PDA

View Full Version : 53 Man Roster Discussion

dalemurphy
08-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, the season is looming. As excited as I am, the high expectations have officially taken a toll on me and I find myself anxious and just a little morbid. I intended to write an article discussing the depth chart I am expecting and the one that I am hoping for. Things got away from me a little bit, but I decided there are enough fellow crazies around here that it may still be a worthy read:

The Two Rosters: The one that Should Be and the one that Will Be

Henry David Thoreau said that “Men live lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them”. Thoreau wasn’t even a Texan fan. As cutdown day looms next week, I have a harsh reality to come to grips with: the Texans are going to screw up my roster. Some people may laugh at my bravado. After all, who am I to suggest I know better than the Texan coaches who should be on the team? I am me. Despite my love and respect for the current organization, I can not escape the reality (however ludicrous) that I believe I know better than they do what personnel decisions to make. There is a fear that eats away at me in moments like the one looming next week. Frederich Nietzche called most of mankind the “bungled and the botched”. He said that there are a select few people destined for greatness and the rest of man kind is left flailing hopelessly at it. Occasionally, a man has a moment and is teased at the prosepect of greatness, but in the end, it is only a tease, and he is destined for calamity. Perhaps this is also true in the NFL. The Texans have clawed and worked their way to respectability and appear on the verge of something special. What if it is an illusion and they are destined to fail? Some teams can make one bonehead decision after another: Dallas Cowboys forced out Jimmy Johnson, drafted Quincy Carter in the second round, traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway, traded a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams, fired Bill Parcells, etc…. And yet, here they are again on the brink of more championships.

The question I am going to be asking myself next week when the Texans keep at least two of: Frank Okam, Chris White, Kris Brown, Fred Bennett while exposing (three of) Rest of Article (http://www.texansbullblog.com/rosters/news/)

beerlover
08-27-2010, 01:45 AM
First I would like to say your input is very much appreciated & really enjoy reading your posts.

Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled. Another question mark is special teams return game. If Jacoby is going to be the return guy taking duo roles one way to add that roster spot back is to cut Andre Davis.

Can also cut/release Fred Bennett, if he clears waivers which he probably will the Texans could always resign him if injurys pile up in secondary. Texans could also save roster spots on the DL & OL by focusing on their 7 man rotations, someone with PS eligability could still be stashed here.

Other than that I pretty much agree with you whole heartedly :handshake:

Lucky
08-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled.
Would you dress both of them on gameday? This makes absolutely no sense. If Kubiak hasn't seen enough in the preseason (which would be his own fault), then he just has to go with his gut. Hopefully, his gut reminds him of the MNF game versus the Titans last season. Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.

dalemurphy's prediction of a FA RB makes sense. That, or pick up one in a trade. I have high hopes for Foster, and I haven't given up on Slaton. But there's too much uncertainty to not bring in another back.

Other positions that could be upgraded on the waiver wire:
QB - If a vet doesn't make the cut (especially the Vikes 3rd stringer)
DT - The Texans need a big body, just not Frank Okam's big body
LB - Will Adibi and Clark be ready for the season opener?
S - Don't the Texans always grab a safety off the waiver wire?
KR - A solid returner always seems to fall through the cracks

beerlover
08-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Would you dress both of them on gameday? This makes absolutely no sense. If Kubiak hasn't seen enough in the preseason (which would be his own fault), then he just has to go with his gut. Hopefully, his gut reminds him of the MNF game versus the Titans last season. Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.

I could see them do this, yes. Use Kris for kick-offs & 40+ yard FG's he does have the stronger leg of the two & let Neil kick under 40 yard attempts plus extra points (best fantasy option). Not to mention kickers get injurys too, not sure how but they do plus the proverbial hot & cold streaks. Texans are already on the hook for millions owed Kris (someone could actually break down just how much could be recoverd if cut) while Neil has already pocketed I think about 350,000 just to come into camp for tryout, another million locks him in for the season.

dalemurphy's prediction of a FA RB makes sense. That, or pick up one in a trade. I have high hopes for Foster, and I haven't given up on Slaton. But there's too much uncertainty to not bring in another back.

I agree with this too.

Other positions that could be upgraded on the waiver wire:
QB - If a vet doesn't make the cut (especially the Vikes 3rd stringer) yes
DT - The Texans need a big body, just not Frank Okam's big body yes
LB - Will Adibi and Clark be ready for the season opener? no
S - Don't the Texans always grab a safety off the waiver wire? no
KR - A solid returner always seems to fall through the cracks yes

Battle Red Flash
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
First I would like to say your input is very much appreciated & really enjoy reading your posts.

Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled.

I think it was settled last year when Brown missed too many needed field goals. The man was booed at home when he came out to kick extra points. The Texans can't keep two kickers and can't keep Brown.
We saw what he was last year. If you cut Rackers then Brown misses one against Indy, the fans will go nuts and Rackers will be gone. Rackers has a better history than Brown and didn't hurt us last year like Brown did.
--The team should not keep two kickers and from a PR standpoint, they cannot keep Brown over Rackers.

badboy
08-27-2010, 09:57 AM
WHile I see BLs point on keeping both kickers at least for a couple games to see how both do under pressure, I just do not see that happening. I can not tll which way it will go but expect both to get minutes until pre-season ends. I know it is nice to let a guy go early to give him chance to sign elsewhere but Texans need this to be the right choice made at the very end.

Texas T
08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
WHile I see BLs point on keeping both kickers at least for a couple games to see how both do under pressure, I just do not see that happening. I can not tll which way it will go but expect both to get minutes until pre-season ends. I know it is nice to let a guy go early to give him chance to sign elsewhere but Texans need this to be the right choice made at the very end.

This is definately an important decision for Kubs to make.
As we all know kicking cost us some games last year (evne though that was not the only thing) so it needs to be set for this year.

I'm sure one of them will get cut on the last roster day-regardless of which one stays I really hope the coaches step back and pick the best one.

TimeKiller
08-27-2010, 11:20 AM
QB: Schaub, Orlovsky
RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Johnson
FB: Leach
TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Graham
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson
OL: Brown, S Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard, W Smith

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Sheppard, Jamison
LB: Ryans, (Cushing), Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Sharpton, Clark*
CB: Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McMannis
S: Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber
K: Rackers
P: Turk

*Clark gets cut when Cushing returns.

This is what I want, definitely not what I think will happen.

This is what I think will happen:
RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Ryan Moats
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson, Davis
OL: Brown, W Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Nading
K: Brown

dalemurphy
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Johnson
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson
OL: Brown, S Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard, W Smith

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Sheppard, Jamison

*Clark gets cut when Cushing returns.

This is what I want, definitely not what I think will happen.

TK, I am terrified that Jamison is going to get cut in favor of Nading. That would be a huge mistake, I think. Jamison is going to be good as soon as he gets snaps, IMO.

TimeKiller
08-27-2010, 11:24 AM
TK, I am terrified that Jamison is going to get cut in favor of Nading. That would be a huge mistake, I think. Jamison is going to be good as soon as he gets snaps, IMO.

