PDA

View Full Version : OD cleared to play!!!!

stevn8r
08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm so excited and happy for him (and us as fans) to see him on opening day!:bravo: Plus Dressen looked really good last week (one of the few bright spots!
:fans:
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6305

valleytexfan
08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Finally, some good preseason news!! :texanbill:

will742
08-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Yesssssss!

http://www.blindsociety.com/blindspot/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/napoleon_dynamite.jpg

Thorn
08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
good news. :clap:

El Tejano
08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I still wish we had OD when we played Indy last year. Glad he will be there this year.

beerlover
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Texans should get back a huge chunk of their offense :cool:

HJam72
08-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Can't bring it for the preseason, huh? What a wuss. :jk:

TexansBlood
08-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Finally:hurrah:

Dutchrudder
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Hooray!

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Great news. We're stacked at TE: Owen Daniels, Joel Dreessen, James Casey, Garrett Graham. Throw in AJ, Walter, Jacoby and David Anderson and we've got a plethora (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik) of receiving talent!

Seņor Stan
08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
<<<<<Did you say we have a plethora?

disaacks3
08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
<<<<<Did you say we have a plethora?
I think he meant a cornucopia.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Owen wears many hats on this team, like we always knew. But Kubiak keeps us eloquently informed,:truck: "He's a good YOUNG MAN" "No KID'S worked harder" "He's a FINE PLAYER."

BIG TORO
08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Wecome to Texans Airlines, home of the most talent in the air, please fasten your seatbelts as we get ready for departure, we will be arriving in Dallas on schedule for Superbowl Sunday February 6, 2011, there will be some bumpy moments, but dont worry we will arrive there safely with clear skies and an amped up Texans team ready to trample over any one who stands in their way of the champioship. So once again make sure you fasten your seat belts and enjoy your flight, it's going t be a long one.

ATXtexanfan
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
sweeto

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Hey! You leave fictional islands out of this! :fingergun:

badboy
08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Also glad to have another seasoned vet who can settle players down in sticky situations. I put OD right up there with JJ in maturity and wisdom.

stevn8r
08-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm really curious to see what is going to happen opening day...
Is Dressen going to get the start? do a little OD test? A lot more 2 TE sets?
I do not have any Rick Dennison experience to draw from, and I still don't know how OD made it back to the playing field in less than a year with that kind of injury! I'm just sure glad he did!

False Start
08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
:yes:

HuttoKarl
08-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Can Thor play LB? :runaway:

Thorn
08-25-2010, 05:49 PM

When playing the old DOS game Ascendancy, cornucopia is the best planet type avaliable.

K.D.
08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
This is great news!!!:clap:

TimeKiller
08-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Hell yes. TE is disgustingly deep. Dreessen's a good all rounder and Casey has always done well in limited time. We just need to sign Mark Bruener so we'll have a good blocking TE to keep inactive.....

b0ng
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't see why OD shouldn't be seeing the bulk of the snaps on offense in week 1. He's got 2-3 weeks to get up to speed on any new wrinkles in the offense, and to get timing down with Matt. Dreesen played well after a few weeks of being the starter, but he's not OD, and I don't think he can be because his hands are just not as solid.

If the coaches see Owen not getting it as quick as they would like, or not being as effective then yes, I say Dreesen should get more plays. Unless reports start coming out that point to this, I can't imagine him not playing the TE1 spot in the offense.

MEGA SWATT
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
awesome!!

Dwade
08-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Awesome! If he can stay healthy all year our pass attack will be that much better.

Wolf6151
08-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I think this is great for the team but I see a log jam at TE. OD is a probowler, Dreesen has been playing very well in his absence, Casey is playing very well in limited time and showing lots of promise for the future, Graham is also playing well in limited time and may be the future of the position. I can see OD or Dreesen being used as trade bait at the end of the season especially if they start having contract issues.

