be a problem, teams are going to have to carry more players, and the 2 preason games are going to end up being played completely by the starters because they'll have to get 4 games of practice into 2 games.

Thorn
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
the more I think about it, and the more I read about it, the less I like the 18 game season.