PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow

gary
08-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Did anyone see him play last night? He played four series going eight for thirteen with one rushing touchdown. Also, just one sack. Not jaw dropping of course but he looked cozey for the most part and made some on target throws. He looked like he seemes to be picking up the play book nicely. Overall I'd give a B - with room to improve but that is the case with all rookies in sports. What are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? It might be too early to tell at this point he might get better or he might only time will tell.

MojoMan
08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I saw some of it, and I was very impressed. Considering it was his rookie debut in the NFL, I would give Tebow's performance an A-. He was playing with the Bronco's third and fourth team guys around him.

It should be noted that Tebow scored almost single-handedly on the last play of the game by steam-rolling two guys at the goal line in an open field run. In fact, this was probably the most exciting play I have seen in preseason so far.

He played a lot better than Brady Quinn, that is for sure. In fact, here is a blog entry at ESPN advocating that Tebow be promoted ahead of Quinn immediately based on this showing:

Time to promote Tebow, demote Quinn (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/15727/denver-should-promote-tebow-demote-quinn)

It’s time for the Denver Broncos to promote Tim Tebow to their No. 2 quarterback, if only to keep him upright. The Broncos have way too much invested in Tebow for him to being playing behind a third-string offensive line any longer. Plus, the current No. 2 quarterback, Brady Quinn, showed nothing in Sunday night's 33-24 loss in Cincinnati to prove he deserves to be a backup NFL quarterback.

Let’s face it: Tebow is the future in Denver. Quinn is not. Move the kid up. Tebow was fairly solid in his NFL preseason debut. He completed 8 of 13 passes for 105 yards, but he was harassed all night. It’s clear Tebow must get used to the speed of the NFL game. Even in the speedy SEC, the former Florida star didn’t face anything like this. He also must work on protecting the ball. Still, Tebow showed his patented gutsy running on a 7-yard touchdown run on the final play of the game.

It’s time for Tebow to play more in the preseason and that can be done if he is made the No. 2 quarterback. Denver is going to use Tebow in special packages during the regular season anyway, so he might as well get backup repetitions now. Tebow threw the ball well a few times and was let down by receiver Matthew Willis early. After throwing a perfect strike, Tebow, who entered the game late in the third quarter and stayed for the rest of the game, saw Willis drop the ball. Late in the game, he threw a nice pass to set up his scoring run. Like all rookie quarterbacks, Tebow has a lot of work to do, but there is promise.

Quinn didn’t show any promise. He bumbled his way through his performance as he completed just 6 of 16 pass attempts for 68 yards. He also threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown. Quinn looked completely lost, more like an emergency quarterback.

The Broncos must make that status official this week and give Tebow more playing time Saturday against Detroit in his home debut.

Personally, I agree. I never thought Brady Quinn was all that anyway. If he had not played at Notre Dame, he would never have received the accolades that he did. On the other hand, Tim Tebow looks like a budding star in this league.

gary
08-16-2010, 09:54 AM
How would he have done with the first team?

MojoMan
08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
How would he have done with the first team?

It is not likely to happen this season, unless Kyle Orton goes down. But it is probably just a matter of time before Tebow takes the job over and we get to find out.

gary
08-16-2010, 10:01 AM
It is not likely to happen this season, unless Kyle Orton goes down. But it is probably just a matter of time before Tebow takes the job over and we get to find out.
He'll get his next chance to prove his own against the Lions this week.

bah007
08-16-2010, 10:05 AM
It seemed like nearly all of his yards came on dump offs against a third string defense so I wouldn't get overly excited yet.

But he did make nice back to back throws down the right sideline to move Denver up the field as time was running down. And his TD was money. Took it down and just trucked the CB on his way into the endzone.

I'm admittedly not one of the guys who thinks that Tebow's best position in the NFL is QB, but I definitely saw some things he can build on. I would promote him over Quinn and he how he does against the twos.

gary
08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I did see a deep pass which was completed but I don't remember the exact play though I say at least give more time. Another one was on target but dropped down the field.

Texan4Ever
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
His throwing style looks a bit slower but he is able to put a nice spin on the ball and hit his intended target. Not bad for his first NFL game as I think using him in a shotgun formation and maybe doing some option plays would make the Broncos O very unique and versatile.

gary
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
There were some deep passes I recall which were dropped by the WR.

IDEXAN
08-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I didn't see much of Tebow in college, so watching him last night I gotta say my impression was very positive. Actually I did see him earlier this year in the Senior Bowl and his progress in just the 6 months or so since then is remarkable. The guy is fun to watch, definitely talented, and obviously a tremendous competitor.

gary
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
The one postive is he has room to grow where on the other hand Kyle has pretty much reached his peek not that it's bad or anything JMO.

bah007
08-16-2010, 11:20 AM
There were some deep passes I recall which were dropped by the WR.

