PDA

View Full Version : Sharpton may factor into replacing Cushing

Tailgate
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Sharpton will be one to keep a close eye on this Saturday. From the sound of it, theres a chance he may force the coaches to swap Diles after all. Whatever happens, looks like we may have possibly struck gold with this 4th rounder.

By Paul Kuharsky

When Brian Cushing's suspension came to light, Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak said pretty strongly that Zac Diles has settled in so nicely on the weak side that flipping him to the strong side while Cushing misses four games wasn’t an alternative.

Things have changed according to what the coach said to Houston media Tuesday about rookie fourth-rounder Darryl Sharpton out of Miami.

From a transcript provided by the team:

On if he’s considering Darryl Sharpton as a starter: “Well there’s consideration for him being one of our top three. He’s in the mix right now. Would we flip him to Sam? Probably we would move Zac before we move him. He’s in consideration right now and we’re going to play our three best however we go to play him.”

On if Sharpton is in the running to become a starter this season: “There’s no doubt. He’s made statements since he’s been out here in camp. Obviously, the other night he did it again.”

So while Cushing’s out, instead of seeing Xavier Adibi, Kevin Bentley or Danny Clark in his place, we could see Diles flipped and Sharpton starting -- provided Sharpton keeps playing like he’s been playing.

Maybe from there we could even see him push Diles?

I’ll have an eye on Sharpton Wednesday and Thursday when I watch the Texans practice against the Saints in Louisiana.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/14016/sharpton-may-factor-into-replacing-cushing?prosaction=newpost&status=ok

Clamp
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Im curious why Sharpton would not just be plugged into the SAM position seeing as Diles is the one who is more settled in his WIL postion. Sharpton is 3 inches shorter at 5'11'' but 5lbs heavier at 245, and you normally see the larger LB as the SAM rather than WIL. Both are small but Diles has proven that size isnt everything so if Sharpton is the new guy and isnt specialized at 1 postion, I dont understand why they would now go back on their previous statements and move Diles over.

DexmanC
08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Im curious why Sharpton would not just be plugged into the SAM position seeing as Diles is the one who is more settled in his WIL postion. Sharpton is 3 inches shorter at 5'11'' but 5lbs heavier at 245, and you normally see the larger LB as the SAM rather than WIL. Both are small but Diles has proven that size isnt everything so if Sharpton is the new guy and isnt specialized at 1 postion, I dont understand why they would now go back on their previous statements and move Diles over.

It's because Diles is a proven NFL commodity at SAM, and Sharpton has not
yet been tested in the NFL regular season. If anything, when Cush
gets back, Daryl may force the coaches to make a hard choice between
he and Zac at the WILL

JB
08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
he and Zac at the WILL

I think it is this, and Sharpton is more comfortable at WLB. He played mostly MLB and WLB.

Rey
08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
he and Zac at the WILL

Yeah...

Don't really want to move a rookie when he is already playing well at one position wheras Diles has played well at SAM and won't take long to get back used to it.

IDEXAN
08-17-2010, 04:58 PM
If anything, when Cush
he and Zac at the WILL
Good point.
Sharpton makes what is already the Texans' strongest position-group, atleast on defense if not overall, even stronger and deeper.
Hey if the kid starts on 9/12, maybe the Rev will come down from NYC
and attend his nephews NFL debut ? Does McNair let Democrats sit in his box seat with him ?

beerlover
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Sharpton can play all three positions so can Diles. I like the fact Gary says he will start his best three, clearly that includes Sharpton.

El Tejano
08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Man, Kubiak really loves this last draft.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I started a thread about this a week or two ago. Just from the TC quotes, it looked like they were moving this direction.

Rey
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I started a thread about this a week or two ago. Just from the TC quotes, it looked like they were moving this direction.

I remember you saying that last week...

Howeva (in my best Stephen A.), I think his performance this past weekend and future performances will determine the final outcome.

After this weekend though, I'd have to say that he IS looking like the top candidate...

Even if Adibi and Clark get healthy, at this point, I think they'd have an uphill battle.