Me too. Nading is awful deluxe.

rmartin65
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice read. I guess I will scribble down what I have right now. Bear in mind (wait, right "bear"?) that I have not been able to watch the first two games, so I am going off of last year, people's opinions on the boards, and the information I have from scouting the last draft. This is also just going off players on the roster. I am pretty sure the Texans will look to pick up someone's cuts, but that is way to hard to predict.

RB: Foster, Slaton, Johnson, Henry
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Anderson, Dickerson, Davis
TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Casey, Graham
OT: Brown, Winston, Butler
OG: Meyers, Caldwell, Brisiel, Studdard, W. Smith, S.Smith

DE: Williams, Smith, Barwin, Jamison
DT: Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Okam
OLB: Diles, Sharpton, Greenhouse, Adibi
MLB: Ryans, Bentley, Clark
CB: Quin, Jackson, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McManis
FS: Wilson, Nolan
SS: Pollard, Barber

One of the LBs get cut when Cushing returns.

beerlover
08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Nice read. I guess I will scribble down what I have right now. Bear in mind (wait, right "bear"?) that I have not been able to watch the first two games, so I am going off of last year, people's opinions on the boards, and the information I have from scouting the last draft. This is also just going off players on the roster. I am pretty sure the Texans will look to pick up someone's cuts, but that is way to hard to predict.

or PS (Greenhouse) :)

rmartin65
08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
or PS (Greenhouse) :)

Yeah, it is between him going to the PS, or Adibi or Clark getting cut. I remember people being really high on Adibi when he was drafted, but he has not done anything in the pros. However, he is very athletically gifted. Clark has experience, but Greenhouse is a special teams beast. They all have their pluses and minuses. I dont envy the coaching staff having to trim the roster.

JCTexan
08-27-2010, 06:08 PM

I can see Kubiak getting ripped no matter who he chooses. If he goes with Rackers and he misses a game winning/tying 50+ yard FG I can see people saying he should have chosen Brown, or if Brown misses an easy 35 yard FG people will say he should have chosen Rackers. Does Kubiak go with the better leg or the better accuracy?

Dwade
08-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I can see Kubiak getting ripped no matter who he chooses. If he goes with Rackers and he misses a game winning/tying 50+ yard FG I can see people saying he should have chosen Brown, or if Brown misses an easy 35 yard FG people will say he should have chosen Rackers. Does Kubiak go with the better leg or the better accuracy?

Accuracy is more important, Rackers is almost automatic inside 45, maybe 50...we don't attempt enough 50+ for that to be important.

gary
08-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Danny is already on IR I thought.

beerlover
08-27-2010, 08:27 PM

this lol: Kubiak has to look for safety in numbers or its his neck :choke:

False Start
08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.

Or turn his back, and guess who is better.

thunderkyss
08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Texans could also save roster spots on the DL & OL by focusing on their 7 man rotations, someone with PS eligability could still be stashed here.

That sounds like Shelley Smith. IMHO, putting him on the practice squad is just going for numbers, and not quality. That's not where we should be. I think he is clearly better than Wade and White. I would keep him on the roster, cut both Wade and White, and call it a day. If something happens, I'm sure both would still be available later on in the season.

I'd actually like to see Shelley starting at LG, with Brown, Myers, Caldwell, and Winston. Butler & Briesel would round out that group.

J_R
08-27-2010, 10:36 PM
That sounds like Shelley Smith. IMHO, putting him on the practice squad is just going for numbers, and not quality. That's not where we should be. I think he is clearly better than Wade and White. I would keep him on the roster, cut both Wade and White, and call it a day. If something happens, I'm sure both would still be available later on in the season.

I'd actually like to see Shelley starting at LG, with Brown, Myers, Caldwell, and Winston. Butler & Briesel would round out that group.

Cut Wade?! The same Wade Smith they gave 4 yrs, 12 million to? I doubt that. Too early to admit that mistake, if it is one.

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Danny is already on IR I thought.

Danny Clark? No, he's still OK. He's just a little injured, not reserve injured.

thunderkyss
08-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Cut Wade?! The same Wade Smith they gave 4 yrs, 12 million to? I doubt that. Too early to admit that mistake, if it is one.

I know, but that's what I would do. Based on what I've seen, I can't imagine him on this team.

rmartin65
08-29-2010, 09:44 AM
So the first set of cuts happen today or tomorrow right? Anybody have some guesses?

EDIT- the cuts happen by Tuesday. 80-75, followed by a big cut from 75 to 53 on the 5th (I think).

Lucky
08-29-2010, 11:25 AM
So the first set of cuts happen today or tomorrow right? Anybody have some guesses?

EDIT- the cuts happen by Tuesday. 80-75, followed by a big cut from 75 to 53 on the 5th (I think).
I think one of the kickers should go (Kris Brown). If Kubiak doesn't know who the best is by now (Neil Rackers), he's gotta just make a guess. This will give the other guy (Kris Brown) a chance to latch on to another team.

ChampionTexan
08-29-2010, 11:33 AM

I think in the past, the Texans have made most of their cuts the day after the game regardless of when the deadline was. I'm guessing the list will start leaking out mid-afternoon.

thunderkyss
08-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Looks like I am 100% wrong on this. I thought he played well, I wouldn't say very well, but he played well.

If he ends up being the starter, I think it will be more because of the money we paid. If he turns out to consistently play solid all year, I will be pleasantly surprised.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Looks like I am 100% wrong on this. I thought he played well, I wouldn't say very well, but he played well.

If he ends up being the starter, I think it will be more because of the money we paid. If he turns out to consistently play solid all year, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I thought he played pretty good. He had a few whiffs and a few times where he broke down a little bit, but the guy's got good feet and I saw him getting some good push and getting to the second level pretty well.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well he played.

Better than Studdard, I think.

rmartin65
08-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I did not see this posted anywhere, but three guys have been cut.

CB Fred Bennett (yes, saw the thread)

WR London Crawford

DE Pannel Egboh

2 more to go, and I must admit, I am surprised to see Egboh go this early.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I did not see this posted anywhere, but three guys have been cut.

CB Fred Bennett (yes, saw the thread)

WR London Crawford

DE Pannel Egboh

2 more to go, and I must admit, I am surprised to see Egboh go this early.

From what I saw in the Cardinal game, I thought Egboh would stick around longer. He may still make the PS but it's looking pretty grim.

But like I said, I thought he looked pretty good when he played.

dalemurphy
08-29-2010, 10:13 PM
From what I saw in the Cardinal game, I thought Egboh would stick around longer. He may still make the PS but it's looking pretty grim.

But like I said, I thought he looked pretty good when he played.

He has looked good but he is behind Barwin, Jamison, and Nading... and, there's a good chance that Jamison or Nading won't make the team either.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
He has looked good but he is behind Barwin, Jamison, and Nading... and, there's a good chance that Jamison or Nading won't make the team either.

I just didn't expect him to go in the first cut. There are some other fringe players I expected to go first.