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2010, 08:10 AM
610 radio revealed the nature of the "setback" that OD had experienced a while back. He had sustained a "stress fracture" of the patella. That would account for the need for a "rest period."

Texanfan4ever
08-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Welcome back OD! We sure did miss you!!!!! :smiliedance: :pop:

BigBull17
08-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Can Thor play LB? :runaway:

He played saftey at Rice, so maybe.

GP
08-26-2010, 09:54 AM
610 radio revealed the nature of the "setback" that OD had experienced a while back. He had sustained a "stress fracture" of the patella. That would account for the need for a "rest period."

Hmmmm....I really figured we would have heard about this back when it happened. [/sarcasm for tailgate. just ribbin' ya' so don't get mad at me]

JWarren14
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Really glad he is back and he brings a lot of play making ability to the TE position.

Debbie Downer - He seems to have a pretty long injury history if I recall correctly, could this be the last year of OD in a Texans Uni? He is going to get paid no matter what.

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Hmmmm....I really figured we would have heard about this back when it happened. [/sarcasm for tailgate. just ribbin' ya' so don't get mad at me]

There was evidently some doubt at the time that the fracture was diagnosed that it could heal with conservative nonsurgical intervention with a relatively short additional rehab.

The cause of the stress fracture was probably a combination of the ACL repair (occurs during approximately 5%) and over-vigorous rehab/strengthening of the quad muscles.

In many ACL repairs, a piece of the bone is "chiseled" out on either side of the tendon graft in order to attach the graft more securely and reliably in a bone-to-bone rather than a direct tendon-to-bone technique. During that graft harvesting (chiseling), the patella (knee cap) can sustain a hairline (stress) fracture.

http://www.memorialhermann.org/adam/graphics/images/en/21746.jpg

From this illustration, it should be evident how the strong pull created by a very well or overdeveloped set of quad muscles could lead to further extension of the weak area of existing stress fracture (like a windshield crack), or if ignored even an overt classical fracture, which could separate and displace. The latter would require an open surgical screw or wire repair with much longer rehab and potentially much more long term performance implications.

The problem with OD's case is that despite him being "healed," even his own surgeon will probably tend to close his eyes anytime there is a severe direct blow to his knee cap in a game. I am sure that he will wear some very extensive padding around his patella. Although it may never occur, refracture in such a case is a real concern.

HOU-TEX
08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
That's some awesome information, Cloak. Let me ask you a couple questions, which might be kinda dumb.

1. Why do they graft tendons from the same area which could possibly weaken the joint? And wouldn't this weaken the pateller tendon, causing better chances for injury to an athlete?

2. Where do they take the tendon from if the patient has had multiple ACL's?

3. Why haven't they found ways of taking tendons from the deceased that have been donated for organs?

4. Do you know of any studies from the past or present that might include artificial tendon construction?

I've just been curious lately, especially since all the issues I've had lately.

scourge
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I thought they do take tendons from donors. I was fairly certain that they did for ligaments.

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
That's some awesome information, Cloak. Let me ask you a couple questions, which might be kinda dumb.

1. Why do they graft tendons from the same area which could possibly weaken the joint? And wouldn't this weaken the pateller tendon, causing better chances for injury to an athlete?

2. Where do they take the tendon from if the patient has had multiple ACL's?

3. Why haven't they found ways of taking tendons from the deceased that have been donated for organs?

4. Do you know of any studies from the past or present that might include artificial tendon construction?

I've just been curious lately, especially since all the issues I've had lately.

I thought they do take tendons from donors. I was fairly certain that they did for ligaments.

There are 3 typical donor sources of tendons in ACL repair.

1]Patellar tendon offers the only source of the most reliable and secure advantage of bone-to-bone repair. To avoid further trauma to the injured side, some surgeons chose to obtain their graft from the opposite knee. The disadvantages are the potential for fracture, inflammation of the patellar tendon (tendonitis), and long term patellar pain and tenderness.

