PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 2.0 Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

beerlover
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
don't know about the rest of you but I need an outlet to discuss our MOCK II draft. So far I think everyone has done a great job with their selections, elso of note the number of trades (@ fair value) so far which I think fairly reflect what is really going to transpire draft day. also something I've never experienced before to this high level of anxiety is the pressure of waiting for your time to pick while your #1 guy is still on the board. it has really helped me understand why the Texans gave up so much last year to trade up for Babin, they where unwilling to take the chance & wait & folded under the pressure to get their man. can't blame them at all, until your in that position its hard to explain. anyways great job so far, hope to get more feedback as we go along :listening :wacko:

F-minus67
03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Right now the only players getting picked are the confirmed 1st round picks, I think the real action and suprises will come in the second and later rounds. :thumbup

D-ReK
03-17-2005, 02:01 PM
I was torn between Edwards, Rolle, and Pac-Man...It was easy to dismiss Edwards because the Titans still have Drew Bennett (I hate that guy) and Tyrone Calico, who should have a good season after being injured last year...

The choice between Antrel and Pac-Man was rather difficult for me, as the Titans already have a bigger CB in Andre Woolfolk...In the end, I chose Antrel because I feel he will be more of a playmaker in the NFL...While he doesn't have the best 40, he is physical and adept at jamming his man at the line...I'd like to get some opinions of who yall would pick if you were in my (or the Titans') shoes...

swtbound07
03-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I think its interesting that everybody said this would be a shallow draft, and everyone would be trying to trade down...but as a GM with only one pressing need, im finding it impossible to trade UP, especially with the stupid value chart telling people my picks are worthless....this is much more challenging then i would have thought, and i havent even picked yet :hmmm:

swtbound07
03-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I was torn between Edwards, Rolle, and Pac-Man...It was easy to dismiss Edwards because the Titans still have Drew Bennett (I hate that guy) and Tyrone Calico, who should have a good season after being injured last year...

The choice between Antrel and Pac-Man was rather difficult for me, as the Titans already have a bigger CB in Andre Woolfolk...In the end, I chose Antrel because I feel he will be more of a playmaker in the NFL...While he doesn't have the best 40, he is physical and adept at jamming his man at the line...I'd like to get some opinions of who yall would pick if you were in my (or the Titans') shoes...

I think out of the cornerback options, that high up antrel is definitely the SAFE pick.....probably the right one too...Im more of the gambling type, so i would have taken a shot at pac man, because i think he will be phenominal...jmo

Dime
03-17-2005, 02:31 PM
I think its interesting that everybody said this would be a shallow draft, and everyone would be trying to trade down...but as a GM with only one pressing need, im finding it impossible to trade UP, especially with the stupid value chart telling people my picks are worthless....this is much more challenging then i would have thought, and i havent even picked yet :hmmm:

Me as the 49ers,

I find that the 49'ers are hurting all around the board. By giving up one awesome pick, I choose to go with 3-4 picks of a good nature. This way, I can fill more voids and might even find a diamond in a second price.

beerlover
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
the most surprising development so far is that Alex Smith is still on the board, with the 49er's trading down I guess thats not too shocking, I wonder if Dime is going through the same feelings I experienced?

swtbound07
03-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Well....im pretty much expecting the next pick to be the redskins taking pac man.....this is going much faster than i expected though. I like the cadillac pick fiddy.....not sure marcell shipp would, but with warner you can afford to take a qb next year, or maybe go after a later round proposition.....nice choices by everyone so far

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Even after trading down twice, the 49ers still might get Alex Smith.

texasguy346
03-17-2005, 05:09 PM
They've got a very good chance. It doesn't appear that either of the teams picking ahead of them are looking for a QB. Unless someone trades up to snag him then he could very well fall to the 49ers.

swtbound07
03-17-2005, 05:41 PM
well...the redskins arent exactly in QB heaven, but they have bigger needs

swtbound07
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Well....im pretty much expecting the next pick to be the redskins taking pac man.....this is going much faster than i expected though. I like the cadillac pick fiddy.....not sure marcell shipp would, but with warner you can afford to take a qb next year, or maybe go after a later round proposition.....nice choices by everyone so far

Hey look...im psychic :thumbup

D-ReK
03-17-2005, 06:02 PM
It was pretty obvious after losing Smoot that they would go CB...They need one almost as bad as the Titans do...

texasguy346
03-17-2005, 07:45 PM
well...the redskins arent exactly in QB heaven, but they have bigger needs

I think Ramsey will be fine once he gets a chance. They could use a young QB, but I'd expect them to address that need later in the draft with the likes of Frye, Fitzpatrick, or Green.

beerlover
03-18-2005, 01:27 PM
this whole issue of where does Derrick go was reaffirmed in MOCK II as Cowboy GM Hottodie traded up to get in front of the Titans & Vikings to secure Johnson. also it looks like the Texans are loading up with f/a LB's so they clearly are looking elsewhere with the 13th pick. all eyes will soon be upon SESupergenius :whew

D-ReK
03-18-2005, 01:32 PM
all eyes will soon be upon SESupergenius :whew

The anticipation is killing me!

Vinny
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
the most surprising development so far is that Alex Smith is still on the board, with the 49er's trading down I guess thats not too shocking, I wonder if Dime is going through the same feelings I experienced?I was going to take him when the Dolphins GM missed his pick. Sometimes when I look at this mock and really think about what may really happen I think that he would have been the wiser choice, but I feel real good about Ronnie Brown's talent level.

Oilers/Texans
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey Texans, I'll trade you Orlando Pace for your #1??

swtbound07
03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
can we trade players????? i didnt know that was doable

Vinny
03-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Only the picks in this draft guys, sorry.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-18-2005, 07:11 PM
How about if it is a player that is already established as being "on the trading block" such as Patrick Surtain, J. Abraham, Michael Bennett, Edgerin James, S. Alexander, Rod Gardner, Donovin Darius, Jamie Sharper, etc.

beerlover
03-18-2005, 08:18 PM
great job Dime, you exacuted your plan to perfection, picked up extra picks, avoided the big 1st pick contract and got your man Alex Smith. if the 49ers could do as good of job they would be spinning cartwheels off the Golden Gate Bridge :thumbup

Dime
03-18-2005, 08:37 PM
great job Dime, you exacuted your plan to perfection, picked up extra picks, avoided the big 1st pick contract and got your man Alex Smith. if the 49ers could do as good of job they would be spinning cartwheels off the Golden Gate Bridge :thumbup

Thank you ... I thought the Dolphins would pass for a great RB, but I didnt think it would make it that far. But when it started coming down, I was sweating it BIG TIME with the Cards pick. Hehe.. I even offered another trade down to the Texans (#13), but never heard anything since the Chargers dont need a QB and David Carr would have a cow if he was picked up. I was to afraid the Panthers would pick him up though, so I took it here. :whew

D-ReK
03-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Well played, Dime :thumbup ...I was hoping DJ would fall to me at 6, but *sigh* he was taken one before my pick...

D-ReK
03-19-2005, 04:11 AM
How does everyone feel about the Shaun Cody pick? I think if we were targeting him specifically, we could trade down and get him...If we were looking D-Line, I would think we would take Spears...SES said he had a master plan, though, so I'm willing to wait until after the draft ends to fully evaluate...

beerlover
03-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I agree lets be nice & wait to see his master plan unfold :confused: frankly given this scenero I'd be all for trading down & taking Baas :thumbup

Lucky
03-19-2005, 10:35 AM
How does everyone feel about the Shaun Cody pick?
I like Cody a lot. At 6'4" 293 (with room to grow) he's got enough size to play on the 34 line. The Supergenius doesn't think that Cody is a "freak" athlete. But from watching him play, I expect Shaun to have the best workout numbers (pro day on 3/23) of any DT in this draft. I think Cody could come in and play on passing downs immediatly and work into a starting job in a year or 2. Like any other player taken at #13. The other players I would have considered at #13 from this mock draft would be FSU's DT Travis Johnson, LSU's DE Marcus Spears, & OU's Tackle Jammal Brown.

RiotCommander
03-19-2005, 11:41 AM
How does everyone feel about the Shaun Cody pick? I think if we were targeting him specifically, we could trade down and get him...If we were looking D-Line, I would think we would take Spears...SES said he had a master plan, though, so I'm willing to wait until after the draft ends to fully evaluate...

I think that getting Cody in the first round is a great pickup. However, I think that he is more a 20-30 range pick. I'm sure that SES did the best he could. Most of the big name talent was off the board when it dropped to him.

