PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson listed as second best player overall in the NFL

gtexan02
08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Guess who's first?

Yup, Peyton Manning.

Anyway, pretty good list overall. Heres the top 10

1. Peyton Manning
2. Andre Johnson
3. Darrelle Revis
3 (tied). DeMarcus Ware
3 (tied). Drew Brees
3 (tied). Joe Thomas
3 (tied). Larry Fitzgerald
3 (tied). Nnamdi Asomugha
3 (tied). Patrick Willis
3 (tied). Tom Brady

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting

jaayteetx
08-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I love me some Andre, but Revis seems to do a good job shutting AJ down, so I might have to put him ahead of AJ right now.

infantrycak
08-25-2010, 12:24 PM
I love me some Andre, but Revis seems to do a good job shutting AJ down, so I might have to put him ahead of AJ right now.

They have only played one time against each other and the pass rush was the much bigger problem that day.

JB
08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
They have only played one time against each other and the pass rush was the much bigger problem that day.

Bingo!

HOU-TEX
08-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Exactly. We were definitely not ready for their type of "exotic" blitzes.

brakos82
08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Having an 8-way tie for 3rd is kinda cheating IMO.

dream_team
08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
AJ certainly deserves to be on that list. But I doubt the validity of that list with no Chris Johnson or Adrian Petersen.

JB
08-25-2010, 12:47 PM
AJ certainly deserves to be on that list. But I doubt the validity of that list with no Chris Johnson or Adrian Petersen.

They are both on the list

IDEXAN
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Very interesting.
As a Texans fan I'm delighted that AJ gets some recognition that he deserves but as we all know too often fails to get. On the down side it's still gotta hurt that we left both Revis & Willis on the Board and took Okoye instead.
There's so many guys not in the top 10 that could be there, but the ones that are there are derseving so what are you gonna do. Just one player I question being rated on that very exclusive list: Joe Thomas ?

gtexan02
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM

They are tied at number 11

JB
08-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Very interesting.
As a Texans fan I'm delighted that AJ gets some recognition that he deserves but as we all know too often fails to get. On the down side it's still gotta hurt that we left both Revis & Willis on the Board and took Okoye instead.
There's so many guys not in the top 10 that could be there, but the ones that are there are derseving so what are you gonna do. Just one player I question being rated on that very exclusive list: Joe Thomas ?

I have seen a lot of reports that have Joe Thomas as the #1 OT in the game. In fact Scouts Inc. has him as #1 by a pretty good margin over Long & Clady.

DiehardChris
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
How do they have Revis ahead of Aso? Aso's been doing it at the same (or higher) level than Revis, and he's doing it with FAR less pass rush.

JB
08-25-2010, 01:17 PM
How do they have Revis ahead of Aso? Aso's been doing it at the same (or higher) level than Revis, and he's doing it with FAR less pass rush.

They have them tied but yeah. I would probably have Aso a bit higher.

El Tejano
08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe we will start to get some flags in our favor like Manning does.

HJam72
08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
I got so ticked when we didn't take Revis that I haven't paid any attention to the draft since. That's when I really knew that watching that will never make me happy. I'm no expert, and I know that of course, but....well, anyway, that was one I really wanted and now I can be all conceited about it. :)

IDEXAN
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I have seen a lot of reports that have Joe Thomas as the #1 OT in the game. In fact Scouts Inc. has him as #1 by a pretty good margin over Long & Clady.
Yea, but see I hear more about Clady in the last couple years since he came into league than any OT. And Long ? A RT impersonating a LT. FWIW.

TexanSam
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I got so ticked when we didn't take Revis that I haven't paid any attention to the draft since. That's when I really knew that watching that will never make me happy. I'm no expert, and I know that of course, but....well, anyway, that was one I really wanted and now I can be all conceited about it. :)

To think we could have had Patrick Willis :(

I know he and DeMeco both play the same position...but something could have been figured out!

DexmanC
08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

It's easy to shut Andre down, when Jenkins is tossing Chris Myers on
his ass, and getting into Schaub's face. Revis's performance was
a large result of Rex Ryan's relentless pass-rushing schemes, and the
pussified blocking of the Texans that day.

Bottom line, don't give Revis too much credit.