2]Hamstring is an easy harvest away from the repair region. But There is no bone to bone secure repair. The drilling of holes in the bones and intertwining the tendons for proper security is a technical challenge in itself since bone anchoring is not available.

3]Cadaveric (dead people) grafts have the obvious advantage of no donor surgical site. Even though it usually has a relatively low immune response, it still is a “foreign body,” and is associated with increased risk of infection, and increased potential for re-rupture. Even though a very small possibility, hepatitis and HIV transmission cannot be entirely ruled out.

4]Synthetic materials for ACL reconstruction became popular when it was realised that autografted ACLs were fairly weak and vulnerable for up to four months following surgery, with a relatively high risk for rupture and abnormal stretching (stretched-out ACLs, even though they are not completely disrupted, may provide little stabilising support for the knee); synthetic ACLs, in contrast, provide immediate, very strong stabilising support for the knee. In addition, the use of a synthetic replacement means that there will be no donor-site morbidity in the athlete, and the overall surgical process is straightforward and relatively easy. Gore-Tex, Dacron, carbon fibres, and polypropylene braids have been used to create artificial ACLs. However, a key problem associated with synthetic ligaments is that they inevitably demonstrate what surgeons refer to as “creep" the unrecoverable elongation of a material over time after 'multiple cyclic loads' (in other words, a lot of use). Unfortunately, synthetic materials become less functional as time goes on, unlike autografts (taken from the patient's own body), which seem to become stronger after a three- to four-month period. Overall, synthetic ligaments have been linked with relatively high infection high failure rates and persistent inflammation and fluid buildup within the knees of individuals receiving these graft materials.

ubecool454
08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
The tough guy is back!:doot:

2slik4u
08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Great news. We're stacked at TE: Owen Daniels, Joel Dreessen, James Casey, Garrett Graham. Throw in AJ, Walter, Jacoby and David Anderson and we've got a plethora (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik) of receiving talent!

El jefe - Do you even know what a plethora is??????

other guy - Im sorry el jefe, i do nooot match up to your superior iiiiiintelleect.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Knee-deep in doubt? Not anymore (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7173653.html)
By RICHARD JUSTICE

At times the last couple of months that return seemed uncertain, if not doubtful.

"I don't think I've ever taken it for granted," Daniels said. "But if there was even an ounce of that, it's definitely not there anymore. I'm going to cherish every moment of being out here, being with the guys. To have it almost taken away would have been tough to deal with."

He was on his way to a second straight Pro Bowl-caliber season last year when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the eighth game. At the time, he was on a pace for 80 catches, 10 touchdowns and 1,000 yards, this coming after a 70-catch, 862-yard Pro Bowl season in 2008.

And we haven't gotten to the really bad news yet.

That came last spring when soreness developed in the right knee just as his rehabilitation was speeding up. In the beginning, he tried to push through the pain, thinking it was part of the knee's natural healing process.

'We were shocked'
When Daniels finally sought a diagnosis in May, a stress fracture in the kneecap was discovered.

"We think it started with something really small and gradually progressed," he said. "I was still rehabbing hard and running routes and everything like that. We're glad we found it when we did. It could have been much worse."

Was he scared?

"Absolutely," he said. "We were blindsided by it. We were expecting to see a little inflammation. We were shocked. It was a type of thing Dr. (James) Andrews hadn't seen hardly ever. Dr. (Walter) Lowe hadn't seen it."

Daniels flew around the country, and of the "eight or nine" doctors he saw, five of them recommended surgery to implant screws to speed up and secure the healing. But a second surgery might mean missing the 2010 season — or worse.

"That was tough to swallow," he said. "Dr. Andrews wanted to see if it would heal on its own. That's the route we took, and I'm glad we did that. I don't know how it happened. I think it was something meant to happen. It could have very easily broken all the way through. We were playing with fire there for a while."

