PDA

View Full Version : TexansTalk Survivor Pick 'em League! JOIN NOW!

Dutchrudder
08-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Hey all, I know there are a lot of fantasy league invites going out around here, so I thought we could mix it up a bit and have a game type that everyone can join. There is no limit to how many people can join, so everyone who has a Yahoo account should join this group! If you don't have a Yahoo account, make one! Prove your football prowess around this board by winning it all!

It's easy to play, all you have to do is pick one team that will win its matchup each week. No spreads are used, only total points, the catch is that you can't pick the same team twice throughout the year. This league is single elimination, which means one wrong pick and you are out.

The winner or winners - if people survive the whole season - will have bragging rights over the next year. Feel free to amend your signature and give yourself a virtual trophy if you win it all!

How to sign up:

You have been invited to join Chris's Private Group in Yahoo! Sports Survival Football.

In order to join the group, just go to Survival Football (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival), and click the "Join a Group" button. From there, enter the following information...

Group ID#: 10386
Password: texanstalk

- Please do not invite non-board members to this league, I want to keep it in-house only.

JB
08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey all, I know there are a lot of fantasy league invites going out around here, so I thought we could mix it up a bit and have a game type that everyone can join. There is no limit to how many people can join, so everyone who has a Yahoo account should join this group! If you don't have a Yahoo account, make one! Prove your football prowess around this board by winning it all!

It's easy to play, all you have to do is pick one team that will win its matchup each week. No spreads are used, only total points, the catch is that you can't pick the same team twice throughout the year. This league is single elimination, which means one wrong pick and you are out.

The winner or winners - if people survive the whole season - will have bragging rights over the next year. Feel free to amend your signature and give yourself a virtual trophy if you win it all!

How to sign up:

- Please do not invite non-board members to this league, I want to keep it in-house only.

I'm in!

Dutchrudder
08-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Need more people for this!

Showtime100
08-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm in. DISCLAIMER: My wife is with me in this and her apparent lack of survival instincts made for a very short stay last year. I have a plan this year. Are sexual favor bet's between husband and wife in style these days? :yes:

Seņor Stan
08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm in!

Dutchrudder
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm in. DISCLAIMER: My wife is with me in this and her apparent lack of survival instincts made for a very short stay last year. I have a plan this year. Are sexual favor bet's between husband and wife in style these days? :yes:

I'm sure it can be if it's something unusual. Just make sure you're not betting too much on your end or you might regret it.

Showtime100
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm sure it can be if it's something unusual. Just make sure you're not betting too much on your end or you might regret it.

No regretting on this end. I'm getting her to pick every week in hopes she screws it up soon! (so to speak)

Showtime100
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM

No regretting on this end. I did say we are married, right? :D I'm getting her to pick every week in hopes she screws it up soon! (so to speak)

Dutchrudder
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
No regretting on this end. I'm getting her to pick every week in hopes she screws it up soon! (so to speak)

lol, tell her to pick Texans opponents each week, so if the team wins, you win too!

Dutchrudder
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Bumpity bump

Dutchrudder
08-25-2010, 08:52 AM
We have 10 teams so far, but we need you to join too! Yes YOU! Join now or forever be labeled a coward!

gary
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
The login info is not working for me.

Dutchrudder
08-26-2010, 09:02 AM
The login info is not working for me.

I'm not sure why you can't. I just tried it again and it told me I was already in the group. Make sure you are logged into Yahoo before signing up, and try copy/paste the info from my sig.

Did anyone else have issues signing up?

JB
08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure why you can't. I just tried it again and it told me I was already in the group. Make sure you are logged into Yahoo before signing up, and try copy/paste the info from my sig.

Did anyone else have issues signing up?

No problems for me

gary
08-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Did anyone else have issues signing up?I am in now I was looking at the wrong screen for normal fantsy football but it is not. Sorry.

Dutchrudder
08-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I am in now I was looking at the wrong screen for normal fantsy football but it is not. Sorry.

Cool. We got about 15 people now, but we need more!

If we don't get 25 people by the start of the season, I will drop a cat in a trash can! Please, think of the kittens!

:kitten::lion:

Dutchrudder
08-29-2010, 01:19 AM
I thought we had more survivalists on this board...

gary
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey, you might want to try sending a PM to a few posters and ask them to join. It is just an idea which has worked for me in the past.

