PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs The Texans Should Look Out For

gary
08-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I do not know if this is the correct area. But, are there good RB's who may not make the final roster on another team to take the place of Ben Tate?

JB
08-15-2010, 02:01 PM
If they are good RB's, I doubt they don't make the team.

Rey
08-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm fine with what we have.

gary
08-15-2010, 02:06 PM
A team might be loaded leaving some one on the bubble though.

Rey
08-15-2010, 02:08 PM
A team might be loaded leaving some one on the bubble though.

Gary, what team out there is loaded at running back to the point where they'll be cutting a good one?

I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, but if there are any teams out there that fit that desription they shouldn't be hard to come up with. I can't think of any off the top of my head though.

gary
08-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Gary, what team out there is loaded at running back to the point where they'll be cutting a good one?

I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, but if there are any teams out there that fit that desription they shouldn't be hard to come up with. I can't think of any off the top of my head though.Good, might just be too strong. Allow me to back up this train but an RB who might not make the team but is better than Chris or JJ.

Rey
08-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Good, might just be too strong. Allow me to back up this train but an RB who might not make the team but is better than Chris or JJ.

Honestly, I liked how those two looked last night...

I just don't think we're going to bring in a RB that is cut that will play better in our system than Henry and Johnson...

I can't think of a RB that might be cut that I'd bring in, but maybe someone else can...

b0ng
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
If our staff brings in more RB's you can pretty much guarantee that it's not going to be any name that we've ever heard of before, and it'll most likely be a body to take snaps until the final cuts come around.

gary
08-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I liked how those two looked last night...

I just don't think we're going to bring in a RB that is cut that will play better in our system than Henry and Johnson...

I can't think of a RB that might be cut that I'd bring in, but maybe someone else can...
It has happend in the past though. I was not overly impressed with Henry last night but JJ looked decent at least.

Rey
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
It has happend in the past though. I was not overly impressed with Henry last night but JJ looked decent at least.

Here?

I'm drawing a blank...

What RB's have we brought in that were cut from other teams but did well in our system?

The only one I can think of that remotely fits that description is Ryan Moats...

gary
08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Here?

I'm drawing a blank...

What RB's have we brought in that were cut from other teams but did well in our system?

The only one I can think of that remotely fits that description is Ryan Moats...
No, but elsewhere.

J_R
08-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Let me go check to Denver and Washington rosters :P

Hmm..

Toney Baker?
Lance Ball?
Justin Fargas?
Bruce Hall?
LenDale White?
Ryan Torain?
Keiland Williams?
Darrel Young?

PHAROAH
08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Carolina, Washington, Dallas & Oakland have some very good backs so we might have to trade for one but I don't trust steve slaton or arian foster. Steve Slaton is still fumbling the ball.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Justin Fargas?

Yeah, Fargas wouldn't be a terrible pickup.

PHAROAH
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Fargas is a waste of space.

JB
08-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Torrain would be nice, but I don't think he gets cut.

Hervoyel
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm a Jeremiah Johnson fan and I was excited when the Texans signed him and Foster last year. Those were just insane steals in my opinion and will pay off, actually are paying off big time. Foster is ideal for what we do and Johnson has a good chance I think of turning out to be a better fit than Steve Slaton for the third down roll. They're almost interchangeable unless you need a quick fumble in which case you probably want to go with the established leader in that category.

Seriously though I think we're good at RB "at this moment". If we lose another one though I hope we start beating the bushes for another back.

Maybe Peyton Hillis doesn't work out in Cleveland and we get lucky?

J_R
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I was impressed with Johnson last night, albeit against 3rd and 4th stringers.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm a Jeremiah Johnson fan and I was excited when the Texans signed him and Foster last year. Those were just insane steals in my opinion and will pay off, actually are paying off big time. Foster is ideal for what we do and Johnson has a good chance I think of turning out to be a better fit than Steve Slaton for the third down roll. They're almost interchangeable unless you need a quick fumble in which case you probably want to go with the established leader in that category.

Seriously though I think we're good at RB "at this moment". If we lose another one though I hope we start beating the bushes for another back.

http://images.bluebeat.com/c/3/9/6/5/2/Larry-The-Cable-Guy_21989_5.jpg
Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are..

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, Fargas wouldn't be a terrible pickup.

WalterFootball sez Fargas has signed with the Broncos.

WolverineFan
08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Hopefully Brandon Minor doesn't make the team for Chicago and we can make a run at him. Very similar runner to Tate and played in a ZBS in college.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
WalterFootball sez Fargas has signed with the Broncos.
Right, I think HoustonSportsFan09 was looking at possible cuts from the Broncos and Skins rosters.

J_R
08-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Right, I think HoustonSportsFan09 was looking at possible cuts from the Broncos and Skins rosters.

Correct.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh, my bad.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
While we're throwing out random RB names, has Brian Westbrook officially retired?? He had a pretty good nose for the endzone as I recall.

...at least before those concussions.

JB
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
While we're throwing out random RB names, has Brian Westbrook officially retired?? He had a pretty good nose for the endzone as I recall.

...at least before those concussions.

He is expected to sign with the Rams on Monday.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Maybe he'll be a Texan come Monday morning.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Torrain would be nice, but I don't think he gets cut.

Agreed

Torrain or Westbrook would be ideal.

That or if Slaton would quit fumbling the ball........

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree with Gary, although "cut" may not be the right word. There are going to be teams out there that will try to sneak a talented RB through the waivers and onto the practice squad.

If I was a draftnik, maybe I would know who these RBs might be, and I think that is what Gary was looking for.

gary
08-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Indeed some one will be placed on the wire out there.

Hervoyel
08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I know one thing. It's a tough year to be needing running backs in preseason what with the Broncos breaking them as fast as they can sign them. I hope we don't lose anymore.

PapaL
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Tony Hollings FTW!

TimeKiller
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Did Ryan Moats ever sign anywhere? I know it's not awesome but he's familiar with the system and frankly, outplayed Slaton last year.

I think Foster is going to be a decent back but probably not a spectacular back. I think Slaton's carries are about to get extremely limited and Chris Henry can't possibly be regarded as anything but a backup/special teamer. Maybe Jeremiah steps up and we get a pair of badass UDFA pickups but that's unlikely. Sigh....the interior OL sucked again too. Let's face it...it's gonna be fun as hell to watch Schaub shoot for 5,000 yards this season.