Lucky
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I just didn't expect him to go in the first cut. There are some other fringe players I expected to go first.
But, they may need these other guys you are referring to in order to get through the last preseason game. The last preseason game is absolutely the worst game of the preseason.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 10:54 PM
But, they may need these other guys you are referring to in order to get through the last preseason game. The last preseason game is absolutely the worst game of the preseason.

Even from the same position. I don't recall Wyche or Unrein having played.

JB
08-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Even from the same position. I don't recall Wyche or Unrein having played.

I think that releasing them serves a two-fold purpose. It gives them a chance to catch on with another team, and... if no one picks them up, they are locks for the PS. ( Egboh anyway)

GP
08-29-2010, 11:19 PM

Cushing not on your list, and you got 53 guys there.

I ask in all honesty here: Does Cushing not count against roster or something? Don't we have to count him on our final roster? If he has to be on there, then who do we cut (from your list) to make room for him?

My vote is McManis. We'd still be 5-deep at CB, with one of our extra safeties able to play in a nickel role if needed.

JB
08-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Cushing not on your list, and you got 53 guys there.

I ask in all honesty here: Does Cushing not count against roster or something? Don't we have to count him on our final roster? If he has to be on there, then who do we cut (from your list) to make room for him?

My vote is McManis. We'd still be 5-deep at CB, with one of our extra safeties able to play in a nickel role if needed.

Cushing does not count against the 53 while he is suspended.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 11:25 PM
I think we're going to see another RB brought in and another player dropped from the current roster.

WHO that RB is will be pretty important and the RB may unseat Henry (although Marciano seems to really like Henry on ST.)

JCTexan
08-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Cushing does not count against the 53 while he is suspended.

Aren't five guys on the 53 inactive for the games anyway?

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Aren't five guys on the 53 inactive for the games anyway?

Yes and no, you can only suit 45 players for the game so 8 guys are inactive. But Cushing doesn't even count against the 53 while he's suspended.

JCTexan
08-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I think we're going to see another RB brought in and another player dropped from the current roster.

WHO that RB is will be pretty important and the RB may unseat Henry (although Marciano seems to really like Henry on ST.)

If another RB is brought in it will definitely mean Henry is gone. It seemed like in yesterdays game that Johnson was the #3 RB on the roster.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2010, 11:34 PM
It's going to be interesting to get a long hard look at both Johnson and Henry in this last preseason game.

And, of course, anyone else they bring in.

DexmanC
08-30-2010, 12:03 AM
It's going to be interesting to get a long hard look at both Johnson and Henry in this last preseason game.

Kubiak did say, regarding Johnson and Henry,:

"We may have four backs, but it doesn't mean THOSE are our four.
Thursday's gonna be very important for both of them."

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Kubiak did say, regarding Johnson and Henry,:

"We may have four backs, but it doesn't mean THOSE are our four.
Thursday's gonna be very important for both of them."

Exactly.

He also said something to the effect of "we've got a couple more moves we may make by Tuesday."

So, I'm expecting someone to be brought in and at least one more cut.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Did Johnson have more than that one good run?

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Did Johnson have more than that one good run?

Here are his rushes as per NFL.com:

That's alright. I'd prefer less of those 1 yard carries but at least he didn't lose yardage.

dalemurphy
08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
After listenning to Kubes today and reviewing the game film and my preseason notes, I feel that I have a good handle of the roster spots still open. Here is our final "on the bubble" articles for 2010:

ON THE BUBBLE- FIGHT TO BE A 2010 HOUSTON TEXAN

I’m trying to contain my joy regarding the cutting of Fred Bennett. Not only is it a re-affirmation that the Texans know what they are doing, but it guarantees that the week one starting secondary will have zero holdovers from last seasons putrid early season performance. Dunta Robinson, Fred Bennett, Busing, and Dominique Barber won’t be missing tackles and taking poor angles on the ball against Indianapolis in week one. Barber, who is much improved since early last season, is on the team but won’t be seen apart from the special teams. I wish Fred Bennett well, though. As a matter of a fact, nothing would make me happier than to see him signed on with the Colts or Titans. Perhaps, he could even win a starting job for them. Yep, that would certainly make me happy. I might even campaign for it.

Most football fans find the next two weeks, prior to week one, to be uneventful. However, if you are reading this blog, you are almost assuredly obsessed enough with the Texans to appreciate the enormity of what will be transpiring between now and Friday. In the midst of preparing for and playing a football game against Tampa Bay on Thursday night, the coaches and personnel department are fashioning the 2010 Texans. After today’s cuts (Crawford, Egboh, and Bennett), the Texans have a minimum of 24 players to cut by next Saturday. In today’s NFL, you had better believe the depth of a team is essential to a typical season. When one factors in special teams and injuries, it is likely that each of the 53 players that make the opening game roster will impact the team’s success or failure this season with their on-field performance. So, let’s take a look at what spots have been claimed and who still has a viable opportunity to make the roster.

First, here is my list, broken down by position, of players virtually assured of a roster spot:

QB: Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky

RB: Arian Foster, Steve Slaton, Jeremiah Johnson

FB: Vonta Leach

WR: Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones, Kevin Walter, David Anderson, Dorin Dickerson

TE: Owen Daniels, Joel Dressen, James Casey, Garrett Graham

C/G: Wade Smith, Antoine Caldwell, Kasey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, Chris Myers

OT: Eric Winston, Duane Brown, Rashod Butler

P: Matt Turk

DE: Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin

DT: Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, Frank Okam, Earl Mitchell

LB: (Brian Cushing), Demeco Ryans, Zac Diles, Daryl Sharpton, Kevin Bentley, Xavier Adibi

CB: Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin, Brice McCain, Antwaun Molden, Jacques Reeves, Sherrick McManis

S: Bernard Pollard, Eugene Wilson, Troy Nolan, Dominique Barber

Okay, that is 46 of the 53 roster spots. Cushing won’t count against the 53 until his suspension ends in October. One spot clearly goes to Kicker. I am thoroughly convince Neil Rackers won the job. Kris Brown will be cut after the game on Thursday. So, that leaves 6 spots. Below are a list of players with an opportunity to secure one of those final six spots on the team: REST OF ARTICLE (http://www.texansbullblog.com/bubble-final-edition-guide-tb-preseason-game-interesting/news/texans-news/)

IDEXAN
08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
So you're predicting that Shelly makes the roster over White, and Sheppard makes it over DeJuan ? Rookies over vets and you even quantify it,
something like 70-75 % likelihood they keep the youngsters ?
Personally I also hope they keep the young guys, the players with the most upside, but Kubiak is in that familiar situation NFL coachs often find themsevles in - win this year or else.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 10:57 AM
So you're predicting that Shelly makes the roster over White, and Sheppard makes it over DeJuan ? Rookies over vets and you even quantify it,
Personally I also hope they keep the young guys, the players with the most upside, but Kubiak is in that familiar situation NFL coachs often find themsevles in - win this year or else.

I think our depth is good enough that we don't need to rely on a Chris White, and Shelly has looked really good IMHO. I'd let White walk. With Briesel as our C/G backup, we can let White go.