DexmanC
08-25-2010, 03:10 PM

The regime thought Amobi was the second coming of Warren Sapp.
Who knew?

gtexan02
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
It's easy to shut Andre down, when Jenkins is tossing Chris Myers on
his ass, and getting into Schaub's face. Revis's performance was
a large result of Rex Ryan's relentless pass-rushing schemes, and the
pussified blocking of the Texans that day.

Bottom line, don't give Revis too much credit.

I dont know.... Revis shut down every single #1 receiver he played against, IIRC

DexmanC
08-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I dont know.... Revis shut down every single #1 receiver he played against, IIRC

AJ blew up every #1 corner when the O-line wasn't being tossed around.
That's what I DO know.

Dwade
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

I know he and DeMeco both play the same position...but something could have been figured out!

If we had Willis, forget DeMeco. He is very good, but he is not on Willis' level. Willis is insane

Spled
08-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Where's Chris Johnson and Steve Hutchinson?

dream_team
08-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Sorry. What I meant was not on the list copied in the forum. In other words, not part of that massive tie for 3rd.

b0ng
08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Yea, but see I hear more about Clady in the last couple years since he came into league than any OT. And Long ? A RT impersonating a LT. FWIW.

Joe Thomas made the Derek Anderson2Braylon Edwards connection look formidable enough for Pro Bowl invites. Don't let Clevelands assbackwards front office fool you, if they ever got a competent QB he would make them look all-world much like Clady has done for Kyle Orton. He also was integral in Jamaal Lewis not looking old and washed-up for his brief stay in Cleveland. I'd have no problem saying Clady and Thomas were close enough in skill level to be interchangeable though. As far as Long goes, I don't see Henne getting his brains beaten in by pass rushers during games. I think the whole RT thing for him comes from knocks he had during the draft and the Dolphins running their fancy Wildcat with success. Maybe not as good as Clady and Thomas as a pass protector but certainly makes up for it in the run game.

Remember, just because a player has gotten kudos recently doesn't mean he's the current best. If I had to choose a left tackle out of those 3 guys to protect Schaub, it'd probably be Thomas.

Kulluminatii
08-25-2010, 07:14 PM

Totally agree. Revis did have a better season last year, but he was thrown to 111 times whereas Nnamdi only had 28 passes thrown his way. I think this season will show once and for all who is the best CB in the game. Why am I so confident? Well, lets just say the Raiders are finally going to start using Nnamdi to his fullest potential :fingergun:.

Nnamdi Asomugha to play both sides (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5471178)
NAPA, Calif. -- While Darrelle Revis continues his holdout with the New York Jets in hopes of a new contract befitting a player many think is the best cornerback in the NFL, Nnamdi Asomugha is working on taking that title back.

The Oakland Raiders finally appear willing to let him, too.

After being tethered almost exclusively to the right side of Oakland's secondary, the two-time Pro Bowl defensive back is getting his freedom and will roam the field covering opponents' top receiver no matter where he lines up.

It's a change in strategy and philosophy for the Raiders and the man-to-man coverages favored by owner Al Davis, a change the 29-year-old Asomugha fully embraces.

"Every year there are times when it happens but this year I just think it will happen more because we're doing it [in practice] more and they're allowing it to happen more," Asomugha said this week. "Me being able to play in the slot on third down ... I've wanted that for a while."

Asomugha was widely recognized as the top defensive back in the league when he grabbed a career-high eight interceptions in 2006 and garnered his first Pro Bowl selection. Opponents became so frustrated they nearly quit throwing to Asomugha's side of the field entirely.

In 2009, quarterbacks attempted only 28 passes in Asomugha's direction compared to 111 for Revis. The lack of action cemented Asomugha's reputation in the eyes of some but created doubt among others.

That's why the eight-year veteran is welcoming his new role after flirting with it periodically throughout his career.

"There are so many times when I feel like I'm having the game of my life and no one knows it," Asomugha said. "That's rough. No one sees it. The offenses see it, the people that watch film see it but the fans don't see it."

Not that Asomugha is motivated by public opinion, though he could easily make a career change and enter politics if he wanted. He has rubbed elbows with presidents and other world dignitaries, is a mentor to teens and is deeply involved in numerous charity and volunteer efforts in the Bay Area.

Asomugha is also the face of Oakland's defense. While Richard Seymour has the championships and Tommy Kelly has the money, it's Asomugha who commands the most respect on and off the field.