JB
08-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Saints are also looking for another back since Hamilton got hurt.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5466153)

gary
08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Did Ryan Moats ever sign anywhere? I know it's not awesome but he's familiar with the system and frankly, outplayed Slaton last year.

I think Foster is going to be a decent back but probably not a spectacular back. I think Slaton's carries are about to get extremely limited and Chris Henry can't possibly be regarded as anything but a backup/special teamer. Maybe Jeremiah steps up and we get a pair of badass UDFA pickups but that's unlikely. Sigh....the interior OL sucked again too. Let's face it...it's gonna be fun as hell to watch Schaub shoot for 5,000 yards this season.
He signed with the Vikings.

El Tejano
08-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I believe Willis Mcgahee is on the trading block. He's awesome from the one and he's got good hands, definetly a good pass blocker.

gary
08-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I believe Willis Mcgahee is on the trading block. He's awesome from the one and he's got good hands, definetly a good pass blocker.
Depends on the asking prise for him.

TexanBorn51
08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I haven't posted much but always reading this forum of wonderful information and opinions. Whether we just keep the RB's we have or not the question posted here is- to look out for any other RB's. I came across this on Rotoworld just to share the idea with these RB"S not mentioned here yet...
Coach Gary Kubiak characterized Tate's injury as "very significant," and Chronicle beat reporter John McClain is confident that Tate's season is over before it began. Arian Foster should continue his scream up fantasy boards. Chris Henry and Jeremiah Johnson are candidates for third string. The club could also take a look at free agents like Ladell Betts and Tatum Bell.

drs23
08-15-2010, 07:10 PM

:lol:

newtexan
08-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Peyton Hillis would be a major upgrade if he's available.

gary
08-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Well, we shall see if another RB or anyone else is instore for the Texans the former Bill. caugh, caugh.

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 07:27 PM
I do not know if this is the correct area. But, are there good RB's who may not make the final roster on another team to take the place of Ben Tate?

Gary you wouldn't have even ask that question if we had taken Lagarette Blount as a undrafted free agent. Now we have to see that guy twice a year.

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Carolina, Washington, Dallas & Oakland have some very good backs so we might have to trade for one but I don't trust steve slaton or arian foster. Steve Slaton is still fumbling the ball.

Carolina has arguably the best two young backs in the NFL and they aren't parting with Deangelo or J Stew.

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm really comfortable with the backs that we have now...I think we will be passing a lot anyway becasue that is out strength.

gary
08-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Gary you wouldn't have even ask that question if we had taken Lagarette Blount as a undrafted free agent. Now we have to see that guy twice a year.He's good? I do not know much about him.

El Tejano
08-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Gary you wouldn't have even ask that question if we had taken Lagarette Blount as a undrafted free agent. Now we have to see that guy twice a year.

Thanks for reminding me how much I wanted that guy to be on our team.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for reminding me how much I wanted that guy to be on our team.

With McNair owning the team that wasn't going to happen.

gary
08-15-2010, 08:38 PM
So, who is he?

The1ApplePie
08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Maybe we could offer Al Davis something stupid for McFadden:kitten:

Clamp
08-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Maybe we could offer Al Davis something stupid for McFadden:kitten:

Trindon Holliday! You know how crazy he is for speedsters. And Id take michael bush if they didnt want to give up mcfadden, he's been doing much better any way. And Im always ok with offering fred bennet in any deal, just to make it look better to them.

Baltimore is in need of secondary help. I know we arent loaded in that area, but if we offered fred bennet and maybe 1 of our young safeties (NOT NOLAN!) in a deal to get willis mcgahee, that would free us of a liability and bag us needed help.

gary
08-16-2010, 08:48 AM
If Slaton does not improve then another RB would be ideal but it's still early on.

The1ApplePie
08-16-2010, 09:51 AM
What about Maroney from the Pats? He seems firmly in the doghouse over there.

gary
08-16-2010, 10:04 AM
What about Maroney from the Pats? He seems firmly in the doghouse over there.
Why? Not due to his play I am sure?

painekiller
08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
So, who is he?

Blount was the kid suspended from the Oregon Ducks for punching the player from BYU. Then Blount proceeded to have a meltdown, it took police to get him off the field.

The kid has a million dollar body and a 5 cent brain.

Honoring Earl 34
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.hautecritique.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/superstock_253-215.jpg

I think Jerimiah Johnson will appease the Toby Gerhart crowd .

I think Jerimiah Johnson is a good back who's not flashy , he just gets yardage . The big knock on him was he was quicker than fast but he was the best back I thought at the senior bowl . His ypc at Oregon was impressive .

The impressive thing about him is he was playing with a shoulder that popped out . He learned how to pop it back in and keep going . This happened last year at camp and they told him to have it fixed .

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Why? Not due to his play I am sure?

He has not played particularly well.

welsh texan
08-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Lets not forget that throughout the Shanahan era Denver made use of a lot of low round and UDFA free agents to great effect so hopefully JJ, AF & Henry having been around for a year are all going to perform well in the system.

That said I wouldn't say no to McGahee or someone other of quality if it didn't cost too much but we should get by.

gary
08-16-2010, 11:52 AM
He has not played particularly well.
Oh, I did not know that.

Jackie Chiles
08-16-2010, 12:20 PM
[IMG]The impressive thing about him is he was playing with a shoulder that popped out . He learned how to pop it back in and keep going . This happened last year at camp and they told him to have it fixed .

According to Mel Gibson that is very painful.

rmartin65
08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
According to Mel Gibson that is very painful.

As someone who experiences this, it is very painful. Dude must be tough as nails to play football at such a high level with it.

Honoring Earl 34
08-16-2010, 12:31 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2009/04/nfl_draft_uos_johnson_goes_und.html

Johnson, whose 6.7 yards-per-carry average ranks first in UO history for running backs with 2,000 yards or more, said he signed a free agent contract with the Houston Texans.

The Texans did not draft a running back and have two productive running backs on their roster: last year's rookie sensation Steve Slaton and six-year veteran Chris Brown.