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I think our depth is good enough that we don't need to rely on a Chris White, and Shelly has looked really good IMHO. I'd let White walk. With Briesel as our C/G backup, we can let White go.

We've got both Brisiel and Wade Smith who can go C/G, right? I think that makes White expendable.

dalemurphy
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Well, he's already done it with McManis over Bennett.

badboy
08-30-2010, 04:18 PM
We've got both Brisiel and Wade Smith who can go C/G, right? I think that makes White expendable.Briesel looked better to me against Dallas than Caldwell.

J_R
08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Holliday, Tate placed on IR to get down to 75 limit. Daniels passes physical to be activated from active PUP. Danny Clark day-to-day.

Kubiak impressed with Troy Nolan and Wade Smith - "he (Smith) is what we thought he was."

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Holliday, Tate placed on IR to get down to 75 limit. Daniels passes physical to be activated from active PUP. Danny Clark day-to-day.

Kubiak impressed with Troy Nolan and Wade Smith - "he (Smith) is what we thought he was."

I was surprised Holliday and Tate weren't already on it.

dalemurphy
08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Briesel looked better to me against Dallas than Caldwell.

According to my grading system, Caldwell had a great game... not that Brisiel was bad. In my opinion, Caldwell and Brown have been the most impressive Olinemen this pre-season.

Jackie Chiles
08-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Chances are Brisiel is going to get some action this season as the first backup to any interior spot. Not going to much drop off either, pretty exciting.

Rey
08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
According to my grading system, Caldwell had a great game... not that Brisiel was bad. In my opinion, Caldwell and Brown have been the most impressive Olinemen this pre-season.

Kubiak made a statement in the paper basically saying Caldwell and Briesel were neck and neck...

Gonna be interesting to see who gets the nod and if that player keep the spot all yr. long...

Kaiser Toro
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Here is mine:
QB – Schaub, Orlovsky
RB- Foster, Slaton, Johnson
FB – Leach
OT – Brown, Winston, Butler
OG – WSmith, Caldwell, Brisiel, Studdard, SSmith
C – Myers, White
WR – Johnson, Walter, Jones, Anderson, Davis, Dickerson
TE – Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Graham (26)

DE – Williams, Smith, Barwin, Jamison
DT – Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Sheppard, Okam
LB –Ryans, Diles, Sharpton, Bentley, Adibi, Greenhouse (Cushing)
CB – Jackson, Quin, McManis, McCain, Molden, Reeves
S – Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber (25)

P: Grand Turk

JB
08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Here is mine:
QB – Schaub, Orlovsky
RB- Foster, Slaton, Johnson
FB – Leach
OT – Brown, Winston, Butler
OG – WSmith, Caldwell, Brisiel, Studdard, SSmith
C – Myers, White
WR – Johnson, Walter, Jones, Anderson, Davis, Dickerson
TE – Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Graham (26)

DE – Williams, Smith, Barwin, Jamison
DT – Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Sheppard, Okam
LB –Ryans, Diles, Sharpton, Bentley, Adibi, Greenhouse (Cushing)
CB – Jackson, Quin, McManis, McCain, Molden, Reeves
S – Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber (25)

P: Grand Turk

Agree with most of this, but I think SSmith goes to the PS, as does Greenhouse. Clark and Nading probably make the roster.

Kaiser Toro
08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Agree with most of this, but I think SSmith goes to the PS, as does Greenhouse. Clark and Nading probably make the roster.

Could very well happen with Clark and Nading. I think SSmith would get picked up quick, such as with the Skins.

My short list for bubble guys are Sheppard, Jamison, Greenhouse and Adibi.

As much as I think Okam has not done much to distance himself from the competition, I have to believe he serves a purpose in practice and on scout teams. So I left him on. :gun: It pains me, as I had high hopes for Okam developing into a run stuffer.

JB
08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Could very well happen with Clark and Nading. I think SSmith would get picked up quick, such as with the Skins.

My short list for bubble guys are Sheppard, Jamison, Greenhouse and Adibi.

As much as I think Okam has not done much to distance himself from the competition, I have to believe he serves a purpose in practice and on scout teams. So I left him on. :gun: It pains me, as I had high hopes for Okam developing into a run stuffer.

Perhaps Big Frank starts to assert himself this year. He has looked much better this offseason to previous years, imo. Also, it's his 3rd year and I believe a contract year.

J_R
08-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Final roster checkup by AJ Burge: http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-roster-checkup-final-cuts-edition

beerlover
08-31-2010, 01:34 AM
doesn't seem much different than last years squad. they had better be careful exposing younger players with potential on waivers to make PS, Shelly Smith, Dorin Dickerson & Malcolm Sheppard could be picked off :whistles:

ps. hope Isaiah Greenhouse makes it over Danny Clark, heck even Xavier Adibi (dude is never healthy).

aj.
08-31-2010, 08:03 AM
doesn't seem much different than last years squad.

The big difference being the secondary.

Opening week 2009 against the Jets, starting secondary: Bennett and D-Rob at corner, Barber and Nick Ferguson at safety

And of course Arian Foster was still on the ps

rmartin65
08-31-2010, 09:54 AM
doesn't seem much different than last years squad. they had better be careful exposing younger players with potential on waivers to make PS, Shelly Smith, Dorin Dickerson & Malcolm Sheppard could be picked off :whistles:

ps. hope Isaiah Greenhouse makes it over Danny Clark, heck even Xavier Adibi (dude is never healthy).

I agree with everything you said here. Smith and Dickerson will get claimed off the waiver wire, I have no doubt about that. Its 50/50 on if Sheppard would, but I would prefer not to take the risk.

And I have been talking up Greenhouse for a while now. I think he could be the Texans' Larry Izzo.

badboy
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree with everything you said here. Smith and Dickerson will get claimed off the waiver wire, I have no doubt about that. Its 50/50 on if Sheppard would, but I would prefer not to take the risk.

And I have been talking up Greenhouse for a while now. I think he could be the Texans' Larry Izzo.Instead of giving a roster spot to the same old bubble guys lets give these new players a chance. Greenhouse has looked good!

beerlover
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
The big difference being the secondary.

Opening week 2009 against the Jets, starting secondary: Bennett and D-Rob at corner, Barber and Nick Ferguson at safety

And of course Arian Foster was still on the ps

switched high drama franchised CB for rookie 1st rd. pick - while we're hoping for upgrade over long term immediate improvement should be restrained as Kareem learns the NFL players tendencies, team schemes & overall athletic ability of NFL WR's.

McManis replaced Bennett- upside is there but learning curve should temper expectations.

Eugene Wilson is healthy, so far this pre-season wait until the regular season.

Troy Nolan was drafted to be Wilsons back-up last year but got hurt & placed on IR.

Dominique seems limited to special teams it seems, did injurys last season cause him to drop out of safety consideration?

Pollard wasn't here last year until into season but I include him as the same steadying force @ SS.

Glover Quinn has another year under his belt, he was hurt last preseason & beginning of regular but by end of last year had established himself as a starter.