Vinny
03-19-2005, 11:47 AM
How does everyone feel about the Shaun Cody pick? I think if we were targeting him specifically, we could trade down and get him.Teams don't trade down for one player. If they like a guy they just take him. Only draftniks get all worked up over slotting when it comes to this kind of a deal. If you have a group of players you like, then you trade down. One guy? Too much chance someone else likes him too so you just pull the trigger and take the guy you like. Trading down to save money on draft slots is a worthless strategy if you fail to land the guy you want.

SESupergenius
03-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I would say drafting at the 11-16 range is probably the toughest because the talent level starts leveling out more. I would say after the 16th pick then the talent is just a pick as you chose scenario where most of the athletes are pretty equally graded. I liked Spears a lot, but he just didn't have the strength to impress me enough for the 13th pick. I like Travis Johnson as well, but I liked Cody a little more because of his versatility. I will say this, I had a few players that I was specifically targeting and would have only traded up for 2, B. Edwards and DJ, but felt that this years 2nd rounders are too much to give up for 1 guy because some of our olders guys will need to be replaced in the next 2 years.

As for trading down, I just couldn't risk it because of how the 1st round picks were going, they were all over the board.

F-minus67
03-19-2005, 01:23 PM
The two d linemen that projsct to the 3-4 the best are Spears and Cody. While Spears has the athletic ability, Cody has more versitility and would most likely be a bigger success faster since he is use to taking on guards and tackles from his time as a DT. Not to mention the fact that he has been a full time starter on a two time national championship defense :thumbup .

Dime
03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Teams don't trade down for one player. If they like a guy they just take him. Only draftniks get all worked up over slotting when it comes to this kind of a deal. If you have a group of players you like, then you trade down. One guy? Too much chance someone else likes him too so you just pull the trigger and take the guy you like. Trading down to save money on draft slots is a worthless strategy if you fail to land the guy you want.

I agree with this to a point. One of the things you do as a GM is trying to make your best guess which team will take what. Basing that one needs and the team, 75% percent (Not close to 100% mind you), you could forsee who will be taken and make estimates if you can pick up extra picks, but still be in the running for a person. If your 'guy' is taken, that gives only more reason to change down more, or investigate the next teir of player to fulfill your need.

As I had stated in a earier not, I was at #11 but tried to move down to #13 because there was only a 5% chance in my mind the Chargers or Texans would pick up Alex Smith (in my mind). Chargers with two #1 QB's wouldnt make since for another, and David Carr would blow a gasket (not to mention, he still has the faith of the team). Panthers could have worked with Alex Smith, so since nothing could be reached with the Texans. I took Alex's.

BTW, As I said before, I didnt think Alex would make it past the Cards. So Even if you have that %75 forsee, the other 25% is pure luck. Just my thoughts..

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Good pick Coldsteelblue. I honestly believe Justin Miller is the best CB in this year's draft.

ColdSteelBlue
03-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Good pick Coldsteelblue. I honestly believe Justin Miller is the best CB in this year's draft.

Thanks. If Rogers or Rolle would have been there, I would have had a a hard choice. They seem to be more polished. That said Miller might have some the best upside of any player, so I'm not dissapointed.

BTW like your pick up of Benson. He and Jones could be a nasty 1-2 punch. :thumbup

swtbound07
03-19-2005, 07:33 PM
i actually think miller will be the biggest defensive suprise of the draft...nice pick

Errant Hothy
03-19-2005, 07:35 PM
The Bengals have traded the 17th pick to the Falcons for the 27th pick and the Falcons pick in the third round.

swtbound07
03-19-2005, 08:15 PM
thoughts and opinions on the trade up for clayton?

beerlover
03-20-2005, 12:27 AM
the Vikings are currently accepting offers for the 18th selection overall, pm me if interested & I'll sleep on it.......... :sleep: goodnight, hint, hint SESupergenius

RiotCommander
03-20-2005, 12:27 AM
thoughts and opinions on the trade up for clayton?

I know that the Falcons need another wideout. I think that Clayton is a little small to give up later picks for him. However, he could be another Hinez Ward. In which case you would be a genius.

ColdSteelBlue
03-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Great pick up of Roth for the Cowboys Hottoddie. Although I would hate to see him in Dallas it would be a good fit. Good choice. :thumbup

Hottoddie
03-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Great pick up of Roth for the Cowboys Hottoddie. Although I would hate to see him in Dallas it would be a good fit. Good choice. :thumbup

Thanks. Everything I've read about this guy makes me think he's a far superior prospect than guys like Spears, James, & Pollard.

I'd love to see the Texans snag him in the real draft.

beerlover
03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks. Everything I've read about this guy makes me think he's a far superior prospect than guys like Spears, James, & Pollard.

I'd love to see the Texans snag him in the real draft.

thats your opinion and your entitled to your opinion :wacko: and of course you mean he is better than David Pollack not Pollard right :confused: define far superior to two guys still available Spears & Pollack-

adding a free link to a current top 32 board- http://www.thehuddlereport.com/BIGBOARD-3-21.htm

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I can't help but notice Matt Jones being drafted in the middle of the first round. That one puzzles me.

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 03:05 PM
:shocked I just noticed that...Our mock lost a lot of credibility with that one...I was looking at him as a 3rd rounder at best...

F-minus67
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
That pick caught my eye as well. The dude who drafted him talked about trying him out as a QB, but why would you do that when you have Bulger. Not to metion most teams see him as a WR/TE. :hmmm:

swtbound07
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
yeah.....think we can give that GM a mulligan?? :hmmm:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Matt Jones' value as a QB is probably a 6th rounder at best.

Lucky
03-21-2005, 03:59 PM
...Our mock lost a lot of credibility with that one...
The pick of Jones may have been off the chart. But if you've followed the draft over the past 5 years, you've seen the Rams make off the chart picks in the 1st round.

2000 Trung Canidate - Arizona- A real puzzler in that Faulk was in his prime.
2001 Ryan Pickett - Ohio State - Most had as a 3rd round value.
2002 Robert Thomas - LB - UCLA - Another guy most saw in the 3rd round.

Odd pick, OK. Loss of credibility for the mock, I don't think so.

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 04:06 PM
I just looked up the Rams recent drafts, and since 2000, they have been horrible for the most part...I retract my previous statements...Great job in keeping with the Rams' trends, and thanks for the input, Lucky...

Vinny
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
That was a bit of a homer pick from O/T since he is a Razorback fan, but to his credit he just about nailed the Ahmad Carroll draft position last year when nobody had him in the 1st round at that time. Also, with so many guys rated around the same this draft will probably have a few surprising moments. If Matt Jones eventually plays to first round value (and he might) then the pick was a good one (I wouldn't have done it though).

texasguy346
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
It's not easy to take big risks, but if anything the pick sounds like something Martz would do. To be honest when I saw Matt Jones' numbers at the combine I instantly thought he'd be a good fit for the Rams on that fast turf of theirs.

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
The one thing that's true about this draft class is that after the top tier of players, a lot of the players rate the same on into the 3rd round, so there should be a few head-scratchers come April 23rd...

Dunta_23
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
what does everyone think of Spears going to Jax?????? Id like to hear some feedback.....I know I wouldnt wanna have to play that D-Line 2 times a year..what does everyone else think?

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
I think Spears would be a good fit for them if he slid that far...He's arguably the best DE in the draft and I think he was the BPA when you selected...

Overall, good pick :thumbup ...

texasguy346
03-21-2005, 05:57 PM
I like Spears alot, and he looks like a good pickup for Jacksonville, but I might have leaned toward one of the prominent pass rushers like Tuck or Dan Cody or perhaps Pollack. They picked up Hayward, but imagine having two DEs closing in on the QB while the pocket collapses due to Stroud and Henderson pushing the C and G back into the QBs face. However, if I had the chance to get Spears with a 22nd pick I would have a hard time passing him up. He is clearly the BPA, and what he lacks in pass rushing skills he more than makes up for in his ability to stop the run. Honestly I hope he doesn't end up with the Jags come April because I'd hate to have to run against that DLine. Hayward, Henderson, Stroud, and Spears. Might as well run DD into a brick wall 20 or 30 times. You'd get the same result.

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
This is kinda off topic, but have any of yall heard the rumor about Miami going defense with their 1st rounder and taking Marcus Spears 2nd overall? I personally don't think it would happen, but Spears reuniting with Saban is an interesting prospect...

TexasJedi
03-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I heard that rumor too. Perhaps Saban wants someone to trade up for his #2 overall so he can grab Spears a few slots down while picking up that 2nd rounder they sent to Philly for A.J. Feely.

texasguy346
03-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I've heard the rumor, and I've also heard it mentioned that Saban is considering switching to the 3-4 (Him and every other NFL team). Spears would be a good fit for that, but in all likelyhood it would make Taylor an OLB. I'm guessing if you see Miami in the 3-4 it will only be occasionaly (ala the Patriots), and their base D will remain the 4-3. I can't see them taking him 2nd overall though, and I absolutely love Marcus Spears.