"I think anybody, when you have a good season like I did and did everything right, it's your dream to hear your name called in the draft," Johnson said. "But after everything was over, we knew why they didn't call my name. Everything was put in perspective, and my future is in my hands."

Johnson's agent, Bardia Ghahremani, said his client went undrafted because of a medical flag NFL teams placed on him because of a shoulder injury from last season. It also didn't help that the 5-foot-9 Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in a mediocre 4.65 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2010, 12:39 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2009/04/nfl_draft_uos_johnson_goes_und.html

He may not be very fast but he looked quick around the line. I'm excited to see what he can do with more playing time.

gary
08-16-2010, 12:50 PM
He may not be very fast but he looked quick around the line. I'm excited to see what he can do with more playing time.
I am too.

J_R
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Derrick Ward anyone?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/derrick-ward-could-be-on-the-chopping-block/

Bucs G.M. Mark Dominik may have to admit another mistake.

The team looks ready to cut the cord with wide receiver Michael Clayton (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1930), and running back Derrick Ward (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2925) also could be on the way out (http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/ward-running-out-of-time/).

Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune writes that Ward has "a lot of ground to make up and little time to do it" just to make the team. The man outplaying Ward? Kareem Huggins (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5585), who went undrafted out of Hofstra in 2009.

TAMPA—The next three weeks could define Derrick Ward’s NFL future.

It was only a year ago that Ward entered the preseason as a targeted free agent pickup from the Giants, coming off a 1,025-yard season. With Cadillac Williams and Earnest Graham rebounding from serious injuries, the Bucs spent big bucks bringing Ward in with hopes he would provide steady production in the backfield.

It hasn’t happened.

Ward became an afterthought in 2009 after Williams proved he had overcome two torn patellars and his effort Saturday night at Miami has Ward clearly in the spotlight before the games count, starting with the Sept. 12 opener against Cleveland.

GM Mark Dominik has a lot invested in Ward, besides the big contract.
Releasing or trading Ward would be an acknowledgement that Tampa Bay made a mistake, but the Bucs have vowed to go with their best 53 players coming out of camp.

Right now, Kareem Huggins looks like the better running back and Caddy is 100 percent healthy.

Ward has a lot of ground to make up and little time to do it.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/ward-running-out-of-time/

Blake
08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I am fine with Foster, Slaton, Henry and Johnson.

beerlover
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I would not expect Rick Smith to go after a big name, more like take a player off another teams practice squad :evil:

Rey
08-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I would not expect Rick Smith to go after a big name, more like take a player off another teams practice squad :evil:

This.

I can't even see them spending a 5th rounder to bring a RB in. They seem to like the draft.

HoustonFrog
08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
LZ mentioned Betts this morning. I like that guy.

The1ApplePie
08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Maybe there is a team in the market for 6 or 7 TEs that we can trade with

beerlover
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM

well they do play Washington in the 2nd game, Texans like to aquire players before they play against their former teams :specnatz:

gary
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I know it's only one game but I am not completely sold on Steve yet.

JB
08-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Too late. He signed with the Saints today.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/11990/saints-add-rb-ladell-betts

gary
08-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Darn it.

mariowillshine15
08-16-2010, 06:13 PM

I rather go with the young guys who have potential than a back-up who's ceiling is already known.

I don't think we need anybody except Stick-Em for Slaton when he's in the game.

Rey
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Can we trade Andre Davis for a fringe back?

gary
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
And now Steve just might be injured once again but we shall see.

The1ApplePie
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I wonder if Addai is on the block

Hervoyel
08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
I understand Ron Dayne has dropped back to 4 cheeseburgers per sitting in anticipation of a call. It's good to see that somebody is taking this seriously.

gary
08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
We need some one IMO.

steelbtexan
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Ward would be a great fit. I wanted Smithiak to sign him in FA. He's a good no.2 RB and would be a great fit with Foster.

I dont think Slaton is healthy. Never seeing Slaton carrying the ball in the red zone would be fine with me.

Victor B
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Wait to see if the Redskins end up keeping Anthony Alridge. I think the Texans should pick him back up again. Talk about a RB who can make plays...

No More 8-8's
08-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Wait to see if the Redskins end up keeping Anthony Alridge. I think the Texans should pick him back up again. Talk about a RB who can make plays...
As much as i would love to see anthony aldridge play for the texans, i dont think he fills a need. We need a larger back for goal line situations.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Don't need anyone to take Ben's place. He wasn't going to factor into the offense that much this year anyway.

As far as picking someone up though, I'd be for that given some of the names still out there.

Texecutioner
08-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Trindon Holliday! You know how crazy he is for speedsters. And Id take michael bush if they didnt want to give up mcfadden, he's been doing much better any way. And Im always ok with offering fred bennet in any deal, just to make it look better to them.

Baltimore is in need of secondary help. I know we arent loaded in that area, but if we offered fred bennet and maybe 1 of our young safeties (NOT NOLAN!) in a deal to get willis mcgahee, that would free us of a liability and bag us needed help.

You're talking about Baltimore being weak in the secondary, and you think we should give up some of our secondary? Lol! DO you have any idea how thin we are in our secondary? Hell, we're so thin we've got to depend on a rookie and a 2nd year player to be our starting CB's. We aren't in any position to give up any DB's, and what team on earth would give up a decent RB for Bennett? Our secondary is in just as bad of a situation as Baltimore. No way in hell the Texans make our secondary any thinner than it already is.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
We might be better off waiting until after the 1st round of cuts. We'll see who's released from the Seahawks, Skins and other teams that might run a little ZBS

Texas T
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
We might be better off waiting until after the 1st round of cuts. We'll see who's released from the Seahawks, Skins and other teams that might run a little ZBS

This.

I've been waiting to comment until I saw the game.
I've now watched the first half of the game, unless Slaton is hurt (as is being talked about in another thread) I think he'll be fine.
He just doesn't need to carry the ball into the endzone.

gary
08-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Don't need anyone to take Ben's place. He wasn't going to factor into the offense that much this year anyway.

As far as picking someone up though, I'd be for that given some of the names still out there.Steve does not look like he has quite solved his problems yet either.

Texas T
08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Steve does not look like he has quite solved his problems yet either.

