PDA

View Full Version : Shelley Smith video: 6th round rookie Stud!

dalemurphy
08-19-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.texansbullblog.com/shelly-smith/news/

GNTLEWOLF
08-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Nice find. I wasn't really thrilled with that pick when we got him, but if he continues like that I think out O-line will be good for a long time.

barrett
08-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Just wait until you see our video of Steve Maneri!!

IDEXAN
08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Isn't Maneri a converted TE ? Assuming his hands aren't terrible maybe the Texans should consider using him as a OT/TE combo because they are always looking for a big TE who's primarily a blocker. I haven't heard a thing about last years 4th round pick Hill who they drafted as a blocking-TE but ended up on IR in 2009, is he even practicing this year ? Maybe Maneri could be that guy ?

dalemurphy
08-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Isn't Maneri a converted TE ? Assuming his hands aren't terrible maybe the Texans should consider using him as a OT/TE combo because they are always looking for a big TE who's primarily a blocker. I haven't heard a thing about last years 4th round pick Hill who they drafted as a blocking-TE but ended up on IR in 2009, is he even practicing this year ? Maybe Maneri could be that guy ?

Maneri looked good as a LT against Arizona in the 4th quarter. He is a convert from TE (Temple). I don't think he has any real shot at the roster. But, who knows... He's certainly a guy they have plans for. I'm almost positive he'll be on the practice squad.

Regarding Hill, he is on the PUP right now. So, he doesn't practice with the team but he practices on the side during camp. He has been catching balls out of the ball machine and I think he's jogging. He will be on PUP to start the season or on IR, unless they work out an injury settlement and cut him altogether.

TimeKiller
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Dang. Shelley Smith looked pretty good. Granted, it was AZ's depth but he was quick of the line and laying strong blocks in both videos. And he man handled that DT in the 2nd one, has anyone ever seen Chris Myers or Kasey Studdard stand ground against a DT, let alone push one back 10 yards? Studdard's place is anything but a lock to me. Chris Myers at least has the C responsibilities, probably where his true worth lies...

Brown-Smith-Myers-Caldwell-Winston? I sure would like to see that.

Looking forward to the Maneri post, you guys at Battle Red are really doing good work!

As for Hill, I think he gets IRed here pretty soon. I think he's too young to bail on but I'm doubting a recovery in time to get on the field. Plus with Graham looking like a player there isn't really room but with so much depth maybe a high priced TE prices himself right outta Houston.

Wolf6151
08-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I didn't see the game, but Smith did look very good in those 2 highlights. Let's remember though that he was going against Arizonas 2nd and 3rd string players.

dalemurphy
08-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I didn't see the game, but Smith did look very good in those 2 highlights. Let's remember though that he was going against Arizonas 2nd and 3rd string players.

So was Chris White! uggh.

By the way, the first video, where Shelley Smith blocks the LB and opens that hole for Ben Tate... that was Shelley Smith's first NFL snap. That's a heck of a start.

TimeKiller
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Let's remember though that he was going against Arizonas 2nd and 3rd string players.

And kicking their ass. He's not in the HOF yet but let's see how SSSSSSmitty progresses. Kasey Studdard is no lock to start day 1 OR keep his job if there is someone doing bigger and better things behind him. If the 5 OL out there are truly the 5 best OL guys, then Kasey Studdard is #5. Even if it is weaker competition, the fact would remain that SSSSSmitty is above that level. Test him on the next level, we've seen what Studdard can do...and what absolutely cannot.

76Texan
08-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Dang. Shelley Smith looked pretty good. Granted, it was AZ's depth but he was quick of the line and laying strong blocks in both videos. And he man handled that DT in the 2nd one, has anyone ever seen Chris Myers or Kasey Studdard stand ground against a DT, let alone push one back 10 yards? Studdard's place is anything but a lock to me. Chris Myers at least has the C responsibilities, probably where his true worth lies...

Brown-Smith-Myers-Caldwell-Winston? I sure would like to see that.

Looking forward to the Maneri post, you guys at Battle Red are really doing good work!

Yes, I have!

I had posts about Myers taking DTs a long way downfield.
I also had a post about Myers pancake Casey Hampton, the big NT from Galveston that quite a many posters here want to see in Texans uni.

Regarding Smith, I did not have time to start a thread to breakdown his collegiate game tapes.
But I did say that he looked strong and quick in the Shriner game against some of the D-guys that were drafted in the mid-rounds.
Just need to see how he does against stronger competitions.
He defnitely looks promising, that's for sure!