Oilers/Texans
03-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I did not know the mock draft got broken down so much by so many. Matt Jones is an awsome athlete, there is no two ways about it. He is big, fast, quick, and above all he's a playmaker. He will for sure be a first day pick. He is too talented not to be. It will surprise me if he is not taken on day one. He has developed as a QB through his college career, he has improved at that position. He does need work on his passing skills, but he is the type who can beat a defense with his legs or his arm. He has done both of those things on countless occasions. Mel Kiper said Jones would "only be an emergency QB at best" I like Mel Kiper, but lost some respect for him on that one. I think he was way off on that projection. I think Jones should and probably will get a shot at QB somewhere in the NFL. If he plays WR he can do that well too, he'll need work of course but the talent and skills are there. I think the biggest problem with Jones is that he does not always protect the ball when he carries it, but that can be easily corrected.

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Nobody was saying Jones wouldn't be a first day pick...Most of the criticism was about taking him at #19 overall and projecting him to QB...Do you honestly think he would be out Bulger? The Rams have had a long line of pocket-passers, and I don't think they would use their first pick on a project at a position they seem to be set at JMO...

Oilers/Texans
03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
He might not beat out Bulger this year. I don't see him being a starting QB from day one, but after a season or two, watch out!!

Fiddy
03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
He might not beat out Bulger this year. I don't see him being a starting QB from day one, but after a season or two, watch out!!I wanted to take him in the 3rd or 4th. He could sit behind Warner for a year or two then take the starting role after watching one of the smartest QBs in the league.

Jones, Cadillac, Boldin and Fitz would be just flat out leathal.

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 10:23 PM
I'd like to be the first to say good pick RT2...Thomas Davis would make the Ravens secondary even more deadly...Ed Reed would slide over to FS, which he seems more suitable for, and Davis may have been the BPA, also...

Good job :thumbup ...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Matt Jones - First day pick, yes. First round? No way.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
RT2, great selection with Thomas Davis. He will solidify the Ravens switch to the 46 defense.

Rosusu
03-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Fiddy I would have to agree with you, I was really looking at him in the 3rd or 4th. There is no way he is going to go in the first round, he is a very interesting prospect though.

RT2
03-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks, It was a tough choice between the Johnson kid from Florida St. or Thomas Davis. I took Davis because he seems to be the BPA, the most upside, and he could make an impact early in the Ravens defense.

Honoring Earl 34
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
:whistle: Since the next pick is for a guy named How bout them Cowboys I say draft Harvards QB and lets go .

ps Stll no avatar

D-ReK
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
He hasn't been on in 6 days, but to be fair, he does have 24 hours to make his pick, so just be patient...

RiotCommander
03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I would like to know what the thoughts are on my pick of Miller with #26. I know that the Jets are in need of an OT, and a CB, but none of the ones on the board to me are worth a first round selection. I tried to pick one of the BPA that filled a need of the team. At least we don't have a lot of Jets fans around here to skin me :cool:

jgl35
03-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Miller is a great pick for the Jets. I believe they lost Becht in FA. Miller could start for them.

D-ReK
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I think Jammal Brown was the BPA, but Miller should be a good fit for the Jets...

beerlover
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
yes but Miller is the best TEA (Tight End Available) and the Jets do NEED one. its a very safe & appropriate pick. :woot

in another smart move Hoth-Boy just selected TJ. again throw out the BPA & take the BPA who fits your #1 need.

Rosusu
03-23-2005, 02:08 PM
What do yall think of my Hawthorne pick for the colts? I wanted to get a cb but I thought all the best ones were gone and hawthorne was too good to pass up. I was strongly considering browner or pollack. What do yall think?

beerlover
03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
that would be a upgrade on a defensive line that over achieved to say the least, would make playing them next year a concern unless the Texans aggressivly re-tool their offensive line. good pick IMO :thumbup

Vinny
03-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I hear Browner was painfully slow when he ran. 4.6's doesn't cut it for CB's so I think you did the right thing passing on him.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I think Hawthorne is the right guy for them...I think if he's there on draft day, they snag him unless Justin Miller slips down a little...

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Browner was in the 4.7 range.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Isn't he switching to FS?

WildBlackBear32
03-23-2005, 03:19 PM
What do yall think of my Hawthorne pick for the colts? I wanted to get a cb but I thought all the best ones were gone and hawthorne was too good to pass up. I was strongly considering browner or pollack. What do yall think?

I thought about taking him...but decided against it...

Blake
03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
I thought about taking him...but decided against it...

Good input.

I think the Colts cant go wrong with a pick on D. DT, LB, or CB. I think I would have gone with someone like Marlin Jackson, Kevin Burnett, or Channing Crowder. But they also need a big DT.

texasguy346
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I'd hate to see the Colts really pick him up in the draft. It wouldn't be good for the Texans. However, I do think they'll go with defense in the 1st. Not sure if Crowder fits well into Dungy's Cover 2, but I think Burnett would be a good fit. Blackstock might even do well in that scheme with his speed, but I'm not sure of his coverage ability. They could definately use a CB, but they could pick up a couple good ones in later rounds. If Hawthorne can command double teams from time to time then it will free up Freeny and Mathis to cause mass chaos in the backfield.

texansalltheway
03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Not to be too critical but no way Seattle take a C with their 1st rd pick. They desperately need defense especially LB and with Crowder still available I don't see them getting Baas.

fresno8
03-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I didn't feel Crowder was worth the 23 so I addressed an area that needed youth and Baas is very good. DJ is the only LB off the board I'm sure there will be a good LB around in the 2nd or 3rd. They have 2 young safties (Hamlin is good, Boulware played a lot last year as a rookie) good CB's, have good youth (and some talent)at DT, Winstrom, Leverette, Cochran at DE. They have the skill players on O so I wanted to be sure to solidify line for years to come.

WildBlackBear32
03-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Good input.

Whoa whoa, ease up internet tough guy. He asked for feedback and I gave it.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
My pick wasn't the slam dunk decision some might be thinking it was. I debated betwwen several positions, but it came down to who I could get at 27 versus my later picks at each of the positions I feel the Bengals might be targeting. In the end it came down to Johnson versus Hawthorne; and between the two neither has a "perfect" draft resume. Johnson had some off the field issues early on at FSU, and Marv Lewis isn't usually to found of that kinda of stuff, plus I'm always leary of guys who have only had one good year in college, at least in the first round. I would have gone with Hawthorne, but I'm leary of the fact that his production in college might come from playing on one of the better D-lines in the nation last year; combined with the fact that his short shuttle and 3 cone drills were not as fast as I hoped. In the end I wen't with Johnson because he has teh higher ceiling and dominated at more times last year.

I was really trying to do something different from all the intrenet mocks, but alas I failed.

WildBlackBear32
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
I was really trying to do something different from all the intrenet mocks, but alas I failed.

Shoulda picked a QB then :heh: .

Errant Hothy
03-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Let's rephrase that, I wanted to do something different from all the Internet drafts, not something like the Bengals of old would do.

beerlover
03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
now this is funny we have two Matt Jones both from Arkansas that play QB, TE & WR :woot

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2005, 10:27 PM
:woot Hogs gone wild . Squeal like a pig !!

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 10:45 PM
now this is funny we have two Matt Jones both from Arkansas that play QB, TE & WR :woot

LoL...I almost screwed up like that last mock when I was about to take Odell Thurman in the 3rd thinking I had a steal, only to decide against it and take Mike Patterson...Turns out Thurman was taken in the early 2nd...Boy would I have felt like a jackass...

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Heh man I diden't think anyone would take Matt Jones in the first, I diden't even bother looking. Wow, he got picked by the Rams too, thats really early for him =\

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 11:07 PM
I also looked at the prospect list, just to see if he was even on there, and I looked under WR and it showed he haden't been taken. I just looked now and hes also under QB and he is taken under there.

F-minus67
03-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Maybe I'm slow but, why is everyone so high on Jones, He was a decent QB in college, but never really did much.

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Simply because he's not going to be a QB in the pros. He's going to be a WR. He's taller than Mike Williams, faster than Mike Williams, and bigger than Mike Williams. He also showed great hands at the Senior Bowl, caught his side's only touchdown. I think he can be a real threat in the endzone his first year atleast.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Everyone's high on Jones as a WR or TE...He'd be a great red-zone threat...I think he's 6"6' and ran a 4.45 at the combine...