He threw deep twice. One was right on target and the WR just flatout dropped it. The other was overthrown by five yards and hit the CB right in the hands, but he dropped the INT.

IDEXAN
08-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Gary, just curious, you're obviously a Tebow fan ? Would you have liked the Texans to have taken a run at Tebow ? Schaub is now an established, successful NFL starter here in Houston but he will be 30 next year and maybe grooming a successor for the future would be something to consider ?

gary
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
He threw deep twice. One was right on target and the WR just flatout dropped it. The other was overthrown by five yards and hit the CB right in the hands, but he dropped the INT.
Ok, still alright for his very first game I don't have the NFLN so only saw the highlights not the game.

gary
08-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Gary, just curious, you're obviously a Tebow fan ? Would you have liked the Texans to have taken a run at Tebow ? Schaub is now an established, successful NFL starter here in Houston but he will be 30 next year and maybe grooming a successor for the future would be something to consider ?I would not call me a fan of his just stiring up some chatter. As for drafting him no, in the first round the Texans had bigger holes to fill this year but maybe I'd take a QB in year or two just to prepare JMO.

bah007
08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, still alright for his very first game I don't have the NFLN so only saw the highlights not the game.

It was defininetly alright for his first game. Better than I expected him to play for sure.

I think he earned the #2 job for next week. See if he can play the same against second stringers instead of third stringers.

gary
08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
It was defininetly alright for his first game. Better than I expected him to play for sure.

I think he earned the #2 job for next week. See if he can play the same against second stringers instead of third stringers.
We shall see he may not ever take the big step. Who knows? It's very early on.

Mr teX
08-16-2010, 12:18 PM
From what i heard about it this morning on 610, that "wind up" throwing motion is still looking mighty slow...not good for an nfl qb

gary
08-16-2010, 12:18 PM
His throwing style looks a bit slower but he is able to put a nice spin on the ball and hit his intended target. Not bad for his first NFL game as I think using him in a shotgun formation and maybe doing some option plays would make the Broncos O very unique and versatile.He should probably be second leaving Brady third or cut but more than likely third.

bah007
08-16-2010, 12:20 PM
From what i heard about it this morning on 610, that "wind up" throwing motion is still looking mighty slow...not good for an nfl qb

It's still pretty slow...

It got him into big trouble once. As he was windmilling through his motion he got hit and fumbled. The defense recovered and ran it back for a TD. The play was reviewed and the fumble was ruled an incomplete pass (correct call). But still, it definitely showed why scouts wanted him to change the motion. A great majority of QBs in the NFL would have already had the ball away by the time the hit came.

gary
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Some one who knows more than me, what are the chances his throwing motion gets faster?

DexmanC
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Although he has a slow motion, that ball flies out of his hand like
a laser. Sam Bradford also impressed me during his first preseason
game. Hopefully, they'll rest him for most of the season before
throwing him in.

Both of these guys just have too much talent to be
ruined by horrible teams.

gary
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I did not see Sam play either darn NFLN.

J_R
08-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I saw some highlights this morning on SC of Bradford's game. Took a couple of sacks, look alright though otherwise. Though if I was a Rams fan, I'd cringe everytime he gets sacked or goes down.

gary
08-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Highlights are all I get to see right now.

08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
he played okay, but that release is absolutely terrible.

Kulluminatii
08-16-2010, 01:58 PM
His throwing style looks a bit slower but he is able to put a nice spin on the ball and hit his intended target. Not bad for his first NFL game as I think using him in a shotgun formation and maybe doing some option plays would make the Broncos O very unique and versatile.

He has reverted back to his old throwing motion, and this will cause major problems if he doesn't fix it now. Against 3rd stringers he did fine, but when he goes against the starting lineup of a team he'll get killed if he doesn't let go of the ball sooner.

Rey
08-16-2010, 01:59 PM
I didn't watch Tebow yesterday, but I was one of the few that thought he'd make a good NFL QB so I'm not surprised that he had a decent first outing. Sounds like he has already moved up the depth chart to second.

Kulluminatii
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I still think right now Quinn would be the better option as the #2 QB. Quinn went against a mix of first/second string players, which Tebow has yet to do, maybe after a few more preseason games we'll be able to judge how good he is. One thing is for sure, Orton will be their starting QB unless he gets injured.

Rey
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
I still think right now Quinn would be the better option as the #2 QB. Quinn went against a mix of first/second string players, which Tebow has yet to do, maybe after a few more preseason games we'll be able to judge how good he is. One thing is for sure, Orton will be their starting QB unless he gets injured.

