PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton as Kick Returner??

El Tejano
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
He's done well. Even going back to his rookie season he did real well. It's just that I don't feel comfortable with this dude returning kicks when he can't hang on to the ball.

I could just see him going into that pile that everyone always wonders why kicker returners go directly to, getting hit, and coughing up the rock.

Thorn
08-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I get chills, and not good ones, reading this. I don't want Slaton returning kicks until he gets his problem fixed.

But, if he could hang onto the ball, I think he'd make a good returner.

El Tejano
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
I get chills, and not good ones, reading this. I don't want Slaton returning kicks until he gets his problem fixed.

But, if he could hang onto the ball, I think he'd make a good returner.

Me too. Anyone think this could actually help him??

thunderkyss
08-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Me too. Anyone think this could actually help him??

No. If he gets his fumbling problem fixed, he's too important to the offense.

b0ng
08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
No. If he gets his fumbling problem fixed, he's too important to the offense.

I don't think he's going to have enough carries this year to be as important as he was supposed to be in 2009 or he actually was in 2008. If he can return kicks without having his head separated from his body then I don't see why he should be automatically precluded from those duties.

Right now, Arian Foster is the most important RB, and if Slaton makes contributions busting punts and kick-offs he should probably be allowed. I don't see Steve taking Arian's job away, Arian would have to fumble that away himself.

drs23
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think he's going to have enough carries this year to be as important as he was supposed to be in 2009 or he actually was in 2008. If he can return kicks without having his head separated from his body then I don't see why he should be automatically precluded from those duties.

Right now, Arian Foster is the most important RB, and if Slaton makes contributions busting punts and kick-offs he should probably be allowed. I don't see Steve taking Arian's job away, Arian would have to fumble that away himself.

:goodpost:

SheTexan
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
He returned a couple in the Saints game, and I had to close my eyes!! I was waiting for the roar of the fans to tell me he had coughed up the ball! He and JJ still scare the hell out of me!!

Corrosion
08-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Slaton did pretty well returning kicks in the sAints game .... I watched them multiple times and he covered up the ball with both hands when in traffic .....

He may have his problem solved and that play on the goal line may just have been a fluke - take a look at those plays in particular and see for yourself , maybe Im just crazy.

BigBull17
08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I actually think his fumble in the Zona game was a fluke thing.

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
I actually think his fumble in the Zona game was a fluke thing.

He won't normally be used like that at the goal line anyway. He was just running with the 2's.

BigBull17
08-24-2010, 09:44 PM
He won't normally be used like that at the goal line anyway. He was just running with the 2's.

That and it looked like an awkward/unexpected hit.

Lucky
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I'd prefer looking for a returner off the waiver wire and letting Slaton & Jacoby Jones concentrate on offense. Their explosiveness could be the difference in turning the offense from good to truly elite.

b0ng
08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd prefer looking for a returner off the waiver wire and letting Slaton & Jacoby Jones concentrate on offense. Their explosiveness could be the difference in turning the offense from good to truly elite.

Sherrick McMannis and Andre` Davis would probably get tries before we relegate ourselves to finding a guy like that right before the season starts.

JB
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Sherrick McMannis and Andre` Davis would probably get tries before we relegate ourselves to finding a guy like that right before the season starts.

And J. Johnson could be in the mix.

Lucky
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
There are always solid returners who don't make the final cut. I don't think Davis has it any longer, and I'm not McManis has ever had it.

thunderkyss
08-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Don't forget Jeremiah Johnson. He may make the team as a returner.

Corrosion
08-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Normally I'd agree with that but in the case of Slaton , it lets him do what he does best and any time he gets the ball in the open field , one mistake and he can make a team pay.

With how Foster and to some extent Johnson have performed thus far in the pre-season , Im not sure Slaton is more than a 3rd down back for this team.
To me , Slaton hasnt looked as good as either of those guy's running the ball. His biggest value is on plays in space .... if returning kick offs gives him more touches under those conditions , Im fine with it.

As for JJ , I'd like to see him at WR full time rather than returning punts.

silvrhand
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
That and it looked like an awkward/unexpected hit.

Slaton did pretty well returning kicks in the sAints game .... I watched them multiple times and he covered up the ball with both hands when in traffic .....

He may have his problem solved and that play on the goal line may just have been a fluke - take a look at those plays in particular and see for yourself , maybe Im just crazy.

:facepalm:

It's the goal line, you are going to get players SLICING through the defense and all kind of akward hits are going to happy.. COVER UP THE BALL, there is NO excuse for this.. why do people make excuses for fumbles is beyond me. About the only time a valid fumble occurs for me is when the helmet is placed on the ball and squirts out from a collision like a rocket.

Corrosion
08-24-2010, 11:22 PM
:facepalm:

It's the goal line, you are going to get players SLICING through the defense and all kind of akward hits are going to happy.. COVER UP THE BALL, there is NO excuse for this.. why do people make excuses for fumbles is beyond me. About the only time a valid fumble occurs for me is when the helmet is placed on the ball and squirts out from a collision like a rocket.

Im by no means making excuses for Slaton - Just pointing out what I saw on those KR's - He covered the ball with both hands , something I couldnt see on the goal line play ....

thunderkyss
08-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Normally I'd agree with that but in the case of Slaton , it lets him do what he does best and any time he gets the ball in the open field , one mistake and he can make a team pay.