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 11:11 PM
He also played a little bit of basketball with Arkansas, so he can leap pretty descent for a white guy.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
C'mon J, you know that no matter how much basketball you play, white men still can't jump :jumpbanan ...

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Tell that to Manuel Ginobli.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Ginobili is Argentinian, there's a big difference...

DoCt3rJ
03-23-2005, 11:18 PM
He's still white lol.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 11:22 PM
He's still white lol.

:rofl: lol: I guess...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Tell that to Matt "Air" Bullard!

F-minus67
03-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Larry Bird could get some air, back in the day that is.

D-ReK
03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
What about Shawn "Skywalker" Bradley...He's 7"6' and can barely dunk...I think he has a 2 inch vertical...

F-minus67
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
When your that tall, you don't need to jump that high.

D-ReK
03-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Really? Tall people don't have to jump as high as shorter people to dunk a basketball? I never would've guessed :wacko: ...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-24-2005, 10:59 PM
24 hour time limit is up

Fiddy
03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Dime is online though, I guess he is about to make his pick

Rosusu
03-25-2005, 01:47 AM
great pick on Pollack, he is a playmaker

Dime
03-25-2005, 02:11 AM
24 hour time limit is up

Sorry folks... misread on the pick time.. thought I had till morning... good thing I relogged tonight..

DoCt3rJ
03-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Ya, he would be a 1st rounderi if not for his slow 40. Sucks.. hes a real football player.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-25-2005, 09:58 AM
He has excellent quickness though. I think the main knock on Pollack are his short arms.

Lucky
03-25-2005, 12:36 PM
I guess Pollack is destined to be a 49er. wags took Pollack for the niners in Mock I with same pick at #33.

DoCt3rJ
03-25-2005, 05:47 PM
heh wow - how did 49ers get 3 picks in the 2nd round? and a 1st rounder? - looks lk he got some people pretty good ;)

royce1054
03-25-2005, 06:25 PM
I guess Pollack is destined to be a 49er. wags took Pollack for the niners in Mock I with same pick at #33.

To be honest in my 2 months of 8 hours a day searchin the NFL mock drafts, and posting on 3 sites... hearing arguements.. I have never seen some of those people go in those spots. Interesting

Dime
03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
heh wow - how did 49ers get 3 picks in the 2nd round? and a 1st rounder? - looks lk he got some people pretty good ;)

traded my 1st pick, 65th pick, 97th for 5th and 36th from the bucs...
then traded my 5th pick for my 11th and 42nd of the Cowboys...

Since then, I have traded my 36th pick for the 50th pick and 81st pick.

To me.. they have been all decent fair trades..

SESupergenius
03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
To be honest in my 2 months of 8 hours a day searchin the NFL mock drafts, and posting on 3 sites... hearing arguements.. I have never seen some of those people go in those spots. InterestingBecause that's how a draft works right, according the mock drafts that people put out? I'm sure everyone in Mockville had us trading up to get Babin last year.
:listening :listening

Hottoddie
03-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Man, has this draft bogged down, or what? Since I don't pick again until the 4th round, I might as well take a 2-3 week vacation. :wacko:

Maybe we should have a draft the weekend before the real draft, that follows the same rules as the real draft. In other words, 15 minutes for each 1st round pick & 5 minutes for each subsequent pick. The draft could start at 10:00 am (Houston time) Saturday & Sunday, & end when the last picks are made. I realize that some people might not be able to participate because of their jobs, but I'd bet that the majority could. :hmmm:

DoCt3rJ
03-26-2005, 01:59 PM
It would be hard for all participating drafties to be here to make their pick in under 5min and even 15min - alot of people would pick past it i bet, specially with the 5min. But ya, thatd be neat.

D-ReK
03-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I'd be all for that, but I doubt it would happen...Too many people would miss their picks due to other engagements...

Vinny
03-26-2005, 02:36 PM
The draft started a week ago and we are already in round 2. The real draft is one month away. This is also a holiday weekend so people are doing things. It's a slow draft. We keep the clock moving.

Honoring Earl 34
03-26-2005, 02:43 PM
:woot I find it funny the guy on the clock traded to get there then disapeared .

Vinny
03-26-2005, 02:47 PM
The clock is about being fair to everyone so they can get to a computer. Nobody ought to use it as if it was the time to do a deal. Deals should be done as your picks approach if possible.

Hottoddie
03-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Well, if they miss their picks, it'd be just like the real draft. Every team after them could keep jumping ahead of them, until they made their pick.

As for those that couldn't set a block of time aside, they shouldn't sign up to participate. Or, they could form a partnership(s) with posters they can trust & exchange their order of preference lists. That way, they could split the time up so that all the partners would be able to participate.

I'd love to do it, but with a mandatory weekend inventory coming up (they haven't decided when), with my luck, I might not be able to participate either.

Oh well, it was just a thought.

WildBlackBear32
03-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Well, if they miss their picks, it'd be just like the real draft. Every team after them could keep jumping ahead of them, until they made their pick.

As for those that couldn't set a block of time aside, they shouldn't sign up to participate. Or, they could form a partnership(s) with posters they can trust & exchange their order of preference lists. That way, they could split the time up so that all the partners would be able to participate.

I'd love to do it, but with a mandatory weekend inventory coming up (they haven't decided when), with my luck, I might not be able to participate either.

Oh well, it was just a thought.

Well, not everyone can be on at every moment of every day. I'm on A LOT most days, but there will be other times where I go away for 2-3 days a couple times a month. When mock drafting, it's all a crapshoot if said person will be there or not.

It would be best if someone was going to be away and their pick was coming to PM Vinny/Fiddy with a prioritized list of 4-5 guys...I wouldnt think that'd be too much to ask...

Vinny
03-26-2005, 02:59 PM

Oh well, it was just a thought.I don't understand the big problem we have. I make the vacant picks and this thing rolls on. If you have a list I will use it. We aren't just hoping this thing rolls. We do have a plan and its worked for years. I think we can pull though this one.

ArlingtonTexan
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Man, has this draft bogged down, or what? Since I don't pick again until the 4th round, I might as well take a 2-3 week vacation. :wacko:

Maybe we should have a draft the weekend before the real draft, that follows the same rules as the real draft. In other words, 15 minutes for each 1st round pick & 5 minutes for each subsequent pick. The draft could start at 10:00 am (Houston time) Saturday & Sunday, & end when the last picks are made. I realize that some people might not be able to participate because of their jobs, but I'd bet that the majority could. :hmmm:

The only time I have seen this work is when you set a specifc schedule for the person to either there or have his/her proxy list. Takes a ton of pre-organization most of these things around the net, but is effective and efficeint

Hottoddie
03-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't understand the big problem we have. I make the vacant picks and this thing rolls on. If you have a list I will use it. We aren't just hoping this thing rolls. We do have a plan and its worked for years. I think we can pull though this one.

Vinny,

I'm not being critical of the current draft. You guys are doing a great job at keeping it moving along. I just made a comment about it bogging down, & part of that opinion has to do with me not having another pick until the 4th round. That's my problem.

The subsequent discussion was just me throwing an idea out there that I felt would be fun. Basically, us trying to mirror & experience what the real draft is all about with the pressure of making your picks & trades under a time restraint.

I'm sorry if this offended you or anyone else. It was just a thought from someone that doesn't have any real plans for this weekend. :tiptoe:

Vinny
03-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm not offended. I just like to explain. Probably too much.

Honoring Earl 34
03-26-2005, 05:01 PM
:hmmm: If the intention is to simulate the real draft , then we need to make the best choices for each team . I guess that means not skipping picks even though my fantasy sports instincts go crazy with that statement .

I do agree theres no flow to this draft so its easy to lose intrest .

Vinny
03-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I wish you guys that don't like it to just dump out and stop complaining. I never portrayed this as a quick draft and we have done this for years now. We don't skip picks because I make sure nobody goes more than one pick delinquent. This is a holiday weekend for many people. Don't be so shocked its slow right now.

Honoring Earl 34
03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
:thumbup Vinny it not a big deal , I feel the guys who like it get ansy waiting thats all .

texasguy346
03-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. Looks like we're making up for all the talk of the draft being bogged down. A few picks in a few minutes. Can't beat that.

Dime
03-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Amazing.. I try to wait until my turn is almost over because I have trade possiblities out there.. Now people are getting peaved because of this, tough. Come on... you knew the rules going into this. Why are you complaining.. :shocked

jgl35
03-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Is anyone selecting for the Bills? If not, I will do them if no one else wants them.

Honoring Earl 34
03-26-2005, 08:13 PM
:thumbup I did'nt like going almost 48 hrs without a pick being made by anyone .