McCain was solid last year, I really think he should be starting in most cases, just another year of development.

Antwaun Molden has been hanging around, kinda like Adibi mostly on injured status, its unfortunate but I'm ready to let them go & keep guys who can stay healthy.

Overall the secondary has improved, but other than trading out 1st rd. picks & 5th for 4th its more a tribute to coach Gibbs & development of players already on the roster from last season.

GP
08-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Final roster checkup by AJ Burge: http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-roster-checkup-final-cuts-edition

So if we keep Weeks (long snapper) then that presents a challenge at some other roster position....

It makes most sense to cut loose Davis, Townsel, and Williams from the WR squad. Go with 5 WRs (AJ, JJ, KW, DA, and Dickerson).

Another option would be to cut loose an extra CB and have one of the backup Safeties play a CB spot if needed in a gameday situation (nickel defense, sub in case of injured CBs).

I will be upset if Jeremiah Johnson does not make the cut and Chris Henry does. Surely they see what us fans see. It's not like Jeremiah is a world beater right now, but he has found more daylight than Henry has.

dalemurphy
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
So if we keep Weeks (long snapper) then that presents a challenge at some other roster position....

It makes most sense to cut loose Davis, Townsel, and Williams from the WR squad. Go with 5 WRs (AJ, JJ, KW, DA, and Dickerson).

Another option would be to cut loose an extra CB and have one of the backup Safeties play a CB spot if needed in a gameday situation (nickel defense, sub in case of injured CBs).

I will be upset if Jeremiah Johnson does not make the cut and Chris Henry does. Surely they see what us fans see. It's not like Jeremiah is a world beater right now, but he has found more daylight than Henry has.

I don't think we can cut Davis. They would have to reach an injury settlement with him right now. And, I don't think they want to IR him. Then, they would owe him $3million for the season, only to surely let him go next year. So, that really poses a problem with the roster.

J_R
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't think we can cut Davis. They would have to reach an injury settlement with him right now. And, I don't think they want to IR him. Then, they would owe him $3million for the season, only to surely let him go next year. So, that really poses a problem with the roster.

Why would they have to reach an injury settlement with him right now? Yeah, he may be hurt but he isn't on IR. I could be wrong on that though.

GP
08-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Roster spots are worth gold, though. I'd rather have a lock-down long snapper than a gimpy WR making more than he should. What happens if Dreesen gets hurt in the season? No thanks. I want punt and field goal consistency, and a lot of that is found with the quality of the snap.

This is a time when Bob McNair should give the OK to pay whatever has to be paid. They rewarded the guy for one season's performance and while it was a good gesture, they have to eat it and move on.

All Bob has to do is raise the prices of hot dogs and beer by 5-cents and he'll make it back over the next few years. I am positive they will find a way to survive the huge financial burden of cutting/settling with Andre Davis.

devo-x
08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
I hope Jeremiah Johnson (RB) and Troy Nolan (FS) make the final roster

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I hope Jeremiah Johnson (RB) and Troy Nolan (FS) make the final roster

Unless they're injured sometime between now and the beginning of the season (and stranger things have happened), they're on the 53.

Lucky
08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't think we can cut Davis. They would have to reach an injury settlement with him....
What would prevent the Texans from doing just that? I don't know if I agree with cutting Davis, but he doesn't seem to be in the teams plans. If the Texans can pickup a returner off waivers, then it's a no brainer to cut Davis.

I don't see the Texans keeping Reeves, either. Gibbs wants CBs utilizing his techniques only. Which is why the Texans will go with 4 CBs who have only played under Gibbs, and one CB (Molden) with just one season under Jon Hoke. A combined 49 games and 13 starts amongst the 5 CBs I expect the Texans to keep (Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, McManis).

dalemurphy
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
What would prevent the Texans from doing just that? I don't know if I agree with cutting Davis, but he doesn't seem to be in the teams plans. If the Texans can pickup a returner off waivers, then it's a no brainer to cut Davis.

I don't see the Texans keeping Reeves, either. Gibbs wants CBs utilizing his techniques only. Which is why the Texans will go with 4 CBs who have only played under Gibbs, and one CB (Molden) with just one season under Jon Hoke. A combined 49 games and 13 starts amongst the 5 CBs I expect the Texans to keep (Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, McManis).

There are legal issues regarding the cutting of injured players under contract: he would have to be cleared to play or a settlement has to be reached before they can cut him.

dalemurphy
09-01-2010, 12:01 AM
By the way, I don't buy, for one second, that the RG job is still up for grabs. Having said that, I don't understand what Kubiak is trying to accomplish with this sherade... but, I believe it is one. Here are the results from my film study of the Cowboy game, followed by links to previous grades of the interior O-line:

Film Study: O-Line Grades for Dallas Game

Joyfully, I just concluded my first review, via DVR, of the Cowboy game from Saturday night. In addition to the interior O-line, I decided to also grade the starting tackles. I used the identical grading system to track each player. First, I will give you some raw data and then discuss more about the specifics of each performance. I graded each lineman each play with a score between +2 and -2. I weeded out plays like end arounds and unsuccessful screen passes, where the performance of the offensive line was largely irrelevant. So, here you go:

The first team offensive line: Wade Smith, CMyers, ACaldwell all played26 graded snaps together and Caldwell was then replaced for 17 snaps with Mike Brisiel. In all, I graded out six offensive linemen: Chris Myers, Antoine Caldwell, Mike Brisiel, Wade Smith, Duane Brown, and Eric Winston.

Antoine Cladwell: in 26 plays totalled +28… He scored +17 in 12 pass plays and +11 in 14running plays. He was very steady in the run game and was dominate in pass protection. I thought he played a great game. Through three games of grading Caldwell, I would conclude that he is highly proficient as a pass blocker, solid playside run blocker, and mediocre executing backside cuts on run plays. Regarding screens, the sample is too small.

Chris Myers: in 43 plays, he totalled +15. He was +9 in 21 pass plays and +6 in 22 run plays. He was consistent as a pass blocker and held up the pocket well, though he did get beat badly once on a swim move. He looks quite good on the move and on the second level, though he could’ve been called for holding a couple times and he was called for it on the first Foster TD run. Overall, my impression is that he looks better than he did last season. My guess is he is healthier, the running backs are improved, and he has better guard play next to him.

Wade Smith: in 43 plays, Smith received a total of +14. On 21 passes, he earned +8. On 21 run plays, he earned +6. Smith can whiff and can also get bull-rushed. However, his athleticism is evident and I think he looks very good on the move (either pulling or reaching the second level). He has essentially been named week one starter over Kasey Studdard. I was hopeful going into camp that would happen. However, I think the two have played fairly equitably. The difference may be that Smith is much better on the back side of plays, which is important at LG (because the right side is usually the strong side/playside on zone runs).