I would have to disagree with you on this one gary. Again, I've only watched the first half but with the exception of one play Slaton consistantly put up positive yards. That's what we need in a running game.
Again, I'm not sure if I'd trust him in a goal line situation, with his fumbling, but it was only one time...so far this year...

painekiller
08-17-2010, 01:55 PM
As much as i would love to see anthony aldridge play for the texans, i dont think he fills a need. We need a larger back for goal line situations.

In the last 15 years the best RBs for scoring in the red zone have been the short low built guys. AA fits that description, as does J. Johnson.

painekiller
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I would have to disagree with you on this one gary. Again, I've only watched the first half but with the exception of one play Slaton consistantly put up positive yards. That's what we need in a running game.
Again, I'm not sure if I'd trust him in a goal line situation, with his fumbling, but it was only one time...so far this year...

2.2 yds per carry, that is what we need.

Texas T
08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
2.2 yds per carry, that is what we need.

Exactly, that's enough to keep the defense honest.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
In the last 15 years the best RBs for scoring in the red zone have been the short low built guys. AA fits that description, as does J. Johnson.

Short guys with a little sand in their pants. 5'-9" ~ 175-185 lbs.? Not so much.

gary
08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Exactly, that's enough to keep the defense honest.He was one of the worst runners out of all four of them but that might change I hope it does. I always cheer for our guys and Steve is one of them.

The1ApplePie
08-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Adrian Peterson (the crappy one) was released by the Seahawks:kitten:

gary
08-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Slaton may or may not improve but I would not put all of my stock in him since he was injured and had fumbling problems because of it. Just saying.

hradhak
08-18-2010, 08:19 PM
I think the #2 spot is still up in the air. I think it is still Slaton's job to lose at this point though. Slaton just hasn't been that impressive, and any further fumbling means he's going to drop down the depth chart.

I think we are going to see some problems with scoring in the red zone this year. I wasn't impressed with our red zone performance in the first game, granted the first strigners weren't in for much of the game. Still, I don't think Foster is a red zone back. I think the guy who can prove he can pound it out in the red zone will stay on this team.

gary
08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
JJ might become the number two if Slaton does not show an improvment.

C Madd
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM

lol

TexanExile
08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Really though, now that the Titans locked up mighty Samkon (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/17/1779848/titans-sign-gado-waive-injured.html), what's the point of even looking?

:sarcasm:

I'm comfortable with where we are right now. Better choices will come with cuts, as long as there are no more injuries.

ChampionTexan
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM

After exhaustive research, from page 30 of the Texans personnel/talent evaluation manual:

"Guys over 30, Guys with bad character, and guys requiring the parenthetical use of "the crappy one" after their name need not apply"

The1ApplePie
08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I really wish Maroney hadn't picked right now to get out of Belicheat's doghouse. Probably could have been had for a 6th rounder

ObsiWan
08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I understand Ron Dayne has dropped back to 4 cheeseburgers per sitting in anticipation of a call. It's good to see that somebody is taking this seriously.

After an extensive conversation with Charles Spencer, Duane Brown votes "not just no, but HELL no" to Ron Dayne.

Napa Auto Parts
08-20-2010, 12:41 AM
we should wait out for the redskins or the seashawks or the ravens to cut someone.
or what about that Criminal that carries guns that plays for the Bills im thinking he can be had for a 4th rounder.

El Tejano
08-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Whoever doesn't win out of that Ivory and PJ Hill guy that we played last night should get a call from us.

gary
08-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Whoever doesn't win out of that Ivory and PJ Hill guy that we played last night should get a call from us.
I concur.

beerlover
08-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Justin Fargas could be released from Denver?

El Tejano
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Justin Fargas could be released from Denver?

Do you know the reason behind that? Knoshawn is out for the season and I can't even think of who else they have.

Wouldn't mind bringing him in. Kubiak said in his presser that we got four RBs but that don't mean that will be the four when the season starts.

Dutchrudder
08-30-2010, 01:01 PM
we should wait out for the redskins or the seashawks or the ravens to cut someone.
or what about that Criminal that carries guns that plays for the Bills im thinking he can be had for a 4th rounder.

The rumors after the draft were that the Bills were asking for a 2nd for him, which is probably why he didn't get traded.

Personally, if I were the Bills GM/Coach I would stick with 3 runnigbacks because their passing game is going to be horrible this year.

HOU-TEX
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Do you know the reason behind that? Knoshawn is out for the season and I can't even think of who else they have.

Wouldn't mind bringing him in. Kubiak said in his presser that we got four RBs but that don't mean that will be the four when the season starts.

Moreno is not out for the season. He just had a hammy issue and is expected back practicing this week. They also have Buckhalter, Ball, Hall and LenWhale White. Unless they really like Ball or Hall, I don't see Fargas going anywhere right now. LenWhale is suspended the 1st 4 games too.

ChampionTexan
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Moreno's not out for the season - he's still #1 on their depth chart, and he should be available for their opening game. Plus, Corel Buckhalter and Lendale White are both currently listed ahead of Fargas on the depth chart.

El Tejano
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Moreno's not out for the season - he's still #1 on their depth chart, and he should be available for their opening game. Plus, Corel Buckhalter and Lendale White are both currently listed ahead of Fargas on the depth chart.

Wow! Fargas is just falling off huh? I still wouldn't mind him here.

Brisco_County
08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Fargas was released today.

A couple of years ago, I remember him being quite explosive. He should at least be brought in for a workout.

TexanExile
08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Here's confirmation (http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story/09000d5d81a20eab/article/broncos-release-exraiders-rb-fargas-ahead?module=HP_headlines) of the Fargas cut.

I dunno. 6'1, 220 pounds...questionable knee...magic RB age of 30...but he does bring experience. He'd hardly know what to do with himself when a legitimate NFL QB handed him the ball. It's been years.

JB
08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Here's confirmation (http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story/09000d5d81a20eab/article/broncos-release-exraiders-rb-fargas-ahead?module=HP_headlines) of the Fargas cut.

I dunno. 6'1, 220 pounds...questionable knee...magic RB age of 30...but he does bring experience. He'd hardly know what to do with himself when a legitimate NFL QB handed him the ball. It's been years.

Damn, that young pup is already 30? :eek: I was old when he started in the NFL!

Time flies when your having fun! :D

Brisco_County
08-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Damn, that young pup is already 30? :eek: I was old when he started in the NFL!

