PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
I like seeing pictures like this one. Our coaches getting involved. Nice Story too. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7156180.html)
http://www.chron.com/photos/2010/08/05/22908536/260xStory.jpg

JB
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I think Gibbs is a hell of a DB coach. And we have a very young but very promising secondary.

TimeKiller
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
didn't the 2ndary look awesome against the cardinals? and that was without 1st round selection kareem Jackson...

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
didn't the 2ndary look awesome against the cardinals? and that was without 1st round selection kareem Jackson...

But it was against Lienart. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by what we saw, but...

Let's see what happens, when we play a QB who can read coverages, and can find a receiver under 3 seconds.

People want to say a good pass rush will make a good secondary. I think you need a good secondary, especially with the rules today, to make your good secondary. I think a good pass rush, will make a good secondary look outstanding.

headsplint
08-17-2010, 12:19 PM
But it was against Lienart. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by what we saw, but...

Let's see what happens, when we play a QB who can read coverages, and can find a receiver under 3 seconds.

People want to say a good pass rush will make a good secondary. I think you need a good secondary, especially with the rules today, to make your good secondary. I think a good pass rush, will make a good secondary look outstanding.

With our ones in there we had a kick ass pass rush, so it's a little hard to say exactly. Although after watching the game back it appears that everyone was hitting their assignments and flying to the ball. We played fast and I liked what I saw.

Hopefully this continues and we see more of the same. The Saints should provide a nice challenge to our defense in contrast to the Cards.

TimeKiller
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM

eggggssszzzzactly.

Not to say Leinart is anywhere close to being as good as Warner but he's still got the same weapons. It's not like he couldn't have done well. The pass rush though, unmistakably interrupted the passing and made an improved 2ndary shine. Once the pass rush (the 1st team) left the 2ndary (backups even) still held strong. I was impressed. This was without the "best" CB we had last year (Dunta) and without the guy who should be pretty close to the best CB we have on the current roster (KJ).

kiwitexansfan
08-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I had a lot of time for Hoke when he was here but I do believe that Gibbs has taken our guys to a new level.

He seems like an excellent teacher and has done a great job in bringing players along.

Rey
08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
The secondary just seems to be around the ball more...Might be that we have aquired some new players but I think that Gibbs has had a lot to do with that...

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I liked what I saw. But Lienart is so slow & indecisive I don't believe we have seen if we are any better or not. It's easy to be around the ball when the QB telegraphs where he is going with the ball. I won't say it's easy, but it is easier to get a sack when the QB waits till the receiver is wide open before he throws the ball.

Brice McCain was our other starter for crying out loud.

Rey
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I liked what I saw. But Lienart is so slow & indecisive I don't believe we have seen if we are any better or not. It's easy to be around the ball when the QB telegraphs where he is going with the ball. I won't say it's easy, but it is easier to get a sack when the QB waits till the receiver is wide open before he throws the ball.

Brice McCain was our other starter for crying out loud.

TK I agree with you that we haven't been truly tested yet, but I still think we can take away some observations from the game. When something carries over into your second string players that's normally a signal stating "this is who we are".

Besides the game against the Cards we can retrace back to last year and see that the Texans played better defensively toward the end of the season. Leinart being slow and indecisive doesn't have much to do with Mario running through the OT like wet paper. Doesn't have anything to do with the way the D-line penetrated and caused havoc in the back-field.

We'll definitely have a better test this weekend, but I think we can still take away some positives going against a pretty good receiving corps.

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 06:42 PM
We'll definitely have a better test this weekend, but I think we can still take away some positives going against a pretty good receiving corps.

No doubt. Though I'm sure Kubiak and his staff has a notebook of things they need to correct.