Everything I've heard pretty much seems to go against what you're saying...

Even if Quinn was going against second stringers he still did terrible..If Tebow is their future it would make more sense to put him with the second team so he can learn more and be protected by a better line.

That's how things should go IMO...guy in front of you stinks it up, you play well...Then you should atleast get the opprotunity to replace him.

Kulluminatii
08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
It just seems wrong to judge a player after 1 preseason game. I do agree that Tebow should have a chance playing with first/second stringers and if he still plays better than Quinn then the #2 spot should be his.

Mr teX
08-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah, the little i did see of that game had Quinn @ qb & he looked terrible..So i think will eventually get the 2nd string position, but i think its gonna be more b/c quinn is garbo...

MojoMan
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Tebow went 8 for 13 for 105 yards against the Bengals in his first NFL appearance. However, the highlight was his rushing touchdown on the last play of the game. Here is a link to a video of that play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzpirhgtjoU

JB
08-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Tebow went 8 for 13 for 105 yards against the Bears in his first NFL appearance. However, the highlight was his rushing touchdown on the last play of the game. Here is a link to a video of that play:

Thanks, but that was against the Bengals, not the Bears.

MojoMan
08-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, but that was against the Bengals, not the Bears.

Oops. You are right. Sorry about that. :)

In any case, the main point was the touchdown run, which was impressive no matter who it was against.

gary
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
It's all in the coaching for Tebow at this point.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Everything I've heard pretty much seems to go against what you're saying...

Jamie Dukes agreed that Tebow should stay 3rd string for now and that as bad as Quinn's outing was, Tebow didn't play well enough to take that job away.

But... like I said, Jamie Dukes. So take THAT for what it's worth.

mariowillshine15
08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I thought he looked good. The throwing motion i think will always be how he throws it.

When under pressure he's going to throw it the way he feels comfortable.

If he can make it work more power to him. He's got a nice deep ball and isnt afraid to put his head down when running like on his rush td.

Im pullin for the guy.

Oh and Brady Quinn sucks. If Orton gets hurt they should go to Tebow because Quinn has the accuracy of Rick Ankiel when he was a pitcher.

gary
08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I pull for all rookies when they are drafted just as long as they all work hard and stay on the right path.

Texan_Bill
08-16-2010, 10:38 PM
"I promise................."

:D

TexansSeminole
08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Tebow went 8 for 13 for 105 yards against the Bengals in his first NFL appearance. However, the highlight was his rushing touchdown on the last play of the game. Here is a link to a video of that play:

Is it just me or did Tebow look to be getting up a bit gingerly after that hit? His shoulder looked to have gone dead.

MojoMan
08-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Is it just me or did Tebow look to be getting up a bit gingerly after that hit? His shoulder looked to have gone dead.

No it was nothing. Tim Tebow is the new man of steel.

http://www.gatorenvy.com/tebow-comic.jpg

Dutchrudder
08-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Tebow looked good, but I want to see what he can do against another team's starters before jumping on the 'start him now!' bandwagon.

gary
08-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Another point I'd like to make is yes, Matt is about to be thirty but depending on how he stays in shape he might just play another ten seasons i.e. Farve and Warner it is too early to tell right now. Who knows?

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
"You will never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season.......

God Bless"

Texan4Ever
08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
He has reverted back to his old throwing motion, and this will cause major problems if he doesn't fix it now. Against 3rd stringers he did fine, but when he goes against the starting lineup of a team he'll get killed if he doesn't let go of the ball sooner.

IMO, I think its best to leave his throwing style the way it is and just have him work on adding more velocity to his throws. If he tries to change his throwing style it may hamper his progress as a quarterback down the road.

Texecutioner
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Did anyone see him play last night? He played four series going eight for thirteen with one rushing touchdown. Also, just one sack. Not jaw dropping of course but he looked cozey for the most part and made some on target throws. He looked like he seemes to be picking up the play book nicely. Overall I'd give a B - with room to improve but that is the case with all rookies in sports. What are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? It might be too early to tell at this point he might get better or he might only time will tell.

I'll wait until the regular season starts to say anything. The Broncos are going to be terrible this season. They've already had a flurry of injuries and Tebow is not going to have many weapons to throw to. I expect him to struggle a lot this year if and when he gets to start.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm actually getting tired of hearing about him, to be honest. I think the media would take turns fluffing him if he'd let them.

gary
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I'll wait until the regular season starts to say anything. The Broncos are going to be terrible this season. They've already had a flurry of injuries and Tebow is not going to have many weapons to throw to. I expect him to struggle a lot this year if and when he gets to start.
I am just basing this on one game I see your point and I am not ready to call him an All Pro just yet. We'll see if he gets better or worse.

bah007
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm actually getting tired of hearing about him, to be honest. I think the media would take turns fluffing him if he'd let them.