Oilers/Texans
03-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I was on here Friday afternoon and approved a trade. I had no idea my new pick would come as early as Saturday. I thought with the 24 hour rule I'd have more time. I guess the picks before mine were made early Friday evening. I don't care much for the pick I received. But it's all just message board fun anyway so I don't worry about it. Maybe I'll have better luck in round 3. :thumbup

royce1054
03-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Because that's how a draft works right, according the mock drafts that people put out? I'm sure everyone in Mockville had us trading up to get Babin last year.
:listening :listening

its just some players you have taken here arent the teams needs, or players that arent projected 1st rounders. :thumbdown

Vinny
03-27-2005, 02:34 AM
:thumbup I did'nt like going almost 48 hrs without a pick being made by anyone .Perhaps you could try PM'ing Fiddy or myself next time there is a lapse in the timing? Would that not be more productive? I wasn't aware of any 48 hour lapse but I have been busy this weekend and never noticed the mock wasn't updated. I'll take the blame on this if you need someone to point a finger at. Otherwise, just bring things like that to our attention. It beats getting all frustrated with it.

Honoring Earl 34
03-27-2005, 07:23 AM
:thumbup Vinny its just a part of the trading process I understand . Is this a simulation of what might happen or just for something to do ?

texasguy346
03-27-2005, 08:06 AM
It's basically something fun to do that allows all of us to get better educated about the prospects coming into the league come April. It would be nearly impossible to conduct a 4 Round mock that was an accurate prediction of the draft in April. You could pour countless hours into researching each particular team and still end up being way off base. By the time this draft is over you'll end up with a greater knowledge of the players you already know, and I'm sure you'll hear of a few guys you didn't know about. It takes a little patience, but in the end it's worth it. IMO This mock is moving more smoothly than the last one now that Vinny is making the pick for absent teams. We're already into Round 2, and by the time we wrap up Round 4 the real NFL Draft shouldn't be too far away. Great way to deal with the offseason.

Honoring Earl 34
03-27-2005, 08:13 AM
:woot What I really hate is the guys in front of me keep picking my players . Thats not fair.

texasguy346
03-27-2005, 08:18 AM
:woot What I really hate is the guys in front of me keep picking my players . Thats not fair.

Yeah that makes it a little tough. Seriously some of these guys must have a psychic power thing going on because they knew exactly the guys I wanted. This time I'm putting my list of prospects in a box made of solid lead. You know just in case Superman tries to steal a peek. :thumbup

Honoring Earl 34
03-27-2005, 08:27 AM
:thumbup I'm wearing tin foil over my head so my brain waves don't leak out . This way I'm sure to get Chance Mock.

Vinny
03-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Its a looooong off-season 34. It seems like we have been a month away from the draft for a few months now. I've had enough of staring at these names myself. I'm ready to see them prove they can translate their games to the NFL instead all of us pretending that all these guys will come in and improve their new teams just because they are the new guys.

Lucky
03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Dime took my guy right in front of me. :mad: My pick is for sale if someone is interested. There are still some your favorite players available like Luis Castillo, Ciatrick Fason, & Fabian Washington. If you want to move up & take of these guys (or anyone else), let me know.

Dime
03-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Dime took my guy right in front of me. :mad: My pick is for sale if someone is interested. There are still some your favorite players available like Luis Castillo, Ciatrick Fason, & Fabian Washington. If you want to move up & take of these guys (or anyone else), let me know.

Rofl... I will trade you my Brodney Pool pick (#42) for your #43 and #104 pick... grin...

texasguy346
03-27-2005, 10:34 PM
:thumbup I'm wearing tin foil over my head so my brain waves don't leak out . This way I'm sure to get Chance Mock.

Since my pick is coming up I think I'll steal that idea. Just to be on the safe side I'll use the heavy duty aluminum foil. :wacko:

Lucky
03-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I trade the Giants pick #43 for the Chiefs picks at #46 & #110 (could be #116 if comp picks included). Honoring Earl 34 selected Luis Castillo DT Northwestern at #43. The Cardinals (Fiddy) are on the clock.

Honoring Earl 34
03-28-2005, 08:48 AM
:woot All right now that I have Castillo , did he fall or is about where he should go ? On Nfl.com he had the highest ratio of power or something like that and was an academic All American . I figured he might go in the first . He is now a part of the Chiefs sieve like Defense .

D-ReK
03-28-2005, 10:42 AM
If there's one person that goes in the first that no one thought would, it would be Castillo...He had a great combine and he has good size...I could see him going as early as 25th overall to the Broncos...

beerlover
03-28-2005, 10:59 AM
If there's one person that goes in the first that no one thought would, it would be Castillo...He had a great combine and he has good size...I could see him going as early as 25th overall to the Broncos...

Drew Boylhart of the Huddle just came out with a new Mock Draft (that I posted excerpts from in Mock Draft thread) had Denver taking Castillo with the 25th pick :thumbup

Honoring Earl 34
03-28-2005, 12:35 PM
:thumbup I figured the Chiefs are not getting any younger and with the free agents they picked up I will go for it . They still have a very good OL so if they can stop someone they may make some waves .

Can I start the contract talks with Rogers and Castillo or is this only a mock draft ?

wags
03-28-2005, 01:10 PM
That's an interesting pick for the Panthers. Did the Cats consider a TE like Smith for the pick? TE seems like a weak spot for them.

D-ReK
03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
That's an interesting pick for the Panthers. Did the Cats consider a TE like Smith for the pick? TE seems like a weak spot for them.

Fason is a good pick for them...They're a run-heavy team that has oft-injured RBs...While TE does look like a weak spot for them, I doubt they'll take a first day TE...In their scheme, the main responsibility of the TE is to block, not receive...

texasguy346
03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I considered picking up a TE, but Smith just didn't seem like he should go that high. I'm thinking I can still get the TE I have my eye on in the 3rd or 4th and still get good value for the pick. If everything goes according to plan I should end up with the guys I want for the Panthers. I thought for sure that Fason would be gone early in the 2nd. I feel that Foster is best suited as a situational back to come in from time to time to rest the starter. Foster seems to excell at running to the outside whereas Fason can run inside or outside, but doesnt have the same break away speed as Foster. IMO Fason will make an excellent starting RB, and with Davis getting long in the tooth it won't be long before Fason and Foster will share the backfield. Can't beat that combination.

Fiddy
03-28-2005, 09:08 PM
So there is my draft: Carnell Williams, Odell Thurman, Justin Tuck. I like it, but I may be in the minority.

Lucky
03-28-2005, 09:28 PM
So there is my draft: Carnell Williams, Odell Thurman, Justin Tuck. I like it, but I may be in the minority.
You should be happy. You picked up 3 outstanding athletes that produced at the collegiate level. No doubt that Denny Green would take that on the 1st day.

texasguy346
03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I think you've done a pretty good job for the Cardinals. You got three very talented players. The only thing I'd like to see them do is maybe pickup a young QB like Frye or Green or Fitzpatrick to learn from Warner. Then again Denny Green doesn't mind putting a backup in, and he's got McCown and Navarre at his disposal. Overall nice job. :thumbup

Fiddy
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
The only thing I'd like to see them do is maybe pickup a young QB like Frye or Green or Fitzpatrick to learn from Warner. Then again Denny Green doesn't mind putting a backup in, and he's got McCown and Navarre at his disposal. Overall nice job. :thumbupI was thinking about picking up Orton or Jason Campbell in the 3rd but I couldnt believe that Tuck was still on the board so I traded all my remaining picks to get him because I think he will be a big time star in this league. I would love for the Texans to pick him up in the real draft.

texasguy346
03-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I was thinking about picking up Orton or Jason Campbell in the 3rd but I couldnt believe that Tuck was still on the board so I traded all my remaining picks to get him.

I took a look at him too, but since the Panthers already have a young and dominant pass rusher in Peppers I felt I had to pass on him. You definately got three first round type talent players. Not bad. :thumbup

Vinny
03-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I like Tuck quite a bit myself. I would have traded up for him too. Denny should do so well.

Hottoddie
03-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Good choice with Tuck. I believe that he's going to be a star in the NFL. The kid has improved his game in each of his 3 years at Notre Dame & he's still growing. He should have no problem getting up to around 280 lbs, without losing any of his speed, or quickness.

Honoring Earl 34
03-29-2005, 03:30 PM
:thumbup NFL.com has comp picks and it shows the Chiefs with a 3rd rounder (99th) overall . Does this mean I get another pick ?

beerlover
03-30-2005, 02:29 AM
while doing anaylsis of prospects available with the 49th pick I began to focus more & more on Fabian Washington the similaties to Dunta Robinson are impressive, I think this kid may be one of the draft day steals :) if he slips this far down in the draft I would really hope the Texans take him with their 2nd rd pick. their measureables coming out of College are near identical- both the same height 5-10 and weight 184 with similar speed (Dunta 4.34, Fabian 4.29/4.31) & vertical (Dunta 38 1/2", Fabian 41 1/2).