Still, there are many who believe Revis is the better cornerback. His current holdout was reportedly sparked by his desire to get a better contract than the $45.3 million, three-year deal Asomugha received in 2009.

Asomugha has stayed above the fray when it comes to talk of him and Revis. Instead, he's focused on his new role and trying to help the Raiders snap out of a seven-year funk that coincided with Asomugha's arrival as a first-round pick out of Cal in 2003.

"Some of it is just being able to get him comfortable on both sides because of all the slot formations and corner over [the top]," Oakland coach Tom Cable said. "Some of it has to do with him maybe lining up on the best receiver."

Asomugha has matched up against opponents' top receivers periodically throughout his career. Last season he held Denver's Brandon Marshall without a catch in the first half before the Raiders altered their coverages in the second half. He also held Baltimore's Derek Mason to one catch in their season-ending matchup.

The Raiders hope he can do more of that this season now that he'll be shadowing opponents' top receiver.

"We're doing more things, and I love it," Asomugha said. "I've been inside, I've been outside, both sides. It looks like it won't be a thing that's selective based off who we're playing. It's just going to be a thing that we can do whenever we want ... and that's great. It gets me more involved."

The Autumn wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea
With a rollicking song he sweeps along
Swaggering boisterously

His face is weather beaten
He wears a hooded sash

With his silver hat about his head
And a bristly black moustache

He growls as he storms the country
A villain big and bold

And the trees all shake and quiver and quake
As he robs them of their gold

The Autumn wind is a Raider
Pillaging just for fun

He'll knock you 'round and upside down
And laugh when he's conquered and won

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0824/nfl_cm_Raider_300.gif

Man I can't wait to see the rematch between these two beasts in week 4!:hurrah:

http://nfldownunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/1a.JPG

disaacks3
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
For anybody needing a reminder on what kind of beast we have in Andre....Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcmVJM56Zg)

Dwade
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
For anybody needing a reminder on what kind of beast we have in Andre....Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcmVJM56Zg)

Yes he is a beast, but Nnamdi and Revis are otherworldly talent. AJ got shut down by Revis last year.

Andre is the best receiver in the league and he still can't hang with Revis...that shows how good Revis is.

b0ng
08-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Yes he is a beast, but Nnamdi and Revis are otherworldly talent. AJ got shut down by Revis last year.

Andre is the best receiver in the league and he still can't hang with Revis...that shows how good Revis is.

Revis had the honor of playing on the team that is coached by Rex Ryan and anchored by Kris Jenkins. He's not a schmuck but he's certainly no better than Aso on the Raiders.

Dwade
08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Revis had the honor of playing on the team that is coached by Rex Ryan and anchored by Kris Jenkins. He's not a schmuck but he's certainly no better than Aso on the Raiders.

Oh I agree, from what I've seen of Nnamdi I've been very impressed with. I just don't see the Raiders play unless they play the Texans...the Jets are on TV a lot more, and I saw a lot of them last year in the playoffs.

Kulluminatii
08-25-2010, 10:42 PM

Simply amazing, I never tire of watching highlight vids of Andre. I'm hoping you guys can get a SuperBowl win with Andre, it would be a shame to see (IMO) one of the greatest WRs retire without winning anything. I feel the same way with Nnamdi. Hell when I thought we weren't ever going to get any better I actually wanted him to be traded off to a place where he had a chance to win a ring (like Houston). Now that we have gotten better, I hope he retires as a Raider :D.

I'm hoping to see a rematch between Revis and AJ, and I think AJ will do much better this time around. I'm sure Andre has spent hours watching film looking for ways to have the upper hand against Revis.

Yeah, that entire Jets D is really something else. I still doubt they'll reach the SuperBowl anytime soon though :fingergun:.

Big Lou
08-25-2010, 11:02 PM

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

YOU ARE BANNED FROM THIS FORUM!!!

Signed,
Homer

Cush the Great
08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
The Autumn wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea
With a rollicking song he sweeps along
Swaggering boisterously

His face is weather beaten
He wears a hooded sash

With his silver hat about his head
And a bristly black moustache

He growls as he storms the country
A villain big and bold

And the trees all shake and quiver and quake
As he robs them of their gold

The Autumn wind is a Raider
Pillaging just for fun

He'll knock you 'round and upside down
And laugh when he's conquered and won

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0824/nfl_cm_Raider_300.gif

I don't want to come off as a hater or anything but man. That little poem is about the gayest football related thing I've ever seen.