You're just now getting tired of it?

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 02:20 PM
You're just now getting tired of it?

Ha, good point. I think there was a thread on 'most over-hyped' players coming out of College.....Tebow is, by far, the most over-hyped player I think I've seen in my entire life.

I think I'd rather rent the last 5 years of Favre Watch. :gun:

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Ha, good point. I think there was a thread on 'most over-hyped' players coming out of College.....Tebow is, by far, the most over-hyped player I think I've seen in my entire life.

I think I'd rather rent the last 5 years of Favre Watch. :gun:

You rank him hire than "The Boz"??

*ahem* and oh yeah, I almost forgot... "God Bless"! :fingergun:

gary
08-17-2010, 05:53 PM
ESPN would do both Farve and Tebow there is not any doubt in my mind about that.

TexansSeminole
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Turns out he did get hurt. Hurt his ribs somehow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5476459

Mr teX
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
While the kid's a breath of fresh air amongst many many entitled turds coming out of college/high school into pro sports, he shouldn't have been a #1 pick & he will not succeed in the NFL if he doesn't speed up his release.

gary
08-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I hope this is not too serious.

Mr teX
08-19-2010, 03:35 PM

"this hur is the NFL boay, & you ain't gonna be doing that thur like you wuz doing in college...for very long anyway."

Dutchrudder
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Probably while scoring that touchdown at the end of the game. He got hit hard by the safety as he crossed the goalline.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Probably while scoring that touchdown at the end of the game. He got hit hard by the safety as he crossed the goalline.

Yeah, he looked hurt as soon as he got hit there.

Kulluminatii
08-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Umm...wow... http://wjrr.com/pages/tebow/index.html

:backsout:

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Umm...wow... http://wjrr.com/pages/tebow/index.html

:backsout:

Uh... hmmm... oooo kaaaaay.

The1ApplePie
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I wonder who told Tebow to "Shut the **** up" when we wanted a group prayer at the combine:thinking:

gary
08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Just wow.

TexansSeminole
08-23-2010, 11:19 PM

I know why he got hurt, I was pretty sure he was hurt after I saw it happen. My point was more that he got injured in some way. Bruised ribs is a pretty general term, and the report wasn't very descriptive.

Tebow can't do that in the NFL. This is only preseason. It'll get real serious when starting linebackers and safeties of opposing teams have the playoffs on their mind, he'll get killed running up the middle like that.

Texan_Bill
08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
"God Bless!!"

:D

TimeKiller
08-24-2010, 07:58 AM
IMO, I think its best to leave his throwing style the way it is and just have him work on adding more velocity to his throws. If he tries to change his throwing style it may hamper his progress as a quarterback down the road.

Velocity isn't the problem, it's the wind up. He starts his throwing motion down around his waist, cocks his arm way back and loops up and it takes forever. It's also going to cause fumble after fumble because he'll never be able to fight off DL punching his balls....wait...yeah, well you know what I mean.

MojoMan
09-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Tim Tebow passes Brady Quinn for the backup QB spot in Denver. And he is expected to play today in the Broncos home opener at Jacksonville.

The legend of Tebow continues to unfold before our very eyes.... :)

Sources: Tim Tebow is No. 2 QB (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5563940&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

Tim Tebow will be the Denver Broncos' No. 2 quarterback Sunday versus Jacksonville, backing up Kyle Orton, according to team sources. Tebow has been told he will play Sunday, too. The Broncos have a package of plays that they have installed for Tebow to use in front of the Jacksonville crowd he grew up around.

One of the biggest surprises of the 2010 draft came when Denver selected Tebow 25th overall. Though the three-time All-American from Florida won the Heisman Trophy in 2007 and led the Gators to a pair of BCS national championships, his ability to be a pocket passer in the NFL was questioned.

Tebow finished the 2010 preseason completing 25 of 39 passes for 344 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Tebow, who grew up 20 minutes from the stadium, purchased about 50 tickets for Sunday's game.

His family and friends will now get to watch him make his NFL debut in a stadium in which he helped lead Florida to a 3-1 record against Georgia.

DBCooper
09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Velocity isn't the problem, it's the wind up. He starts his throwing motion down around his waist, cocks his arm way back and loops up and it takes forever. It's also going to cause fumble after fumble because he'll never be able to fight off DL punching his balls....wait...yeah, well you know what I mean.

Byron Leftwich?

lol