PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Jackson Not Missing A Beat

gary
08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
This is a real good inside story on the progress of the Texans number one 20 overall pick. He missed the first game but he did practice against the Saints. He says he is glad to be back out there picking up right where he left off. I hope you enjoy the read and please post any thoughts/comments.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7159388.html

SuperRY
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
We really need Kareem to be good this year. Too bad his 1st real game is going to be against Payton Manning.

gary
08-19-2010, 10:57 AM
If turns out to be as good as Dunte was before his injury in 2007 I'll take that.

hradhak
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
It's good that he's had AJ to go against for the entire pre-season. Even still, CB is a difficult position to learn. I have a feeling teams are going to pick on him during the season until he can prove himself. One way or another he's gonna get experience.

jaayteetx
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I predict he'll have at least 5 picks by week 8 because all the attention he'll be getting. Of course, he'll get burned a few times also.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
It's good to go against AJ because he's the best in the biz. But it's also bad because it could really shake your confidence when you're just starting out.

gtexan02
08-19-2010, 01:28 PM
It's good to go against AJ because he's the best in the biz. But it's also bad because it could really shake your confidence when you're just starting out.

I was thinking that same thing, however AJ is not the type to rub it in. I think he's the type that beats you bad, then shows you where you made am sitake

Mr teX
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
"It helps me a whole lot to go against Andre every day," Jackson said. "In my opinion, I don't think there are too many guys out there that are like Andre in the NFL. If I'm able to go against him and hold my own, then I think I'll be good on Sundays."

I pretty much said this in 1 of his other threads earlier in the offseason..nice to know he understands that.

gary
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
AJ is not just a player he is sort of like a coach in his own right.

painekiller
08-19-2010, 01:52 PM

As Spencer Tillman, iirc, said Kubiak told him, one of the big difference in this team and some of the past teams, the leadership on this team now self manage themselves.

The way I read that is the player now hold each other accountable, if one makes a mistake on or off the field they deal with it themselves.

Also we finally have enough veterans that they are coaching the young guys up. You see them talking to each other, helping each other get better.

The most visible has been Pollard, he gets in guys grill, and I saw and heard him fine a guy at practice, $25, but still, the players are pushing each other to get to the next level.

Has this team been hurt in the past by a lack of veteran leadership, IMO yes, at least during Kubiak's term.

Hardcore Texan
08-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Exactly right. I have seen interviews and quotes of AJ helping out other players. He has been mentoring Jacoby, and from what I read he's been doing the same with Kareem. Basically after beating him on a play he helped Kareem understand how he's attacked him based on his setup, body positioning, etc or what to look for when sizing up the WR. Kareem is getting a chance to see it through the WR's eyes, he should be able to use this to his advantage given that AJ is such a tactician.

Hardcore Texan
08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
From the article, my favorite part:

After missing the Arizona preseason opener because of a death in his family, cornerback Kareem Jackson was the first player on the practice field Wednesday

HOU-TEX
08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
"It helps me a whole lot to go against Andre every day," Jackson said. "In my opinion, I don't think there are too many guys out there that are like Andre in the NFL. If I'm able to go against him and hold my own, then I think I'll be good on Sundays."

I pretty much said this in 1 of his other threads earlier in the offseason..nice to know he understands that.

The problem I see with that, going by what I've seen and read he hasn't been able to "hold his own" against Dre. Maybe he's gotten better, but I haven't heard.

gary
08-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Exactly right. I have seen interviews and quotes of AJ helping out other players. He has been mentoring Jacoby, and from what I read he's been doing the same with Kareem. Basically after beating him on a play he helped Kareem understand what how he's attacked him based on his setup, body positioning, etc or what to look for when sizing up the WR. Kareem is getting a chance to see it through the WR's eyes, he should be able to use this to his advantage given that AJ is such a tactician.
Repped.

GNTLEWOLF
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I predict he'll have at least 5 picks by week 8 because all the attention he'll be getting. Of course, he'll get burned a few times also.

And, unfortunately, there will be those calling for his head because of those times he gets beat.

ObsiWan
08-19-2010, 10:41 PM

is that what happened to Bennett?
:)

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2010, 01:25 AM
is that what happened to Bennett?
:)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

76Texan
08-20-2010, 02:05 AM
The problem I see with that, going by what I've seen and read he hasn't been able to "hold his own" against Dre. Maybe he's gotten better, but I haven't heard.

Hou-Tex, you left out his key word: "IF".
The intonation seems to indicate that he's getting better.

All the things you read and saw can be put in chronological order... and they also seem to indicate that he's getting better.

What I say with KJ is that:

1. He did not miss an assignment (no Bennett and Faggins moment).

2. He did not take a bad angle coming in for a tackle (which I've seen from all the other CBs that were drafted).

Those are neccessary ingredients to look for in a first rounder, IMO.

The next question:
How many lock-down CBs are there in the NFL?
Why would people want him to be a lock-down CB right off the bat to justify where he was drafted?
Compare what he does with the CBs who were drafted around his spot at the start of their career, to me, is the fair thing to do.

You have got to set a certain kind of standard to measure a player's performance.
For example: Why is it that a highly-paid veteran like Dunta get beat in one-on-one (against mostly the other team #1 WR)....
But you expect that KJ shouldn't get beat by AJ, JJ, and AD.
JJ is a guy on the up.
AD has always been a very speedy guy; if he can put on a great move here and there, why, he would be a very good reveiver in this league, I think you must agree.

gary
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
As Spencer Tillman, iirc, said Kubiak told him, one of the big difference in this team and some of the past teams, the leadership on this team now self manage themselves.

The way I read that is the player now hold each other accountable, if one makes a mistake on or off the field they deal with it themselves.

Also we finally have enough veterans that they are coaching the young guys up. You see them talking to each other, helping each other get better.

The most visible has been Pollard, he gets in guys grill, and I saw and heard him fine a guy at practice, $25, but still, the players are pushing each other to get to the next level.

Has this team been hurt in the past by a lack of veteran leadership, IMO yes, at least during Kubiak's term.
Good stuff PK.

76Texan
08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Good stuff PK.

You need to go to practice and help Pollard collect the fines, Gary! :smiliedance:

Dallas_Texan
08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
You know, going up against AJ daily is an awesome learning experience for Kareem, but it's interesting what I've read certain rookie CBs say about Pro WR's. One CB (Revis?) said that his biggest fear was going up against Amani Toomer. Supposedly even though Toomer wasn't the scariest WR, he knew how to screw with a rookie CB better than anyone.

So I'm more interested in seeing Kareem go against as many QB/WR combos as possible before Manning and Co have their way with him. The Cowboys are going to hurt also. :goodluck:

HouSportsWriter
08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
will he play this week?

J_R
08-20-2010, 07:01 PM
will he play this week?

Yes

gary
08-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Jackson will indeed play.