Mike Brisiel: in 17 plays at RG, Brisiel received a total of +9. In 8 pass plays, he earned a +4. In 9 run plays, he earned +5. Brisiel was very physical and active. He certainly isn’t bad. However, the guy clutches, grabs, kicks, trips… to get the job done and still, IMO, is not nearly as effective as Antoine Caldwell. I have to believe that the “competition” at RG is a roos and is some sort of show of respect towards Brisiel and/or motivation for Caldwell.

Duane Brown: in 43 plays, Brown received a total of +19. On 21 passes, he earned +12. On 21 run plays, he earned +7. Brown’s athleticism really shows up. He can recover from awkward positions in pass protection and is beastly on the move on the second and even third levels on runs/screen passes. He did a solid job against Ware but struggled to complete some backside cuts that prevented opportunities for big plays in the run game.

Eric Winston: in 43 plays, Winston received a total of +32. On 21 passes, he earned +17. On 22 run plays, he earned +15. Winston can absolutely maul his opponent. On one play, he caved in the entire left side of the defensive line. He can sometimes struggle with speed rushers and will likely have some issues with Mathis/Freeney in week one, but he is a near dominate run blocker and is at least solid in pass protection. I think there will be a lot of big plays in the run game off the right tackle this season.

The offense and line as a whole looked so good that is was difficult to grade. They really did dominate in the game. Assuming Caldwell and Wade Smith start week one at guard, this is an O-line that will seldom be outmatched with athleticism. Therefore, even if a lapse or two occur, it is a group that can, at any point, provide opportunities for big plays in both the run and pass. I am also encouraged by the depth this season. Rashod Butler, Kasey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, and Shelley Smith provide a very solid bench of O-linemen. By the way, I do not buy the story that Brisiel may beat out Caldwell at RG. Brisiel will be the C/G backup in week one… I’m quite sure of that!

the grades for the N.O. game and the Arizona game are at the bottom of the article at Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/film-study-oline-grades-dallas/news/)

Lucky
09-01-2010, 12:27 AM
There are legal issues regarding the cutting of injured players under contract: he would have to be cleared to play or a settlement has to be reached before they can cut him.
I understand that. What I'm asking is, why wouldn't the Texans offer Davis an injury settlement?

ChampionTexan
09-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I understand that. What I'm asking is, why wouldn't the Texans offer Davis an injury settlement?

Question:

Vested veterans (four years or more in the league) are guaranteed their full years base salary if they're on the 53 man roster on opening day. Does this gurantee also apply to vested veterans on a teams IR, and if so, is there any chance AD may be reluctant to reach an injury settlement that is less that his scheduled base pay for 2010? That is to say you can't cut him now without an agreed to settlement because he's injured, and if he stays injured past the first week of the regular season, does his contract for 2010 become guaranteed?

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Wade Smith: in 43 plays, Smith received a total of +14. On 21 passes, he earned +8. On 21 run plays, he earned +6. Smith can whiff and can also get bull-rushed. However, his athleticism is evident and I think he looks very good on the move (either pulling or reaching the second level). He has essentially been named week one starter over Kasey Studdard. I was hopeful going into camp that would happen. However, I think the two have played fairly equitably. The difference may be that Smith is much better on the back side of plays, which is important at LG (because the right side is usually the strong side/playside on zone runs).

When I rewatched the game, I focused on Wade and I was really impressed. Like you said, there were a few whiffs, but the guy's got nimble feet and he can move.

Now, this was against a 3-4. He might not be as good against a 4-3 but I can't see how he's not an upgrade at LG.

thunderkyss
09-01-2010, 03:41 AM
By the way, I don't buy, for one second, that the RG job is still up for grabs. Having said that, I don't understand what Kubiak is trying to accomplish with this sherade... but, I believe it is one.

I thought the position was settled as well, I barely even looked at Caldwell. When GK said it was still an ongoing battle, I was like :wink: whatever.

Then in another thread, you posted several video clips, two of them made me realize I need to go back and watch Caldwell more closely.

On one play, he is very slow off the line, then get's manhandled. On another play, he just gets manhandled.

Correctable no doubt.

But then I saw Brisiel, especially the plays where they pulled him. I think Wade easily wins over Studdard, because I don't think Studdard has that kind of athleticism. I can see Caldwell doing that, but I had to wonder why haven't I seen Caldwell doing that?

Again, maybe I just missed it, since I thought he was a lock... ??????

newtexan
09-01-2010, 06:13 AM
The days of the same ole Texans are over, this young talent is too good to pass on and Kubiak knows it, look for new faces to crack this roster top to bottom, UDFA my @##$, Malcolm Sheppard was a beast in the SEC, this is not a rudy story, he played against Ben Tate, A.caldwell, heck he started as a freshman in the Capital -one bowl against Wisconsin, after thursday nights game look for a couple of rookies to separate themselves.

Ole Miss Texan
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I think we should carry 5 wideouts - Dickerson being the 5th.

I will be very curious to see how our DL shakes out. Okam seems to be the popular choice on the boards. I really hope DelJuan can stay on the roster, what do yall think are his chances?

dalemurphy
09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I think we should carry 5 wideouts - Dickerson being the 5th.

I will be very curious to see how our DL shakes out. Okam seems to be the popular choice on the boards. I really hope DelJuan can stay on the roster, what do yall think are his chances?

Ole Miss, this is from a recent article:

Now, it gets very tricky. The Texans are likely to keep 9 DL. Seven are virtually secured of a spot. One could argue that Frank Okam has not secured a spot but even I will acknowledge he has performed better the past two weeks. And, most guys improving and receiving reps with the first team in the preseason are locks to make the roster. So, two spots remain on the DL for: Jesse Nading, Tim Jamison, Malcolm Sheppard, Deljuan Robinson. Either Jamison or Nading will make the roster. The Texans will keep at least 4 DE. With Antonio Smith’s flexibility, it is possible the Texans decide to keep 5 DE and only 4 DTs. I think that is unlikely though. So, either Nading or Jamison will make the roster and Deljuan or Sheppard will. The Texans could look to stash Sheppard on the practice squad but that would be a significant risk. He has certainly flashed in preseason and has high end playmaking ability. Nading and Jamison are a tough call. We at TBB believe Jamison is the clear choice. I think Jamison could be an 8-10 sack DE as an every down player. However, Nading is steady, reliable, and plays on a lot of special teams’ units. These spots could definitely be determined based on each player’s performance this Thursday. Odds: Sheppard 70%, Deljuan 35%, Nading 55%, Jamison 50%.

Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/bubble-final-edition-guide-tb-preseason-game-interesting/news/texans-news/)

JB
09-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Odds: Sheppard 70%, Deljuan 35%, Nading 55%, Jamison 50%.

105% total odds for each position? :thinking:

drs23
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Quit ciphering and carrying the naughts JB! :)

steelbtexan
09-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Yeah I was begining to wonder if my math skills were failing me?

J_R
09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Marc Vandermeer: Final 53 comes down to this (http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1414)

JB
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Marc Vandermeer: Final 53 comes down to this (http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1414)

Kinda simplified, but it is strange he makes no mention of Robinson, Nading or Jamison. Unless he was counting Nading and Jamison as part of his 5 DE.

steelbtexan
09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Kinda simplified, but it is strange he makes no mention of Robinson, Nading or Jamison. Unless he was counting Nading and Jamison as part of his 5 DE.

