PDA

View Full Version : Battles for Roster Spots: post week one of preseason

dalemurphy
08-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Based on our multiple DVR viewings of the Arizona game, our training camp attendance and information gathered from the Chronicle and fellow bloggers at camp, along with Kubes' pressers, we have compiled a list of "on the bubble" guys and discuss how the Arizona game helped or hurt their opportunity to make the opening day roster:

Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/bubble-fight-final-roster-spots/news/)

Brisco_County
08-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Where does Earl Mitchell fit in?

Grforces
08-17-2010, 02:38 AM
While Booty din't play great, I think he will be giving Dan-O a run for the 2nd spot. While Booty din't look fantastic, I think he did a better job with the ball, especially considering Dan-O has been with the team since last year, and has been getting reps with the second team.

newtexan
08-17-2010, 05:08 AM
E. Mitchell is a lock, players mentioned above are considered on the bubble .

dalemurphy
08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
E. Mitchell is a lock, players mentioned above are considered on the bubble .

what he said.

Blake
08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Shelley Smith- I thought he performed very well in the second half. He was about the only offensive bright spot in the second half. Kubiak voluntarily praised him in the press conference on Sunday (http://www.texansbullblog.com/coachspeak-kubiak-arizona-game/featured-articles/)when answering an unrelated question. He outperformed Chris White significantly and may see more action with the second team this weekend. Watch to see if he enters the game before White this week.

Wasnt he the guy that basically left the DT unblocked for a clean sack on Booty the last play? #71 right? I recall at least 2 plays where he looked like a 6th round pick from Colorado State. And its not like he was playing starters or anything. To me this guy will need to step up or he will be PS material.

dalemurphy
08-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Shelley Smith- I thought he performed very well in the second half. He was about the only offensive bright spot in the second half. Kubiak voluntarily praised him in the press conference on Sunday (http://www.texansbullblog.com/coachspeak-kubiak-arizona-game/featured-articles/)when answering an unrelated question. He outperformed Chris White significantly and may see more action with the second team this weekend. Watch to see if he enters the game before White this week.

Wasnt he the guy that basically left the DT unblocked for a clean sack on Booty the last play? #71 right? I recall at least 2 plays where he looked like a 6th round pick from Colorado State. And its not like he was playing starters or anything. To me this guy will need to step up or he will be PS material.

I don't think so.. He was playing LG (#71)on that play. My DVR didn't record the last play. However, my memory is that Chris Henry failed to pickup the blitz. I can't imagine anyone would be unimpressed with his performance.

sportfan73
08-17-2010, 09:37 AM
attrition, not atrician

thanks for the write-up!

dalemurphy
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
attrition, not atrician

thanks for the write-up!

LOL! thanks. Funny what happens to the mind in the middle of the night.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2010, 11:54 AM

No.

The problem with the last play was Chris Henry and JDB. It was a blitzer that Chris Henry was supposed to pick up. Chris Henry couldn't get around JDB to get to the blitzer. I'm not sure if the screw up there is Henry or Booty but it wasn't Smith.

J_R
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
If that was Henry's guy, obviously he didnt' get him. From the highlight I'm watching, I could see a case where Maneri(#68) picks up the inside blitzer that sacked JDB, and Henry gets the outside guy. Ehh nevermind, just looks like Henry couldnt get around JDB as mentioned above.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
If that was Henry's guy, obviously he didnt' get him. From the highlight I'm watching, I could see a case where Maneri(#68) picks up the inside blitzer that sacked JDB, and Henry gets the outside guy. Ehh nevermind, just looks like Henry couldnt get around JDB as mentioned above.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the assignments were but from where people were trying to go, that blitzer looked like he was Henry's man. Now... how the hell Henry was supposed to get to him without going through JDB, I don't know. We saw something similar with Slaton and Schaub last year where Schaub when to throw a pass but Slaton had to go through him to get to the blitzer up the middle.

