PDA

View Full Version : Texans' Johnson already making mark on Houston history

Wolf
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI There are many images that come to mind with Houston pro wide receivers.

Charlie Hennigan hauling in 100 catches. Kenny Burrough, all 6-foot-3, 215 pounds of him, striding down the field in his double-zero Columbia blue jersey. Warren Moon's army of Red Gun receivers.

But the most enduring picture for many Houston fans is the most recent. Big, blazing fast Andre Johnson swiping passes in coverage and racing defenders to the end zone. Johnson, of the Houston Texans, was the runaway winner of one receiver spot on the all-time Houston pro team as voted by caller.com readers.

If Johnson played prior to this era, he might be a tight end, at 6-foot-3, 228 pounds. His combination of size and quickness is a rarity, even with the influx of dominant receivers during the past three decades.

Willie Alexander, who played cornerback for the Oilers from 1971 through 1979, can only come up with one player from his era who has a similar game to Johnson -- 6-3 Otis Taylor, a tough, fast Houston native who stood out for the Kansas City Chiefs for 11 seasons.

"I'm glad I don't have to play him," Alexander said. "The way I describe (Johnson) is, metaphorically, like a gorilla and all the players around him trying to stop him are little chimpanzees."

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/aug/24/texans-johnson-already-making-mark-on-houston/

eriadoc
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
"I'm glad I don't have to play him," Alexander said. "The way I describe (Johnson) is, metaphorically, like a gorilla and all the players around him trying to stop him are little chimpanzees."

Signed,

Howard Cosell

Vinnie
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Whatever, Dre is more like a Yeti or Sasquatch.

Giant Tiger
08-24-2010, 09:30 PM
He reminded me of a tank when he scored that touchdown against the Cardinals.

hookinreds
08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Signed,

Howard Cosell
Holy crap I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that part!

HJam72
08-25-2010, 06:24 AM
He's just the G.O.A.T.

b0ng
08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
"Texans' Johnson makes it's mark" does not make me think of football. Not at all.

scourge
08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Whatever, Dre is more like a Yeti or Sasquatch.

... who runs a 4.3

"Texans' Johnson makes it's mark" does not make me think of football. Not at all.

lol

JB
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Scouts Inc. has AJ as the #2 rated player in the NFL, behind only the Forehead!

Ryan
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
stuff like this just makes me cringe when i hear the talking heads sniffing Fitz's jockstrap and calling him the best. Andre proved his worth even before he had a good QB, let's see how much Fitzgerald drops off with Leinart/Anderson.

I shouldnt really care what talking heads think, but we all know this, AJ is a beast.

SheTexan
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
stuff like this just makes me cringe when i hear the talking heads sniffing Fitz's jockstrap and calling him the best. Andre proved his worth even before he had a good QB, let's see how much Fitzgerald drops off with Leinart/Anderson.

I shouldnt really care what talking heads think, but we all know this, AJ is a beast.

Ditto! The best thing about Andre is he's OUR'S!!!