Vandermeer is kinda strange. IMHO

LOL

dalemurphy
09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

I took into account, the possibility of keeping more at one position than I am anticipating and/or one of the guys I have as keepers being surprisingly let go... like Okam, on the DLine.

newtexan
09-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Could they possibly keep 5 DT's and only 4 DE's, to me that would be the smartest move because Sheppard is interchangeable and could easily play DE if needed.

newtexan
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Could they possibly keep 5 DT's and only 4 DE's, to me that would be the smartest move because Sheppard is interchangeable and could easily play DE if needed.

steelbtexan
09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I took into account, the possibility of keeping more at one position than I am anticipating and/or one of the guys I have as keepers being surprisingly let go... like Okam, on the DLine.

Gotcha

Hopefully they will keep Sheppard,Robinson and Jamison. I think they will keep Okam instead of your guy Robinson. Sheppard and Jamison should make the team. IMHO

dalemurphy
09-01-2010, 09:57 PM

I think that is what they will do. However, if they do that, then they will have to cut either Nading and Jamison. I imagine there will be some heated arguments over those guys and I can envision the possibility that they keep both and consider sneaking Sheppard on to the practice squad.

dalemurphy
09-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Gotcha

Hopefully they will keep Sheppard,Robinson and Jamison. I think they will keep Okam instead of your guy Robinson. Sheppard and Jamison should make the team. IMHO

I think you are right about Okam and Robinson.

I am worried about Jamison and Sheppard. I fear that Nading has a decent shot to take one of their spots. He's servicable at DE and he plays on almost every special teams group.

newtexan
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Putting Sheppard on PC would be a farewell move and Kubiak knows it, he'll be picked off instantly.

JB
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Putting Sheppard on PC would be a farewell move and Kubiak knows it, he'll be picked off instantly.

ok fanboy :rolleyes:

newtexan
09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
fan boy or not, it's a fact .

JB
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM

No. It is not a fact, it is your opinion.

DexmanC
09-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I just don't see Sheppard clearing waivers. He reminds me a lot
of Earl Cochran. Invisible guy who just makes plays.

newtexan
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
That's what the message board is all about, opinions..... you have yours,....i have mine,....enjoy it , but why is an UDFA still in the mix if its just my opinion ?, after thusdays game you'll see why this guy is still around.

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2010, 11:53 PM
That's what the message board is all about, opinions..... you have yours,....i have mine,....enjoy it , but why is an UDFA still in the mix if its just my opinion ?, after thusdays game you'll see why this guy is still around.

It's OK to have an opinion and to have players that you like that you want to make the team.

Personally, last year I was really excited about 3 UDFA's: Tim Jamison, Arian Foster, and Jeremiah Johnson. Before that, there was Zabransky and Tim Bulman and so on and so forth. This year, I'm really pulling for Sheppard. I think the kid's good and he could be very good for us. Heck, I'm really excited about all our draft picks this year.

And every year there are guys that we say "Oh, if so and so gets waived, he's going to get picked up immediately. We'll never be able to stuff him on the practice squad." And so far, we've never been right about that. They've been able to stuff lots of promising players on the PS.

Maybe Sheppard makes it to the PS, maybe he doesn't have to, maybe he ends up on another squad. I'd be sad to lose him. (But I've also still got high hopes for Jamison.) But you seem to be really unnaturally focused on Sheppard. It's almost creepy how you post about the guy.

thunderkyss
09-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I feel the same way about Shelly Smith. I think he's our future Center.

newtexan
09-02-2010, 01:17 AM
You guys kill me with this creepy stuff, i actually know the guy from college, he's a playmaker, and will bring a level of intensity to the D-line that will keep ya million dollar starters looking over their shoulders.

J_R
09-02-2010, 08:23 AM
McClain has set out (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7182423.html)his version the projected 53 man roster.

-Has 2 QBs
-Andre Davis cut, Dorin Dickerson in
-9 O-linemen including Shelley Smith
-8 D-linemen including Okam and Jamison(excluding Nading, Robinson, Sheppard)
-7 LBs including Isaiah Greenhouse
-3 specialists including Rackers and LS Jon Weeks
-Roster exemption for Cushing
-TE Anthony Hill to PUP

El Tejano
09-02-2010, 08:39 AM
We need to let go of Anthony Hill and make room for someone who is going to play.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
We need to let go of Anthony Hill and make room for someone who is going to play.

What's wrong with putting him on PUP?

Scooter
09-02-2010, 08:57 AM

agreed. if we need to go heavy just put leach or barwin or butler (or swap butler and brown) at the inside tightend, and let casey lead block if it's leach.

a veteran such as bruener i like as a heavy specialist, but hill is an injured special teamer that even healthy would only see 5 offensive plays. even without hill, we have atleast 7 players on the roster who played tightend in college (3TE's, 1 DE, 1 FB, 1 WR, 1 LT) - half of which can play the heavy.

TimeKiller
09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
McClain has set out (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7182423.html) his version the projected 53 man roster.

-Has 2 QBs
-8 D-linemen including Okam and Jamison(exlcuding Nading, Robinson, Sheppard)
-TE Anthony Hill to PUP

If this is all accurate I gotta say I approve of AD getting cut, DD taking his place, keeping SSmith and PUPing Hill....but sending Sheppard out is a mistake in my book. Especially to keep some LB I'VE even never heard of. Also to keep a LS. Waste.

J_R
09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
agreed. if we need to go heavy just put leach or barwin or butler (or swap butler and brown) at the inside tightend, and let casey lead block if it's leach.

a veteran such as bruener i like as a heavy specialist, but hill is an injured special teamer that even healthy would only see 5 offensive plays. even without hill, we have atleast 7 players on the roster who played tightend in college (3TE's, 1 DE, 1 FB, 1 WR, 1 LT) - half of which can play the heavy.

Eric Winston a former TE
Believe Butler was also former TE
Duane Brown a former TE
Steve Maneri a former TE

Scooter
09-02-2010, 09:16 AM
McClain has set out (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7182423.html) his version the projected 53 man roster.

-Has 2 QBs
-8 D-linemen including Okam and Jamison(exlcuding Nading, Robinson, Sheppard)
-TE Anthony Hill to PUP

i like the andre davis cut, his version of fast doesnt equate to explosive anymore - something jacoby embodies and dickerson, slaton, and mcmannis can easily replace. i like including greenhouse, someone will inevitably earn their keep on special teams and greenhouse is that guy ... dude looks to be 120% hustle. i'm hesitant on weeks. i'm exceptionally in favor of keeping special teams specialists (was rooting heavily for holliday and still have huge expectations), but i dont know anything about weeks, and without noticing who was making the snaps we had a few less than accurate against dallas.

as for the 2 quarterbacks, i'm not sure i believe that. i've been heavily in outaboundsky's corner, but i'm losing faith. granted we havent seen him throw to andre, daniels, and walter with brown and winston blocking, but he just seems slow - something our playcalling (more than almost any other team) should fix. if booty performs this weekend, i think we'll carry 3, with booty being the backup in deja vu to last season.

