PDA

View Full Version : Jets Zone Blocking??

thunderkyss
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I didn't really watch the Jets, so I don't know how much of this is true, or how much Leon is trying to bump his stock.

Researching for my fantasy league, I stumbled across this tidbit (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Leon-Washington-s-comeback-a-big-deal-for-Seahaw;_ylt=AmqGSRUIW1uMRvhSiVAyDtH.uLYF?urn=nfl-263859) I thought you might find interesting.

"What people don't realize last year ... the Jets probably gained 70 percent of their [rushing] yards on zone-running schemes," Washington recalled. "Before the 2009 season, [Jets offensive line] coach [Bill] Callahan sat down with Alex Gibbs and learned the zone-running scheme that we implemented last year, and that's how we led the league in rushing, with zone and power. So, I'm used to running the zone scheme. It really suits our backs, because we attack the line at different angles. It will be fun to see the things I learned in New York carry over to here."

The1ApplePie
08-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Its a hybrid scheme more-or-less, but the linemen are power guys, not zone guys.

IMO that would work better, because traditional zone o-linemen are too small for the modern NFL to be really effective. 350lb DTs are now as athletic as 295lbs guards.

dc_txtech
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
"What people don't realize last year ... the Jets probably gained 70 percent of their [rushing] yards on zone-running schemes," Washington recalled. "Before the 2009 season, [Jets offensive line] coach [Bill] Callahan sat down with Alex Gibbs and learned the zone-running scheme that we implemented last year, and that's how we led the league in rushing, with zone and power. So, I'm used to running the zone scheme. It really suits our backs, because we attack the line at different angles. It will be fun to see the things I learned in New York carry over to here."

Wasn't he working for us at that point?