I believe both where also track stars & Fabian also dabbled in Basketball. Fabien enlisted the same sports agency, Sportstars as Dunta. it would also be kinda cool (although not really revelent to this discussion) to reunite Washington with Lord (former Nebraska QB, now Safety for the Texans). both are excellent cover corners that excell in various packages including nickle & dime as well as corner blitzing. they say speed kills & that you can't teach it, well in both cases you'd be 100% right.

This is a really deep draft for CB's so its difficult to evaluate so much talent against one another, but I really like the comparison to Robinson & think he grades out as a 1st round pick.

DoCt3rJ
03-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Fabian is very good, he will be one of the top 3 corners of this class. He posted consistent numbers in college, has the speed/coverage combo, when I watched him he did rely on his speed but he also had good coverage and took good positions.

Lucky
03-30-2005, 03:09 PM
while doing anaylsis of prospects available with the 49th pick I began to focus more & more on Fabian Washington the similaties to Dunta Robinson are impressive, I think this kid may be one of the draft day steals...
I remember the Huskers' defense as being pretty porous last season and Washington was part of that defense. Next to last in passing defense in the Big 12 (70 points to Tech?). There's no question that Washington has the athletic ability to play in the NFL, just as his Nebraska teammates Josh Bullock & Barrett Ruud do. But they didn't get the very best coaching in Lincoln and may be a year or so away from contributing on the pro level (besides special teams). I can't see Washington stepping in and becoming the impact player Robinson was as a rookie.

DoCt3rJ
03-30-2005, 03:10 PM
He won't make the impact of Dunta, he could get his # of interceptions though and pass deflections.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-30-2005, 03:21 PM
I think Justin Miller resembles Dunta the most from this year's draft class.

beerlover
03-30-2005, 03:25 PM
I remember the Huskers' defense as being pretty porous last season and Washington was part of that defense. Next to last in passing defense in the Big 12 (70 points to Tech?). There's no question that Washington has the athletic ability to play in the NFL, just as his Nebraska teammates Josh Bullock & Barrett Ruud do. But they didn't get the very best coaching in Lincoln and may be a year or so away from contributing on the pro level (besides special teams). I can't see Washington stepping in and becoming the impact player Robinson was as a rookie.

agreed I would not expect Washington stepping in & having the impact Robinson did as a rookie because the Texans now have depth & experience. But his learning curve as a Texan would enable him to contribute & take over Glenns starting position in a couple years, god forbid injury's to any of our corners. I like his speed & as you correctly alluded too did not receive very good coaching the last couple years at Nebraska, that would also contribute to him being undervalued, if he played at Texas or Oklahoma the odds are in his favor he would be a guaranteed 1st rd pick. if he where available for the Texans to draft #47 I think its a no brainer, assuming they don't go CB with the 13th pick.

beerlover
03-30-2005, 03:27 PM
I think Justin Miller resembles Dunta the most from this year's draft class.

Justin is slower and thicker although their running style is similar. I like Justin too but I was looking at taking a CB in the 2nd round not the 1st.

Dime
03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
It wouldnt have made it past 50th pick

while doing anaylsis of prospects available with the 49th pick I began to focus more & more on Fabian Washington the similaties to Dunta Robinson are impressive, I think this kid may be one of the draft day steals :) if he slips this far down in the draft I would really hope the Texans take him with their 2nd rd pick. their measureables coming out of College are near identical- both the same height 5-10 and weight 184 with similar speed (Dunta 4.34, Fabian 4.29/4.31) & vertical (Dunta 38 1/2", Fabian 41 1/2).

I believe both where also track stars & Fabian also dabbled in Basketball. Fabien enlisted the same sports agency, Sportstars as Dunta. it would also be kinda cool (although not really revelent to this discussion) to reunite Washington with Lord (former Nebraska QB, now Safety for the Texans). both are excellent cover corners that excell in various packages including nickle & dime as well as corner blitzing. they say speed kills & that you can't teach it, well in both cases you'd be 100% right.

This is a really deep draft for CB's so its difficult to evaluate so much talent against one another, but I really like the comparison to Robinson & think he grades out as a 1st round pick.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
24 hour time limit is up.

Honoring Earl 34
03-30-2005, 07:36 PM
:woot What about the comp picks on NFL.com? Am I being ignored again .

Fiddy
03-30-2005, 07:44 PM
:woot What about the comp picks on NFL.com? Am I being ignored again .
My bad, I'll go over with it with Vinny but I dont see why we shouldnt give it to you and whoever else is suppose to receive them.

Honoring Earl 34
03-30-2005, 07:50 PM
:woot Thats good news I was on the porch for the rest of the draft . But now I get to track picks and think who's gonna be there I don't have to get a life after all.

beerlover
03-30-2005, 10:09 PM
My bad, I'll go over with it with Vinny but I dont see why we shouldnt give it to you and whoever else is suppose to receive them.

I totally agree :thumbup its not too late lets do it for all the teams as sanctioned by the league.

Fiddy
03-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah, we are giving them I just need to put them into the list which may take some time. Dont worry, I'll have the picks up by the end of the 2nd round.

swtbound07
03-30-2005, 11:23 PM
dang it fiddy...i was eyeing webster hard.....snatched him....outmanaged by a substitute gm :thumbdown

Honoring Earl 34
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
:woot Great Blue North Draft Report has a new 3 round mock out . We take Cadilac in the first . The CB from VT I think his name is Green 2nd. We take Gibson WR Georgia (3A) and Munoz OT from Tennesee with (3B).

texasguy346
03-31-2005, 01:57 PM
I see Green more as a FS than a CB. But thats just my opinion.

DoCt3rJ
03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Your probably right on Green possibly, he's almost in the 4.6 range.

beerlover
04-02-2005, 09:54 AM
With the 57th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft the NY Jets Select:
Bryant McFadden CB 6-0, 185 Florida State

After taking Miller in the first round the Jets look to fill the biggest hole on the team. McFadden should vasty improve a seconary that has many holes. The Jets could have gone OT with this pick as it is their next biggest need, but with one of my top 5 CBs still on the board I went with defense.

curious about your top 5 CB's & why?

Antrell Rolle
Carlos Rogers
Adam Pac Man Jones
Justin Miller
Bryant McFadden

:confused:

Do you actually consider McFadden better than

Corey Webster
Brandon Browner
Eric Green
Marlin Jackson
Fabian Washington

RiotCommander
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
curious about your top 5 CB's & why?

Antrell Rolle
Carlos Rogers
Adam Pac Man Jones
Justin Miller
Bryant McFadden

:confused:

Do you actually consider McFadden better than

Corey Webster
Brandon Browner
Eric Green
Marlin Jackson
Fabian Washington

Well your top 5 is actually close to mine

Antrell Rolle
Adam Pac Man Jones
Carlos Rogers
Justin Miller
Bryant McFadden

Now, of course this is only my opinion, but I feel that a lot of the other players you listed were high on some mock drafts because of speed or size rather then skill.

beerlover
04-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Well your top 5 is actually close to mine

Antrell Rolle
Adam Pac Man Jones
Carlos Rogers
Justin Miller
Bryant McFadden

Now, of course this is only my opinion, but I feel that a lot of the other players you listed were high on some mock drafts because of speed or size rather then skill.

that is not my top 5 I was simply quessing what yours had to be given the fact as you stated Bryant McFadden was in your top 5. my top 5 would look the same except delete McFadden and implant Marlin Jackson. after Jackson I think that Fabian Washington gets the nod based upon his upside & 4.29 speed which is critical @ the NFL CB positon with the new rules, the corners have to be able to shawdow then close at will & fabian has the wheels to do it.

McFadden is a fine CB prospect however and a good pick-up here (5-11 3/8, 188) ran his 40s in 4.41 and 4.50 :)

RT2
04-03-2005, 11:29 AM
NM. RT2 :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown

Vinny
04-03-2005, 12:37 PM
pretty funny.

I'm fixing it right now. HBTC, I just gave you the next best TE prospect on the board. I wouldn't have picked a TE at this point because I think there are better prospects at other positions, but Everett is a better pick than Ben Utecht and this honors your TE wishes.