Time flies when your having fun! :D

Or it stands still if you play for the Raiders. He's probably 50 in Raider years.

beerlover
08-31-2010, 05:25 AM
Texans would prefer someone with NFL experience, which means to get someone really good & up to speed a trade is in order. However keep an eye on the waiver wire as teams try to stash players on PS.

I remember badboy, martin65 & myself really liked Joique Bell, 5-11 220 out of Wayne State. He went undrafted & picked up by Bills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNMt1ZzJ3Q

Trail.Blazr
08-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Trade from where you are stacked.

The panthers are HURTING at WR. I wonder what they would take for Stewart or Williams.

El Tejano
08-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Trade from where you are stacked.

The panthers are HURTING at WR. I wonder what they would take for Stewart or Williams.

I assume they would just take their chances and stay with the two good running backs.

El Tejano
08-31-2010, 08:12 AM

From what I understand, he would also be a viable option as a punt returner, no? If he can be a mulitple position veteran that would help us out alot.

gary
08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
I would bring Justin in for a work out at least.

El Tejano
08-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know any of his issues but KFFL.com just reported that Derrick Ward was released by Tampa.

JB
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't know any of his issues but KFFL.com just reported that Derrick Ward was released by Tampa.

Yep. Bucs have made that announcement per Adam Schefter.

gary
08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
I think the one and two might be set but I am just not a big fan of Henry.

Blake
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Fargas can stay home. Bring in Derrick Ward. He wasnt able to live up to his 4 year 17 mil contract, but can still ball.

El Tejano
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Fargas can stay home. Bring in Derrick Ward. He wasnt able to live up to his 4 year 17 mil contract, but can still ball.

I wonder what the deal was that they let go of Ward though. I think he would be a great guy off the bench for us.

beerlover
08-31-2010, 02:00 PM
I wonder what the deal was that they let go of Ward though. I think he would be a great guy off the bench for us.

Bucs coach Raheem Morris doesn’t appear too happy with the shape Derrick Ward is in.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/08/26/morris-takes-issue-with-ward/

J_R
08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
He got outplayed by UDFA rookie Kareem Huggins.

mattieuk
08-31-2010, 03:10 PM

Just about 20 minutes after I'd picked him up in my FF draft. Crap.

gary
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Just about 20 minutes after I'd picked him up in my FF draft. Crap.
What about dropping him and adding a FA?

beerlover
09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Lets assume teams will protect a quality RB making 53 man roster cut down & do not expose him (waivers trying to sneak him onto the PS) because of the Texans situation (Tate lost for year & Slaton struggling with injurys) a trade is in order.

This is too important to overlook heading into what could be a playoff season. Ideally it would be nice to work out a trade involving players which would also solve each teams 53 man roster. But to pry someone young, with upside who could also bolster the return game (loss of Holiday) giving up a draft pick may need to included.

I think this is the time to strike, Rick Smith. This hurts, but I would offer a 4th rd. pick to aquire Mike Goodson from the Carolina Panthers. He's kinda buried behind DeAngelo Williams & Jonathan Stewart but adds a double bonus with his return skill/experience & explosive running style, think Steve Slaton. Many of you remember his playing days @ Texas A&M but if Rick could pull off this trade it returns some balance to both the running & return games.

Tell me what U think?

http://www.panthersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/goodson.jpg

rmartin65
09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Lets assume teams will protect a quality RB making 53 man roster cut down & do not expose him (waivers trying to sneak him onto the PS) because of the Texans situation (Tate lost for year & Slaton struggling with injurys) a trade is in order.

This is too important to overlook heading into what could be a playoff season. Ideally it would be nice to work out a trade involving players which would also solve each teams 53 man roster. But to pry someone young, with upside who could also bolster the return game (loss of Holiday) giving up a draft pick may need to included.

I think this is the time to strike, Rick Smith. This hurts, but I would offer a 4th rd. pick to aquire Mike Goodson from the Carolina Panthers. He's kinda buried behind DeAngelo Williams & Jonathan Stewart but adds a double bonus with his return skill/experience & explosive running style, think Steve Slaton. Many of you remember his playing days @ Texas A&M but if Rick could pull off this trade it returns some balance to both the running & return games.

Tell me what U think?

I could see it. Half of the backs on the Texans roster have histories of injuries. And one of the two that dont (Henry) is a workout warrior/ST type guy, not a true back in my opinion. Something has to happen, and the Panthers have the depth to make a trade even.

El Tejano
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
With Jeremiah Johnson going down, looks like we will need to do something quick. I can't believe we still dont got a road grader.

TexanSam
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Man, who would have though Arian Foster and Chris Henry would be our only 2 healthy running backs going into the season. Bad luck this preseason

Section516
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Tell me what U think?

Some of us remember him from blocking for him in high school...

DoCRoN
09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
I know it ain't sexy, but....

Ryan Moats anyone?

Mean Machine
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
The runningback situation has reached critical need after J Johnson's injury and who knows what Slaton's status is.
I think we see who gets cut today and then if no one really serious gets cut, we either offer a late pick or a trade(tight end maybe) for Goodson.
He looked really good the other night for the Panthers.

GuerillaBlack
09-03-2010, 08:48 AM
I know it ain't sexy, but....

Ryan Moats anyone?

On the Eagles.

ChampionTexan
09-03-2010, 08:55 AM
On the Eagles.

I don't believe he is - cut by Vikings, still available.

Mean Machine
09-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Yep, Moats is not on their 75 man roster according to vikings.com.

JB
09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Former Buccaneers running back Derrick Ward is visiting the Texans today. Seattle also has expressed interest.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Mean Machine
09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Looks like Derrick Ward coming in according to PFT!

Cut earlier this week by the Bucs only a year after signing with them, running back Derrick Ward will commence his search for a new team.

And while some Giants fans are hoping that he'll return to Big Blue, the process begins with Ward visiting the Houston Texans.

A league source tells us that Ward will go to Houston today, and that he possibly could visit the Seahawks.

Ward would diversify a Texans' backfield that lost rookie running back Ben Tate for the season. If he signs there, he'd likely share touches with Arian Foster and Steve Slaton.

