PDA

View Full Version : Five things to watch: Texans at Saints

Wolf
08-20-2010, 11:29 PM
METAIRIE, La. - Here are five things to watch for when the Texans face the New Orleans Saints in their second preseason game at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. CT.

The game will air in Houston on ABC-13 TV (KTRK) in high definition and on SportsRadio 610 AM and KILT 100.3 FM.

Action, Jackson: Rookie cornerback Kareem Jackson, the first-round pick out of Alabama, will make his NFL debut on Saturday in the Superdome. Jackson did not play in the Texans' preseason opener at Arizona because he was attending his grandmother's funeral.

"It was definitely hard going through that with my family and missing the first preseason game," Jackson said. "I was really looking forward to coming out and getting a taste of a game situation. I think I've come back and picked up where I left off. I'm just getting better every day."

Jackson held his own in practices this week against quarterback Drew Brees and the Saints' versatile receiving corps. Texans coach Gary Kubiak has been impressed by the rookie's progress and is ready to see him on the field.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6298

beerlover
08-21-2010, 02:03 AM
like Shapton & Jackson watch but could think of other things worth keeping tabs on:

Rackers/Kris Brown kicking duties
Can Slaton hold onto the ball
After Slaton who will win bulk of carries JJ or Chris Henry
DT rotation did the Texans interior DL improve?
battle of TE's after Dreessen is Casey having another solid game or does rookie Garrett Graham look to be second coming of injured Owen Daniels

plenty more, pick your posion :logo:

dalemurphy
08-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Very excited about this game. Last season, I think it was the game versus New Orleans when we realized we had lots of defensive issues. Not this season!

Here's our preview of the game: Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/preview-orleans-watch-saturday/news/)

Also, LZ emailed me about a couple things regarding the OL play versus Arizona. We have been so excited about Shelley Smith's play at Texans Bull Blog and very down on Chris White. However, me mentioned that 3-4 teams tend to make Centers look bad and allow Guards to look much better, because they generally have nobody lined up over them. With 4-3 teams, it is the reverse. So, it will be interesting to see if Caldwell, Shelley Smith, and Studdard can grade out as well as they did at Arizona. Also, Chris White should look much Better.

76Texan
08-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Very excited about this game. Last season, I think it was the game versus New Orleans when we realized we had lots of defensive issues. Not this season!

Here's our preview of the game: Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/preview-orleans-watch-saturday/news/)

Also, LZ emailed me about a couple things regarding the OL play versus Arizona. We have been so excited about Shelley Smith's play at Texans Bull Blog and very down on Chris White. However, me mentioned that 3-4 teams tend to make Centers look bad and allow Guards to look much better, because they generally have nobody lined up over them. With 4-3 teams, it is the reverse. So, it will be interesting to see if Caldwell, Shelley Smith, and Studdard can grade out as well as they did at Arizona. Also, Chris White should look much Better.Always enjoy the read, DM!

About defense, I think there are different things that need to be considered, and not just the base scheme: Individual players, how the D want to attack, etc.

I think I heard somewhere that Brisiel will see some time at C in New Orleans?

76Texan
08-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Also, LZ emailed me about a couple things regarding the OL play versus Arizona. We have been so excited about Shelley Smith's play at Texans Bull Blog and very down on Chris White. However, me mentioned that 3-4 teams tend to make Centers look bad and allow Guards to look much better, because they generally have nobody lined up over them. With 4-3 teams, it is the reverse. So, it will be interesting to see if Caldwell, Shelley Smith, and Studdard can grade out as well as they did at Arizona. Also, Chris White should look much Better.
I just reviewed our first drive.
The Cards, whether in their 3-4 or in their nickel or dime package, generally chose to attack our guards with their big men.

dalemurphy
08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I just reviewed our first drive.
The Cards, whether in their 3-4 or in their nickel or dime package, generally chose to attack our guards with their big men.

I haven't reviewed the DVR tape with LZ's words in mind, but I do know that Shelley Smith was uncovered or shaded on both the highlights that I put on our site: http://www.texansbullblog.com/shelly-smith/news/, so it is definitely something I am going to watch for tonight.