Wolf6151
08-20-2010, 01:53 AM
I'd love to see Smith working out and playing with the starters, if he sucks then he'll be on par with Studdard.

b0ng
08-20-2010, 09:45 AM
What does he look like when he gets beat?

dalemurphy
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
What does he look like when he gets beat?

He hasn't been beat yet. Seriously.

Blake
08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Where is the highlight of Shelley Smith letting DE John Fletcher sack Booty on the last play of the game?

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Where is the highlight of Shelley Smith letting DE John Fletcher sack Booty on the last play of the game?

If you watch that play, Shelley Smith picked up one of the inside blitzers. Which was his assignment. The DE that got in was Chris Henry's assignment.

If Smith had picked up the DE and let what appears to be the safety (#35) go free, Henry would have been in even worse position to make the block.

Henry hesitated and moved slowly, he needed to get around JDB quickly. He needed to make a quicker, more aggressive outside step and then throw himself inside to get in the guy's way. JDB needed to see that the DE was coming hard and get the ball out but Chris Henry was in the way of his drop disrupting the timing of the throw.

I put that squarely on Henry.

Rey
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
If you watch that play, Shelley Smith picked up one of the inside blitzers. Which was his assignment. The DE that got in was Chris Henry's assignment.

If Smith had picked up the DE and let what appears to be the safety (#35) go free, Henry would have been in even worse position to make the block.

Henry hesitated and moved slowly, he needed to get around JDB quickly. He needed to make a quicker, more aggressive outside step and then throw himself inside to get in the guy's way. JDB needed to see that the DE was coming hard and get the ball out but Chris Henry was in the way of his drop disrupting the timing of the throw.

I put that squarely on Henry.

Without having re-watched that play, I'm going to say that there is no way that we could know who was supposed to pick up who..

Pass blocking is a very difficult concept. I know that a lot of coaches don't want their RB's picking up DE's and would rather their interior line let inside blitzers go and instead handle the D-linemen. Think about it...You don't want your O-line to pick up Eugene Wilson on a blitz only to leave Mario Williams on your RB...

Of course there are a lot of variables that go into this. Play type, formation, player skill level, shotgun vs. under center...ect...

I am not saying it was Henry's fault, and I'm not saying it was Smith's fault...Hell, sometimes the defense just "guesses right" and makes it darn near impossible for the line to pick up all the blitzers on any given play...When that happens the QB has to pick up the slack by either going down and not fumbling, throwing the ball away, or finding his hot...

My point here though, is that it is very difficult for almost anyone outside of the Texans offensive meeting room to know who missed an assignment on a given play.

I haven't re-watched the play so you could be 100% right because if the QB is under center your not supposed to let interior blitzers come free ever, because the RB has no chance of getting to them.

Blake
08-20-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMtMy9BbFE

2:50 in.

TE goes up the field for a pass.
LT Maneri takes the pass rushing OLB.
LG Shelley decides to take the DT and let the DE rush right by. The center RG and RT all have a man over them as well.

RB Henry lets Booty 3 step drop right into him causing the collision and then gifting the sack to Fletcher.

Protection break down could be from the center who didnt identify the blitz properly. The RB who didnt step around and take out the DE.

If Booty would have called Max protect with his TE then we would have been fine.

76Texan
08-20-2010, 11:48 AM
TPN is right, IMHO.

1. Smith took the inside guy (the one with the shortest path to the QB).

2. As a RB, Henry should never get tangle with a QB when he makes his drop.
Period.
All Henry had to do was to take an outside step and did as TPN described.

dalemurphy
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Without having re-watched that play, I'm going to say that there is no way that we could know who was supposed to pick up who..

Pass blocking is a very difficult concept. I know that a lot of coaches don't want their RB's picking up DE's and would rather their interior line let inside blitzers go and instead handle the D-linemen. Think about it...You don't want your O-line to pick up Eugene Wilson on a blitz only to leave Mario Williams on your RB...

Of course there are a lot of variables that go into this. Play type, formation, player skill level, shotgun vs. under center...ect...

I am not saying it was Henry's fault, and I'm not saying it was Smith's fault...Hell, sometimes the defense just "guesses right" and makes it darn near impossible for the line to pick up all the blitzers on any given play...When that happens the QB has to pick up the slack by either going down and not fumbling, throwing the ball away, or finding his hot...

My point here though, is that it is very difficult for almost anyone outside of the Texans offensive meeting room to know who missed an assignment on a given play.