ChrisG
08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
just signed up...hopefully i will remember every week

gary
08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
just signed up...hopefully i will remember every week
Did you request an e-mail reminder one or two days before?

Kaiser Toro
08-29-2010, 11:33 AM
IIRC, annually a member starts a Survivor thread and the entrants play through the thread.

gary
08-29-2010, 12:10 PM
How are we up to know?

Trail.Blazr
08-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Bump!

thanks for creating this. I'm in.

Let my season start with a proclimation:

My NFL and football knowledge mastery, to include prediction, will see the likes unknown to most! :aikido:

thunderkyss
08-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm in.

Dwade
08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
I signed up...and I can't decide who to pick for week one! Ahhhhhhhh

JCTexan
08-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I just joined.

Dutchrudder
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
FYI, I'm changing this Survival league to "3 strikes and you're out" instead of 1. Having 1 strike against you will rate you lower than someone who has none. So if two people at the end of the season are going at it, but one has a strike and the other doesn't, the winner will be the one with the least strikes. It will keep people in the game longer, which will make it more fun.

Also, this does continue through the playoffs if you survive that long.

Double Barrel
08-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm in.

thunderkyss
08-30-2010, 11:24 AM
FYI, I'm changing this Survival league to "3 strikes and you're out" instead of 1. Having 1 strike against you will rate you lower than someone who has none. So if two people at the end of the season are going at it, but one has a strike and the other doesn't, the winner will be the one with the least strikes. It will keep people in the game longer, which will make it more fun.

Also, this does continue through the playoffs if you survive that long.

That's cool, I like that.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, when it's just a 1 strike, these things have a tendency to end pretty quickly.

Texas T
08-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Just saw this and I'm willing to give it a try...I think my wife will kill me before this football season is over.

Four FFL and now this...

Giant Tiger
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm in

gary
09-04-2010, 07:10 PM
How is the league coming along?

thunderkyss
09-04-2010, 11:01 PM
25 members and growing.

Dutchrudder
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
NFL starts tomorrow! Join the leagues today so you don't miss out!!

thunderkyss
09-09-2010, 02:52 PM
NFL starts tomorrow! Join the leagues today so you don't miss out!!

Today.

Showtime100
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Bump.

I've got my pick in for tonight, just not the rest. Week 1 picks are toughies.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Bump.

I've got my pick in for tonight, just not the rest. Week 1 picks are toughies.

What do you mean? It's a survivor league. You only pick a team that you're certain they will win.

Showtime100
09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
What do you mean? It's a survivor league. You only pick a team that you're certain they will win.

Whoops. Wrong league. I've got all my picks in. One per. Yeah, I was thinking the other pick 'em leagues I'm in that are straight up picks for each game. My bad, carry on. :D

Actually, I did have think think about what game I picked this week in this league. :thinking:

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Whoops. Wrong league. I've got all my picks in. One per. Yeah, I was thinking the other pick 'em leagues I'm in that are straight up picks for each game. My bad, carry on. :D

Actually, I did have think think about what game I picked this week in this league. :thinking:

Heh, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure you didn't choose a team playing tonight because it's a tough game.

Showtime100
09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Heh, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure you didn't choose a team playing tonight because it's a tough game.

Appreciate it. :tiphat: Where this league/format is concerned I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Appreciate it. :tiphat: Where this league/format is concerned I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.

Agreed

Showtime100
09-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I need help. Typically in a survivor game when you pick your game for that week and a team to win. Once you use that team - that team is no longer available the rest of the way.

EXAMPLE: I pick the Texans to win in Wk #1 and they win. That means for the rest of the season I can't pick the Texans to win again.

Is that the way this is going to work?

I was about to post this and then I went to "team selections" and I see the list of players in a vertical column and teams across the top. I do believe that just answered my question. You can't use the same team twice.

Nevermind (unless this is incorrect) :texflag:

Dutchrudder
09-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Pick one team each week to win their game. You can't pick the same team twice including the playoffs.
Choose wisely.

Heath Shuler
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
To the two losers that picked the colts over the Texans (dougftw-SH & HOUSTON TEXANS; you know who you are):

http://www.ihasafunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ihasafunny-lmao.jpg

And to infantrycak ; great pick

http://www.halor.com/pinball/wsparts/balls.JPG

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Pick one team each week to win their game. You can't pick the same team twice including the playoffs.
Choose wisely.

