PDA

View Full Version : Trindon Holiday will miss 2010 season

Dr2bKay
08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Just got a text from 610 saying that he is gonna have surgery on his thumb and will miss the season....wow

Yankee_In_TX
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I figured they would get him on IR and let him have another go next year. If there was no ay to IR him this year they would have had to cut him.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I figured they would get him on IR and let him have another go next year. If there was no ay to IR him this year they would have had to cut him.

Agreed, this was inevitable. Kinda like how they found a way to stash Nolan on the IR last year.

Yankee_In_TX
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Agreed, this was inevitable. Kinda like how they found a way to stash Nolan on the IR last year.

Hrrrm - you have a hangnail on your thumb? Surgery and IR it is!

disaacks3
08-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I hope the "new" thumb will hold on to the ball better.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Ha, yup. I never knew what Nolan was IR's for until a couple few months ago.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Brian Baldinger, Tory Holt and Anthony Munoz never got that memo:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2008/12/custom_1229980710237_IMG00131.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/47785/torryholt.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_m2NqMpgvit4/R6CUrnP60vI/AAAAAAAAE5c/MJ5aA7tvezk/s400/munoz-758333.jpg

gtexan02
08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Brian Baldinger, Tory Holt and Anthony Munoz never got that memo:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2008/12/custom_1229980710237_IMG00131.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/47785/torryholt.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_m2NqMpgvit4/R6CUrnP60vI/AAAAAAAAE5c/MJ5aA7tvezk/s400/munoz-758333.jpg

WTF is that!?

hobie
08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't mind being the first to say it, but let him go... he might be fast, but that is it... he is too small to be a receiver or back...and unless he can break one at least 1 a game, he is taking a spot from someone who can play more than 1 position..I don't want the "threat" of being able to... and I have yet to see any positive things from him this preseason so far...
He gave it a good try..

Yankee_In_TX
08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't mind being the first to say it, but let him go... he might be fast, but that is it... he is too small to be a receiver or back...and unless he can break one at least 1 a game, he is taking a spot from someone who can play more than 1 position..I don't want the "threat" of being able to... and I have yet to see any positive things from him this preseason so far...
He gave it a good try..

Err - he's not taking a spot any more :) (but he would not have made the 53 man roster of PS in my opinion)

Dutchrudder
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
He gave it a good try..

I completely disagree. IR doesn't cost the team a thing besides his minimal salary. There is nothing wrong with it, and another offseason with Joe Marciano could make the difference.

Thorn
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
If Holiday turns out to be the real deal, this in an excellant move by the Texans. If not, no harm done. I'm good with this. We got other folks that can return kicks. Besides, I'm not gonna cry over 6th round picks anyway. They generally are 6th round picks for a reason.

Ole Miss Texan
08-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I was joking in the other thread about putting him on IR or the PUP list just. I didn't think we could actually do this. I don't want to downplay his injury, it just seems like a loophole to me. Hurt thumb? Let's get him some surgery and we can hang onto him for a year. Great news!

silvrhand
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
WTF is that!?

I did the same thing, my thumb got stuck in a face mask on a tackle I should have had surgery but instead I kept playing, now I have this:

badboy
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
He gave it a good try..You evidently started watching later in game. He had a 28 yard return the first kick off. Perhaps we should allow him a bit of slack due to nature of his injury? Many of us gave Jacoby Jones a hard time for two years because of his problems but he now looks pretty good. Holliday is a 6th and will be out for year. I am not upset.

TimeKiller
08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Is there a link to any of this? The injury, the time off, the surgery, placed on IR...anything?

As long as he's got the wheels I say kick punts to him all damn year and if next year he ain't got it then he never will.

JB
08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Is there a link to any of this? The injury, the time off, the surgery, placed on IR...anything?

As long as he's got the wheels I say kick punts to him all damn year and if next year he ain't got it then he never will.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6303

silvrhand
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
WTF is that!?

You think that is bad, Ronnie Lott cut half his finger off to play the season.. I would give my left nut to see a Ronnie Lott type person join this team but we are like a box of muffins on defense.. soft, squishy, and all warm inside..

Brando
08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
You think that is bad, Ronnie Lott cut half his finger off to play the season.. I would give my left nut to see a Ronnie Lott type person join this team but we are like a box of muffins on defense.. soft, squishy, and all warm inside..