I haven't re-watched the play so you could be 100% right because if the QB is under center your not supposed to let interior blitzers come free ever, because the RB has no chance of getting to them.

Well, I'm going to say it was a combination of Henry's and Booty's fault since that is essentially what Kubiak said. He said the sack happened because the RB and QB collided in the backfield.

Rey
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Well, I'm going to say it was a combination of Henry's and Booty's fault since that is essentially what Kubiak said. He said the sack happened because the RB and QB collided in the backfield.

That's not what he said.

This is what he said:

On what happened during the last play: "We just didn't pick up the stunt and the quarterback and back ran into each other. Good call on their part. (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/08/texanscardinals_preseason_game.html)

He is saying that they didn't pick up the stunt AND the QB and back ran into each other. Then he goes on to say that it was a good call on their part.

He didn't really specify blame for the sack. He didn't say that the stunt wasn't picked up BECAUSE they ran into each other. To me it sounds like he is saying it was a combonation of things...Stunt not picked up correctly, RB QB issues in the backfield, Well called blitz on their part...

That quote isn't telling me anything definitive.

76Texan
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMtMy9BbFE

2:50 in.

TE goes up the field for a pass.
LT Maneri takes the pass rushing OLB.
LG Shelley decides to take the DT and let the DE rush right by. The center RG and RT all have a man over them as well.

RB Henry lets Booty 3 step drop right into him causing the collision and then gifting the sack to Fletcher.

Protection break down could be from the center who didnt identify the blitz properly. The RB who didnt step around and take out the DE.

If Booty would have called Max protect with his TE then we would have been fine.Actually, the Cards was in a 3-3
The ROLB rushed the edge as you described.

The Cards also brought the other 2 LBs up to the LOS in the middle (on either side of Smith).

Their line-up was like this (from left to right):
LE, NT, LOLB, MLB, RE, ROLB
Protection should be straighforward.
We can see clearly that our LT slid out to take the ROLB;
the other O-linemen took the defender closes to him.
That left the RE to Henry.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM

I don't disagree with anything you've said but take a look at the play. The biggest clue to me is the way that Henry takes a step to his left. That initial movement to the left puts him in a better position to pick up the DE and totally takes him out of the play to pick up the blitzer if Smith lets him go free.

76Texan brought up a point that the fault could totally be JDB's for not identifying the blitz and changing the protection to add the TE to the mix.

With all that said, I really don't want my RB to be the guy that has to pick up a DE on the way to the QB. But I don't see any other way we pick everyone up on that play. JDB has to get that ball out quick but CH needs to give him the second he needs to get that ball out.

76Texan
08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
This is what he said:

(http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/08/texanscardinals_preseason_game.html)

He is saying that they didn't pick up the stunt AND the QB and back ran into each other. Then he goes on to say that it was a good call on their part.

He didn't really specify blame for the sack.

That quote isn't telling me anything definitive.
Just ask yourself why the two collide?

dalemurphy
08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Well, if we want to go by what Kubiak did or didn't say...

Here's what he said about Shelley Smith's performance, when asked about Darly Sharpton's performance:

"...Shelley Smith, a guard, played a whole half, was very impressive..."

Rey
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't disagree with anything you've said but take a look at the play. The biggest clue to me is the way that Henry takes a step to his left. That initial movement to the left puts him in a better position to pick up the DE and totally takes him out of the play to pick up the blitzer if Smith lets him go free.

76Texan brought up a point that the fault could totally be JDB's for not identifying the blitz and changing the protection to add the TE to the mix.

With all that said, I really don't want my RB to be the guy that has to pick up a DE on the way to the QB. But I don't see any other way we pick everyone up on that play. JDB has to get that ball out quick but CH needs to give him the second he needs to get that ball out.

Definitely...

And I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you're wrong...That wasn't my intention...

Rey
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Just ask yourself why the two collide?

I re-watched the play and I can't really blame Henry for colliding with the QB...

He's lined up directly behind the QB who is under center. He knows that he is supposed to pick up that DE (who basically has a B-line to the QB and he's trying to get in between him and the QB before the sack can happen. That's hard to do from the position he was in.

To me, it just looks like Arizona had the right play called at the right time. The Texans should have gone shotgun there. It doesn't look like anyone had a mental breakdown to me...Just looks like a bad offensive play call...

TO make that play work I would have liked to see the LT come down on the DE and let the OLB go and let Henry kick out on him.....Looks like it would have been an easier block for Henry...