Wait, what? If you can't pick playoff teams... that doesn't make any sense. Survivor football doesn't make any sense in the playoffs.

Dutchrudder
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Wait, what? If you can't pick playoff teams... that doesn't make any sense. Survivor football doesn't make any sense in the playoffs.

It's a way of finishing the game. Suppose you picked the 12 teams that make the playoffs on your way to a perfect season and another person made it that far as well. The guy who picked all the playoff teams would have no options week 18 when the playoffs start, so they would be automatically out whereas the other guy may keep going if his team wins.

A 'perfect season' would require a person to pick 21 teams without repeating, which also means you must not pick the conference winners throughout the season. Believe me, it won't matter because it's nearly impossible to go that far.

TD
09-13-2010, 11:37 PM
And to infantrycak ; great pick

You ain't kidding.

Least Popular Correct Pick: Houston

Only 0.05% of all participants picked Houston....and I bet 90% of those were middle school homers.

Nice job Cak :thumbup

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2010, 12:41 AM
It's a way of finishing the game. Suppose you picked the 12 teams that make the playoffs on your way to a perfect season and another person made it that far as well. The guy who picked all the playoff teams would have no options week 18 when the playoffs start, so they would be automatically out whereas the other guy may keep going if his team wins.

A 'perfect season' would require a person to pick 21 teams without repeating, which also means you must not pick the conference winners throughout the season. Believe me, it won't matter because it's nearly impossible to go that far.

All I can say is... thanks for strikes. Damned Chargers.

JCTexan
09-14-2010, 12:50 AM

Yeah, ten people picked the Chargers in the league (including me).

brakos82
09-14-2010, 01:20 AM
My strategy: Who's playing Buffalo? :lol:

TD
09-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I went zero for every fantasy sport/pick 'em game this week. I think I will switch to the dart board method. :cool:

Ditto on the Chargers. :(

Showtime100
09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
I went zero for every fantasy sport/pick 'em game this week. I think I will switch to the dart board method. :cool:

Ditto on the Chargers. :(

I should have had the same fate with Chicago but the "wisdom" of the NFL rulebook saved me. My stratagy of saving the best for later almost bit me.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Agreed! Nice way to start a survivor league HOU-TEX. :rolleyes:

JCTexan
10-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Strike two. The Cincinnati Bengals lost today giving me my second strike. I'm having a terrible time picking football games this year. :(

thunderkyss
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I had three strikes last week...... picking the F'kn Colts to beat the Jags.

A sure thing right????

JCTexan
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I had three strikes last week...... picking the F'kn Colts to beat the Jags.

A sure thing right????

Yeah, I need to learn from your mistakes. Picking Carolina, San Francisco & Seattle to win. Every week I need to pick against Buffalo. A winning strategy. :kingkong:

I almost actually went with Jacksonville over Buffalo this week... that was one of the few games I got right in the pick-em...

thunderkyss
10-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I need to learn from your mistakes. Picking Carolina, San Francisco & Seattle to win. Every week I need to pick against Buffalo. A winning strategy. :kingkong:

I almost actually went with Jacksonville over Buffalo this week... that was one of the few games I got right in the pick-em...

Silly me.

Being a survivor league, I had it set in my mind I shouldn't pick a team I know is going to the play-offs.... other wise I wouldn't be able to play when the play-offs came around.

JCTexan
10-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Silly me.

Being a survivor league, I had it set in my mind I shouldn't pick a team I know is going to the play-offs.... other wise I wouldn't be able to play when the play-offs came around.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing, which led me to pick Cincinnati instead of either Atlanta, Chicago or Baltimore this week. Three teams who have a better chance to make the playoffs.

JCTexan
11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Silly me.

I was reading the rules to this since I was going to pick Cleveland over Carolina instead of Pit over Buffalo because I wanted Pittsburgh for the playoffs. Instead I came across this:

To make this simple sounding game more of a challenge, you can only select each professional football team once during the regular season while an Active member of an individual group. Team restrictions will be reset at the beginning the playoffs (in groups that pick through the playoffs), and you will again be able to pick each team once.