Brisco_County
08-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the assignments were but from where people were trying to go, that blitzer looked like he was Henry's man. Now... how the hell Henry was supposed to get to him without going through JDB, I don't know. We saw something similar with Slaton and Schaub last year where Schaub when to throw a pass but Slaton had to go through him to get to the blitzer up the middle.

Henry would've been assigned to the B gap, while everyone else had their man. I think the gap opened and the blitzer closed in so quickly that Henry just didn't react fast enough. I'm sure he'll be watching that tape 70+ times.

ObsiWan
08-18-2010, 02:40 AM
No.

The problem with the last play was Chris Henry and JDB. It was a blitzer that Chris Henry was supposed to pick up. Chris Henry couldn't get around JDB to get to the blitzer. I'm not sure if the screw up there is Henry or Booty but it wasn't Smith.

I put the blame on JDB. I would have thought once he saw AZ packing the LoS with blitzers, he could have at least audibled into the shotgun formation to give himself another step or two away from the rush. JDB backpeddled right into Henry. JDB backed into that blitz in a manner that would have made HWSNBM very proud.

TimeKiller
08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice write up, keying on the right guys and everything. For the OL I don't think Chris Yellow makes it. If SSmith keeps up he may even get his own spot.

Adibi is looking more and more like a guy who can't get on the field. Sucks but I'll take Bing.

Bennett's done.

Dickerson is a lock in my mind. Dude was a beast and he'll be a physical force on special teams....so will Chris Henry. They'll find a way to get the most out of that insane physicality.

Holliday...Imo will make the roster BUT he has to be lights out the next 3 games as a return man. No fumbles, no mistakes. Just catch it, get what is there and move on.

Nading, I just can't figure out what it is about the guy the coaches like. Jamison...I'll have to watch out more for but if I had to pick between them I'd pick Sheppard.

dalemurphy
08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Nice write up, keying on the right guys and everything. For the OL I don't think Chris Yellow makes it. If SSmith keeps up he may even get his own spot.

Adibi is looking more and more like a guy who can't get on the field. Sucks but I'll take Bing.

Bennett's done.

Dickerson is a lock in my mind. Dude was a beast and he'll be a physical force on special teams....so will Chris Henry. They'll find a way to get the most out of that insane physicality.

Holliday...Imo will make the roster BUT he has to be lights out the next 3 games as a return man. No fumbles, no mistakes. Just catch it, get what is there and move on.

Nading, I just can't figure out what it is about the guy the coaches like. Jamison...I'll have to watch out more for but if I had to pick between them I'd pick Sheppard.

If you key on Jamison, you will like what you see. He may lack elite ability but he consistently wins his one on one battles.

A guy that I didn't say enough about was Steve Maneri. It was the 4th quarter and he was blocking guys that won't make most NFL rosters this year, but he looked amazing... especially considering it was his first game at tackle: #68-keep an eye on him in the second half this weekend.

rmartin65
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
If you key on Jamison, you will like what you see. He may lack elite ability but he consistently wins his one on one battles.

A guy that I didn't say enough about was Steve Maneri. It was the 4th quarter and he was blocking guys that won't make most NFL rosters this year, but he looked amazing... especially considering it was his first game at tackle: #68-keep an eye on him in the second half this weekend.

I really liked Maneri coming out. In a thread a while back, a couple of us picked 5 UDFAs that may make the roster (in a sort of game) and Maneri was either my first or second pick. He becomes especially valuable, because they can make him tackle eligible in the red zone due to his background.

BigBull17
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
While Booty din't play great, I think he will be giving Dan-O a run for the 2nd spot. While Booty din't look fantastic, I think he did a better job with the ball, especially considering Dan-O has been with the team since last year, and has been getting reps with the second team.

Booty has a pop gun for an arm. I didn't realize how weak it was. I don't think he has a great shot.

gary
08-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Rep to you Dale and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. Great read. Thanks man.