If they were playing against a 4-3 they may have done as I described above, but since it was a 3-4 their rules probably changed to where they treated the OLB as a DE when he's up on the line.

Honestly I think the biggest problem with that play was the fact that JDB was under center and not back in the gun. If he were back in the gun I think Henry could have more easily stepped in front of him to slow down the DE that came through....JMO

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I re-watched the play and I can't really blame Henry for colliding with the QB...

He's lined up directly behind the QB who is under center. He knows that he is supposed to pick up that DE (who basically has a B-line to the QB and he's trying to get in between him and the QB before the sack can happen. That's hard to do from the position he was in.

To me, it just looks like Arizona had the right play called at the right time. The Texans should have gone shotgun there. It doesn't look like anyone had a mental breakdown to me...Just looks like a bad offensive play call...

TO make that play work I would have liked to see the LT come down on the DE and let the OLB go and let Henry kick out on him.....Looks like it would have been an easier block for Henry...

If they were playing against a 4-3 they may have done as I described above, but since it was a 3-4 their rules probably changed to where they treated the OLB as a DE when he's up on the line.

Honestly I think the biggest problem with that play was the fact that JDB was under center and not back in the gun. If he were back in the gun I think Henry could have more easily stepped in front of him to slow down the DE that came through....JMO

To me, Henry looks like he's hesitating trying to figure out what to do. His initial move to get around JDB isn't as aggressive as it needs to be. He's just basically waiting for JDB to get past him before he tries to make the block. I think it's his job to get around JDB as quickly as possible and he doesn't do it.

But it definitely doesn't look like a mistake on Shelley's part.

76Texan
08-21-2010, 12:33 AM
It doesn't matter who Henry was supposed to be blocking.
He simply cannot get into the way of the QB in his drop back.

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2010, 01:22 AM
It doesn't matter who Henry was supposed to be blocking.
He simply cannot get into the way of the QB in his drop back.

And with that moment of indecision, he was going to be in the way no matter what happened.

HOU-TEX
10-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Shelley Smith was waived Saturday and Greenhouse was signed from the practice squad. He'll probably be signed to the practice squad after he clears waivers. I guess he wasn't as studly as some thought. Not yet, at least.

10/02/2010 Waived G Shelley Smith. Signed LB Isaiah Greenhouse to the active roster.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html

DexmanC
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Shelley Smith was waived Saturday and Greenhouse was signed from the practice squad. He'll probably be signed to the practice squad after he clears waivers. I guess he wasn't as studly as some thought. Not yet, at least.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html

It's probably just a matter of needs. He's a very good guard in this system,
so the team is probably confident he will clear waivers. Greenhouse is
needed to replace Bentley on special teams, so all-in-all, the Texans have
lost nothing.

badboy
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=HOU-TEX;1541949]I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Shelley Smith was waived Saturday and Greenhouse was signed from the practice squad. He'll probably be signed to the practice squad after he clears waivers. I guess he wasn't as studly as some thought. Not yet, at least.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html[/QUOTE Yeah, Beerlover informed me early Monday. Caught me by surprise. I hope he is put on PS as I thought he was doing food for a rookie. Our Oline really needs to step up even more.

Hervoyel
10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
[quote=HOU-TEX;1541949]I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Shelley Smith was waived Saturday and Greenhouse was signed from the practice squad. He'll probably be signed to the practice squad after he clears waivers. I guess he wasn't as studly as some thought. Not yet, at least.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html[/QUOTE Yeah, Beerlover informed me early Monday. Caught me by surprise. I hope he is put on PS as I thought he was doing food for a rookie. Our Oline really needs to step up even more.

I swear, I have no idea what you kids are saying most of the time these days. So explain to me, is "doing food" slang for something good or bad?

gtexan02
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I swear, I have no idea what you kids are saying most of the time these days. So explain to me, is "doing food" slang for something good or bad?

Im guessing "doing food" is a typo of "doing good" since the "f" and the "g" are right next to each other on the keyboard...

Hervoyel
10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Im guessing "doing food" is a typo of "doing good" since the "f" and the "g" are right next to each other on the keyboard...

You're probably right.... unless "F and the G" is slang for something else I don't know.....

Hang on, there's some kids on my lawn.....