It's unclear how Ward would fit in Seattle, and it's possible that someone currently occupying a spot on the depth chart that he assumed would be safe could be jettisoned.

GuerillaBlack
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't believe he is - cut by Vikings, still available.

Yeah, I meant Vikings. I thought he was still on there. If he's available, Kubiak should be making the all. I'd feel much more comfortable if Moats was signed. Foster, Slaton, and Moats doesn't sound too bad to start the season.

Errant Hothy
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
No thanks to Ward. It just seems to me he doesn not care anymore.

DexmanC
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I meant Vikings. I thought he was still on there. If he's available, Kubiak should be making the all. I'd feel much more comfortable if Moats was signed. Foster, Slaton, and Moats doesn't sound too bad to start the season.

Moats ain't coming back to Houston. He was in Kubiak's doghouse, because
he sucks at pass protection. Matt Schaub is the MVP of this team, like it
or not.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
There was a huge public laundering by the Bucs coach of Ward coming into camp overweight and sluggish after missing previous OTAs. His weight, though, was still listed at 228, the same as he weighed since 2007 when he had his great Giants season. Ward denied conditioning problems or weight change. His performance in preseason has been nothing to brag about. I guess he could have gained fat, lost muscle, and maintained the same weight.
The Bucs didn't have the greatest OL. Who knows what a 5'10" 228 pounder might do for the the Texans, with a good RB coach and so far impressive OL........and a very "distracting" passing game.

Trail.Blazr
09-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd be curious in checking out Willie Parker, should he not survive cuts in Washington. I've read where he might not make the roster with Portis and Johnson. I'd never have argued Parker to be better than either Portis or Johnson, but certainly a back that can help win some games, if in shape. He holds a superbowl record I believe. The knock on him would be pass protection.

gary
09-03-2010, 07:01 PM
It does not look like the Texans are wasting too much time.

beerlover
09-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Texans would prefer someone with NFL experience, which means to get someone really good & up to speed a trade is in order. However keep an eye on the waiver wire as teams try to stash players on PS.

I remember badboy, martin65 & myself really liked Joique Bell, 5-11 220 out of Wayne State. He went undrafted & picked up by Bills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNMt1ZzJ3Q

would have to trade for him now it would seem -Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey said he was pleasantly surprised by RB Joique Bell's performance during the preseason, reports Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com. "He's done an excellent job. He's a really good football player. He's learned a lot. He was doing one thing in college and he's had to learn the entire game here. And he's done a great job picking it up and there will be some tough decisions for us," Gailey said.

b0ng
09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking somebody who is relatively unknown miiiiiight be brought in for PS material but I doubt I could even come up with an obscure name right now. I think Ward is going to be the guy who is a somewhat well known name as far as RB's we are looking at on the waiver wire.

beerlover
09-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking somebody who is relatively unknown miiiiiight be brought in for PS material but I doubt I could even come up with an obscure name right now. I think Ward is going to be the guy who is a somewhat well known name as far as RB's we are looking at on the waiver wire.

Going with Ward is risky for Kubiak & too easy for Rick Smith on the eve of 2010 season. Once again they show a lack of urgency to address the RB position & hesitancy to trade draft pick w/another team. Surely they have a list of top flight RB's on other teams rosters they covet & would be willing to talk trade? Tashard Choice & Mike Goodson come to the forefront of my thinking who could come in here & provide some stablity to our situation that can be had because of those teams depth @ position (Carolina - DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart, Dallas Jones/Barber).

IDEXAN
09-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Going with Ward is risky for Kubiak & too easy for Rick Smith on the eve of 2010 season. Once again they show a lack of urgency to address the RB position & hesitancy to trade draft pick w/another team. Surely they have a list of top flight RB's on other teams rosters they covet & would be willing to talk trade? Tashard Choice & Mike Goodson come to the forefront of my thinking who could come in here & provide some stablity to our situation that can be had because of those teams depth @ position (Carolina - DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart, Dallas Jones/Barber).
Or maybe they're just tired of seeing their running back corp getting busted-up (including this years second-rounder on IR), and instead want to limit their investment in running backs for the near-term to cash and hold back the more valuable Draft picks for longer-term player acquisisions ?
And is Ward that bad, 'cause I don't know ? We're bound to have a change of luck with our backs, and maybe Foster & Slaton get us thru the season ?
In the meantime what we need now is an insurance policy from an experienced vet.

b0ng
09-04-2010, 11:56 AM

I really have hard time being upset at how the Texans handled the RB position this offseason, sorry. I am also not really liking the idea of trading draft picks (especially anything in the 3 4 or 5 range) for positions that have such a short shelf life.

The reason we don't have stability at this position is because we have been hit pretty hard at RB specifically with injuries, and to go backwards and point to offseason moves and saying "See they screwed up cause look at where we are now" is just hindsighting the whole thing.

EDIT: I also think Ward is a decent signing for the even of the season because he is a vet, and I'm sure he is more competent than Chris freakin Henry.

RagingBull
09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
According to rotoworld, Dallas is taking offers on Tashard Choice. Depending on the price he could be an excellent pick up.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Last year we started the season with Slaton, Chris Brown, and Ryan Moats.

While the redzone was a problem, the offense as a whole wasn't.

This year, essentially what they've done is added Foster as the #1 guy, replaced Brown/Moats with Slaton/Ward and perhaps Johnson eventually.

Do they have an Adrian Peterson/Chris Johnson on the roster - nope. But I do think it's going to be a definite improvement over the 2009 group.

My two questions about the RB corp right now are:

1. Can Arian Foster's presence at #1 RB provide meaningful improvement in the Red Zone?

2. Is Slaton's neck really healthy enough to be an effective change of pace back for the entire season. And even if it is, does he believe that.

I have more apprehension regarding the second question than the first - fortunately, the first is the more important of the two.

beerlover
09-04-2010, 12:13 PM
good discussion as always guys that's what this forum should be all about, to express our opinions. Kubiak & Co are not known for their running attack, hopefully they get it right & Arian Foster becomes second coming of Terrell Davis & Tate recovers next year to be Clnton Portis, I'm just a realist stuck in draft mode 365 & the RB need has just not been adequately addressed over the course of Texans franchise history IMO :logo:

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 01:08 PM
good discussion as always guys that's what this forum should be all about, to express our opinions. Kubiak & Co are not known for their running attack, hopefully they get it right & Arian Foster becomes second coming of Terrell Davis & Tate recovers next year to be Clnton Portis, I'm just a realist stuck in draft mode 365 & the RB need has just not been adequately addressed over the course of Texans franchise history IMO :logo:

For me, our RB situation now is really about how we drafted 2-3 years ago. RBs have a short shelf life. They get injured. They're a position where you prefer vets for their ability to pick up blitzes but rookies can frequently come in and contribute.