DoCt3rJ
04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Top 5 corners as far as skill (pure playmaking ability)

1. Pac Man Jones
2. Marlin Jackson
3. Carlos Rogers
4. Justin Miller
5. Corey Webster

Bryant McFadden just out of the top 5

Top 5 corners as far as potential (speed and/or size)

1. Antrell Rolle (size and speed)
2. Brandon Browner(great size)
3. Pac Man Jones(speed and quickness)
4. Fabian Washington(one of the fastest corners)
5. Carlos Rogers(size - 6'0 - along with 4.3 speed)

swtbound07
04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
i was just wondering if i could get some feedback on the falcons draft so far.....
1st- mark clayton
3rd- mike patterson

texansalltheway
04-04-2005, 03:51 PM
The picks are solid but I didn’t understand trading up for Clayton. The Vikings were the only team with a real need for a receiver and they already got Edwards.

swtbound07
04-05-2005, 01:03 AM
the only team with a real need for receiver? Nah man, atlanta has a super shaky receiving corp. Peerless price was a bust as a trade, dez white is garbage, and jenkins needs more time. The falcons needed to pull one of the top 4 receivers.....williams, edwards, williamson,or clayton, and i saw the first 3 vanish off the board, and had no reason to believe that clayton would be there that late...and i kept my 2nd and 4th round pick, so i thought i came out okay.
As far as my 2nd round pick goes, thats where i was unsure, but it seemed solid

DoCt3rJ
04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
True that, Atlanta does need a solid catching receiver. But trading up for Clayton? I dont know about that..

Lucky
04-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Reggie Brown or Fred Gibson? (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=101396&postcount=70)

Are the Titans getting a 2 fer deal on these dawg?

Vinny
04-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Too funny. I guess they get a Georgia guy regardless.

I'm giving them the incoherent guy with more physical talent. Gibson.

D-ReK
04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I didn't even know I was on the clock, my bad guys :dontknowa :thud:

texansalltheway
04-07-2005, 11:07 PM
hey DoCt3rJ I was wondering f you want to trade Mitchell for the Lions #77 and #113

Blake
04-08-2005, 11:00 AM
15 days left till draft day. I dont think we will see the end of this mock by then.

texasguy346
04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
We'll be through the 3rd Round by then, and possibly halfway through the 4th. Remember that the first day of the draft is rounds 1 through 3, and then day two is rounds 4 through 7. Considering how long the first couple of rounds takes for the actual draft I think we'll be able to wrap this draft up before the actual draft gets through round 4.

texasguy346
04-09-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm a little surprised Minnesota didn't go for a LB, but they'll sure have a very competitive and formidable DLine. Udeze, P. Williams, K. Williams, James. Then they've got Babineaux, Mixon, Martin all on the bench. They've also got good depth at CB with the addition of Washington. LB seemed like their only weakness, but with CBs that can cover well and a DLine like that they may not need much else.

beerlover
04-10-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm a little surprised Minnesota didn't do for a LB, but they'll sure have a very competitive and formidable DLine. Udeze, P. Williams, K. Williams, James. Then they've got Babineaux, Mixon, Martin all on the bench. They've also got good depth at CB with the addition of Washington. LB seemed like their only weakness, but with CBs that can cover well and a DLine like that they may not need much else.

I like that feedback, very acute :cool:

both Erasmus & Jonathan are explosive defensive line talents, thier only limitations are health issues, along with Udeze who seems to have his shoulder flare up to upgrade the line with such talent also requires risk which is aleviated by adding two of the premier pass rushers in this draft. Babin's real impact initially will be special teams as is the norm for 3rd round picks. However with his positive attitude & ability to overcome odds his upside was just to much to ignore. honestly here is another player that I'd love to become a Texan, well really he is already a Texan but you know what I mean.

Dime
04-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Ok, if peeps are interested in why I took Darren, to me, this guy (even though he is not rated very high at all) reminds me of "Barry Sanders".... Yes, I said Barry. This guy is quick, shows great awareness, and he has awesome cutting ability. When watching him, I see people reach out to grab him, only to find nothing in thier hands. He might have not gone till the 4th round, but I like him and I am out of picks..

Dime
04-10-2005, 01:24 AM
BTW

Now that I am out of picks..

my draft for the 49'ers was:

#11 Alex Smith , QB
#33 David Pollack, DE
#42 Brodney Pool, FS
#50 Adam Terry, OT
#81 Darren Sproles, RB

Based on the needs (big needs) of the 49'ers, I believe I filled the major positions needed with maybe a exception of a WR since putting on a new QB.
The O-line is strong except for 1 man (where adam will fill in), a QB is a must to put this team back in the run, DE has been needed on one side badly and FS was also in demand to the point they were about to pull one of thier CB's back to cover it.

What you all think?

beerlover
04-10-2005, 10:43 AM
BTW

#11 Alex Smith , QB
#33 David Pollack, DE
#42 Brodney Pool, FS
#50 Adam Terry, OT
#81 Darren Sproles, RB

Based on the needs (big needs) of the 49'ers, I believe I filled the major positions needed with maybe a exception of a WR since putting on a new QB.
The O-line is strong except for 1 man (where adam will fill in), a QB is a must to put this team back in the run, DE has been needed on one side badly and FS was also in demand to the point they were about to pull one of thier CB's back to cover it.
What you all think?

Alex Smith, David Pollack & Brodney Pool are excellent value picks which might fit the new moneyball mentality of the 49ers front office. but that would mean they are passing on Aaron Rodgers who would be a better fit for the west coast style & I can't see Pollack playing DE in the NFL he is a OLB, if you wanted a DE with that pick (#33) I would have went Justin Tuck. Pool is undersized and will need to add strength to his frame & become a gym rat in order to make an impact at Safety in the NFL.

I like Terry but he needs time to develop + he's an east coast kid so alot will depend on how he adjusts to San Franciso. Your right about Sproles this kid can play regardless of his measurables & given a chance in the right system will make an impact.

RT2
04-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Don't hold back, let me know your thoughts. RT2 :hmmm:

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure if Canty would be a good fit with the Ravens since they're dropping the 3-4, but I like him as a prospect, so good pick...

Lucky
04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Don't hold back, let me know your thoughts. RT2 :hmmm:
Seems about the right time for Canty to go off the board. If not for the season ending knee injury & that brawl he got into, Canty might have been a late 1st round pick. Canty looks like a good fit as a LDE opposite Terrell Suggs. Good pick. :thumbup

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
starting to fall behind with this mock draft

we have 1 1/2 rounds to go with only 10 days left

Vinny
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Don't hold back, let me know your thoughts. RT2 :hmmm:I think he can become a Michael Strahan type DE in a 4-3. I think someone takes him higher than this slot in the draft....which can't come soon enough for me.

Vinny
04-13-2005, 07:05 PM
starting to fall behind with this mock draft

we have 1 1/2 rounds to go with only 10 days leftPerhaps we can scale down to a 12 hr clock or something.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Yea, that's what I would do.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-13-2005, 10:04 PM
24 hours is up. Get this pick done so we can get the draft rolling again.

Blake
04-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Perhaps we can scale down to a 12 hr clock or something.

I like the Idea. You shouldnt need 24 hours after the first 10 picks. Anyways, HowBoutThemCowboys! time is up, if we are using a 12 hour clock.

Hes got Charlie Fry, Kevin Everett, Chris Kemoeatu, and still needs a FS, SS, and CB.

I would give him:

James Butler FS 6-2, 210 Georgia Tech
or
Antonio Perkins CB 6-0, 190 Oklahoma

D-ReK
04-14-2005, 05:09 PM
I'd take Butler for them...Let's keep this rolling...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-14-2005, 07:01 PM
So is the 12 hour time limit official?

Vinny
04-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I just talked to Fiddy. We can make it official.

D-ReK
04-14-2005, 07:40 PM
So Hoth-Boy is on the clock...Let's keep this rolling...

Errant Hothy
04-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Am I really on the clock?

D-ReK
04-16-2005, 10:51 AM
*shakes fist and casts an evil eye in Lucky's direction* You stole my pick...I was really hoping Arrington would slide to me...Oh well...

Lucky
04-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Am I really on the clock?
I think D-Rek is on the clock with his comp pick.

Honoring Earl 34
04-17-2005, 08:48 AM
:thumbup If its a 12 hour rule and nobody has picked can you jump two places ? I'm locked and loaded just waiting to pick a hybrid of two Buckeye players Maurice Clarret and Alonzo Spellman . Yes you guys left him on the board . :woot

Hottoddie
04-17-2005, 09:46 AM
:thumbup If its a 12 hour rule and nobody has picked can you jump two places ? I'm locked and loaded just waiting to pick a hybrid of two Buckeye players Maurice Clarret and Alonzo Spellman . Yes you guys left him on the board . :woot

According to the new 12 hour rule, Fresno8 has about 2 hours to go, & then you can jump all over it. This is the 2nd time that CoachJim has missed his pick & he's got another comp. pick coming up at the end of the 3rd round. I wonder if he's given up on the mock?