Once the decision was made to rest the knee, Daniels was ordered to rest for two months. And the first exam, after four weeks, showed the bone wasn't healing. Did his career flash before his eyes?

"Sure," he said. "The most important thing I was looking forward to was coming back for this season and being part of what we've got going on. The whole career part was kind of secondary. I didn't know when I'd be able to come back out and be able to play. That was a tough thing to deal with.

"For two months, I couldn't life any weights, I couldn't jog, I couldn't ride a bike. That really tested my patience. They were doing everything they could for me. All the bone stimulators they had. All the supplements, all the Vitamin D they could give me. It definitely could have been worse. I'm happy to be back where I am right now."

Now his knee appears strong and sound, and the Texans believe he'll be back on the practice field Monday. He's hoping to get "banged around" next week in practice and may lobby Kubiak to allow him to make a brief appearance in the final preseason game.

The incidence of patellar stress fracture following ACL repair is felt to be an under reported complication in the orthopedic literature. A high degree of awareness/suspicion of this event can avoid the consequences of late diagnosis. Choosing the nonsurgical approach carries with it the increased risk of refracture following a direct blow to the knee cap in comparison to the surgical approach. However, if this complication is avoided, it does indeed carry with it a lesser risk of other long term significant sequellae with potential career implications.

houstonspartan
08-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I hate to say it, but, I'm a little worried about all of this praise we're heaping on OD. I love the guy, and am glad to see him back, but, in the Chron today Kubiak was basically saying he's the heart of the team, and apparently he got a standing ovation from the players, blah, blah, blah.

That's all fine and good, but, I learned my lesson with Dunta. When he was injured, everybody - fans, media, coaches, players - made it clear that he was the heart of the team. That created a monster with a large ego.

Again, I love me some OD, but I'm not about to call him the heart of our team.

HOU-TEX
08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks again, Cloak. :tiphat:

Big Lou
08-27-2010, 01:48 PM
El jefe - Do you even know what a plethora is??????

other guy - Im sorry el jefe, i do nooot match up to your superior iiiiiintelleect.

Hey your cutting in to Senor Stan's material!!!!

stevn8r
08-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I hate to say it, but, I'm a little worried about all of this praise we're heaping on OD. I love the guy, and am glad to see him back, but, in the Chron today Kubiak was basically saying he's the heart of the team, and apparently he got a standing ovation from the players, blah, blah, blah.

That's all fine and good, but, I learned my lesson with Dunta. When he was injured, everybody - fans, media, coaches, players - made it clear that he was the heart of the team. That created a monster with a large ego.

Again, I love me some OD, but I'm not about to call him the heart of our team.

Dunta was a lil ***** though...OD has been a class act that can actually play!

DexmanC
08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Dunta was a lil ***** though...OD has been a class act that can actually play!

The main difference is we've got several OD clones with better
blocking in Casey and Graham. I ain't ****tin' on OD, but he's not
as important to the offense as Schaub or Dre.

houstonspartan
08-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Dunta was a lil ***** though...

LOL! True that, true that.

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
From Houston Texans Twitter:

Owen Daniels / Daniels to return Monday http://fsp.gs/btWN4Z #NFL #HOU
about 12 hours ago via Fantasy Sports

Owen Daniels / Coach Gary Kubiak said that the best-case scenario regarding Daniel's (knee) Week 1 playing http://fsp.gs/aRh3ko #NFL #HOU

Owen Daniels / Texans coach Gary Kubiak revealed Sunday that Owen Daniels (knee) will play just 15-20 snaps http://fsp.gs/dxCQgj #NFL #HOU

TimeKiller
08-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Some OD is better than No OD. 'sides, Dreesen is a horse that can be counted on and Casey isn't far behind and Graham isn't far behind that. We've got a really nice situation at TE, all the jokes included.

Thought:
Does a returning, healthy OD offset the loss of Cushing for 4 games? Lose 1 Probowler, Get 1 back?