With how Foster and to some extent Johnson have performed thus far in the pre-season , Im not sure Slaton is more than a 3rd down back for this team.
To me , Slaton hasnt looked as good as either of those guy's running the ball. His biggest value is on plays in space .... if returning kick offs gives him more touches under those conditions , Im fine with it.

As for JJ , I'd like to see him at WR full time rather than returning punts.

Foster still hasn't shown to be a play maker on the order that Steve Slaton has. Even through his fumbling, he was a dynamic part of this offense. Even as a third down, change of pace back, he is more valuable to the team than someone you would want "exposed" to kick & punt returns.

If you want to get him in open space, you can pitch the ball to him, throw him screens, or run a few draws. But I think he's still explosive enough to be very successful in the ZBS, and he's fast enough to get to and turn the corner.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Foster still hasn't shown to be a play maker on the order that Steve Slaton has. Even through his fumbling, he was a dynamic part of this offense. Even as a third down, change of pace back, he is more valuable to the team than someone you would want "exposed" to kick & punt returns.

If you want to get him in open space, you can pitch the ball to him, throw him screens, or run a few draws. But I think he's still explosive enough to be very successful in the ZBS, and he's fast enough to get to and turn the corner.

Hogwash. If he is the better of the bunch at returns, then you don't hesitate making him the returner. Valuable? Why? I haven't seen good vision from him since his rookie year, hence his 2+ yards a carry.

Plus, obviously Cribbs, Hester and others aren't too valuable for their respective teams. IMO, they are far better players than Slaton at this point

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2010, 10:45 AM

There are playmakers and there are playmakers. In my starting RB, I'd prefer a guy that got me the 4-5 yards a carry play.

If Steve is only going to be used as a situational threat (and not the every down starter), then I've got no problem with him returning kicks. He'll have plenty of time to rest.

And if not Steve, then Jeremiah.

BigBull17
08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
There are playmakers and there are playmakers. In my starting RB, I'd prefer a guy that got me the 4-5 yards a carry play.

If Steve is only going to be used as a situational threat (and not the every down starter), then I've got no problem with him returning kicks. He'll have plenty of time to rest.

And if not Steve, then Jeremiah.

This. Your starting RB needs to be pretty consistent.

76Texan
08-25-2010, 12:07 PM

And if not Steve, then Jeremiah.Kubiak is a good friend of Payton.
If the Saints can use Bush in the return game, so can we.
Wes Welker is also used in the return game.
Darren Sproles plays a big role in the Chargers' return game.

As a side note, anyone who complains about Slaton's fumbling "problem" should also look at Bush's record. From fumbing, to yard per carry, to yard per catch. Bush was in position to score more TDs than Slaton, and that's a great positive for him. But let's not forget that Slaton had quite a few TDs called back due to penalties.

Slaton is a playmaker, especially in space.
The return game is a lot about space.
It would be a waste if we don't put him there.
(His fumblings usually occur in heavy traffic amongst big bodies;
putting him in space present less risk of that sort, IMHO!)

76Texan
08-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Hogwash. If he is the better of the bunch at returns, then you don't hesitate making him the returner. Valuable? Why? I haven't seen good vision from him since his rookie year, hence his 2+ yards a carry.

Plus, obviously Cribbs, Hester and others aren't too valuable for their respective teams. IMO, they are far better players than Slaton at this point

What is required of a successfull returner, may I ask?
Isn't vision one of the requirement? I'm just curious!

HOU-TEX
08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
What is required of a successfull returner, may I ask?
Isn't vision one of the requirement? I'm just curious!

Sure it is, but isn't there at least twice as much time to locate holes and where blocks are setting up in the return game than being 5-7 yards away from would-be tacklers? Not a very good comparison, to me at least

76Texan
08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Sure it is, but isn't there at least twice as much time to locate holes and where blocks are setting up in the return game than being 5-7 yards away from would-be tacklers? Not a very good comparison, to me at least

Well, first off, we have to differentiate between a kick returner and a punt returner.

You would think that a little guy like Holliday would be better in the kick-off return in college, but that wasn't the case!
He dropped the rocks during the KOs!

thunderkyss
08-25-2010, 03:31 PM

They are valuable as kick/punt returners. Hester isn't even a pimple on a wide receivers ass. Cribbs... can't argue with that, other than he is the teams only playmaker. If he's not on the field, nothing happens. They should probably make him play defense too.

But if Kubiak went through the trouble to draft a kick/punt returner to get Jacoby more reps at WR, I would be surprised if he'll have Slaton returning kicks/punts unless he absolutely has to.

Even though Slaton was fumbling, Kubiak kept putting him on the field, because he is a playmaker.

I don't think he'll supplant Foster as the "starter" but he's going to get 8-10 carries, and then be in on another dozen or so pass plays.

Corrosion
08-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Im not sure what it is that has Slaton giving us these poor rushing numbers.

Maybe its his vision or he just doesnt make good decisions when deciding what path to take .... maybe he doesnt set up blockers well , I cant put a finger on it , hell it could be any combination of things.

But when you get him the ball in space he's capable of making people miss and out running the defense. Screen plays , draws , pitch plays , kick off and punt returns all allow him to do what he does best.

His recent performance tells me he's not an every down back , he's a 3rd down back .... getting him touches in space thru KR or PR I have absolutely no problem with ..... Pending he can hold onto the damn ball.