PDA

View Full Version : The Call Which Stood Out

gary
08-15-2010, 12:27 PM
The Texans were flaged last night for a head to head on a defenceless wideout which cost them 15 yards on one play. While I get the point why helmet to helmet calls are strictly enforced I still think it's just a bad rule. Why? Because on that certain type of play there really is not another way to tackle the guy if you saw the play JMO. If this does not belong in this forum then Mods please move. But, what do you think about that call and the rule? I know it's only preseason.

JB
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
The announcers were speculating that it was a helmet to helmet hit, but that is not what the ref called. He called the hit on a defenseless receiver. But it was a bs call. You got to be able to tackle the guy.

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
The announcers were speculating that it was a helmet to helmet hit, but that is not what the ref called. He called the hit on a defenseless receiver. But it was a bs call. You got to be able to tackle the guy.

Exactly, if Andre can have two seasons taking hits like he has without getting a penalty not sure why they feel the need to throw the flag on hits like that.

gary
08-15-2010, 12:52 PM
It looked to me as if that was about the only way to bring down the guy but I don't know.

dream_team
08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
it's pre-season for the refs too... at least that's what i tell myself. refs definitely helped the Cards come back.

also, i understand trying to help protect the players, but NFL has to worry about ruining this game and fans looking elsewhere for good football.

gary
08-15-2010, 01:44 PM
I that rule/call should be looked into.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 01:46 PM
The worst call was the one Kubes made not letting Rackers try a 51 yd game winning FG. That is the exact type of situation you look for in the K battle. Kubes blew it. IMHO

Looks like we are going to have the pleasure of watching the suckitude that is K.Brown for another year.

Hervoyel
08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Kubiak didn't blow anything last night. I agree with John McClain on this subject. Overtime in preseason should be outlawed. Who cares about the final score, I'd rather leave the field with as many players healthy as possible.

On the bullshit call I just don't care. You're going to get them all season long and there's nothing that can be done about it and no way to put a stop to it. Everybody gets bullshit calls. They're part of the game. The way to transcend the affects of a bullshit call is to not let it affect your play. The Texans seem to be getting to that point which is nice to see after so many years of watching a bad call throw them completely out of their rhythm.

Big Lou
08-15-2010, 02:00 PM
The Texans were flaged last night for a head to head on a defenceless wideout which cost them 15 yards on one play. While I get the point why helmet to helmet calls are strictly enforced I still think it's just a bad rule. Why? Because on that certain type of play there really is not another way to tackle the guy if you saw the play JMO. If this does not belong in this forum then Mods please move. But, what do you think about that call and the rule? I know it's only preseason.

I thought the flag was for delay of game because the punk WR spiked the ball. Where was the flag on that?

gary
08-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Yhea, everyone gets bad calls but in the NFL or in any sport for that matter there is always room for bad calls to be cut down on by a great margin JMO.

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 02:11 PM
The worst call was the one Kubes made not letting Rackers try a 51 yd game winning FG. That is the exact type of situation you look for in the K battle. Kubes blew it. IMHO

Looks like we are going to have the pleasure of watching the suckitude that is K.Brown for another year.

Actually you blew it, you do not kick game tying FGs to send a pre-season game into overtime. I swear some of you have no freaking clue as to what pre-season is all about...

Any coach that kicks a gm tying FG to go into overtime, is freaking moron but fans that think they should have kicked a gm tying FG to send it to overtime are even bigger ones....

gary
08-15-2010, 02:17 PM
It was kind of a meh call at the end IMO.

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
It was kind of a meh call at the end IMO.

I was just hoping nobody else got hurt. I wanted them to just take a knee and get the hell out of AZ

gary
08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I was just hoping nobody else got hurt. I wanted them to just take a knee and get the hell out of AZ
Me too.

Texas T
08-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Actually you blew it, you do not kick game tying FGs to send a pre-season game into overtime. I swear some of you have no freaking clue as to what pre-season is all about...

Any coach that kicks a gm tying FG to go into overtime, is freaking moron but fans that think they should have kicked a gm tying FG to send it to overtime are even bigger ones....

I would have liked him to do it only so that we could see how Rackers did.
They are supposed to be competing for a kicking job during the preseason also.

I'm not a fan of overtime in preseason either but I would have liked to see how he did in a "high pressure" situation. And again I know it's only preseason so not that much pressure.

But I guess the same could be said about Booty...

gary
08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Perhaps there should not even be OT in the preseason.