Sorry that I ran across this too late for some of you.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports/fantasysports/footballsurvival/rules/rules-01.html;_ylt=AnX7TTjcbeZTFvhsOidBzK3J9XhG

JB
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
WTF??? For some reason it did not record my pick of SF last week. Now I have been eliminated for no pick?

JCTexan
12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
My plan of saving Pittsburgh for last week paid off as everyone else lost.

There are now five survivors left, all with two strikes going into week 17.

axman40
01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I made my pick for the 1st round of playoffs.
Geaux Saints!
:chef:

Dutchrudder
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, we started with 36 people, and after 17 weeks of picks, four remain contenders. All four teams have 2 strikes against them. I'm not actually sure how the playoff matches work for you guys, as I have never made it that far in this type of league, but good luck to you all!

Axman
gwallaia
HoustonTexans4Life
JCTexan

JCTexan
01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Well, we started with 36 people, and after 17 weeks of picks, four remain contenders. All four teams have 2 strikes against them. I'm not actually sure how the playoff matches work for you guys, as I have never made it that far in this type of league, but good luck to you all!

Axman
gwallaia
HoustonTexans4Life
JCTexan

The picks reset. We can now pick any team we want for this week. I'm assuming the playoffs are the same as the regular season where you can't pick a team more than once.

JCTexan
01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
******* Saints. Took us all out. Four way tie for the Championship.
:trophy:

Dutchrudder
01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
******* Saints. Took us all out. Four way tie for the Championship.
:trophy:

From the looks of it, nobody locked in a pick. They all say N/A in red. People must have forgot.

axman40
01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
From the looks of it, nobody locked in a pick. They all say N/A in red. People must have forgot.
Nah we all picked the Saints , Thanks for ending our season Saints!
:vincepalm:

Dutchrudder
01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Nah we all picked the Saints , Thanks for ending our season Saints!

If they had picked New Orleans, it would show "NOR" in red, but it doesn't. It shows N/A in red, which means none of you submitted your picks correctly.

JCTexan
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Yeah, if you click on "Group picks" it shows it as "N/A", but if you click on the individual you'll see that we all picked New Orleans.

Texans34Life
01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
I as HoustonTexans4Life picked NOR, but after they lost, they told me I won the championship. So I guess it was a 4-way tie.....congrats to you guys.

Texans34Life
08-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm back to defend both titles. When are we starting this one up?

Sign me up!

Dutchrudder
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm back to defend both titles. When are we starting this one up?

Sign me up!

Thanks for the reminder! I'll start it back up in a moment and start a new thread for the 2011 season.

Texans34Life
11-13-2011, 03:28 PM
And now only 4 with 1 strike against them (including me). 2slik4u, your reign of being perfect is over. :)

Just checked this morning....let me correct myself....we have 5 with one strike. :)

Heath Shuler
11-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks a lot DREAM TEAM

Dutchrudder
11-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Lots of people eliminated thanks to the Eagles playing like crap this week. Two people have Green Bay over Minny tonight, so unless there is a massive upset by the Vikings, we should have 12 people left, 5 of which have 1 strike.

texanmojo
11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm hanging on...with one strike left. I have GB picked tonight. They better not lose. Philly killed a bunch of players.

Farough
11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I was doing good.. Two bad picks in a row and now I've got 2 strikes. Gotta pick it up again!

Texans34Life
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Damn, I got Tebowed.... :(

Got 1 strike left before my season is up.

texanmojo
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
The teams I can choose from are getting very slim. Seems like after this week, the only choices I have left are teams with losing records.

Still hanging on by a thread....

Texans34Life
12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Just waiting for slik4u and Lucky Guess to slip up.... :)

Dutchrudder
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
The teams I can choose from are getting very slim. Seems like after this week, the only choices I have left are teams with losing records.

Still hanging on by a thread....

That's just how it goes. There are still 10 people left in total. 2 with 1 strike each, and 8 with 2 strikes. I imagine the pool will go into the playoffs again.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM
That's just how it goes. There are still 10 people left in total. 2 with 1 strike each, and 8 with 2 strikes. I imagine the pool will go into the playoffs again.

I'm still ticked that I got taken out by the Ravens losing to the Titans and the Giants losing to the Seahawks. :wadepalm:

texanmojo
12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks alot flaming meatballs for losing to the winless Colts. The one time I rooted for you (out of necessity) you caused me to fall out of the competition.