We don't have that deep stable of running backs like the Vikings, Titans, and Cowboys have (or even like the Bills or Raiders.) And you build a deep stable of backs like that by drafting them. Frequently, drafting 2 in a draft.

The Cowboys had Julius Jones and Marion Barber and they still drafted Felix Jones and Tashard Choice. The Vikings had Chester Taylor and still drafted Adrian Peterson and Mewelde Moore and now Toby Gerhart. The Titans drafted Lendale White, then they drafted Chris Henry, then they drafted Chris Johnson and Javon Ringer.

If we want to be a strong running team, we need to have drafted like that. Instead of drafting like that for RBs, we've been drafting like that for TE and CB. So, I'm happy with the TE's (we are absolutely stocked there) and I think we're probably good at CB... but I do question that we haven't focused more on RB.

We might end up great with the two UDFA's we got last year. And at the beginning of training camp, I was pretty happy with the stable of running backs that we had. Ben Tate, Arian Foster, Steve Slaton, Jeremiah Johnson, and Chris Henry is not a bad group of guys to work with (although I would have liked to have one more body in that group.) But like I said at the beginning of all this, you've got to expect that several of your RBs go down during preseason and the regular season, so you need to be stocked there.

beerlover
09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Texans get a second chance Bills just released RB Joique Bell. :heart:

rmartin65
09-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Texans get a second chance Bills just released RB Joique Bell. :heart:

Would love to see him brought in for a look.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I want me some Joique Bell.

Foster, Slaton, Ward, and Bell could be nice. And then when Jeremiah Johnson is healthy, we could be set for RBs for a while.

gary
09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Bring him in for a look.

steelbtexan
09-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Raheem Morris is in over his head. Ward realized this after winning a ring with NYG. You can see how a rift developed between them.

A RB crew of

1. Foster
2. Slaton
3. Ward
4. Torain cut by Wash today

This looks alot better than an injured Slaton, Moats,C,Brown and 2 UDFA rookies (Foster,Johnson) that were last yrs RB corps.

steelbtexan
09-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm all for bringing in Bell.

gary
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
The backfield is just better off not having Brown in there.

beerlover
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM

if Rick Smith signs Joique I'll shut my big fat mouth on this subject & proceed to party until opening day :toast2: :bluesbro: :wesmantexanfan:

Rey
09-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Man I just watched some of his film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJGf5asUVY)and read some comments from Buffalo fans and I do not see why they cut this guy.

Maybe they thought they could sneak him onto their PS but I don't see it.

His college team, Wayne State, looks like they run the exact same offense as the Texans...Lots and lots of zone plays...

He has good speed, good vision, and he's pretty tough...

I would love to get that guy in here...I'd feel really really good about the RB situation if we did...

drs23
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
if Rick Smith signs Joique I'll shut my big fat mouth on this subject & proceed to party until opening day :toast2: :bluesbro: :wesmantexanfan:

And I will join you :wesmantexanfan:

Man I just watched some of his film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJGf5asUVY)and read some comments from Buffalo fans and I do not see why they cut this guy.

Maybe they thought they could sneak him onto their PS but I don't see it.

His college team, Wayne State, looks like they run the exact same offense as the Texans...Lots and lots of zone plays...

He has good speed, good vision, and he's pretty tough...

I would love to get that guy in here...I'd feel really really good about the RB situation if we did...

I agree. If Rick Smith pulled the trigger on this I'd be both surpised and very pleased :splits:

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
And I will join you :wesmantexanfan:

I agree. If Rick Smith pulled the trigger on this I'd be both surpised and very pleased :splits:

He may never get the chance to.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM
He may never get the chance to.

Yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of teams that get a shot at him before we do.

But if he drops to us, I want him. I can't believe he was cut.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of teams that get a shot at him before we do.

But if he drops to us, I want him. I can't believe he was cut.

When you look at how deep the Bills are at RB, it's not that surprising. The Bills are probably still hoping that he clears waivers (silly gooses) so that they can put him on their PS.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Bell was amazing in college, and didn't seem to miss a step with the Bills preseason.

VISION, POWER AND SPEED [VIDEO] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJGf5asUVY&feature=related)

I'd pay one of the front picking teams to select him for us.

ObsiWan
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Bell was amazing in college, and didn't seem to miss a step with the Bills preseason.

VISION, POWER AND SPEED [VIDEO] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJGf5asUVY&feature=related)

I'd pay one of the front picking teams to select him for us.

Where the heck is Wayne State? Is that Division II??
Would he be the Jacoby Jones of RBs?

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Where the heck is Wayne State? Is that Division II??
Would he be the Jacoby Jones of RBs?

Michigan, and yes it's division II.
He was recruited by several MAJOR colleges as a defensive back, but just wanted to be an RB. So he chose to stay close to home and excel at a position that others felt he couldn't.

ObsiWan
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Can the kid catch or block?
If he can't catch or block bring in someone who can.
I'm not a draftnik - obviously - so this is the first time I've even heard his name. And I don't seem to recall anyone asking to take a flyer on him on draft day.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm not a draftnik - obviously - so this is the first time I've even heard his name. And I don't seem to recall anyone asking to take a flyer on him on draft day.

Hottoddie had him in the 7th for us in his mock. IIRC, Badboy and Mussop liked him.

IIRC, he ran slow and that dropped him.

I didn't think he'd be able to perform at the NFL level like he had at Wayne State. But after seeing him in the preseason with the Bills, I really like him now. He's much better than I thought he was.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:37 PM

At the Senior Bowl, the scouts were commenting on his receiving ability and his pass blocking, which is surprising because his draft profiles were concerned about his pass blocking at the NFL level. Even so, most of the reports went on to say that he has the tools to hone that skill. During preseason, he didn't seem to demonstrate any problems with his pass blocking.