Fiddy
04-17-2005, 10:23 AM
No jumping 2 people...

Any ideas on who the Broncos should take??? I'm thinking Frank Gore, OG, or a WR. Anyone got some names???

Hottoddie
04-17-2005, 10:25 AM
No jumping 2 people...

Any ideas on who the Broncos should take??? I'm thinking Frank Gore, OG, or a WR. Anyone got some names???

With Denver, you can't go wrong choosing a RB.

Fiddy
04-17-2005, 10:28 AM
With Denver, you can't go wrong choosing a RB.
Just for minute, close your eyes and imagine pre-knee injuries Frank Gore behind the Denver o-line.... :wacko: :shocked :whew

Can you think of anyone else or should we pick Gore for them???

Hottoddie
04-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Here's a nice OG.

Justin Geisinger (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/geisinger_justin)

Positives: Has a massive frame with a thick chest, wide waist and hips, big bubble, thick legs and good leg drive … Collegiate tackle who could shift to guard at the pro level to take advantage of his trap-blocking ability and strength … Enforcer-type who does a good job of staying low in his pads, coming off the snap with arms properly extended to get under the defender's jersey … Tenacious drive blocker who works hard to stay with his blocks … Keeps his feet wide to maintain balance in pass protection, showing the ability to wall off and pull for the ground game … While lacking sustained speed, he does well in the short area to generate the quickness to get to the edge to cut off the linebackers, showing true aggression in run support … Shows good hip snap and roll to effectively seal off the edge rush … One thing you quickly notice about his game is he flashes aggression blocking in-line and delivers a hand punch into the defender's chest consistently … Has made strides in improving his foot agility in order to get to the drop point in his pass protection … Knows how to use his upper-body power to push off the defender and then use his hands to sustain and gain leverage … His ability to remain focused when anchoring down gives him the ability to quickly recover vs. the stunts … Adequate incline blocker, thanks to proper hand technique and punch.

Negatives: Slow-footed type who has trouble containing the speed rushers … Lacks agility on the move, appearing stiff in his hips … Limited by short arm length … Shows good playing strength, but struggles with lateral movement and the speed rush … Limited when working in space, as he cannot redirect and recover when beaten … Shows effort and signs of a stong hand punch, but is very stiff and un-athletic getting his hands up into a defender's chest … Could possibly be moved inside, but needs to develop better change-of-direction skills and foot speed.

AGILITY

CAMPUS: 5.43 in the 40-yard dash … 600-pound bench press … 650-pound back squat … 350-pound power clean … Bench presses 225 pounds 43 times (all weight results are school records) … 26½-inch vertical jump … Right-handed.

COMBINE: 5.37 in the 40-yard dash … 3.12 20-yard dash … 1.86 10-yard dash … 4.62 20-yard shuttle … 7.87 three-cone drill … 25-inch vertical jump … 7-foot-11 broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 34 times … 32¾-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands.

Hottoddie
04-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think CoachJim realizes he's got 2 compensatory picks. He's been on & off the board several times. I sent him a PM to alert him, but who knows when he might get it?

Vinny
04-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I just got here. If he is over his time then go ahead and make the pick. If I don't show up on time and someone is due...just decide amongst yourselves with Fiddy's direction.

Vinny
04-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Any suggestions for the Seahawks pick? I don't think he is going to show up again.

D-ReK
04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I say either a CB like Antonio Perkins or a LB like maybe Rian Wallace since word is they could be releasing Chad Brown and Bobby Taylor come June 1st...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Michael Boley

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Fiddy, Michael Boley is 236 lbs.

D-ReK
04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
According to NFL.Com, Boley is 228 lbs...

Fiddy
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Fiddy, Michael Boley is 236 lbs.I read 235 some places and 220 in others. I think his playing weight last year was around 220.

let me check into it

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
He weighed in at 236 at the combine.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/combine/positions/olb.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/combinebypos.php?genpos=OLB&sortorder=LastN&order=ASC

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/61532.html

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/Profiles/michaelboleyprofile.htm

Fiddy
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Boley has a lanky frame and needs to put on additional bulk. He is a very athletic linebacker, but is sorely lacking in playing strength...He is better suited to make plays on the move, as he will get engulfed trying to take on blocks at the line of scrimmage...Based on his frame, lack of strength and inability to shed blockers, it is apparent that he will not play strongside linebacker in the pros.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/boley_michael

I'm a fan of the big powerful LB for a 4-3

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-18-2005, 06:07 PM
I just thought the Seahawks needed a playmaker at LB. Wallace is still a good pick though.

Fiddy
04-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I just thought the Seahawks needed a playmaker at LB. Wallace is still a good pick though.Yeah, I think Boley can be a player, I just like Wallace a little more...

Fiddy
04-18-2005, 06:47 PM
It's been brought to my attention that the Patriots pick is also up...

So what direction should they go???

I'm thinking Jammal Brimmer from UNLV. I think it's time they start grooming a SS behind Harrison.

DRIFTAWAY
04-18-2005, 06:55 PM
BTW

#11 Alex Smith , QB
#33 David Pollack, DE
#42 Brodney Pool, FS
#50 Adam Terry, OT
#81 Darren Sproles, RB

What you all think?

I woulda taken a WR instead of sproles, but otherwise the 49ers should be happy.

D-ReK
04-18-2005, 06:56 PM
It's been brought to my attention that the Patriots pick is also up...

So what direction should they go???

I'm thinking Jammal Brimmer from UNLV. I think it's time they start grooming a SS behind Harrison.

I say either J.R. Russell from Louisville or either O.J. Atogwe or Gerald Sensabaugh as their young safety...

Blake
04-18-2005, 07:03 PM
going off of their team needs on NFLdraftcountdown.com, the only ones not filled are CB, WR, and T.

WR - Larry Brackins, Pearl River Community College
Height: 6-43/8
Weight: 205
40-Yard: 4.54

CB - Stanley Wilson, Stanford
Height: 5-113/4
Weight: 185
40-Yard: 4.40

T - Jeremy Parquet, Southern Miss
Height: 6-63/4
Weight: 323
40-Yard: 5.25

I would give him Wilson.

texasguy346
04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Can't go wrong with Brimmer. He definately has a knack for making plays.

Hottoddie
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey Fiddy,

You might as well go for the trifecta. :heh: CoachJim has missed his last 2 picks & seems to have given up on the mock. Now might be the right time to give them Frank Gore or Maurice Clarett.

Oh well, just a thought.

Blake
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
*************PATS PICK***************

J.R. Russell WR 6-3, 195 Louisville

The Pats take a youthful WR to replace Patten, and Brown.

*************PATS PICK****************

Fiddy
04-19-2005, 05:12 PM
*************PATS PICK***************

J.R. Russell WR 6-3, 195 Louisville

The Pats take a youthful WR to replace Patten, and Brown.

*************PATS PICK****************I was thinking WR but dont forget that they singed David Terrell, who may turn into some as a 3rd WR, and they drafted PK Sam last year.

Blake
04-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey. I just finished drafting for the bucs, and here are the final picks, and why.

Round 1 #1) WR - Mike Williams - USC
Dont really need a explanation. Will be a endzone threat like no other.

Round 3 #65) OG - Marcus Johnson - Ole Miss
Lost Cosey Coleman in the offseason, so a replacement was needed.

Round 3 #71) RB - Vernand Morency - Oklahoma St.
A premier runner was needed to fade out Pittman.

Round 3 #91) K - Mike Nugent - Ohio St.
Gruden likes to have good kickers, and at the end of round 3, was a shocker to still be around.

Round 4 #102) QB - Kyle Orton - Perdue
Simms might be out the door to cleveland, and Griese isnt anything special. A boom or bust type of player.

Round 4 #107) FS - Oshiomogho Atogwe - Stanford
The resigned Dexter Jackson, but depth was needed at the overall S spot.

Thanks for any feedback.

D-ReK
04-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Good Bucs picks...I think I'm one of the only people that thinks that Orton could develop into a good pro QB...

texan279
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
The final picks for the texan279 Dolphins are:

1st round (#2) - Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn
2nd round - no pick
3rd round (#70) - Jason Campbell, QB Auburn
4th round (#104) - Craphonso Thorpe, WR Florida State

Hottoddie
04-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Well, that concludes the Dallas Cowboy's draft. How did I do?

#5) Derrick Johnson, LB, UT
#20) Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
#109) Jeremy Parquet, OT, Southern Mississippi