GP
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM

I've largely been supportive of your critiques in the past, but this one is way out in left field.

We're finally in a spot where we don't have to let emotions dictate what our players do out there in a preseason game. In the past, we would have been as desperate as the Cardinals were last night. We looked like the prepared, overly-talented team and they looked like garbage.

Kubiak might decide that he doesn't want those two kickers getting those kind of shots right now. Maybe he wants to wait until another game and run three straight HB dive plays around the 30-yard line to set up Rackers, then do the same thing for Brown in another game? Have you ever allowed yourself to think that Kubiak just might find a different place and time to evaluate them on an apples-to-apples basis?

If he had put Rackers out there and he misses it...what does that do to the whole week this week? Does it make Rackers feel like he blew his shot? Does he over-inflate Brown's ego this week, and he gets lazy and starts shanking kicks again? Maybe there is a better time and place to get their high-noon shoot-out on?

I mean, I don't know if this is the case or not. I am just speculating, same as you. I was very pleased with what I saw last night. VERY pleased.

dream_team
08-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I've largely been supportive of your critiques in the past, but this one is way out in left field.

We're finally in a spot where we don't have to let emotions dictate what our players do out there in a preseason game. In the past, we would have been as desperate as the Cardinals were last night. We looked like the prepared, overly-talented team and they looked like garbage.

Kubiak might decide that he doesn't want those two kickers getting those kind of shots right now. Maybe he wants to wait until another game and run three straight HB dive plays around the 30-yard line to set up Rackers, then do the same thing for Brown in another game? Have you ever allowed yourself to think that Kubiak just might find a different place and time to evaluate them on an apples-to-apples basis?

If he had put Rackers out there and he misses it...what does that do to the whole week this week? Does it make Rackers feel like he blew his shot? Does he over-inflate Brown's ego this week, and he gets lazy and starts shanking kicks again? Maybe there is a better time and place to get their high-noon shoot-out on?

I mean, I don't know if this is the case or not. I am just speculating, same as you. I was very pleased with what I saw last night. VERY pleased.

I agree... a 51-yarder is tough enough, even if the game wasn't on the line. Putting him in that tough of a situation wouldn't have helped anyone I think. I liked Kubiak's call... I don't know the play call, but I'm assuming it was a bunch of quick-outs to try to get 10 more yards. Then a 40-yarder with the game on the line is a much better measurement of how well Rackers would do under pressure.

It will be interesting to hear who's fault that last play was? Someone didn't pick up the blitz. Should Booty have recognized it and called him out before the snap? Or was JJ slow to read the blitz and didn't make the block fast enough? Or was there a mis-assignment on the OL?

gary
08-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Once season starts on that play I am kicking it simply because bad stuff happens and you may totally lose the chance to kick.

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Once season starts on that play I am kicking it simply because bad stuff happens and you may totally lose the chance to kick.

Exactly, had it been when the W's mattered, they kick the ball and go into OT...

I knew I could count on Gary's common football sense....

bah007
08-16-2010, 03:12 AM
The rules in the passing game keep getting worse. And it's going to keep happening so be prepared for more boneheaded calls like this one.

I don't blame the ref. He is doing his job according to the rulebook.

The problem is that the NFL dictates to the casual fan so that it can have the largest audience. The casual fan wants a 50-49 shootout with each QB throwing for 500 yards.

So what does the NFL do? They change the rules to make it illegal to hit the QB. They change the rules to make it nearly impossible for a CB to cover a WR. They change the rules to give WRs a better chance of catching the ball over the middle by outlawing hard hits.

And this trend will continue. Before long they will be playing flag football out there.

gary
08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
You have some who are going to argue that the game should be waterd down if we want it to continue. I understand the league is under fire to protect players more but as fans we want to see hard nosed football. What to do?

HOU-TEX
08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
There was another call I didn't really agree with against Bennett. I'm not a fan of his, but the interference call on him was kinda bogus, imo.

bah007
08-16-2010, 11:13 AM
There was another call I didn't really agree with against Bennett. I'm not a fan of his, but the interference call on him was kinda bogus, imo.

It was bogus but that's the way it's going to be called.

Fred should know better than to be hand fighting while the ball is in the air.

gary
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
If this continues the NFL will lose fans just like the NBA.

gary
08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
It was bogus but that's the way it's going to be called.

Fred should know better than to be hand fighting while the ball is in the air.Agreed.