Scooter
09-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Eric Winston a former TE
Believe Butler was also former TE
Duane Brown a former TE
Steve Maneri a former TE

nice, i'd forgotten about winston and wasnt sure about butler. only reinforcing the point that unless we have a true specialist (which an injured hill isnt), we have more than enough talent and experience to fill the role.

rmartin65
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
You guys kill me with this creepy stuff, i actually know the guy from college, he's a playmaker, and will bring a level of intensity to the D-line that will keep ya million dollar starters looking over their shoulders.

There it is! Finally, we understand.

Look, I get man-crushes on players too. I probably over-value them (*cough*Gerhart*cough*), but I do my best not to let that mess up my evaluations too much.

The fact of the matter is, all 32 teams passed on him, for a total of 255 passes.

It is not a death sentence for his career, but it does mean that, odds are, teams are not enamored with him. UDFAs go to the PS often. Hell, our starting RB this year went on the PS last year.

Also, it is not surprising to see UDFAs "in the mix" this late in the pre-season. Only 5 people have been trimmed, and for the Texans 2 of those are on IR. There are still 8 first year UDFAs-

FB Jack Corcoran
LB Isaiah Greenhouse
LT Steve Maneri
LB Will Patterson
T Cole Pemberton
FS Nicholas Polk
DT Malcolm Sheppard
DT/DE Mitch Unrein
S Torri Williams

By my estimation (taking into accounts my views, members on the board's views, and stuff released by HT.com), the players in bold are "in the mix" for a roster spot.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Keep in mind that virtually every other NFL team has a guy or two (or more) that is their Sheppard, that is their Dorin Dickerson. Guys that they like a lot, guys they think could have a future in the league, guys that are right there straddling the line for getting on the 53 man rosters, or coming back as a PS member.

They've seen these guys at practice virtually every day for more than a month, and in most cases OTA's and mini-camps all off-season.

I'm not here to evaluate Sheppard's skills and abilities, or to predict what his career in the league could be - it appears there's a pretty decent chance he makes the final 53. I'm just saying that if the Texans do put him on waivers after all they've seen, there's not another team in the league that's going to cut someone who'd otherwise make the 53 man roster to make room for a guy they passed on 5 or 6 or 7 times in the draft, and have seen precious little of since.

And that's not a fact, just a thoughtfully developed opinion.

Rey
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I would not be keeping a LS...Sorry...There are guys on the roster who can do it...

This long snapper must be getting his balls to the punter much faster than Dreesen or Casey if they are considering doing this.

Rey
09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Keep in mind that virtually every other NFL team has a guy or two (or more) that is their Sheppard, that is their Dorin Dickerson. Guys that they like a lot, guys they think could have a future in the league, guys that are right there straddling the line for getting on the 53 man rosters, or coming back as a PS member.

But not all those guys play the same position as Sheppard or Dorin.

That'd be like some team trying to sneak a talented young RB onto their PS...Odds are, the Texans or some team short on RB's would pick them up...

Teams are obviously looking at our cut downs..look at how quickly Bennett and Egboh were claimed...

My gut is telling me that the Texans are going to keep Sheppard. But if they don't I won't be terribly upset. I will just hope that he makes it to, and last on our practice squad for the duration of the year.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
But not all those guys play the same position as Sheppard or Dorin.

That'd be like some team trying to sneak a talented young RB onto their PS...Odds are, the Texans or some team short on RB's would pick them up...

Teams are obviously looking at our cut downs..look at how quickly Bennett and Egboh were claimed...

My gut is telling me that the Texans are going to keep Sheppard. But if they don't I won't be terribly upset. I will just hope that he makes it to, and last on our practice squad for the duration of the year.

I think the odds are they keep Sheppard too, and I'll be more than okay with that. Part of what I'm saying is that the Texans should have a better idea than you or I (or New Texan) whether Sheppard would get picked up, and if they believe he will, their more likely to keep him. If they waive him, it means they either don't think he'll get picked up, or they're willing to lose him. Of course if their willing to lose him that means that chances are very good no other team is going to claim him, so you get into a little bit of a circular argument at that point.

As far as Bennett and Egboh are concerned, teams picked them up when they had 75 roster spots to work with - cut that down by 22 and I think it would be a different story. Bennett may stick with the Chargers - or someone else. My guess is Egboh ends up on someone's practice squad - maybe the Texans.

C Madd
09-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Looks like Johnson solidified his roster spot.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Texans' website confirms that Jeremiah Johnson has been promoted to No. 3 on the running back depth chart, ahead of Chris Henry.
Johnson, averaging 5.4 yards per preseason carry, has sewn up a roster spot, helped in part by Steve Slaton's turf toe. A one-cut back who plays faster than his 4.6 forty time indicates, he's worth rostering in Dynasty leagues.

newtexan
09-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Good fair arguments i must say, but i believe tonights game will make or break the players we're talking about,.. keeping 7 LB's makes no sense to me,... keeping 5 DT's make better sense because this defense will be defined by the DL's ability to pressure the QB, so you need fresh bodies for this rotation, tonight SHEPPARD will play more than ever, watch for yourself and see if i've over-hyped him.:goodpost:

JB
09-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Good fair arguments i must say, but i believe tonights game will make or break the players we're talking about,.. keeping 7 LB's makes no sense to me,... keeping 5 DT's make better sense because this defense will be defined by the DL's ability to pressure the QB, so you need fresh bodies for this rotation, tonight SHEPPARD will play more than ever, watch for yourself and see if i've over-hyped him.:goodpost:

You're giving yourself the "good post" sign?

:facepalm: newtexan!

76Texan
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM

haha, I love it!
If there's a campaign or telethon of some short, I highly recommend you (for real)!

BSofA04
09-02-2010, 11:27 PM
listening to Kubiak in the postgame presser, he doesn't sound like he knows who's going to be kicking for us this year.

J_R
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Believe Rackers got this job.

Kubiak in the presser:

What about K?

Toughest one I've ever made. Gotta make a decision and do what you think is best for team. Both are classy. NOt looking forward to it.

I may be reading too much into it but..toughest decision he's ever made? Signals to me that Brown is gone. How tough is it to cut a guy that you've known for only a few months?

dalemurphy
09-03-2010, 12:30 AM
believe rackers got this job.

Kubiak in the presser:

I may be reading too much into it but..toughest decision he's ever made? Signals to me that brown is gone. How tough is it to cut a guy that you've known for only a few months?

exactly!

J_R
09-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Question: Does Jacques Reeves make this team or rather survive the cuts? Same for McManis?

JCTexan
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Question: Does Jacques Reeves make this team or rather survive the cuts? Same for McManis?

I think Mcmanis does. Not quite sure about Reeves.

edo783
09-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I think Mcmanis does. Not quite sure about Reeves.

Before tonight, I would have said Reeves makes it. After tonight, I pretty much doubt it.