PDA

View Full Version : Texans Sign WR Derrick Townsel

Brando
08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Not big news but news none the less. Probably to fill Holliday's spot/camp body.

Free agent wide receiver Derrick Townsel has signed with the Houston Texans, Townel's agent, Harold Bicknell, announced. Townsel (5-9, 175) caught 153 passes for 1,712 yards and 5 touchdowns during his four-year career at Murray State, where he also returned kicks and punts. Townsel had worked out for the Texans earlier this off-season. Signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars earlier this month, Townsel appeared in the pre-season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, but recorded no statistics. Townsel was released last Tuesday when the Jaguars signed linebacker Rod Wilson.

link (http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/137813-texans-sign-wr-derrick-townsel.html)

KMG 365
08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
The released DE James Wyche per Nick Scurfield's twitter.

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Fringe bodies at this point.

SheTexan
08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
idonno::um::confused: Sorry, makes no sense, even if they cut Holliday. Guess that's why I'm just a lowly fan, who never seems to understand some of the decisions made by our coaching staff. Oh well!

Brando
08-24-2010, 05:14 PM
idonno::um::confused: Sorry, makes no sense, even if they cut Holliday. Guess that's why I'm just a lowly fan, who never seems to understand some of the decisions made by our coaching staff. Oh well!

I don't think they are going to cut Holliday. I think he will be placed on IR.

drs23
08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't think they are going to cut Holliday. I think he will be placed on IR.

He's already there.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6303

Brando
08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
He's already there.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6303

:tiphat: There ya go!

disaacks3
08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
He's just a guy to throw on the field for a few weeks and keep the regulars from getting hurt.

SheTexan
08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
I read this thread before I saw the one where he got put on IR. I still don't understand that move. I'm tired of trying to understand the inner workings of this coaching staff.

b0ng
08-24-2010, 05:37 PM
I read this thread before I saw the one where he got put on IR. I still don't understand that move. I'm tired of trying to understand the inner workings of this coaching staff.

It's either IR, or cut the guy really. The Texans decided that they saw enough out of Holliday to warrant giving him a shot next year so they are going to pay him minimally and keep him off the final 53, as well as keep other teams away from him.

IR'd players cannot practice with the team at all during the season right?

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Just a fringe player that's not going to make the team.

Just a body needed to practice something with. All teams do this at this point in the preseason. If you watch the crawl on NFLN, you'll see lots of fringe players getting cut and signed all over the place.