Porky
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
[quote=badboy;1541965]

When an olineman is doing so well, that he can do this between plays >>>> :popcorn:

HOU-TEX
10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=Hervoyel;1542007]

When an olineman is doing so well, that he can do this between plays >>>> :popcorn:

Heck, why not. Sanchez was caught chokin down a hotdog on the sidelines. Gotta let the Big Nasties eat

Wolf6151
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
It's Tuesday, does anyone know if he got picked back up and signed to the practice squad? He showed some potential in the preseason and this team needs some extra quality and depth on the O-line.

beerlover
10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Shelly Smith got caught up in a numbers game. I firmly believe he is gonna be a better (OG) than Kasey Studdard, but Kasey is ahead of him experience wise & plays special teams. The Texans also had to sign another OT to back-up Rashad Butler (Ephraim Salaam). Hopefully he passes waivers & ends up on the TEXANS practice squad.

I do have a question if someone knows, any team can sign off another teams practice squad said player onto their own active roster, but is this deal good throughout the entire season or is there a cut-off, like trade deadline?

badboy
10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Shelly Smith got caught up in a numbers game. I firmly believe he is gonna be a better (OG) than Kasey Studdard, but Kasey is ahead of him experience wise & plays special teams. The Texans also had to sign another OT to back-up Rashad Butler (Ephraim Salaam). Hopefully he passes waivers & ends up on the TEXANS practice squad.

I do have a question if someone knows, any team can sign off another teams practice squad said player onto their own active roster, but is this deal good throughout the entire season or is there a cut-off, like trade deadline?http://www.ehow.com/facts_4793705_nfl-practice-squad-rules.html

Under the current NFL Practice Squad Rules, any player who is under contract on a scout team is free to sign a player contract with any team in the league, without compensation to the franchise whose practice squad he is a member of. However, the signing must be completed at least six days before the signing team's next game (10 days in the case of a bye week).

Read more: NFL Practice Squad Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4793705_nfl-practice-squad-rules.html#ixzz11VOBkJVt

I think a player signed from PS must go on the 53 man roster of team signing.

beerlover
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4793705_nfl-practice-squad-rules.html

Under the current NFL Practice Squad Rules, any player who is under contract on a scout team is free to sign a player contract with any team in the league, without compensation to the franchise whose practice squad he is a member of. However, the signing must be completed at least six days before the signing team's next game (10 days in the case of a bye week).

Read more: NFL Practice Squad Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4793705_nfl-practice-squad-rules.html#ixzz11VOBkJVt

I think a player signed from PS must go on the 53 man roster of team signing.

thanks, that would indicate practice squad players are fair game for another team up to 10 days before their final game of year, essentially the whole season.

badboy
10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
thanks, that would indicate practice squad players are fair game for another team up to 10 days before their final game of year, essentially the whole season.That's my understanding. I am concerned Shelley Smith would be snapped up.

beerlover
10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
That's my understanding. I am concerned Shelley Smith would be snapped up.

maybe when Duane Brown returns the Texans will waive Salaam although may have to be triggered by injury to another lineman (think I'll pass on that one happening).

Pollardized
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Porky;1542020]

Heck, why not. Sanchez was caught chokin down a hotdog on the sidelines. Gotta let the Big Nasties eat

I heard Mario chokes down hotdogs all the..... Wait, wrong thread......

Dutchrudder
10-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Good thing we picked him instead of Jonathan Dwyer. Who needs runningbacks when you can get a CSU guard?

:sarcasm:

devo-x
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
He was signed to the practice squad today according to http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/transactions?team=HOU

10/6 Mark Anderson signed.
Shelley Smith practice squad addition.
Bobby Williams practice squad deletion.

TEXANS84
10-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Ah man, I liked Bobby Williams. I was hoping he'd lock onto the team eventually.

Rey
10-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Apparently they've signed another WR that was a third rd. pick by the Titans.

CretorFrigg
10-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Apparently they've signed another WR that was a third rd. pick by the Titans.

We signed Damian Williams to the practice squad?

Rey
10-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Didn't see it mentioned but we also signed Greenhouse to the active roster...

Wolf6151
10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
He was signed to the practice squad today according to http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/transactions?team=HOU

Thank you sir for the info., I wasn't a fan of S. Smith when he was drafted but he showed some skill in the preseason and I'm really hoping that he continues to improve and makes Studdard and Brisiel expendable.

Lucky
10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
We signed Damian Williams to the practice squad?
Paul Williams, a 2007 3rd round pick from Fresno State.

Pollardized
10-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Paul Williams, a 2007 3rd round pick from Fresno State.

I always loved him as Little Enos. But isn't he, uhhh, a little undersized to be an NFL WR????

http://kikumasa.blog.eonet.jp/photos/uncategorized/2009/05/24/enos.jpg