CloakNNNdagger
09-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Hottoddie had him in the 7th for us in his mock. IIRC, Badboy and Mussop liked him.

IIRC, he ran slow and that dropped him.

I didn't think he'd be able to perform at the NFL level like he had at Wayne State. But after seeing him in the preseason with the Bills, I really like him now. He's much better than I thought he was.

He ran a 4.5. If he runs like a 4.5, that's EXACTLY WHAT I WANT..........a 4.5 RB.

GP
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Raheem Morris is in over his head. Ward realized this after winning a ring with NYG. You can see how a rift developed between them.

A RB crew of

1. Foster
2. Slaton
3. Ward
4. Torain cut by Wash today

This looks alot better than an injured Slaton, Moats,C,Brown and 2 UDFA rookies (Foster,Johnson) that were last yrs RB corps.

Torain. Watched him play. He'd do alright here.

I'm down for it.

ObsiWan
09-04-2010, 09:56 PM
He ran a 4.5. If he runs like a 4.5, that's EXACTLY WHAT I WANT..........a 4.5 RB.
should I insert the sarcasm smiley here or no...??
:thinking:

awtysst
09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Torain. Watched him play. He'd do alright here.

I'm down for it.

Torain cannot stay healthy. He was drafted by the Broncos in 2008 and before the season started he injured his shoulder. Then in 08 he got his first start carried about 10 or 12 times and tore his ACL and went on IR. Now with Shanny in DC he gets cut due to another rumored injury

rmartin65
09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
should I insert the sarcasm smiley here or no...??
:thinking:

I dont know about him, but I am perfectly fine with a RB with 4.5 speed. RB is more about instincts, balance and acceleration. Sure top of the line speed is nice, but it is an overrated attribute in my opinion.

I had Joique Bell rated as a 5th rounder. I would be absolutely giddy should the Texans pick him up.

JB
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I dont know about him, but I am perfectly fine with a RB with 4.5 speed. RB is more about instincts, balance and acceleration. Sure top of the line speed is nice, but it is an overrated attribute in my opinion.

I had Joique Bell rated as a 5th rounder. I would be absolutely giddy should the Texans pick him up.

He would have to claim him off the Bills PS

rmartin65
09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
He would have to claim him off the Bills PS

Sounds like the Texans passed on him then. That is interesting. I would be surprised if the Texans dont pick up another back before the season starts.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Sounds like the Texans passed on him then. That is interesting. I would be surprised if the Texans dont pick up another back before the season starts.

Supposedly, Bell did not demonstrate adequate receiving skills in TC and preseason, something that Kubiak requires without a doubt.

beerlover
09-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Supposedly, Bell did not demonstrate adequate receiving skills in TC and preseason, something that Kubiak requires without a doubt.

do you have a link? I should really like to see that....

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 11:09 PM

All I've got is that during the preseason, he caught 4 passes for 15 yards. In the first preseason game, I recall seeing him throw a block or two and was actually a little surprised at how well he blocked because he looked small (even though his stats say he's 220#). He didn't pancake anyone or anything but he got in the way OK.

OTOH, I only watched the game against the Redskins.

beerlover
09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
he is a power back with upper & lower body strength, he fits a one cut downhill scheme like the Texans covet, has dynamic elusive skills in open field, good ball security & soft hands. he is actually one of the best backs coming out of college for what the Texans run, it makes no sense to me how they could have a total breakdown of film & not realize this. size, speed & raw ability @ a need position that doesn't cost a draft pick only a roster spot. Don't know where this doubt surfaces with his receiving skills either, dude caught like 79 receptions in college for 918 yards & 8 touchdowns, c'mon guys what more could you ask from an undrafted free agent, boggles my mind :rant:

JB
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
he is a power back with upper & lower body strength, he fits a one cut downhill scheme like the Texans covet, has dynamic elusive skills in open field, good ball security & soft hands. he is actually one of the best backs coming out of college for what the Texans run, it makes no sense to me how they could have a total breakdown of film & not realize this. size, speed & raw ability @ a need position that doesn't cost a draft pick only a roster spot. Don't know where this doubt surfaces with his receiving skills either, dude caught like 79 receptions in college for 918 yards & 8 touchdowns, c'mon guys what more could you ask from an undrafted free agent, boggles my mind :rant:

Perhaps they think they have pretty much the same thing in JJ

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Amen. I think the kid would be a great fit at a position we have a real need at. The Redskins may feel comfy with 3 RBs but that scares the snot out of me. I like this kid better than I like Ward.

rmartin65
09-06-2010, 08:14 AM

This has the rmartin65 seal of approval. I echo everything in this post.

I guess this is the nature of the beast (NFL) though. Everyone gets attached to certain players, and statistically, it is unlikely that they will land on your team.

xreadx
09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
i wish we would pick up legarrette blount... he has bad character...but i like it :)

xreadx
09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
nm he signed in Tampa

steelbtexan
09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
This has the rmartin65 seal of approval. I echo everything in this post.

I guess this is the nature of the beast (NFL) though. Everyone gets attached to certain players, and statistically, it is unlikely that they will land on your team.

True

I liked this guy almost as much as Tate coming into last yrs draft. In fact I was hoping the combined draft that y'all did would be how the Texans went.

beerlover
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
RB Joique Bell was claimed on waivers by Tampa Bay, but he became a free agent because the Buccaneers also put in a claim for RB Kregg Lumpkin and they designated Lumpkin as a higher priority than Bell.

so he is now on the Bills practice squad, awaiting Texans call :phone:

Mari-OWNED!
09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
We don't have enough Colorado State guys on the roster.

I hear Gartrell Johnson is available. :D

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Beerlover, sorry I never saw your post.

Here's a piece from Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5986&line=180851&spln=1):

Joique Bell: Bills sign four to practice squad

Bills signed RB Joique Bell, FB Rodney Ferguson, OT Jason Watkins, and WR Naaman Roosevelt to their practice squad.

Buffalo will keep four spots open for now. Bell was among the league's preseason rushing leaders, but it's not surprising that he went unclaimed on waivers. He offers little in the passing game, and lacks NFL-caliber speed.

Sep. 5 - 5:44 pm et
Source: Buffalo News