PDA

View Full Version : Use mitchell and sheppard with the ones.

newtexan
08-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Why not throw Mitchell inside with Cody,and rotate Omobi and Sheppard with the Defensive Ends for a half, Sheppard and Omobi could also be use to rest up the Defensive Tackles for a play or two, these guys, like Mitchell are interchangeable and must be used in various schemes, they are not 330 pound plugs, the talent is there !, tweek it.

El Tejano
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I should've put this in my game by game review but, Okam looked better than all the other DTs.

newtexan
08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
OK, then use the three-man rotation in the middle, OKAM,MITCHELL,CODY, you still can utilize Okoye and Sheppard as rush defensive ends, rotating with the ones, and maybe even push em a little.

Brisco_County
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I should've put this in my game by game review but, Okam looked better than all the other DTs.

Okam looked better in preseason last year too, but he's still not going to do crap for us. He's out of shape and football is not his passion. We need to just cut him.

painekiller
08-23-2010, 02:24 AM
OK, then use the three-man rotation in the middle, OKAM,MITCHELL,CODY, you still can utilize Okoye and Sheppard as rush defensive ends, rotating with the ones, and maybe even push em a little.

Because they are not quick enough to be 4-3 DEs they are both tweeners, or undersized DTs. In college they can play DE, but not in the NFL.

IDEXAN
08-23-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm reading reports that big Frank Okam looked good Saturday night ? Maybe there's still hope for him, and maybe he makes the cut afterall ?

HOU-TEX
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm reading reports that big Frank Okam looked good Saturday night ? Maybe there's still hope for him, and maybe he makes the cut afterall ?

On a handful of plays he looked ok, but it's about consistency. He was taken out of the play several times as well, as was Okoye.

Sheppard looked good, but that was in the later stages of the game. Other than that, they all sucked

Honoring Earl 34
08-23-2010, 10:28 AM
On a handful of plays he looked ok, but it's about consistency. He was taken out of the play several times as well, as was Okoye.

Sheppard looked good, but that was in the later stages of the game. Other than that, they all sucked

Here's some footage of Okoye .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDF_y5rSFB8&feature=related

Rey
08-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I really don't think Okam gets cut. He doesn't look out of shape to me and he doesn't look any worse than any of the other DT's that are out there.

HOU-TEX
08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Here's some footage of Okoye .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDF_y5rSFB8&feature=related

:lol: Yeah, I think you might be right

The1ApplePie
08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Its scary to think how good our LBs would be if we did not have the worst DTs in the NFL:bender:

badboy
08-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Why not throw Mitchell inside with Cody,and rotate Omobi and Sheppard with the Defensive Ends for a half, Sheppard and Omobi could also be use to rest up the Defensive Tackles for a play or two, these guys, like Mitchell are interchangeable and must be used in various schemes, they are not 330 pound plugs, the talent is there !, tweek it.Step back from the hype and tell me what Mitchell has done against the other team's 2s & 3s? If he is as good as we hope he is, he should be causing panic in the heart of the back up QB. I've not seen that. There is a reason Okoye remains a starter as does Chris Myers on the other side. No one is pushing them to the bench. Caldwell was suppose to be the center last season almost from game 1. Instead, he's starting over an injured Briesel at RG. As of today, imo we should be drafting another DT, a center & a back up QB first three rounds.

eriadoc
08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Ok0ye, Okam, and Cody are simply not good. But at least we have some good TEs.

HOU-TEX
08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok0ye, Okam, and Cody are simply not good. But at least we have some good TEs.

I have no problem with Cody. I think he does pretty good against the run. Agreed on the other 2. It appears Okoye may have gotten worse against the run.

newtexan
08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Sheppard also should be used as a defensive end , some packages could bring Smith inside alongside Cody and Mitchell or Okam,. Sheppard was relentless as a DE his first two years at Arkansas.

Rey
08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Mitchell has played with the ones.

newtexan
08-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I was talking more like a package deal, Sheppard should be used more these last preseason games alongside Mitchell, or out at DE, but allow the rookies the floor early and often, and let them grow or fade.

rmartin65
08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
I was talking more like a package deal, Sheppard should be used more these last preseason games alongside Mitchell, or out at DE, but allow the rookies the floor early and often, and let them grow or fade.

Just out of curiosity, will you still be on the board if Sheppard does not make the team? Honest question, no intent to be snarky or to challenge your fanhood (I hate when people do that).

Sheppard is a bubble player. The draft, while not a perfect science, is pretty good. All you have to do is look at the amount of UDFA hall of famers vs. 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, etc.

He has an uphill climb. I actually like his UDFA rival, Mitch Unrein (Wyoming) about the same as Sheppard. I would not be surprised to see Unrein make the cut, and not Sheppard.

playa465
08-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Step back from the hype and tell me what Mitchell has done against the other team's 2s & 3s? If he is as good as we hope he is, he should be causing panic in the heart of the back up QB. I've not seen that. There is a reason Okoye remains a starter as does Chris Myers on the other side. No one is pushing them to the bench. Caldwell was suppose to be the center last season almost from game 1. Instead, he's starting over an injured Briesel at RG. As of today, imo we should be drafting another DT, a center & a back up QB first three rounds.

Agreed, simply put our defensive tackles suck...its not about 1 game either, until they perform at a high level with consistency they will be considered mediocre

newtexan
08-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Always a TEXAN , nothing would surprise me when it comes to who gets cut, but Sheppard has more upside in my opinion.

beerlover
08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
tough to transition for DT from College to the NFL. my thinking is they're just playing cautious first trying to build up their confidence, power & speed for the game before feeding them to the lions (regular season starting OL). Very few athletes transition immediately, expect for the top tier prospects, just look how many years it takes the average baseball player to make it to the bigs :twocents:

rmartin65
08-23-2010, 09:25 PM
tough to transition for DT from College to the NFL. my thinking is they're just playing cautious first trying to build up their confidence, power & speed for the game before feeding them to the lions (regular season starting OL). Very few athletes transition immediately, expect for the top tier prospects, just look how many years it takes the average baseball player to make it to the bigs :twocents:

The baseball comparison is something to think about, that is very interesting. Its the same in hockey, pretty much only the top tier guys play in the pros immediately.

I dont think I have seen your guess on which DTs make the roster? Who do you got?

beerlover
08-23-2010, 09:30 PM
The baseball comparison is something to think about, that is very interesting. Its the same in hockey, pretty much only the top tier guys play in the pros immediately.

I dont think I have seen your guess on which DTs make the roster? Who do you got?

sample size is too difficult to say, those who attend practices might have a better clue? I also have some regret I never expected about our first pick & this is nothing against Kareem Jackson but Dan Williams could have been the beef in middle of DL the Texans ready needed @ point of attack. I wonder if they shopped Amobi Okoye before selection Mitchell, similar players to me, well except Mitchell seems to have the better work ethic.

newtexan
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Cody, Robinson, Okoye, Mitchell, Sheppard, Texans finally part ways with Okam, Robinson plays better than expected, rookies find their groove, GREAT YEAR ! after a dismal presaeson.