Kulluminatii
08-26-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't want to come off as a hater or anything but man. That little poem is about the gayest football related thing I've ever seen.

Haha bro, I didn't write it. It was written by Steve Sabol when the Raiders were pretty much dominating every other team out there. Its called "The Autumn Wind" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Autumn_Wind) and it was written primarily for this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiVYFueNvQ). I thought it fit perfectly with the Raiders of that time (Jack Tatum & Lyle Alzado to name a few). I'd love it if the Raiders reached that point of dominance again, wouldn't care how many poems they'd write about it if it meant we'd get a few more Lombardis in the process:D.

spurstexanstros
08-26-2010, 09:30 AM

ding ding freaking ding I cant agree more.....I am so tired of AJ's name being mentioned around that dude. I was at the game and Schaub didnt even get a pass off to anyone much less enough for them to say he shut AJ down.

Texan_Bill
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM

I agree!!

Signed,

The Rag Doll (aka Chris Myers).

imatexan
08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
2 best players in the AFC South.

List is pretty accurate but the whole tied thing is a bit annoying, too many players are tied!

Ole Miss Texan
08-26-2010, 05:25 PM
What great news! AJ is such a beast.

Hindsight is always 20/20, especially in regards to the Draft. I remember I was one of the few on these boards saying I wanted Patrick Willis (because Okoye was surely to go to Atlanta) and that I would consider moving Demeco. Or just have Willis play outside. 95% of this board didn't have Willis anywhere near that high and laughed at the thought of drafting him because we had Demeco. But again... it sure is easy to look back. Also, Okoye was thought of very highly and was a favorite on these boards. He was a lock to go top 10 and the easy selection once Atlanta selected the DE from Arkansas, whats his face? And Revis, oh Revis... dude had some nasty punt returns in college too. He would have looke very fine in a Texans uni.

In anycase. Peyton Manning #1, Andre Johnson #2.... I like it.

powerfuldragon
08-28-2010, 12:33 AM
first page of this thread makes me wanna say something about hard knocks, but i'm not that lame.

PapaL
08-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Schaub and Kubes are the only ones that can shut down AJ. I don't care who is lined up across from him. Toss him the ball...what they didn't do when we played OAK.

False Start
08-28-2010, 12:34 PM
AJ getting some recognition with ad campaigns.

Receiver's profile gets national spike (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7175340.html)

Johnson, who expects to play three quarters tonight in the preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys at Reliant Stadium, will soon be seen promoting Verizon Wireless, Muscle Milk and Brand Joy in national ads on television, radio and the Internet as well as in print.

:cool:

thunderkyss
08-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Very interesting.

I hear what you are saying about Willis. But Revis... the Jets seem to be reluctant to give him the kind of money he wants. I wonder how much of his success is because of the scheme.

I'm quite sure he is better than the corners we've had on our roster since 2007, and he may very well be above average, I just wonder if he is as good as we think he is.

thunderkyss
08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Schaub was gimpy because of preseason injury. We threw out half the play-book. REx Ryan and his pressure package didn't help either.

b0ng
08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Schaub was gimpy because of preseason injury. We threw out half the play-book. REx Ryan and his pressure package didn't help either.

I'm not going to try to deflate the Jets outstanding defensive performance against us on Schaub being gimped though. Their blitz packages repeatedly put Meyers on Jenkins mano a mano and it really disrupted everything we tried to do. I can't say that Revis holding coverage on AJ for about 3 - 5 seconds didn't help, but in no way can anybody say that that performance was all Revis's doing.

Hell, Ryan got away with having mediocre CB's in Baltimore for forever, I don't think Revis being out is going to hamper the Jets defense as much as I hope it does.

JDizzle
08-28-2010, 04:50 PM
aj getting some recognition with ad campaigns.

receiver's profile gets national spike (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7175340.html)

:cool:

cut

that

meat

thunderkyss
08-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Their blitz packages repeatedly put Meyers on Jenkins mano a mano and it really disrupted everything we tried to do.

Not exactly. Jenkins went one on one & beat Pitts more frequently than Myers, but I understand it's easier to jump on the scapegoat.