Bernard Pollard, Cushing?

SheTexan
08-24-2010, 06:21 PM
All I gotta say is BS!! Good excuse for dropping balls and looking like a dimwit out there. There will be plenty of good punt/kick off returners in the draft next year. WHY pay this guy even a "miminal" salary for doing absolutely NOTHING!!! Geeeezzzz!! Wish my employer was so kind!!

gary
08-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't care if he was going to make the team or not I just hate having another injury JMO. They suck.

Hervoyel
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm good with this. He is a bit of an experiment and not all experiments produce results instantly. He likely needs a little more time and we can buy a season for him this way with little cost. If he can't make the team next year then the experiment likely wasn't going to work anyway. This year I want to be able to keep more WR's and don't want Holliday taking up one of those spots.

NitroGSXR
08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm good with this but anal fissure flashbacks anyone? It's going to be tough for Holliday to live this one down.

Texans34Life
08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
When it rains, it pours.

silvrhand
08-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Bernard Pollard, Cushing?

Ronnie Lott was probably one of the best defense backs to play the game and the only one to get voted to the pro bowl at corner, free safety, and strong safety. Pollard will never be a Ronnie Lott, and Cushing looks good after one year but have to see if the can stay off the steroids and keep his level of play at this level for 10 years.

Brando
08-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Ronnie Lott was probably one of the best defense backs to play the game and the only one to get voted to the pro bowl at corner, free safety, and strong safety. Pollard will never be a Ronnie Lott, and Cushing looks good after one year but have to see if the can stay off the steroids and keep his level of play at this level for 10 years.

muffins on defense.. soft, squishy, and all warm inside..

Pollard and Cushing(you say steroids but I digress) are not muffins,soft or squishy by any stretch of the imagination. I get what you are saying about Lott though, one of the best ever. I hope Pollard plays like Lott this year.:aggressive: He has the talent.

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
All I gotta say is BS!! Good excuse for dropping balls and looking like a dimwit out there. There will be plenty of good punt/kick off returners in the draft next year. WHY pay this guy even a "miminal" salary for doing absolutely NOTHING!!! Geeeezzzz!! Wish my employer was so kind!!
Meh, he's only getting paid $320K this season. It's only his thumb, not like a severe leg injury, so hopefully he'll heal quickly and will be able to work out all year and it would save us a draft pick in 2011.

SheTexan
08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Meh, he's only getting paid $320K this season. It's only his thumb, not like a severe leg injury, so hopefully he'll heal quickly and will be able to work out all year and it would save us a draft pick in 2011.

$320K!!!!!! Are you kidding me??? And you guys are ok with this?

I whacked my elbow on the thermostat last night and it hurts like hell from my shoulder down to my finger tips! I have to WORK tonight! Wonder if my employer will pay me my measley salary to sit on my ass!! Geeeezzz! It is beyond stup*d to pay this guy that much money!! JMO!!

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2010, 12:36 PM
$320K!!!!!! Are you kidding me??? And you guys are ok with this?

I whacked my elbow on the thermostat last night and it hurts like hell from my shoulder down to my finger tips! I have to WORK tonight! Wonder if my employer will pay me my measley salary to sit on my ass!! Geeeezzz! It is beyond stup*d to pay this guy that much money!! JMO!!

Well, no offense but you're probably not 1 of 70 or so people that are earning your boss millions upon millions each year and increasing the value of his billion dollar company. People don't pay money to come see you or me at work. People aren't on message boards talking about you or me and how GREAT or TERRIBLE we are at filling out TPS Reports.

I understand the underlying feeling your getting at, and I'm human, I feel that too. But at the end of the day the NFL is an entertainment business. I think its retar...err more politically correct... crazy insane how much Nicolas Cage gets paid for sh*tty movie after sh*tty movie but that's hollywood.

IMO, the risk/reward is too lopsided, in favor of reward. Bob is thinking that worse case he wastes $320K this year and Holliday doesn't heal and we end up cutting him next season. However, there's enough potential there that Holliday could become an elite ST returner like Cribbs or Hester and be a game changer. Someone that gives us GREAT field position and has the potential to score a TD each time he returns a kick. That wins games... and if it doesn't, it at least keeps you in it and alive for the rest of the team to do their job. If that pushes you over the edge in just one game... that's 10 wins for us and playoffs. All for $320K??? wise move Bob, wise move.